New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy responds to Wieland
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the second edition of Terry Wieland’s book, Dangerous Game Rifles, he attacks both my business practices and the quality of my rifles. He was clever enough to refer to me only as an “American maker” -- but anyone who is knowledgeable about double rifles knows who he meant. Initially, I decided not to respond. However, posts on various bulletin boards and comments at the recent SCI convention caused me to reassess that decision.

Terry Wieland is an accomplished writer, so I assume that he crafted his comments with full-attention to word choice and sentence structure. For those of you who have a copy of the book, his remarks can be found on page 102. At no point does Wieland say that he has any personal experience with my rifles – in fact, he doesn’t even assert that he’s ever held one of them. I should also note that he has never visited my company and didn’t contact me about his concerns.

He begins by saying that “ I have never heard a positive word about the company’s products” and “From knowledgeable hunting clients to professional hunters in Africa, everyone I have spoken to who has used one of these rifles has been highly critical.”
It’s clear that he doesn’t spend much time (or perhaps any) on this site. I very much appreciate the kind words that have been posted about my rifles over many years. Ivory Beads in Covina, California, First Stop Guns in Sturgis, SD and Gulf Breeze Firearms in Gulf Breeze, Florida – all of which are fine gun dealers of some note, retail my rifles. Had he checked my website www.searcyent.com he could have easily determined the opinions of some of my clients.

Wieland also asserts that I “give” refurbished rifles at no cost to professional hunters so as to inflate the credibility of my product. Do I give away rifles? – you bet I do! I gave Kim Rhode a rifle when she won her first Olympic Gold Medal. I’ve donated a rifle as a fundraiser for my grand daughter’s softball league and I’ve donated 10 rifles to SCI, 4 to DSC, and 4 to the NRA to help raise money to protect our hunting and Second Amendment rights. Concerning ‘trades’, I have traded rifles for hunts. As many of you know, I am not a wealthy man – I live in Boron, California for god’s sake! I love to hunt dangerous game with my son and the rifles I build. I can only afford such Africa hunts if a PH thinks highly enough of my rifles to trade one for the cost of his services.

Weiland also tells a story that is attributed to Botswana professional hunter, Clive Eaton.
Allegedly, Eaton had major problems with one of my rifles and replaced it with a Westley Richards. I don’t know anything about the details presented by Wieland – but here’s what I do know. Eaton had problems with one of my rifles that had been repaired by a South African gunsmith. To solve his problem, I personally delivered an upgraded rifle to him in Botswana. He visited my booth at the recent SCI convention to thank me and tell me how well the rifle had served him.

I have no idea why Wieland is unhappy with me. I am content in the knowledge that more than 40 PHs use my rifles and that my clients are satisfied. If a client has problems with one of my rifles, I do everything possible to make him or her happy.

I’ll close with a quote from customer for whom I built a .470 NE Deluxe grade rifle. “Thank you for making such a treasured masterpiece of form, function and art for me.”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the first edition of his book. These attacks do not due the reputation of Terry Wieland any good. Passing on heresay as fact and not checking things out with the source is irresponsible. His readers deserve better.

It seems like Butch's donations benefit all Americans, not just shooters and hunters. I wonder how much, if anything Mr. Wieland has given in that area.

What is wrong with trading a rifle for a hunt? Nothing. It is called barter and nothing to be ashamed of. All it shows that PHs think highly enough of Butch's rifles to exchange their professional services for the work of another professional.

I won't bother buying any more of Mr. Wieland's books until he cleans up his act.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Just today, I was quoted over $40,000 for daily rates for a safari for an elephant hunt in super prime area of Botswana. If a PH is giving up a quota bull in trade for that kind of money, I'd think he likes what he's bartering for.

Now that Weiland has his panties in a wad about California Rigby's, I wonder if his stance (and motive) is somewhat abated?

I'm looking forward to shooting an elephant sometime early next month with a Searcy .450 Nitro Express. I'd kind of like to do the same thing to a particular writer, except my Searcy isn't accurate enough to made a brain shot on a pea-sized target.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

No pics, no get to go to Botswana :-)

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed reading Terry's first book but I think that sometimes you have to take what he says with a grain of salt and he clearly has a bias in favor of the English makers. I have to confess that sometimes I grow weary of all this talk about rising bite actions and chopper lump barrels. A double needs to regulate, handle well, and go bang every time. I think that Seacy makes a fine gun and so does Merkel, Krieghoff, Heym, and Blaser and one could argue that if these companies can make a gun that will handle and shoot as well as the English guns for so much less money, who indeed makes the better gun? In addition, I sometimes think that he talks about things that I am not sure that he has much experience with such as the .500 Jeffery as well as some of his more recent comments about the ultra large bores. Just because Terry says if doesn't make is so but I still like reading his tales of Africa

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
I enjoyed reading Terry's first book but I think that sometimes you have to take what he says with a grain of salt and he clearly has a bias in favor of the English makers. he

Don't a lot of us have a bias towards English guns ?

But even if we do, that's not to say their is anything wrong with a Searcy
and not to say that they aren't good, well made solid guns, just of a different colour.

As you say,the same as Merkel et al.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
500N:

If I was buying a gun for an investment, probably an English gun would be my preference but I buy guns to shoot and hunt with so the answer is no, I don't have that English bias. I love my Krieghoff and god help me, I love my Blaser S2 as well. Lately, I have been looking at a Verney-Carron. I just think that the English guns are outrageously overpriced. Just my two cents.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I own two of Butch's doubles, a .500 and a .450/.400. Nothing Terry Wieland has to say is going to change my opinion of Butch and his rifles. The man and his rifles are both great. In fact I had my .450/.400 at the range several weeks ago. It is so accurate with a scope at 50 yards that I am tempted to take it on my upcoming croc and hippo hunt. I have not purchased Wieland's new book and this is another good reason not to. I am reminded of that old saying, that opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and they generally stink. Some stink more than others though.

For those that may be interested, scroll down on this thread for pictures of my Searcy .450/.400. It is as beautiful as it shoots.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=102101786#102101786

Mike

Posts: 21371 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Butch,
This is the same whiner that thinks there's no place for bigbore rifles in hunting.

You make a fine product

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38593 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 3 weeks JudgeG and I will both be chasing Ele in Zim, both armed with Searcy 450 3 1/4 DRs. Now, Butch, if you wanted to REALLY create a Searcy Butt-Boy out here in the field, I'd listen to a screaming deal on that 577 underlever you sent me pix of a few weeks ago!!!!!

Posts: 20137 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
500N:

If I was buying a gun for an investment, probably an English gun would be my preference but I buy guns to shoot and hunt with so the answer is no, I don't have that English bias. I love my Krieghoff and go help me, I love my Blaser S2 as well. Lately, I have been looking at a Verney-Carron. I just think that the English guns are outrageously overpriced. Just my two cents.

Dave

My comment was a bit "tongue in cheek".

I also buy DR's to hunt with, except for a few collectables.

I also own a few European DR's, 2 x Merkels.

The couple of Searcy's I have seen have looked and felt fine to me.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to compare the "body of work" of Butch Searcy and Terry Weiland about thirty seconds to figure out which is "the Man" and which is the bitch.
Wienerland is having some issues with Kalifornia Rigby about not paying or returning a DR.
Apparently he couldn't even get that far with Butch.
Hopefully, he won't be able to con the new London Rigby out of one either.

Those of you with an opinion can call or Email Wolfe Publishing and tell them what you think of their new prize bull(shitter).

Oh. yeah, I picked up my Searcy .470 NE about three hours ago, and it will go Bang-Bang! The Westley Richards stuff put two softs and two solids in just a hair over 2" at fifty yards off sticks. I switched barrels for the second pair of shots, it has no preference as to which load goes in which barrel!

Rich
exceeds all expectations.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...strange, mr. wieland speaks so highly of us bolt action riflemakers...but i suppose only british and spanish gunmakers are able to make quality doubles...

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately simply because a guy writes a book many think the indicates he's an expert, and they tend to believe him!

Butch has nothing to worry about! His product speaks for it's self, an anyone who knows the man will know he is the real deal! I'm not saying Mr. Wieland is lying, but I will say what he is writing is only his opinion, and not founded in fact! As I have said on many occasions, and have been taken to the woodshed for my transgressions on the holey grail of gun writers world, Many gun writers write some of the most ridiculous misinformation as fact, and are believed by many as gospel. This writing by Mr. Wieland, IMO, is one of those occasions!

................... BOOM........... diggin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Makes me think of the 1901 Packard slogan - "Ask the man who owns one".

(I wasn't around then but Butch was)

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll never be able to afford a Searcy. But I'll always remember the time I visited the Searcy booth at SCI Reno a couple of years ago.

I didn't know a thing about double rifles and it was obvious to everyone I was a tire kicker. And yet Butch gave me his full attention, spent a great deal of time with me, answered all my questions and invited me to come back and visit again.

But Jesus, Butch. Boron?

114-R10David

Posts: 1751 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Hi Butch

I had the pleasure of speaking with you regarding one for your rifles for sale on gunsamerica. You had no interest or "profit" in the transaction, but still you were every gracious and generous with your time.

I appreciated that!

I have also heard many happy owners speak well of your rifles, hunters as well as PHs.

My humble opinion is that you are at the top of the world in terms of your rifles and your approach to your customers and business in general.

Thank you!

PS isn't there a Federal Prison in Boron? Big Grin

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
PS isn't there a Federal Prison in Boron?

Yes, with some pretty nice gunmaking machinery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 20137 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm past the 'Tirekicker' stage, well into the Research Stage, and already decided that I'll be getting a Searcy if God lets me live long enough.If I'M going to pop several Large for a rifle it had BETTER damn well have Excellent Customer Service and Relations. Mr. Searcy's reputation is doing it's Job, at least in MY case.

Posts: 225 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
There are gunwriters and then there are GUNWRITERS. Craig Boddington in Safari Rifles II writes:

"Butch Searcy . . . has made as many double rifles as anyone alive, from boxlocks to very nice sidelocks, and the price and availability of his rifles has had much to do with the double rifle's renaissance. I have never owned a Searcy rifle, but almost everyone who has them swears by them. The most common are very basic boxlocks, plain but hell for stout . . . In June 2007 I hunted in Botswana and Johan Calitz, a longtime buddy of Butch Searcy, . . . was carrying an extremely nice Searcy .470 sidelock."

Johan Calitz can carry any double he wants to, the fact that he uses a Searcy says alot.

Mike

Posts: 21371 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Butch,
For what it's worth... If I were in the market for a fresh rifle, sight unseen, I'd go for yours before some of the others around entirely based on your reputation. In fact, one of yours should be here in a month or so and I can't wait to see one in the flesh!!
I don't have alot of esteem for alot of todays outdoors writers.. Blow it off!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
Being a "Searcy worshiper", as some of us were referred to, on another thread...I would like to see some more pictures of that rising bite action you were developing.... Cool Cool
Thanks, ND Smiler

MJines,
That is a FANTASTIC stock on your Searcy!!!
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Johan Calitz can carry any double he wants to, the fact that he uses a Searcy says alot.

+1

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frankly I would not spend too much time on it. Many times Writers in general and Gun writers in particular write really silly stuff just try to get attention to their writing hoping maybe people buy a book just to see what other kinda crap is in it.

I've never read any of Terry's stuff and now I guess I never will.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magazines take a long time to reach Africa...but Terry got the history of the .458 Lott wrong in the latest issue I recieved...All Writers make misstakes- myself included- and when revising an older work, you tend not to (try) and rewite the whole thing...so mistakes sometimes, get left in. I know Craig B basically rewrote every line of Safari Rifles - 20 years of extra experience meant that there was a slightly different outlook on evwerything!

Years ago I aquired a Searcy double- It arrived in Zim on a Kenya airways flight with no owner, and after two years in storage was sold off by Civil Aviation- and I got it (sight unseen) for less than US$500. All I can say is YUK- that was over priced. ...however Through AR, Too many Americans kept saying good things about the rifles...and I know very few Americans have any taste at all when it comes to fine firearms sofa but a few of you do and you couldn't all be wrong...so I went along to the booth and picked up a few...then I had a client bring one...and I got quite alot of use out of it burning up all his ammo (he bought so many curios he just couldn't take any ammo home and was a little recoil sensitive). It was a .470 and a real joy to shoot. I certainly would have no reservations about using one or recomending one now.

However, somebody will probably still quote that 1993/4 atricle I wrote for magnum where I critised an 'American made double rifle' as having all the feel and finess of a mopane log...

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

it is good to know that hoof-in-mouth-disease knows no time or international boundaries...

Ummmm, don't you and Wienieland write for the same company?
regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Butch
I read his book and saw this so i went to see a friend of mine who bought a 450-400 from you.Now unless i am on another planet i held a rifle that i have pictures of and dream of the day i can get one to take on a buff hunt (all be it water buff)fantastic workmanship in my eye ...I'm no expert but i kow good workmanship when I see it!!!! WELL DONE SIR and keep up the great work,enjoy your traded hunts and i will one day hopefully order that dream 470NE from you beer

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Ganyana,

it is good to know that hoof-in-mouth-disease knows no time or international boundaries...

Ummmm, don't you and Wienieland write for the same company?
regards,

Rich

I think Butch's rifles have evolved to be better and better, and I reckon Ganyana was referring to that. I certainly like my newest as the best of the four I've had.

Eighteen days and a wake up and I'm enroute to go use my latest Searcy on an elephant.

Mr. Wieland will probably be worrying about lawsuits while I'll be humping up and down a hill or two with my .450 N.E. on my shoulder; me with complete confidence in my double.... a bit more, shall I ponder that the cuckold Mr. Wieland must have in women...

Speaking of humping, though, maybe Mr. Wieland is a wittol and if so, I apologize for my suggestion as to his worry about his lost love?

dancing

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
What is most amazing is the credibility that readers assign to any gun writer or any TV chick or any YouTube wonder dog.

Hey, these guys (all of them) have a schedule to meet and have to crank out stuff as they have decided that they must write (or talk) for a living. What they write ain't necessarily true, eh?

It is interesting that folks pretty much believe anything they see or read. Geez, I've bought so much junk based upon what some other dude has pitched.

I think there was a lot of criticism of TW's book on dangerous game rifles, was there not? I didn't read it but these guys running around shooting off their mouths with no experience, what do you expect?

It's hard to take criticism but ya gotta consider the source. If nothing else, taking on the business making USA double rifles is quite the courageous act. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19331 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry Butch, I tried to read Terry's book and never got to page 100. It put me to sleep faster than a couple shoot of wild turkey.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
As much as I enjoy reading 'Elmer Keith', I think most today would agree that his writings are a little dated as well. I also think that if one is in a position to purchase one of your fine rifles, then they will do a little more research and figure it all out. From the little I have seen, you produce a fine product today, and need not be too concerned. I do enjoy reading Terry's stuff, as I have a couple of his books myself; but there are a few subjects from him that are suspect, and most know it. He has written that the .375 Ruger was a complete failure when it came to reloading for example. I have one and have found the total opposite.
No worries mate!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Butch,
It is very unfortunate the comments were made in a book that no doubt will be read by many people. I read Terry’s first book and found it to be a little short on facts and long on bias opinions. It became very clear to me early in the book that Terry was pushing CA Rigby doubles and Empire Rifles bolt guns. It is my opinion that this was the general purpose of this book….to sell their product. I find it humorous that Terry now has totally reversed his opinions on the CA Rigby operation and is now attempting to slander their operation in his recent writings. This alone speaks volumes for his credibility as a writer. I further find it interesting that he is currently pushing the new London Rigby operation. It will be interesting to see how much press he gives this new company. I hope that firm has taken the time to think about who they have chosen to sleep with and the possibility of a similar “change in opinion” once the free rifles are delivered and a new company becomes the focus of his agenda. I have yet to see a tiger change the color of his stripes.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is most amazing is the credibility that readers assign to any gun writer or any TV chick or any YouTube wonder dog.

Hey, these guys (all of them) have a schedule to meet and have to crank out stuff as they have decided that they must write (or talk) for a living. What they write ain't necessarily true, eh?

Well put Will.

Craig did it right by complmenting Butch due to his reputation and citing an example of personal interaction in the field with a Searcy owner (and a quite famous one at that).

Keep it up Butch....JW

(disclaimer: I do not own a Searcy rifle)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DW,

you could have typed all day and not had to badmouth my hero; Elmer Merrifield Keith. The only thing at all "dated" about his book "Safari" is that the Dangerous Game animals he shot dwarf most of the same species coming out of Africa today. Remember, he actually owned, and shot, most of the name British Double Rifles we fantasize about today. Drive over and I'll take you to Cabela's in Boise to see his collection of fine firearms on display there and his ivory.

Rich
need to wash your mouth out with soap...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This Wieland/big bore thing just will not die.

Idaho, I believe that this is all your fault. Not sure how/why it's your fault, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Big Grin

I have Wieland's books. All I can say for sure is that he is absolutely besotted with all things Holland & Holland and anything in .458 Lott. Fine by me.

You men surely are lucky that I'm around to solve the Wieland/Searcy contretempts for you. Simple. Mr. Wieland should not buy a Searcy. Mr. Searcy should continue manufacturing doubles that many customers seem to love.

Wasn't that easy?

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
DW,

you could have typed all day and not had to badmouth my hero; Elmer Merrifield Keith. The only thing at all "dated" about his book "Safari" is that the Dangerous Game animals he shot dwarf most of the same species coming out of Africa today. Remember, he actually owned, and shot, most of the name British Double Rifles we fantasize about today. Drive over and I'll take you to Cabela's in Boise to see his collection of fine firearms on display there and his ivory.

Rich
need to wash your mouth out with soap...

Idaho, Elmer is my main man as well. It's that the bullets available back then are a little different then the one's available today. And the bullet availability is what Elmer based his comments on. Technoligy has change a little since he wrote what he did. That's all I'm saying. That is what makes it dated.
Most folk call BS on Elmer for his long range handgun shooting ability. I have a good friend that has witnessed Elmers handgun ability, and he could do it. And as I understand from him; do it even when hammerd on fine whiskey!
So no worries Idaho; I'll be right there with you in defending Elmer!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mauser93,

what's your point?

My wife thinks Global Warming is my fault.
Y'all that have met me know I got broad shoulders, just go ahead and throw all that weight on me. Everything but the last prezidential election; I am NOT taking the rap for that one...

regards,

Rich
just sitting here with my Searcy .470 NE across my lap as I type!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho, you weren't psaying enough attention. What I said was, "That's my story and I'm sticking to it."

Also, your wife may be onto something....

I am much amused by the fact that the mere words "Terry Wieland" have become red meat on AR. Not at the Mark Sullivan level, of course. Thank God.

Good hunting to you, sir. Pics of the new Searcy at your early convenience, please.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mauser93:

I have Wieland's books. All I can say for sure is that he is absolutely besotted with all things Holland & Holland and anything in .458 Lott.

I agree thumb

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

posted Hide Post
Whenever I see a thread that is so blatantly one-sided, it makes me want to get on the other side, sometimes for no other reason than to bring some balance into the argument.

Terry Weiland doesn't think much of Butch Searcy rifles, he doesn't think they are reliable, he doesn't think they are well made and he doesn't think they are worth the money. Well, good for Terry Weiland. There is nothing wrong with his opinions; we all have them.

For saying this however, he is being demonized. People who have never read his book are saying he doesn't know what he is talking about and are declaring: I'll never read his book!" (With a mind that produces that sort of logic, the guy probably couldn't read it anyway).

Double rifles are expensive due to the work involved and traditionally have been made in England and Continental Europe. These expensive rifles, when exported to the US, become even more expensive due to US import taxes and shipping costs. The facts seem to me that Butch Searcy has build his reputation because he is American, making cheap double rifles for Americans, when the US is not well served by double-rifle makers. So, Butch cleans up on a mix of patriotism, cheap-for-product terms and good marketing. Good for Butch.

And Butch Searcy rifles are cheap, no doubt about it. I don't think they are good as Merkel, and probably not as good as Krieghoff. (So demonise me too, I couldn't care less). As for comparing them to Holland & Holland, Westley Richards, Purdey and other top gunmakers; that's just plain foolish. People comment, Why pay all that money for an English Double?". Here's the answer: it's because ninety-nine times out of a hundred the person saying that can't afford one.

When a car nut wins a few million dollars on the lottery, they don't usually go running down to the dealership and buy the Ford of their dreams, they go and buy a Ferrari or a Lamborghini or a Bentley. In the same way, if a shooter strikes gold and decides to award himself a new custom built double rifle, he will probably head for Holland & Holland, Rigby or Westley Richards.

If you want a cheap gun that you are going to shoot a few times a year and if money is a constraint then by one built by Butch Searcy. It will do the job.

If you want a gun that is an object of great beauty and mystique, that has been serving hunters for over a hundred years, that has reached a pinnacle of technical excellence, that will never let you down and which will appreciate in value each and every year: buy one of the great English double rifles. That's what Terry Weiland is saying - I agree with him.

Posts: 8 | Location: England | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote