New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy responds to Wieland
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike...no not silly. If a company is terying to 'get rifles into the hands of PH's' and pushing such sales, then they need an African based back up system.

If a rifle is sold, new and under waranty only in the USA, well then you know. If it is sold that it is under waranty for the lifetime of the original purchaser...Either the product must be so good that there are never any comebacks or the company concerned must have a plan. As I say, H&H found a legal way to get a rifle back from Zim, offered the PH a temporary replacement, fix the problem and return the rifle...At NO cost and minimal inconvienience and Paperwork by the rifles owner - he just had to sign the form for the temp export.

It is part of what you pay for when you buy quality.

I have no trouble with a maker stating that they can offer no waranty or back up in Africa. Zoli make that clear, and I recall Chapuis stating that they would offer suport but not a full service to those outside certain countries.

It is part of the decision makiking process when you consider buying a new rifle. It also says alot about the makers confidence in their product when they say, 'yup, that has a full waranty even though you live in Zimbabwe, Iran, Sudan, North Korea...' as obviously they are going to make a huge loss if the rifle packs up somewhere odd and they have to honour that waranty. Wink

Unfortunately I cannot afford a H&H or Purdy double- so I have to look at the next level down, and part of that is- is their back up? or does the rifle need back up?

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
If a rifle is sold, new and under waranty only in the USA, well then you know. If it is sold that it is under waranty for the lifetime of the original purchaser...Either the product must be so good that there are never any comebacks or the company concerned must have a plan. As I say, H&H found a legal way to get a rifle back from Zim, offered the PH a temporary replacement, fix the problem and return the rifle...At NO cost and minimal inconvienience and Paperwork by the rifles owner - he just had to sign the form for the temp export.

Now that is what is called a quality warranty service. tu2

It is interesting that the issue of back up repairs is so important to some makers and not others. Surely getting a rifle out in a condition unlikely to require to be sent back to the maker is what really is the real issue?

Given that a back up service should ONLY be required for a SMALL number of rifles sold.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graeme,
I'm going to make your day. I plan on being in Maun the later part of this year. I will personlly fix your rifle at that time, that is if you would still want it fixed. Johan Calitz office will notify you when I make final plans for my arrival.
My email: searcy@ccis.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, now what will we complain about if you fix it?

Posts: 1293 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch Searcy:
Graeme,
I'm going to make your day. I plan on being in Maun the later part of this year. I will personlly fix your rifle at that time, that is if you would still want it fixed. Johan Calitz office will notify you when I make final plans for my arrival.

Now that is a heck of an offer. tu2

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Graeme,

Just make sure and explain to the daft bastard all of the features on the rifle. I.E. Graeme, this is a safety, this is a trigger, this one fires this barrel this fires the other barrel, this rifle has ejectors, this is a top lever.... Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surestrike...no not silly. If a company is terying to 'get rifles into the hands of PH's' and pushing such sales, then they need an African based back up system.

It is part of what you pay for when you buy quality.

I have no trouble with a maker stating that they can offer no waranty or back up in Africa. Zoli make that clear, and I recall Chapuis stating that they would offer suport but not a full service to those outside certain countries.

It is part of the decision makiking process when you consider buying a new rifle. It also says alot about the makers confidence in their product when they say, 'yup, that has a full waranty even though you live in Zimbabwe, Iran, Sudan, North Korea...' as obviously they are going to make a huge loss if the rifle packs up somewhere odd and they have to honour that waranty. Wink

Unfortunately I cannot afford a H&H or Purdy double- so I have to look at the next level down, and part of that is- is their back up? or does the rifle need back up?

Butch had a repair facility in South Africa. I don't know what ever became of that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, considering the rifle went to SBB from a client and not direct from Butch, I reckon the offer made here is hard to beat tu2 Butch

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
Butch
Thank you for your kind offer , please be aware that I am more then willing to pay for any time or service to get the firearm functional. My email is saf.bots@info.bw and my landline is 6863055 from Botswana.
Graeme

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
surestrike - thanks for help may have missed out without your help , Freud had some theories about names or insinuations in a name people gave themselfes ??? who you trying to convince

quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
Graeme,

Just make sure and explain to the daft bastard all of the features on the rifle. I.E. Graeme, this is a safety, this is a trigger, this one fires this barrel this fires the other barrel, this rifle has ejectors, this is a top lever.... Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
possibly a correction on your post needs to be made - just a suggestion

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
here is Ganyana again: stir

Do you ever get tired of taking a small stick and swirling exotic patterns in fresh Buffalo dung?

If he has a repair shop in Africa, does he need one in each country?
Should he have a full service shop in each country he would sell a rifle in?
Perhaps he should have a small box truck, fully equipped, so he can take a phone call and just drive out to the camp?
Better yet, buy a Chinook helicopter so he could offer quicker turn around.

Perhaps the various PH associations in Africa should combine some of the Tip-$$$ for a year and simply start up their own Firearms company and begin production of Double Rifles.

Reach down to your ankle and start reeling in the tether line. Get both feet back on the ground, you're a little TOO lightheaded today.

I checked: Holland does not offer repairs in Africa, neither does Westley-Richards, nor Purdey, or any other DR manufacturer I have checked on their website.

I think it is time for SBB to tell us the entire truth of how the Searcy rifle came to be in his possession, and what the contents, powder, bullet, primer, etc were of every round that was fired in the rifle, including round count of factory and whose it was. And the EXACT circumstances of how and when the issues began.

Last, but not least; SBB has not responded, in private, or public to my generous offer to buy the Searcy Double Rifle and pay the costs to return it to the US. Can you help me there?

regards,

Rich

PS: lest you or anyone else here who reads this think I am being a bit facetious...
The answer is YES! But not about buying the rifle "As is" and getting it back here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
done.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch ,
Its the 19th of August 2010 , I have not heard a word from you or Johan Calitz's office - I leave Saterday for 4 back to back elephant hunts but my wife can get the gun to you as soon as you advise her through email saf.bots@info.bw or telephone 686 3055.
Lets hope this was not a decoy
Graeme

quote:
Graeme,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graeme,
Do you not have my email address. Just in case here it is.
searcy@ccis.com

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's tough to put much stock in someone who can't spell simple words or compose a grammatically correct sentence.

Rich

Damn it Rich I resemble that remark! sofa

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's tough to put much stock in someone who can't spell simple words or compose a grammatically correct sentence.

Rich

like twain, poe, and einstein?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

but you are intelligent and a true gentleman. So, we cut you some slack...

Jeffe,

we grant some leeway to those with an IQ over 140.
When I took the MENSA Test they told me that.

These days we expect spell check to make up the difference below the 100 bar.

jumping

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Hi Butch,
I remember when you were starting here in Farmington. Well done amigo!

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have bet my Pebble Beach U.S. Open hat that this thread died monhs ago...mercifully.

But, no.

I have a question. Idaho has previously chided me for not understanding the sense of double-rifle ownership. He was right. So help me out. Is being clinically insane an absolute prequisite to DR enthusiasm?

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, but a sense of history and a wish to be a part of the group that perpetuates the legacy is. Besides, both of my Double Rifles go Boom-Boom if I ask them to.
Bolt rifles go Boom-clacka-ching-clacka-Boom!

I did the peanut butter & jelly sandwich thing for two years to afford my Searcy .470 NE. I could have purchased five CZ big bore bolt rifles for the same $$$.

You come to the DR/Big Bore rifle match in Houston in October. Shoot a couple. Then, you'll understand.

I have a friend who has been married four times. He shakes his head and tells me "It would be cheaper to pick up a hooker twice a week and pay some lady to clean my house...".
Same crazy sort of addiction.

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
surestrike - thanks for help may have missed out without your help , Freud had some theories about names or insinuations in a name people gave themselfes ??? who you trying to convince

SBB,

The daftness continues and grows. You've never hunted with hounds have you?

I hope that your rifle is fixed to your satisfaction. Best of luck on your up coming season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SS,

I thought the avatar would have been a dead giveaway, but what do I know...?
What breed are the dogs?

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok - so now the season ends on the 21st of this month - ie in 4 days time - and guess what - not a peep from Mr Searcy - now that we can see clearly about promises made on a public forum - the least the band of clowns can do is eat their words and apologize - but hey you need to be a big person to apologize so I wont hold my breath - but in case some of you missed out - scroll back and read about Mr. Searcy's grand gesture to take a look at his piece of crap i am in possession of and his loyal supporters are reluctant to take off my hands at a cheap rate of $10 000-00 -- O Butch - I have been speaking to a friend of Tony Tomkinson ( well known PH and conservationist) , I am hoping to have him comment on this forum soon , after all you did ask for PH's to come forth.
Anyway no different to what I had said before to much attack by the clown club , but I am sure they will have an excuse for this as well
By the way the Blaser S2 worked solidly and faultless for the entire season and we finished 22 plus elephant hunts, guess what we spoke about a whole lot - yup you guessed it - Double rifles - the good ones and the bad ones.
Happy hunting
Graeme Pollock

quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

SBB,

I hope that your rifle is fixed to your satisfaction. Best of luck on your up coming season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SureSt...
Yes , if you go back to 1995 you would uncover that the first 2 companies to offer leopards over hounds was Clive Eaton and ourselfes in the Ghanzi district of Botswana
??? why ???
Graeme Pollock

SBB,

I hope that your rifle is fixed to your satisfaction. Best of luck on your up coming season.[/QUOTE]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, considering the rifle went to SBB from a client and not direct from Butch, I reckon the offer made here is hard to beat tu2 Butch

Ok so is the thumb still up , errrrr
scratches head , sucks thumb - comes up with some defence comment .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch had a repair facility in South Africa. I don't know what ever became of that.[/QUOTE]

Surestrike

So far I heard Butch did and there was a guy called Pieter or something but rumour has it things went sour - my guess there is just so much repair one gunsmith can handle from one gunmaker- dont worry I am finding out and hopefully will have some feedback soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graeme,
You obviously are hell bent on slandering me on this forum. If you would have read my response from your last post you would know that I asked you to email me directly. And if would have done that you would known that I'm going to have my shop forman in Maun the 7th of Oct.
Right now as far as I'm concerned you can stick that rifle up your ass. Because he won't be doing anything for you.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
yuck

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Is that what they call a b***h slap? clap

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Right now as far as I'm concerned you can stick that rifle up your ass

Amen.

Posts: 1293 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Is that what they call a bitch slap? clap

No, it's called a "Butch slap", and he was right in giving one IMHO.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Just make sure that the thing is fully loaded and make sure to jiggle both triggers at once! Big Grin Maybe it'll work that time!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

don't sit by the mailbox waiting for a Christmas Card from SBB...

My Grandfather once told me, some people would kick if you hung them with a brand new rope.

Rich
Searcy .470 NE DR
works every time...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something must here have went wrong. SBB has no other interest, than to get his gun fixed, and Butch has no other interest than to show he is a stand-up guy for all who shoots his doubles. Confused

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Jens,
Butch is a stand up guy, a FACT we all know. There are various opinions about the product he produces but in the end we all know that he stands behind anyting with his name on it. Even after the Slander from SBB he still offered to repair the rifle. Clearly this is not a Butch issue.

This whole thing has become quite funny to be honest and in the end has done nothing more than confirm that Butch is a stand up guy. I would have told the Botswanna prick to stick it long ago....But I am also a Johnny Cash fan!

Gramme is clearly what we americans call a FUCKWAD. For those not familiar with this term let me provide the scientific definition. I hate swearing or using vulgar words but sometimes I have no choice but to do so.

The fuckwad theory was developed by the folks at Penny-Arcade and is generally more or less true. The cause is the internet and the anonymity that comes with it. People become fuckwads over a period of time for some people, for some people it happens instantly.

The cause is quite obvious, when they find anonymity in its ultimate form on the internet or when they realise they can be harsh and not suffer any repercussions (both consciously and physically).
Don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t happen to everyone, but it invariably does happen to people who are jerks at heart.

So just what is the fuckwad theory? Well it’s everything and nothing simultaneously, it is a yes and a no. It defines the online social network that is the internet by categorizing them into two broad yet specific groups of people. It probably is the only two people that populate the internet.

It is of course a proven theory, so just know that I am not shoving random crap down your throat. The theory has as such has pretty much shown that the internet is a very defined ying yang.

Looking at it like that we can of course see that if this is the case then the internet is a two way absolute, we have the yes and the no, the ping and the pong, the fuckwad and the non-fuckwad.

How do you know you’re a fuckwad or not, or how do you know someone else is or isn’t? Well in general fuckwads are a combination of several character traits that are... lets say less than respectable.

Please note they don’t need to have all these traits to be fuckwads, fuckwads speaking in the loosest of terms are those who are generally jerks. I’m sure you know what a jerk is, here I am going to specific traits of fuckwads.

They are, or even not, high achievers but either way they like to think of themselves as such, either way they lack the confidence of being high achievers and as such go extremely defensive when any one of their ‘achievements’ are brought into question, or in general even mildly looked down upon. Sometimes to such a degree that even commenting on something that isn’t even related to their achievements can in fact put them on a defensive edge.

Also due to the aforementioned ‘trait’ you’ll find they have a habit of putting people down, whoever they are, whatever they do, they’ll put people down, tell them they suck, or cut communications with them just because they think of them as so great. They do this for a number of reasons, but usually only because they get a feeling of accomplishment from putting people down, makes them think they are better at whatever it is they do.

Often looking at themselves highly they’ll have an over stylised display picture on online networks, such as forums or blogospheres. Now here it gets interesting, if their little display picture is not a picture of them you can safely assume they are low level to midlevel fuckwads.

However if the picture contains their face and is over stylised such as if it were black and white, or with dabs of colour that makes the image look ‘slick’ you’ll know for sure one thing, while they can still be low level to midlevel fuckwads, there's a great chance that they are high-level fuckwads, a level other fuckwads have wet dreams and/or masturbate over.

Please note this is highly dependant on the nature of the display picture and on the level of other fuckwad-like traits the person may have. Also note that sometimes it doesn’t even mean they are fuckwads at all, however more often than not it does.

Well perhaps I am being shallow judging if someone is a fuckwad or not based on something like a display picture, but I urge the reader to understand, fuckwads are always very shallow characters, so screw being nice to them, they are shallow dickheads and should be treated as such.

Another more common trait, is that fuckwads are cowards. If things turn against them they’ll either pretend the situation isn’t as bad as it might seem or they’ll do whatever is in their power to remove the offending material. Ok, how would this work?

Lets say they start a post showing off their uptight fuckwadyness (something they are especially good at), and they garner some support for it with comments such ‘yo that's true’ and ‘great post’ another will say. Along comes those who have been offended by said fuckwad, they’ll attack this fuckwad and expose his true self, then along comes support for these people, and more, and more, eventually the fuckwad is cornered, he/she knows it’s over, so what does the fuckwad do? The fuckwad deletes the post, so all the comments are lost, the fuckwad can finally emerge and finally sit in his/her little chair of illusionary self satisfaction without anyone jeopardizing it with facts and realities.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! And I thought they were just a--holes!
Wink
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I like the f**kwad theory and personally I believe it to be true. I think the anonymity of the forum and the internet just proves too irresistable to some folks that feel like life cheated them at some point and they now get to act out without consequences.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
SS,

I thought the avatar would have been a dead giveaway, but what do I know...?
What breed are the dogs?

Rich

Rich

I hunt with Jadgterriers. I was breeding, training and selling them but have backed way off on that as it is a major PITA given my time constraints.

"SureSt...
Yes , if you go back to 1995 you would uncover that the first 2 companies to offer leopards over hounds was Clive Eaton and ourselfes in the Ghanzi district of Botswana
??? why ???
Graeme Pollock"

I am sure it's just an American colloquialism but here goes Graeme. When a dog is searching for a scent trail we call it "casting". When they hit the trail and sound off we call it a "strike". When you've got a proven dog who only sounds off on a sure thing trail IE there is a good chance that you are going to make a catch if that dog strikes we call him a surestrike dog. I am proud to have owned and trained a couple of those type of dogs. Both of which are pictured in my avatar. Hence the call sign.

What do you think Freud would have had to say about that? lol

Here you go.

Here is how I spend most of my spare time and money. Using my dogs to find targets for my double rifles.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by foxhound:
Wink
Rick

No Rick, an AH is not anonymous. An AH may also be quite smart & just be a pain in the but, nasty, arrogant etc.

But an FW is anonymous & often quite dumb. Imagine having a double rifle for 10 years that needs to be fixed, no warranty, no reliable repair option, cannot export it out of his jungle, he wants $10,000 for it and thinks he is doing a favour to someone by asking them to take it off him for that kind of money, he gets an offer to have it fixed and given an email address to contact.....and what does he do??? Piss all over his Single Malt! Definitely FW!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
quote:
Originally posted by foxhound:
Wink
Rick

No Rick, an AH is not anonymous. An AH may also be quite smart & just be a pain in the but, nasty, arrogant etc.

But an FW is anonymous & often quite dumb. Imagine having a double rifle for 10 years that needs to be fixed, no warranty, no reliable repair option, cannot export it out of his jungle, he wants $10,000 for it and thinks he is doing a favour to someone by asking them to take it off him for that kind of money, he gets an offer to have it fixed and given an email address to contact.....and what does he do??? Piss all over his Single Malt! Definitely FW!

Yep stupid assed FW doesn't even begin to describe this guy. Sounds like at least a portion of his clients meet that description too. A client who doesn't know what kind of rifle he owns or how it operates. WOW!!

It has become evident that this isn't about getting a rifle fixed for Mr. SBB. He just wants to show the world that he's a magnum sized wanker.