Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy responds to Wieland
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
PLEASE...moderators, kill this zombie of a thread and put us all our of our collective miseries so everyone can move on with their lives. This is what psychiatrists call the "Crazy Cycle". (I know, I just contributed to the agony of the living, and posting, dead.)

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
clapnice slap Butch nuff said Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he's had waaaay too much intimate contact with one or more somebodies with magnum wankers. It's making him a wee bit cranky...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
Butch - I never expected anything else from you but consistent bullshit , I wrote how many times to you advising I had not heard from you and the season was coming to an end - I gave you my email address telephone number etc a simple response would have cleared things up - and you respond with your email address which for pity sake we all have. Bottom line is you never had any intention of fixing it , I called your bluff ( see my post about your decoy ).
I dont have to slander you here its plain for all to see - buy a Searcy - its unlikely to work properly and dont count on any back up service.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

Now that is what is called a quality warranty service. tu2

It is interesting that the issue of back up repairs is so important to some makers and not others. Surely getting a rifle out in a condition unlikely to require to be sent back to the maker is what really is the real issue?

Given that a back up service should ONLY be required for a SMALL number of rifles sold.

YUP QUALITY BACK UP SERVICE - NOT !!!
Excuses yes , decoys yes , hollow promises yes .

If Mr Searcy's behaviour is not a resounding warning to potential gun buyers then surely the writing of Mr. Weilands is - Searcy asked for PH's to come back with any bad reviews - well hold on to your socks - most of the PH's I know have said they have endless problems with their guns but aksed me to not go into it as Searcy had given them price breaks and it would not be nice of them to now complain but the time is right to now get permission form these guys to publicise their stories.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch Searcy:
Graeme,
I'm going to make your day. I plan on being in Maun the later part of this year. I will personlly fix your rifle at that time, that is if you would still want it fixed. Johan Calitz office will notify you when I make final plans for my arrival.
My email: searcy@ccis.com

SEARCY READ YOUR OWN EMAILS - YOU SAID YOU WOULD BE IN MAUN - NOT YOUR SHOP FOREMAN - AS THE HUNTING SEASON ENDS TOMORROW - ANY NORMAL PERSON WOULD ASSUME YOU WOULD BE HERE BY TOMORROW HENCE MY MANY POSTS HIGHLIGHTING STILL HAD NOT MADE CONTACT. YOU NEVER INTENDED DOING ANYTHING AND ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD NOT SEE YOUR BS AND MOVING THE GOAL POSTS CONSISTENTLY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by surestrike:

What do you think Freud would have had to say about that? lol

SureStrike ....
Freud would have confirmed only a dishonest man tries to convince you he is an honest man.
Glad you like hunting over hounds by the way

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
PLEASE...moderators, kill this zombie of a thread and put us all our of our collective miseries so everyone can move on with their lives. This is what psychiatrists call the "Crazy Cycle". (I know, I just contributed to the agony of the living, and posting, dead.)

This thread has the highest views - why kill it , over 1/3 of the views for double rifles are on this thread - over 12 000 so far. hopefully that is 12 000 people who are better prepared when purchasing a double - unfortunately of the 12 000 views most of the comments have been from the clown brigade - but I hope that the seriuos shooters see through the BS posted by Searcy's merry men.

As an owner of three double rifles - 1 Searcy .500 NE , 1 Krighoff .500 x .416 and 1 Blaser .500., I can only confirm the Krighoff and the Blaser ( without ejectors ) are work horses with reliabilty , the Searcy is like its back up service - crap. It ( the Searcy ) now stands in a gun safe as it unsafe and with its double accidental discharges , freeze up after firing is just a bad buy. Fortunately most of this was captured on video - one freez up occured after a buffalo charge - Although screened on the Outdoor Channel - the freez up was edited out - but I think its time to convince the producers to make a series on doubles and the problem guns. I sure have enough footage for that series.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Email is notoriously unreliable particularly that coming to me from "unknown" sources - the "System" servers dump them in the trash and there is no "trash" or "spam" bin for me to check. This is not an excuse, simply a reality.

Your posts here suggest you have only tried contacting him here on this website and via email. Why not try calling him on the telephone a couple or three times. I have found it rather amazing how effective a discussion is when emails fail.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
These 12,000 views also let everyone see how much of a Jack Ass you are…..along with Butch telling you to stick that rifle up your Ass! This is doing more damage to your character than that of Butches.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Based on the mindset Of the poster from the Safaris Botswana Bound PH, how many have any desire to book a safari with that safari company?

......AND before the poster mounts his high horse, I don't own a B. Searcy double rifle , and have never owned a B. Searcy double rifle, so you can forget the "Butch's Merry men" dip-shit comment!

....................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Searcy has a double rifle out there that doesn't work. HE SAID THAT HE WOULD FIX IT. He has not and now says he will not. End of story.
It doesn't matter if the customer is a dipstick or not. The f#&%$^up rifle sitting out there says B. Searcy on it. If his shop foreman is truly going to be there, then why not take care of the problem?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc,
I agree w/ Your statement,
I called Butch on the phone to ask questions on the merits of both the 577 and 500 NE calibers, the Man was a joy to speak with, took 20 mins. of his time to talk to a damn greenhorn like me that didnt even own one of his rifles.
That says alot in my book. I made contact in 2 mins. on the phone. thats all it would have took to address the problem in this thread.
Jerry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Book with SBB? Surely you jest...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't read all 7 pages of posts but good lord it seems ridiculous to expect a guy to fix a rifle that the owner can't get to the factory. Is it all that hard to understand? Not to me.

Seems to me that Mr Pollock has probably done more here to hurt his future business that he has to help get his rifle fixed. I wouldn't go with him after reading these posts.

For the record, I don't own a Searcy. Ihave never met Mr Searcy. I have never spoke to mr Searcy. However, I will admit to buying 10 tickets for the raffle .

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommyhawk:
Searcy has a double rifle out there that doesn't work. HE SAID THAT HE WOULD FIX IT. He has not and now says he will not. End of story.
It doesn't matter if the customer is a dipstick or not. The f#&%$^up rifle sitting out there says B. Searcy on it. If his shop foreman is truly going to be there, then why not take care of the problem?

Of course it matters - if you think otherwise, try trash-talking your waitress next time out for dinner. It may not hurt but it certainly won't help.

This is part of the problem today in the world of electronic annonymity. The customer, who was not the original purchaser of the double, could have easily phoned and perhaps resolved the issue. He could still do that, couldn't he. Wouldn't hurt, would it?

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The customer, who was not the original purchaser of the double, could have easily phoned and perhaps resolved the issue. He could still do that, couldn't he. Wouldn't hurt, would it?

And Butch is still under no obligation to fix it, but offered to anyway. Who else does that?

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those that don't know the entire story. The problem was operator error. Graeme used hand loaded ammo that didn't allow the barrels to close completely. And in his first post about the rifle using factory or the ammo that the customer had that comformed to proper specks worked great and Graeme said this on this forum. The problem arose when he used handloads that were improperly made.
Tommyhawk if your not Terry then email me your name so I can make sure that you never get one of my rifles. And as far as I'm concerned you can use the other end of the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
Don't hold back so much brother tell us how you really feel jumping jumping tu2 tu2

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Graeme, he may very well be a great guy and PH.

However, all that aside, he has destroyed his reputation with potential American clients and his trustworthiness.

I don't know that I've ever seen anything handled so poorly. All it would have taken was a little bit of effort on his part to email Butch or contact him somewhere other than this forum. He may have come away with a good experience and come to love that Searcy DR.

Now he has destroyed his good name and potential future business.

This leads me to believe there's more to this than meets the eye; a hidden agenda so to speak. That's all that can explain his strange behavior and his need to live this out on this forum. I think most of us would have contacted Butch personally on the phone, by private email, or by private letter to get things worked out. Just bizarre???-------And why make this such a big deal on a public forum? If he doesn't like Searcy DR's that's fine, say it once and move on. That might of held some weight from a reputatable PH. Now his reputation is greatly tarnished.

Graeme has said, I believe, that he knows of other PH's who think Searcy guns are not reliable. I've yet to see an outcry from the PH ranks, or from the hunter ranks for that matter, as to reliability/safety of Butch's guns. In fact, it has been just the opposite, with overwhelming support and testimonials for these guns.

I don't own a Searcy, but would be proud to add one to my collection.

This is sad for Graeme. Maybe he can survive it.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
So after reading this entire thread I ask myself two questions.

Would I buy a rifle from Butch? Yes.

Would I buy a hunt from Graeme? No.

I don't own any double rifles, and have no plans to own one. I do, however, hunt in Africa, and have plans to hunt there again.

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana Bound:

If Mr Searcy's behaviour is not a resounding warning to potential gun buyers...

Just an observation here, but it is not Butch Searcy's behavior that is trumpeting a resounding warning to potential buyers.

Using bad ammo that ruins a rifle would void just about any manufacturer's warranty on the planet. Yet, there was still an offer to fix it if you contacted him via email.

It seems the October 4th date was somehow unacceptable, since it was after your season.

And I am certain that there would be much whining if the rifle was repaired for some reason or another.

Some people are not happy unless they are wallowing in self inflicted misery.

You took a rifle from a client you knew nothing about. You proceeded to feed it bad ammo and really botch it. Then have the nerve to whine about problems you yourself caused. And then, to top it all off, stomp your feet and hold your breath when the guy who was offering a free fix did not bend over backwards to accommodate your communication preferences or schedule.

In knew someone like that once, and divorced her....

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like this thread. It's a solid primer on how to ruin your safari company with a lot of potential clients.

graemmie whined that the DR was fricking useless and just taking up space in his safe.

Being the nice guy that I am, I offered to buy it from him, and had a deal worked out with a friend in Africa to get it back here.
Butch offered to fix it for me, if I could get it back to the 'states.
graemmie then decided the rifle was worth what Butch charges for a new one here.
Lemme see, pay as much for a broken one as a new one, and add the tremendous hassles of getting it home.
Probably NOT!

At this point graemmie starts the whine again. There is exactly ONE person in the world who can fix it, and the boy-child pisses him off.
This rifle has no warranty, except the goodness of Butch's heart. Graemmie can't figure that out on his own. OKAY.

Graemmie, if you piss Butch off you can run a light cord up one barrel and screw a light bulb into it. Its' value is now as a lampstand.

The nephew passed on a new term that was coined just for you. You blend the words F--king Retard and get F--kTard. That fits pretty well.

regards,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Grahame and he has handled this matter very badly but...

1) No you cannot just 'pick up the phone'. It takes me an average of three days 6-8 hrs a day when i 'have' to phone the bank because they will not take an email or faxed instruction and they cannot get through to me on the phone...trying to phone someone in the USA is often cause for an ulcer.

2) No you cannot just 'send the rifle back'to the factory.

3) Getting a firearms permit in Botswana can take years - replacing a broken gun is a handstand.

4) Butch said he would contact Grahame and give HIM details of when he would be there..not that Grahame needed to contact him.

5) Butches story keeps shifting as well- He implies he is going hunting in Botswana and will be in Maun...but it is after the season ends (ok so he is on a photographic trip..) but then it is the foreman not Butch...doesn't do credit either way

as per ALL trials by internet the S¤¤t splatters and both parties walk away in need of a bath...but it sure is fun to watch Big Grin

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those that don't know the entire story. The problem was operator error. Graeme used hand loaded ammo that didn't allow the barrels to close completely. And in his first post about the rifle using factory or the ammo that the customer had that comformed to proper specks worked great and Graeme said this on this forum. The problem arose when he used handloads that were improperly made.
Tommyhawk if your not Terry then email me your name so I can make sure that you never get one of my rifles. And as far as I'm concerned you can use the other end of the rifle.

Mr. Searcy,
That SBB is not the original purchaser and that he caused the damage by using hand loads should have exonerated you from any warranty. Also, that he can't or won't send the rifle back to you for repairs further distances you from having any obligation in the matter.
But, you said publicly you would go over there and fix it and didn't. That's on you. You own it.

Remember...personal attacks are a sure sign of a weak argument. You didn't answer my question and by insulting me you're trying to divert attention away from it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think he attacked you or insulted you. He just said he didn't want you owning one of his DRs. When you came into the conversation many of us thought you were SBB under another Troll pseudonym. Sad perhaps, but now you will be considered that (troll) by many and your responses will have little or no value to most folks.

SBB just kept assing him up until he got what he wanted. You aren't really naive enough to believe he wants that rifle repaired are you?

good day.

Rich
DRSS by Searcy

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana Bound:

As an owner of three double rifles - 1 Searcy .500 NE , 1 Krighoff .500 x .416 and 1 Blaser .500., I can only confirm the Krighoff and the Blaser ( without ejectors ) are work horses with reliabilty , the Searcy is like its back up service - crap. It ( the Searcy ) now stands in a gun safe as it unsafe and with its double accidental discharges , freeze up after firing is just a bad buy. Fortunately most of this was captured on video - one freez up occured after a buffalo charge - Although screened on the Outdoor Channel - the freez up was edited out - but I think its time to convince the producers to make a series on doubles and the problem guns. I sure have enough footage for that series.

graeme

i will be in lusaka in november, and if we can arrange to meet, i can take a look at the gun for you, to see if i can help with it, it will cost you a beer though if i can fix it.
i have seen a few of butch's guns and like them and i dont anticipate to much of a job.

so if you can get out to me, the check and fix is offered for free.

best regards

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but then it is the foreman not Butch

makes no difference as long as the rifle got fixed. There are such things as extenuating circumstances. But since that wasnt good enough either, it doesnt matter now.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason that my forman is going is due to a back problem I'm experiencing.
And Peter, if you think you can fix it fine but I know exactly what the problem is and it will require welding up the bites on the barrels and refitting. I also have arranged to due this at a welding shop in maun. And with a new gunshop there as well.
My forman is still going to be there to provide maintance on a couple of rifles belonging to PH's there.
I've gone to great expense and effort to take care of Graeme.
I will continue to take care of all my customers and even second hand customers but I will not help anyone with the same charactor as Graeme. And to all you that think I'm wrong on this subject believe me I don't want your business ever.
If Graeme wants his Rifle fixed he had better get on here and kiss up to my satisfaction. And we all know that won't happen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Kaizer on this one. . . .I would certainly buy a rifle from Butch, and I would never consider a safari with SBB.

I understand there may be great difficulties in exporting a rifle from Africa for repairs, and there may be great difficulties in even making a phone call.

But I would think that with an expensive rifle, one would go to the trouble of at least contacting the maker (multiple times if necessary) and trying to resolve the issue. Even if it took a while, and you had to go through some hoops to get him on the phone.

Surprises me how poorly this was handled by SBB.

Bake

Posts: 113 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Peter, if you think you can fix it fine but I know exactly what the problem is and it will require welding up the bites on the barrels and refitting. I also have arranged to due this at a welding shop in maun. And with a new gunshop there as well.

butch

i didnt know what were wrong with the gun, but if it is welding up the bites and refitting and hardning i might be abel to do that as well.

this was just a suggestion to stop what i consider a tread that was doing you both a disservice, are you coming to the shows in January ?

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Idaho Sharpshooter
one of us

Posted 21 September 2010 10:49 Hide Post
"I don't think he attacked you or insulted you. He just said he didn't want you owning one of his DRs. When you came into the conversation many of us thought you were SBB under another Troll pseudonym. Sad perhaps, but now you will be considered that (troll) by many and your responses will have little or no value to most folks.
SBB just kept assing him up until he got what he wanted. You aren't really naive enough to believe he wants that rifle repaired are you?"

I'm curious. What do you think Searcy wants me to do with the other end of the rifle? Seems pretty insulting to me. But, what do I know. I'm only a troll. Does this mean that you also think that Ganyana is also a troll?
I am naive enough to believe that SBB wants his gun fixed. He has handled this situation incredibly bad. It comes across in his posts that he is also VERY frustrated. I am trying to point out that Mr. Searcy has also handled this rather poorly. Do you think that H&H, Purdy's, or Hartmann & Weiss would publicly tell a customer to shove their gun up their ass and that the only way that they would fix their gun is if the customer publicly kisses their ass???
Just a few thoughts from a troll. Have a nice day. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
About 30 years ago & before that, the NZ rugby team & the South African rugby team used to be the biggest rivals. The skull duggary on the field is legendary. No video replays those days. If the ref did not see you, you gouged eyes, bit ears, squeezed nuts, any thing goes....knee on the face was a famous trick for any new front rower not initiated into real hard rugby. Broken jaws & concussions were a regular affair.

Off the field, the Kiwis are known to be quite reserved and do not get into public arguments. The south African psyche is quite different - they enjoy a public spat. See the history of the various sports teams & administrations - they call each other names in the press, make ridiculous accusation etc. Graeme's namesake the legendary cricketer was in a big tiff with his nephew Shaun Pollock after the 2003 world cup. I was amazed that members of the same family had such a public row. The strange thing is the South Africans always seem to kiss and make up. The team gets together & starts to perform again. I find that absolutely amazing. No other sports team manages to get back to performing well after a big public spat like the South Africans do.

The point I am making is....The internet does not differentiate between cultural etiquette, traditions etc. That is the issue here. You cannot behave like you normally do at your own local rugby club. I respect Ganyana's views on most matters but not on this one....

Graeme, my genuine suggestion is to make up with Butch some how and get your rifle fixed....that is ...if it is more important to you than your ego etc.....It looks like Butch has again offered to fix your rifle if you make peace some how.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you think that H&H, Purdy's, or Hartmann & Weiss would publicly tell a customer to shove their gun up their ass

Do you also think that H&H, Purdeys or anyone else would inatally offer to fix a rifle for anyone other than the origional purchaser several years after the sale with a problem that was caused by some ones screw up?
Would they send anyone overseas to fix it?

I don't think so either.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
quote:
Do you think that H&H, Purdy's, or Hartmann & Weiss would publicly tell a customer to shove their gun up their

Do you also think that H&H, Purdeys or anyone else would inatally offer to fix a rifle for anyone other than the origional purchaser several years after the sale with a problem that was caused by some ones screw up?
Would they send anyone overseas to fix it?

I don't think so either.

I'll agree with both of you on that. Perhaps some poor wording in frustration from an otherwise good guy. That's what I'm opperating on.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:

I'll agree with both of you on that. Perhaps some poor wording in frustration from an otherwise good guy. That's what I'm opperating on.

Brett

Even nice guys have their limit! It wouldn't have taken me half that long to tell him to shove it!

Lets look at it this way and see what you think, putting yourself in the maker's shoes!

The guy buys a double rifle from a client hunter, which has worked fine on the safari. Then because he has no ammo left uses what seems is overloaded, and IMO damages the rifle causing an "OFF FACE" condition and does some damage that the rifle starts doubling. NOW, he contacts the maker who offers to fix the rifle, a service he is not required to offer because of owner caused damage plus the owner is not the original owner, if only the guy sends the rifle to the maker. Since it is a pain in the "A" to ship a rifle out of the country from Africa and get it back, the guy has the gall to expect the maker to come to African to fix the used second hand rifle that "HE" damaged.

In the real world folks, the buyer of a second hand double rifle cannot expect the maker of the rifle to fix damage he himself caused. Also when you buy a used double rifle and it breaks you have someone fix it at your own expense, and you certainly do not trash the maker's reputation because he couldn't come to Africa to fix a rifle you damaged for free, and on your schedule!

You name me one maker of double rifles that would fix a rifle known to have been damaged by a second owner, and do it by flying all the way to Africa to do it free of charge! That's right there isn't one that would do anything other than tell the guy to get it to them for the fix and he would be responsible for freight both ways, and the cost of the repairs! Then if he set out in public to defame the maker, how long do you think it would be if this were Purdey or H&H before they filed suit on him for defamation of character?

I say, at this point, if you want the damage you caused fixed have it done on your own, and cease the defamation or suffer the consequences of that action!

.......................................... BOOM....................... diggin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Lets look at it this way and see what you think, putting yourself in the maker's shoes!

The guy buys a double rifle from a client hunter, which has worked fine on the safari. Then because he has no ammo left uses what seems is overloaded, and IMO damages the rifle causing an "OFF FACE" condition and does some damage that the rifle starts doubling. NOW, he contacts the maker who offers to fix the rifle, a service he is not required to offer because of owner caused damage plus the owner is not the original owner, if only the guy sends the rifle to the maker. Since it is a pain in the "A" to ship a rifle out of the country from Africa and get it back, the guy has the gall to expect the maker to come to African to fix the used second hand rifle that "HE" damaged.

In the real world folks, the buyer of a second hand double rifle cannot expect the maker of the rifle to fix damage he himself caused. Also when you buy a used double rifle and it breaks you have someone fix it at your own expense, and you certainly do not trash the maker's reputation because he couldn't come to Africa to fix a rifle you damaged for free, and on your schedule!

You name me one maker of double rifles that would fix a rifle known to have been damaged by a second owner, and do it by flying all the way to Africa to do it free of charge! That's right there isn't one that would do anything other than tell the guy to get it to them for the fix and he would be responsible for freight both ways, and the cost of the repairs! Then if he set out in public to defame the maker, how long do you think it would be if this were Purdey or H&H before they filed suit on him for defamation of character?

I say, at this point, if you want the damage you caused fixed have it done on your own, and cease the defamation or suffer the consequences of that action!

Mac,

I agree, but as a business owner I don't think it's ever a good idea to publicly tell someone to kiss your butt. Just not good business or profesional even if deserved.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That's very true Brett. However there IS a time to "draw the line in the sand" also. Mr Searcy found his limit and I feel it was correct in this case.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know Grahame and he has handled this matter very badly but...

1) No you cannot just 'pick up the phone'. It takes me an average of three days 6-8 hrs a day when i 'have' to phone the bank because they will not take an email or faxed instruction and they cannot get through to me on the phone...trying to phone someone in the USA is often cause for an ulcer.

How could this be Mr. Searcy's issue

2) No you cannot just 'send the rifle back'to the factory.

Mr. Searcy has always been in the U.S.A., the laws of Botswana should not be his concern.

3) Getting a firearms permit in Botswana can take years - replacing a broken gun is a handstand.

Again, this is a Botswana issue, not a Searcy issue

4) Butch said he would contact Grahame and give HIM details of when he would be there..not that Grahame needed to contact him.

5) Butches story keeps shifting as well- He implies he is going hunting in Botswana and will be in Maun...but it is after the season ends (ok so he is on a photographic trip..) but then it is the foreman not Butch...doesn't do credit either way

If graeme gets anything att all out of this it is more than he deserves. Anything provided to him would be a gift. I would give the Blowhard nothing at all.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Let me see if I can fix your post, Mac ...

quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
The guy buys a double rifle device from a client hunter, which has worked fine on the safari. Then because he has no ammo left uses what seems is overloaded, and IMO damages the devicethe rifle causing an "OFF FACE" condition and does some damage that the rifle starts doubling. NOW, he contacts the maker who offers to fix the device rifle, a service he is not required to offer because of owner caused damage plus the owner is not the original owner, if only the guy sends the device rifle to the maker. Since it is a pain in the "A" to ship a rifle out of the country from Africa and get it back, the guy has the gall to expect the maker to come to African to fix the used second hand devicerifle that "HE" damaged.

.......................................... BOOM....................... diggin

Well, I got tired of striking out the word "rifle" but you get the idea. I agree with Mac 100% and frankly you can forget that this has anything to do with rifles because it really does not. ENTITLEMENT in any form is ugly and rarely results in any party's satisfaction - this is an excellent example of such.

Finally, in this day and age of satellite phones - really no legitimate excuse for not making a call. Even if it means borrowing another PH's and paying the dollars it costs since we are talking about a device worth 10,000 USD.