Notify
Tools

Searcy responds to Wieland
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana Bound:
This must realy get your goat that a reknown writer backs up what I posted many years ago - and heaven forbid Afrique recognises some of the characters that respond for what they are.
Credibility check - I had a hunter hunt with a Searcy and one of my PH's - at the end of the hunt - I watched on video of the hunt - in horror that the PH ejected the rounds - the hunter go's do that again - he bought the firearm and was never even shown that the double had ejectors - he was under the impression they came with extractors . Mr Manion you remain the first class sphinster I thought you were when I read your first posts as you attacked me for airing a complaint . Wanker.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Credibility check on Aisle 4 for Safaris Botswana Bound:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=260104625#260104625

jumping

From the sounds of that post, I'd say my goat ain't the one that that got got.

I guess being called a world class sphinster by a world class sphincter should be viewed as a compliment.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This must realy get your goat that a reknown writer backs up what I posted many years ago - and heaven forbid Afrique recognises some of the characters that respond for what they are.
Credibility check - I had a hunter hunt with a Searcy and one of my PH's - at the end of the hunt - I watched on video of the hunt - in horror that the PH ejected the rounds - the hunter go's do that again - he bought the firearm and was never even shown that the double had ejectors - he was under the impression they came with extractors . Mr Manion you remain the first class sphinster I thought you were when I read your first posts as you attacked me for airing a complaint . Wanker.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Credibility check on Aisle 4 for Safaris Botswana Bound:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=260104625#260104625

Sooo.... a guy takes a rifle to Africa and hasn't shot it enough to know that it has ejectors? Is that what you mean?

And who is the dumbass here?

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OKAY, $650 CASH MONEY! Where are you Graeme?

I AM OFFERING $650 CASH MONEY AND ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS GET IT TO RSA IN APRIL...

If you don't plan to hold on to it for "baby girl bitch value", at least make me a counter offer...

Rich

Help me out guys, I am trying to be of assistance to Graeme. The economy is down, bookings are down, and this DR is just taking up space in his massive gun vault. If everybody here sends me just two dollars I can bump this to $700 by March 1st.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
OKAY, $650 CASH MONEY!

Too rich for me, I'm out. Mad

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For the last few days I've been sitting back and reading the posts on this thread, since I made my ill-fated entry that caused so much ruckus. I'm sure there are people who suspect I am in league with Terry Weiland (or may even still think I am him), although that's not the case.

On reflection I would probably have caused less hoo-hah if I hadn't used the word 'cheap' which has a different connotation in US English than it does in British English. It seems that 'inexpensive' would have been a better choice.

What's done is done. I think some of my underlying points had merit although these were lost in the rush to bash me over the head and there is no point in resurrecting them again. My intent was always to re-enforce the other point of view, not to stir the pot for my own amusement.

Anyway, look how this has turned out. The thread was becoming tepid before the eruption but now there's been nearly 5,000 views and 125 posts with enough material to make a decent movie: a good guy; a bad guy; money; rage; rivalry; loyalty; dispute; envy; intrigue; insults; eloquence; accusations and counter-accusations. Anthything but dull - What more could anyone ask for.

Posts: 8 | Location: England | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think one problem remains. $15,000 not only ain't "cheap"; it also ain't "inexpensive".

Anyway, the playing field's now being leveled. Have you seen the pics of Searcy's new piece that will start at $65,000?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Afrique:
And Butch Searcy rifles are cheap, no doubt about it. I don't think they are good as Merkel, and probably not as good as Krieghoff.

Am curious as to how many Searcys, Merkels, and Krieghoffs you have fired to form this opinion.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

On reflection I would probably have caused less hoo-hah if I hadn't used the word 'cheap' which has a different connotation in US English than it does in British English.

I think that from the beginning You bet to "the wrong dog" in this fight eh,eh,. Guille

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am more in for the "english" type doublerifles really..but I can only have respect for someone like Butch. His hands are atleast soiled with honest work, and he takes pride in it too.
If I should choose between a new book from Wieland or a new double from Butch..It wouldn`t be too difficult for me to choose patriot.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gotta love the internet. Ten guys that own something say they are very satisfied with it and fifty guys who have never seen one jump in and tell you what a load of crap it is.????

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Afrique

I don't own any double rifles, so I am not biased either way. But as to your post:

1. What is "expensive"? What is "cheap"? How do those two words equate with "quality"? What is "quality" in a double rifle.

2. What exactly makes a Merkel or a Kriefhoff "better" than a Searcy? Is it the type of steel, the way the parts are machined, the polishing, the fitting? What does an English double have that a Searcy Rifle does not have that makes it "better"? Again, not subjective, but objective measurements that everyone can understand.

3. How does winning the lottery and choosing to buy a Holland or a Purdey make them a better rifle than a Searcy? Is that not a subjective decision?

4. What specifically makes a gun better if it is made by a company that has been in business longer than another company?

5. What specifically is the "Pinnacle of technical excellence"? How is it measured?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
22WRF, are you ever on the wrong forum!

sofa

The implication of your questions maybe the other side of the
same coin where: Pedersoli chooses too market their (former) $1000
double at 4,000 for exact same gun. And I suspect Sabetti soon to
follow. Assuming sucessful business men are making good decision to
maximize profit - And:

Searcy, is NO LONGER building field grade guns. Big surprise!

They must have discovered the answer to your questions 1-5.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fourbore

Well, I might be on the "wrong" forum, but I think my questions are valid.

If you pay $50,000 for a new Mercedez and you also buy a new Ford Focus for $15,000 and the Mercedez breaks down all of the time and the Ford doesn't, is the Ford a better car than the Mercedez or is it the other way around?

My "implication" was (is) that Afrique's arguments were quite subjective. Just trying to learn someting in case I ever want to purchase a double rifle. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A better analogy might be asking if tail fins gave the 59 cadillac higher quality or better performance? Thats what I see: "Tail fins" - Big British tail fins or fine German tail fins. And now the American builder has decided to add tail fins. The Italians are tooling up for the tail fins, but they have not put them on all the models yet.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 22WRF's logic. I agree. What makes a Rolex better than a Seiko? I prefer the Seiko due to cost as they both keep time.

On rifles, I have never understood the constant bartering, bad mouthing, and debate on Remington vs. Winchester, etc. All of them are "good" in that they go "bang" when you pull the trigger. They all eject shells and they all will kill. So, it boils down to what you "like" vs. what is best.

What is "best" for me is what I like. I drive a Chevy Suburban - runs great, would not trade it for a Porsche or Volvo SUV. Is it the "best"? I doubt it but it runs and does not break down and I can afford it.

I handled a $55,000 Rigby and a $12,000 Chapuis at Champlin's table a gun show. I could not tell the difference in fit, feel or weight. I am not an expert, but I would be hesitant to take anything worth $55,000 to Africa let alone hunt with it.

Anyway, if I were to get a double, I would buy a Searcy or a Heym as they are sold by nice guys and seem to be the "best".

Posts: 10263 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's getting where it's harder and harder to tell the difference in looks between the $50K and $15K cars. So I think I'll keep my '87 Mercedes and skip the new ones.

On the watches, my '70s Seiko diver's watch still works great. But, let's face it. 007 wore a Rolex Submariner.

I wonder which DB he would have chosen. One of the builders probably could have made some serious coins by getting theirs featured in his movies.

posted Hide Post
To compare my Searcy to a Seiko in any analogy is going one step to far!!! Maybe an Omega, but a Seiko!

I love my Searcy, but I'd love it just as much if it were an English Best gun. My kid would love it more if it was English, because I'm sure it would be sold soon after I turn cold.

Posts: 4 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 15 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Boy I'm the one on the wrong forum. I hunt (even pigs) with my old, very plain, 470 NE K gun, and Mickey on my wrist reminds me when it's time to head back for dinner. Big Grin

Gophish, I understand exactly. tu2

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Along that line: I had Mamma's Jag convertible in for the 90,000 mile service and the guy asked me when I was going to get a new one.
Sooo, I asked him what the new one had that I didn't. The Supercharged engine is 5 litres now and 510 horsepower. I asked, did they raise the electronic speed limiter any? Nope! Then why do I need the new 2010? To stimulate their economy!

maybe after two or three more Safaris...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just don't understand the allure of the old (and I mean OLD!) English doubles. Modern steels and manufacturing methods are so much better than 100 years ago. For the price of an old clunker of an English double one can buy a new Searcy, Heym, Verney Carron, etc and have a brand new gun that truth be told is probably better and more durable than anything that was made 75- 100 years ago.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chobe Bushbuck:
I just don't understand the allure of the old (and I mean OLD!) English doubles. Modern steels and manufacturing methods are so much better than 100 years ago. For the price of an old clunker of an English double one can buy a new Searcy, Heym, Verney Carron, etc and have a brand new gun that truth be told is probably better and more durable than anything that was made 75- 100 years ago.

Put this in a different context.. Cars! What's the allure of a 57 BelAir VS a new Cobalt or even a Model T VS a new Mustang.. Some appreciate the craftmanship of years gone by especially if they still work great!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike is 100% spot on.

I'll add another - their is nothing like hunting with an old gun, using it for what it was
originally made for, caring for it and keeping it in good nick and then being able to pass it
on to others in the future.

We are only caretakers of the items for a short period in the lives of them.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:

Mike is 100% spot on.

I'll add another - their is nothing like hunting with an old gun, using it for what it was
originally made for, caring for it and keeping it in good nick and then being able to pass it
on to others in the future.

We are only caretakers of the items for a short period in the lives of them.

500 you are spot on. Its not only the different sublties in fit and finish captured in the wood and metal of the older guns but to be bound to older generations of hunters and of different cultures who have used them and to a future generation. It is something very special.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you have hunted with both (in my case new Merkels and a lot of old doubles), then it is very hard to compare.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chobe,

there is no such thing, in today's economy, as "an old clunker of a British Double Rifle...". They are either: original in good shape, or restored as one in poor condition comes on the market and is refurbished. Your comparison would be like saying "an old clunker of a pre-WWI or II Rolls Royce compared to a new one...". They were traditionally chambered in low-pressure rounds, due to the DR break-open design, and the tropic heat they were used in. To preserve them, five and ten round tin cans, like Sardine Cans of today and sealed, were what ammunition was shipped in.

Your ignorance, and I say that not out of malice or sarcasm, but in the true meaning, not previously exposed to or unfamiliar with; with regard to handling some quality old doubles shows. Handling a few is the best way for you to learn the culture and allure of Big Doubles.
You just require some education about them.

Rich

I'm ignorant of lots of things. Like how the Kenyadent got elected, how atom bombs work, and especially how women think.
And, I been working on the latter for more than forty-five years now; pretty much full time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the last few days I've been sitting back and reading the posts on this thread, since I made my ill-fated entry that caused so much ruckus. I'm sure there are people who suspect I am in league with Terry Weiland (or may even still think I am him), although that's not the case.

On reflection I would probably have caused less hoo-hah if I hadn't used the word 'cheap' which has a different connotation in US English than it does in British English. It seems that 'inexpensive' would have been a better choice.

What's done is done. I think some of my underlying points had merit although these were lost in the rush to bash me over the head and there is no point in resurrecting them again. My intent was always to re-enforce the other point of view, not to stir the pot for my own amusement.

Anyway, look how this has turned out. The thread was becoming tepid before the eruption but now there's been nearly 5,000 views and 125 posts with enough material to make a decent movie: a good guy; a bad guy; money; rage; rivalry; loyalty; dispute; envy; intrigue; insults; eloquence; accusations and counter-accusations. Anthything but dull - What more could anyone ask for.

Afrique, glad to see you've decided to remain among us, even if just for now. Agree with many of the posts regarding the style of your entrant post but valued the reasoned debate on your part in support of your opinion. I'm not an expert but have been to Africa a couple of times and do own a DR, albeit only a Continental not an English 'best', it's merely a Krieghoff 500. I episodically visit this forum for the usually informed opinions, especially about DRs. So hope you'll sift through some of the heated rhetoric and find the valuable information that usually carries the day. Cheers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well this was an interesting read. If I have nothing to say I don't say it. I don't know Butch Searcy and I don't know who Afrique is. What I know of Butch is that he builds a good rifle that you can go out and shoot at an affordable price, that you can with some planing can go and buy. Its an American thing, See a need and then go fill the need. Its what we do, you see we are Americans not Europeans not Displaced Englishmen, Americans. We like our guns, our makers can turn out stuff that you can shoot and hunt with, and the only limits are our checkbooks. You want a couple of hundred rifles in your rack, no problem, you what a 50 Barrett no problem unless you live in California. And it just not extends to Guns but flying and a host of other things as well. I will not shut up, I have typed enough for the time being, and its my real name too. I don't hide. Another American thing I guess.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Chobe,

there is no such thing, in today's economy, as "an old clunker of a British Double Rifle...". They are either: original in good shape, or restored as one in poor condition comes on the market and is refurbished. Your comparison would be like saying "an old clunker of a pre-WWI or II Rolls Royce compared to a new one...". They were traditionally chambered in low-pressure rounds, due to the DR break-open design, and the tropic heat they were used in. To preserve them, five and ten round tin cans, like Sardine Cans of today and sealed, were what ammunition was shipped in.

Your ignorance, and I say that not out of malice or sarcasm, but in the true meaning, not previously exposed to or unfamiliar with; with regard to handling some quality old doubles shows. Handling a few is the best way for you to learn the culture and allure of Big Doubles.
You just require some education about them.

Rich

I'm ignorant of lots of things. Like how the Kenyadent got elected, how atom bombs work, and especially how women think.
And, I been working on the latter for more than forty-five years now; pretty much full time.

Rich,

No, I'm talking clunkers.

An example, someone posted on here a while back, I think it was Brett Barringer, about a double at Champlins and when he inquired about it George told him it may not be the best choice for someone who would use it much because the barrels only each had a few hundred rounds left before they would need to be replaced, a very expensive proposition on a vintage double. The gun was priced, IIRC, comparably to a new American or Continental double. By my definition that is a clunker and that rifle is not an anomaly, most of the English guns are getting pretty long in the tooth. I have handled and shot plenty of them and when the time came to buy my own double I chose a new Demas in .470 NE. To each his own though, I've never understood the fascination with pre-64 M70s either, I'd rather have the newer Classic-actioned rifle all day long. If we all agreed on everything the world would be a boring place.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, please Stop! You might suffer a shoulder strain patting yourself on the back!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

heck, that much self-awarded back patting could lead to rotator cuff surgery...

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Afrique

I don't own any double rifles, so I am not biased either way. But as to your post:

1. What is "expensive"? What is "cheap"? How do those two words equate with "quality"? What is "quality" in a double rifle.

2. What exactly makes a Merkel or a Kriefhoff "better" than a Searcy? Is it the type of steel, the way the parts are machined, the polishing, the fitting? What does an English double have that a Searcy Rifle does not have that makes it "better"? Again, not subjective, but objective measurements that everyone can understand.

3. How does winning the lottery and choosing to buy a Holland or a Purdey make them a better rifle than a Searcy? Is that not a subjective decision?

4. What specifically makes a gun better if it is made by a company that has been in business longer than another company?

5. What specifically is the "Pinnacle of technical excellence"? How is it measured?

Double rifles are at the top of the food chain in the world of firearms. SxS's are more desirable than O/U's. Side-locks are more desirable than box-locks. People have been arguing the merits of each of these different types of firearms for at least a century. That's just the way it is.
Now to opinion. Shotguns converted to rifles are entry level. Next are Merkel, Krieghoff, Searcy, and a whole host of European makers. Then, there is the top makers.
You can shoot a pig or an elephant at 30 yds. with any of the above. They will work. The difference IS quality. The fit and interaction of the metal parts with each other, design, the fit of the wood to the metal, heat treatment of the parts that need it, the polish and finish of all the parts. Internal and exterior. Let's not forget style. Here's a couple of specifics. Searcy's new rising-bite action is missing much of the curves and style of the original actions. Compare a Searcy stock to a H&H. The Searcy looks more like a club but,it works. Krieghoff designed their action tangs too high. It placed the top of the grip and the comb of the stock so high that many shooters couldn't get their eyes down low enough to see the iron sights. To fix it they dipped the top of the grip down at the end of the upper tang. It works but, it looks like *^#@!! These lower-end makers simply cannot spend the time to build an upper end rifle for what they are charging.
On the customer side of things, if I couldn't tell the difference between a Timex and a Rolex, then I surely wouldn't be buying a Rolex.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
if I couldn't tell the difference between a Timex and a Rolex, then I surely wouldn't be buying a Rolex.

One could also say. That knowing EXACTLY the difference between Rolex and a Timex, a very smart person might buy still a Timex.

And, just as true, I suspect with some double rifles owners: One who does not know the REAL difference between a Timex and Rolex will buy the Rolex. Marketing 101.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's getting where it's harder and harder to tell the difference in looks between the $50K and $15K cars. So I think I'll keep my '87 Mercedes and skip the new ones.

On the watches, my '70s Seiko diver's watch still works great. But, let's face it. 007 wore a Rolex Submariner.

Pride in ownership comes into play somewhere in this equation...

...Functionally Butch's rifles are where they need to be....Accurate, dependable and very attrictive given their pricepoint (PH & Classic models).

An H&H / Purdey / Classic pre-war Rigby, WR and the rest of the over 50K rifles are just plain SEXY!

I own rifles from all price points. From a performance standpoint my Chapuis is every bit as good as my English, Belgian high-dollar offerings.

So, I reckon it's up to the individual and their particular tastes....And financial capabilities.

Shoot what works for you whatever the price!

PS - Those Seiko 70's era watches (the model D-45 If I recall correctly) have become quite cllectable.

posted Hide Post
quote:
PS - Those Seiko 70's era watches (the model D-45 If I recall correctly) have become quite cllectable.

So are Ford Pintos! Cool

Posts: 4 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 15 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having grown up with the use of a Woodward 450/400, had the use of issue Army and Navey .500's and now having my own Krieghoff I will say this...

There is a real difference between a top quality British double and any European double I have tried. The differences are small- and it is all to do with 'feel'- how lively the rifle feels in your hands, how quickly you can snap shoot with it etc.

If I could afford to buy a new H&H or a good Woodward would I do so? Hell yes. I earn a living hunting dangerous game. The little advantages may be what makes the diffference in an emergency.

However, both those options are just a dream so we come down to what I can affrord. being Scots I want extreme durability, good fit and feel and a $1500 price tag... Wink

I have been to several of the European, and a couple of Brittish makers factories. The modern guns are extremely durable...technically I think the Blaser S2 is the 'strongest' of the lott, but it is so really not my taste and has all the balance and feel of a mopane log. Second comes the Krieghoff. Unfortunately it's very strength means that they have been able to build it on too compact an action. This makes regulating easy as the barrels are so close together- makes the rifles far easier to reload for than any British double with their much bigger actions...but it takes weight away from where it is needed.

Balance can be achieved by adding weight to the butt (mercury recoil reducers in Krieghoffs case) or fore end...but the lively feel comes from having 2/3 of the weight between your hands..so you need barrels that taper rapidly, a light stock and a big action with heavy chamber areas on the barrels. The wider the action and the greater the angle that the barrels tapet towards each other , the bigger bitch it is to regulate- but the better the 'feel'.

It is precisley this reason that many Heym doubles ahve a better 'feel' than similar chambered Krieghoffs - the Heym is built on a more bulky action.

At the end of the day though, the .375FL Krieghoff is as near to perfect 'feel' as I have found in a European double which is why I traded my 500/416 barrels for the .375 set. I really, really like the 500/416 as a round...but prefer arifle that feels right to one that hits harder. Also I have been fortunate that my dad has alot of experience at stock making...and he was able to make the Krieghoff stock fit me- as it came from PWN375, it sure as hell didn't fit...

>It is the curse of a lack of money...If I could afford a rolex, I would buy one...but having broken a Citizen, Seiko and Avia watches with my trail bike habit I now wear the Timex Expedition that Will gave me- More functional than my Swarovski (which is the only other watch I have owned that has been able to survive), but it sure ain't a rolex...If you cannot afford the very best, you have to find the 'second best' that works for you. The real trick isn't being able to tell top quality from a good second, but seperating a good working 'second' gun from all the thirs class rubish that may folk would like to sell you as a first class gun!

NB- I have tried a few Heyms- I like them- generally they have very good feel for European rifles.
I have tried the New Zoli O/U..great piece of kit- handles just like my competition citori..If I hadn't already gone to a Krieghoff I would seriously consider one.
I have tried some 1990 vintage Rigby's...If they were $500 they would be over priced.
I have the use of an older Zoli...I wouldn't rush out and buy one.
I have tried several Chapuis...Some have been good and a couple decidedly otherwise...try before you buy- a good one is a great gun, a bad one...I almost prefer a remmington
Blaser? Just not my style and taste- Too slow to reload for a working PH but fine for a client if that is what you like.
Have just laid my hands on a Merkel..will let you know...
Krieghoff- I own one, I bought it off a forum member, and am unlikely to trade it unless I can get that 450/400 that Messers H&H let me try (and I cum in my pants again just thinking about it!!!!)

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
sorry - as I said in the begining - not going to be drawn into this again - but to clarify - selling a gun to someone and then not explaining that the gun has ejectors is akin to selling a parachute without showing the purchaser where the pull handel is.
but i will stick to purchasing guns where the maker has no record - bad or good on after sales service - because the guns dont need repairs. Experience makes you a wiser person.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
sorry - as I said in the begining - not going to be drawn into this again - but to clarify - selling a gun to someone and then not explaining that the gun has ejectors is akin to selling a parachute without showing the purchaser where the pull handel is.
but i will stick to purchasing guns where the maker has no record - bad or good on after sales service - because the guns dont need repairs. Experience makes you a wiser person.

I didn't know secret ejectors were a problem.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think it is more akin to having an auto opening chute as opposed to a manual pull yourself chute! I'd love to find out that a rifle I just bought that I thought was an extractor rifle was and ejector rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:

I think it is more akin to having an auto opening chute as opposed to a manual pull yourself chute! I'd love to find out that a rifle I just bought that I thought was an extractor rifle was and ejector rifle!

I would have thought Safaris Botswana Bound would have certainly been more insensed that the client had come to Africa with a rifle intended for dangerous game that he had never even fired,and spent thousands on a rifle without even reading the specs for the rifle, than the maker not reading the order form to his customer.

One would assume that when buying a double rifle made to order, he would at least read the features on the order form to see what he was about to buy. Still with a client that comes to Africa to hunt dangerous game with a double rifle he hasn't even fired before coming, it isn't a far stretch that he bought a rifle he didn't understand! The fact is if this client had ever fired the rifle he would know it had ejectors.

After looking at this from all angles I simply believe this whole thing was made up just to have something to bitch about. A PH would have to be pretty dumb to blame the maker of a rifle because the owner did not think it important enough to even fire the rifle before coming to a Safari for dangerous game. Sounds like the client, and the PH went to the same school, and blamed the teacher because they didn't do thier home work!

..................... homer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
quote:
if I couldn't tell the difference between a Timex and a Rolex, then I surely wouldn't be buying a Rolex.

One could also say. That knowing EXACTLY the difference between Rolex and a Timex, a very smart person might buy still a Timex.

The point is, It told the same time as the Rolex, just as Mr. Searcy's rifles are more than likely going to kill just as well as the Hollands and the Purdey's.

And, just as true, I suspect with some double rifles owners: One who does not know the REAL difference between a Timex and Rolex will buy the Rolex. Marketing 101.

When I was in the Navy way back in the early 70s I purchaed a new Rolex Submariner for $700 when I was over in the Mediteranean on a 6 month cruise. I wore it for three years and then got out of the navy. I was broke so I sold it for $500 or so. Now I see that the same watch is about $4500. Wow. Anyway, since then I have worn a Timex. Told the same time as the Rolex, and had a light in it for after dark as well! But I still wish I would have held onto the Rolex.