New
Find
Notify
Tools

HEIN CONTACT?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
He claims to still be in production. I have no idea what he is doing.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder just how you think Jorge and I should modify our behavior?

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:

Do not pay in full, in advance?

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
paying in advance is a business practice not a behavior trait and anyway I only paid 50% up front.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:

I wasn't trying to say you should do anything. And in no way was this to be construed as criticism or a suggestion that you did anything wrong. But I would be surprised if you aren't less trusting and more careful in the future. It's a shame that a simple handshake and someone's word aren't good enough to be relied upon.

And how this experience may have modified Hein's behavior; I leave that up to others to ponder.
~

No worries........to me its more then a handshake as he met me face to face and lied repeatedly to me.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:
paying in advance is a business practice not a behavior trait and anyway I only paid 50% up front.

For what it's worth, Howard, I probably would have gone about things the same way you did. I am fortunate to have learned something from your experience with Hein. But I am truly sorry that you and others have had to go through this first hand.

~

The end result is it will be harder for others to get started. Our experience here is a big reason established reputable people can get more money, they have the track record to prove they will deliver.

It is a catch 20 in many ways. The vendor is entitled to an upfront deposit for a "special order" in my opinion yet the customer is open to getting burned.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard

Is he (Hein) still in business?

He still has a web site.

http://www.rifleactions.com/

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Yes he is still in business and once we sign the final agreement either Howard or myself will post, then for those interested, I'll post my thoughts and lessons learned, but here's just one lesson:
I WILL NEVER, EVER, BUY A RIFLE FROM A CUSTOM GUNMAKER AGAIN, unless of course the rifle's already finished and I can walk away with it. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From Hein's website:

.....At Waffenfabrik Hein, no shortcuts are taken, and superior quality and customer satisfaction are the values that drive our organization.

jumping

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
I WILL NEVER, EVER, BUY A RIFLE FROM A CUSTOM GUNMAKER AGAIN

It's not fair to disparage all gunsmiths just because 99% of them are scoundrels. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
I WILL NEVER, EVER, BUY A RIFLE FROM A CUSTOM GUNMAKER AGAIN

It's not fair to disparage all gunsmiths just because 99% of them are scoundrels. Smiler

What, they all went to law school? beer

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
forrest, That coon track is just hilarious.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
From Hein's website:

.....At Waffenfabrik Hein, no shortcuts are taken, and superior quality and customer satisfaction are the values that drive our organization.

jumping

Yes, but what they don't say is just where they're driving it.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Date of first posting on this matter was shown to be 2/18/08 and today is 7/19/08 or some 5 months has passed and no resolution yet it would appear. Not sure just how many complaintants involved nor the juridiction the court action is to take place, but in my area it would not be uncommon for such action to involve as much as a couple years. Know that is not good news and hopefully would be quicker in your area.
However, even if judgement is ordered against the supposed offender, usually a deal will be struck with the court and lawyers to reach a settlement. (Add more time and attorney fees.) The 'smith involved may well counter with a time certain to deliver the goods and court will most likely "buy off" on that arrangement and then if the time certain is not met, harsher action could be taken and at a much speedier time frame. A lot depends on the load the courts are operating under and yes, unfortunately, the judge presiding over the case and his concept of time.
Conclusion to refuse to do business with a "custom 'smith" is probably a good one to follow unless the deal can be struck that the cards are stacked much in your favor in the event a similar situation arises. We have a "gunsmith" in our area that repeatedly has kept a simple blue job, scope/mount drill and tap job, etc. for two or more years or more and eventually the firearm owner will become irate and go after the guy and sure enough, few weeks the job is done and back to ground zero. Yes, people in the area still take work to him on a regular basis. Go figure!!

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, but the smiths that I have dealt with on this forum have preformed as promised. In the last 4 years, David Christman has done 2 complete custom rifles and 1 redo of a 60's custom. Jim Kobe has done at least 4 small jobs for me in no more than 2 weeks. James Anderson has made a custom bottom metal and a half octagon barrel for me in probably no more than 3 months. I will be shipping a barreled action to him Monday for the full octagon treatment and a stock job. The work from all of these guys has been superb. I have a shotgun in the hands of Reto Buehler in Oregon at present. Duane Weibe has been very forth right with a lot of good advice on the rifle that I am attempting at present.Needless to say, I am a happy man.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Jorge, FWIW I'm a retired USAF Officer and my word is good; it's my work that isn't as good as I'd like it to be. Big Grin But I do manage to sell and build a few custom rifles a year.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, please don't misunderstand. My new aversion to custom rifles is mostly due to the time factor (or lack thereof). What I've heard here for the most part is gunsmiths have NO CONCEPT OF TIME. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope you get satisfaction, Jorge and Howard.
I learned that some "action makers" string their customers along for over 5 years without delivering anything despite 5-figure deposits.
These clowns are having a chilling effect and should be horse whipped. horse

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I'm sorry, but the smiths that I have dealt with on this forum have preformed as promised. In the last 4 years, David Christman has done 2 complete custom rifles and 1 redo of a 60's custom. Jim Kobe has done at least 4 small jobs for me in no more than 2 weeks. James Anderson has made a custom bottom metal and a half octagon barrel for me in probably no more than 3 months. I will be shipping a barreled action to him Monday for the full octagon treatment and a stock job. The work from all of these guys has been superb. I have a shotgun in the hands of Reto Buehler in Oregon at present. Duane Weibe has been very forth right with a lot of good advice on the rifle that I am attempting at present.Needless to say, I am a happy man.
Butch

Ditto for Mark Penrod, a super nice nice guy and a man of his word. He's getting another of my rifles next week for a tune-up, check-in before my trip to Zambia in September.

I couldn't recommend Mark more highly.

Cheers,
Andy

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I have nothing but praise for Mark Penrod and his work. He's done great work for me in the past and I would do so again. I just don't have the patience! Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gentlemen, please don't misunderstand. My new aversion to custom rifles is mostly due to the time factor (or lack thereof). What I've heard here for the most part is gunsmiths have NO CONCEPT OF TIME. jorge

That may very well be true in some cases, but I have also heard a few Custom Riflesmiths tell me that many of their customers have no concept of the amount of time it takes to do good work, get parts, etc.

Which goes squarely to Howard's point, which is that folks have to have very good communication when they enter into a deal for a custom gun.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:

That may very well be true in some cases, but I have also heard a few Custom Riflesmiths tell me that many of their customers have no concept of the amount of time it takes to do good work, get parts, etc.

Which goes squarely to Howard's point, which is that folks have to have very good communication when they enter into a deal for a custom gun.

When a man says "12 months to do the job" the CUSTOMER doesn't NEED to know all that.. the EXPERT should take that into consideration and give good estimates.

In other words, all the "no concept" stuff isnt' the customer's issue, its the GUNSMITH's to know and to quote time. And if he makes a mistake in that quote, he needs to own it, communicate it, and revise his business model.

j

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39685 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
quote:

bsflag horse

When a man says "12 months to do the job" the CUSTOMER doesn't NEED to know all that.. the EXPERT should take that into consideration and give good estimates.

In other words, all the "no concept" stuff isnt' the customer's issue, its the GUNSMITH's to know and to quote time. And if he makes a mistake in that quote, he needs to own it, communicate it, and revise his business model.

j

+1,000

For simple things like installing a new barrel or re-cutting a crown I've been told anywhere from 2 weeks to a month and have never gotten anything in less that 4 months.

For a complete blueprint and barrel install, etc. I always get told 2 months and never see them for 6 months.

I realize that things come up and work times vary, just let me know when it changes.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12704 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not built a custom rifle. However, my one experience with a "not local" gunsmith/expert was with Hill Country Rifles on an accurizing job. They said 12 weeks and I had the gun in 12 weeks.

I am not in the service business, but use service companies all the time. I expect things to built or delivered on schedule and perfect as per the pre-construction agreement and contract. I would think custom gun building should be the same way.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And if he makes a mistake in that quote, he needs to own it, communicate it, and revise his business model.

I would agree 100%. But I also think there needs to be leeway on the customer side of things as well. Not leeway such as Howard and Jorge have had to go through, not even close, but things do happen beyond the Smith's control, and as long as that is communicated in a fairly prompt fashion it should be respected.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post

"That's all fine Natasha but what does any of this have to do with moose and squirrel?"

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry

Perhaps that you can't shoot a moose or a squirrel unless you own a custom gun. And you can't get a custom gun unless you communicate with a custom gun builder. Big Grin

By the way, any updated photos on the Custom Mexican Small ring progress?

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
No, David said he wouldn't be able to start until late Fall when I sent it to him. He called the other day and said things were going ahead of schedule (imagine that!) He already had the barrel re-bored and was getting ready to start on the bridges. We had a long powow and changed a few things on the work order and he said things would start very soon.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
22WRF,
David Christman shipped my Mexican double square bridge today. Now as to time. He thought that he could do it in a year and a half. It took 2 years. His wife was gravely ill for a few months, we had to wait on wood from overseas that I provided and we had to send out the barrel for half octagon. James Anderson got the barrel back promptly. We also had to fight a lost receiver at the heat treat facility. David kept me up to date in all areas.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Totally friggin' irrelevant. If a customer has no clue, it is the job of the gunsmith to explain that making guns take time and delays are commonplace. Then the customer makes the decision as to whether he can live with the timeline (or lack thereof). What the gunsmith cannot do, is lie, obfuscate.jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Geez, every one knows, "It is always Moose and Squirrel."

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
22WRF,
David Christman shipped my Mexican double square bridge today. Now as to time. He thought that he could do it in a year and a half. It took 2 years. His wife was gravely ill for a few months, we had to wait on wood from overseas that I provided and we had to send out the barrel for half octagon. James Anderson got the barrel back promptly. We also had to fight a lost receiver at the heat treat facility. David kept me up to date in all areas.
Butch

A perfect example of what I was talking about.
Things happened, and the guy was honest enough to keep you informed so you stayed in the game and got what you wanted, albeit a bit late.

Start a new thread and show us some photos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of what is posted on page 12 has anything to do with the original thread.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge and I have a signed agreement in place whereby Hein agrees to pay us in full including principle, interest and attorney fees by October 15, 2008.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine victory!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, now let this evil thread die. Mad

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spanked that Heinie! clap

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Congratulations, now let this evil thread die. Mad

Terry

Why is it evil? I think it served a useful purpose in enlightening forumites as to the pitfalls of unscrupulous, lying & coniving crooks posing asgunmakers.
Howard and I gave this shithead every opportunity and latitude in order to facilitate whatever "growing pains" his business was going through. In fact, i made the concious decision to pay him more than the 50% in order to help his cash flow.

In fact, I was prepared to pay him IN FULL before delivery and it was thanks to a similar thread about Hein's failure to deliver that gave me pause. It was then that I posted this thread and titled it accordingly. I kept records and logs of over one hundred phone calls & emails he failed to answer. Finally, the only way this thread's going to end is when Howard and myself have a certified check in our hands and not a second before. Now anybody want to take bets if he pays at all or waits until 15 October to pay up? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't start dancing in the streets until October 15!

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
To each his own and I'll leave it at that.

Terry