THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My Searcy 500NE range report-Shootaway saves the day!
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Searcy 500NE range report-Shootaway saves the day!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by AK_Stick:
must be because you're loading a standard caliber, with a metric press.

I have a Rockchucker-its not metric.

Yes, but you purchased it in Canada, so its obviously the metric press they make.

Its a well documented problem. Like using standard sockets on a metric bolt, sometimes you'll get the nut off, but it won't quite be straight in the bore of the socket.

If you'd purchased 9.3x74R or similar metric based rifle you'd have no problems.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are wrong again.I bought it from Sinclair in the 90's.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
Well the results speak for themselves, you've obviously gotten yourself a metric press.

If you buy a standard press, your bullets would come out concentric to the bore, and with the bases perfectly perpendicular to the cartridge base. That away as long as your rifle is on face, everything would be perfect.

Your rifle is on face isn't it?

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of factors that can attribute to a lack of concentricity besides the press,IMO.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
Not unless you're claiming that the maker of the best double rifle on the planet Mr Searcy made a mistake with the gun, and cut the chambers wrong, or your rifle is off face, both of which I'd be very sorry to hear, the fault simply must be in your press.

The bullets will only go in with the sides parallel to the case mouth walls, so unless you're deforming the cases, it simply has to be the slight difference in sizes between your metric press, and the standard ammunition.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It probably is the press.Metric???? I said I bought it from the US.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not the press...it's the metric powder that we use up here that causes the problems.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
They sell both, it could easily have been the wrong one, and the guy packing it just made a mistake.

Or perhaps when they shipped the dies to you, seeing that you're in Canada, they sent you dies for a metric press.

Quite obviously, the problem isn't with you. They set you up to fail.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am reminded of the old "Far Side" cartoon...the episode where the cat has followed the "Kat Fud" signs scrawled on the walls and floors, and is now standing in front of the open clothes dryer, with the last sign pointing inside. The dog is hiding in the corner, and the thought bubble above his head is saying "Oh, please...oh, please..." Smiler

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything is possible.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Sorry, can't look away from a train wreck!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
popcorn

Look at this you jerk. rotflmo
[URL= ]trophy target at 50yds[/URL]

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
From 10 yards?

Deo Vindice,

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
From 10 yards?

10 yds???? 50 long yards in the fog.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DoubleDon:
From 10 yards?

10 yds???? 50 long yards in the fog.[/QUOT

Yeah, dream on special needs dude Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
From 10 yards?

10 yds???? 50 long yards in the fog.[/QUOT

Yeah, dream on special needs dude Big Grin

I bet you never shot like that even in your dreams fakester Don. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Gotta love this one. Shitshisshorts with hands clasped like he has a load.

digginhttps://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/3821049691?r=5581090791#5581090791

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
All I can is WOW!!! Whistling

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gotta love this one. Shitshisshorts with hands clasped like he has a load. Tony looks not too happy and Chris with a big grin. Shootaway is a total dork as we all know. He is what he is! diggin

Well now that he knows about his defective press, I suspect he'll quickly be showing you up good sir.

sofa

Now to watch all of you big meanies eat your words Whistling

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Train Wreck

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
popcorn

Look at this you jerk. rotflmo
[URL= ]trophy target at 50yds[/URL]

When you get them like this, get back to us...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gotta love this one. Shitshisshorts with hands clasped like he has a load.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...581090791#5581090791
Tony looks not too happy and Chris with a big grin. Shootaway is a total dork as we all know. He is what he is! diggin

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I guess the really good news here is that there is NO CHANCE in hell this cat will ever reproduce! nilly

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I guess the really good news here is that there is NO CHANCE in hell this cat will ever reproduce! nilly

I hear ya. The Lord works in mysterious ways Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another few years and maybe he can figure out how those trade show hanging name badges work.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tony looks not too happy and Chris with a big grin.

. . . and Ralf has the biggest smile since he is not Butch.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God! Do I feel sorry for Butch. It is only a matter of time until he starts blaming Butch for his own ineptitude.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It is not Butch but a lose screw at the end of the trigger.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
Another few years and maybe he can figure out how those trade show hanging name badges work.

Nah ... impossible.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Searcy .470 NE 106gr IMR 4831, 500gr WLSP. Shot from a standing rest at 50 yards. Two on the right two on the left.

Bore was dirty and copper fouled. Maybe shootacow can explain what went wrong here?

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:

It would probably look worse that this poor guy.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
quote:

It would probably look worse that this poor guy.

Put a sombrero on George and the lineage will be proven. Gollum with a metric press!

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go on, call it your precious. You know you want to George.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It looks like it worked.It was foggy and raining and the sight picture was not as good as yesterday.I knew I had the best rifle.
[URL= ]50yds[/URL]

Not bad for a 10 yard target-----------

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wht gun did you use there Shootaway? look like small holes for a 500.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by npd345:
I wanna be sure I am reloading correctly here in the good old USA;

I am loading for a 22/6mm Ackley Improved. So I have a metric case and standard bullet.

Should I use a metric press for resizing, since it a metric designated case and the standard press for seating the bullet.....since I am in the USA....but if in Canada....would I use the metric press to seat the bullet and a standard press to resize?

George can you help me with this I don't think these other guys have a clue.... Wink

quote:
Well the results speak for themselves, you've obviously gotten yourself a metric press.

If you buy a standard press, your bullets would come out concentric to the bore, and with the bases perfectly perpendicular to the cartridge base. That away as long as your rifle is on face, everything would be perfect.

I read somewhere, I'll try and find the link, that if you have thermometers in your house that read in C. you need to load with the metric press regardless of caliber.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read somewhere, I'll try and find the link, that if you have thermometers in your house that read in C. you need to load with the metric press regardless of caliber.

That is actually only partially correct. if your thermometer reads in AND your speed limit signs are in KPH you DEFINITELY need the metric press or at least a metric calibration performed on that press.

Also and especially on your seating die if you are using a metric die with a standard caliber you can get isometric centering variation in the Y axis of the chamber to bullet center unless you switch to metric conforming bullets.

For instance a .510" diameter bullet will need to be isogonically reset to match a 12.954MM metric reset die you mix that with the thread variation in the seating body of a standard vs metric press and you've got some very serious isogonic variation issues. NOT something you want to fool around with.

Lets not even get into standard vs metric case trimming that s a whole other ball of wax!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am screwed then!! Our thermometer has a F scale on one side and C scale on the other!!

quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by npd345:
I wanna be sure I am reloading correctly here in the good old USA;

I am loading for a 22/6mm Ackley Improved. So I have a metric case and standard bullet.

Should I use a metric press for resizing, since it a metric designated case and the standard press for seating the bullet.....since I am in the USA....but if in Canada....would I use the metric press to seat the bullet and a standard press to resize?

George can you help me with this I don't think these other guys have a clue.... Wink

quote:

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cleaned the bores this morning and noticed there was barely any fouling.There was nothing that the wipe-out could not easily remove.I am glad the rifle is shooting because now I can put it away and let my body and mind heal and rest from the recoil of the 500.