THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My Searcy 500NE range report-Shootaway saves the day!
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Searcy 500NE range report-Shootaway saves the day!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The moment I long awaited for arrived.
I was at the range with a 500NE double rifle of my choice.
It was a very cold at minus 23 celisius but there was wood in the stove and only one shooter there.
I saw that there was too much snow at 50yds so I set a 5 foot high target stand up.
The 22 shooter is finished for the day but as soon as one of my cartridges catches his eye he sticks around.
What are you shooting he asks-a 500 I said.
Nitro express he says-yes I reply.
I am really stressed from the moment.
I remember what the recoil from the Lott did to me.
I think to myself-George are we starting this shit over again.
I take my time setting myself up from the sitting benchrest-sanbags, forearm padding-sight picture.
The fellow is still waiting probably to hear what a 500NE sounds like.
I have a snap cap in the second chamber in case of a double fire.
I gently squeeze the first trigger and to my surprise it is the snap cap.
There is no flinch however-as I did not expect one to be-this is a very important shot to me.
The rifle goes off on the second trigger and I feel relieved as I feel nothing but pleasure.
It is a Woodleigh 570gr soft and it strikes 5 inches low at 50yds but just to the left of the line down the middle of the paper.
I slip the second round in and the fellow wishes me a good evening and exits.
I fire the second shot with the first trigger and again the recoil is pleasant.
I take out the scope from my box and see that the bullet strikes right next to the other so they almost touch and make a beautiful group with the center line going right down between them.
I feel really good about the group and think to myself all I need now is a shorter front sight.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put up a second target-a black circle and slide in a NF CPS.
I set up my video camera.
The bullet strikes about 6 inches low of the bullseye but this time about 3 inches to the left.
I regret shooting a monometal.
I slide in two Woodleigh softs.
I get the same POI as the previous Woodleighs but two inches to the left.
(I can barely see it on my video-it is in the white)
I fire the second Woodleigh and it strikes an inch above it and an inch left of it(you can see it strike on the video).-Another nice group with the Woodleighs and Woodleighs become my bullet of choice for my 500NE.
50 yds video.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We give you advice all of the time and you ignore it. Here it is: Get off the bench and at least shoot off sticks George.

Unless you plan on bringing that same bench and all of your shooting accoutrements with you when you hunt, you are wasting bullets.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

I feel really good about the group and think to myself all I need now is a shorter front sight.

No... What you need to do is shoot it off sticks, use the regulation load that Butch used and don't wait five minutes between your first and second shots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Moore:
We give you advice all of the time and you ignore it. Here it is: Get off the bench and at least shoot off sticks George.

Unless you plan on bringing that same bench and all of your shooting accoutrements with you when you hunt, you are wasting bullets.

Matt

You think that rifles shoot elsewhere off sticks compared to the bench.You are a moron.

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Dude... Matt's right... Just try it... What do you have to lose?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
quote:

No... What you need to do is shoot it off sticks, use the regulation load that Butch used and don't wait five minutes between your first and second shots.

So if we wait 1 minute compared to 5 minutes between shots, bullets strike elsewhere.You are a moron too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey listen,you guys dont know anything about shooting rifles so fuck off.

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Yeah Cupcake, I'm probably a moron (and I'll fuck off)...

BUT, I'm a moron who knows how to shoot a DR!

Now: Pull the front trigger and as soon as you reset on the sticks and re-aquire your sight picture, light off the second barrel.

Just try it - That's all I'm saying... You owe it to the finest DR ever produced...

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
MORON ALERT!!!

But we already knew this a very long time ago!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, so this is what becoming a DR owner happens to a person....

Glad I no longer have interest in DRs, I don't want to become any more arrogant than I already am.... (satire)

George, why not take a risk and give the sticks or offhand a try? You may be surprised at the resultant POI!

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HPMaster:
Wow, so this is what becoming a DR owner happens to a person....

Glad I no longer have interest in DRs, I don't want to become any more arrogant than I already am.... (satire)

George, why not take a risk and give the sticks or offhand a try? You may be surprised at the resultant POI!

You are a Master at losing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched your shooting videos in Africa. You shoot well enough. You just don't like being told what to do. So I am telling you here and now: Don't shoot that double rifle off the sticks George...whatever you do. Do not shoot it off the sticks.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
George is a legend in his own mind. What a massive no hunt, no shoot POS!!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1698 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:

But I was never a harrassing MF to anyone.

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I have this weird image in my mind of Shootaway dressed in a pink mini-skirt rubbing his Searcy and listening Neil Diamond...

I just puked in my mouth...

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

To the contrary, you've been a harassing MF to most all of the AR members!! You just can't help yourself. You're just a total prick!

Deo Vindice,

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

To the contrary, you've been a harassing MF to most all of the AR members!! You just can't help yourself. You're just a total prick!

I have not visited a single one of your threads.
YOU have harrassed me on so many of mine.
I stand by what I said.
Go F yourself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
I have this weird image in my mind of Shootaway dressed in a pink mini-skirt rubbing his Searcy and listening Neil Diamond...

I just puked in my mouth...

I dont dress in skirts or listen to him but I like my Searcy 500.I did not think it would have so much an effect on me.I cant stand to be away from it.Now I just got to get it to shoot a little higher.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have not visited a single one of your threads.
YOU have harrassed me on so many of mine.
I stand by what I said.
Go F yourself.

CRYBABY CRYBABY rotflmo pissers

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,
it is really cold where you are,I would not worry about the sight at all,the poi will shift in colder temperature,all my DR's will shoot to a different poi in colder temperatures,enjoy your rifle.

DRSS

Posts: 2278 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is a good thread without some music.
Here is one song that is on my mind even though it is a little late for X-mas.
Blake,here is Justin for YOU

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . but I like my Searcy 500. I did not think it would have so much an effect on me. I cant stand to be away from it.

Coming from a middle aged single guy, that is disturbing at many levels.

Mike

Posts: 21420 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
. . . but I like my Searcy 500. I did not think it would have so much an effect on me. I cant stand to be away from it.

Coming from a middle aged single guy, that is disturbing at many levels.

Sadly, I have to agree. Frowner

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did not think it would have so much an effect on me.I cant stand to be away from it.Now I just got to get it to shoot a little higher.

Maybe you should turn down the lights, light some candles, throw on some Neil Diamond, Open it slowly... And...

I just puked in my mouth again...

P.S. Shootaway Dancing (courtesy of another AR member): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-jN3vH26NQ

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
You are right, shootaway, none of these guys know anything about shooting. But I do agree with them that you don't need to lower the front sight to hit 5" higher. The answer is easier than that. Next time you go to the range you'll be hitting dead center if you just place the target 5" lower than this time. Smiler

Regarding the "POI will not shift in colder temperature":
Cold powder doesn't produce the same pressure in a barrel as it does when hot. It is a well documented phenomenon.

quote:
From Temperature Effects on Zero
Once temperatures dropped below 26 °C, the POI dropped off quicker. Below the 15-20 °C mark, there was a ¼ MOA shift for every 3 °C change.

The difference between 21°C (70°F) and -23°C is 44°C. So, using the formula above it would mean approximately 2" at 50 yards. Perhaps the change in POI would be greater with the 500NE when you consider all the powder in those big, slow cartridges and that the temperature was "-23°C".

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Since the target that Butch made is wrong and his is right... Hmmm cuckoo

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do any of you waste your time on shootaway? He is a master shooter and a highly regarded hunter. Watch his videos and learn people..LEARN!

One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don't know about that, you harassed the hell out of that bull buffalo before you killed him.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I filed off .025 inch of the front sight and might pass by the range again today or tomorrow to see what happens.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Looking at the pictures you posted of the front sight, I'm a bit confused as to how you could file it down.

In any event, I always get Butch to include a higher front sight because all of the rifles I've bought from Butch (five with another coming) shot too high for me (for whatever reason). You can replace them with a simple turn of the set screw. (Corrected)

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7610 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Looking at the pictures you posted of the front sight, I'm a bit confused as to how you could file it down.

In any event, I always get Butch to include a shorter front sight because all of the rifles I've bought from Butch (five with another coming) shot too high for me (for whatever reason). You can replace them with a simple turn of the set screw.

I filed the base of the interchangeable front sight insert or bead.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:

In any event, I always get Butch to include a shorter front sight because all of the rifles I've bought from Butch (five with another coming) shot too high for me (for whatever reason). You can replace them with a simple turn of the set screw.

I dont understand.A shorter front sight will make you shoot higher.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the 4 or 5 Lotts I own I got the same POI with each one and the same with nearly everyone that has one.For example with the RSM Lott you need to use the second leaf sight to hit center at 50 or 100yds.The fixed read sight shoots way too low.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey listen,you guys dont know anything about shooting rifles so fuck off.

Ha-ha-ha!!

I get really entertained here up in the cold North.. Big Grin

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love all of Shootaways threads. They are a lot like watching a car wreck happen...you know you don't really want to see what's going to come next but you can't look away either.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
He's already gone to work with the files... I'll give it to him: He's a problem solver! He'd almost have to be, given all the problems he creates...

JDA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not take .075 off and save a trip to the range? Butch will get you a new front sight, so no worries Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George-
Please, just no future mention of Dremel tools. Seriously, you might want to give Butch a call and ask him about
1) which trigger to pull first
2) time between shots
3) how temp will effect ammo
4) shooting style, including rests & how to grip the forearm
5) what will duplicate the load he regulated with, including bullet, powder, primer

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Butch will get you a new front sight, so no worries
..the fatal flaw in that is, it makes way too much sense...