THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My Searcy 500NE range report-Shootaway saves the day!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Searcy 500NE range report-Shootaway saves the day!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Where is Shootacow? I haven't seen him around for a few days... Kinda getting used to making fun of him; Miss it a little...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
Where is Shootacow? I haven't seen him around for a few days... Kinda getting used to making fun of him; Miss it a little...

you mean Shootaway-I had a stomach gastro and was in bed in my spare time the last couple of days.I am now waiting eagerly for my sight beads to arrive so I can shoot my fabulous Searcy again!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Being sick sucks!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Hey Shootacow... Bet you can't wait for the new sight beads... So much filing, so little time.

Glad you're feeling better!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If he had a tummy ache shouldn't his new name be Shitzlikeacow?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I made myself a cleaning rod guide and have a new coated cleaning rod on order.
[URL= ]1[/URL]
[URL= ]2[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Oh dear god George while your idea for a cleaning rod guide may have merit, although I don't think they are necessary when rodding from the chamber end, but if you want to use one please don't use the one you have made, that is just going to butcher your rods outer coating. Don't you have access to a small lathe or can't you use a sharper drill, please god forbid.

ndp345 have you tried drilling lead? Also soft lead could absorb abrasives, not good for the rod or the barrel.

Posts: 3913 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I made myself a cleaning rod guide and have a new coated cleaning rod on order.

Hey Shootacow: Why don't you use a brass tube that is the length of the barrel so as to protect it from you...

Just a thought.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Oh dear god George while your idea for a cleaning rod guide may have merit, although I don't think they are necessary when rodding from the chamber end, but if you want to use one please don't use the one you have made, that is just going to butcher your rods outer coating. Don't you have access to a small lathe or can't you use a sharper drill, please god forbid.

ndp345 have you tried drilling lead? Also soft lead could absorb abrasives, not good for the rod or the barrel.

Actually stupid,a very sharp drill bit was used to easily drill this.The hole needs to be smoothed out but that does not require a genius to figure out.The whole point is to prevent the cleaning rod shaft from bending.That and a thicker or larger diameter rod will go a long way to prevent any damage to the lands.The rod I ordered was a Dewey coated .35 cal.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
This thread is just like a multi-vehicle accident on the freeway.

You don't want to look.......

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No I have not, thanks for the advice!

quote:

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Actually stupid,a very sharp drill bit was used to easily drill this.The hole needs to be smoothed out but that does not require a genius to figure out.The whole point is to prevent the cleaning rod shaft from bending.That and a thicker or larger diameter rod will go a long way to prevent any damage to the lands.The rod I ordered was a Dewey coated .35 cal.

I hope for your sake George that the next time you visit your dentist he doesn't use the "sharp" drill bit you used Big Grin

PS. I hope you are not by chance a dentist? Wink

Posts: 3913 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not worry about the rod but instead how it-the rod guide is going to stay in place when pushed back and forth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just thought I would post this-a post from another thread about bore cleaning.I think it was a great post.

post by amamnn

[URL= posted 21 February 2010 06:13 Hide Post Apparently no one......... so--here is my experience with wipe out and other wonder cleaners versus copper fouling and the borescope. (they all seem to zap the carbon fairly well) Before we get to that I would like to say that after using wipe out on several bores, I feel that people should not be put off by others who count the foaming, expanding, action of this cleaner as waste. Remember there is a large component in that foam which is nothing but formerly compressed air; air weighs next to nothing and you have not paid for more air in wipe out than for the empty space at the top of another cleaner. That being said........ People who have told me time and again that I have no room to talk about cleaners until and unless I got a borescope and actually looked at what they were doing in the bore, used to tire me out. They acted sooooooooooo superior!!!!! Just to prove them to be jerks I got one.... They were right. Easy bore cleaning like scrubbing bubbles and get rich quick schemes are all the same--BUSH WA. I figured that if you were a hunter and only shot 3 or 4 rounds in a hunt then took your rifle home and had time to let wipe out sit in the barrel for minutes--or hours--or days--according to the directions and how much copper fouling you had--well that was ok. I shoot mainly match rifles and clean between relays and do not have that kind of time to let chemicals sit in the barrel, so I figured the hunters might be able to get a barrel clean the easy way. Even that was wrong. Recently, after getting the borescope, I took a Model 70 Winchester in .30-06 out of the gun safe and looked in the bore. This was a rifle that I had assumed was copper fouled and had "cleaned" with wipe out (following the directions on the can EXACTLY) until there were no traces of copper on the patches. It had only been fired 10 times in the last session, as my shoulders can no longer take the pounding they once could. To my surprise the barrel was still copper fouled. I immediately applied the wipe out again thinking that for some reason I had missed the copper traces on the patches during the last cleaning????!!!! I got a slightly blue trace after letting the foam sit in the barrel 15 minutes, but a quick look with the borescope showed copper still in the barrel. I applied Wipe out again and again followed the directions and after letting the chemical sit in the bore 24 hours the patches I ran through the bore came out as white as if washed in all temp a cheer Harold...........no copper indicated with wipe out. Looking in the barrel showed the copper still present and not just lightly present or sorta present, it was PRESENT. A single application of Bore tech Eliminator showed heavy copper traces. I ran dry patches through until they came out white. An application of wipe out again showed white on the very first(wet) patch. Hoppe's Elite Bore gel showed copper....again wipe out--no copper--the old standby--witches' brew (Shooter's choice and Kroil mixed 50/50) showed copper--again Wipe out did not. A look in the bore after all that--any bets? Copper was still present. MY CONCLUSION: I finally went back to the other old standby that has really worked as long as I have been shooting and cleaning (over 57 years) scrubbing--elbow grease-- work-- JB bore cleaner--there is no free lunch. I just finished repeating this experiment with the "wonder cleaners" in a different order. This time on an AR-15 and an AR-10 that were copper fouled. One was squeaky clean and shot 4 times and the other was squeaky clean and shot 10 times. You can mix up the wonder cleaners in any order you like; the results were the same. Just to be sure I took the AR10 out Friday and shot another 4 rounds--then cleaned using JB bore cleaner as per directions--no show of copper using the borescope--to be double sure I ran a wet Eliminator patch through and also got no trace. If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual ]1[/URL]

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just thought I would post this-a post from another thread about bore cleaning.I think it was a great post.

post by amamnn

[URL= posted 21 February 2010 06:13 Hide Post Apparently no one......... so--here is my experience with wipe out and other wonder cleaners versus copper fouling and the borescope. (they all seem to zap the carbon fairly well) Before we get to that I would like to say that after using wipe out on several bores, I feel that people should not be put off by others who count the foaming, expanding, action of this cleaner as waste. Remember there is a large component in that foam which is nothing but formerly compressed air; air weighs next to nothing and you have not paid for more air in wipe out than for the empty space at the top of another cleaner. That being said........ People who have told me time and again that I have no room to talk about cleaners until and unless I got a borescope and actually looked at what they were doing in the bore, used to tire me out. They acted sooooooooooo superior!!!!! Just to prove them to be jerks I got one.... They were right. Easy bore cleaning like scrubbing bubbles and get rich quick schemes are all the same--BUSH WA. I figured that if you were a hunter and only shot 3 or 4 rounds in a hunt then took your rifle home and had time to let wipe out sit in the barrel for minutes--or hours--or days--according to the directions and how much copper fouling you had--well that was ok. I shoot mainly match rifles and clean between relays and do not have that kind of time to let chemicals sit in the barrel, so I figured the hunters might be able to get a barrel clean the easy way. Even that was wrong. Recently, after getting the borescope, I took a Model 70 Winchester in .30-06 out of the gun safe and looked in the bore. This was a rifle that I had assumed was copper fouled and had "cleaned" with wipe out (following the directions on the can EXACTLY) until there were no traces of copper on the patches. It had only been fired 10 times in the last session, as my shoulders can no longer take the pounding they once could. To my surprise the barrel was still copper fouled. I immediately applied the wipe out again thinking that for some reason I had missed the copper traces on the patches during the last cleaning????!!!! I got a slightly blue trace after letting the foam sit in the barrel 15 minutes, but a quick look with the borescope showed copper still in the barrel. I applied Wipe out again and again followed the directions and after letting the chemical sit in the bore 24 hours the patches I ran through the bore came out as white as if washed in all temp a cheer Harold...........no copper indicated with wipe out. Looking in the barrel showed the copper still present and not just lightly present or sorta present, it was PRESENT. A single application of Bore tech Eliminator showed heavy copper traces. I ran dry patches through until they came out white. An application of wipe out again showed white on the very first(wet) patch. Hoppe's Elite Bore gel showed copper....again wipe out--no copper--the old standby--witches' brew (Shooter's choice and Kroil mixed 50/50) showed copper--again Wipe out did not. A look in the bore after all that--any bets? Copper was still present. MY CONCLUSION: I finally went back to the other old standby that has really worked as long as I have been shooting and cleaning (over 57 years) scrubbing--elbow grease-- work-- JB bore cleaner--there is no free lunch. I just finished repeating this experiment with the "wonder cleaners" in a different order. This time on an AR-15 and an AR-10 that were copper fouled. One was squeaky clean and shot 4 times and the other was squeaky clean and shot 10 times. You can mix up the wonder cleaners in any order you like; the results were the same. Just to be sure I took the AR10 out Friday and shot another 4 rounds--then cleaned using JB bore cleaner as per directions--no show of copper using the borescope--to be double sure I ran a wet Eliminator patch through and also got no trace. If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual ]1[/URL]

I'll say it again. Shootacow ... what a dumb F*$%er!!

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

post by amamnn

I'll say it again. Shootacow ... what a dumb F*$%er!!

Shootacow... Do not forget to affix a stainless-steel brush to the end of your dremel tool for cleaning out the chambers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if shootacow is planning on doing some bench rest competition with his new rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norsk:
I have some experience shooting NE loads in different temperatures (from -30c to +30c). My 470NE loads velocity have dropped over 100fps at below -20. I have also seen big POI changes corresponding to velocity drop. Regulation has also been affected. I can not believe you are so impulsive as to "solve the problem" by filing down the front sight. Are you planning to have two front sights (or more) for different temperatures? You do know that your dremelled rifle will shoot high in africa using the same load you "tuned it to" in Canada.... Think!

You are 100% correct Sir, it is going to be interesting to see this man show up with a box of sights and a box of files either if it ever warms in Canada or in the heat of the African Bush. It may prove for another melodrama from the frozen north.

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I feel like laughing & crying at the same time when I read this thread!

After all this drama, I hope George gets his rifle shooting well.

I would be really interested to compare targets shot in January with those shot in August or shot in African summer.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny how Mangia Merde's cbioce of posts include a prick like himself to describe his attempts to compare Wipe-Out and other cleaners as if to validate his neurotic fantasies of shooting double rifles. Negative people are the turds of the world.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Shootacow's been hiding as of late... I have a sneaking suspicion he decided that the best method of getting the thing on paper would be to de-solder the barrels.

Dude is a trip...

JDA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I should be at the range tomorrow again with the 500NE and a couple of new front sight beads to try.

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should be at the range tomorrow again with the 500NE and a couple of new front sight beads to try.

Shootacow: This is a new one... QD front sights... Only in Montreal!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from the range and here is my target.It has been awhile since I have been able to get there early on a nice day.I had two front bead sights to try and get the POI up about 6 inches.One-a partridge filed down and a second very short .177 bead.
I am always busy and have to much on my mind and even if I asked myself did I forget anything over and over before setting out,I still screwed up.
This time I forgot to remove the heavy coat of oil I applied to the bore before shooting.
The first shot made my heart sink.It was too too high and I thought-shit-not what I wished.The next few shots were all over the place and I thought-shit again.I was searching for solutions and had just about given up when the rifle began to group.It seems that after cleaning to the metal and getting over the oil,the rifle needed some fouling before the moly coated rds would settle.It finally settled and the sights were shooting right were they were supposed to.It turns out that the .177 bead shot a litttle too high and that I really need a .197.I guess the rifle is fine the way it is.A couple of Woodleigh solids ended the day shooting a couple of inches just above the bullseye.Next time around I think I will leave the heavy cleaning to my bolt rifles.The 380 loctite worked really well.
[URL= ]50yds[/URL]

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I suggest that you take that last advice from yourself (and a few others, perhaps)! My Searcys always shot better with a couple of fouling rounds. When taking the rifles to Africa, unless it rained or something, I'd just wipe down the exterior and await getting home for a through cleaning.

Looks like you're getting there... and the bluing on the rifle looks better with the stickiness from the shipping bubble wrap, etc., removed... if that is what it was?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]Searcy 500NE[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will say that I think the Lott would have cut me down had I been shooting it or at least I think-anyways it was a thrill shooting this today-something that I did not expect.It was also a learning experience-for shooting double rifles.I can say that every range visit has been a learning experience for me.

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Shootacow: A couple of the LEAST dorky'est posts I've ever read from you.

I'm glad for two things: 1) You got your rifle to shoot; 2) You changed the picture.

Cheers.

P.S. Don't forget to shoot from sticks and free-hand to confirm zero.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, no, no! Don't be sucked in! He does this all the time. Show him the slightest regard and he'll most definitely shit on you! Tread lightly as shoo-cow is simply on a fishing trip! We've all been here before. coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forget this. Go visit the NO drama thread of Eland Slayer and see how his new Searcy (also a 500 NE) shot for him. He just shouldered it and fired. I'd say Butch knows what he is doing as Eland Slayer is looking mighty good with the first few shots.

I can't wait for the report from Shotaweighs come summer time and the groups from this rifle are not moving at all due to warm temperature. I bet George scratches a hole in his scalp on that one.

Operator Error
Operator Error

I had to say it once for each barrel!

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
like the new picture.

good luck changing that sight if you used the Loctite 380 that is some very strong stuff!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it looks like he has the sight set right, at the moment. How long that will last, is the next big mystery. This may get scary yet.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 209jones:
Well, it looks like he has the sight set right, at the moment. How long that will last, is the next big mystery. This may get scary yet.

No worries, a Dremel can help remove the "cement."

I wish the SN will be published so as the people looking for Searcy doubles will be forewarned.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Shooting down a heavily oiled barrel Frowner

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

No, no, no! Don't be sucked in! He does this all the time. Show him the slightest regard and he'll most definitely shit on you! Tread lightly as shoo-cow is simply on a fishing trip! We've all been here before. coffee

Moment of pure weakness ... Will not happen again.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Shooting down a heavily oiled barrel Frowner

Was just noting that. Well, at least we know the rifle passed proof testing.

rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
At this point I think Miley Cyrus is making better decisions than Shootaway.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to get out to the range again today to see if all is well.I gave the rifle a very light cleaning with a brush and some ordinary copper solvent and then flushed out with WD-40 and wiped down dry.It seems that the rifle was fouled enough to shoot very well.I fired two Woodleigh RNSP and went home.I will wait for a .197 front bead before shooting it again.
[URL= ]50yds[/URL]

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
If you really used Loctite 380 you may be stuck with your present bead forever. Was the above target shot freehand, off sticks, off a standing rest, or off a bench?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did not say I used loctite on my bead.I used a drop under my rear sight.I am shooting off the bench for the time being or until I get center POI.