THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My Searcy 500NE range report-Shootaway saves the day!
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Searcy 500NE range report-Shootaway saves the day!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just hate giving those real Savants a bad name.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Hey George,

Just noticed the unsightly extra glue you have by the sight. As proud owner of a fine rifle, I am sure that little blemish bothers you more than it bothers me. So here's what to do - take some rubbing compound and start a gentle rub. The rifle that is. If that doesn't work, move up to 0000 steel wool. Keep moving up grit until all the blue/ black is gone. That will fix 'er right up, u betcha.

The other thing you probably figured out by now is that vertical separation between your last group is, well, not what it should be. Being the perfectionist, I am sure you can do better. Get the dremel tool out and apply some light pressure on the roof of the left barrel. Not too much, as you can always surface more out. Have a light hand and watch that group tighten!

Please make sure to post the results. You will really like it.

Cheers Eh...

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
When you adopt a puppy they inspect you to see if you are capable of providing it a proper home. Shouldn't that apply to Double Rifles?

I think there is much merit to this idea. Want a HH Royal Double? Fill out adoption papers, receive manditory education and training and when passed pay the fees...

I recall that several years ago, one could not actually BUY a new Ferrari in certain models. I think it was in the late 1990s/early 2000s that the company got tired of people buying the vehicles, letting them sit in a garage, and then flipping them for a big profit a few years or even months later. So, Ferrari instituted a plan in which one could only LEASE. After it had been proven to the manufacturer that the car had actually been driven a minimum number of miles over a number of years...THEN the customer could actually buy it. If I recall correctly, these customers also had to show that they had a previous history with the vehicles or manufacturer and were "responsible owners". The same rules should perhaps apply to double rifles. Lease one, prove to the mfg. that you won't screw it up and will actually hunt with it...and then you get to own it.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
quote:
When you adopt a puppy they inspect you to see if you are capable of providing it a proper home. Shouldn't that apply to Double Rifles?

I think there is much merit to this idea. Want a HH Royal Double? Fill out adoption papers, receive manditory education and training and when passed pay the fees...

I recall that several years ago, one could not actually BUY a new Ferrari in certain models. I think it was in the late 1990s/early 2000s that the company got tired of people buying the vehicles, letting them sit in a garage, and then flipping them for a big profit a few years or even months later. So, Ferrari instituted a plan in which one could only LEASE. After it had been proven to the manufacturer that the car had actually been driven a minimum number of miles over a number of years...THEN the customer could actually buy it. If I recall correctly, these customers also had to show that they had a previous history with the vehicles or manufacturer and were "responsible owners". The same rules should perhaps apply to double rifles. Lease one, prove to the mfg. that you won't screw it up and will actually hunt with it...and then you get to own it.

I like Ferrari's idea. At a minimum a background check and basic knowledge tests.
Maybe DR manufacturers can sell "Shootaway Grade" doubles that do not require any background checks ect. If they take good care of a "Shootaway Grade" model for say a year they can upgrade to "Field Grade" and so on.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27601 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Is it time to send in a SEAL team to rescue the double? Get the Canadian PM on the phone and ask for permission to enter Canadian airspace.

Posts: 27601 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
quote:

John,

That rifle of George's? It ain't no Ferarri!

Bada-boom! Thank you! I'll be here all week! jumping

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Then why do match shooters take a "fouling shot?"

Because of the isooptic convergence continuum theory you silly man.

Does this have anything at all to do with the Coriolis effect? Just checking.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
The US economy is in the sewer and 18 trillion in debt, the values our country became great on are quickly falling away, illegal immigration is unchecked by both parties, the middle east is getting the atomic bomb, entertainment stars are the like of Lady GaGa, Justin Bieber, and Miley Cyrus, most US states are broke, taxes are out of control, greed abounds on Wall Street, the welfare mindset is now in the majority of our population, gays and immorality are the rule on television, education is dumbed down so everyone advances, and personal responsibility and accountability are just about a thing of the past. I can live with all of the above.

But, to give Shootaway 10 pages? This I have a difficult time with.
Cheers, mates.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Picture story......

one of us
posted Hide Post
No Ferrari for me-I would have liked if I was young and rich but it does not suit me now and I am not really into cars.I like good rifles and good hunting-aside from that I dont know what I like-I am lost.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's too bad. I would love to see you walk into a Ferrari dealership, with a toolbox full of vice-grips and files, a half-full tube of Loctite jutting out of your shirt pocket, asking for a test drive. Smiler

"Security to the reception desk, please!"

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
quote:
quote:

The Coriolis effect only occurs in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE. It's one of the reason so many African countries have banned reloading.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7612 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The Coriolis effect only occurs in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE. It's one of the reason so many African countries have banned reloading.

This a commonly-held fallacy. Studies have proven the existence of a worm-hole in the space-time continuum, connecting the Southern Hemisphere with the bedrock beneath Quebec. It's one of the main reasons why there are so many vehement supporters of Quebec's separatist movement...they believe that once ties are severed with the rest of Canada, they will be sucked through the worm-hole and end up in Tahiti.

Explains a lot, doesn't it?

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
That's too bad. I would love to see you walk into a Ferrari dealership, with a toolbox full of vice-grips and files, a half-full tube of Loctite jutting out of your shirt pocket, asking for a test drive. Smiler

"Security to the reception desk, please!"

animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike: Where did you find George's picture?

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This a commonly-held fallacy. Studies have proven the existence of a worm-hole in the space-time continuum, connecting the Southern Hemisphere with the bedrock beneath Quebec. It's one of the main reasons why there are so many vehement supporters of Quebec's separatist movement...they believe that once ties are severed with the rest of Canada, they will be sucked through the worm-hole and end up in Tahiti.

Explains a lot, doesn't it?

Quebec disappearing down a worm hole doesn't sound like a bad thing! Is it too much to ask for the GTA to go with it?

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1829 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did I post this in the political forum?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A picture of a nice 450-400 I found on the web.[URL= ]450-400[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Surestrike: Where did you find George's picture?

Dutch

Medical dictionary.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the 1996 film. For the tool used to cut vegetation, see Kaiser blade.

Sling Blade is a 1996 American drama film set in rural Arkansas, written and directed by Billy Bob Thornton, who also stars in the lead role. It tells the story of a man with a developmental disability named Karl Childers who is released from a psychiatric hospital, where he has lived since killing his mother and her lover when he was 12 years old, and the friendship he develops with a young boy. In addition to Thornton, it stars Dwight Yoakam, J. T. Walsh, John Ritter, Lucas Black, Natalie Canerday, James Hampton, and Robert Duvall.
The movie was adapted by Thornton from his short film and previous screenplay, Some Folks Call It a Sling Blade. Sling Blade proved to be a sleeper hit, launching Thornton into stardom. It won the Academy Award for Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay, and Thornton was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role. The music for the soundtrack was provided by French Canadian artist/producer Daniel Lanois."

There is a "French Canadian Connection." animal

Yes, surestrike got it from my medical dictionary, but his pairing of it with a wrecked ferrari was comedic genius! clap

I think I was the first to post about the uncanny resemblance between holycowshootawhey and Billy Bob Thornton's character in "Sling Blade."

Member Matt Moore gets credit for the brilliance of "shootawhey."
When it is good, it sticks. tu2

I bet holycowshootawhey has the entire collection of "Mighty Mouse" cartoons on VHS tape
and he watches them daily while rodding his DR with JB paste on a patch over a steel-bristle brush. holycow

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway did not make this a 10 page topic; posters such as yourself and me filled his post with unnecessary crap.

As such I am deleting my unrelated posts. I had my fun but this has gone to far.
shane

QUOTE]Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
The US economy is in the sewer and 18 trillion in debt, the values our country became great on are quickly falling away, illegal immigration is unchecked by both parties, the middle east is getting the atomic bomb, entertainment stars are the like of Lady GaGa, Justin Bieber, and Miley Cyrus, most US states are broke, taxes are out of control, greed abounds on Wall Street, the welfare mindset is now in the majority of our population, gays and immorality are the rule on television, education is dumbed down so everyone advances, and personal responsibility and accountability are just about a thing of the past. I can live with all of the above.

But, to give Shootaway 10 pages? This I have a difficult time with.
Cheers, mates.
Cal[/QUOTE]

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mustard on a biscuit:

one of us
posted Hide Post
This went 10 pages because people want to learn about doubles and shooting from someone they believe has that knowledge.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
This went 10 pages because people want to learn about doubles and shooting from someone they believe has that knowledge.

Actually, Cal really didn't make that many posts on this thread, so it had to be something else.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Actually, Cal really didn't make that many posts on this thread, so it had to be something else.

What makes you think Cal knows anything? I've seen his doubles. They are all trash. sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7612 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
What makes you think Cal knows anything? I've seen his doubles. They are all trash.

Frostbit speaks the truth. Truer words were never spoken here.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I am about to go to the doc and have my BP checked as I have been feeling a bit strange.

Now having read this, I am not sure if my BP will be or if it has cheered me up! Big Grin

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11023 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for poasting this thread George.

I learn a lot form your posts. Most of these guys are just jealous of you. Ignore the fools.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ZombieKiller.It is nice to have a positive comment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, even when he shoots north to south.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uh-oh...ZombieKiller meets Shootaway...

Sounds like Tokyo is in danger again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uh-oh...ZombieKiller meets Shootaway...

Sounds like Tokyo is in danger again.

If you want good people to be nice to you dont throw rocks at them.MANY,MANY here have thrown rocks and then hid away pretending to be the AR good mannered group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a big difference between throwing rocks...and throwing them BACK.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Someone not responding to you for whatever reason or not agreeing with you on shooting matters is not to be taken as throwing rocks.on the other hand if you behave like a delinquint then that is throwing rocks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want good people to be nice to you dont throw rocks at them.MANY,MANY here have thrown rocks and then hid away pretending to be the AR good mannered group.

This made me blink. I actually went back and read this whole thread, instead of just the bits'n'pieces I've glanced at. I thought that it would be entertaining to highlight a few of the comments made by you...the ones that indicate that you probably shouldn't be allowed near firearms, tools or Loctite. That turned out to be far too onerous a task...I didn't want to make a whole new pot of coffee to carry me through it. So instead, here is a sampling of just your wit...none of your stupid comments (okay, maybe just the very last one!), none of your shooting "wisdom"...just a taste of how you respond to, and interact with, your fellow shooters, many of whom were making efforts to assist you. Remember: this is all from JUST ONE THREAD!

quote:
You think that rifles shoot elsewhere off sticks compared to the bench.You are a moron.

quote:
So if we wait 1 minute compared to 5 minutes between shots, bullets strike elsewhere.You are a moron too.

quote:
Hey listen,you guys dont know anything about shooting rifles so fuck off.

quote:
You are a Master at losing.

quote:
But I was never a harrassing MF to anyone.

quote:
I stand by what I said.
Go F yourself.

quote:
correction,I am a shooting genius not a firearms genius

quote:
I have nothing to delete.If swearing bothers you just ignore.

quote:
You are a lady or what? Does your wife beat you up? rotflmo

quote:
I had figured that a long time ago but forgot.

quote:
What a load of crap.Oz,like I said to you before-you are and always will be a scope shooter.Remember not long ago you were hunting Africa with a scoped Steyr.Thats how much you know.

quote:
Actually stupid,a very sharp drill bit was used to easily drill this.The hole needs to be smoothed out but that does not require a genius to figure out.

quote:
I had to compensate for stupid people like you who send me sight inserts without a set screw.

quote:
BTW crap head, I will be shooting my Searcy...

quote:
I corrected the posted picture.Stop acting like a woman.

quote:
Have you ever shot a double at 50yds?

quote:
You are wrong again.

quote:
Look at this you jerk.

quote:
I bet you never shot like that even in your dreams fakester Don. rotflmo

quote:
because they dont know as much as me

quote:

Again, for clarity: all of this bile, from JUST THIS ONE THREAD. It's an eye-opener, at least it was for me. I wasn't expecting it to be pretty, but this exceeds my most negative expectations. All joking aside, you are one serious asshole.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Someone not responding to you for whatever reason or not agreeing with you on shooting matters is not to be taken as throwing rocks.on the other hand if you behave like a delinquint then that is throwing rocks.

You just don't get that you're not getting it, are you?

Thank God you were unleashed on a Searcy and not a rising-bite Rigby or drop-lock Westley.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jvw375:

You just don't get that you're not getting it, are you?

Thank God you were unleashed on a Searcy and not a rising-bite Rigby or drop-lock Westley.

There is small comfort in the above, but yes, some comfort.
Karl "Sling Blade" Childers liked mustard on his biscuits.
holycowshootawhey on a Searcy is like mustard on a biscuit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey RIP,shove your plastic stocked CZ up your ass. rotflmoand pretty,pretty,triple pretty please stay away from doubles. animaland that goes for your buddy Michael too!Too much bullshit in this world we dont need anymore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Too much bullshit we don't need in this world anymore." When will you be leaving us, Karl? (I'll refrain from comment on the construction of your sentence.)

Dutch