THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My Searcy 500NE range report-Shootaway saves the day!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Searcy 500NE range report-Shootaway saves the day!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I called Butch and we both agreed that the lower POI is probably caused by the extreme difference in temperature between California and Quebec.Got a lower sight bead on the way!

George-Look back at the first page....several people tried to tell you early on this might be a issue. You either ignored them or made rude remarks. Why anyone still tries to help you is beyond my understanding, I know I am finished.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
quote:
I called Butch and we both agreed that the lower POI is probably caused by the extreme difference in temperature between California and Quebec.Got a lower sight bead on the way!

George-Look back at the first page....several people tried to tell you early on this might be a issue. You either ignored them or made rude remarks. Why anyone still tries to help you is beyond my understanding, I know I am finished.

Ken cause this forum is full of shallow people (like me) who enjoy watching a train wreck.

ShootAway is a firearms genius or is that shooting genius - one of them.

He is like an idiot savant with the savant part missing.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He is like an idiot savant with the savant part missing.

jumping

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad the shorter front sight will work. I disagree with the reasoning.

Are you telling me there is a velocity difference so great that the point of impact at 50 or less yards is greater than 6"? I am not buying it. Why aren't the groups spreading out?

Is it an air density issue? I talked with an expert and he said there would be a difference at long range but nothing like that at 50 yards or less.

The bottom line is your grouping size is virtually unchanged from the regulation target Butch gave you. So there is something different between your form and Butch's...what could it be?

nilly

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Moore:
I am glad the shorter front sight will work. I disagree with the reasoning.

Are you telling me there is a velocity difference so great that the point of impact at 50 or less yards is greater than 6"? I am not buying it. Why aren't the groups spreading out?

Is it an air density issue? I talked with an expert and he said there would be a difference at long range but nothing like that at 50 yards or less.

The bottom line is your grouping size is virtually unchanged from the regulation target Butch gave you. So there is something different between your form and Butch's...what could it be?

nilly

Matt

This is what we suspect.There can be a large difference in POI height without any reduction in velocity.I have experienced this many times-especially when the barrel life is almost gone or when there is a change in the bedding of a rifle.So POI change does not neccessarily mean velocity change.The burn rate of this powder could be effected by cold temperatures-but I am not sure.
Whatever it is the rifle is great.It is regulated very well.I shot those last two groups with low light too-so that is good despite the low light.The first group best characterizes the rifle.The triggers are set just right IMO as to prevent a double fire.The recoil on this feels better than any of my Lotts but that could be just how I felt that day.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Moore:

Is it an air density issue?

nilly

Matt

There is definitely a density issue, but it doubt there is an air density issue.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello there my fellow Canadian George.

Did you really get a double? or you just said you

got one to join the club? or get these AR members

throwing the first stone at you?

Posts: 133 | Location: Eskimo Point - CANADA | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George - I like the way you think, on the award that is. Cash is always King, huh?

Larry Sellers

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Have to agree on "Most entertaining thread of 2013". Sure beats Saeed and Shakari going round and round and round and round and round, bashing SCI on the African fourm. Is there some kind of trophy or award for this honor?

Larry Sellers
SCI (International) Life Member
Soon to be DSC Member

quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
I think we should give shootaway the "2013 AR Entertainer of the Year" award! dancing

465H&H

I will settle for cash.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you could let someone else fire the rifle after you have. I have seen POI change between different shooters.
Also off a high raised bench with only for-end contact (no elbows or rear stock). With the bench that leaves your stance similar to when you shoot off hand.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Perhaps you could let someone else fire the rifle after you have. I have seen POI change between different shooters.
Also off a high raised bench with only for-end contact (no elbows or rear stock). With the bench that leaves your stance similar to when you shoot off hand.

Of course, but you won't convince him of that fact.

Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sight picture is sight picture we all see the same thing.Does your rifle shoot differently offhand compared to off a bench? Mine dont!
Over the years of shooting my arms have become conditioned to strongly hold the rifle the way I do.I understand what you are saying and I thought at once this may be true but haved proved it to myself otherwise.Anyways it is good to have some logic in our thoughts before saying that a rifle will shoot differently when it is shot from a standing rest compared to...

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
You will have different point of impact in the different stances such as off hand, off bench with elbows rested, on bench with minimum contact and off sticks. Different weight in for-end support or position will change impact position greatly.
I agree that we all see the sights and target the same BUT even a slight shim of the bead covered will change impact.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You will have different point of impact in the different stances such as off hand, off bench with elbows rested, on bench with minimum contact and off sticks. Different weight in for-end support or position will change impact position greatly.
I agree that we all see the sights and target the same BUT even a slight shim of the bead covered will change impact.

What a load of crap.Oz,like I said to you before-you are and always will be a scope shooter.Remember not long ago you were hunting Africa with a scoped Steyr.Thats how much you know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 209jones:
Best make real sure you have that rear sight in the proper place using Loctite 380. Only way to loosen it is with direct heat. I don't think you would like the result of that.

Wouldnt that depend on how much you use and where you apply it? I never used it just asking.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What a load of crap.Oz,like I said to you before-you are and always will be a scope shooter.Remember not long ago you were hunting Africa with a scoped Steyr.Thats how much you know.

You are indeed a very special fellow that's for sure. coffee

You should easily be able to constantly put groups together like this off hand at 50 if not then you have a problem NOT the sights.

Note; Even sun position will alter impact if using a bead front sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OzHunter looks like he can shoot. Maybe we should ask him if he is shooting of the bench like you George. Hey OzHunter, what did you use to shoot your double rifle groupings in the photo besides a double rifle, bullets and a target? Sandbags, bench, rest, etc?

I am curious and I am betting George is too shy to ask or is busy playing with other toys.

Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Savikataaq Jr:
Hello there my fellow Canadian George.

Did you really get a double? or you just said you

got one to join the club? or get these AR members

throwing the first stone at you?

Hello Joe,
Nice to hear from a hunter from our north-the land of Farley Mowat!
Yes, got one to join the club and to hunt with two barrels like I did when hunting long ago.
I no longer care about the stones.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Actually, from shit-his-pants' "Predictable Accuracy" thread, I think his barrels are fouled, not to mention his brain. I base that on the fact that his bullets are "dropping" so really the only thing to do at this point is to get out that brand new set of brushes (Hmmm, 2 barrels now so does that mean he needs 2 brushes?) and start heating up those tubes from scrubbing. And don't forget George, discard those brushes after each scrubbing and use a brand new one. Otherwise, those hits are just going to keep on "dropping"!!

What a dumb F*$&#er!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didnt think people would be so jelous of my rifle.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Shoot With A Scope: Save A Cow!

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Mike - I'm taking a big leap hear in saying that Shitaway is one of the French Canadians that want succession from the rest of Canada.

He get's a kick out of us reacting to him - I think it's kind of fun to denigrate him...

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Believe me, having spent time in Alberta and British Columbia, they would be happy to see Queerbec succeed.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Believe me, having spent time in Alberta and British Columbia, they would be happy to see Queerbec succeed.

Emphasis on "queerbec"...

I think we know how Shitaway leans...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there an internet forums Grammy award for thread of the year? Of course this one might get disqualified for all the grown men picking on a 12 year old.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

What a dumb F*$&#er!

Todd , remember a few months back when I PM'd you asking why are you bothering to be nice to this twit? He'll just bite you in the backside..

Now you know why I asked!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

What a dumb F*$&#er!

Todd , remember a few months back when I PM'd you asking why are you bothering to be nice to this twit? He'll just bite you in the backside..

Now you know why I asked!

Was I being nice to him? In the last few months? Must of been off my meds that day!

faint

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Hmmm The meds would also explain your closet Blaser fetish too. wave

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
yuck

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You oughta see how he dresses up to fly an airplane!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best I can tell you, is Loctite 380 has to be heated to smoking to break it loose, most of the time. Which is usually hot enough to burn your fingers, which may be hot enough to loosen a soldered rib. May not hurt it right away, but it could result in its coming loose later on. The progression of Loctite is Blue 241, Red 271 and Black 380. 380 is for things you really don't want, to ever have to take apart again. Even 271 can be a pig to get apart again.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'd like to comment here but feel out of place due to the trash I collect, shoot, and hunt with. So, I will remain mum.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I'd like to comment here but feel out of place due to the trash I collect, shoot, and hunt with. So, I will remain mum.
Cal

Cal: your trash is my treasure.... Feel free to send it my way...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, did you start life with a Model 21 Daisy Double BB gun ? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

Cal: your trash is my treasure.... Feel free to send it my way...

If he mailed it to you it would probably just be a box of rust by the time it got there.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some experience shooting NE loads in different temperatures (from -30c to +30c). My 470NE loads velocity have dropped over 100fps at below -20. I have also seen big POI changes corresponding to velocity drop. Regulation has also been affected. I can not believe you are so impulsive as to "solve the problem" by filing down the front sight. Are you planning to have two front sights (or more) for different temperatures? You do know that your dremelled rifle will shoot high in africa using the same load you "tuned it to" in Canada.... Think!

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere I have an old Norma book showing velocity and pressure changes with change of temperature .For a 30-06 It's very interesting ! !

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norsk:
Think!

Norsk,

Asking shitzthisway to "Think" is about the same as asking a Blue Whale to walk to Arizona.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I as said on another thread of his (that I was dumb enough to read): He creates these threads for attention and His own entertainment, nothing more IMO.

If not, why would He create them?

Kind of an odd way to enjoy ones self.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
I believe at H&H to address these types of issues
they simply send the rifle for proofing, but request
that the process be conducted with 50% stronger
than normal PROOF loads. So maybe our new D/R
owner ought to send his rifle to the nearest recog-
nized proof house and include those same instructions.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote