THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 69

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
THAT BOOMY STILL HAS!!!!!

Probably stalking gophers somewhere in a SoCal field ...

Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Wow!
That is gorgeous!
Love the 18" barrel and big contrast between the wood. The wood is almost too pretty.
We will have to ship them back this week. tu2
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
This one will make an excellent companion with my Turkish 50---THAT BOOMY STILL HAS!!!!!

Michael

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy

Did You get to shoot???? Don't send unless you shoot all that ammo!

That SOB is fine, that maple 50! Damn! Shoots, and handles like a dream, set up exactly like the turk!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel on my .458 B&M is 19.5" long, from breech face to 11-degree recessed muzzle crown.
I like it!

The .458 B&M weighs 7-pounds-1-ounce, dry weight as shown, Tupperware stock is 1#15oz.
Barreled action with sights weighs 5#2oz.
Muzzle diameter is .715" at 19.5" length.
Trigger pull is 2.5 pounds, like a glass whisker breaking.
It was a Connecticut 270 WSM classic to start with.
Now has a PAC-Nor 1:10" twist.

The 300 WSM above for comparison is the new South Carolina model, with B&C Kevlar stock that weighs 2#0oz. with full bedding block.
Barreled action is 4#15oz.
Dry rifle weight is 6#15oz.
24" fluted barrel is only 0.595" at the muzzle.
Trigger pull is 4.5 pounds with "new & improved" trigger set at factory.

I need to polish out the seat for the moon bead, since it will not fold down all the way, must have got some Gunkote in there.
Beautiful black on my sights, worth waiting for. tu2

The .458 B&M feeds North Fork 450-grain softs and "Flat Point" solids with aplomb.
No worries. Three from the box and one in the chamber, COL 2.995" or shorter.

It is long throated to accommodate a 500-grain TSX seated to 3.530" loaded singly into the chamber.

I will see how accurate it can be in SSK Whisper mode at about 1100 fps MV with VLD bullets,
and 1:10" twist to spin the slow moving heavy bullets for accuracy,
as well as the fast 400-450-grain FNs for best penetration, etc.

Now I have a question:
Is a .458 B&M with 700-grainers at 1100 fps a "Whisper" or a "Fart?"
Silent but deadly. tu2

A 1-pound stock will make the dry weight of the .458 B&M rifle 6#2oz., just under 6.25 pounds.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
The .458 B&M weighs 7-pounds-1-ounce, dry weight as shown, Tupperware stock is 1#15oz.
Barreled action with sights weighs 5#2oz.
Muzzle diameter is .715" at 19.5" length.
Trigger pull is 2.5 pounds, like a glass whisker breaking.
It was a Connecticut 270 WSM classic to start with.
Now has a PAC-Nor 1:10" twist.

The 300 WSM above for comparison is the new South Carolina model, with B&C Kevlar stock that weighs 2#0oz. with full bedding block.
Barreled action is 4#15oz.
Dry rifle weight is 6#15oz.
24" fluted barrel is only 0.595" at the muzzle.
Trigger pull is 4.5 pounds with "new & improved" trigger set at factory.
Very nice Rip! tu2

Do you happen to know which barrel contour Brain used for the 458 B&M?

Edit Added: Forgot to mention, that’s a nice modification having the sling stud angled in the fore end tip…I like it!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
That SOB is fine, that maple 50! Damn! Shoots, and handles like a dream, set up exactly like the turk!
Michael it does look sweet tu2 but I think I still like the Turk stock better.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rip; that .458 looks sweeeeet!
That's exactly the way I would have it built. Really like the blued sight's contrast against the stainless metal. Perfect caliber and rifle.

tu2

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
Very nice Rip! tu2

Jim,
Thanks.
Brian and Michael use No.5 sporters that "bob-off" to about .750" to .760" muzzle diameter at 20" length.

My rifle is special. Cool
It was like pulling teeth to get Brian to agree to use a No.4 sporter with 1:10" twist.
This "bobs-off" of to about .710" (+/-) at the 20" length.
.715" diameter at 19.5" length for mine.

Now I am all set for .458 B&M Whisper mode or Whaling mode, varmints to elephants.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis,
Thanks.
Did I mention that the rifle balances on the front action screw as is?
It points like a pistol using one hand, and if grasped in right hand and hung down it is still several inches from dragging its muzzle on the ground.
I could get used to this if I am not careful.

To begin mental conditioning for the recoil of max loads, I meditate upon the 2-Bore in comparison, to put things in proper perspective.

Thanks to Macifej, Jay, of S&H, for making these available as a sports psychology meditation tool for all serious shooters:

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
Very nice Rip! tu2

Jim,
Thanks.
Brian and Michael use No.5 sporters that "bob-off" to about .750" to .760" muzzle diameter at 20" length.

My rifle is special. Cool
It was like pulling teeth to get Brian to agree to use a No.4 sporter with 1:10" twist.
This "bobs-off" of to about .710" (+/-) at the 20" length.
.715" diameter at 19.5" length for mine.

Now I am all set for .458 B&M Whisper mode or Whaling mode, varmints to elephants.
LOL…At least now you’ve broken the mold so it might not be as hard to get Brian to deviate from standard next time around.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
RIP

Wow, I was fast asleep when all this was posted! The Rifle looks good, I hate those stocks, but somehow you have managed to make it ok. I like the contrast sights/barrel. Most of my rears are black, and gunkote the front to match the stainless barrel. Black front is one of a kind. Barrel contour, one of a kind.

I have some spare Ultimate Stocks, black and camo, I can send one to you if you like??? If nothing else just to try out??? Pretty sure it will drop in place! Say the word? Unless my scale is off the Ultimate comes in at 1.75 lbs, with excellent recoil pad on the rear.

That damn gunkote is fantastic, but it gets everywhere too. I had some in the chamber of that 500 MDM. I am having a 458 done also with the gunkote, maybe maybe the next couple of weeks??

Honestly I am very very much looking forward to a steady stream of reports coming it on this one. This rifle can take things either as normal, or beyond limits. Yes, you will get used to it, and wonder why you would carry anything heavier, longer, and bulkier to the field! You may be spoiled after this? Ruint as they say around here?

Capo

Maple is nice, turk is nice, both feel great, I never thought I would cotton to a white stock, but after that first myrtle it sorta grew on me, maybe just because it's so different than anything I had in the past????

RIP

That contour is less than what we chose for the 9.3 and 375 B&Ms which comes in at .725 at the muzzle!!!!

Yes Agent J was so kind to send me a BIG BORE BULLET--when I think I might be shooting a big bore, I just take a look at that 2-Bore brass bullet and makes any of mine look like rat cartridges.

Extremely Excellent! Send you a stock if you want???????

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc M,
So I can maybe shave off 3 ounces by using an Ultimate stock?
That will make the dry weight of the rifle 6#-14oz!
That beats Will's "elephant wand" for sure, in lethality (on both ends) and lighter weight.Cool
Please sell me one of those ultimate stocks or remind me where to find one.
My .458 B&M has the 2-piece floorplate&triggerguard.
The SC-made 300 WSM has 1-piece.
PM sent.
I will get to loadin' today and shootin' tomorrow. tu2

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
RIP

I am going to weigh these stocks now, I think I have some of the ones currently on your rifle as take offs. 1/4 lb difference with the Ultimate at 1.75#s.

PM sent back on the stocks.

I found the NEW Ultimate stocks at CDNN--$69 for the Camo and $49 for the Black. They are the real deal for these guns. I bought several for myself, hoarding them just in case. Also CDNN has a little plastic insert that you can use for fitting a 1 piece stock to a two piece gun, it's $10 and it works perfectly! I have a few Ultimates on 2 piece guns with the insert.

If for some reason CDNN is out of stock with these let me know and I will have one headed to you on Monday, Camo or Black either one, with insert!

Anxiously awaiting "SHOOTING REPORTS" from the one and only light contour 1:10 458 B&M.

Extreme Excellence!

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son is in for the weekend to be best man at a wedding for a young man stationed in Japan for USAF.
Being a West Point Drop-Out and classmate of General McChrystal (Class of 1976), and subsequent USAF Flight Surgeon, and having grown up as an USAF BRAT, ("Give me Forty" (pushups)), I shall honor the occasion for sure. tu2

Chrono and accuracy data soon! tu2

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
RIP

Oh by all means. Understood completely! I have all ideas that much time will be spent fondling the new 458 anyway, do try and not wear it out before shooting! HEH. Chrono, data and everything can wait a bit longer, enjoy the weekend. Don't know about your side, but it ain't fit to walk outside here, VERY HOT, VERY HUMID. Not only that, but Momma has me cleaning carpets, moving dead animals, moving furniture and in general working me into a second heart attack this weekend.

Enjoy!

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc M,
What with all the wine, women, and song and dance at the wedding yesterday, it was a doozie
dancing

I was hung over and could not take the heat at the range, and angle of sun was all wrong for chronograph, by the time I was motivatin'!!! Wink

Will you settle for scope mounting today, and chrono this coming Saturday?

Having forgotten all about getting the scope base holes 8x40-ed while it was with Brian,
I settled for JB-Welding the Warne Maxima bases to the rifle with the standard 6x48 screws.
That'll do. tu2

Two scopes ready, 2.5X Ultralights from Leupold:

The scoped .458 B&M weighs 7#-15oz. as shown, with scope in QRW Low rings, standard duplex reticle.
Rifle length is 40.25" long.
The second 2.5X scope is in Medium QRW rings, and has a heavy "post and duplex" similar to German No.4 reticle.

The 500 Mbogo weighs 10#-14oz. as shown, and is 46.25" long.
Just for contrast.
Only one ounce shy of 3 pounds difference, and a full half-foot difference. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
RIP

Yes I will certainly settle for scope mounting and photos for today! I tell you, outside here is tough business, it was over 100 degrees here today, heat index of 120 degrees, not fit for man, nor demons from hell!

I used to 8x40 every damn rifle I had, I have not done so on any of the B&Ms and I have never had an issue? Not one issue, in many 1000s of rounds? I don't know, I guess on these you can get by, but I only use QRW Rings and bases and nothing else.

I have a 2.5 Ultralight on a 50 Super Short now, I like them for the size, but I am very spoiled with the field of view of the 1.5X5s and the 1X4s.

This damn rifle is shaping up very nicely! I don't care for the stock, but everything else is shaping up so damn good the stock don't even matter.

It's looking good!

Well done!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah - pretty much sucks here too. It's 65 degrees and the sun's still up.

Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifles. But then again, how can they not look good with them low power Leupolds. I really like the 2.5s on those guns.
beer

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
RIP

I am going to weigh these stocks now, I think I have some of the ones currently on your rifle as take offs. 1/4 lb difference with the Ultimate at 1.75#s.

I found the NEW Ultimate stocks at CDNN--$69 for the Camo and $49 for the Black. They are the real deal for these guns. I bought several for myself, hoarding them just in case. Also CDNN has a little plastic insert that you can use for fitting a 1 piece stock to a two piece gun, it's $10 and it works perfectly! I have a few Ultimates on 2 piece guns with the insert.

If for some reason CDNN is out of stock with these let me know and I will have one headed to you on Monday, Camo or Black either one, with insert!

Extreme Excellence!

Michael

You guys are so lucky.

We lefty shooters are discriminated against!

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Chopper

I have 3 more lefties that would give a "you know what" for one of the little Ultimate stocks too! Just not available! I agree, wish they had done some of those for you guys! I love them, they are amazing on the rifles! Cheap, but they hold up, I have yet to break, bend, or damage one, and not for lack of attempt! RIP needs one in the worst way on that new gun of his. If I don't hear very soon that he has one on the way I am going to send him one anyway, whether he likes it or not!!!!!!

By the way, you better take a break and get that rifle of yours running!!!!!!!!

Agent J

Oh what I would give to see 65 degrees, even at night would be nice. We are not even getting below 85 at night right now, humidity to match or higher!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Dang we’re in for a heat wave this week!! It’ll get up to 71º in the daytime and only get down 61º at night. Will have to run all the fans to cool things off!! Cool

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Capo and Agent J

Don't speak to me again until around October when I start to cool down in the hi 80s!

M

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Geez...not at all or only about the weather?

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Jim and J

Yeah, ok, you can talk to me, I was having a minor heat stroke a bit ago is all. I can tell you now, if it got down to 71 degrees here we would think we were freezing to death, have to drag out the Arctic Gear and turn the heat on to stay warm! That is if we ventured outside!

I tell you, one cannot step outside here the last few days, 101 degrees yesterday at 6 pm, heat index 115! Today we are getting a spot of rain, so it's only in the 90s. Cool weather!

RIP

Might steal a couple of your photos for the website later on when I get a chance.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep! Terrible here. Bustin' down the 52 at 95mph ... sunny and 70 degrees no wind 10 miles inland ... terrible I tell ya just terrible ...

rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
Yep! Terrible here. Bustin' down the 52 at 95mph ... sunny and 70 degrees no wind 10 miles inland ... terrible I tell ya just terrible ...

rotflmo

I take it back, I might not talk to you till it cools down, especially with you rubbing it in so!

Mad HEAT STROKE

Of course, this sorts everything out! beer

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reason I live out here Dr. M .... I grew up in your neck-o-the woods.

Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Michel
You are part of the inspiration on another thread we were talking about a 2.25" or 57mm or B&M length win mag case to get up to 400 grain bullets to 2,150 with an estimated 78 ish grain capacity for 410 bullets. With 458 bullets it could be sweet too for non DG. Kind of like a more powerful 458 American. 400@ 2150 and 500@ maybe 1800.
Your carts have proved that 2.25" is a great length for the Winchester WSM platform.
What

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc M,
Sure, use any of my photos to brag on Brian at SSK.
I have an ultimate stock with floorplate spacer on the way.
They had black leftover, camo out of stock.
I wanted black anyway.
I feel fortunate to have temps to only 98F and heat index of only 105,
after learning of your suffering ... flame
Later,
Letter Rip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep yep yep ... more terribleness here this evening. 61 degrees here at the sky cave on the way to 59 for this evening's low. Boout ready for my evening run ... gonna have the usual 7 knot offshore breeze ... phwew .... toasty .... I might sweat a little tonight!

jumping

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Damn! I was all excited to shoot the rest of the ammo and got my ass thrown off the range by the range master. Long story. Part of it had to do with me needing to educate him on wild cat big bores and him not liking that. He asked me what caliber I was shooting. I said "450" and he was telling me that "Magnums" needed the special lanes away from others due to noise (More ignorance from the range master). I was afraid to tell him I was shooting the 500's too lol. He was trying to educate me on the "big" recoil of the 375 "Holland and Holland" in his almost holy sacred voice and how it was like a 45-70 on steroids. My smirk must have pissed him off.
Anyhoo I'll try again soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Boomstick what range are you on down there?
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let us know which Hillbilly range that was so we can avoid them ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Well the final straw was someone told me I can bring my nephew who is 5 but the law was I was informed when I got there was the legal age start at 6.
The range was in Northers Cal. Sunnyvale rod and gun club. I will go again but try to limit my interaction with that range master and just realize that big bores are just unfamiliar territory for most. I don't like to make enemies but the guy wanted to be seen as a no nonsense guy but I was not belligerent but frustrated to take a half day off then to leave without shooting. I tried to tell him that these guns don't make more noise than the average gun. Big bore does not mean big noise. They might be "Magnums" but not as loud as one of the medium bores that was there.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Michel
You are part of the inspiration on another thread we were talking about a 2.25" or 57mm or B&M length win mag case to get up to 400 grain bullets to 2,150 with an estimated 78 ish grain capacity for 410 bullets. With 458 bullets it could be sweet too for non DG. Kind of like a more powerful 458 American. 400@ 2150 and 500@ maybe 1800.
Your carts have proved that 2.25" is a great length for the Winchester WSM platform.
What

Guide me to the thread?

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy

Causing trouble on the range? Gun Shop experts, I see they are the same where you are as they are here in SC. One of my good friends has been in the retail gun business for all his life. I used to hang out around the gun shop with him quite a bit. Well, of course the experts that worked for him knew me, so I didn't have to listen to any crap from them, but there was no shortage of "walk in experts" on a daily basis. Most of the time I would just sit and listen to the ignorance, and an occasional chuckle would escape. I don't have time for that these days.

Maybe we all move up to DWrights place, he works there in a big gun shop, but he is an honest to god real expert! And of course when he wants to know something he calls me! rotflmo Nah, just messing with you.

RIP

Need new photos when the New Ultimate gets in! I think you will be very very pleased with that little stock!
I am sorta on a hillbilly camo kick right now with the Ultimates. Can't say why, never liked camo rifles before?
HEH.........

Michael

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It is the 416 2" thread in Wildcats. There might be a few ways to skin his cat but a 2.25" Win Mag case should be able to duplicate the 405 Win capacity to keep the same performance of a 405 win but in the 2.8" limitations of his magazine and the same lower pressure fir his old gun but in a Winchester short action it could duplicate the 400 Whelen or 450/400.
Chambering a short action in 458 Win Mag you could shoot the 2.25" case with 458 win mag bullets or the 2.5" case with 45-70 bullets or even a 2.4" case with 458 Socom bullets. Lots of versatility!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis' "DWright" computer went to where ever old computers go when they die. He's holding a wake and won't be posting for a while.

Do what ever it takes to carry on without him, as best you can. Roll Eyes

"Isn't it pretty to think so."

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D B Cooper:
Dennis' "DWright" computer went to where ever old computers go when they die. He's holding a wake and won't be posting for a while.

Do what ever it takes to carry on without him, as best you can. Roll Eyes
Tell Dennis to diggin that sucker, get over CRYBABY 'bout it and get a new one!

Jim coffee
John Wayne