New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 Ga From Hell -WOW Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Jeffe/RIP- Gotta say that I never heard anything bad about the Zabalas being too soft. Been corresponding with a guy in England whos built doubles on them and he has had no hardness issues. BTW I think I can fit barrels 1.16 at the breech to 1.1 inch at the muzzel on the Zabala action. Plan to keep it to same power levels as the NEF though. At those levels I think soft steel would work just fine. No plans to hotrod a double rifle of any sort.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe is that the modern 213M Zabala? I only ask as the consensus is 60's/70's era spanish guns were a lot softer in general,and Zabala does have these older guns still floating around. In fact the Zabala Libar was noted for being wrecked by steel shot when it first came into use.

The new magnum with its 1200bar rating for steel shot use etc, I thought should be a tougher deal.

Karl.

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
The Zabala I have is a G-1032 model, 10ga, 3.5 inch . Jeffe are you refering to the action or the barrels?-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mercury isn't a 213 model.But is of good steel
and with our brass cases, and a minimum chamber so
the cases take up their share of the thrust like
big bore rifles do, you can run 20-22k loads.
A 12k load in a plastic case will have 5200 lbs
thrust where the plastic takes up very little of the
thrusr.A 22k load in our case about 7500 lbs thrust
as our case takes up a third of the thrust.
So it isn't a huge difference or like 2-3 times
as much. Just a little increase which that action
will handle fine. It has a Greener crossbolt
that is built well and works fine. I fired a couple
of magnum 10ga slugs in one and they extracted
easy, fell out of chamber.

Zabala built guns with and without Greener crossbolts.
The E213 Magnum in the pic on their site "doesn't"
have a crossbolt. It is a double lump locking action
that is alloy and treated. Same with barrel.I think
the Zabalas and other big Spanish ten gauges with crossbolts
are about as strong as the 213 without crossbolts.
If you run 12GA FH at 22k it is same as same type of gun
and metallurgy, firing a 577NE at 36-40K.And many 577NEs/600NEs
are shooting fine after years of use....Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry my mistake, thought you had the same one I did Ed.

Karl

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

... I think I can fit barrels 1.16 at the breech to 1.1 inch at the muzzel on the Zabala action. Plan to keep it to same power levels as the NEF though. At those levels I think soft steel would work just fine. No plans to hotrod a double rifle of any sort.-Rob

Rob,

Excellent! Some preliminary specs shaping up! clap

The Zabala 10Ga I bought in 1985 had no Greener crossbolt. It had 32" barrels and weighed 12 pounds. I cut 8 inches off the barrels and installed rifle sights on the rib. It weighed 10.5 pounds with 24" barrels.
As big as it was, it looked a bit stubby then, but balanced well.
I played at shooting 3.5" Federal Foster slugs with it. Seems it would do 4-inch 4-shot groups at 25 yards, which was surprisingly good for a mere whack job.
I also shot doves with it. It swung well. Big Grin

It seemed to be as hard as nails in action and barrels.

I still have that cut-off length of twin muzzles and will have to dig it out of a box to use as a paper weight on my plans for a 12GaFH double.

Lead the way Rob! thumb

I will try to do better than merely duct taping 2 NEF-ers together.

I imagine you will need to add some lead or mercury to the butt to balance those heavy barrels, similar in profile to the NEF-er barrels, especially if you are making them any longer than 24".
Some extra weight beyond 10.5 pounds would be a good thing.

What length of barrels are you leaning toward for the 12GaFH double?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
RIP-I'm planning on 24 inche barrels and My Zabala does have a greener style crossbolt. Talked to Butch Searcy today and got my plans"validated" by the master himself. He has kindly offered to harden the action for me once I've stripped it. Butch agrees I'll be OK to 26Kpsi and maybe a little more.BTW your reloading ring went out this am. If you want a few more of them let me know. They are a PIA but really solve the reloading problem.-Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,
Thanks for the priming aid.
I have two barrels (from Ed) that match internally, and plenty long enough and fat enough to be turned down to a matching set for a DR. 24" still sounds perfect to me, should be lively.

I sure like the idea of the Greener crossbolt and heat treatment by Butch Searcy.
Maybe he could do one for me someday.
A 12GaFH DR by Searcy would beat a 700 NE, in all ways, probably including price too. thumb

I wonder if he could produce a solid but plain "Bubba Jane" version 12gaFH DR? hilbily

Then I will need an extra set of smoothbore barrels with screw-in chokes (threaded for invector tubes including gain-twist-rifled Paradox-style), and a third set with one rifled and one smoothbore, cape-gun-style.

Maybe the weights in the butt could be removable mercury tubes, to balance a lighter set of smoothbores for sand grouse shooting when relaxing after the elephant hunt? Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is picture Stevens Revelation 350 16ga
now a 16GA FH. It got a 385 gr to 2000,
which is good for gun without a real heavy
barrel. I lengthened chamber for the
3.5" brass cases pictured that I made from
BMG brass. Anyone doing this can have cases
made by RMC. Gun is weighted to 11 lbs. Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
ED- A pre-expanded 450/400 for a couple of hundred dollars. -Rob

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Way cool Ed!!!!!!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Did some carefull bore measurements today. Looks like the NEF needs .7305-.731 bullets. Also threaded and sized some of ED's cases. They are dimensionally a little different than the .50BMG cases I usually fireform to 12GaFH. Primer pockets need uniforming and chamfering. Got them to work nicely though. RIP your gonna need the cheater bar on the 5C collet closer. -Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,
Thanks for making yourself useful again. beer
Looks like I may not need the .730" Lee Precision custom slug sizer, due to be delivered soon.
But when I get a tighter pair of barrels working, it may come in handy.
So I really do need to cast the Triple Foster Darwins in Linotype to get them up to .732" at least.
Hey, the "75-caliber" Brown Bess balls are .735" and weigh about 545 grains, IIRC.
That is a Single Foster for high velocity testing, but two of them could be loaded in 12GaFH 3.85" or the 3.5" hulls, for a Double Foster load.

The MEC 20 gauge Super Sizer comes with a long handle, and will outdo the 5C collet, for ease of squeezing the 12GaFH 3.85" case mouths.

I hope to prime the cases and fireform this weekend if the "Loading Ring" arrives.
I will feel like "Lord of the Ring" when I get that thing.

I might be able to use those Brown Bess balls as a bore plug for fireforming. That will get pressures up enough to blow out the case. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob -I noticed they are slightly longer than the 12GA FH
case when it's done. Did your sizing die bring them
down tight enough to hold a slug in tight? Did you have
to make a new collet/holder to hold cases to turn and
thread for rims? I sized one here and different slugs
I have fit tight.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Ed/RIP- My sizer worked fine for .7305 bullets but didnt have quite enough neck tension for the .729 bullets. The case walls must be just a little thinner than std .50BMG. or they have more spring back.Cant tell! They needed a little massaging with the 5c collet. Not much just a little. I use a 6 jaw to hold the cases for turning and threading and that worked just fine although I did notice that things ran about .001 larger than before.
RIP- When you seat the .50BMG primers, go slowly and stop if you feel any hard resistance. They should seat smoothly!If you feel too much resistance stop as somethings wrong. You want the primer to be armed(i.e flattened) and no more than .002 below the case head. I adjust the rims till the round in the NEF will just close solidly. Then blue locktight the Rims in place if you want to. I usually dont bother though. They fire perfectly like this! Ed- your cases need the primer pocket sized and chamfered or the primers wont seat easily. No big deal just be aware of it.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hubel458:
Here is picture Stevens Revelation 350 16ga
now a 16GA FH. It got a 385 gr to 2000,
which is good for gun without a real heavy
barrel. I lengthened chamber for the
3.5" brass cases pictured that I made from
BMG brass. Anyone doing this can have cases
made by RMC. Gun is weighted to 11 lbs. Ed

Ed... What is the barrel ID?
maybe some scaled down aluminium death hammers or macifej's tripple 6 bullets would be fun.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bore is .662" and I get 385gr slugs
24 for 15 bucks. I really don't want to
fire anything heavier in that barrel,as
its od at muzzle is .825". For heavy loads
it should be about an inch, or scaled like a
heavy barrel NEF 12ga Ultra.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Took the NEF to the range today and entertained the crowd. Hit some granite rocks at 25yrds or so with a 1085gr brass slug over 220gr of H50BMG. Blew the rock to pieces accompanied by a very gratifying big boom. Ed-Used one of your cases. Welcomed many "HOLY SHITs" from the crowd! Let one guy shoot a round and it wacked him pretty hard. Lotsa more "Holy Shits". I had a good time! This thing is plain fun!-Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,
Can't wait to try that load, will chronograph your Brass Darwin.
The Ring is still eagerly awaited.
Did kill Bambi with a muzzleloader today.
Have successfully culled a whitetail family unit this year:
Poppa Buck, Momma Doe, and Son Bambi.
Ate Momma Doe for lunch today.
Been munching on Poppa for a month:
Jerky and spicey summer sausage. Yummy.
Just doing the humane thing.
Bambi should be succulent.
Just need a recipe with fava beans from Macifej. Wink
I'll try to do some culling with the 12GaFH soon. thumb

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
RIP- Better find a big Bambi and shoot back pretty far. Looks to me like there wont be much left otherwise. Shock and Awe effect seems pretty strong. Should be no problem shooting without a break, but you will definately notice it went bang! The loading ring should show up soon and I cant wait to see your CHRONO results. I'll be able to get to mine in a week or so. So far I've been extremely pleased. Just got the book on building double rifles from shotguns. Now I have to be patient and wait till the barrels arrive.-Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just need a recipe with fava beans from Macifej.

I dunno....didn't the Fava Beans come with Kidney's...?? Yuck..!! That Bambi Roast should be quite nice though... thumb

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
So here is a question? How many of you guys want 12GaFh loading dies? Probably only need a two die set. Sizer/ deprimer and Seater. I am thinking of making dies for a RCBS ammomaster. I would like to make a run in the very near future.-Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,
I just ordered the same book from Brownells. I like ordering through them. It was listed in the "New Products Catalog" #61-1, a flyer with the big catalog.

Would love to have some 12GaFH loading dies, with 1.5"-12tpi threads, for the AmmoMaster.
I could even tap out the hole on the Lee Classic Cast press from 1.25"-12tpi.
That is an $80 press that handles the Lee 50BMG dies with 1.25"-12tpi threads.

The 12GaFH deserves the 1.5"-12tpi threads like on the RCBS 50BMG dies.
2-die set would be fine. Sign me up. thumb

One of Us
Picture of Gibs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
So here is a question? How many of you guys want 12GaFh loading dies? Probably only need a two die set. Sizer/ deprimer and Seater. I am thinking of making dies for a RCBS ammomaster. I would like to make a run in the very near future.-Rob

Puts Hand up for Reloading dies! If Dies are for crimping Brass with either Solid and sabot rounds. I was going to get this 12G Die from RCBS but am not to sure if it will do all that I need. I would like to use the RMC brass with standard 12G primers, it will be a shit load easier to do here than trying to explain why I need bits for .50Cal!!!

Posts: 110 | Location: Australia | Registered: 29 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Rob,
I just ordered the same book from Brownells. I like ordering through them. It was listed in the "New Products Catalog" #61-1, a flyer with the big catalog.

Would love to have some 12GaFH loading dies, with 1.5"-12tpi threads, for the AmmoMaster.
I could even tap out the hole on the Lee Classic Cast press from 1.25"-12tpi.
That is an $80 press that handles the Lee 50BMG dies with 1.25"-12tpi threads.

The 12GaFH deserves the 1.5"-12tpi threads like on the RCBS 50BMG dies.
2-die set would be fine. Sign me up. thumb

If you're gonna go to the trouble to thread the top hole of something make it 2"-12 so you can load some REALLY big stuff. I have some 2"-12 x 1.5"-12 bushings coming. You can then use the Lock & load adapters and save yourself a lot of time when switching around dies....

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rob, Ron
read that book NOT as a how to, but rather a "how it can be done, but not in any sensible order of operations, with poor editing, horrible head/spindle bearings, and a good concept of fitting an AD action"

you'll both have 50 improvements before chapter 3 .. its like pulp fiction.. oprobbly much better if reviewed in sequencial order

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
What would I need 2" diameter dies for?

Jeffe,
We have waited for the second edition of said book, now available:

BUILDING DOUBLE RIFLES ON SHOTGUN ACTIONS
2nd Edition

W. Ellis Brown
206 pages
8.5" x 11"
Hardcover
Over 250 photographs and illustrations ...
Brownells inventory # 100-003-755BE
Retail: $54.95
FFL-friendly price: $44.95

Surely it has been cleaned up some for the second edition. There is nothing else out there as good, in the form of a book.
Sure can't get anything useful out of reading Alexander Gray!
Anyway, I am reading it for general entertainment purposes. Lots of pictures!
I like pictures. thumb

Rob, Ed, Jeffe, Mac, and any big bore nuts with mercury experience:

I just discovered that my NEF-er has a 7/8" diameter x ~7.75" cylindrical bar of steel in the butt. It weighs 21 ounces and was installed at the factory.

C&H Mercury Recoil Suppressor # 100784 is 7/8" diameter, 4" long, and weighs 11 ounces, this being one of the various sizes of "Stock Models." Each has a shallow 1/4"-28tpi threaded hole in one end of the otherwise solid cylinder.
Two of them can be screwed tightly together, end-to-end, using a 1/2" length of 1/4"-28tpi bolt, to make an 8" x 7/8" x 22-ounce cylinder.
I have done this.
It fits the NEF-er's butthole (mercury suppository) animal
better than the steel bar does.

It is only one ounce heavier than the steel bar, but it has mercury sloshing around inside of it.

Do you think the mercury is worthwhile for any noticeable recoil reduction over the standard factory stock weight?

one of us
posted Hide Post
What I do for NEF is put 2 more holes in butt
amd fill with iron bars or lead slugs.
With lead I get 4-5 lbs in butt and a lb
in forearm. That is why you see the recoil
ring on my single shot forearms, to keep
them from moving and breaking screws.
My dies fit my 1.5" ammomaster top
as well as my Lee classic I redid to 1.5".
There isn't enough thickness in the Lee top to
go to 2". I also made a 2" top for my ammomaster for 4bore dies.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you think the mercury is worthwhile for any noticeable recoil reduction over the standard factory stock weight?

A Wolfram rod .875" x 8" weighs 1500 grams or 53 oz...no sloshing required...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
What a wild idea! Big Grin
1"x12" rod of unpolished tungsten only costs $799.00.
19.3 g/cc

Lead is only 11.3 g/cc, butt is more cost effective. Big Grin

I might be able to make my own mould for a 7/8" x 8" lead cylinder to go in the existing butthole.
This will be easily removable compared to epoxy and shot, for broken stock replacement!

Of course, the extra buttholes, as Ed suggests,
could be filled with lead rods glued in, without affecting stock removal. thumb

I wood rather not add weight to the forearm, butt rather to the barrel: screw on muzzle weight/brake.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gibs,
The RCBS Cowboy dies are only good for the paper-thin 2.5" Magtech 12-gauge brass hulls.
The die bodies are made of aluminum!
It does come with a 12-gauge shell holder, however.
I have found everything but the shell holder to be useless, in that kit.
Even the shell holder looks flimsy, but it is made of steel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think someone is trying to give ot to you in the butt butt-hole...I'll see what I can find that doesn't involve bending over. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pure tungsten disks - mixed sizes from 0.150 to 0.470 diameter. Clean and polished. Free flowing. Excellent for weighting and ballasting applications. Well below market price. Further discounts for 25# or more.

$36.00 per lb...

One of Us
Picture of Gibs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Gibs,
The RCBS Cowboy dies are only good for the paper-thin 2.5" Magtech 12-gauge brass hulls.
The die bodies are made of aluminum!
It does come with a 12-gauge shell holder, however.
I have found everything but the shell holder to be useless, in that kit.
Even the shell holder looks flimsy, but it is made of steel.

Yeah I had a feeling that be the case, at least I'd get a shell holder. Which I'd need anyway even with Rob's Dies. If Robs dies can do the RMC brass (and I cant see why they wouldn't) I'm set. I think ! lol

Posts: 110 | Location: Australia | Registered: 29 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:

I think someone is trying to give ot to you in the butt butt-hole...I'll see what I can find that doesn't involve bending over. Big Grin

To paraphrase the exasperated tone of RR: There you gay again!

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
RIP- To be honest, in the NEF, the recoil with the muzzel break is really no worse than a Lott. To be generous I hope my break reduces recoil by 25% nso even un-braked it will be no worse than a .460WBY. I think you will run into the NEF's pressure limit well before the recoil limit sets in. I really would not bother to add more weight other than as ED did if you feel the need add a new hole in the buttstock and add some lead. I have used Mercury recoil reducers in past projects and frankly they did seem better than just added weight but not enough to justify their cost.-Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,
I have no fear of your Double Foster Brass Darwin with 220 grains of H50BMG.
I am just thinking ahead to when I get the Triple Foster Lead Darwin stoked with the same powder charge ... just waiting for that "loading ring" so I can fireform some of your brass.
Hence the fiddling with the NEF-er butt, out of boredom.
I call her "Sweet Heifer the NEF-er."
So ugly, she's cute.

Everything else is boring compared to the 12GaFH. thumb

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
1400 grs should be no problem. You'll be surprised. I shot a 2000gr Borerider from my high pressure 12GaFH and expected the worse and it surprised me by how manageable it was. These really large bore guns are so unlike what we have become a customed too.-Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some more interesting new deals-
There is a new heavy barreled rifled slug gun out,
the Rossi Model S12 1230S. It will handle our heavier
loads like the NEF. And it can have chamber lengthened
for 3.5" plastic and RMC brass 12ga cases. Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Not a bad price at roughly 186 bucks...if you can find one. Outside looks like an NEF clone but lots of differences on the inside and fore arm mount.

How are the ergonomics, fit and finish compared to the NEF...any one know???