Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 Ga From Hell -WOW Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I could find the 338-378 WM cartridge, with a 200 grain bullet, has a muzzle velocity of 3380 f/s and is the fastest factory cartridge with a 200 grain bullet.
Could anyone with a rifle so chambered verify this velocity at 1.5 m (5-6 feet) from muzzle?
We are experimenting with a 200 grain, 12 gauge slug and achieved 3000 f/s using 3" hulls from a 24" barrel. Maybe in a 3.5" hull...

Lefteris
www.europeancartridgeunlimited.com

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Ed, how fast could you get a 12GFH short in an 1887 with slugs? Say around 1,000 grains?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I think I need a Bailey Bradshaw 12 gauge single shot to get all the potential from this some day.

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
Tried not to be lazy...

Used search function in big bore theads since 1-1-11 through today....

Earlier in this thread Rob, Lefteris, and others were discussing Benelli Supernova as a candidate for lowerpressure 12GAFH testing....due to rotary bolt with locking lugs....

I have two Winchester 1300s....one has rifled slug barrel...set up and rated for 3"mag....first deer gun as a kid....still have a few of the 600 grain Brenekke that I used....

If Benelli is a candiate for having a rotary bolt how would 1300 measure up....?

Only issue I can think of (other than 1300 not being set up to feed/funtion 3.5") is that the 1300 bolt was designed to unlock relatively quickly after firing....would actually partially extract some 3" mags through inertia....not sure how Benelli operates....

Just tossing this out there to see what every one thinks...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hubel458:
The Brenekees. Were they factory loads and how fast loaded.

They were factory rounds...

Didn't start handloading till my early twenties...

3" gold magnums....have to look at what box had as adertised velocity....didn't have chrono then....they were the heaviest slugs available at that time...that's all that mattered to me back then... Cool

I imagine close to Black Magic factory loads...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
New inspiration BOOM

http://m.neatorama.com/2011/04/15/punt-guns/

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Ed- You have a PM. -Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't read all 79 pages, but have you messed around with any large shot payloads in these big bores?

Posts: 63 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Ed, you can get the Jamison 577 3" for $65 from Kebco.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
How strong do you think those brass hulls are? Good for 25k psi?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That is pretty interesting. The cases are a buck a piece from what I can see. Maybe a good excuse to do some more exotic stuff like have a high velocity round ball load with the right powders or something wild on a contender platform necked down.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Ed...
Have you or anyone tried a straight Gibbs case to .615" aka 20 gauge? Would have 5 thou no taper like a true shotgun shell but tons of fun I bet. A kind of 20-28 gauge rimless. Extractor headspace. 600 Nitro power or 20 gauge power. Call it the 61505 Gibbs Smiler

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I noticed the neck thickness was thinner on the Gibbs case but I guess not thin enough and the actual case head not wide enough. Close but no cigar.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Ed and the gang... Had some questions regarding the Greener Police Shotgun and the 12 GFH. http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles...police%20shotgun.htm Seems it is a strong Martini action and capable of stout loads. Could this be a good platform for 12GFH conversion? Also how difficult would it be to make this shouldered necked down case from BMG brass? Could be quite lively if necked to .700" bullets.

Picture of hcpookie
posted Hide Post
A question about getting my NEF barrel reamed. I just recently moved so I'm unpacking all the junk in my garage Smiler Looking to get my barrel reamed.

Does anyone have a reamer to loan/rent, or a referral to someone to ream my barrel? I spoke w. Manson Reamers and they quoted me a price for a new reamer, but since I would only use it once I'd like to avoid buying the reamer if possible...

Also is any of the lathe-turned brass still available? I have some .50 BMG I can turn once I get my lathe unpacked and set up in my new house later this year, but right now it is easier for me to buy.

=================
My Gun Projects Home - including the Pink and Blue AK-74:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129

Posts: 18 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 14 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of hcpookie
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed! You say "3.5" however I thought the max size was 3.85" ??????????????

Also - called RMC. They are under new management (as of 2 years ago he said). They aren't familiar with the case and couldn't find any case drawings. SO... what could we do to get the new team up to speed? I just want some w/ the headstamp Smiler

I'm in the middle of a project at work so I'll ping you once I'm done here.

=================

Posts: 18 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 14 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of hcpookie
posted Hide Post
LOL well I have already made some cases from BMG, but I want to have some "real deal" cases w/ head stamps Smiler

I guess I'm a bit late to the game... looks like I'm going to be ordering myself a reamer!

=================

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I make screw on rims for .50 BMG cases that are engraved with 12ga head stamps so that there are no issues. They are not cheap.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
Rob, let me know when you are ready per our phone conversation. thanks kenny g

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi, sorry for the newb questions. I am wanting to do the 20ga/600 poor man's. But I am seeing only the 12ga listed with the SB2 frame. I am *assuming* this is the frame I need to have versus the SB1 that comes on the 20ga models.

And on top of this, I am seeing a SB2-10 that is a 10ga frame bored to 12.

Do I just need to buy a rifle/shotgun with the SB2 frame and have H&R put on a 20ga barrel? Or should I have an aftermarket alloy barrel installed? I want to basically do this for around $1000. I know I may go a little over and this is just for the gun, nothing else.

Thanks. I did try to read through the thread but there is just so much information as well H&R dropped the NEF line so I had a hard time matching products with the new model names/numbers.

Posts: 11 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: 03 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Rob, have you tried a fast twist, say 1 in 8.5" with high BC solids for target and subsonic? I can see a fun target single shot being quite the hoot. 1,000 yard 12 gauge?

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I have made some 2000gr bore riders that should buck the wind great at 1000rds. I have a 1/10 twist cut rifling barrel thst works pretty well assuming you can stand the recoil which is pretty stout off of a bipod.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Have you tried subsonic loads and target shooting yet? I think that combo could be quite interesting. Talk about wind buckers lol. Could be the best subsonic cart ever.

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I have not tried it subsonic but it should work fine through my Salvo 12. Would need a tread adapter but given how well subsonic 12ga works through the Salvo 12 I would imagine it would be amazingly quiet.
Probably a better host would be a NEF monoblocked 1/10 14 inch twist short barrel for subsonic work.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Seems like a worthy project. have to add that to my project list once the kids are out of school.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Rob and the glorious peanut galley... I asked this on Ed's thread but I think it belongs here as well. How about machining off the rim of the BMG case and adding on a rim, belt and extractor groove? Like the 12gfh but screwing on a belted base instead of a rim? You could make the case head in front of the belt be smaller than the BMG case or make the belt and rim larger and leave the base as is. The latter way you can make a bolt action 12 GFH but would need a DD exception obviously to make it a sporting round. Bolt trash 12GFH? 700 Overkill?

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I developed both a .600 RLG and a .700 RLG both with full sized .50 BMG rimless brass, but your right they were TEchnically DDs. Both were pretty cool cartridges developing the same power as the 12gaFH.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Do you think there would be interest in making a belted 12 gauge for bolt actions?

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I want to see at .50BMG or 12.7x108 with a rim added, then blown out straight for a monster black powder round fired from a monster falling block.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote