Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, Alf, thanks for helping us closer to page 40.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Hi bc elliott,

Welcome to the forum.
With your help we can get this thread to page 304 and beyond. tu2
quote:
Originally posted by bcelliott:
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum, although I've read and learned a lot over the past couple of years. I've followed this thread from the first, and have been gratified to see Bob Mitchell's work with this caliber acknowledged here. He and I have corresponded about heavy loads in 9.3x62 and wildcat ideas, among others, and he was instrumental in my first .458 Win Mag rifle purchase.

Bob has done some excellent work. Do you have a copy of his reloading manual on the .458 Win. Mag.? We need a second edition!

Unfortunately, I don't have his manual, and I don't believe he has released a second edition. I have his blog data, personal emails, and Quickload only at this point. And this thread!

I recently bought a New Haven Super Express 22" M70 controlled feed, and am wanting a bit more out of it. I have a couple of questions...

First, can any of you suggest a good smith to open the box to 3.6", modify the extractor, and reinforce the stock? I'd like the flexibility in COL for experimenting with monometallic bullets.

All that is very basic work. I have done it myself as a bubba, with faultless results.
I did it to convert a 400 Whelen 3.4" to 400 Whelen 3.6" on an M70.
Any local gunsmith will consider it bread and butter.
Maybe someone in your neighborhood will chime in.

I'm a bit apprehensive of the gunsmiths around here (upstate SC), having had a couple of results that were not quite up to even bubba standards. But I'm willing to try again or travel a bit to a good one if need be. And I could try a bit of the work myself if I have to.

You mean "ejector/bolt stop" not "extractor" above.
The Winchester M70 CRF extractor is fine.
The ejector merely needs to be ground, filed and polished to shorten it enough to allow the bolt to travel rearward about 0.2" more
and to eject the longer round at the end of that travel.
The exterior of the action (ejection port) needs no work, it is big enough to eject a loaded 3.6" COL.
Your current magazine box merely needs the block at the back of it removed. Just drill out the 4 spot welds and pop out the blocker.
Cross bolts and glass bedding are also bread and butter for any gun doctor worth his salt.
See one, do one, teach one, just like medical practice.
The Winchester M70 post-'64 actions are the easiest of all I can think of to change from 3.4" box to 3.6" box length.
They are blocked off .375 H&H-length actions.
The Pre-'64 M70's are .30-06-length actions that were opened up expertly at the factory if chambered for the .375 H&H length cartridges.
A much bigger chore. [/color]

Thank you for this info.

Second, and only out of curiosity (Bob convinced me not to rechamber this rifle to Lott, Ruger, or AccRel), if a hunter had a .458 Ruger, in a pinch and out of ammo, could he throw in a Win Mag cartridge and safely fire and eject the case? I understand that it's not close to optimal, since velocity would suffer, the case would be expanded beyond salvage, and headspace would be entirely on the extractor, since case length of the Win Mag is shorter and there is no shoulder and no belt support in the chamber.

I would never do that. Too much possibility for a case rupture.

Thanks for your help and for all the informative posts here.

The Four Five Eight Fraternity welcomes you.
tu2
Rip ...

I appreciate the welcome...it's good to be here. Consider this my contribution to extending this thread.

Posts: 118 | Location: SC | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Below are excerpts for a "book review" of RIFLE magazine.

Book review: It is a good book.
tu2
Rip ...

I was fortunate to have inherited that rifle. It was built by Bill Atkinson, who was basically Bill Ruger's go to gunsmith in the Prescott area. It was a simple conversion and no doubt an exploratory look at whether or not to produce them. But the introduction of the 375 Ruger made it even simpler.
The rifle however is still a camp favorite, now wears one of Bill Ruger's favorite stocks, the infamous "canoe paddle" stock and has even earned the nickname "Pointer" , as pretty much everything it gets pointed at dies !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
But back to the subject of the 458.

While I wrote a rebuttal to Ross's infamous diatribe on the 458, the editor refused to run it as he claimed that Ross's piece had generated the most hate mail in the history of magazines and that he was (wisely I might add) not interested in starting a range war.

But in the piece I quoted a section from page 333 of John Kingsley Heath's book " Hunting the Dangeous Game of Africa"
"as far as elephant hunting was considered, the 458 Winchester magnum Model 70 pre-1964 rifle was the best thing to come on the market since sliced peaches in the proverbial lunch box. I enjoyed tremendous success with the rifle hunting all species of big game for many years. I would rate the 458 Winchester Magnum Model 70 pre-1964 as one of the greatest developments in hunting rifles in recent times "

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
I don't believe anyone is challenging the 458's success as a DG hunting arm.

The History speaks for itself , it was after the demise of the old Kynoch and the English hold over the African DG gun scene the go to caliber for that genre of hunting ! No doubt about it ! undisputed !

The Brno ZKK 602 in 458 arguably the most encountered gun in the field. Game departments armed their employees with these and those fortunate enough to have access to DG hunting often did the same !

The bad rap came because of the practice of hoarding ammo because of mainly lack of access due to sanctions. Few incidents gave rise to a misplaced urban legend of failure .... of elephant running around with bullets sticking out of their heads etc etc. Anyone who lived will attest to that endless stories bandied around by Saturday morning gunshop tyre kickers!

But we must not forget, that reputation was built on the 500 gr Solid and 510 gr soft !

Not on lesser weight bullets and more than likely because there were no quality lesser weight bullets available. Everything in the 300, 350 and 400 gr gr range was made for cartridges like the 45-70 !

Lighter weight mono’s are superior to the 500 grain cup and core soft’s and solids.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
But back to the subject of the 458.

While I wrote a rebuttal to Ross's infamous diatribe on the 458, the editor refused to run it as he claimed that Ross's piece had generated the most hate mail in the history of magazines and that he was (wisely I might add) not interested in starting a range war.

But in the piece I quoted a section from page 333 of John Kingsley Heath's book " Hunting the Dangeous Game of Africa"
"as far as elephant hunting was considered, the 458 Winchester magnum Model 70 pre-1964 rifle was the best thing to come on the market since sliced peaches in the proverbial lunch box. I enjoyed tremendous success with the rifle hunting all species of big game for many years. I would rate the 458 Winchester Magnum Model 70 pre-1964 as one of the greatest developments in hunting rifles in recent times "

I remember that article. Made me so mad I couldn't think straight. Swore off reading Ross's article's for a couple years. He apparently didn't get along with Art Alphin either and commented poorly about the A-Sq rounds which at that time I was having great fun shooting my 500 A-Sq Hannibal. So I was doubly chapped at hom

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
I don't believe anyone is challenging the 458's success as a DG hunting arm.

The History speaks for itself , it was after the demise of the old Kynoch and the English hold over the African DG gun scene the go to caliber for that genre of hunting ! No doubt about it ! undisputed !

The Brno ZKK 602 in 458 arguably the most encountered gun in the field. Game departments armed their employees with these and those fortunate enough to have access to DG hunting often did the same !

The bad rap came because of the practice of hoarding ammo because of mainly lack of access due to sanctions. Few incidents gave rise to a misplaced urban legend of failure .... of elephant running around with bullets sticking out of their heads etc etc. Anyone who lived will attest to that endless stories bandied around by Saturday morning gunshop tyre kickers!

But we must not forget, that reputation was built on the 500 gr Solid and 510 gr soft !

Not on lesser weight bullets and more than likely because there were no quality lesser weight bullets available. Everything in the 300, 350 and 400 gr gr range was made for cartridges like the 45-70 !

When I built my first 458 in 86 iirc the only not too wimpy lighter than 500 gr bullets for the 458 were the Barnes 49k jacketed RNSN. When they could be got. Kodiak Bonded Core was making bullets with a Corbin Hydro Press at the time also . But his stock disappeared so fast once he had bullets made that I never got to try any.
It was truly a Great day when the first Barnes X bullets became available !!!!!. They got bought up fast at the shops in Sitka that carried them.
But 500 gr Hornady RNSN seemed to always be in stock somewhere or other. So lots of them got shot up. Lots of young guys destroyed lots of factory and some aftermarket stocks on 458s in Southeast Alaska. I put an MPI fiberglass Whby style , with the strongest build that Doc offered. On my first 458 on a Sako action. Bedded it with ACCRA GLASS Steel Bed. And shot the heck out of it. Never broke that stock.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,
Last I heard, Ross had moved to KY. hilbily
My fellow hillbilly would not enjoy my critique of his article on the .458 Winchester Magnum either.

Regarding the Ruger M77 Mk II rebuilt to .375 H&H for Dave Scovill:
quote:
I was fortunate to have inherited that rifle. It was built by Bill Atkinson, who was basically Bill Ruger's go to gunsmith in the Prescott area. It was a simple conversion and no doubt an exploratory look at whether or not to produce them. But the introduction of the 375 Ruger made it even simpler.
The rifle however is still a camp favorite, now wears one of Bill Ruger's favorite stocks, the infamous "canoe paddle" stock and has even earned the nickname "Pointer" , as pretty much everything it gets pointed at dies !

Good to know that she is still kicking. tu2
That .375 H&H rifle, Pointer, weighed 7 lbs 4 oz in the factory walnut stock,
with the factory open sights installed, taken off the donor .338 Win. Mag, no ammo or scope.
Might be an even 7 pounds in the Zytel Canoe Paddle stock. As rugged a stock as there is.
Points like a wand, eh?
A magic wand, with the power of life and death.

I need to figure out how to move that Ruger ejector back.
Doesn't look as easy as on a Winchester M70.
The Ruger looks like it has a true Mauser MF ejector/boltstop
Any gunsmithing "pointers" on that would be greatly appreciated, pun intended, but information sincerely desired.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It looks like the majority of the extra room was gained simply by grinding the ejector and bolt stop back. And I am sure the thinness of the remaining stop is one of the reasons they chose to take another route. Although the steel is undoubtedly tough and seems to have not suffered under some pretty rough usage.
And the bolt throw, like most well broken in Rugers, is amazingly slick and quick. All it takes is a quick flick of the wrist .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some handloading and artificial media testing of the 400-grain X-Bullet by Finn Aagaard was published in HANDLOADER No. 174, April-May 1995.

.458 Winchester Magnum, Winchester brand, factory rifles used:
Rifle A: Winchester Pre-'64 M70 with 25-inch barrel.
Rifle B: Winchester Pushfeed M70 with 22-inch barrel.

Throats:
Free travel with the 500-grain Hornady softpoint (3.34" COL) was 0.71" in Rifle A, 0.89" in rifle B.

For this specific bullet specimen the "free travel" is the same, to two decimal places, as what I call "jump to lands" from case mouth of maximum length brass.
"Jump to lands" is measured or calculated to 3 decimal places (thousandths of an inch), and is irrespective of bullet ogive variation.

Velocities are instrumental, 12 feet from Oehler 35P, not corrected to MV.
Temperatures varied from 65*F to 70*F during data collection. Average: 70*F

400-grain Barnes X-Bullet
R-P brass case
CCI-250 primer
COL: 3.340" or less, assumed.
Finn did not specify LongCOL loading on this load, though he did write of an experiment elsewhere using 500-grain bullets.

Accurate 2015 powder charge of 74.0 grains:
Rifle A: 2368 fps KE = 4980 ft-lbs
Rifle B: 2335 fps KE = 4842 ft-lbs

On the penetration test, using "resistant medium,"
velocity was 2358 fps for the 400-grain Barnes X-Bullet.
Of the 10 bullets used in the .458 Win. Mag. it was the shining star.
One .30-06 load was tested, which must have been Finn's "control" for the test medium instead of the BB gun used on ordnance gelatin.

Here is the "resistant medium" section of Table III, an excerpt for book review purposes of that issue of HANDLOADER:

(The * in the table below indicates handloads, others are factory loads.)

Book review: An excellent book, and an excellent author, Finn Aagaard.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It looks like the majority of the extra room was gained simply by grinding the ejector and bolt stop back. And I am sure the thinness of the remaining stop is one of the reasons they chose to take another route. Although the steel is undoubtedly tough and seems to have not suffered under some pretty rough usage.
And the bolt throw, like most well broken in Rugers, is amazingly slick and quick. All it takes is a quick flick of the wrist .

Thanks. That is about all I could surmise from the Dave Scovill article.
I might try that one of these days.
In the M70 the ejector "blade" is the bolt stop, only one thing to grind, and shortening it really does not affect the strength for the bolt-stop function. Shorter can be stiffer and stronger sometimes.
I am going to have to take a Ruger M77 Mk II boltstop/ejector assembly apart and see if I have to grind on two separate areas.
Page 40 with next reply?
That last page just flew by.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I love the mono expanding bullet, lighter weight means higher velocity and flatter trajectory. Effectiveness is top notch to boot.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.458 Win. Mag. with 400-grain Barnes X-Bullet, Finn Aagaard data from previous page,
AA-2015 powder charge of 74.0 grains:

25"-barrel length (Rifle A) with 0.71-inch "free-travel/jump-to-lands" throat: 2368 fps KE = 4980 ft-lbs

22"-barrel length (Rifle B) with 0.89-inch "free-travel/jump-to-lands" throat: 2335 fps KE = 4842 ft-lbs

Sure, the Pre-'64 and Pushfeed M70 barrels might have had differences in lands and grooves, finish/wear, other chamber dimensions, etc.,
that could affect things other than the minor throat-length difference contribution.

But this suggests only 11 fps velocity loss for each inch of barrel shortening from 25" to 22".

So the 20-incher might loose only 55 fps versus the 25-incher?
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
I love the mono expanding bullet, lighter weight means higher velocity and flatter trajectory. Effectiveness is top notch to boot.

I think Phil and Finn agree, despite Alf.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still at loss why a 458 Winchester with 3.6" magazine is a better thing than the 458 Lott/450 Ackley.

Also, Ron is misleading the average bloke who might be thinking of a 458 Win because it is the same as the 458 Lott .... when glancing at this thread. Misleading advertising Big Grin What if his new 458 Winchester does not have a 3.6" magazine? He is fucked Big Grin

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
I am still at loss why a 458 Winchester with 3.6" magazine is a better thing than the 458 Lott/450 Ackley.

Also, Ron is misleading the average bloke who might be thinking of a 458 Win because it is the same as the 458 Lott .... when glancing at this thread. Misleading advertising Big Grin What if his new 458 Winchester does not have a 3.6" magazine? He is fucked Big Grin

Let me say this about your statements.

I guess the following pretty much wraps up this 40-pages long thread on the Almighty.

Are there any better cartridges than the .458WM? : Nope. tu2

Are there any worse cartridges than the .458WM? : Yes, a bunch. beer

Is the .458WM a perfect cartridge? : Yes. animal

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustavo:
quote:

I guess the following pretty much wraps up this 40-pages long thread on the Almighty.

I think that a perfect rifle cartridge needs a shoulder. The shoulder says that the cartridge has more power than absolute minimum, that it is investing in its job of pushing the bullet through the bore.

And McGuire is right, the cartridge needs to do this day in and day out, rain or shine, in a 3.4" magazine. The bullet needs a Lott of push to be a game field dominator, and a beltless, shouldered case can get this done out of a 3.4" hanger.

So the question remains, at least until Ruger comes out with an over-the-counter 458Ruger (which I'm not expecting due to the attractiveness of the 375 and 416 Rugers in NA),
how easy is it to make a 458 Ruger?

Can a person simply run a 416Ruger reamer into a 458Win chamber?

On brass, can one simply neck up a 416Ruger case?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm the opposite. I love belts. Wish all the carts that I shoot had belts on them. Don't see any gain to Not having a belt. Other than some things were manufactured without belts. Like the 9.3×64 and the 375 Ruger.
I think the whole beltless craze is just that. Crazy.
Same with shoulders. I've got some 458 brass that I've reloaded around 20 times . and I've never annealed it. It still works fine. No split necks like most shouldered carts would have after that much work without annealing.
Since it is from several different manufacturers , I don't think it is a situation where 1 brand was superior to another. Just a most excellent case design.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Cold finger,

Think what a straight-walled 270 would be like. thumbdown

Then think about a straight-walled 30-06 or 308. thumbdown

They would all be anemic, maybe pushing things at 2200fps.

Shoulders are for men, what more can I say? sofa
Hey, it's not my wife's shoulders that slay me.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The potty-mouthed intellectual potentate from down under has mentally passed gas again!
And it is the same mental flatus as before!
("Fart" used to be a proper medical term, but "brain fart" never was.)

Mikey,
Being the Weatherby fan you are, surely you can understand that the 3.6" .458 Win. Mag. is like a "Weatherby-ized" 3.6" .458 Lott.
By happy chance the .458 Win. Mag. has the capability of velocity and accuracy at amazing levels with LongCOL loading.
Amazing indeed considering that the Winchester engineers never intended to,
but they made it possible when they short-shrifted the James Watts design, and topped it with a very Un-Nitro-Express throat.

And regarding the second cloud of Mikey's mental flatus:

Anyone with a 3.4"-boxed .458 Winchester Magnum should be very happy.
I am going to build one as my full custom, a Ruger M77 Mark II. tu2

I load two 450-grain Flat Nose solids or softs in the bottom of the box:
That is a double tap in reserve, +2300 fps and over 5200 ft-lbs KE,
and a far more effective double tap than any of the old 450 Nitro Express water under the bridge.
That is with 3.340" COL.
For comparison, a 3.485" COL with the 450-grain North Fork FP solid gave 2411 fps MV with 81 grains of AA-2230.

The lead-off double tap is the 400-grain HV at 3.450" COL, 2500 fps and 5550 ft-lbs KE.
The first-fired cartridge goes directly into the chamber, with the second one resting on the top of the box,
bullet tip barely touching the feed ramp, with the bolt closed over it.
It is immediately ready to slide into the chamber after the first one is fired and ejected.
Could recoil do anything funny to that cartridge on the feed ramp?
We'll see.

I already know how to open up a Winchester M70 Classic from 3.4" to 3.6", all by myself, no parts needed,
just grind the ejector/boltstop and pop the spacer out of the back of the box. Voila!

I am learning how to do that to a Ruger M77 Mark II.
That requries a new sheetmetal box and follower, from the RSM .375 H&H, and trickier work on the ejector and bolt stop.
I probably won't even need to do that if my "Double-Double-Tap" loading method works as planned.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan,

I have deleted the nonsense from your reply and will respond in red
to the points with redeeming social value, even if jackaloping:

quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustavo:

So the question remains, at least until Ruger comes out with an over-the-counter 458Ruger (which I'm not expecting due to the attractiveness of the 375 and 416 Rugers in NA),
how easy is it to make a 458 Ruger?

Can a person simply run a 416Ruger reamer into a 458Win chamber?

No. The .458/.416 Ruger is 0.080" longer than the .458 Win. Mag.
But the SAAMI .458 Lott reamer has a diameter at case mouth of 0.4855", rounds off to 0.486".
That is the desired N-2 diameter, and it could be used to lengthen the .458 Win. Mag. chamber by .080".
The SAAMI .458 Win. Mag. reamer diameter at case mouth is 0nly 0.4847", rounds off to 0.485".
That might be OK, but is 0.001" smaller than desirable by usual principles, going by my dummy measurements.

On brass, can one simply neck up a 416Ruger case?

Yes. Why not?
As is the necks are good, necking up the .416 to .458.
Seems to be a little thicker than .458 Win. Mag. brass at the case mouth wall thickness.
If you necked down cylindrical, basic brass to .458/.416 Ruger, might it be thicker or thinner?

Might be better to start with a virgin .458 barrel, use a .416 Ruger reamer with .450-bore pilot.
Then use the .458 Win. Mag. SAAMI reamer for partial neck of the .458/.416 Ruger, and all of the throat.
Then the SAAMI .458 Lott reamer would finish off the neck, and not touch the throat.
Three operations.
But the .458 Win. Mag. belt (0.535" reamer diameter) would ring the base of the .416 Ruger portion of the chamber (0.533" reamer diameter in that area). Eeker

A PURPOSE-MADE FINISH REAMER IS A MUST.

With a purpose-made .458/.416 Ruger finish reamer, it might be possible to quite easily convert any .458 Win. Mag. in one operation
But I am just an amateur riflecrank with only 46 years of bubba experience,
inspired by my 299 of 300 score on U.S.M.A. M16 rifle qualification at age 17.
They locked up that last 300-yard silhouette, wouldn't let it fall, or I shot the center out of it.
I think plebe hazing included not letting them get a perfect score on anything. Roll Eyes
Better ask a real GUNSMITH.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think that a perfect rifle cartridge needs a shoulder. The shoulder says that the cartridge has more power than absolute minimum, that it is investing in its job of pushing the bullet through the bore.

Well, not necessarily a shoulder makes for better "power" all things being equal.

Not for nothing almost all straight-walled cases are close to the ideal in terms of burning efficiency for a given burning rate.

Physics comes handy to explain this in quite simple terms, not that I'm interested in delving into this, just because I'm bored tonight.

Overbore also comes to play (as properly defined by the late Ken Howell) and hard to argue with a straight-walled case, when it comes to sheer efficiency.

Which one is more efficient? The .35 Whelen or the .30-06 (parent case) ?? Easy...the Whelen. Eeker

So, all in all, a cylindrical case is as efficient as a cartridge case can be. Period. tu2

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a better "Mini Me" twin bullet bullet for the .30-06 "training rifle" to match the trajectory of the 400-grain HV in the .458 Win. Mag.
BC is within .002 and SD is within .001 difference:

Speer Grand Slam SP 180-grainer of .308 caliber, aka Hot Cor Mag Tip.
2500 fps from a 22" barrel will be a starting load in the .30-06, easy to find an accuracy load.
Maybe H4831SC to slow it down, instead of the usual H4350 at 2700 fps.
One could shoot a sleeker bullet at higher speed in the .30-06,
but that would not serve as training wheels for the matching Ruger Mark II with matching SlugHunter scope.

Of course a .458/.416 Ruger could do the same thing, and even at 100 fps faster velocity for training wheels.

Obviously that is not necessary with the modern .458 Wichester Magnum.
LongCOL 400-grainer, 5550 ft-lbs KE.
ShortCOL 450-grainer at +5200 ft-lbs KE.
ShortCOL 500-grainers easily over 5000 ft-lbs KE,
and LongCOL 500-grainers faster than a .458 Lott SAAMI load.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the winner. Its amazing what a straight walled case can do with a bit of pressure.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
You guys are getting pretty retro, praising straight-walled cases. cuckoo

Straight-walled 22's?
They work, e.g., 22LR. 223 Rem is much better.

Straight-walled 27's? Huh?
Jack O'Connor would have had you for breakfast.

However, I will admit that there is a point at which recoil and the necessary barrel size at the chamber will limit the practical application of a shoulder for a hunting cartridge. Could that be true already at .45"? Give us a break! A straight-walled .45" is a good round, maybe at a practical limit for some shooters. Perfect it ain't.
So up to .510", I would stand by the following rule-of-thumb as time-tested wisdom:

RIP--thank you for the practical tips on a Ruger chamber reamer.
It does, in fact sound like running a Lott reamer in 2.58" and then a 416 Ruger reamer removable pilot in 2.58" would work, assuming a .450" pilot could be fitted.
coffee

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’m just waiting for this post to get around to loading the 480 Woodleighs at 2250 and then we rename the 458 Win to the 450 Rimless Nitro Express and call it a day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Couple of things, I knew Finn and had many wonderful conversations with him, He always used a 500 gr. bullet in his .458, mostly Woodleighs with handloads but mostly he used factory ammo as a matter of fact..It did what he required it made big holes in big animals, that's almost a verbatim quote..

I like a rifle case to have a shoulder to headspace on, the belt is prone to different sizes andf that effects brass life etc...All that said, Im not sure it makes a twit..The .458 has worked fine as has the other belted rounds for quite some time so its battlel proven so to speak..

Belt bitchings been around for ions but is of little value either way..I can live just fine with or without a belt on my pants or rifle casess..My opine is I would rather load my Lott down and shoot faster with less pressure, thus my preference..I know the .458 is an awesome killer with a good handload. Some can't seem to get that thru their thick skulls, and accuse me of degrading the .458 killing ability, not so... its all nonsense, and 40 pages proves it! As its become a page challenge and everyone is adding to that to set a record but its lost its value of good gun conversation.. dancing

Oops additionally I think a solid rifle bullet should have a shoulder on it also, Keith proved that with big pistols and it works on rifles as well, cuts a clean big hole less likely to plug up with fat deposits..Ive seen those plugs many times and it not prime for blood trails.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys are getting pretty retro, praising straight-walled cases. cuckoo

Straight-walled 22's?
They work, e.g., 22LR. 223 Rem is much better.

Straight-walled 27's? Huh?
Jack O'Connor would have had you for breakfast.

Tanzan, I think you are missing the boat here...not praising anything, just pointing out that a straight-walled case is not a flaw in and by itself. hilbily

Your examples, well, that's whole another story and we can address them in another thread anytime soon. beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
My opine is I would rather load my Lott down and shoot faster with less pressure, thus my preference..

If Ray Atkinson took the time to look at the pressure testing results by Hornady during development of the .458 Lott factory loads
he would be more befuddled than he already is.
Don't just read what Hornady stamps on the ammo package endflap.
Then check out the Western Powders Handloading Guide.
There is an intersection point where the .458 Win. Mag. (at 3.340" COL) and the .458 Lott (at 3.600" COL) deliver the same velocity at the same pressure with 500-grain Hornady RN bullets.
And if you allow the .458 Win. Mag. to reach 3.600" COL, it can deliver more than the .458 Lott at 3.600" COL: Higher velocity for a given bullet weight, or lower pressure, or both.

The .458 Lott (3.600") has to grunt it out at 61,000 to 62,000 PSI to get top velocities in the 2250 to 2300 fps range with 500-grain Hornady RN.

The .458 Winchester Magnum (3.340") will do 2150 to 2200 fps at only 53,000 to 54,000 PSI, with same bullet.

Which is more efficient?

Cutting shoulders on solid bullets are good as long as they cause no ill effects in feeding.
Similarly, the shoulders on cartridge brass are OK too, as long as the fatter-in-the-front case does not crowd the magazine box.

A curmudgeon like Ray is to be excused for the befuddlement over pressures and velocities.
Not even QuickLOAD knows how to factor in the throat effects.

... its all nonsense, and 40 pages proves it! As its become a page challenge and everyone is adding to that to set a record but its lost its value of good gun conversation.. dancing
Best comment yet by Atkinson. clap

Remember the "MatchKing" thread?
This one is a Lott better than that one. animal

I fired off 60 rounds of ancient factory .30-06 R-P CoreLoKt RN SP 220-grainers yesterday.
It might have been half as old as Ray Atkinson's age. Wink
It was advertised at 2410 fps ... from what barrel length?
BC reportedly 0.294, no where near that of the sleek .458/400gr HV from a .458 Win. Mag., nor as speedy.
In my 22" Ruger M77 MkII it chronographed 2337 fps at 5 yards, 5-shot Sd 17 fps, not too hot. Roll Eyes
That corrects to an MV of 2349 fps.
Anyway, with the SlugHunter scope, it was easy to connect with the 600-yard gong.
Two shots to get the windage, then 5 hits in a row,
with the last 7 shots fired today.
I am reloading that brass with 180-grain Speer GS SP to match the "flat shooting" .458 Win. Mag. trajectory.
Hitting that 30" 600-yard gong was too easy.
There is a 10" octagonal gong (across the flats),
sitting on a pole at 500 yards that will be a better test of the rigs, and better practice.
500 yards is far enough to shoot game with a Four Five Eight.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It does, in fact sound like running a Lott reamer in 2.58" and then a 416 Ruger reamer removable pilot in 2.58" would work, assuming a .450" pilot could be fitted.
coffee

Yes, that would work for a .458/.416 Ruger throated like the .458 Lott,
as long as you started with a virgin barrel, to avoid a "ghost belt."
You would have a .458 Lott that fits in a 3.4" action,
but with 2 grains of water less case capacity than the 3.6"-actioned .458 Lott.

Alas, converting a .458 Win. Mag. to .458/.416 Ruger would require setting the barrel back a thread or two,
to get rid of the "ghost belt" from the .458 Win. Mag. Chamber,
even with the purpose made reamer incorporating the MAGIC THROAT.

Best: Virgin .458 barrel and custom finish reamer, one reamer, for the .458/.416 Ruger with .458 Winchester Magnum throat (SAAMI).

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
BaxterB,

Thanks for the reply, much to Atkinson's chagrin though it may be. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
I’m just waiting for this post to get around to loading the 480 Woodleighs at 2250 and then we rename the 458 Win to the 450 Rimless Nitro Express and call it a day.

Certainly all reasonable.
How about the "450 Belted Nitro Express?" rotflmo
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
coffee

Yes, that would work for a .458/.416 Ruger throated like the .458 Lott,
as long as you started with a virgin barrel, to avoid a "ghost belt."
You would have a .458 Lott that fits in a 3.4" action,
but with 2 grains of water less case capacity than the 3.6"-actioned .458 Lott.

Alas, converting a .458 Win. Mag. to .458/.416 Ruger would require setting the barrel back a thread or two,
to get rid of the "ghost belt" from the .458 Win. Mag. Chamber,
even with the purpose made reamer incorporating the MAGIC THROAT.

Best: Virgin .458 barrel and custom finish reamer, one reamer, for the .458/.416 Ruger with .458 Winchester Magnum throat (SAAMI).

tu2
Rip ...

Almost agreed . . .
and . . .
the ghost belt would be less than one-thousandth of an inch on top.

The Ruger case is .532 at the base and the taper is roughly .001"/.01". The top of the old belt would leave a few ten-thousands for a bulge. I get a lot more bulge than that in many belted rounds just on top of the belt, depending on the chamber cut.

Still, you are correct, it would leave a mark.

So a 0.01"-0.02" barrel-setback would be called for.

Before doing that, I wonder about the accuracy of the Win throat. Is it a factor? Probably not for hunters. Still, I wonder. It's different than progressive rifling.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Well, you could make use of all that useless 458 Lott brass by firing it in the "458 Pioneer" chamber aka 458-375 Ruger (because RIP is no "Settler"). Balloon out the case to the belt diameter for some funky recycled cases for the irony of it. Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
My opine is I would rather load my Lott down and shoot faster with less pressure, thus my preference..

If Ray Atkinson took the time to look at the pressure testing results by Hornady during development of the .458 Lott factory loads
he would be more befuddled than he already is.
Don't just read what Hornady stamps on the ammo package endflap.
Then check out the Western Powders Handloading Guide.
There is an intersection point where the .458 Win. Mag. (at 3.340" COL) and the .458 Lott (at 3.600" COL) deliver the same velocity at the same pressure with 500-grain Hornady RN bullets.
And if you allow the .458 Win. Mag. to reach 3.600" COL, it can deliver more than the .458 Lott at 3.600" COL: Higher velocity for a given bullet weight, or lower pressure, or both.
quote:

The .458 Lott (3.600") has to grunt it out at 61,000 to 62,000 PSI to get top velocities in the 2250 to 2300 fps range with 500-grain Hornady RN.

The .458 Winchester Magnum (3.340") will do 2150 to 2200 fps at only 53,000 to 54,000 PSI, with same bullet.

A curmudgeon like Ray is to be excused for the befuddlement over pressures and velocities.
Not even QuickLOAD knows how to factor in the throat effects.

... its all nonsense, and 40 pages proves it! As its become a page challenge and everyone is adding to that to set a record but its lost its value of good gun conversation.. dancing
Best comment yet by Atkinson. clap

Remember the "MatchKing" thread?
This one is a Lott better than that one. animal

I fired off 60 rounds of ancient factory .30-06 R-P CoreLoKt RN SP 220-grainers yesterday.
It might have been half as old as Ray Atkinson's age. Wink
It was advertised at 2410 fps ... from what barrel length?
BC reportedly 0.294, no where near that of the sleek .458/400gr HV from a .458 Win. Mag., nor as speedy.
In my 22" Ruger M77 MkII it chronographed 2337 fps at 5 yards, 5-shot Sd 17 fps, not too hot. Roll Eyes
That corrects to an MV of 2349 fps.
Anyway, with the SlugHunter scope, it was easy to connect with the 600-yard gong.
Two shots to get the windage, then 5 hits in a row,
with the last 7 shots fired today.
I am reloading that brass with 180-grain Speer GS SP to match the "flat shooting" .458 Win. Mag. trajectory.
Hitting that 30" 600-yard gong was too easy.
There is a 10" octagonal gong (across the flats),
sitting on a pole at 500 yards that will be a better test of the rigs, and better practice.
500 yards is far enough to shoot game with a Four Five Eight.
tu2
Rip ...

Ray; it's not a page challenge, there are a lot of really good things I've lernt about my favorite cartridge . And I've been loading and shooting it for over 30 years.
Bout a thousand times more useful than dumb s--+ about fancy wood stock grain and finish. Which pollute the big bore forum on a nauseous regularity !
Ain't a thing in the world wrong with you preferring the Lott over the Winchester. But, the fact is that the Lott will NEVER accomplish what the 458 Winchester Magnum already has. And now we are learning how to get performance that will be nearly identical to the 458 Lott.
Last night I found reloading data from Accurate powder company that showed Accurate 2200 producing just under 2500 fps with a 400 gr bullet and under 47k psi With a 3.140 col.
My own velocity testing of my 458 Lott with 400 gr bullets showed me it would get mid 2500s with a 400 gr bullet.
I don't see any advantage to going with the longer action.

Rip;
That's impressive ringing a 600 yard gong with that boring rifle!!! Which aiming point did you use in the Slug Hunter scope ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.accuratepowder.com/...s/2011/04/DP2200.pdf

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Almost agreed . . .
and . . .
the ghost belt would be less than one-thousandth of an inch on top.

The Ruger case is .532 at the base and the taper is roughly .001"/.01".

WOW!!! THAT CASE TAPER IS WRONG.
Not .001"/.01" .... It is .0086"/1.000".
It tapers at a rate of almost .009" for each inch of case length in the area of interest.
You are off by a factor of almost 900X.

The top of the old belt would leave a few ten-thousands for a bulge. I get a lot more bulge than that in many belted rounds just on top of the belt, depending on the chamber cut.

Still, you are correct, it would leave a mark.

More of a mark than you think, apparently.

So a 0.01"-0.02" barrel-setback would be called for.

You cannot set a barrel back in such small increments if you have any barrel features to index.
Gotta wack it off in increments of the threads per inch, counting one thread at a time.
But now I am just quibbling, like you!

Before doing that, I wonder about the accuracy of the Win throat. Is it a factor? Probably not for hunters. Still, I wonder. It's different than progressive rifling.

Bottom line, I would not recommend anything that did not clean up absolutely.
Given wibbles and wobbles, things might go one way or the other, for good or bad.

I documented loads with SUB-MOA, 3-shot accuracy in the .458 Win. Mag., many times,
including one with the 500-grain TSX at 2250 fps MV and 0.19-MOA for 3 shots at 50 yards: Bughole.

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Last night I found reloading data from Accurate powder company that showed Accurate 2200 producing just under 2500 fps with a 400 gr bullet and under 47k psi With a 3.140 col.

There is an asterisk on that 46,400 number, it is not PSI, it is CUP.
Still outstanding, and low pressure by the old standard (was it 54,000 CUP?).
Maybe that ~47K CUP is like ~57,000 PSI?
Current SAAMI MAP is 60,000 PSI for the .458 Win. Mag.
Current SAAMI MAP for the .458 Lott is 62,500 PSI.
The .458 Lott has to try harder than the .458 Win. Mag.
It is all about the throat.

My own velocity testing of my 458 Lott with 400 gr bullets showed me it would get mid 2500s with a 400 gr bullet.
I don't see any advantage to going with the longer action.

Rip;
That's impressive ringing a 600 yard gong with that boring rifle!!! Which aiming point did you use in the Slug Hunter scope ?

Thanks!
The point on the bottom "post" of the SlugHunter reticle.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
WOW!!! THAT CASE TAPER IS WRONG.
Not .001"/.01" .... It is .0086"/1.000".
It tapers at a rate of almost .009" for each inch of case length in the area of interest.
You are off by a factor of almost 900X

Oh no! Not a typo on the internet!
We can do it in words: I remember a 17 thousandths diminishing diameter over about 2 inches. Divide the inches into tenths. That's twenty tenths. 17 thousands over twenty tenths. Round off to one: that is about one thousandth per every tenth of an inch. what was written? .1 or 0.1, correctly? No!! .01 Eeker
So yes, the number was off but the result, under one thousandth budge was correct. Your apology for an accusation of 900 percent is accepted. Wink

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
PS: you are correct on threads. The thread count must go above .1-.2".

PPS: Hunting accuracy is fine. I just wonder why most cartridges don't have such a long leade? If it's a good idea, why not more? If not, why not?

The only innovation that I remember is the idea of progressive rifling, and most don't bother.

Is a long lead the compromise between long and short freeborn?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+