New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Have you tried a Magneto Speed chronograph? It may not be affected by the cardboard wad. ?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:

That looks beautiful RIP !
Of course you would say that, CTF, since you recommended it for trial on the .458 WIN. Smiler
Doesn't protrude aft of the cocking piece by much.
Yep, pretty good right there, even though I could move it more than an inch forward on the Double-Seyfried-Schtick-2-Piece Picatinny.
How do you like the scope overall?
Very nice, overall. It is a bit heavier and bulkier than a Leupold 2.5X Ultralight, but only in proportion to its greater powers and functionality.
There are no free lunches.

How is the eye box ? I like how it sets on the CZ using the Seyfried Schick bases !!
How is the eye relief on 4 power ?

IIRC, eye-relief is 4.1" on 1X and 3.6" on 4X,
but I have never been one to be bothered by eye-relief.
If it tunnels down on high power, it becomes a super accurate peep sight, parallax is reduced by forcing the shooter to keep his eye position properly centered on the scope's center,
with no craning of neck or stock crawling.
The scope is good.
On 1X I could position it fully forward on the DSS2PP, and laugh at that brown bear as he busted out of the thicket.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF,

Thanks for supporting THE MISSION.

A young man at the range said he had a Magneto Speed,
had trouble keeping it on slick-barreled rifles.
A bulbous muzzle brake was said to be good at keeping it from sliding off the rifle in recoil: I can guess 2 reasons for that! rotflmo
Hard to get interested in Magneto Speed just for wad loads.
Wads might possibly confuse even lab radar.
That is what I want if I ever kill off my herd of optical chronographs.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

Working my way down in COL,
sticking with AA-2460,
for THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
looks like CTF has a lot of work cut out for him.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to p dog shooter for ringing THE MISSION bell.
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
looks like CTF has a lot of work cut out for him.

All the more reason to thank Cold Trigger Finger for supporting THE MISSION.
Green roof.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:

Rip:

If you have Excel send me your raw data and I will send you a spreadsheet where you can plug in your powder charge and it will return velocity using simple regression.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
yuck
Shredded card wads flying behind the bullet
do confuse a chronograph.
The 45-100 SWT was aborted today.
It will just have to be about 2 grains
bigger than the .458 WIN and use a wee bit
more powder to compensate.
I will have to pull the ones loaded with
cardboard wads.
tu2
Rip ...

... or fire them in the air at an east-Mediterranean wedding.

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AnotherAZWriter,

Thanks for supporting THE MISSION with the offer of statistical analysis, but the simple connect the dots is OK for now.
That is the "least fuss fit."
Least squares fits and other regressions might be more seemly when we have thousands of points to make sense of, 'long about page 461 of this thread.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
sambarman338,

Ringing the wedding bells also rings THE MISSION bell, eh? Thanks.
I might enjoy wasting the powder, wads, and primers at an east-Mediterranean wedding as a fun salute to the happy couple.
But I gotta pull those bullets.
Maybe a load of rice over the wads would get it to go off?
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yippee:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quality work and a sample bullet supplied, cast in 20:1, just like a custom mould-maker's service:

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Dang Rip! You are headed towards being a dyed in the Red Lead Cast man!!
Shoot that big red one at 200 and see if you think you could kill a critter with it.
The Gibbs bullet slipped into the lands on that Ruger #1 harkens back to a day when you KY boys were hidin' quiet in the trees. Smiler

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:

That looks beautiful RIP !
Of course you would say that, CTF, since you recommended it for trial on the .458 WIN. Smiler
Doesn't protrude aft of the cocking piece by much.
Yep, pretty good right there, even though I could move it more than an inch forward on the Double-Seyfried-Schtick-2-Piece Picatinny.
How do you like the scope overall?
Very nice, overall. It is a bit heavier and bulkier than a Leupold 2.5X Ultralight, but only in proportion to its greater powers and functionality.
There are no free lunches.

How is the eye box ? I like how it sets on the CZ using the Seyfried Schick bases !!
How is the eye relief on 4 power ?

IIRC, eye-relief is 4.1" on 1X and 3.6" on 4X,
but I have never been one to be bothered by eye-relief.
If it tunnels down on high power, it becomes a super accurate peep sight, parallax is reduced by forcing the shooter to keep his eye position properly centered on the scope's center,
with no craning of neck or stock crawling.
The scope is good.
On 1X I could position it fully forward on the DSS2PP, and laugh at that brown bear as he busted out of the thicket.
tu2

Rip ...[QUOTE]

Now I'm starting to regret trading/miss the CZ 550 American stocked 458 Win xxxx out Lott that I had
If only I had known that it was all set for long col loading.
That would have filled my need for a 6,000 ft lb rifle.
Well, OK , I may not actually (NEED) 6,000 ft lbs of me .
But it was a nice shootin iron.

Ya, that Black Force 1000 looks real good on there . and 3.6" eye relief on 4 power would be sufficient.
My wife found the 1-4 SWFA Classic scope that acted up that I need to send back to SWFA. . She had "cleaned up " where I had set it down when I went looking for the box . Causing it to disappear for a year. Tho the 1-4 may not be the ideal 6.5 Creedmoor scope. It sure does work well on that rifle. The built in range finder works good on caribou. At least out to 400 yards so far.
So the chances are good that I will get a BF1K Nikon . for various rifles.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
Dang Rip! You are headed towards being a dyed in the Red Lead Cast man!!
Good one!
Shoot that big red one at 200 and see if you think you could kill a critter with it.
I shall bounce it off steel gongs at 200, 300, and 600 yards, to see if I can find any parts of it lying on the ground.
Also will catch some at 25 yards in water buckets to see how they expand.
The Iron WaterBoard Buffalo may come out of pasture.

The Gibbs bullet slipped into the lands on that Ruger #1 harkens back to a day when you KY boys were hidin' quiet in the trees. Smiler

Nah, it is a much more modern design than from when we were hiding in the trees,
unless you are referring to "Scopes Monkey Trial" era?

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF,

It's a little better than I recalled, 3.8" ER at 4X, 4.1" ER at 1X.

And I just realized the little circle below the 2-MOA illuminated dot is 3.2-MOA on centers.
100 yard zero for the illuminated dot,
then use the see-through circle below it and bullet will land about 3.35" high at 100 yards.
Many useful things about that reticle.
Ought to be at "Nikon Spot On" web site,
or do your own figuring from this:

(see previous post with reticle subtention figgers)
The scope weighs 16.4 ounces.
So you can get them for less than $400 per pound.

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
sambarman338,

Ringing the wedding bells also rings THE MISSION bell, eh? Thanks.
I might enjoy wasting the powder, wads, and primers at an east-Mediterranean wedding as a fun salute to the happy couple.
But I gotta pull those bullets.
Maybe a load of rice over the wads would get it to go off?
tu2
Rip ...

Sorry, I forgot you guys don't throw confetti at weddings.

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Sorry, I forgot you guys don't throw confetti at weddings.

How thoughtless of me!
We do confetti or rice, either will do, just not bullets.
So pull the bullets and replace with a ball of paper.
That will make some confetti.
Use your rice paper and I can do both at the same time.
The rice shower symbolizes wishes of fertility for the newlyweds.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Gibbs Money Bullet in 20:1, sample of one:
Weight = 546.7 grains
Diameter = .462"
Length = 1.447", powder-coat paintx2 ought to make it very close to 1.450" to 1.455" long.
Very close to 0.100" longer than the FNGC Red Death (with powder-coat and gas check it is 1.345" to 1.355").
Call them 1.45" and 1.35" respectively.
This is like with horseshoes.

If cast instead with 92:5:2:1 alloy, it won't be much different, except for a few grains lighter and higher BHN, about the same diameter,
certainly re-sizable if it gets a few 10-thousandths bigger.
Powder-coat-painted X2 will add 2.7 grains of weight.
Sized down to .461", it might be about 545 grains.
Very close to the "544-grain"/.461-cal FN-GC Red Death,
but about 0.1" longer, due to the "Money" nose shape, semi-spitzer.

So, loads I work up for the FN-GC will do nicely for the "Gibbs Money" Semi-Spitzer Plain Base (SS-PB),
with adjustments for COL, of course.
Shooting for 2200 fps with the smokeless and 1400 fps with the duplexed-BP.

Cast in soft lead, the SS-PB might be sized down to .451" for paper-patched, duplexed-BP loads
in the .458 WIN and .45-100 SWT,
For THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Continuing to milk the "543-gr" FN-GC Red Death bullet, for THE MISSION: holycow

My QuickLOAD was not as exciting as reality with AA-2460 in Bobbarrella Shilen-CZ, .458 WIN LongCOL, 25":

QuickLOAD, 3.600" COL:
75.0 grains AA-2460 >>> 2066 fps MV <<< 54,471 PSI, 89% case filling
Reality, 3.600" COL:
75.0 grains AA-2460 >>> 2200 fps MV (5-yard, 2190 fps) <<< ??,??? PSI, not compressed

QuickLOAD, 3.475" COL:
73.0 grains AA-2460 >>> 2066 fps MV <<< 57,299 PSI, 93% case filling
SWAG of Reality, 3.475" COL:
73.0 grains AA-2460 >>> Darn close to 2200 fps MV

QuickLOAD, 3.340" COL:
71.0 grains AA-2460 >>> 2072 fps MV <<< 61,826 PSI, 97% case filling
SWAG of Reality, 3.340" COL:
71.0 grains AA-2460 >>> Darn close to 2200 fps MV

That last pressure simulation is less than the 62,500 PSI MAP allowed by SAAMI for the .458 Lott.
CIP allows the .458 WIN the same MAP as the .458 Lott, so why shouldn't we do the same on this side of the pond?

For the nervous, drop the charge of AA-2460 to 70.4 grains in the 3.340" COL,
and QuickLOAD says pressure drops to 59,979 PSI,
and velocity drops by only 15 fps.
SWAG of Reality: + 2175 fps with 543-grain FN-GC for the SAAMI-restricted .458 Winchester Magnum non-wildcat.
That is with the venerable, original 25" barrel length.
Shorten to 22" and lose less than 50 fps.
QuickLOAD says 42 fps MV lost for 3" of barrel chopped.
14 fps per inch.

The Gibbs-Money SSPB loads would be similar except for 0.100" longer COL: 3.700", 3.575", and 3.440",
depending on where they are crimped, or not crimped.
Seating the Gibbs-Money SSPB as deeply as possible will result in a COL of about 3.330" to 3.340".
Nose length is about 0.830" from meplat to first groove.
Perfect for shortCOL/SAAMI seating.
That should be a real humdinger in any SAAMI .458 WIN.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I could, should have said, “when WE country boys were hiding quiet in the trees.” My peoples journey here in this great land was along the path of bluegrass and hardwoods. First the invaders were in red, then in blue, but the boys hiding quiet in the trees with their long rifles were a force to be reckoned with. Today for the red, white and blue, we still stand quiet for Our people and Freedoms Glorious ring. May it ever be so.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury01,

I got it the first time, thanks, but sometimes my warped sense of humor takes over.

If WE ever need to hide in the woods again as trouble creeps in, there will be no better firearm than a .450-bore like the .458 WIN or its ballistic twin.
Serviceable shot shells can be made from it,
apparently they even did that with the .450 NE.

Too bad a flintlock muzzleloader to match the .458 WIN is probably not possible.
Even with fast twist and long conical bullets,
it would blow out the touch hole.
A percussion muzzle loader is better with a cap over a nipple, for pressure handling,
and both caps and nipples are replaceable.

Make your own lead bullets, BP, and percussion caps?

But if it ever comes to a resistance or survival situation, better be stocked up on lead, powder, and primers, and go easy on the brass.

Eat the invaders if food gets scarce.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of invaders:
Some of those Native Americans, that we in turn invaded, were cannibals. Yep, we invaded them right out of their lands and stone-age ways.

Another scenic overlook on the road to the .458 WIN:
450 3-1/4" NITRO FOR BLACK POWDER

Above cartridge is also from: www.cartridgecollector.net
It hints at the way the NFBP cartridges were developed by "coning-up the breech" of the forerunner BPCR.
Labor intensive paper-patched bullets transitioned to the more easily mass-produced grease-grooved versions.
The old paper-patch throats might have been like forcing cones on a shotgun chamber,
as wide-based as the cartridge mouth brass O.D. but with abrupt leade angle.
The result would be considerable effective free-bore length, in a leade-only throat.
Longer throats allowed the old BPCR to survive proof by reducing the pressures produced by the new "Nitro" replacement for BP.
If the driving bands on that cast bullet are full-bearing diameter (Why would they be otherwise?),
then that load (pictured above) would not chamber in the current CIP .450 NE.
The location of the stab-crimp in that cartridge seems to indicate that the bullets were heavy, not mere "NFBP Express" loads.
The refinements of not so wide yet still quite generous leade base diameter and a more gradual leade angle came along with the likes of the .425 WR, and the .458 WIN.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that shooting the .45-100 SWT with the 300-gr Barnes TTSX-BT ahead of 71.0 grains of H4198 was delightful.
Gentlemanly recoil and accurate enough with about 1-MOA 3-shot group.
The trailing confetti having confused the chronograph, will try again without cardboard filler wad.

Since the same bullet and powder charge was 2638 fps MV and 0.54-MOA in the .458 WIN,
I am estimating a loss of about 25 fps for the roughly 2 grains extra case capacity of the .45-100 SWT,
and another 50 fps (or less) loss for the 3-inch shorter barrel.
Total loss of about 75 fps or less.
SWAG of MV for the .45-100 SWT = 2563 fps or better, using the 300-gr TTSX starting load.
Chronographing that to check the estimate, coming up.

If valid, then by Rule Of Thumb (ROT):
Using chronograph data for a 25"-barreled .458 WIN (2.5"-brass) load, whether SAAMI or LongCOL, like from Bobbarrella Shilen-CZ,
subtract 75 fps for velocity of 22"-barreled .45-100 SWT 2.6" with COL 0.100" longer for the .45-100 SWT with no filler cardboard wads.

I'll use the 7.25-pound .45-100 SWT for gentlemanly loads, including paper-patched, duplexed-BP.
Anti-flinch training loads.

A .45-100 SWT equivalent has been done many times before, probably in this order, since 1876:

http://www.cartridgecollector....ilitary-creedmoor-26

45-100 SHARPS STRAIGHT 2.6"

one of us
posted Hide Post
45-100 REMINGTON №.3 MILITARY CREEDMOOR 2.6"

"... Very similar to the 45-100 Sharps 2.6” ..."

one of us
posted Hide Post
450 2- 6/10" MATCH

"This cartridge was patterned on the 45 2.6" Sharps in the 1880's for use in target rifles. Proprietary loadings were by Rigby and Fraser."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fraser version of the 450 2.6" Match:

one of us
posted Hide Post
This was actually CIP homologated in 1992.
Exactly like the .45-100 SWT, including throat:

45- 70 ELKO MAGNUM

one of us
posted Hide Post
The wheel re-created in 2019, the .45-100 SWT 2.6":

Estimated velocity for one particular loading of the 500-grain TSX in 22"-barrel using no cardboard filler wads is, by "rule of thumb":
2267 fps
With the iron-sighted, non-braked, 7.25-pound Bobbee Boom-Boom Ruger firing that load,
one might notice a little recoil.
I have suddenly lost interest in building a .458 WIN rifle of lighter than 8.5 to 9 pounds bare/dry/empty weight.
But I could sure use another .458 WIN LongCOL of that weight on a Winchester M70 with 3.6" magazine box length,
and another .45-100 SWT Ruger No.1 or Sharps 1874 with a heavier, longer barrel, for duplexed-BP-paper-patched loads.
My particular craziness has not subsided, I ain't dead yet.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the Big Bore Forum, and I shall continue to be a big bore.

Further meditations on how the .458 Winchester Magnum came to be the greatest big bore cartridge of all time:

By the late 1850's Mr. Whitworth and the British Volunteer movement had perfected the .450-bore percussion muzzleloader, for militia and sport.
Using 530-grain lead bullets and 70 to 90 grains of BP for long range precision at 1000 to 2000 yards was quite the rage.
Like the Hula Hoop of the next century.

Though Alexander Henry was working on a breechloader and a .450-bore cartridge for it by 1865,
and American Christian Sharps had long since created a falling block breechloader for others to later refine,
like Mr. Farquharson carving his patent prototypes from turnips,
muzzleloading refused to die.

The Wimbledon Champs of 1873, the Irish Team, still used muzzleloaders, competing out to 1000 yards.
Ironically, John Rigby was one of the Irish riflemen who challenged the Americans with their metallic-cartridge breechloading Sharps and Remington rifles,
to the first of those famous international matches at the old Creed Farm on Long Island, New York,
in September 1874.

The American Sharps and Remington Rolling Block shooters were using .44-90 cartridges of some sort: ??
44- 90 SHARPS (NECKED) 2 ¼"
Originally a Remington cartridge and the first metallic cartridge in a sporting rifle in 1869.

44- 90-500 SHARPS (NECKED) 2⅝"
Introduced in June 1873, by the Sharps Rifle Company, more than a year before the inaugural Creedmoor match.

The Irish would have won if Mr. Milner had not blown one of his shots on the wrong target. Bummer. He survived and was the top scorer for his team at another international match several years later.

Subsequent officially sanctioned, international matches were won by the Americans with no Irish bloopers,
but somehow the muzzleloaders always did better at the 1000 yard targets.
The Irish clung to their .450-bore muzzleloaders like a Charlton Heston Legacy.
Especially John Rigby!

Lo and behold, the Americans finally developed a .45-caliber rage for their breechloaders.
Did they figure that might be the way to beat the pesky Irish .450-bore muzzle loaders at 1000 yards,
by flinging the same bullets from their breechloaders,
and continue to clean their clocks at shorter ranges? Maybe.

From the Frank Sellers book SHARPS FIREARMS, pp. 325-326:

The year 1877 was a golden one for the Sharps rifles on the target ranges around the country.
Late in 1876 a series of experiments with long-range ammunition had culminated in the adoption
of a new straight .45 caliber cartridge case 2.6 inches in length,
firing a charge of 100 grains of powder and a 550-grain slug.
In the fall of 1877 another change was made;
the case was shortened from 2.6 inches to 2.4 inches.
It is probable that both these cartridges saw use in the International Match;
both were loaded exactly the same, 100 grains of powder and a 550-grain slug.
The .45 2.4-inch became the standard long-range cartridge from September 1877 on."

45-100 SHARPS STRAIGHT 2.6"

45-100 SHARPS STRAIGHT 2.4"

Somehow, it happened that John Rigby started using .450 2.6-Inch Match ammo in a breechloader, finally.
He let loose of that muzzleloader while his fingers were still warm and alive,
alive enough to develop the .450 Special Rigby in his old age,
aka .450 Nitro Express.

"British breechloading rifles which appeared in 1879-1880 were largely patterned on the Sharps action of the time."
Frank Sellers, page 329.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank Seller, pg. 341 of SHARPS FIREARMS:

"... Hugo Borchardt invented a patching machine which could patch some 25,000 slugs in 10 hours ..."

IIRC, 10 pounds maximum was the weight limit for the NRA sanctioned matches (UK-NRA and USA-NRA) like Creedmoor.

10 pounds is a nice weight for a field-ready .458 WIN.
Just thinking about old age coming on,
and trying to stay more directly on topic,
for THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Rip
Have enjoyed the history along with the cleaning of the unfairly besmirched reputation of the 458 WM. I do a bit of rock and stump busting at long range while wandering the prairie, on my summer elephant hunts, with my 458 and cast loads. I want to make sure that the future has something left to dig up and wonder about as did. The big old hunks of lead take a while to get there but they deliver a load when they do.
FTM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury01,

Summer rock-elephant hunts in the High Plains, Badlands, and Rocky Mountain foothills sounds like great sport!
With a .458 WIN and cast bullets no less!
That will get you ready for anything that comes along.
All else is twaddle.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Next up for THE MISSION:

.45-100 SWT 2.6" with no card-wad fillers.
I want to chronograph a 300-gr TTSX-BT with 71.0 grains of H4198 and 3.490" COL, for ROT-validation purposes as discussed above.

Then the .458 WIN with "543-gr" FN-GC at 3.340" COL and 3.475" COL,
with AA-2460:
69, 70, and 71-grain charges at 3.340" COL
71, 72, 73, and 74-grain charges at 3.475" COL
Already done:
74, 75, 76, 77, and 78-grains charges at 3.600" COL.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . .

IIRC, 10 pounds maximum was the weight limit for the NRA sanctioned matches (UK-NRA and USA-NRA) like Creedmoor.

10 pounds is a nice weight for a field-ready .458 WIN.
Just thinking about old age coming on,
and trying to stay more directly on topic,
for THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

First, while sitting in Heathrow LHR I couldn't access the AR website--as a weapons policy violation. [This email is coming 36 hours later]

But now to substance--
For old age I would recommend a lighter, solid rifle for big bore. 8 pounds bare, maybe 8.5, before a scope is added. The scope should be light, resulting in a 9-9.5lb carry plus ammo and sling. Yes, this may rock a bit more on shooting, but that is negligible on a hunt in comparison to carrying the rifle all day.
In addition, the rocking recoil is lessened by switching to a 300-350 grain projectile in 416 Ruger, the ultimate easy, go-to platform for a 70th birthday.

A person might be tempted to follow this line of thought and go to a 375 Ruger, and that wouldn't be a bad choice. No not at all, my wife got hers at 70. For North America there is even the super versatile 338WM. But for Africa the 416 Ruger has more to offer than the 375. In all cases, the rifleman or riflewoman must hold and shoot the 416/458/375/338 like it was a 243.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I see the latest magazine from shooting times has a big article on the 458 WinMag. I guess they’ve been seeing how popular this thread is and decided to do an article. Ha ha!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan,

Thanks for ringing THE MISSION bell, even though you resist singing along with the .458 WIN tune, which I just can't get out of my head.

quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
For old age I would recommend a lighter, solid rifle for big bore. 8 pounds bare, maybe 8.5, before a scope is added. The scope should be light, resulting in a 9-9.5lb carry plus ammo and sling.

Yep, an 8.5-pounds-bare .458 WIN is what I had in mind. 10 pounds with scope and ammo loaded.

Yes, this may rock a bit more on shooting, but that is negligible on a hunt in comparison to carrying the rifle all day.
In addition, the rocking recoil is lessened by switching to a 300-350 grain projectile in 416 Ruger, the ultimate easy, go-to platform for a 70th birthday.

A person might be tempted to follow this line of thought and go to a 375 Ruger, and that wouldn't be a bad choice. No not at all, my wife got hers at 70. For North America there is even the super versatile 338WM. But for Africa the 416 Ruger has more to offer than the 375.

I like it like this:
.375: 7.5 to 8 pounds bare ... ~7#12oz ... I used a 6#12oz (bare weight) .375 H&H in Botswana and Alaska (scoped), and might resort to that again in old age, with .458 WIN backup (scoped).
.416: 8 to 8.5 pounds bare ... ~8#4oz
.458: 8.5 to 9 pounds bare ... ~8#12oz

In all cases, the rifleman or riflewoman must hold and shoot the 416/458/375/338 like it was a 243.

Ditto the .458 WIN, of course. Use a sissy pad or muzzle brake at the bench.
Recoil will not be noticed in the field if the rifle fits the shooter and has a decent recoil pad.
I am the elderly poster boy for this.
The original Pre-64 M70 African with 25" barrel was 8.5 pounds.
And it did more for African Hunting than Peter Hathaway Capstick.
For Africa, the .458 WIN still has more to offer than any other rifle,
and it ain't just because it is the most bang for the buck,
though that is another of its advantages.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I see the latest magazine from shooting times has a big article on the 458 WinMag. I guess they’ve been seeing how popular this thread is and decided to do an article. Ha ha!

HA HA HA!
That article by Allan Jones did offer some faint praise for the old War Horse,
but it fell far short of the "miracle" status that the .458 WIN deserves.
He tagged the .458 Winchester Magnum as being a "high pressure" cartridge with SAAMI MAP of 60,000 psi "the same as the .30-06."
Yet he neglected to remind that it was SAAMI restricted to lower pressure than the SAAMI MAP for the .458 Lott (62,500 psi).

And of course he totally ignores such a non-SAAMI concept as LongCOL loading and the advantage that this allows with the 500-grain TSX
versus the tight-throated .458 Lott.

Big blooper in the article:

"... The industry chamber drawing for the .458 Win. Mag. shows its throat having zero freebore but a very long leade, the tapered section of throat over which the rifling goes from zero depth to full depth.

OK so far.

With few exceptions, total throat lengths in sporting rifle chambers are under 0.300 inch.
The .458 Win. Mag. throat is over 1.1 inches,
tapering from 0.469 inch to 0.458 inch.

WRONG!!!!
IT is only 0.6725" long for the taper down to .458" diameter, from the maximum brass length of 2.500"
But there is a 0.0200"-long chamber length plus-tolerance then a 0.0070"-long chamfer down at a 45-degree angle to get to the start of leade at .469" diameter.
So for the taper from 0.4690" to 0.4580" the length is only 0.6455".
That is 1.142" for the taper down to .450" BORE DIAMETER from maximum brass length.
From 0.4690" diameter at start of leade to .4500" bore diameter the length of leade is 1.1150".

The author started off correctly and switched horses in midstream, getting all wet in the process. Now continue with next sentence by author:

Along with the the obscure 9.3x62mm cartridge,

He obviously has not been reading at www.accuratereloading.com or he would not call that one obscure.
And he would have known that the similarly throated 9.3x62mm is another
miracle worker, like the .458 WIN,
and he might have been led to ponder the benefits of the long, leade-only throat.
My factory CZ 9.3x62mm shoots 3 shots into a 1/3-MOA cloverleaf at 100 yards with factory ammo.
The remarkable accuracy of most .458 WIN rifles could have been discussed.
Elmer Keith would have if given the chance to do it again, from The Happy Hunting Ground.

that is the longest chamber throat in the SAAMI manual by nearly 0.5 inch."

His final paragraph:

"The .458 Win. Mag. is still a viable cartridge, even with the ready availability of more dangerous-game rifles and cartridges than ever before. It's used wherever in the world dangerous game is hunted because when you compare performance to price, it works."

WHAT! Only viable because it is cheap?
No.
The .458 WIN is better than it ever was back when it was the cheapest alternative for an over .40-bore when Kenya would not allow one to hunt dangerous game with a .375 H&H.

This author is just a hack, living in the past. He gives himself away by saying this earlier in the article,
referring to what powders of mid-range burn rate to use in handloading:

'Which mid-rate powder? When we last did .458 Win. Mag. transducer data for 500-grain bullets at Speer,
most of the "usual suspects" posted velocities within 40 fps of each other with better-than-average variations in pressure and velocity. Simply use what you have.'

He would be amazed to know what a modern load can do in the SAAMI .458 Win. Mag., and utterly flabbergasted by the .458 WIN LongCOL.
Somebody else at Shooting Times must be following this thread HA HA HA and assigned the "Shooter's Gallery" Shootist/Ballistician to write the 2-pager entitled

The All-American Dangerous-Game Cartridge
pages 18-19 of the August 2019 issue.
My oh my, it's already July.

I like the title.
The .458 WIN's heritage owes a lot to the UK, but so does the USA.
The .458 WIN is a GREAT AMERICAN. patriot
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
RIP
Please write the author and show him the path to enlightenment. He may print your letter with a correction.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
RIP
Please write the author and show him the path to enlightenment. He may print your letter with a correction.

Done by email, got auto response, from shootingtimes@outdoorsg.com:

"I’ll be out of the office until July 8, 2019, and will respond to your message after I return."

Thank you, boom stick.
Even if it is picking the fly poop out of the pepper,
it is worthwhile, for THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...