Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
The factory Ruger No.1 .45-70 Government that was re-chambered to .45-100 SWT was slugged.
Groove diameter = 0.459"
8-groove, 1:20" twist.
Barrel length 22".

SAAMI spec for the .45-70 Govt is for .450" bore diameter minimum, and .456" groove diameter minimum.
Throat is a very short and abrupt leade-only affair.
Brass maximum length is 2.105" from breech face, neck diameter is 0.4800" maximum at end of brass.
Chamber minimum length is 2.1099" from breech face, and chamber minimum diameter is 0.4812" at start of bevel down to leade,
on a 12*45' angle (that is semi-angle, so 25*30* cone angle) from there on through the leade.
Leade diameter is specified at a distance of 2.1458" minimum from breech face: 0.465" minimum.
This leade tapers down to bore diameter of 0.450" minimum at a distance of 2.1789" from breech face.

So the SAAMI .45-70 Government throat is like a forcing cone that is short and abrupt.
Going from .4812" diameter at end of chamber to .450" bore diameter over a distance of 0.069".
SHORT THROAT!

Bob Mitchel re-chambered his .45-70 Government to ".45-70 Long Throat" abbreviated: .45-70 LT.
He will have to explain how this was done.

If I did the .45-70 Government with SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum Throat,
I would call it the ".45-70 Government Deep Throat" abbreviated: .45-70 GDP
tu2
Rip ...

RIP;

My first #1 Ruger in .45-70 was slightly used and easily chambered the 500gr Hornady crimped into the crimping groove. That rifle went to my second son and I purchased a new one that had a shorter throat. Speer in the # 11 manual gives loads for their 400gr at up to 2178 fps using RL-7, that was crimped into the bottom cannelure of that bullet at 2.76" COL at up to 35,000 CUP.

Later, in manual #12, Speer makes mention that in previous editions of their manual, they seated the 400gr to the bottom (rear) cannelure, but in #12, they seated it to the front cannelure at 2.540" COL BECAUSE of having received notice of a shorter throat on "current" #1 Rugers in .45-70, which I also discovered. The 500gr Hornady was hard against the rifling if seated as previously in my first Ruger #1.

So, I had my gunsmith (a world-class smith, some of whose work was published) increase the leade by 0.30", so bullets could be seated "out" by 0.25". I took a dummy round with the 500gr Hornady seated to 3.19" to "Eddy". He did the work and as to his "magic", I know nothing. All I know of him (now retired) is that he was sort of a "miracle worker" when it came to firearms. After the lengthening of the cartridge, I started to use more of a slower ball powder (H335) for the heavyweights, and H4198 for the rest.

It did become the equivalent of a standard .458 Win Mag.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That looks like what I’m talking about. Just need regular copper pipe cutter.

Place the pipe rings in the mold, pour and voila! Cast bullets you can push as fast as you want! a 6’ section of pipe should last you a long time.

quote:
Jim Bell made some 470 NE "solid" bullets with copper drive bands attached to a nickle-plated steel jacket of great thickness, with a lead core exposed at the base.
Complex.
Ought to warm the cockles of boom stick's heart.
The sectioned B.E.L.L. case below is the same one shown previously, above.

I want not for any other flanged 450-bore than the .45-100 Sharps Winchester Throat 2.6-Inch.
However, after shooting the 22"-barreled, 7.25-pound Ruger No.1, hopefully tomorrow, I might want a longer barreled and heavier one.

Until then, I should stick to .461 Gibbs #1 and .450 #2 Musket ballistics:
480-grain bullet with 76 grains of BP for 1300 fps.
500-grain bullet with 52 grains of IMR-3031 for 1500 fps.
tu2
Rip ...

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It’s not so much the maker, but the design of the dies they use to make it. I’m glad they make stout stuff patriot

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I am wondering if a copper banded cast lead bore rider will give you a higher velocity all things being equal.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
416Tanzan,

I cannot explain it, not knowing about that 1973 hit.
I do know all about PBR, would always ask for it at the local pub, until I found this:

Shiner Bock!
tu2
Rip ...

Hopefully one can tell it from Shinola mixed with metho Smiler

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn hard to beat a shiner on tap in a frosty mug..
It had done so well that Budweiser basically tried to copy it with their Ziegenbock.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sambarman338,

Flinging it at the ol' wall for THE MISSION, thanks.

I got rained out all day yesterday and this morning,
but since the ground at the range has the consistency of Shinola after a flood,
I am hoping for sun this afternoon and tomorrow to bake it back to just ankle deep.

John Farquharson, stole the ideas of Alexander Henry on the falling block action,
financed and abetted by William Metford and George C. Gibbs, barrel maker and rifle builder.
Bribed tha'judge?
After that, Farquharson did nothing else of note except finish up his days as a famous poacher after he lost his job as a gamekeeper.
http://www.researchpress.co.uk...-farquharson-metford

Lots more interesting stuff here:

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Damn hard to beat a shiner on tap in a frosty mug..
It had done so well that Budweiser basically tried to copy it with their Ziegenbock.
EZ

Amen!
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
sambarman338,

Flinging it at the ol' wall for THE MISSION, thanks.

I got rained out all day yesterday and this morning,
but since the ground at the range has the consistency of Shinola after a flood,
I am hoping for sun this afternoon and tomorrow to bake it back to just ankle deep.

John Farquharson, stole the ideas of Alexander Henry on the falling block action,
financed and abetted by William Metford and George C. Gibbs, barrel maker and rifle builder.
Bribed tha'judge?
After that, Farquharson did nothing else of note except finish up his days as a famous poacher after he lost his job as a gamekeeper.
http://www.researchpress.co.uk...-farquharson-metford

Lots more interesting stuff here:

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/
tu2
Rip ...

Interesting stuff, RIP, but do you know more about the supposed theft of intellectual property than was revealed in the story?

Like Pondoro, Farquharson may have become a poacher - but do we really know he poached Henry's art? From patenting experience I know that everything is derivative to some extent but the ultimate decision on whether a patent really does break new ground can only be left to the courts, if contested.

Can't be sure, but the Lord Chancellor, as a kind of super Attorney General/Chief Justice of the highest 'court' in one, was probably a rich and high-minded dude, presumably beyond any bribe a gamekeeper could manage.

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Paper patched shooting results with some red lipstick loads thrown in at 1800 + is what I am hoping to see Sir Rip.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sambarman338,

Donald Dallas is about as expert as possible on the subject and he says that Alexander Henry was done wrong by the Lord Chancellor.

Henry entered a falling block rifle in the military trials of 1865-1871. It did not make the cut. The Peabody-Martini action with Henry rifling was the winner.
Henry set about redesigning his falling block into a hammerless, self-cocker with improved extraction, sometime in that period of 1865-1871.
Farquharson was a good rifle shot, supposedly a gamekeeper, and had done jail time for poaching.
He became a pest at Alexander Henry's shop and was banned from the premises, during the time Alexander Henry was developing his new action.

In 1872 Farquharson showed up with a falling block rifle that had a Henry barrel on it, as the demo for his patent, obtained before Alexander Henry had gotten a patent on the same ideas.
When Alexander Henry produced the same sort of action within only a few months of the Farquharson patent,
Farquharson sued Henry for patent infringement.
Henry sued him right back.
The Court of Chancery presided over by the Lord Chancellor had to settle it, I assume that is a higher level court of appeal, similar to the U.S. Supreme Court, or some such British ju-ju.
Reportedly Henry was not able to show any objective proof that Farquharson had stolen his ideas.
It became a he-said-he-said affair and the Lord Chancellor punted with the date of patent for Farquharson, a few months before Henry.

Gibbs, Metford, and a Mr. Pitts were in cahoots with Farquharson from early on. I suspect Gibbs built the action based on evil doings by Farquharson.
Gibbs and the other silent partners masterminded and funded the operation,
using Mr. Metford's rifling, and Mr. Pitts' money and influence.
Farquharson was the patsy, getting even with Alexander Henry.

Farquharson was a bubba, a relative begger, not a gunbuilder or mechanical engineer, had never invented anything prior to coming out with his 29-page patent application and paying for the expensive application process.

Gibbs and Metford are reported to have financed the patent application and court costs.
They took over the rights to the action and went to town with it:
Gibbs-Farquharson-Metford Long-Range Rifle.
Yes, Alexander Henry was robbed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
Paper patched shooting results with some red lipstick loads thrown in at 1800 + is what I am hoping to see Sir Rip.

Fury01,

I have learned to paper-patch, but I also learned to use that technique with black powder loads.
My smokeless results were pathetic with paper-patched.
In the .45-100 SWT with 530-grainer, 22" barrel, 1:20" twist:

40.0 grains AA-5744 >>> 1470 fps for 5-shot average (5-yard instrumental), ES = 14 fps, 5-shot group at 50 yards (factory iron sights) was about 8-1/2"

45.0 grains AA-5744 >>> 1613 fps, ES = 66 fps, group: Only 4 on paper in a 12" group, 5th shot off paper. faint

On to the 486-gr GC-powder-coated Red Death of 10:1 alloy (Pb:SN):

52.0 grains of AA-5744 >>> 1873 fps, ES = 54 fps,
group: 3-1/4" for 5 at 50 yards with the open sight.

It is time to attach a scope and concentrate on the powder-coated bullets,
both the GC-PC 486-grainer, and the Plain Base 487-gr hard-cast bullets.
The latter was MOA for 3 shots at 1400 fps.
I am hoping to get that one up to 1800-1900 fps.
I was so happy with 1400 fps before, that I quit there.
I will not be so easily satisfied this time,
for better or worse.

BTW, to add some redeeming social value to the above trash data,
the Ruger No.1 quarter rib was well attached with two 1/8" stud-pins/posts, and 4 screws of same diameter as 8x40 but with coarser threads.
Maybe 8x32?
I cannot improve on this other than by removing the quarter rib, degreasing, and re-installing the screws with blue LocTite.
No J-B-Weld needed here:

The .475 Linebaugh Ruger No.1 lacked the stud-pins on the quarter rib attachment, had only the 4 screws.
I had to J-B-Weld that one.
The .45-70 Govt. Ruger No.1 is better built from the factory.
Should handle a scope well.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
This 22"-barreled .45-70 Govt Rolling Block, a re-barreled antique ...

... was compared to the 22"-barreled .45-100 SWT Ruger No.1,
both shooting W-W factory .45-70 Govt 300-gr HP, advertised at 1825 fps with unspecified barrel length.

The .45-100 SWT chamber versus the .45-70 Govt chamber: 1629 fps versus 1746 fps, instrumental.
About 120 fps lost in the .45-100 SWT,
but better accuracy with the .45-100 SWT shooting .45-70 Govt ammo.
Useful in a pinch.

BTW, the Rolling Block has a tighter, 6-groove barrel, 0.458" groove diameter, tightest .458-caliber barrel I ever slugged.
The Ruger No.1 has an 8-groove, 0.459" groove diameter.
That might add velocity to the Rolling Block of same barrel length, versus the Ruger.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Rip
I’m beginning to think some Lott fanatic is putting bad juju in your cast bullet loads. How good is your security perimeter? If your paper patched loads work getting slapped in the butt by black powder, there has to be a way for smokeless. Thanks for all you do and share on behalf of the great 458WM. Slaying dragons one throat at a time. Smiler

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gibbs, Metford, and a Mr. Pitts were in cahoots with Farquharson from early on. I suspect Gibbs built the action based on evil doings by Farquharson.
Farquharson was the patsy, getting even with Alexander Henry...

Gibbs and Metford are reported to have financed the patent application and court costs.

I'm dubious on this assumption.
I have read (somewhere - will look for it), reported in a period publication, that Farquharson was showing his hammerless action around at shooting meets looking for investors or to build up interest.
I also would think that if Gibbs and Metford were backing him from the start that his barreled action wouldn't have had a Henry barrel on it.

Here it is:
Start on page 23

https://books.google.com/books...ent%20action&f=false

It seem clear that Henry is very likely the man infringing here as there is no way Farquharson could have seen Henry's work on the action simply because he was barred from the work premises. That was due to another patent argument between the two men in 1871.
Also, the account of Henry visiting Mr. Mason shortly after Farquharson did lays out the chronology of how Henry drew up a largely similar sketch and, as the Lord Chancellor infers, back dated it to make it appear to predate the Farquharson sketch.

Henry looks to be the culprit here IMO.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huvius,

Thanks for the link.
A most humorous aspect of it is the account of Farquharson's claim to have carved the action parts out of turnips, since he lacked the usual tools and materials for R&D.

I'm with Donald Dallas on this one.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Furyy01,

My excuse: It was overcast and raining intermittently, and my iron sights fogged up. Wink

I shall return with a scope on Bobbee Boom-Boom Ruger:

Maybe the 50.0 and 52.0-grain charges of AA-5744 will spank that soft lead 530-grainer hard enough to work better?
Nah.

Better try 72 grains of FFg duplexed with 12 grains of SR-4759.
That's a Paul Matthews load with his 565-grain paper-patched bullet having an unpatched diameter of 0.450",
in a .458 WIN Ruger No.1, the ballistic twin of BobbeeBBR.

That Nikon InLine is a perfect fit on the Ruger No.1 quarter rib,
using two of the medium height (#4) Ruger rings.
Adding weight of scope and rings will make it gentle.
Weight with scope, rings, and slip-on rubber butt pad for proper LOP: 8-5/8 pounds, 8.625 lbs, 8#-10oz.
Eye relief is great with that scope.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
sambarman338,

Donald Dallas is about as expert as possible on the subject and he says that Alexander Henry was done wrong by the Lord Chancellor.

Henry entered a falling block rifle in the military trials of 1865-1871. It did not make the cut. The Peabody-Martini action with Henry rifling was the winner.
Henry set about redesigning his falling block into a hammerless, self-cocker with improved extraction, sometime in that period of 1865-1871.
Farquharson was a good rifle shot, supposedly a gamekeeper, and had done jail time for poaching.
He became a pest at Alexander Henry's shop and was banned from the premises, during the time Alexander Henry was developing his new action.

In 1872 Farquharson showed up with a falling block rifle that had a Henry barrel on it, as the demo for his patent, obtained before Alexander Henry had gotten a patent on the same ideas.
When Alexander Henry produced the same sort of action within only a few months of the Farquharson patent,
Farquharson sued Henry for patent infringement.
Henry sued him right back.
The Court of Chancery presided over by the Lord Chancellor had to settle it, I assume that is a higher level court of appeal, similar to the U.S. Supreme Court, or some such British ju-ju.
Reportedly Henry was not able to show any objective proof that Farquharson had stolen his ideas.
It became a he-said-he-said affair and the Lord Chancellor punted with the date of patent for Farquharson, a few months before Henry.

Farquharson was the patsy, getting even with Alexander Henry.

Farquharson was a bubba, a relative begger, not a gunbuilder or mechanical engineer, had never invented anything prior to coming out with his 29-page patent application and paying for the expensive application process.

Thanks RIP, so, as I suspected your knowledge of the matter went further than that article.

Whether the Lord Chancellor acted unreasonably may not be so clear cut, of course. While Farquharson may have indulged in industrial espionage, he did patent first and, in matters of patent law, prior art tends to be the trump card.

Your mention of F's being a pest at the shop reminds me of the story about Elvis being one at the Sun studio (even pressing his nose up against the window) for a year before Sam realised he actually had potential.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sambarman338,

Thanks for supporting THE MISSION.
It seems that throwing Farquharson at the wall has stuck. Wink
I did make one mistake in my little spiel above.
As Huvius pointed out, Farquharson and Henry also had a patent dispute in 1871 before the famous one in 1872.
IIRC, it was over an improved extractor.
Maybe that was the part that Farquharson claimed to have whittled from a turnip?
It is hard to imagine he did a complete action from turnips.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alrighty then, I will finish the paper-patched experiment in the .45-100 SWT/.458 WIN LongCOL by firing the 50-grains-of-AA-5744 loads with a scope.
Also 5 shots with only 35.0 grains of AA-5744 and the 530-grain paper-patched bullet.
That will complete a ladder of 35.0, 40.0, 45.0, and 50.0 grains with AA-5744.

I will do the same ladder with the 486-gr GC-PCP bullets of 10:1 alloy.
I will do the same ladder with 487-gr Plain-base-PCP bullets of Linotype.
I have 20 each of those bullets ready to go.
After that I will start casting them both in Lyman #2 alloy.

And, I will do the Paul Matthews load with the paper-patched slicks, 72 grains of FFg plus 12 grains of SR-4759, 10 shots of that.

All with the Nikon InLine on Bobbee Boom-Boom Ruger,
which should be good for at least 400 shots before it needs replacement.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
sambarman338,

Thanks for supporting THE MISSION.
It seems that throwing Farquharson at the wall has stuck. Wink
I did make one mistake in my little spiel above.
As Huvius pointed out, Farquharson and Henry also had a patent dispute in 1871 before the famous one in 1872.
IIRC, it was over an improved extractor.
Maybe that was the part that Farquharson claimed to have whittled from a turnip?
It is hard to imagine he did a complete action from turnips.
tu2
Rip ...

Patent and attribution rip-offs are hardly rare, of course. Apparently Alexander Graham Bell did not invent the telephone and television (at least in cable mode) was invented by a guy called Henry Sutton here in Victoria the year before Logie Baird was born and about 40 years before he got into the TV act.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Rip
I have never had trouble with Lyman #2 like alloy in my 458. Sized at .459 and lots of lube Dacron over either 4759 or aa2015 just works. I shoot over sticks so I don’t have those one hole targets like you often show. I do have a few 2” at 200 but mostly 1.5 to 2 at 100. Of course I have lessor quality to but calling pulls takes care of that. I have full faith in the loads and hunt whitetail with it regularly. Haven’t missed one yet. I did knock a hind leg off a running doe but that was a stopped swing.
Wishing you good luck on this round!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury01,

Thanks for the good wishes, for THE MISSION.
I am sold on powder-coat paint instead of traditional lubes.
I think I might be able to add about 0.001" per coat with repeated coatings.
If the Lyman #2 is heavier and smaller diameter by about .001" (versus Linotype) I might get close to a true 500-grainer with a Government Red Death plain-base bullet.
Flattening the nose with a nose punch will make it look more wicked.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Furyy01,

My excuse: It was overcast and raining intermittently, and my iron sights fogged up. Wink

I shall return with a scope on Bobbee Boom-Boom Ruger:

Maybe the 50.0 and 52.0-grain charges of AA-5744 will spank that soft lead 530-grainer hard enough to work better?
Nah.

Better try 72 grains of FFg duplexed with 12 grains of SR-4759.
That's a Paul Matthews load with his 565-grain paper-patched bullet having an unpatched diameter of 0.450",
in a .458 WIN Ruger No.1, the ballistic twin of BobbeeBBR.

That Nikon InLine is a perfect fit on the Ruger No.1 quarter rib,
using two of the medium height (#4) Ruger rings.
Adding weight of scope and rings will make it gentle.
Weight with scope, rings, and slip-on rubber butt pad for proper LOP: 8-5/8 pounds, 8.625 lbs, 8#-10oz.
Eye relief is great with that scope.
tu2
Rip ...

Nice looking rifle RIP.
What velocity will those loads produce ?
Pretty handy dandy huntin rifle.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi CTF,

Thanks for propelling THE MISSION.
Yep, Bobbee is pretty short and light for a .458 WIN ballistic twin.
Any loads for the .45-100 SWT can be used in the .458 WIN, just adjust for COL difference of 0.093" shorter in the .458 WIN,
and results should be near identical.

Likewise, any .458 WIN LongCOL load can be used in the .45-100 SWT, by increasing the COL by 0.093",
in going from the 2.5" (belted) case
to the 2.6" flanged case,
to create identical effective case capacities.

The 7.25# Bobbee might be a bit hellish compared an 8.5# bare/10.0# field ready bolt action.
Hence, some pleasure loads come first for Bobbee.

Here is the next batch of paper-patched and powder-coated loads,
expected to be in the 1300-1900 fps range with 500-grain-ish boolitts:

This is the first time I have tried a duplexed BP load. I really need to get out more often.
First, 12.0 grains of starter powder with a single layer "wad" of 0.003"-thick vellum paper (100% cotton) punched with a wad punch.
This keeps the powders from mixing.
Next, 72.0 grains of Goex FFg.
Then a 0.025"-thick card wad over the BP.
Then the powder is compressed about a half inch.
Then a lube cookie.
Then another card wad over the lube cookie.
Then a third card wad over that to fine tune the seating dept.
Then the paper-patched boolitt is seated.
Then the case mouth flare is removed with a taper-crimp die.
Voila.
Ready to shoot all day with minimal BP fouling.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
To re-enact the origins of the .458 WIN, I feel compelled to consider a .450-bore muzzle-loader with paper-patched bullets.
That would be for soft-lead heavies (500-ish grains) of about .440" diameter to be paper-patched to about bore diameter,
for black powder to kick in the pants, of course.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:
Originally posted by lshopper:
I shot my only (so Far) cape buffalo with a first generation DGX out of a 500 NE. The only harm was to the buffalo. It only took one shot.

I used the newest edition of the DGX on an old dugga boy a few weeks ago and had the same results as Lance.
They shoot and perform well from my old 458 and no matter what bullets you use, if you shoot enough you eventually will wear out any barrel.

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

The .459 Elko Magnum is a C.I.P. cartridge homologated in 1992 as (strangely enough) the "45-70 Elko Mag."
Dr. Kortz in Belgium created it.

http://www.municion.org/45_70/45-70ElkoMagnum.htm

It uses 2.6" brass and a .458 Win.Mag. throat.
Identical to the .45-100 SWT 2.6". rotflmo
I was beaten on that one by only 27 years.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably a useful bullet for the .458 WIN and .45-100 SWT:

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
After the Whitworth Hexagonal percussion muzzle loader, the road to .458 WIN perfection meandered through the Westley Richards Monkey Tail,
a percussion-capped breech loader.
WR got the patent for the Monkey Tail in 1858.

www.theexplora.com/a-curious-t...e-monkey-tails-tale/

The British government was ordering up some guns and ammo for trial in 1860:

www.pdbullets.com

Is that a "cartridge" for a WR Monkey Tail .450-bore rifled musket?

Less that 40 years later John Rigby had established the perfect ballistics for the .458 WIN.
Below, restored by Westley Richards, is a Special .450 Rigby, or .450 S. Rigby,
named before the "Nitro Express" label existed:
.458/480-grain coated-steel FMJ "solid" with a nice hemispherical nose shape, propelled by 70 grains of Cordite.

https://www.theexplora.com/category/guns_and_rifles/

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
After 1889, the 1872 patent rights on the Farquharson action, owned by Gibbs, expired.
Rigby and Jeffery made a lot of Farquharson actioned rifles after that.
The first ever Nitro Express cartridge by a few months was a Farquharson .400 S. Jeffery by W. Jackman Jeffery. It survived proof first time out.
John Rigby's .450 S. Rigby Double rifle took a few months longer to develop, since four sets of double-rifle barrels were blown before the fifth set survived proof.

After the Farquharson action patent expired, John F. had to go back to poaching rabbits, and stewing his rabbits with the turnip shavings from his firearms patent R&D efforts,
which never again produced anything worthwhile.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably a useful bullet for the .458 WIN and .45-100 SWT:

tu2
Rip ...

Looks like a smokeless bullet with pretty narrow grease grooves.
This one is very similar to a bullet I use in my Westleys.
RCBS 57922
Very close but the 57922 has a bottom groove of about double width for more lube.
Its supposed to be .468" for Martini Henry rifles but mine drops smaller than that and sized to .461" they work great in my Westley Richards 1869 500/450 No.1 Express with black powder.

The bullet you show would likely work right out of the mold.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
After 1889, the 1872 patent rights on the Farquharson action, owned by Gibbs, expired.
Rigby and Jeffery made a lot of Farquharson actioned rifles after that.
The first ever Nitro Express cartridge by a few months was a Farquharson .400 S. Jeffery by W. Jackman Jeffery. It survived proof first time out.
John Rigby's .450 S. Rigby Double rifle took a few months longer to develop, since four sets of double-rifle barrels were blown before the fifth set survived proof.

After the Farquharson action patent expired, John F. had to go back to poaching rabbits, and stewing his rabbits with the turnip shavings from his firearms patent R&D efforts,
which never again produced anything worthwhile.
tu2
Rip ...

Though it was early days in the meeting of smokeless powder and modern steel, it surprises me that it was the barrels that gave way and not the relative weakness of break-action double rifles.

Were I a prospective buyer of a big-game rifle then, I would have thought twice before buying Rigby's .450, considering their getting only one out of five to survive proof. Presumably the early failures caused them to beef up the design, not just keep submitting rifles of the same specs until one survived.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Huvius,

Thanks for the input on the moulds.
Yes, the idea for the N.O.E. bullet is for smokeless, aye, either grease-lubed or powder-coat painted.
Sized to .461 right out of the mould would be nice. tu2
Of course after powder-coat painting they might be .462" and then get pushed through a .461" sizer to shine them up. tu2
No messing with the lighter Linotype to get the bigger diameter. tu2
In the heavier alloy I might get closer to a true 540-grainer of .461" diameter.
A mock .461 Gibbs #1 load for the .458 WIN/.45-100 SWT at about 1400 fps or faster if they shoot well.
They say heat-treated clip-on wheel weights are harder than Linotype and not brittle.

Selous might have killed the Big Five with something like that.
A little arsenic in the alloy for heat-treat hardening could have made the .461 Gibbs #1 a real "poison slinger" and not a flinch inducer.

And here is another mould I need:

Use it with soft lead, grease-groove lube and BP in a muzzle-loader, like these Pedersoli muzzle loaders:
Dixie Gun Works Volunteer Target Rifle
Parker Hale Volunteer Rifle
Mortimer Whitworth Rifle
Tryon "Creedmore" Target Rifle
Dixie/Pedersoli Gibbs Rifle-.451 Caliber

And then maybe I could paper-patch over the grooves of that bullet for use with duplexed BP in the .458 WIN/.45-100 SWT,
flat-based with a monkey-tail of paper.
More fun than a barrel of monkeys.
Hoping for accuracy good enough for barking squirrels.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Though it was early days in the meeting of smokeless powder and modern steel, it surprises me that it was the barrels that gave way and not the relative weakness of break-action double rifles.

Were I a prospective buyer of a big-game rifle then, I would have thought twice before buying Rigby's .450, considering their getting only one out of five to survive proof. Presumably the early failures caused them to beef up the design, not just keep submitting rifles of the same specs until one survived.

sambarman338,
Thanks for ringing THE MISSION bell. Wink
IIRC, Rigby was playing around with heavier barrel contours on the first "Special .450 Rigby" double rifle proof attempts,
but the barrel set (the fifth attempt) that finally passed proof did so only because of a newer, stronger steel alloy.
It was slimmer than some of the old-steel barrel sets that bulged or burst.
Rigby was well connected with the steel makers and cartridge makers, due to his government job overseeing the Enfield works
during the transition of the .303 from BP to Cordite loading.
Forced to retire in 1894 at age 65, he used his connections and experience to get stronger brass for his .450 S. Rigby experiments.
To make it all work in a double rifle, he had to get stronger steel too.

That transition period from BP Express to Nitro Express was indeed a "special" time.
The "Roaring Nineties" when sportsmen risked parts of their anatomy to help advance technology of firearms.
Gunmakers thanked them kindly as they took their money.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the evolution of the .458 WIN, the next step after the hexagonal .451-bore of Joseph Whitworth,
was the round .451-bore.
Grooves may have been .461" early on, twist 1:21".

However, this one whistles Dixie to me, with .451-bore, .458-groove, 6-groove, 1:21" twist:

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Huvius,

You might like this one.
I like it better than the N.O.E. mould, which is also not in stock.
From BACo:

461 Gibbs long range black powder muzzleloader cast bullet mold. .461" diameter 545 grain single cavity cast bullet mold designed for muzzle loaders. The bullet measures .461" daimeter and is 1.450" long.
∗∗∗All Buffalo Arms Co. cast bullet molds use Saeco mold handles item number SAE29000∗∗∗
.461" 545 Grain "Money" 1-Cavity Bullet Mould for 461 Gibbs Muzzle Loader
Please call us (208) 263-6953 if you would like to place this item on back order.
Sku: JIM461545M1
Availability: Out of stock
Manufacturer: Buffalo Arms Co.
$160.00

https://www.buffaloarms.com/46...e-loader-jim461545m1

I like the BACo. because it has a full diameter of .461" at start of ogive, tangent to start of first drive band.
The NOE ogive is only .451" at maximum then abruptly steps up to .461" at the first band.
BACo has 5 grease grooves instead of 4 on NOE.
Length of BACo is 1.45".
Length of NOE is 1.425".

That image from BACo is tiny.
If it does not blow up into legible:
Bullet length: 1.450" +/-
Ogive length/nose projection to start of first band: 0.733"
Base cylinder length/ maximum seating depth: 0.717"
Major diameter on the bands: 0.461"
Minor diameter between bands: 0.414"

Soft lead and grease-groove lubed for a Gibbs .461-bore muzzle loader.
Hard alloy and grease-groove lubed (or powder-coat painted and shined up with a .461" sizer) for the .458 WIN/.45-100 SWT with smokeless.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like same bullet except 0.450" diameter and 1.500" length with 0.750" nose projection:

.450" 545 Grain "Money" Mini-Grease Groove Cast Bullet Mould
Sku: JIM450545M1
Availability: In Stock
Manufacturer: Buffalo Arms Co.
$160.00
DESCRIPTION
This (is) another of the "Money" design bullet originally designed by Dan Theodore. 1.5" long with a .750" long nose. This mould is of the mini grease groove design to be used only when wiping between shots. The mini grease groove helps make this bullet even more streamline in shape for a flatter trajectory. Also an excellent choice for long range muzzleloaders.Used by the winner of the 2011 United States International Muzzleloading Team world championship in Bisley England.∗∗∗Uses Saeco Handles ∗∗∗
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

sambarman338,
Thanks for ringing THE MISSION bell. Wink
IIRC, Rigby was playing around with heavier barrel contours on the first "Special .450 Rigby" double rifle proof attempts,
but the barrel set (the fifth attempt) that finally passed proof did so only because of a newer, stronger steel alloy.
It was slimmer than some of the old-steel barrel sets that bulged or burst.
Rigby was well connected with the steel makers and cartridge makers, due to his government job overseeing the Enfield works
during the transition of the .303 from BP to Cordite loading.
Forced to retire in 1894 at age 65, he used his connections and experience to get stronger brass for his .450 S. Rigby experiments.
To make it all work in a double rifle, he had to get stronger steel too.

That transition period from BP Express to Nitro Express was indeed a "special" time.
The "Roaring Nineties" when sportsmen risked parts of their anatomy to help advance technology of firearms.
Gunmakers thanked them kindly as they took their money.
tu2
Rip ...

Yes, RIP, I do recall some of the puffs from other makers of the time regarding removal of air bubbles etc from the barrel steel (but can't remember the terminology used).

I guess the additional weight in NE rifles over the old BP ones relates to these trials by attrition, too, not just lifting it to make recoil less punishing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sambarman338,
IIRC, even the steels used in the earliest Nitro Express double rifles were not as good as the steels developed due to the World Wars advancements for artillery, etc.
"Krupp Stahl," etc.
Modern doubles like your Heym are stronger than the old antiques.

And on further reading of Paul Matthews, I have decided to use my grease-grooved, cast bullets, even if they are gas checked, for paper patching.

If for paper patch, use whatever alloy and size them down to .451" and then patch them up to .459", for smokeless powder or duplexed BP, whatever works best.
That means putting the gas check on and sizing it down too, before paper patching.
No cup base, but maybe a snipped off paper tail.

When the rain lets up I will go shoot the ones already loaded.
Then try some 540-grain, FN cast bullets from a SAECO 2-cavity mould, paper-patched, gas-checked.
Then a powder-coat-painted 540-grainer FN of hard alloy with gas check at 1400 fps and up.
Selous would not flinch with that when used on the Big Five.

tu2
Rip ...