posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
Baxter B.

500 Speer at from 3.60" to 3.625"
450 AF @ 3.53"
480 DGX @ 3.585
450 TSX @ 3.68"
405 Rem @ 3.256" (Reduced load at 2085 fps)
400 X @ 3.61"
300 TSX @ 3.327"

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

As edited above: none were crimped, not even the TSX's. But I usually employ a Lee Crimp Die. Still, being a single shot, crimping is sort of an un-needed luxury. Never has there been a problem with any of my single-shots.

Many thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
RIP; That makes sense. I did not consider too much tin affecting heat treating. As I have a bunch of wheel weights I will be using them up.
But, if I stumble upon some better components to make alloy from I'll snag them.

Bob, At first I couldn't figure out how you were getting that much powder in the case. Once you listed the lengths it all made good sense.
Thank you for posting your results.
That is impressive results with the 300 gr TSX. !!
That will blow a 4" diameter hole completely thru a bear. It's actually quite amazing.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
If you wheel weights are old then they are likely a great alloy for casting and heat treating. You can get from 12 to maybe 18 bhn. Perfect for hunting. Cast them to fit and find a load.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIP;

Again my apologies for adding the mundane to a fine thread on cast bullets for .458-caliber.

That is hilarious Bob! animal
Anything and everything, all is welcome, for THE MISSION!

But several years ago, I met a man at our range who was making his own cast bullets in .430 and .458 for his .44 Rem and .45-70. He invited me to give the .458s a try. I did, and was so impressed I purchased a bunch from him at 465gr. Later, I bought a couple more boxes in 465 and 470gr. I asked him to make them a bit harder for my use at about 1900 fps from my Marlin Classic (22") and NEF single-shot. I flattened a nice bear with one shot from the NEF. MV was 1900 +/-. They had grease grooves and a GC. Very accurate from either the Marlin or NEF at MOA. A little faster from the Marlin at 1939 fps. H335 was used in each. He later retired from Hydro Ontario (Nuclear Div.) and took 3000 lbs of lead ingots with him that were rejects at the plant. They gave them to him when he moved back to Saskatchewan and started a business: MT Chambers Supply. I must contact him to find out his formula.

It would be nice indeed if my 540-ish-grain cruiser can do 1900 fps accurately.
Elmer would approve.

Mundane stuff:

There he goes again! rotflmo

2 days ago at the range firing some 500gr Speer GS, 480 DGX, 450 TSX, etc. Powders were H4895, AA2230, H335, RL-15, H4198 and AA1680.

82 grns H4895 = 2312 fps (500 Speer) Absolute max in volume, lightly compressed. Remington brass (nearly new)
77 grns AA2230 = 2311 fps (500 Speer) a bit too hot, but safe. Remington brass.
84 grns H335 = 2403 fps (450 AF) Same as previous test using Win brass. 85 grns actually was slower by about 50 fps.
79 grns AA2230 = 2402 fps (450 TSX) first time to pass 2400 with the 450 TSX. Max. Rem brass
82 grns H4895 = 2353 fps/5900 ft-lbs (480 DGX) Rem brass. Best yet with that bullet. Phil Shoemaker recently killed a monster Cape buff with a 500 DGX using "Ole Ugly". One and done.

Far from "mundane." I trust your data like my own.
My results have been mirror-like reflections of yours, mostly,
any differences explainable by many factors, all making sense.

The next two are VERY interesting:

400gr Barnes X-Bullet (Original) over 78 grns H4198 = 2590 fps/5957 ft-lbs at MV, over 3800 ft-lbs at 300 yds and nearly 2800 ft-lbs at 500 yards. It shoots as flat as a .308 Win firing a 180gr. Its BC is .457, or thereabouts according to Barnes. I still have a few. I wish they still made it. COL was 3.61". Phil Shoemaker loved that bullet and lamented its loss.

Interesting indeed! Finn Aagaard also found that bullet exceptional on his artificial media tests for penetration.
I have a few of them that I save like hardrock candy for looking at.

300gr TSX over 83 grns AA1680 = 2856 fps. Seated to bottom cannelure. Not max, and I think 2900 fps might be safe. But it looses speed quickly.

HUBBA HUBBA!! Something else for me to try to duplicate!

The last two (400 and 300) were the result of very careful calculations.

Rem brass and WLRM primers used throughout. MVs corrected to muzzle. None of the bullets were crimped, including the TSX's.

For THE MISSION.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

I'll be using Hornady brass and F215 and/or WLRM primers, and all of my loads are crimped,
even the jacketed ones,
even if I have to make a new cannelure with the CH4D Canntool.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF and Fury01,

Yep, the old clip-on wheel weights are "golden."
I got started late at casting and got some of the new trash in my melting pot out of ignorance.
Produced all kinds of rainbow colors floating on the top of the pot.
I have bought supposedly good WW ingots at a gunshow,
got 30 pounds of that in one score,
saving it for something special.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
BaxterB,

Thanks for getting Bob to sort out the COLs.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reduced loads:

one of us
posted Hide Post
A work-up to heavier loads:

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Baxter B.

500 Speer at from 3.60" to 3.625"
450 AF @ 3.53"
480 DGX @ 3.585
450 TSX @ 3.68"
405 Rem @ 3.256" (Reduced load at 2085 fps)
400 X @ 3.61"
300 TSX @ 3.327"

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

As edited above: none were crimped, not even the TSX's. But I usually employ a Lee Crimp Die. Still, being a single shot, crimping is sort of an un-needed luxury. Never has there been a problem with any of my single-shots.

Just to clarify a couple of things:

The 500gr Speer GS is longer than the 500gr Hornady by 0.055" which explains why their COL was longer than the 500gr Hornady loads by that amount since both were seated to the same depth.

Not crimping the loads: I usually use the Lee Crimp die, even for crimping into the TSX bullets. It doesn't make much of an impression on the tough bullets, but when some of those kind have been "pulled" for one reason or another, I do see an "imprint" at where the Lee crimp die made an impression. On softer bullets (pure copper and pure lead), there is a definite, but slight, groove made.

I wanted to see if not crimping any of the bullets affected start pressure. It didn't appear to. I use RCBS dies that leave the necks of .458 brass very tight when seating any bullet. And I never use the die for belling the mouth of the cases. These are excellent dies, and the seating die suits pointed bullets, RN or flat tip... they all go in straight. The case has a good grip on the shank of the bullets.

For a hunting load in a magazine rifle, I'd want either a cannelure to crimp into, or a compressed load (or both). I believe it is in Bob Hagel's book, "Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter", where he claimed, after much testing, that he never found a cannelure to be necessary IF neck tension was adequate and the load was slightly compressed. And, as we know, he was shooting some heavy loads most of the time. My experience generally confirms that.

However, for one reason or another (such as a ball powder in the .458), the load may NOT be 100% load density, or more, so one must have a good crimp in a magazine rifle, for the obvious reasons.

But, I've satisfied myself, at least to this point, that crimping of the loads I've developed for the Ruger #1 in .458 doesn't necessarily add a higher starting pressure, or a more consistent one.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Gotcha.
Makes total good sense.
I use RCBS .458 WIN dies too, and Lee, and Redding, and Hornady. All have their uses,
but to simplify,
yes, RCBS full set and a Lee Factory Crimp die.
Add appropriate seater plug for any pointy bullets,
and you are the Master of the .458 WIN.
Or it has mastered you.

I do not have to bell or flare the case mouths either, as long as I stay away from the paper-patched bullets.
I am setting aside cases for BP and paper-patch only, and will keep them properly annealed.
Not gonna overwork the necks of my smokeless brass.
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to the wheel weight thing.
I've only had a few casting sessions myself so far.
What I've done is . Get a pail of wheel weights from a tire shop. Sit down with several empty coffee cans and a pair of dykes, wire cutters.
Every weight that goes into the keeper cans gets a good squeeze with the dykes. If they cut into the weight , I toss them in with the keepers. If all they are hard to get any kind of depth of cut in. I toss them in the rejects can. Those are the zinc ones. Then the synthetic and steel ones get to be easy to spot. They also end up in the landfill. I was really paranoid of wasting a good pot of lead with a zinc weight so I took the time .
I've gotten so I can spot most of the zinc , steel and synthetic weights without the dyke test. But I still sort them 1 at a time.
I get a kick out of making boolits for cheap. I guess its from shooting lots of 416, 458 and 510 dia premium bullets at a buck or 2 a piece.

I need to get with the program and order some powder coating supplies.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For comparative purposes and interest's sake, on behalf of those whose .458 magazine may only allow SAAMI COL @ 3.34", here are some results from Sept./'09 through my CZ550 with a 25" barrel. This was done with the purpose of demonstrating that the .458 Win is no slouch, when handloaded, at 3.34" COL. All are from the 500gr Hornady RN Interloc; WW brass and WLRM primers; corrected to MV:

78 grns H335 = 2204 fps (I expected 2200). Note at the time: "mild"
80 grns AA2460 = 2206 fps (2200 expected). Note : "mild"
78 grns IMR4320 = 2161 fps (2140 expected). Note: "normal"
78 grns Varget = 2154 fps (2175 expected). Note: "normal"
83 grns W748 = 2076 fps (2200 expected). Note: "mild"- I was very surprised with that result. But it helped me understand why factory Win ammo gave such poor results from a 22"; often less than 2000 fps.

I was unable to obtain a can of AA2230 until 2010.

The Hodgdon manual (No.27) gives this result from 75.5 grns H335 from a 24" barrel and the 500gr Hor RN:
= 2163 fps @ 50,300 cup.

50,300 cup is (according to Accurate Arms Powder manual) = 59,354 psi. If we grant the .458 Winchester the same psi as the Lott at 62,500 psi, then "mild" for my load in September, 2009, was a just comment.

I welcome any comments here or at www.4570fan@Gmail.com

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF,

Ironic that you taught me about hBN, and now I can make some suggestions to you about PCP.
Good and cheap:
Harbor Freight Red powder-coat paint
Airsoft plastic BBs (black, 0.25 gram)
a one-pint plastic container of recycle-class 5, with a tightly closing lid, rescued from the trash
a silicone cookie baking tray from Target or Walmart (they are good to 450*F only)
Any questions?
tu2
Rip ...

a metal baking sheet to go under

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For comparative purposes and interest's sake, on behalf of those whose .458 magazine may only allow SAAMI COL @ 3.34",

Hey, a 500-grain 458 bullet of proper construction at 2100 to 2200 fps will make a bloody big hole through any critter.
No excuses needed for 3.34" COL per SAAMI.
The only failure will be due to bad shot placement, human error.

here are some results from Sept./'09 through my CZ550 with a 25" barrel. This was done with the purpose of demonstrating that the .458 Win is no slouch, when handloaded, at 3.34" COL. All are from the 500gr Hornady RN Interloc; WW brass and WLRM primers; corrected to MV:

78 grns H335 = 2204 fps (I expected 2200). Note at the time: "mild"
80 grns AA2460 = 2206 fps (2200 expected). Note : "mild"

Great to know of such results with AA-2460. I have not tried it until now.
I just finished loading some .458 WIN LongCOL with AA-2460 and H4895, 15 rounds with each.
AA-2460 does occupy slightly less space than H4895 for the same number of grains.

78 grns IMR4320 = 2161 fps (2140 expected). Note: "normal"
78 grns Varget = 2154 fps (2175 expected). Note: "normal"
83 grns W748 = 2076 fps (2200 expected). Note: "mild"- I was very surprised with that result. But it helped me understand why factory Win ammo gave such poor results from a 22"; often less than 2000 fps.

Ditto poor results with WIN-748, long ago. I'd use it for the Thutty-thutty only now.

I was unable to obtain a can of AA2230 until 2010.

AA-2230 and AA-2460 are said to have been reformulated in 2016 for better TBI.

The Hodgdon manual (No.27) gives this result from 75.5 grns H335 from a 24" barrel and the 500gr Hor RN:
= 2163 fps @ 50,300 cup.

50,300 cup is (according to Accurate Arms Powder manual) = 59,354 psi. If we grant the .458 Winchester the same psi as the Lott at 62,500 psi,

Amen!

then "mild" for my load in September, 2009, was a just comment.

I welcome any comments here or at www.4570fan@Gmail.com

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Thanks for more great data, for THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
CTF,

Ironic that you taught me about hBN, and now I can make some suggestions to you about PCP.
Good and cheap:
Harbor Freight Red powder-coat paint
Airsoft plastic BBs (black, 0.25 gram)
a one-pint plastic container of recycle-class 5, with a tightly closing lid, rescued from the trash
a silicone cookie baking tray from Target or Walmart (they are good to 450*F only)
Any questions?
tu2
Rip ...

a metal baking sheet to go under

beer

I'm sure I will have several questions.
Planning on starting this winter. Gotta move and build a house this summer. Actually. Logging and milling the lumber now. Gotta move and build next and have it buttoned up by freeze up.
Busy busy busy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

[url=https://ibb.co/mHdqrbL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Gotta do it the Alaskan way ya know

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Alaska: America’s strategic reserve of self reliance. Much respect.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That house-building sounds interesting, CTF. When I can't sleep I sometimes imagine myself building a log cabin.

Sorry to have neglected this forum for the past couple of weeks, being in the Northern Territory trying to shoot buffalo. Finally got one but had to shoot at something beyond 100 yards (the 1/10th" bead seemed to cover most of the critter so I suspect distances can be deceptive on the flats sometimes). My host said I had blood coming out of its nose but I have to thank my mate for opening up with a .416 - maybe If I'd got that 458 WM I missed out on and put a scope on it ...

Posts: 4974 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Irons a cool. But an optic makes things easier. .
1/10" , that's a pretty big bead.

One thing Ill say about doing a house the way I am. Will sure show a guy his weaknesses. Or his age .
But. I've always planned on doing it this way.
Fall, limb and buck the timber.
Log it,
Mill all the dimensional lumber.
Build our home from the ground up.
When it is complete. The whole place will be sent free. So that's a blessing. Just a lotta work.

Back to the 458 Win mag.
If this was where I used to live. The Spruce King would be in a open top gun rack . On the handle bars of the 4 wheeler.
Being in the Interior. I'm wearing my shortened barrel 480 SRH.

As a side note question, ? What works good for scrubbing lead out of barrels? I managed to lead up the 480's barrel and haven't got it all out yet. Its being stubborn.
Thanks.

Mission Support !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sambarman; what were you shooting buffalo with ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF,

Congrats on the construction project.
Hope it looks like a Cabela's with a green metal roof. tu2
I just had 163 feet of 8' tall cedar plank fence installed along one side of my back yard.
I might finish the rest of the yard myself.
Building a wall to make my back yard great again.
Then of course I need a log cabin in the middle of it, with a green metal roof.
200 square feet of ground floor per building is all that code allows in my backyard,
so I might need two of them, with lofts, and green metal roofs, of course.

Some leading in your 480 SRH barrel, eh?
Shooter's Choice "Lead Remover" or Shooter's choice "MC #7 Firearms Bore Cleaner" on patches and on a tight-fitting phosphor/bronze/copper bristle brush:
Wet patch x 2
Wet brush x 10 back and forth strokes
Wet patch x 3
Dry patch.
Inspect bore.
Repeat above if any lead streaks remain.

Powder-coat-painting of cast lead bullets greatly reduces lead-fouling of the bore.
I need to try some of my .476/525-grain FN-GC Red Death bullets in my 480 RBH.
Subsonic with that bullet would be fun.
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
sambarman338,

Congrats to you too, on success at water buffalo.
Ol' Bubalis bubalis does have a tendency to bleed from the nose when mortally wounded by a chest shot.
Your rifle was the 450/400 NE 3" DR from Heym, eh?
Good as that rifle is,
yes, iron sights with a huge bead at long range is a bit annoying for a hunter and the buffalo.
You annoyed that buffalo very thoroughly. Well done.

My first on a farm in KY just stopped in its tracks and bled from the nose after a 460 Weatherby 500gr RNSP (old factory load) exploded in its lungs at 25 yards.
I had to get my .375 H&H featherweight from my gunbearer, Lemuel, and shoot it in the neck to get it to go down.

Second one I shot at a game farm in Tennessee with a .416 Rigby at 150 yards.
It proceeded to walk in tight circles until I walked up to within 50 yards to shoot it again.

If you do not break big bone or spine or brain with that first shot, they will generally require some more shooting before they will go down,
whatever the caliber.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Sambarman; what were you shooting buffalo with ?

I was using my Heym 88PH (the funeral grade) in .450/.400, bought because it was the only calibre Heym had on hand when I was headed for Africa 10 years ago. The cartridge was the Hornady 400-grain DGS tropical load. I was using the solids because their softs seemed to open up a bit quick in a couple of scrub cattle-beasts I'd shot earlier in the trip.

I've just put a mike on that bead and it is within a thou of 1/10th inch. It also has a spherical back edge that may have flared in the late afternoon sun from my left (risking shooting off laterally). You may be right, though - it is a large bead, at least compared with the one on my Miroku M86, which has a flat-face of only 0.065". My companions estimated the distance to be 100 yards yet that would indicate a bead coverage of only 10 inches on a critter, which I believe was facing me, about a yard wide.

Perhaps because of flaring on the brass, the impression I got was that the bead covered at least two-thirds of the buff's width. As a compromise between the apparent distance and that perception, I reckon the buff may have been about 130 yards away, still a long shot with express sights. I was even tempted to flip up the second, U-notch leaf but thought that might be meant for 200 yards.

Posts: 4974 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP; thank you for the cleaning advice . . When I get to Delta I will pickup some of that cleaning fluid . The stuff I have on hand works good on copper but not so good on lead.
This winter I would like to know more about that Mega bullet ! Wow, I never heard of one that big !

Sambarman;
One of the big reasons I prefer an optic is the sun. It is always rather low in the sky as I'm at a relatively high latitude. Seems to always be a shadow on one side of the bead or other. Had that forcefully proven to myself trying to figure out why my shooting was so far off one bright sunny day . When the day before ( raining steadily I had been spot on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF,

Yep, noticed Wipe-Out was no good with lead too.
And side-sun rays do play havoc with iron sights!

Here is a styling suggestion for your new abode:

Did I say green metal roofs make a house into a lovely home?
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.cartridgecollector.net/content/home

http://www.cartridgecollector....58-winchester-magnum

Headstamps said to be prototype .458 WIN:

"3 Prototype loadings for the 458 Win Mag. The 2 no h/s variations are both early Winchester"

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delta is farm/ranch country. And since I really like them I will probably go with a Gambrel roof. Next year the house will get Skyline(Snap Lock ) green metal roofing. This year it will get green rolled roofing.
Gotta keep everything in balance.
Woodshed will get brown metal roof first year. Actually it will be half woodshed and half equipment shed/lumber drying shed. I'll be able to mill lumber through out the winter. This years camp house will become guest cottage when the house house is finished. Lots of lumber needed, hence the sawmill.

Thanks for posting up the pics. I see the A-Square versions there.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://www.cartridgecollector.net/content/home

http://www.cartridgecollector....58-winchester-magnum

Headstamps said to be prototype .458 WIN:

"3 Prototype loadings for the 458 Win Mag. The 2 no h/s variations are both early Winchester"

tu2
Rip ...

What's the story regarding the exploding bullet at the bottom? Would it just be a primer?

one of us
posted Hide Post
sambarman338,

Yep, just a primer in the nose of a hollow point: homer

Good news.
AA-2460 78.0 grains with the 543-grain FN-GC-PCP-HT gave 2265 fps from the 25" Shilen barrel of Bobbarrella today.
That is 5-yard instrumental velocity.

75.0 grains of AA-2460 gave 2190 fps (average for 3 -shots) so it ought to be right about 2200 fps MV.
And it was most accurate.
Almost a cloverleaf.
It has potential.

Velocity with H4895 78.0 grains was 2212 fps instrumental, 3-shot average.
Accuracy not as good.

2200 fps and decent accuracy is a winner with a cast bullet.
More later after chores.
I'll milk this some more, for THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Looks nice, RIP, and would be even prettier with a primer in the nose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
yuck
Shredded card wads flying behind the bullet
do confuse a chronograph.
The 45-100 SWT was aborted today.
It will just have to be about 2 grains
bigger than the .458 WIN and use a wee bit
more powder to compensate.
I will have to pull the ones loaded with
cardboard wads.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
No need to pull those Rip. Surely you have an old stump that needs shot.
AA 2460 sounds like a good choice. Amazing that the under sized 458wm case can throw a 540+ grain bullet at 2200 FPS. Who knew?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury01,

Yep, who'd a thunk it! Wink
You did tell me that cast bullets could be made to shoot in the .458 WIN, thanks.

That AA-2460 load of 75.0 grains was only an 89% volumetric fill at that LongCOL of 3.600".
Nice, rounded primers, no pressure signs.
(75.0 grains of H4895 is a 99% fill).
Due to its size and nose shape, the bullet was almost touching the lands.

I might be able to shorten the COL to 3.340" and get same velocity with less powder.
Accuracy might get better too, if I wasn't shooting with a 1-4x24mm scope with a 2-MOA illuminated dot reticle.
My best load was equivalent to 1.7 MOA for three shots at 50 yards, with a dot bigger than the group, so I am hopeful.
I also did not make use of the set-trigger function on the CZ, Bobbarrella, which I will do next time.
For THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
My excuse for not quibbling about accuracy with cast bullets, yet:

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is the scope that Cold Trigger Finger recommended.
It is like a headsup display in a jet fighter.
And the reticle still illuminates. hilbily
Clicks are precise and 350 MOA windage and elevation is there.
Better than any iron sight.
You will be hard pressed to find a clearer and quicker 2-MOA combat shooter scope.

The 3-9x40 Nikon shotgun scope and set-trigger use will surely shrink the groups.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
What I am making excuses for, is that this was my best 3-shot group yesterday:

The fouling shot went high, the next two were trying to get together, and lower, 2160 fps average for 3 shots.

The second 3 shots were at higher instrumental velocity (2190 fps) and shot to lower POI still.
There are those that refuse to believe the faster bullet may shoot lower, but it may happen. Wink
Same POA, no scope adjustment.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My excuse for not quibbling about accuracy with cast bullets, yet:

That looks beautiful RIP ! Doesn't protrude aft of the cocking piece by much .
How do you like the scope overall? How is the eye box ? I like how it sets on the CZ using the Seyfried Schick bases !!
How is the eye relief on 4 power ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
A whippy barrel may start shooting higher with the next step up in charge, and then shoot lower again as the charge is increased further.
Then maybe jump up to a different elevation plateau and maybe show windage changing as the powder charge increases further, etc.
Accuracy nodes and barrel harmonics/vibrations/sinusoids in addition to barrel time of the bullet and barrel rise from recoil impulse?