Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
HUVIUS,
My .458WM was delivered to me in SW Colorado in about 1983 or so and was fed a steady diet of 500 grain Hornady solids as I learned to love it. If you think that Colorado was great in the 90's, you should have seen it in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's! ...

You have been romancing the .458 WIN for a year longer than I have. I'm jealous.

Where I live now we have hundreds of Wind Generator towers. The insiders tell us that they will just pay for their cost about a week after they wear out. All that Electronics and Tower were created with the only real renewable Fuel; that being the carbon based Fossil Fuels ...

Wow. Those damn wind turbines are spookier than ever now that I know that.
Driving through there at night for the first time it scared the hell out of me, seeing all those red lights glowing from horizon to horizon !
I thought War of the Worlds was happening, alien invaders had arrived !

As long as we have the mighty .458WM we can keep turning Carbon based animals into future fossils can we not? Smiler

... Does anybody out there know how to renew the Sun? Didn't think so.

Good one !

... Tesla ...

Nikola Tesla did some early research near Colorado Springs. Went to Colorado for the wide open spaces, privacy, and clean air maybe ?
Nowadays if he let loose a lightning bolt around there he would wipe out a crowd of stoners. Not a bad idea.

There; two solid .458WM references and some truth, all for The Mission!

Buy a buy a donkey !
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
the rich got richer and the poor got the picture.

Is that a common Aussie saying or you a Midnight Oil fan?

I "Read About It."
animal

Unfortunately, here in CO the population explosion has put a huge demand on the utilities, roads, water and environment.
We have the infamous "Brown Cloud" back

How much of that is marijuana smoke ?

thanks to too much development, too many people and cars and shitty infrastructure.
Some high country terrain and lakes have had to be closed due to too many imported assholes tromping through the wilderness with no concern.

I won't be back.

I guess there is a 458WM correlation there somewhere...

EXCELLENT:

Take what works, has always worked, and rather than pitching it out the window, apply a little new thought like RIP's modified monos and modern powders to make a thoroughly modern and even more capable platform.

Buy a donkey for those flowers.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
Personally, I think the climate change discussion should be taken to the political forum and not further derail the 458 thread.

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back to normal transmission...

I am still having feeding problems with my converted CZ550. Its taken a little longer as my smith has been incapacitated due to a car accident.

Sorry to hear that.

If you recall my rifle started life as a 375, as all LH CZ550’s do. While the mag boxes are different, ribbed in the case of the 375 and smooth in the case of the 458,

The non-ribbed ones marked "458WM" do seem to work better for the .458 Win.Mag.

there are differences in the actions as well. A section needed to be milled from the front of the 375 action.

OH ? Where (more specificallY) was that milling done in the "front" of the .375 H&H action, and why ?

Also even the longest 458 loading I’m likely to ever use swims in the oversized mag box. This is definitely not a good thing.

COL of 3.780" with 500-grain TSX works great, aye, but not a practical hunting bullet in any .458.

I have spoken to a few smiths about this including CZ550 guru, Wayne Jacobson at AHR. He has been extremely helpful. In his opinion the 458WM is the most troublesome round to get to feed properly in a CZ550. The action is simply too long. In his opinion I should either ream out the chamber to 458 Lott or block the mag at the front. At this stage I have chosen to have the mag blocked at the front and will see how that goes.

If you have not reinforced the front of the sheet metal box, do so.
You can do it on the inside of the box instead of the outside.
At least a 0.100" thickness of good steel with the top edge of it blending into the feed ramp.
This should make for better feeding of the biggest FN meplats.

I have also ordered another 458 mag box and a stiffer mag spring. Apparently the 416 Rigby versions use a stiffer spring.

Good luck trying stiffer follower springs, maybe try a different follower too.

It’s fine to talk about using minimal bullet shank crimped to take advantage of the long throat and mag box, but I personally don’t feel comfortable using ammo loaded to the extreme of the mag box.

Well, many of us just love it. But I will admit that when I found out that the 500-grain TSX might be too long a bullet to be stable after impact, I gravitated toward the .458 WIN in a 3.6" box.

At the risk of being thrown out of the 458WM fan club, if the blocked mag box doesn’t improve the feeding, then the chamber will be reamed out to 458 Lott.

No worries MIGHT !
Since you might have to fix a faulty feeder that way, you will not be expelled.
Lefties get special dispensation.
You may well end up with a .458 Lott like Jack Built. Not a bad thing.

Just be sure you use the one and only SAAMI specification .458 Lott reamer, or the latest, updated CIP reamer for the .458 Lott (same, same).
The old original CIP chambering was a botched job with a SAAMI .458 Win.Mag. throat tacked onto the end of the chamber for 2.8" brass.
With that throating even the CZ 550 Magnum magazine box length is too short.
You need a single shot to burn more powder for more recoil, for diminishing returns, with the old original CIP chamber.
Rechambering a .458 Win.Mag. with a reamer that did not touch the throat or belt recess,
just lengthened the brass accepting part of the chamber,
is how Jack Lott did it, and got better results.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Back to normal transmission...

I am still having feeding problems with my converted CZ550. Its taken a little longer as my smith has been incapacitated due to a car accident.

Sorry to hear that.

If you recall my rifle started life as a 375, as all LH CZ550’s do. While the mag boxes are different, ribbed in the case of the 375 and smooth in the case of the 458,

The non-ribbed ones marked "458WM" do seem to work better for the .458 Win.Mag.

there are differences in the actions as well. A section needed to be milled from the front of the 375 action.

OH ? Where (more specificallY) was that milling done in the "front" of the .375 H&H action, and why ?

I too was dubious when my smith suggested this was required. When I spoke to Wayne at AHR he confirmed that it was necessary.

My smith had done the work before I could examine what it looked like before the mod, but all the milling of the action was done to both front corners of the mag well.

Also even the longest 458 loading I’m likely to ever use swims in the oversized mag box. This is definitely not a good thing.

COL of 3.780" with 500-grain TSX works great, aye, but not a practical hunting bullet in any .458.

I have spoken to a few smiths about this including CZ550 guru, Wayne Jacobson at AHR. He has been extremely helpful. In his opinion the 458WM is the most troublesome round to get to feed properly in a CZ550. The action is simply too long. In his opinion I should either ream out the chamber to 458 Lott or block the mag at the front. At this stage I have chosen to have the mag blocked at the front and will see how that goes.

If you have not reinforced the front of the sheet metal box, do so.
You can do it on the inside of the box instead of the outside.
At least a 0.100" thickness of good steel with the top edge of it blending into the feed ramp.
This should make for better feeding of the biggest FN meplats.

This is exactly what will be done. A solid steel block will be silver soldered inside the front of the mag box and the top will then blended in with the feed ramp. I specified a mag length of 3.65”. This will still be ample for my needs. It will have the added advantage of better containing the follower and preventing it from being able to move around excessively.

I have also ordered another 458 mag box and a stiffer mag spring. Apparently the 416 Rigby versions use a stiffer spring.

Good luck trying stiffer follower springs, maybe try a different follower too.

I have another follower ordered as well. Just in case!

It’s fine to talk about using minimal bullet shank crimped to take advantage of the long throat and mag box, but I personally don’t feel comfortable using ammo loaded to the extreme of the mag box.

Well, many of us just love it. But I will admit that when I found out that the 500-grain TSX might be too long a bullet to be stable after impact, I gravitated toward the .458 WIN in a 3.6" box.

Yes, I totally agree. The CZ550 is really too long for the 458WM.

At the risk of being thrown out of the 458WM fan club, if the blocked mag box doesn’t improve the feeding, then the chamber will be reamed out to 458 Lott.

No worries MIGHT !
Since you might have to fix a faulty feeder that way, you will not be expelled.
Lefties get special dispensation.
You may well end up with a .458 Lott like Jack Built. Not a bad thing.

Just be sure you use the one and only SAAMI specification .458 Lott reamer, or the latest, updated CIP reamer for the .458 Lott (same, same).
The old original CIP chambering was a botched job with a SAAMI .458 Win.Mag. throat tacked onto the end of the chamber for 2.8" brass.
With that throating even the CZ 550 Magnum magazine box length is too short.
You need a single shot to burn more powder for more recoil, for diminishing returns, with the old original CIP chamber.
Rechambering a .458 Win.Mag. with a reamer that did not touch the throat or belt recess,
just lengthened the brass accepting part of the chamber,
is how Jack Lott did it, and got better results.
tu2
Rip ...

If I did have to ream out the chamber it will likely have a hybrid throat as part of the long 458WM throat will remain. I’d like to avoid going down this route for this reason.

Personally I think there are advantages in going down the 458 Lott route in a CZ550. For starters there’s the mag length issue. I don’t think you really need the extra power, a 500gr pill at 2150fps has always worked fine. The longer case just allows lower pressures and takes up some of that huge mag length.

The other benefit is higher velocity with lighter pills (eg 350 TSX or 400 gr Woodleigh) while seating the pills at their design seating depth.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t think you really need the extra power, a 500gr pill at 2150fps has always worked fine. The longer case just allows lower pressures and takes up some of that huge mag length.

I got 2275fps with all my Lott's using H4895.It's a hard on the cases but works fine-besides those are hunting loads only.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
quote:
the rich got richer and the poor got the picture.

Is that a common Aussie saying or you a Midnight Oil fan?

Renewable energy is fine but here in the US it is vastly more expensive to produce than fossil fuel and surely the feel good crowd driving their Teslas are using far more electricity than the solar farms and windmills produce so in essence it is a false premise from the start.

I'm for the "just use less energy" approach rather than the "eliminate fossil fuels" approach.
If you don't have to drive, don't. Turn the thermostat down and wear a sweater. Cook meals at home. Use less water. That sort of thing.

Unfortunately, here in CO the population explosion has put a huge demand on the utilities, roads, water and environment.
We have the infamous "Brown Cloud" back thanks to too much development, too many people and cars and shitty infrastructure.
Some high country terrain and lakes have had to be closed due to too many imported assholes tromping through the wilderness with no concern.
Life was really good here in the '90s...

I guess there is a 458WM correlation there somewhere...
Take what works, has always worked, and rather than pitching it out the window, apply a little new thought like RIP's modified monos and modern powders to make a thoroughly modern and even more capable platform.

Yes, Huvius, I am an Oils fan and happy to say it, though I was thinking it was a cliche that preceded that old song Ain't we got fun?, so well done! Though fracking can provide the cheap energy you mention, a lot of farmers and ranchers here swear it is the work of the devil, too, ruining aquifers etc.

I agree with your "use less energy" outlook, though, and try to walk to the shops for most of my groceries, grog and stuff.

I didn't know there were that many Teslas out there, though a/an Uber girl in San Diego picked us up in one last year. From an ecological point it is meaningless to charge an electric car with power not covered by renewable generation. So, if the power companies undertake to sell 'green' energy, they should be legally obliged to produce at least as much as they accept the premiums to supply. The main question I see is where will the money come from to maintain the roads?

Thinking of cliches, Mike, Victoria is compared with Massachusetts, not California. That said, though Vic is the smallest mainland state, it has long had the best deer hunting and most-sensible hunting laws - not to mention the coolest weather Cool

(For those in foreign parts wondering about NSW Mike's animosity, New South Welshmen come down from convicts and rum mutineers and like to play catch-me-....-me, while Victorians are descended from free men and invented the truly exciting, national football code, Australian Rules. Protectionist trade policies made Victoria the centre of manufacturing, while NSW's squatocracy insisted on free trade to help flog their wool - dunno what the common people did, probably had jobs as flunkies or were still in chains.)

If you think I'm a Greens supporter, Mike, I'm not. Not only are they anathema to our hunting inclinations but I blame them for the failure of the Rudd-Turnbull effort to create an ETS back in the noughties, and so destroyed the best timely chance of Australia combatting climate change - and, by humiliating Turnbull, kick-started Tony Abbott's crazy ride.

Apologies, Fury01, I must have confused you with the oil men. I admire your expression of faith. Hopefully, you're of the view that we should try to keep the world left to us in the best condition we can, not destroy it in hope of bringing on the Apocalypse as ISIS and certain 'Christian' politicians seem dedicated to doing.

Liberals? They're no friends of mine, CTF, and I didn't say anyone was unfit to govern themselves. Lowest-common-denominator issues should win elections and must do unless we start dismantling democracy by deciding which adults are fit to vote. I'm glad to say Australia has an independent national electoral commission that governs nearly everything concerned with administering Federal elections; no state governments making rules to disenfranchise the other side's voters or shifting boundaries, so I can't even blame Queensland's old gerrymanders. We did have a pork-barrelling scheme by the Government before the election, which may have had something to do with it, but maybe not in those areas. I do object to business donations governing party policies, though, and think funding elections from the public purse would be cheap, whatever it cost.

Yes, Todd, you started it, and I'm happy to let it go as soon as everyone else is, if not sooner, as long as you don't accuse me of cowardice.

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take it to the Political forum. Tons of activity there from both sides of the fucking climate bullshit argument.

End of fucking story.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
Take it to the Political forum. Tons of activity there from both sides of the fucking climate bullshit argument.

End of fucking story.

Where’s my “like” button...?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently acquired a .458 WM and hereby submit my application for membership in this august body of believers. Shooting factory Hornaday's to get sighted in and have some fun. Taking it hog hunting this weekend. Maybe I'm getting punch drunk in my old age but so far it feels about the same as shooting my light 30-06. I have to say I'm really enjoying the rifle.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kevin henderson:
I recently acquired a .458 WM and hereby submit my application for membership in this august body of believers. Shooting factory Hornaday's to get sighted in and have some fun. Taking it hog hunting this weekend. Maybe I'm getting punch drunk in my old age but so far it feels about the same as shooting my light 30-06. I have to say I'm really enjoying the rifle.

kh

Welcome Brother!! Lot's to learn about your new love in the prior 184 pages of posts! Let us know how to help!
Fury01

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
kh

I just made a deal on one today. 4 years ago I bought 250 rds of brass at .25c, two years ago I bought 90 Barnes FN 450gr Solids for .50c each. I supposed it’s taken me long enough to get something to shoot them both.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I did have to ream out the chamber it will likely have a hybrid throat as part of the long 458WM throat will remain. I’d like to avoid going down this route for this reason.

Personally I think there are advantages in going down the 458 Lott route in a CZ550. For starters there’s the mag length issue. I don’t think you really need the extra power, a 500gr pill at 2150fps has always worked fine. The longer case just allows lower pressures and takes up some of that huge mag length.

You can do 50 fps more with the 500-grainers using a higher pressure and 3.600" COL in the SAAMI .458 Lott.
That is compared to a SAAMI .458 Win.Mag. with 3.340" COL and lower pressure by 2,500 PSI.
You neglect to account for throat effects ?
At 3.600" COL and same pressure, the .458 WIN-V 3.6" easily outperforms the SAAMI .458 Lott.
Use 2.8" brass with the unaltered SAAMI .458 Win.Mag. throat ending at same distance from breech face, and you can equal the .458 WIN-V 3.6"
with the re-throated .458 Lott,
the .458 Lott like Jack built, his wildcat.

The other benefit is higher velocity with lighter pills (eg 350 TSX or 400 gr Woodleigh) while seating the pills at their design seating depth.

True, but an easy 2750 fps with the 350-grain TSX and the 2.5" case is plenty, using a COL just over 3.4".

The 400-gr Woodleigh PP-SN has recommended impact velocity of 1900 to 2500 fps.
The .458 WIN-V 3.4" will do +2500 fps at less than 3.4" COL, whether in my 23" or 25" barrels.
Better use the 400-grain Woodleigh HYDRO if you want to go faster than 2500 fps.

But the long-leade throat will work on either 2.5" brass or 2.8" brass to beat a SAAMI .458 Lott with the heavier bullets.

It sounds like the work on the front of the action was on the rails, routine.

Your opinion of the "hybrid" throat is shockingly naive !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a detail-guide to the full length drawing to follow, a re-hash for THE MISSION, since there are still a few Lottites out there,
who do not know that Jack Lott designed his .458 Lott utilizing the SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum chamber,
lengthened only to accept 2.8" brass,
and merge it into the existing throat, throat untouched, throat unchanged:

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
I don’t think you really need the extra power, a 500gr pill at 2150fps has always worked fine. The longer case just allows lower pressures and takes up some of that huge mag length.

I got 2275fps with all my Lott's using H4895.It's a hard on the cases but works fine-besides those are hunting loads only.

If shootaway has a SAAMI .458 Lott (short throat) and a 24"-25" barrel, he was likely over 62,500 psi.
A .458 WIN-V 3.6" doing the same velocity with same bullet and powder and barrel length would be doing it at lower pressure.
Or it would do same pressure with higher velocity, even if it did require an increase of charge to do so.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most excellent:

quote:
kh

Like Fury01 said, if you need any pointers just ask.
Another wise man with a .458 WIN.
Never let her go.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
kh

I just made a deal on one today. 4 years ago I bought 250 rds of brass at .25c, two years ago I bought 90 Barnes FN 450gr Solids for .50c each. I supposed it’s taken me long enough to get something to shoot them both.

BaxterB and kevin henderson,

Anything you can share about your new .458 WIN rifles would be greatly appreciated, for THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP - I stand corrected on the hybrid throat remark. I didn’t work it all out but I had thought there was a bit of overlap in the throating. It appears not. Thanks for your detailed explanation.

Hopefully I’ll get the rifle to feed 458WM properly and avoid having to find out.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
quote:
kh

BaxterB and kevin henderson,

Anything you can share about your new .458 WIN rifles would be greatly appreciated, for THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

In due time...I want to get it in hand and make sure it’s all I expect first.

In the meantime, what page here has the loads for 450gr TSxs @2250 and 480 Woodleighs @2150, uncompressed and at standard oal?

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...003651870?pid=329460

For somebody who has a magnum action Mauser that just Needs to be a .458WM!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIP - I stand corrected on the hybrid throat remark. I didn’t work it all out but I had thought there was a bit of overlap in the throating. It appears not. Thanks for your detailed explanation.

Hopefully I’ll get the rifle to feed 458WM properly and avoid having to find out.

Another illustration re-hashed:

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In due time...I want to get it in hand and make sure it’s all I expect first.

In the meantime, what page here has the loads for 450gr TSxs @2250 and 480 Woodleighs @2150, uncompressed and at standard oal?

Until I utilize the search function for you ...

For the tame 450-gr TSX load @ 2250 fps and 3.340" COL: Try either AA-2230 or AA-2460 starting at 65.0 grains and 67.0 grains respectively.
Stop when you get to 2250 fps.

For the tame 480-grain Woodleigh RN SN @ 2150 fps and SAAMI COL you could do the same.
Or use the Woodleigh manual data showing BENCHMARK 74.0 grains (not compressed) giving 2190 fps (Woodleigh maximum load).
A few grains less might do for 2150 fps.

See page 153 of this thread for Woodleigh and Accurate manual data.

From page 149 of this thread:

I found that the Hornady DGX 480-grainer will get to 2292 fps at 3.340" COL with AA-2460 at 77.0 grains (25" Shilen barrel).
2150 fps with the Woodleigh should be quite tropical.

2150 fps to 2200 fps is what I will be shooting for with my 480-gr cast lead bullets.

With the 480-grain BBM T6 SS loaded to near 3.6" COL I expect close to 2380 fps and over 6000 ft-lbs.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...003651870?pid=329460

For somebody who has a magnum action Mauser that just Needs to be a .458WM!

Great price for a great barrel, $100 off and pre-threading for a Mauser thrown in for free !
Here is what a Shilen #5 contour looks like on a CZ 550 Magnum .458 WIN, Bobbarrella is her name:

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

This lot of bullets is about 1.670" long and weight is about 501 grains, and the hollowpoint is deeper than my previous lots, about 0.658".
No problemo.

Bubba Bullet Metamorphosis Technology:

Place 500-grain TSX in file-trim die with 0.050" thick washer protecting top of die,
bullet tip protruding from washer hole.

File until tip is flush with washer.
Bullet is now 1.485" long and weighs about 484 grains.

Chuck bullet in drill press and press its tip onto file until bullet length is exactly 1.470".
Bullet now weighs about 482.5 grains.

Hand chamfer meplat of bullet for nice feeding contour. Use the thimble-type case chamfering tool.

Use primer hole uniforming handtool to uniform the hollow point opening to 1/8" diameter opening.

Press bullet hollow point onto inside-case chamfering power tool (Hornady Lock-N-Load case prep station).
Stop when bullet is 480.0 grains to 480.4 grains,
just so as not to be too tedious.
That makes for a plus tolerance only, of less than 1 part in one thousand of heavy in the loafers.

Hard to go astray as long as you keep the aggressive, fast-excavating, drill press bits out of the hollow point.

Numerologically funny: The hollow point depth is now 0.458".

Meplat diameter inside the chamfer is about 0.310" (67.7% of bullet diameter).
Hollow point opening diameter is about 0.200", with a 120-degree cone angle.
There is now only one variety of BBM T6 480-grainer,
the SS-HP: Semi Solid Hollow Point.
The HYDRA to go with the HYDRO.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

Now that there can be only one 480-grain HYDRA "soft" to go with the HYDRO "solid,"
the 480-grain cast lead bullet is promoted to THREE AMIGOS status in the .458 WIN.
Time to get to shooting some cast lead bullets as preliminaries.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks RIP!!!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
RIP, no cart can replace your first love, butt... What do you think of a more tapered version a la a shortened 300 HH to 2.5” necked to 411 for 400 @ 2150? I know the 400 Whelen will do that but I find the idea interesting. I like the idea of a full length 2.8ish version of it that is virtually identical to the 400 Griffin and Howe. It would be a shorter version of the 40 BSA and I think cheaper to convert from say a 7 mag.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick said:

quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
RIP, no cart can replace your first love, butt.

I do not resemble that remark.

boom stick,

When I was a child, I was a wildcatter.
I played with many "40-bore" (.395- to .425-caliber) rifles.
I still own 31 rifles and carbines with wildcat and standard .410" +/- 0.015"-groove chamberings.

Then came the wisdom of returning to the long neglected .458 Winchester Magnum.
I wised up to the lies against the .458 WIN.
If I ever get too feeble to handle a .458 WIN,
I won't be needing another 40-bore.

Maybe you should do that 40-bore you are suggesting while you are young and foolish,
or learn from the mistakes of others and go straight to a .458 WIN
before you get too feeble to handle one ?
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks RIP!!!

My pleasure.
Just getting ready to do the same.
Will be doing AA-2230, AA-2460, and BENCHMARK
with 480-ish- to 540-ish-gr cast lead bullets.
That ought to be good info for conversion to 450-gr TSX and 480-gr HYDRA and HYDRO loads for the .458 WIN with 23" barrel.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
boom stick,

. . .
Maybe you should do that 40-bore you are suggesting while you are young and foolish,

Rip ...

Yes, otherwise you might be using a 416 Ruger in your old age.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
quote:
boom stick,

. . .

Rip ...

Yes, otherwise you might be using a 416 Ruger in your old age.

Or we can pot our game with light bullet loads from the .458 WIN,
and keep the magazine filled with 480-grain loads at 2150-2200 fps for up-close & hairy situations.
Even an old man can handle such gentle loads from his wheelchair or rollator,
and that is adequate gun for anything with the right 480-grain bullet for the game at hand: HYDRO, HYDRA, or HARDCAST.
Leave the brakes unlocked on the wheelchair when firing so as to roll with the recoil.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I know I have a lot to learn, but I would prefer the imperfect single or double 450NE or 45-70 to the perfection of a bolt action 458 WM. I would love a bolt action in 400 whelen though and I figured the slenderized “400 Win Mag” on a bolt action might be cheaper to make. Foley and youth... you trade your folly for wisdom, time for experience... I am glad I still have some folly left in me Big Grin You know you had lots of fun over the years with your wildcats, Folly can be a fun journey.

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Age is no excuse and no credential.
Here is an 89-year-old idiot:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...ry-politics?srnd=all
Clint Eastwood must be demented.
If not, tell him to come see me and I will kick his ass for being such a punk.
Dirty Harry is pooping in the streets of San Francisco, just like Nancy Puhloozer.
Mad
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Boom Stick,
It just occurred to me that you have discussed a number of big bore cartridges and rifles, but I cannot remember what you want to hunt or shoot with the rifle you buy or create.
Would it be metal plates, mid sized to large elk sized game, dangerous Alaskan game, or the big stuff in Africa?
Or maybe you need two new rifle/cartridge combinations? Wink

Based on my limited experience, it would seem there are rifles in the .40+ caliber area and in the .458 area that would be suitable unless you want a DG stopping rifle like a 600 NE.

Or maybe you just want something new and different? Like a Blaser or other funny looking European gimmiky shooter.?

Hey, I just saw a video of a 9mm Gatling gun that looks like fun. Just $5,000.
https://tippmannarmory.com/gatling-gun/

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The largest game I would hunt with a rifle would be boar or black bear but like many things, guns are more want than need. I also like overkill Big Grin. Pigs are probably going to be 90% of my hunting because they are cheep to shoot and taste good. Arn’t pigs great! I would bow hunt elk and primitive hunt deer but I just love big bores and I am a wildcatter at heart. BOOM

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Hi Boomstick and may I say "quick reply" and thank you.

I too use hogs for fun big bore targets both for sport and some for meat. The largest that I have killed was 600 pounds and my .308 with 165 grain Super performance made quick work of it. You already know that anything from a .223 on up will kill wiid boar, so if you want to do it with a 400 Wheelen go for it. If you run them with chase dogs, a big bore pistol will do the job.
The last hog that I took was shot with my .45-70 DR at less than 4 feet! Here it is:

Have fun and post pix.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, if a .45-70 can do it for porkers, there is no doubt a .458 WIN can too.
Buy a donkey to all for anything that can be even remotely related to the .458 WIN.

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Now I need someone to explain how climate change is political (and should be consigned to the Political forum) but Clint Eastwood's thoughts on Presidential candidates are not.

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I need someone to explain how climate change is political (and should be consigned to the Political forum) but Clint Eastwood's thoughts on Presidential candidates are not.

Hey!
Dirty Harry used a .458 WIN for urban night ops counter-sniper patrol of rooftops.
Now the actor is endorsing the anti-gun candidate Bloomberg.
What an act !
Therefore, any expletive undeleted about this is welcome.
When Greta Thunderburger starts hunting with a .458 WIN we will gladly discuss the methane emissions of flying pigs,
for THE MISSION.
And I still want to put my size 13, steel-toed, Pecos, Redwing boot in the ass of Clint Eastwood.
tu2
Rip ...