THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    a JOUST - 375 ruger vs 375 HH shoot off
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a JOUST - 375 ruger vs 375 HH shoot off Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:
And the winner of The Joust is.......??

I PMed Jeffe and he said that he has had to put the joust on hold due to a global warming induced flash floods in his area. He said that their is an earthquake predicted to hit Porter by year's end, so he is busy reinforcing his foundation. He also mentioned a solar flare that disabled his chronograph.

Towards the end of the phone call reception was terrible. All I could make out was something about giant earthworms and Reba McEntire.

yuck

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
The real reason, it is deer season here in Texas! Smiler

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just got in from the lease, in fact .. saw a doe.. no piggies though ..

glad for the continued interest

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Any news?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WHAT is the top fps with the Ruger using this bullet?

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
barreling this weekend

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
I want to see the results of Jeffe's test firing , using off-the-shelf regular ammunition.
Are we there yet ?
at 6:30 am, it was 79 deg today .. high of 93 projected ...

shesh, its forever hot these days

Apparently Mr Smith caught the Goldilocks syndrome: It's too Hot. It's too Cold.

Yet plenty of time to do everything else.

BTT

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
December

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yentna River:
quote:
December

and today is feb, likely to not make it this month either ...

but you are invited to beat me to the punch, and perform the same test, yourself.

you will need
2 barrels - $200
about 10 boxes of factory ammo .. about $560 bucks
2 sets fo reamers and gauages - about $400 bucks
2 rifles that you can rebarrel .. 300 for 2 enfields
2 sets of barrel installations - $300 on the cheap side
2 throw away stocks .. call it 50 in shipping

or about 1800 bucks, plus a good deal of time to do the shoot itself.

as I said .. you can certainly beat me to the punch and deliver your tests before me .. i won't stop you ...
would be nice to double blind the study ...

so, when you getting started?

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry Jeff, I don't know what happened to my post. Just disappeared.

I shot my sons 375 ruger over the croney yesterday with 270gr factory ammo. Barrel is a 25" shilen and the vel. readings were 2803 to 2830. Hornaday says 2810 from a 24" barrel. My buddy shoots the old 270gr Barnes X at 2740 from his 375HH Ruger #1.
My 375 is chambered for the wby.

From what I can tell the ruger beats the HH every time and the WBY beats them both. In the field they seem to do the same thing.

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Steve,
sorry if i came over grumpy .. i am badly jetlagged ...

the ruger should go faster,at the same pressure, everytime. .. and if its the same vel, the ruger can be less pressure ..

not slamming the HH .. its done fine job

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
December

and today is feb, likely to not make it this month either ...

but you are invited to beat me to the punch, and perform the same test, yourself.

you will need
2 barrels - $200
about 10 boxes of factory ammo .. about $560 bucks
2 sets fo reamers and gauages - about $400 bucks
2 rifles that you can rebarrel .. 300 for 2 enfields
2 sets of barrel installations - $300 on the cheap side
2 throw away stocks .. call it 50 in shipping

or about 1800 bucks, plus a good deal of time to do the shoot itself.

as I said .. you can certainly beat me to the punch and deliver your tests before me .. i won't stop you ...
would be nice to double blind the study ...

so, when you getting started?

Jeff, I have always valued your input and opinions on this forum... and I mean that sincerely. But... when you lay it out like that, why ARE you doing this?

Seriously?

Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrjulian_1970:
Jeff, I have always valued your input and opinions on this forum... and I mean that sincerely. But... when you lay it out like that, why ARE you doing this?

Seriously?

Mike

thanks .. i appreciate that.. its just because i want to know ... and it hasn't been done

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
that's a mean thing, chuck.. i think more of the HH than to compare it to snooki

jeffeosso, you still had your sense of humor when you wrote this post! Appreciate all of your effort and testing. I'm sure your sense of humor will come back, a nice 18 year old single malt will probably help.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
My buddy shoots the old 270gr Barnes X at 2740 from his 375HH Ruger #1.

All that I can tell you is that those are some SLOW 270gr cartridges.

I have no trouble getting 2565fps in my 24" 375H&H with a 300 NP pushed by 78.5gr of W760.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ah, jason.. the question isn't "what can hand loads do" .. rather "what do FACTORY loads do" .. and in a progressively shorter barrel

476AR,

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
ah, jason.. the question isn't "what can hand loads do" .. rather "what do FACTORY loads do" .. and in a progressively shorter barrel

But IIRC, you are not going to use the fastest factory loads available for the H&H, right?

Regardless, I am looking forward to your results.

Hey, how much more case capacity does the Ruger have?

Jason

-Jason Brown

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jason,
Part of the rational and reason .. the 375 HH has been doing it FINE for 100 years .. which i agree.. and ammo won't be available for the ruger in africa .. today, i agree... though ammo wasn't available for the HH 2-3 years after it was introduced, either

So, if the 375HH was "fine", and an HH is 300gr at 2500fps... judging the SINGLE "freak" loading (solid and soft) actually invalidates the position of the 375 being FINE as is.

capacity? about 4-5 grs larger

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Virginia Creeper
posted Hide Post
The 375 Ruger is about 6 percent lager in case capacity than the H&H. The 375 Weatherby is about 8.5 percent larger than the H&H.
Sincerely,

E Pluribus Unum - where out of many, we will become one.

Posts: 149 | Location: VA | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
barrels are, currently, 26.7 or so ...
we'll starting shooting in 2 weeks or so...

this ought to be fune

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are ya going to get a couple "ladies" to do all the shooting with this caliber?Smiler

Sasquatch

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nah .. but you and jay can come up and pull the trigger!

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
lemme know when and ill be there....i wanna see my bolts in action!!!!

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jason,
Part of the rational and reason .. the 375 HH has been doing it FINE for 100 years .. which i agree.. and ammo won't be available for the ruger in africa .. today, i agree... though ammo wasn't available for the HH 2-3 years after it was introduced, either....

I wonder how many high priced Holland & Holland rifles were in Africa in that same 2-3 yrs after the release of the H&H cartridge?

The only .375H&H available were the expensive British Rifles, maybe some customs,
Griffin Howe USA,began offering .375H&H in 1926.
No reasonably priced factory rifle was available until release of M70-Pre64 in 1937.

Prior to release of the .375H&H,The Germans had already created Magnum length mauser actions and developed modern propellant technology,as used in the 9,3x62[1905].
The .375H&H development was based on inferior cordite and was regularly shoehorned into an incorrect length std.M98 receiver.
Cannot think of an worse combination choice, considering superior propellant technology and magnum length receivers already existed.

IMHO, Rigby came up with a better case design in 1899...and rightfully placed it in magnum length receivers, at least as early as 1904.... tu2

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
good question .. in comparisonx to 8x57, 9,3xX, and 303? likely damned little percents

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax,

Interesting post.
The 9,3x64 also increased case capacity without having a belted case.
It could achieve similar velocities than a 375 H&H.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Trax
A subtle correction. The Germans designed the magnum Mauser, but at English request, and all German magnum mausers where made under British contract. For the rugby and Gibbs rounds

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes,.... The first Magnum actions were made up for the British firm John Rigby
around 1904. These were of round top configuration with a distinctive step down receiver ring.
1. Same as above, only with rear Square Bridge .
2. Round top action with normal ring , thumb cut , actually quite rare and not often encountered.
3. Single Square Bridge with normal ring and thumb cut, the most common of the magnum actions.
4. Single Square Bridge with solid left wall first made around 1930-31. Quite rare.
5. Double Square Bridge with solid left wall first made around 1930.Rare.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only .375H&H available were the expensive British Rifles, maybe some customs,
No reasonably priced factory rifle was available until release of M70-Pre64 in 1937

Incorrect assumption:

The 375 H&H was offered by many a lesser gun company in England, In fact just about every one of the trade houses offered the H&H such as C&H, Jeffery, Vickers etc. They were not expensive and many found their way to both India and Africa.

I shoot a 1926 Jeffery 375 H&H.

Whilst it is true that the Magnum Mauser and precursors to it were made at the behest of the British trade it must be understood that Britain was Mauser's biggest market and as such if it were not for that market Mauser would have been bankrupt.

In 1926 However Mauser made rifles in magnum calibers with German marks destined for the German trade, They made the 10,75x73, the 9.3x64, the 8x75 and the 8x68 exclusively for their own market. The contractual arrangement with Rigby by this time was long since done
It is ironic that it was Britain that caused Mauser not to go under initially and and it was finally Britain ( and the allies) that caused it's demise after WW2.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what was an new C&H .375H&H priced at.......compared to an Holland & Holland produced bolt rifle?

Cogswell & Harrison.

Holland & Holland.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
If you neck up the 6.53 Scramjet by Lazzeroni you almost have a 350 Rigby. Has anyone tried to make 350 Rigby brass from this?
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:
Jason,
Part of the rational and reason .. the 375 HH has been doing it FINE for 100 years .. which i agree.. and ammo won't be available for the ruger in africa .. today, i agree... though ammo wasn't available for the HH 2-3 years after it was introduced, either....

I wonder how many high priced Holland & Holland rifles were in Africa in that same 2-3 yrs after the release of the H&H cartridge?

No reasonably priced factory rifle was available until release of M70-Pre64 in 1937.

Prior to release of the .375H&H,The Germans had already created Magnum length mauser actions and developed modern propellant technology,as used in the 9,3x62[1905].
The .375H&H development was based on inferior cordite and was regularly shoehorned into an incorrect length std.M98 receiver.
Cannot think of an worse combination choice, considering superior propellant technology and magnum length receivers already existed.

IMHO, Rigby came up with a better case design in 1899...and rightfully placed it in magnum length receivers, at least as early as 1908.... tu2

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27607 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 132 | Location: WI. | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mwm464:
quote:

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this ever going to happen?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Quantum physics says Yes

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27607 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yeppers.. between work, hunting, golf, karate, house hunting, and night vision, i'll figure out a good time to do it

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Quantum physics says Yes

Bastard! I had hot coffee in my mouth! rotflmo

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
im ready to shoot... lemme know... i'll come pull the triggers!!!!....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My how I love the 375 H&H but I'm a nostalgic. Also I have about 2000 rounds of loaded ammo for it..

I am certain the 375 Ruger will win the contest by a hair..It simply holds more water! no need to make any other comparisons, the case that has the largest capacity always wins, it holds more powder, it takes not a seventh son of a seventh son to arrive at a logical conclusion that the "up and commer" is the new worlds champion, and it has not the so called "dreaded belt" that some professs to make a difference, howsomever the dreaded belt has been with us proveing itself for roughly 200 years in the 4 corners of the world, and has done so in flying colors....

I have built a few 375 Rugers for clients and tested them throughly, and it will equal the H&H in every respect and then some. It's definately a more modern and better case. Its the new kid on the block and IMO its kicking ass in all the wildcats. It is one hell of a cartridge case to go either direction on. I am curious if it will make a proper 458, it should!

Taking it all into account, the 375 Ruger is the hands down winner, but not my personal choice. If I didn't have a H&H I would buy a Ruger and if it comes out in the Ruger African WITH THE BARREL BAND SWIVEL, I will own one, and plan on a 9.3x62 also.

Jeffe, the only way you will ever settle this arguement is to get a signed sworn statement from a Cape Buffalo bull.. horse

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42155 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote