THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    a JOUST - 375 ruger vs 375 HH shoot off
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a JOUST - 375 ruger vs 375 HH shoot off Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Ray, I have been talking to the guys at Hornady and trying to get them to neck up the .338 Ruger Compact Magnum (which is just a shortened .375 Ruger) up to 9.3. Now, wouldn't that be sweet.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about the .358 CRG ... popcorn

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Quantum physics says Yes

Bastard! I had hot coffee in my mouth! rotflmo
I'm glad someone got that joke Smiler

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27606 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

Just wondering....

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
10 pages of death and distruction over a subject that is about as important as which tree my dog lifts his leg on! What are you guys smoking? horse rotflmo There just ain't no damn difference in a Ruger and a H&H thats worth reading 10 pages! pissers

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ray, Which tree is your dog's favorite? Cool

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
All this for a caliber best suited for use by women and children?

Enough already.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunatly it the little one in the corner of my living room, but don't tell my dear wife, she would shoot my dog and me! shocker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
FINALLY --
both rifles are completed and scoped.

dang, this has taken far too long.. but that's relative to my near zero "Free" time.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39557 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
...and I still have a "chop saw" ready.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i'll be your huckleberry.....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2840 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Keith,
We are going to have to get that together and get it done.. i figure i'll bring a 55 gal bucket to dunk the barrels to cool em off...

nice thing about throw aways!

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
jeffe, call me, cell ph.

Keith

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave Bush,
Ruger recently came out with the 9.3x62 in the Ruger Hawkeye African. It is one awesome factory rifle IMO..I grabbed the first .338 in Idaho and I'm loving it..I have a 1930 Husqvarna mod. 98 in 9.3x62, its a dream rifle. In fact I have 2 of them, it just happened.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Deon
posted Hide Post
Might be off topic, but how does the Ruger perform with heavier bullets such as the 350gr Woodleighs??

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

Posts: 131 | Location: Umshwati, South Africa | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the Joust may be under way.

popcorn tu2 coffee

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to the accuracy of the rifle barrels after a few dunkings. When you get down to 12" I want to see some videos of the flame throwers in action. What they can do at 16 and 18" will be interesting.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27606 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
It sounds like the Joust may be under way.

popcorn tu2 coffee

just tried shooting them dang ab barrels make it hard to want to cut them up

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
just shot 2 ab barrels, 375 ruger and 375 hh in about the worst possible condition..
full length barrels, untrimmed
ab "crown" from midway
NO BREAK IN PERIOD
enfield actions and military triggers
trigger binding on one of the actions due to stock
bedded around front screw ONLY (mega stick 2 part epoxy)
cobbled up scope bases
factory ammo

now, i have to admit, the on with the binding trigger wasn't sub moa (on shots 6,7,8, and 10,11,12 down the barrel).. but 1.1 ish is pretty close

the other? shots 6,7,8 and 11,12,13 (adjustments for missing shots) are sub moa...

just saying

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I'm curious as to the accuracy of the rifle barrels after a few dunkings. When you get down to 12" I want to see some videos of the flame throwers in action. What they can do at 16 and 18" will be interesting.

under legal aint gunna happen, boomie.... ever

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deon,
The .375 Ruger I had was built by me on a FN commercial action, and had a long throat and box. but contrary to common belief the 350 Gr. Woodleigh by design is the same length as the 300 gr., the extra 50 grs. is in the ogive, same applies to the 450 gr. .416 Woodleigh. I really am a believer in the Woodleigh 350 and 450 gr. bullets, they flat out work on buffalo..

If one wanted to use the 350 gr. Barnes X, and I see no reason to use that one as the 300 gr. BX will penetrate and tank, then one would probably need to open up the magazine and cut a longer throat for the 375 Ruger due to the short case, and the long bullet taking up powder space, not so with a 375 H&H and its long neck.

IMO the 350 gr. Monolithics are probably tumble prone as they are just too long for caliber. In fact I believe the 270 gr. monolithic is best in the 375s and has more than ample penetration. I have seen them penetrated a buff form stem to stern.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Ray, that is not correct. I have reloaded a 350 gr TSX in 375 Ruger with no problems at all (3.28" Coal). The Barnes site lists H414 at 75 gr as max although that gave me some pressure signs in warm weather. I switched to 71 gr RL-17 with no pressure signs at all and 2380 fps. There is plenty of room left in the case and I don't think this is max, it just matched exactly to my 350 gr solids with 77 gr of Hunter.

These loads shot wonderfully and performed perfectly on 2 buff in Zim this August. The Barnes website was a good place to start for their 350 gr bullets.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

IMO the 350 gr. Monolithics are probably tumble prone as they are just too long for caliber. In fact I believe the 270 gr. monolithic is best in the 375s and has more than ample penetration. I have seen them penetrated a buff form stem to stern.

tu2 Always drop down in weight with a TSX.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
just tried shooting them dang ab barrels make it hard to want to cut them up

They are good barrels. My daughter's 257 Bob with an AB barrel would pile 110 grain Nosler Accubonds on top of each other. I will buy more of them!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of RiverBear
posted Hide Post
so jeffeosso you got any updates on your test. the wait is killing me

Posts: 18 | Location: southern interior, British Columbia | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of RiverBear
posted Hide Post
jugdeing from the lack of a response this tread and test is dead to bad would have been interesting

" The Rocky Mountians Is The Marrow Of The World" "If your to busy to go fishing or hunting, you're just to busy"

Posts: 18 | Location: southern interior, British Columbia | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RiverBear:
jugdeing from the lack of a response this tread and test is dead to bad would have been interesting

I would say it is srill on hold.

jeffe, (I think) has too many irons in the fire. One day it will happen.

Keith

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
guns built, sighted in, and baseline testing done at 84 degs..

we'll get around toit .. not today.. tomorrow aint looking too good either

but, welcome to the forums, riverbear

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunt 99 and Dave Bush,

I don't doubt your posts at all..I would however suggest that the twist of a rifle has more to do with stabilization or the 350 gr. Monolithics and also some barrels like them and others don't..so its a barrel to barrel thing and the only way one can know on any of these type of conversations is "try them."

Also, an pardon my "misintention" or whatever you want to call it, I was typing and got behind myself. I was refering tumbling on contact with game, as well as in the accuracy dept and I was not clear on that, sorry about that.

Mostly what I was trying to say is I am suspecious of the heavy monolithics as they are incredibly long for a .375 bullet whereas the cup and core bullet with a proper ogive are not, but if the monolithics work in your particular gun then its a moot question for you.

I still contend that they should be tested for accuracy and in a medium of some sort ( I use dry magazines as they are tough on bullets) in each individual rifle for that reason...but that applies to any gun I shoot with any bullet.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Picture of RiverBear
posted Hide Post
took my 375 ruger to the range today I wanted to see what the 270gr factory loads where running through the chrony 2727 fps 20in barrel. It was a nice day for shooting -3 to -4 celcius/ 20 farenheit didn't have to wait long for barrels to cool off. anyone have a h&h 20in barrel and know what 270gr are running ? just wondering not trying to start trouble

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can get anywhere from 2500 to almost 2700 FPS in my .375 H&H with 270 gr. bullets. what I am sure of it makes little difference in Killing power or trajectory..As a result of using the .375 for many years, I load it with 300 gr. bullets at 2500 FPS.

If I want long range then the 375 is not my choice, it was never ment for long range shooting IMO, but its a hell of a 300-400 yard caliber...The wind won't move that big bullet much and hold over is easy for me, figuring out wind is not.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
guns built, sighted in, and baseline testing done at 84 degs..

Jeffe
Any updates?

Also, I would be interested to hear what the results of the baseline testing were.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Jeffe?

Jason

-Jason Brown