THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael,
Since when did you quit your day job to pimp bullets? Wink

I know all you regular guys know this, but I AM NOT IN THE BULLET BUSINESS. I get no kickbacks from Cutting Edge Bullets, nor North Fork Bullets, Nor any other bullet maker at all! NOTHING.

As for the BBW#13s, yes, Between Sam and I we developed this bullet, tweaked and tested it until we got what we wanted out of it. We needed a bullet maker, and had been working with Dan at CEB some anyway on some other bullets. Sam and I agreed we just want this bullet for our own use, so we took it to Dan at CEB. We gave it to him, the design, the rights everything. Sam is a Blue Berry Farmer by trade, I am a Forester by profession, I already own a Company, Southeast Woodland Services, Inc. I have a F&&King Job, and I don't want ANOTHER ONE! One is plenty.

At the time, Dan made Sam and I one hell of an offer! First, he wanted us to come to work for him! Thanks, but no. Even wanted to pay us something on the side as I recall, thank you, but once again no. Now here is a funny one, that I remind Dan of on occasion, but he also asked if he could make Sam and my bullets for free! rotflmo I thought I would fall out. At that time Dan had no idea what he was getting into! Inside a month I could shoot CEB out of business I am sure! So I explained to Dan, thank you very much for the offer, I do appreciate it, but cannot possibly accept that as you would go out of business quickly, declare bankruptcy in no time, and then I would not have anyone to make my damned bullets! I think now he is very happy that we did not accept that offer, and I remind him frequently of it. Yep, I get a good price on the bullets which is better than the retail! But, I also buy a hell of a lot of them too! My last order for my own personal bullets about a week ago consisted of nearly 6000 total bullets! Of course, I pay for those, those are my bullets!

Yes, I keep bullets on hand from CEB and North Fork, at my own expense. In the beginning that was so many of you guys could try them out, a box or so at a time. Even calibers I don't shoot, I would get a run of 250 done so that you could try one or two boxes to see how they work! WHY? Because I believe in the project and the bullet, same as I do the B&M rifles and cartridges. Now that most of you have tried the calibers that I do not shoot, then I won't be getting anymore of those, you get those from either North Fork or CEB.

Bullets that are designed for the B&M rifles, then yes I keep those on hand at all times for the guys that have B&M rifles! Just the same as I keep head stamped brass, standard brass, dies from Hornady and RCBS, and anything else related to the B&M rifles! WHY? Once again, this is at my expense, the guys that need things for the B&M rifles get them for what I pay for it, end of story! It's not a business, and in fact if it was, I would be bankrupt! Most of the time, as some B&M owners can tell you, they get little packages from time to time at no charge at all, I give away more shit than I ever get repaid for! I believe in the projects I am involved in, and will help you, and all the guys out as much as I can! I will never lead you wrong, not knowingly anyway, and your interests are at heart, not mine. I consider many many of you friends, and not someone to "PIMP" crap off on!

Even the rifles that I have on occasion, I have never made a dime on. I just sent Gun #1 475 B&M off for Aaron, and while it was a very expensive rifle, in the end I lost money on it, and I put time and energy into it because I was not going to let it out of my sight unless I knew it was 100%.

So when some "DUMBASS-JACKASS--Ignorant, Stupid Ass accuses me of "Pimping" anything, then yes, I take that as an ugly Insult to my integrity, and I am not one to lie down and take it!

End Of Story

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
JHC! Sorry guys, a little more of a rant than I was thinking of! You know me, get carried away sometimes!

Chuck,

Sure thing! I will send you my address, but 6 bullets will be plenty, I will use one to try and get velocity until I get what I need, but should be able to do that with 6 I think. Hate for you to send too many of your stock!

Your 1:10 twist is a stroke of genius! Yes, it will make a big difference especially with solids that don't quite have a proper meplat size. And it won't hurt those that do, and will increase stability even further. My 510 Wells has 1:15! From back in the day before we knew better!

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said Michael, well said.

There are some people in this world that are so Hate Filled that the best thing they could do for the rest of us is STFU.

Michael, someday I hope to give you the most excellent hangover. beer

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Michael,

When we left your house, the conversation went something like this:

"...and he just does that for fun?"

"Yep"

"He's not in the gun business or those bullets or.."

"nope"

"That's an awful lot of mone..."

"Yep"

"And he's a forester,,,"

"yep"

"I mean he is serious about that.."

'yep"

Finally I had to try to convince him that big-bore guys are not like other gun guys at all...when the caliber starts with a 4, they get this goofy ass grin and start thinking of all kinds of ways to see what a big bullet will do... He still doesn't fully get it but when his eyes heal from the surgery, we'll come over again and let him shoot the 475 and see if he doesn't get that goofy assed grin on his face like I got!

In the meantime I have a rat gun test i'll PM you about...

_Baxter

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
JHC! Sorry guys, a little more of a rant than I was thinking of! You know me, get carried away sometimes!

Chuck,

Sure thing! I will send you my address, but 6 bullets will be plenty, I will use one to try and get velocity until I get what I need, but should be able to do that with 6 I think. Hate for you to send too many of your stock!

Your 1:10 twist is a stroke of genius! Yes, it will make a big difference especially with solids that don't quite have a proper meplat size. And it won't hurt those that do, and will increase stability even further. My 510 Wells has 1:15! From back in the day before we knew better!

Michael

Hi Michael I'll send you 12 of each to the address you PM'd me, if you could test them at 1800 fps ( which is lowest impact velocity I see using (250 yards velocity)) as well as at 2300 fps. I know mjines on AR uses the 570 TSX's to great effect at 2500 fps but that's a bit much for my shoulder.

Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That donkey pic was a great laugh RIP. thank you.
I think Michael is more like the wild crazy preacher John the baptist in the desert preaching to the Internet masses to all those who would convert than a pimp. That would make Sam Jesus performing miracles with his bastard file and I hope I'm one of the 12 apostles of the peanut gallery.
What people will see is performance in tests and game proving these the best bullets on the market for 95% of center fire hunting.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I plan to order today 50 of the .510 570g CEB BBW#13 Solids and see how they shoot out of my 500 Jeffery over the next few weeks. I'm also going to work up a load with the 570g A-Frames as well. I figure I'll start out at the lower end of my 570g TSX loads (101g H4895) and work my way up.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Chuck, check the CEB web site. Those 570 grainers may not work in a bolt rifle.

A blueberry farmer and a forester. Who would have thunk it... Smiler

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave, but the web site says they should work and Michael's using them in his 510 Wells. A quote from the CEB web site

https://cuttingedgebullets.com...ey=DGBR_X04NE_BBW_13

"510" diameter 570 grain dangerous game brass solid hunting bullet designed for the Nitro Express double rifles. Design incorporates 3 + 1 band configuration for reduced barrel strain. Its BBW#13 nose profile which has a 67% Meplat, has proven to give the deepest straight line penetration of any nose profile tested to date. The 4 band NE configuration is spaced slightly wider than our standard DGBR bullets allowing for better crimping for individuals that crimp. This bullet will also work in bolt guns as well."

I'll find out and let you know ...

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Sorry Chuck, I must have been thinking about the 535 grain Non Cons. CEB says "This bullet will also work in bolt guns but but may produce slightly less neck tension due to the wider spacing of the bands."

Got my bullets mixed up.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
No problem, thanks, better to be safe ... as they say. I'll let you know how they work out And thanks for the tip on the 500 Jeffery Factory Crimp Die, mine came in a few weeks ago. I'm looking forward to trying it out the next time I get a couple of warm days here in tropical Colorado brrr

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Dave and Chuck

The .510 BBW#13s should have no issues loading and shooting in any bolt gun. The only issue you might have is feeding, like any flat nose in a bolt gun, that is not a Winchester M70--HEH HEH..... That big stupid ass Ruger gun I have in .510 won't feed anything, not even the Hornady.

Even in the Winchesters if you go above a 68% meplat they don't like it either. This is why the North Forks designed for the B&Ms came down on meplat to 68% and the BBW#13s all have 67% meplats.

Slightly wider spacing between the bands is the only difference in the Nitro and standard. So the guys with doubles or other can crimp EASIER is all. But even on standard bullets crimping is not an issue really, I have to crimp the .500s in 500 MDM, and they have standard spacing.

So the only issue you might have with a bolt is feeding, no other issues.

Thanks Phats and Baxter! Oh, Dave, yep, just normal chaps looking for a better bullet, just like you guys, no big deal! Much of this was driven for my various .500s, I needed good bullets in those to accomplish my own goals with them. Bullets that would enhance their capabilities beyond just "adequate" and to extreme, even with case capacity short. We have achieved, and gone beyond what I had expected, simply because of the bullet design and how it works. And if they are good in the .500s, they are good in everything else, and that has proven out far beyond expectations. Honestly, I would not know where to go from where we are right now. So I reckon much of my research here will be turned in other directions. One, the Raptors getting them up and running in all calibers, then make a plan to do some other things after the Raptors too.

What I have learned from much of this little adventure is that you can enhance a cartridge, beyond what it has ever been, with the bullet. Some of the big ammo companies thought they could do that with "Magnum Loads" from "Standard" cartridges, just velocity is not always the answer. For the thousandth time, It's the Bullet!

Enjoy, rather busy the next couple of days, with Company issues, so don't be disturbed much if you don't hear from me! HEH............ Real work to attend to, the work that pays the bills!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I nearly forgot to mention something of note that happened on Friday! Friday and this weekend I have been somewhat busy getting some loads to have on the shelves, mentioned that earlier. Friday I was loading some rounds for the 500 MDM and the New Horneber brass. Fire forming some of that with those ugly old wide 4 band first run BBW#13s I had, 500 grs. I really did not want, and the Horneber brass cannot handle the heavy loads, so I was just looking for 2100 fps, something pleasant to shoot and play with. Pretty much I have decided to keep that black Gunkote/English 500 MDM, so I have been shooting it some.

Just quickly on the range to check my velocity out, and put 3 down, loaded and shot. The second round would not extract???? What the hell? Worked the bolt a couple of times, could not feel anything??? Looked at the bolt, and I be damned if I didn't break the extractor claw off the extractor! After 1000s on top of 1000s of rounds shot through M70 extractors I had never even come close to a problem with one. This rifle has not had 50 rounds shot through it and no abuse whatsoever! Looked like "Pot Metal" where it broke! Amazing! I keep telling you guys, if it can be broke, I can break it! Better here than in the field, but even then that is no guarantee! Things break! Cure? Probably none that is 100%, but I am going to put a new one in, maybe one of those Williams or something, of course suggestions from you guys is fine with me too!

Something happening like this in the field could be an issue, especially if one only has one rifle and no spares. A spare rifle, of like make-- 458 Lott and 416 Remington, Win M70s--then you have a spare rifle, but if one or the other extractor broke, you can use the bolt from the other rifle. Same with all the B&M series as well. Just hope you don't break something with a elephant bearing down on you! That would be bad, but it could happen, like everything, regardless of action, cartridge, bullet anything, things break! I have been lucky, I catch most of my broken things on the range, but again, no guarantees on anything! I could shoot a rifle 500 times before leaving, and get on the ground to my destination and something break on the first round out!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BROKEN EXTRACTOR!!!!!!!!!!
Well now maybe thats a reason to get a DOUBLE you always have a spare!

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of earlier Winchester extractors were sintered and they had problems until they went to the Williams billet ones. Post a pic and it should be easy to tell if it's a Williams or not. I went round and round with a gunsmith on this issues when he replaced a Williams with another Williams when I told him the one on the gun was already a good one...

How old was the action?

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:

Horse Pucky! Doubles can break too! I carry a spare rifle anyway! HEH HEH....... Two B&Ms!

Baxter

This was one of the RUM actions and rifles??? Not sure when it was built, or that series of M70s. RIP probably knows. I will take a photo. One of those things I suppose!

M

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Hi, one of the reasons I bought my CZ 550 was Ganyana's write up about the rifles used in the Zimbabwe PH test and which rifles failed more often than others. I have to tell you getting a CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery to feed and extract flawlessly was a two year oddyessy but it was worth it. I will bring along my youngest's Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby as a backup (if he let's me lol) when I go to Africa though. I like that rifle more every time I pick it up. I did have the Rem 700 extractor replaced with a Sako extractor and the bolt handle welded on though ...

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did have the Rem 700 extractor replaced with a Sako extractor and the bolt handle welded on though ..

animal

Did I tell that story about the Remington Bolt Handle falling off???? I don't recall doing that?

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sam

You know better than anyone, A Double Rifle would not last a Week in my "Torture Chamber"

rotflmo

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Michael,
Since when did you quit your day job to pimp bullets? Wink

As a reward for Ray's first post on the Terminals Thread: Another picture for him to look at, one he might not have to study too hard to understand ...
That post resembles this picture, equally enlightening.

a useful photo, as it could be used for ray or alf, depending

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Horse Pucky! Doubles can break too! I carry a spare rifle anyway! HEH HEH....... Two B&Ms!

Baxter

This was one of the RUM actions and rifles??? Not sure when it was built, or that series of M70s. RIP probably knows. I will take a photo. One of those things I suppose!

M

Ha! But carrying two doubles on Safari is the ultimate back up to the back up!!! wave

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

With the weight of that synthetic one you could throw it in a back quiver ala Robin Hood and when you are out of rounds (or your extractor broke :-)) you could just grab it and continue the onslaught!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Ha! But carrying two doubles on Safari is the ultimate back up to the back up!!! wave

Todd, if you carry two doubles, does that mean you actually have 4 rifles??? Some airlines frown on more than three!

rotflmo

HEH HEH............

beer

Baxter, that's a good idea, muzzle pointed down, right in the middle of my back, throw the broken rifle to the side, grab it out and go to work! Ya Man, Just need a bigger holster to do that, maybe like one of those things they use on horses! HE HE......

Jeffe, absolutely perfect for Alf, I concur, Alf and Ray Photos! We must save that photo for future use, as I am sure we will see another JackAss from time to time!

beer

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Baxter

M

DUH!!!!! Now you know why they call them doubles! If one part breaks there is a good chance the gun will still work with at least one barrel.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Double double?
Now I'm hungry,
I think maybe the extractor should be changed maybe every 5000 rounds like a timing belt does every 100,000 miles.

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Todd, if you carry two doubles, does that mean you actually have 4 rifles??? Some airlines frown on more than three!

rotflmo

HEH HEH............

beer

Baxter, that's a good idea, muzzle pointed down, right in the middle of my back, throw the broken rifle to the side, grab it out and go to work! Ya Man, Just need a bigger holster to do that, maybe like one of those things they use on horses! HE HE......

Jeffe, absolutely perfect for Alf, I concur, Alf and Ray Photos! We must save that photo for future use, as I am sure we will see another JackAss from time to time!

beer

Michael

Yep Michael,

I'm sure some TSA genius will give me a hard time next fall when I show up with the 9.3X74 and 500NE. Maybe I'll just bring along the wife and claim the other 2 as hers!

There is always a different way to skin the cat. Just as long as the skin comes off!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been impressed enough with the information that I have ordered both solids and expanding for both my .458 and my .470. I'm going to give them a try and see what I think. I hope that CEB will provide some load data for me so I can try them.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure some TSA genius will give me a hard time next fall when I show up with the 9.3X74 and 500NE. Maybe I'll just bring along the wife and claim the other 2 as hers!

By all means bring the wife and maybe find a calibre that she is happy to shoot.

aside, btw,
I'd like to add a line in support of Ray A, not his current views but his background. He has had a lot of African experience and loves heavy-for-calibre lead-based fodder. There are still quite a few PHs like that. And they see plenty of 'dead right there' animals. Most African hunters have 'been there, done that' and have thoroughly enjoyed hunting with 275 and 300 grain 338s, 350grain 375s or 450grain 416s, or 500grain 458s. These bullets have certainly worked well over the last century and some people have more reluctance to leave tried and true. Yes, these tests on TBP over the past two years have been fantastic, and I sure look forward to trying out some Raptors. But some people prefer to wade into the water slowly. They'll probably come aboard after more results come in.

Of course, it can all be understood as good fun. and that was a funny picture. But the real laugh is he who gets to walk the forest next hunting season with whatever load up the spout or arrow on the nock.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
DUH!!!!! Now you know why they call them doubles! If one part breaks there is a good chance the gun will still work with at least one barrel.

Sam

Duh my Ass! I am going to say it again, A Double would not last a week here in the Torture Chamber

rotflmo

Todd

Can't you see those TSA guys scratching their heads trying to figure that out???? cuckoo

animal

Pago

Dan won't have any load info for you. Tell us here what you are loading for and Sam can help you if it's doubles, I can help on rifles with "1" barrel! LOL........ Not really a big mystery honestly, pretty much the same load that you have been using most of the time with similar bullets. But tell us what you got and we will see what we can come up with!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TORTURE CHAMBER is right!!!!!!! You would load them way to hot for a dainty double. Besides not sure the solder would hold up to the heat.
You better stick to bolt guns and Gorilla tape!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael,
I sent you an apology shortly after reading your post and a couple of others. Apparantly it didn't go thu, so I will apologize again..I ment no harm and my post was intended as humor, and I use the word gun pimp, bullet pimp quit often describing myself...I had no idea that all this would upset the masses..

I will refrain in the future from attempting to add a little humor to your posts, again I apoligize..

Please understand that I was the first to use the modern North forks, the 350 and 450 gr. woodleighs, and the cup points and FN solids on buffalo and report them on this very forum, so I thought that most would know I ment no harm.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Ray

I saw and answered your apology on the Double Rifle bullet thread.

And, I too will repeat here for the masses, Thank You. I accept your apology, and I also must apologize as well, I am sure I said some thing that might have offended you in turn. I apologize for that. Had you and I had much contact in the past I would have accepted the humor, and enjoyed it with you, but we really do not know each other, so I took it in the wrong light.

Please, do not refrain from humor, as I really like for all of us to have fun, and maybe learn something along the way! Now that this is behind us, I see no reason for either of us to refrain from having a good time.

Now please, welcome to the Terminal Performance Thread, I know without doubt there is much we can learn from each other, your experiences, and mine. Please hang in here with me, work with me, and let's all learn from each other!

Thank You Ray, much appreciated!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Suffice to say that whenever men get together there will ALWAYS be rancor and mis-understanding of verbage.

It's refreshing when mis-understandings are aired as such and pats on the back all around salve any perception of hurt...it raises the level of respect many rungs for those few that are men enough to stand up and it doesn't poison the well.

I, for one, appreciate all of Michaels work and postings and RIPS, Robs, Rays and Boomy's and all the others that provide informative tomes even though I sometimes have other points of view.

One thing is certain about this sport...it is selective as to who gets to do what...very few get to go to far corners of the world to hunt exotic or even mundane game, and few get to play with big guns, but EVERY hunter dreams of doing so, and gets to so vicariously while sitting in front of a screen reading about "all that stuff."

The fact that the younger generations learn what to use and how to use it...and why... should not be lost on those in the know.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,
I didn't spend much today, just bought about 700 dollars on the .474 and the .458 to try. I will be loading for a .470 Nitro and for the .458 win and the .458 Lott. Any load data you could help with would be greatly appreciated. Am looking for accuracy as well as velocity. 2250-2300 for the Lott, 2125-2150 for the win mag and in the neighborhood of 2125-2150 in the .470. I have been reloading for around 40 years and still am not very good at experimenting without load data. Thanks for your help.
Rick

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
FOOBAR, excellent summing up of what we hope now in a non-rancor exchange.
tu2 beer

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Michael,
I didn't spend much today, just bought about 700 dollars on the .474 and the .458 to try. I will be loading for a .470 Nitro and for the .458 win and the .458 Lott. Any load data you could help with would be greatly appreciated. Am looking for accuracy as well as velocity. 2250-2300 for the Lott, 2125-2150 for the win mag and in the neighborhood of 2125-2150 in the .470. I have been reloading for around 40 years and still am not very good at experimenting without load data. Thanks for your help.
Rick

Rick

Yes, you sound like me with the bullets now! As for the 470 Nitro, I will let Sam work with you on that one. The 458 Winchester and 458 Lott, my data is, Dated on that some. It's been 5-6 years since I was much involved with 458 Win and 458 Lott. Since you have been loading 458 Win and Lott, what powders are you working with now?

Something else about the BBW#13s, many times the last year I would need to test something in one of my Lotts, I used the same loads I used 5 yrs ago with the same weight Barnes solids. I never run into issues, but I used RL 15 when loading heavy bullets in the Lott. In some other instances loading some unknown things, I used loads out of the Barnes manual for the BBW#13s, and even the newer Raptors.

Lionhunter and his partner Carl used 458 Lotts recently on a hunt and Carl was using IMR 8208, which I am now the proud owner of 8 lbs of it. They were using the 480 BBW#13 Solid with good results, I think they were running 2250-2275. I understand that AA2230 is excellent in 458 Win, but I have not used it. I do have some I was trying with my 458 B&M and 475 B&M, but it did not do as well with those as I had hoped it would.

No worries, PM me if you like and we will start getting things put together for you, include Sam as well, he will assist with the 470.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its hard to beat 106 grains of IMR 4831 and a 500 grain bullet in the 470 Nitro Express.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Italian ammunition-maker CompBullet produces a series of bullets of the same name, which are claimed to both go faster than normal ammo, and produce less recoil. The secret? The bullets have go-faster holes in them.

Available in several calibers, the copper alloy bullets have a main cavity in the base, with multiple "vents" machined into their sides. These reportedly serve several purposes.

First of all, when the gun is fired, the vents supposedly allow the propellant gases to go through the sides of the bullet, providing lubrication between it and the inside of the gun's barrel.

As the bullet exits the gun, the gases symmetrically shoot sideways out of the vents. This - so we're told - creates a "muzzle brake" effect. A muzzle brake is a device fitted to the end of a gun's barrel, that redirects the gases as they leave the gun, to offset the recoil effect. The vents in the CompBullets apparently serve the same purpose.

At the same time, the gases shooting out of the vents are also said to create a rocket-like effect, increasing the bullet's velocity. All of you physicists are welcome to weigh in on this one, but it's hard to say if gases exiting the sides of a bullet would really cause it to travel any faster than gases that were limited to pushing on it from behind.

Additionally, CompBullets are claimed to produce less muzzle flash and less smoke. If nothing else, all those holes probably make them lighter than regular bullets, to boot."

http://www.compbullet.com/indexeng.html

Humm???

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Interesting
Maybe the vents should be at an angle to provide spin from a smooth bore rifle or shotgun. Anyone want to drill a few holes in the raptor hollow base? Since the non con hole is a hexagon only drill 3 times for perpendicular vents. I'd love to see spin vents in a 12 gauge slug.
Since this is from Italy maybe they should call it the "Venti" bullet Smiler

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I have a question, Michael, regarding which/where/why you would modify the rifle first, rather than the bullet.

It would seem much easier, quicker and cheaper to get the bullet design to work in the rifle, if other bullets work, rather than modify the rifle to maybe only work with one bullet. I do understand not liking or wanting to use a tool that doesn't quite fit, tho',

Way back when I was a dapprentice an old timer watched while I really messed up a very expensive piece of equipment trying to get it to work. After I called the bossman over and presented my FU, he chewed me up one side and down the other for about 45 minutes with all the shop looking on. I expected my walking papers about lunch time. Both the old timer AND the boss told me to always break the least expensive piece if I was going to break anything...then they both helped me fix my boondoggle. I didn't get two checks then, but I had my warning. I lasted two years there before being moved out of the shop and on to other parts of the apprentice program.

"Break the cheap parts" became a mantra almost, but not locked in stone. This seems to fit that mantra..."break the bullet, not the rifle".

I'm not questioning your expertise or motive, just wondering why...I don't consider myself any more of a bullet designer than think I'm a brain surgeon.

Luck