THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks very good indeedSmiler
But I would like you do one more test to really see what the bullets are capable off if you don't mind.
Can you set up the wood block at an angle towards you?
So it enters and exits at an angle of the block.

If it still goes straight after that, then I am very very impressed!Smiler

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Michael458,

Can you just get 40-50 elephant heads and repeat this?
Different angles etc.

Thanks

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norwegianwoods, that reminds me of hitting a branch about 5/8" dia of dried hard oak.The .44 mag SWC left evidence of exactly where and how the bullet reacted .It must have gone up , over the branch and deer at 30* .A lucky deer. I think your proposed test would yield similar results !
BTW , your previous post , for those who don't know wolfram = tungsten .Wolram from German , tungsten from Swedish.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Some of the obstacles we face as hunters!

Brush in the wrong place

I think this one you could pick a way through!

Big Sticks!

How about Grass?

I almost forgot this one until just now looking through some of my photos! I started out with this warty at about 40 yds or so, shooting a Winchester M70 358 STA and 250 Hornady at 2850 fps. I hit a stick in front of the warthog I did not see, the bullet deflected and hit warty in the jaw! Of course warty takes off like a bat out of hell with Andrew and I chasing. Caught him running and I took a snap shot at 75-80 yards, was just lucky to hit anything, but I zippered the bottom of the belly! Ugly affair this was, we are running again! Being zippered on the underside things were coming out, I handed off the rifle to Andrew and took off after the pig. Back in the day it was legal for me to have a handgun along, a self defense handgun, so on my hip was a Kimber Compact 45 acp. And also back in the day I could run faster than I can now too! So I took off, drawing as I went, catching up with the pig he turned on me at about 3 steps or so, a 230 ball through the nose quickly allowed me to get a better shot in on the second one which was dead between the eyes and put an end to the affair. But a stick caused the whole incident to begin with!

A little too much brush for me!

I dare say that every time we step into the bush with a rifle, on a hunt, that we will face a scenario dealing with trees, sticks and twigs! Sometimes we won't even know it, as this has happened to me on several occasions, like the warthog above, I have probably forgot some other incidents!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Norwegianwoods, that reminds me of hitting a branch about 5/8" dia of dried hard oak.The .44 mag SWC left evidence of exactly where and how the bullet reacted .It must have gone up , over the branch and deer at 30* .A lucky deer. I think your proposed test would yield similar results !
BTW , your previous post , for those who don't know wolfram = tungsten .Wolram from German , tungsten from Swedish.

I also think the bullet will change path, but I would love to be wrong, and you never know anything for sure before it is triedSmiler

And the wolfram ammo I talked about was some old 30-06 belted military machine gun ammo with every 5th being tracer bullets and the rest armor piercingSmiler

I have missed a few animals because of sticks and twigs I couldn't see....

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Guys, been gone a day so this may be a little late. Since Michael has this problem with conversions, i.e., 3 to 9, I have an idea. Saeed made me a Zimbabwean millionaire, so I will order bullets and pay in Zimbabwean dollars! Wink In fact, to show what a good guy I am, I will make every three a nine to triple Michael's money! Eeker
What say you all?
Max
dancing

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pro242
I don't think UPS has a big enough truck to hawl enough Zim dollars to buy one box of bullets.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
Michael458,

Can you just get 40-50 elephant heads and repeat this?
Different angles etc.

Thanks
animal
And a pony!
No make that a unicorn!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Was thinking the same thing.
That and maybe get some cheap $20 Christmas tree to shoot through at various places. Fresh christmass trees can add some sappy reality and randomness to the tests. Or maybe use the one you have after Christmas. Just take off any ornaments you wish to keep Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Norwegianwoods:
Looks very good indeedSmiler
But I would like you do one more test to really see what the bullets are capable off if you don't mind.
Can you set up the wood block at an angle towards you?
So it enters and exits at an angle of the block.

If it still goes straight after that, then I am very very impressed!Smiler

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Before we get lost in the twigs I thought I would thank you guys for all these tests.
Thank you!
It's great to see the 375 Raptor pass with flying colors too.
The 375 Raptor is such a great bullet for the fish/fowl legendary 375 caliber.
Now someone go get some Kudu at 300 yards! Smiler or maybe Buffalo at 10 yards Smiler Smiler
Will be a few years before I can go Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomstick,

In the south we have plenty of trees and its not illegal to cut them down. I think Michael will have plenty of material to shoot. He is in the brush clearing business.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Following up on your pictures of the dead trees.
The bullet hit the little tree first, which was about 66 yds. from where I was standing.
The big tree is 12' from the little tree.
The bullet fragmented and one piece hit 19" above the main bullet hole.
The deer was 13' behind the bigger tree.
The bullet went though his backbone and a fragment was in his neck.
The deer is in the freezer and what's left of the recovered bullet weighs 140 grains.
The bullet was loaded to 2400 fps.

Mike

Posts: 107 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 15 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450NE,

OK where are the photos of the deer? What gun were you using and bullet and load and scope and powder and primer and so on! Everybody wants details man!

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Before we get lost in the twigs I thought I would thank you guys for all these tests.
Thank you!
Now someone go get some Kudu at 300 yards! Smiler or maybe Buffalo at 10 yards Smiler Smiler

I am very interested to try them out in my 375 Ruger next year on the animals I don't shoot with my bowSmiler
Anyone have an idea how much 50 or 100 of them will cost shipped out of US?
Would also be nice to get some loading data about in what area the loads should be for this bullet in a 375 RugerSmiler

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
CEB has an exporter listed on their website. I don't know when they will list them for sale but soon I hope. www.cuttingedgebullets.com

quote:
Originally posted by Norwegianwoods:
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Thank you!

I am very interested to try them out in my 375 Ruger next year on the animals I don't shoot with my bowSmiler
Anyone have an idea how much 50 or 100 of them will cost shipped out of US?
Would also be nice to get some loading data about in what area the loads should be for this bullet in a 375 RugerSmiler

Picture of MeplatFS
posted Hide Post
Another interestng test of wood penetration vs deflection will be to shoot a 4 x 4 piece or similar, very close to one edge. This will make the resistance less on one side than the other and will test the bullet's ability to drive straight.

I once read an article about brush busting (in 'American Rifleman' perhaps) where the tester set up a flat base block full of vertical wooden dowels spaced so that a bullet would have multiple strikes with air gaps between. This would be another good test to replicate brush.

Michael, when I visit in January I'd be happy to help out with this kind of testing (that is, if you haven't already done it by then, knowing you!).

MeplatFS

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: 10 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Would be interesting to see how other bullets compare in the dangerous 4x4 test.
Non deforming solids or non con limited deforming bullets would have an advantage methinks when it comes to stability. The petals damage from the non con is impressive and proves the added lethality range of the hollow point brass bullets. How would a partition compare?
One thing I was thinking was the consistent 2" petal sheer phenomena. It seems it takes those milliseconds to build up the internal pressure to get to the breaking point. It seems the petal sheer is not merely mechanical but the internal pressure forcing the petals outward.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

I will highly recommend for 375H&H using AA2460. 75gr with solid(BBW#13 of course)=2745!

77gr with NonCon=2885..book max velocity 3gr under max charge.

I imagine I can push Raptors to 3K with this powder with no problem.

I have a friend loading exclusively Vihtavouri powders and he claims to easily smoke the Barnes manual with 275gr NonCons as far as velocity is concerned.

I still think there is a place for a Raptor in .620 caliber.

Perhaps I should consult Rob about some sort of SABOT......To be Continued

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Michael,

I will highly recommend for 375H&H using AA2460. 75gr with solid(BBW#13 of course)=2745!

77gr with NonCon=2885..book max velocity 3gr under max charge.

I imagine I can push Raptors to 3K with this powder with no problem.

I have a friend loading exclusively Vihtavouri powders and he claims to easily smoke the Barnes manual with 275gr NonCons as far as velocity is concerned.

I still think there is a place for a Raptor in .620 caliber.

Perhaps I should consult Rob about some sort of SABOT......To be Continued

Hmmmm... A 600 grain .620" Raptor out of the 600 overkill at 2,700 fps. That would turn a hog inside out or make the 600 overkill a plains game gun too Smiler Wink
Would be great to get some Raptor loads up on Ammoguide or similar website. I hope the 375 caliber comes available soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very impressed that the NonCons continue to penetrate straight after the wood block. It really shows that all the petals flies of at the exact same moment and the bullet stays stable.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
flat base block full of vertical wooden dowels spaced so that a bullet would have multiple strikes with air gaps between. This would be another good test to replicate brush.

Michael, when I visit in January I'd be happy to help out with this kind of testing (that is, if you haven't already done it by then, knowing you!).

Meplat

Already in the process of working on similar test equipment. Most likely will take some time to sort out a proper procedure to test bullets on as equal footing as I can come up with. Some trail and error work ahead on this. This is something that has been in the back of my mind for a long time, but with all the terminals that had to be done on many of the new CEBs and North Forks there just has not been time to get started. This is brand new, I have zero data relating to it, and will be starting from scratch on procedure and a process to keep things equal so we might be able to do some comparisons.

quote:
Would be interesting to see how other bullets compare in the dangerous 4x4 test.

Boomy, I concur, but I only have so many 4x4s. I will see what I have, and run through some options on this, along with a better way to line things up as well. What we did Tuesday was sorta off the cuff, but was fun, and interesting, and did show us some things we did not know.

drewhenry

Oh for sure, Sam and I were not even close, even in the 375 B&M to upper velocity. I am sure in the 375 B&M or Sams version, that we could run that Raptor at 2750 with ease. 375 HH, you should be even more, and possibly touching close to 3 grand. Dan and those guys have been shooting this bullet, and tweaking it for accuracy, but I have not bothered to ask what velocity and loads.

Norwegianwoods

I am impressed myself. Even after working with these, shooting probably 1000s of them, testing 100s of them, that 4x4 block, the same sort of shear, and 20 feet impact behind and the terminals afterwards, impressive, yes.

Now all I need to do is carry in the field with me a 4x4 Treated block, see if I can coerce a buffalo to stand still 20 ft behind the 4x4 while I shoot at it with one! rotflmo

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Just FYI and speaking of other work here. After the last barrel strain test I packed up both pressure trace systems and sent them in along with the computer to get PT II up and running, and also give PT 1 a tuneup. Like many things, my computer has not been updated with the latest greatest and was not up to speed to run PT II at all. While I am fairly capable of sorting some things out with computers and such, there are just some things I am not, and don't want to be. This is one. I am getting good updates on the systems, and seems I will be up and running PTs before long on a new tuned up system! I am looking forward to that, have come to be very dependent on the system, and it has allowed me to get to places with the B&Ms that I did not think possible, but it does not lie, too much anyway! It might not be perfect, but it tells very few lies, and I have learned which ones are lies, and what is not!

Other things, I received those two Nikon scopes! Put a 2X8 on one of my 416 B&Ms yesterday! Man, I hate like hell being a "Traitorous Bastard" to Leupold, but I gotta say, I really like these Nikons, and will really like them more if we get some mileage on them and they don't break! Especially considering the "For the Money" issue! Sam took my 475 B&M to do some tune ups on the bolt, and I am mounting the new 1x4 African on the 475 when it returns. I had the first 1x4 African on a 458 B&M for a long time, got some fair use, 200-250 rounds I suppose. Took it off that rifle when I went to Zim with it! Put a 1x4 Leupold on for the African trip, and while it did fine, I really had a hard time seeing as clearly as I would like. More my eyes most likely, but I am seeing the Nikons, without my glasses, very very clear. I am sitting on 3 Leupolds that have to be returned right now! One actually with a busted front lens, one with a black spec right in the middle with the cross hairs that won't go away, and a 2X that has broken cross hairs that have shifted! Time will tell of course if the Nikons hold up, but for right now, I am finding a lot of things I really like about them! Of course, some that I don't care for as well, but I have been using the little Leupolds for 15 years now, and I am accustomed to those size proportions that something slightly bigger here and there seems overly so.

From what I have done so far the big pros to me are, Field of View great, Eye relief good to great, and not an issue at all. Clarity, for me better than the leupolds, it could be my eyes however. I love the easy rear focus adjustment, fast, easy, works great for me. Far superior to the leupold focus. Mechanics, they are great so far. I move it where it is supposed to go, and it goes there! The adjustment knobs are a little big, but they work, and the clicks are positive. Damned new VX3s are not so good on this. The older Vari X did much better in this area.

I know this is terminals, but in some ways it relates, you got to get the bullet to where it needs to be before you can get to the terminals eh? Just more test work going on here too. We will see how it goes with the Nikons!

I have to get busy loading some things just to have on the shelf! I swear, I have shot the shelves clean, I don't even have a 50 B&M loaded to shoot, nor 416, or anything! Going to load some today and this weekend to at least have something to grab if I need it!

Later
Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I have Michael's 475 with that beautiful stock!!! Oh man it is going to be hard to take that one back to SC. This 475 B&M may be my favorite of the B&Ms. I've been very impressed with its performance. As you guys know I have all the B&Ms except a 9.3. Michael sure knew what he was doing when he designed these rounds. With a B&M and a BBW#13 I see no reason to have the ultra big bores. Now that is if you are bolt trash! Just picking!

Lots of trees, sticks and twigs to come I'm sure. We might even throw in some bones!

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't these look like they are meant to be together?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael:

Ref the "wood test".....please take these comments as constructive. As you know I took some CEB #13's for 450Marlin to Natal for the PH course this past Oct and a few days of follow-on PG hunting.

Some things to think about: a) 4x4 treated are relatively soft pine and may not reflect the harder Mopani or the various Acacia trees/bushes both dry and green. b) The 4x4 provides a flat surface with a more or less consistent density through the entire thickness being struck by another flat surface (bullet end) that may not provide any deflection but might even act to "square" the impact and reduce deflection. c) The direction of the wood grain, either the bullet passing between the layers (as in the test photos above) or through the layers, may have a nominally different result in after wood contact penetration.

Maybe try some tests using some round posts/polls or log sections. They would provide a angled impact surface, varying thickness depending on where on the radius the bullet hits and varying grain direction/resistance as the bullets pass through.

Please don't take my observations in the wrong way as I am a CEB convert.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Michael, got my Nikon African 1-4x20 todaay. Great looking scope! I ordered it from MidSouth, Fed-ex just brought it. This is the first scope that I have bought that came with lens covers, a neat extra.

Now I have to mount it on my Lott.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at every picture on this thread, all those pretty expanded bullets of creative designs and displayed as the new generation of killing power personified..The trees blown to hell, bullet catching boxes blown to hell and paper scatter heather and yon, therory both sinsible and some ridiculas, bullets made of every material except adobe and I think I will go to work on that and pimp "Adobe bullets Inc." guarentee to cause extreme internal damage and will be hell on wheels when used on varmints...

I am also looking at my office window seal and I have about 100 or so bullets taken from big game animals, and they look the same as what I have seen on this thread..OMG!

I see the monolithics and they are the same..I recall when every one was appalded at Nosler Partitions because THEY BLEW THE FRIGGEN FRONT PORTION OFF, the same with Barnes, it was unaceptable, but now its OK (it always was)... Now we have the perfect smooth round little balls ala Swift A Frames, just like the later Noslers and the siracco, the interlock, and on and on. Some don't cause much damage because folks wanted pretty expanded bullets for their window seal and over penetration made them disapear!! and those cutting wings were no longer acceptable, they made gutting a foul smelling chore..I liked them and so did Woodleigh.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED JUST THE FOLKS PIMPING THE BULLETS and God bless them, they are hard at work and thats the American way, at least they ain't on welfare!!! tu2

Even the gunwritters have run out of material to write about so they write the same stuff over and over and the magazines get smaller and smaller, higher and higher.

lads, I think we have peaked! horse space

The only answer left today is spend your money practicing your shooting, any of these new and old bullets work it you stick them in the right spot..The only thing about that is, its at odds with these bullshit conversations we have and that is important othewise we might have to get a real job....oopps diggin

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have looked at every picture on this thread, all those pretty expanded bullets of creative designs and displayed as the new generation of killing power personified..

I am also looking at my office window seal and I have about 100 or so bullets taken from big game animals, and they look the same as what I have seen on this thread..

I see the monolithics and they are the same..I recall when every one was appalded at Nosler partitions because THEY BLEW THE FRIGGEN FRONT PORTION OFF, the same with Barnes, it was unaceptable, but now its OK (it always was)... Now we have the perfect smooth round little balls ala Swift, just like the later Noslers and the siracco, the interlock, and on and on. Some don't cause much damage because folks wanted pretty and those cutting wings were no longer acceptable..I liked them and so did Woodleigh.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED JUST THE FOLKS PIMPING THE BULLETS and God bless them, they are hard at work and thats the American way!!! sofa

Even the gunwritters have run out of material to write about so they write the same stuff over and over..

I think we have peaked! horse space

The answer now is spend your money practicing your shooting, any of these new and old bullets work it you stick them in the right spot..The only thing about that is, its at odds with these bullshit conversations..oopps diggin

The Nosler Partition and the hollow point brass bullets work in the same way but the brass ones are more lethal. Don't look at the bullets but the performance. The end goal is not what the bullets look like so much but the terminal performance. The BBW13 nose profile penetrates the best. The hollow point brass non cons and raptors do more damage and penetrate more. Again the goal is not a pretty mushroom but affect. Brass petals of the hollow points are sharp and cut through game better than rounded random lead blobs. So other bullets work? Yes. Are some better than others? Yes. I think the bullets created and tested here are the best.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Atkinson

I was wondering why you have not visited the terminal thread. Almost everywhere else you have made some dumbass comments, I couldn't imagine you could resist this thread as well?

quote:
I am also looking at my office window seal and I have about 100 or so bullets taken from big game animals, and they look the same as what I have seen on this thread..

Hey thanks! Re-Confirms everything I already know!

quote:
I have looked at every picture on this thread

animal

I wish someone had taught you how to read as well! Maybe you could have got something out of it?

quote:
appalded at Nosler partitions because THEY BLEW THE FRIGGEN FRONT PORTION OFF,it was unaceptable, but now its OK

And you are qualified in what way to compare the Nosler Partition to a NonConventionl brass Bullet? Rest assured, I have not only tested both in test medium, but have used both of them in the field, and a Nosler Partition is No NonCon! Not even close! You mention "Blow" or "Blew", well I don't think that a Nosler Partition Blows. I would think it more akin to a "Wipe", and a brass NonCon more akin to "Explosive". Or, while a Nosler is "Wiping" it's nose, a BBW#13 NonCon is "Blowing" it's nose, big difference in how it reacts with animal trauma.

quote:
NOTHING HAS CHANGED JUST THE FOLKS PIMPING THE BULLETS

NOW WOULD YOU PLEASE CLARIFY EXACTLY WHO AND WHAT YOU MEAN BY THIS COMMENT?

Michael

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Hi Michael have you compared the 570g TSX, 570g Woodleigh and 570g A-Frame out of a 500 Jeffery or 500 NE? If not, I have some 570g TSX's and A-Frames I can spare for the test. By the way I'm shooting them out of a CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery with a 1 in 10" twist at 2300 fps.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny post AtkinsonSmiler

The fact is that it is within bullet construction we had the most improvements the last years when it comes to the tools we use when hunting.
The rifles have not changed much. The same with mounts, cases, cartridges and scopes.
Not much improvements to find there.

The bullets have changed and improved a lot.

The first Barnes X bullet that came was not very good, specially at high speeds. The worst thing was not that it lost its petals. The worst was that it lost them in a non controlled manner and often lost one or two of them and often at different times, making the rest of the bullet change direction.
Because of this I stopped using the Barnes X in my 6.5-06. I started to use the Swift A-frame and I still consider it to be a very good bullet.
Even Barnes saw that their old X bullet was not perfect and have today much improved their bullets that performs very much better.

Of course you can pick out perfect shaped mushroom of old construction bullets of a carcass. But very often you can't.
With the modern bullets today, you can either do that much more reliably or you will much more often have a full penetration so you can't find the bullet.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Atkinson.
Try them before passing judgement.
A closed mind learns nothing.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Hi Michael have you compared the 570g TSX, 570g Woodleigh and 570g A-Frame out of a 500 Jeffery or 500 NE? If not, I have some 570g TSX's and A-Frames I can spare for the test. By the way I'm shooting them out of a CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery with a 1 in 10" twist at 2300 fps.

Hi Chuck!

My main computer has shut down for the evening, and I swear I just don't remember what I have tested in .510???? I am sure I have not tested the Barnes TSX. I have a 510 Wells I use for testing 51s, and I think I have Swifts, and maybe Woodleighs too, and some North Forks.

I have tested the 570 BBW#13 Solid and it's matching 535 BBW#13 NonCon.

I will look and see tomorrow what we have done in .510 and put it up for you. If you don't see something, remind me! I forget things these days!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much Michael, an amazing piece of work. I'm on page 18 of 210 trying to catch up.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Chuck

Oh my god! Don't try to do it all at once, it will make you dizzy! You are welcome!

Keep a lookout I bet there are some 51s in there from time to time, I know we have done several, but don't recall exactly what off the top of my head! We have done way too much for me to remember everything. I keep good data however, at least most of the time!

No thanks needed!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Atkinson - what a stupid post you made. I must say that I am not impressed at all.. Stupid is actually very, very polite... I dont think you qualify to pass judgement on these bullets.. And you obviously dont have a f...... clue about what you are talking about..
If you only have such silly statements to write, then please keep quiet.. Also for your own reputation... Smiler

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:

Chuck

Took a look at my data and we have tested a few .510s. Going through the photos now and I will post them as I find them and come to them, in no particular order of course. But this should put .510 here in one place for you! Some of the tests are some dated, and some I don't have much data on.

This modified Barnes banded I did is a classic mistake of changing the bullet to work in a POS rifle! That big Ruger I have is a nice rifle--11 lbs, long as from here to downtown, I have done nothing to the rifle to get it to feed, no need to, I will NEVER in my life take it anywhere because of it's size, so it's of little use to me, other than an excellent test rifle. To modify a bullet so it will work in an action--Well, it's just pure stupid, and ignorant in the extreme! Sacrifice performance in the field so that you save a few bucks getting the rifle to work proper? No! Wrong Move! Modify the RIFLE--Not the Bullet!

Same bullet in another test just shows how it cannot be relied upon for any sort of consistency.

And this is what begins to happen with a better designed bullet.

Sam brought one of his 500 Nitros a few times as well. We were testing some of the early 2 band BBW#13 Prototypes in copper, and later in brass I think, here is a copper one, some of the first BBW#13s in doubles. While the two band proved it's worth, and Sam still loves the thing, it was just not versatile enough to load in various .510 cartridges, not enough neck tension in many cases.

From some of this early work with copper, we even learned how to make it shear similar to what a brass bullet does.

From that point on as far as the bands are concerned we went through several generations of trail and error to get the 4 band system that has become final, 3 top, 1 bottom, best of all worlds in my opinion, covers all bases, and is very versatile in all cartridges we have worked with.

Below the final configuration of the .510 caliber BBW#13 Solids at a lower and slightly higher velocity

Like all the BBW#13 Solids, while it does very well at lower velocities, it does very well at higher velocity as well!

And the Same for it's matching BBW#13 NonCon in .510.

Some of the first POI tests at 50 yards with the BBW#13 Solid/NonCon Match. This is common in every single rifle I have ever tested in all calibers. By the way, this is a very very pleasant shooting load in this rifle! Pretty fair accuracy as well, if I could have shot better those would be in one hole I am sure of it!

And Chuck, that is everything I can find in .510 that I have done. Honestly, after testing the BBW#13 NonCon I saw little need to do much more with other conventional bullets. So I have not.

I also checked my .510 inventory and I have let it dwindle down to near nothing over the last couple of years. I am so geared in my rifles to .500 caliber, that I don't do much in .510. I still have a couple of .510 Alaskans, a shorty Ruger #1 that I had Brian at SSK convert some years ago, and a Marlin Stainless as well. But, the 50 B&M Alaskan has replaced those for what I would do with a big bore lever. The 500 MDM and 50 B&M have totally done away with any thoughts of a .510 in my future. So stock has dwindled to very few bullets left in .510 besides some BBW#13s which I keep.

I can test anything in these guns, but I can tell you now that the various premiums will do dandy, the Barnes TSX at velocity will probably do between 23-25 inches in the test medium, expand proper, and do an excellent job. The Woodleighs are a little soft, I think more geared to 500 Nitro velocity, they over expand at higher velocities. The North Forks would be great, and equal to or best the Swifts, would also be in the 22-25 inch category at equal or close velocities. Buffalo with the TSX, North Forks, and Swifts, for sure and would do a good job. Woodleighs for thinner skinned game at some lower velocity. BBW#13s when you want to drop them in the dirt quickly! HEH...........

Of course I would be happy to test anything you wanted to send some samples of. These days I like to have 6 bullets to work with. In case I screw something up!

Hope this helps some.

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael,
Since when did you quit your day job to pimp bullets? Wink

As a reward for Ray's first post on the Terminals Thread: Another picture for him to look at, one he might not have to study too hard to understand ...
That post resembles this picture, equally enlightening.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks Michael! It seems like for solids the 570 CEB BBW #13 Solid or (second choice) the Barnes 570g Banded solid are the ticket. The S&H solid looks great too, if only they made a 570g version?

I can send you 10 570g TSX and 10 570g Swift A-Frames if you could test them at around 2300 fps out of your 510 Wells. Just PM me your shipping address

I'm thinking the 1 in 10" twist rate of my 500 Jeffery should only help things.

And even though I know you don't want it, thanks again!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Michael,
Since when did you quit your day job to pimp bullets? Wink

As a reward for Ray's first post on the Terminals Thread: Another picture for him to look at, one he might not have to study too hard to understand ...
That post resembles this picture, equally enlightening.

animal

I can't think of anything more appropriate for the occasion!

clap

Michael