THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MeplatFS:
How about this as an idea for some increased penetration for the Non-Cons.

We have established that the right combination of meplat size and ogive angle provide the best penetration (i.e. as per BBW#13 solids).

However, when the #13 Non-Con shears its petals, it no longer has that ideal shape and therefore is not going to penetrate as far as it could compared to a correctly shaped bullet with weight eqivalent to the rear section of the Non-Con.

That being the case, why can't we design the bullet so that when the petals shear, the remaining section's nose shape more closely approximates the #13 Nose shape? This could perhaps be achieved by a deeper and angled undercut, so that when the petals shear, there remains an angled nose, rather than a full calibre flat nose.

What say you?

MFS

Sounds doable.

I'm going to hypothesize that if successful, the trade off will be reduced tissue damage. The present noncon turns into a roto-rooter type of ripping through the flesh on its way to wherever causing a really bad/good wound channel. The #13 solid actually passes through the flesh causing less damage in the wound channel but penetrating deeper. coffee.

Picture of MeplatFS
posted Hide Post
As I see it, the Non-Con will continue to do the same damage as it did before, the difference being that once the petals have sheared off, the remaining body will penetrate deeper.

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: 10 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I see it, the Non-Con will continue to do the same damage as it did before, the difference being that once the petals have sheared off, the remaining body will penetrate deeper.

From the peanut gallery: As I see it, once the petals have sheared off the Non Con, what is left is somewhat similar to a Cup point solid..of course this could be fine tuned a bit I guess by an undercut just ahead of where the hollow in the bullet ends so the shearing is somewhat assisted and the resulting cylinder has a little smoother nose profile...but I guess we come back to the question of "how much penetration" does one need with a NOT SOLID bullet? Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made some a long time ago for Michael to test. They were ugly bullets that had a #13 nose and a #13 angle cut at the bottom of the hollow. The nose was supposed to blow and leave a #13 solid to penetrate. Is this what you are talking about. Never tested just too ugly and the non con penetrates just fine.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
I made some a long time ago for Michael to test. They were ugly bullets that had a #13 nose and a #13 angle cut at the bottom of the hollow. The nose was supposed to blow and leave a #13 solid to penetrate. Is this what you are talking about. Never tested just too ugly and the non con penetrates just fine.

Sam

Hehehe Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Esskay:
quote:

Sam

Hehehe Big Grin
I'm not on my laptop right now but I think Michael did test the mushroom head bullets and they did work as well as the standard NonCon configuration.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
“ I found one of my 30/30s yesterday! It was one of the old Lawmen 16 inch guns I had messed with years ago. Wonderful little thing it is, always really liked those little 16 inch guns. California Assault rifle I would think!.. Micheal “

Hey Michael , be carefull , someone might think (???) That’s why I bought it for Big Grin .. And now try to “ Ban “ them all Eeker

For the Record : My 30/30 is a " Hunting Rifle " Wink

quote:
‘ Seems Dan will make some copper ones for the communist zone er um I mean Condor zone out here in Cali. Boom Stick …”

I was under the general impression, the “ CEB Brass Alloy - NonCons “, were “ LEAD FREE BULLETS “, as is ?

I'm hoping " Dan " decides to get them approved / Certified.

quote:

§355. Ammunition Authorized for Taking Big Game and Nongame Birds and Nongame Mammals in Condor Range.
In addition to those conditions provided for in sections 353 and 475, only centerfire rifle, centerfire pistol, muzzleloading, shotgun slug, and rimfire ammunition using projectiles certified pursuant to this section as containing no lead (as defined by subsection 353(h)) shall be used for the taking of big game and nongame birds and nongame mammals in condor range (see subsection 353(h)).
· (a) Ammunition Certification Process. Any person or manufacturer of ammunition or projectiles wishing to have their ammunition or projectiles certified for hunting big game or nongame birds and nongame mammals in condor range shall submit the information identified in subsections (b)(1)-(5) to the California Department of Fish and Game, Wildlife Programs Branch, Sacramento. The Department shall accept or reject the request within 60 days of receipt. The ammunition or projectiles whose request has been accepted will be added to the list entitled “Certified ammunition and projectiles for hunting big game and nongame birds and nongame mammals in condor range” maintained by the Department.
· (b) Information required for consideration of certification:
o (1) Name of Manufacturer of ammunition or projectile, address, and contact information.
o (2) For ammunition certifications, information shall specify as to caliber, cartridge designation, and projectile. Projectile specifications shall include unique identifying characteristics and percent content of lead by weight.
o (3) For projectile certifications, information shall specify as to unique identifying characteristics and percent content of lead by weight.
o (4) Signed statement verifying that all information provided is accurate.
o (5) Digital color image of projectile or ammunition.
· (c) The Department shall determine, based on information supplied, if the projectile contains less than the percent lead content by weight as defined in 353(h).
· (d) The Department shall update the list of certified ammunition and projectiles no less than once annually and make it available to hunters.
· (e) The Department shall decertify and remove from the list any projectiles or ammunition if information is received that it does not meet the standards set forth in subsection (b) within 60 days of receipt

PAPI
fishing

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Meplat

What you say is correct, and it could be done, and it would work. Sam did make some of these undercut bullets, I have some left over from that as well. I think I even busted a couple of them in the medium, and of course they did well. I don't recall exactly. But the whole thing is, in its current form, the BBW#13 NonCon outpenetrates every conventional made in the caliber, all in it's class, and as an expanding or trauma inducing bullet it already has more than enough penetration as is. When a 500 gr Swift, Woodleigh, Nosler, penetrate from 19-24 inches in the test medium, and the 420 BBW#13 NonCon penetrates to 28-30 inches, how much more is needed? That correlates to 50-60 inches in animal tissue, rule of thumb.

No terminals today boys, but been on the range doing load development and pressure traces on the 458 B&M and 500 MDM.

Monday morning making a plan to take my big trailer down to the news paper place and get about 5000 lbs of dry test medium. That should hold us a bit!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I suggested this a while back and you can go back and look at them. They look like a penis and might appeal to a certain demographic but the principal is a decent one. The non con is designed to do maximum damage and great penetration. The sharp and rough full diameter solid left over does a great job doing maximum damage. If maximum penetration is desired the flat point is there.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The brass being used has 2% lead. To get Cali legal you need 1% or under. The brass being used gives great performance so CEB decided to make a copper version for California and those have not been made yet.

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom Stick,

Thanks for clearing up my " Confusion " Confused

I'll have to wait for the " COPPER VERSIONS " thumb

1. .223 cal
2. .30 cal
3. .458 cal (45/70) or (.50 cal Muzzleloader w/Sabot)
4. 12 gauge Slugs..?
5. .25 cal Pellets ..... ?
6. .22 cal Rimfire............?

Oh well, good thing I have a few " Slings " laying around the house.

Although, I can't seem to hit anythig with one homer

PAPI
fishing

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I think a 12 gauge raptor would be cool and high power BBW 13 air rifle pellets could be deadly!

Picture of MeplatFS
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sam

Sam

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Mind you, I'm not advocatng a full #13 undercut, just a partial one to improve the shape and aviod the full diameter flat nose. Possibly also to provide a definite petal shear location for uniform shearing.

I agree that a catridge needs to be handsome as well as effective. It needs to look like something that you want to fire through one of your guns.

Michael

You're right, how much is enough? Do the Non-Cons currently have sufficient penetration? Yes. Can we give then a bit more? Maybe. Will this advance the design further if it works? Of course. Isn't that what you want. To push the limits and exceed them?

Knowing that I had 'several' firearms, some non-shooter asked me how many guns were enough. I responded that having too many guns was barely enough!

MFS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't the nose be very wide and hard to feed?

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

On the Raptor you could do a 45 degree undercut between the first and second bands to create an undercut and a say 75% meplat but that will affect the BC creating more drag. An undercut between the bands on the lever guns would make sense considering the lower velocity and extended penetration. It makes more sense to have a steep cut between the bands than a shallow longer angle. So in short I can see this on the lever gun, raptor or even the carnivoire but not the regular non con.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

when the present noncons shear, the flat surface of the remaining cylinder is very rough and full caliber makiing a difference and IMO in tissue damage. I suppose in your suggestion, the remaining metplat surface (67% of caliber) would be very rough but that surface would be smaller than the cylinder surface which is full caliber. If you're talking about increasing damage at the loss of penetration, you're back to the noncon. I believe your design would do the opposite, increase penetration at the cost of reduced tissue damage. Confused

Picture of MeplatFS
posted Hide Post
I think that the greatest tissue damage is being done by the expanding nose and petals that are shearing off to cause multiple secondary wound channels radiating outwards from the primary wound channel.

This would not change and tissue damage would still be extreme. I am only concerned with the solid shank, which is now penetrating much like a standard #13 solid, but not as effeciently. If the efficiency can be increased, then bullet weights can be reduced while still maintaining excellent penetration.

Lighter bullets mean more velocity and greater flexibility for smaller cartridges (like the Super Shorts). We also know that more velocity tends to translate to incresed penetration with the #13 solids, so it's a win win situation.

Testing will bear out the results I guess.

MFS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Testing will bear out the results I guess.
MFS

Agree. The proof of the pudding is always in the tasting. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for the day when Powdered Metal technology (thats were you can alter the alloy composition over the length of an object. Just like the connecting rods in a modern car) is used in bullets.
You could have the nose brittle and act as a raptor and have the tail more malable and act like pure copper.
It would be a lot of fun to play with.

Cheers John

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am waiting for someone to seat a 209 in the nose for explosive penetration! shocker

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only 196 pages. . . . . ? tu2

Michael; I could have told you from the beginning that this thread would go nowhere!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That could get someone in jail
When I was a kid I would tape a bb on the primer of a 12 gauge shell add a tail, throw it up in the air and it would go boom when it hit the ground. I took the shot out but who knows what it would do with the shot in it. I think the non con hollow point works great as is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
I am waiting for someone to seat a 209 in the nose for explosive penetration! shocker

You're way behind. Been there done that! HEH HEH as someone would say.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
got pics?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Well I am pretty much useless for the rest of today! Just returned from getting a load of test medium! I wore out before I got to 5000 lbs! I managed to get 3600 lbs, and told them I had all I wanted for today!!!!! I have it backed up to the back door on the range, that's where it will stay until tomorrow! Then I will unpack in the morning! I suppose 5000 lbs was a little ambitious! 3600 will do for awhile, I hope!

Whew!
Later
Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
No rest! Wink I feel guilty not being there helping you. I bet its damn good excerxise. You need a lab assistant to do all that heavy stuff. Don't go getting a heart attack on us. You are too valuable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Well I am pretty much useless for the rest of today! Just returned from getting a load of test medium! I wore out before I got to 5000 lbs! I managed to get 3600 lbs, and told them I had all I wanted for today!!!!! I have it backed up to the back door on the range, that's where it will stay until tomorrow! Then I will unpack in the morning! I suppose 5000 lbs was a little ambitious! 3600 will do for awhile, I hope!

Whew!
Later
Michael

Minions--you need minions--
old

us old farts are suppose to get minions to do manual labor

jumping

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy, Yeah, good exercise on the old man! My little Lab Assistant went with me on the last trip and did her best to help out, but she had school today! LOL......

I swear I thought I was going to have a damned stroke, no crap. I really got over heated going through that paper trailer picking up bundles out of the loose and loading them on the fork lift. It's hot in that thing! I was wet from head to toe afterwards in sweat. Old people sweat more you know! Start to smell too, that's what I hear anyway!

Cross, I feel like this--- old

Hey, you making a plan for DSC this year again? I made reservations for me, momma, Mercedes, Sam and Andrew so far, and possible my boys might come as well, just have the whole damned crowd there! They better not be aggravating either!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael

yep will be at DSC Was so much fun I might get a room instead of commuting-its two hours from my place to downtown Dallas. Where did you decide to stay?

Please bring the boys--they will love the boothbabes- shocker.

If they are nice I might could slide them done to try to kill a piggy or two.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Cross, we are staying at the Hyatt. I doubt you will drag the boys too far from the beer! They love to pretend to hunt, but mostly they just drink beer! LOL......... Fortunately they drink cheap beer, bud lite, more like yellow water I reckon, ain't much to it, but they think they are doing something! rotflmo

BoothBabes? I must have missed that? I don't see things like that. HEH....

M

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

A photo says it all! The 30/30 just changed it's spots!

Michael

so, what will they do in a 30-06? ..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Something like this
FYI Just in case you medium bore people missed this. Looks like a good bullet.
quote:
I am not sure if this is the "Best" or the "Wildest" that I saved for the last of yesterdays test work?

Let me introduce you to The CEB BBW#13 "Switcheroo"! For lack of a better term for right now. This is something our very own Boomy must take credit for, another one of his WILD ASS ideas, that happens to be pretty spiffy! Now for the life of me I can't figure why Dan did these in a useless rat caliber like .308, but this is what I got, so I had to work with it. It is a 130 gr BBW#13 Solid on one end, and a NonCon HP on the other.

Now guys, I have mentioned this to you about the "Switcheroo" before, but I have to go over this again with you. Now I am not considered a "Cheap Bastard" or even frugal. However, one does have to take into account the Economic impact of any service, or product. This has to be a top consideration. Now I am not in this bullet business, so that has no bearing, but I know Shooters and Gun folks very well, and you know, I hate to say this, but you bastards are CHEAP! I know this from years of experience with you! Ever sit at a gun show behind the table? If so, you know what I mean!

Now, in thinking this "Switcheroo" through, it is an amazing concept, a BBW#13 Solid on one side, A NonCon HP on the other, you just turn it around, and load it for what you need at the time. One bullet, does all. As we all know, the NonCon HP version costs a few more dollars per box than the solid, it takes a little more work to get a NonCon HP. Naturally. So to use the Switcheroo as a solid just did not make good sense to me, economically. Why shoot a NonCon cost bullet as a cheaper Solid? Well I did come up with a couple of things to the favor of good economics. One, less foot print on you bullet shelves, you would no longer need multiple boxes of Solids and NonCons, you could get by with one box that does it all. In some cases, that could be very important. Another is shipping things out of country, again, would not have to do Solids and NonCons and would save half the shipping and aggravation, and that could very well make up for the extra cost. So that is a big positive and might just pay for itself.

But what about normal guys, it just don't pan out I think. So I put some more thought into this and I really did come up with the most excellent solutions to this problem of economics that gives you "DOUBLE BANG FOR THE SAME DOLLAR!"

YES--You heard me correctly! Now you can have DOUBLE BANG for the same dollar! Here is how you do it!

First load the bullet as a SOLID. Shoot it, RECOVER IT, and turn it around then shoot it as a NonCon Hollow Point the second time around!

Now I do admit there are some flaws to be sorted out, such as proper recovery after the first shot, but I leave that to each individual to sort out! In other words, I figured it out for you, but you have to do something, after all it's you that is cheap to begin with!

Obviously I would not leave you totally out in the cold on this concept, so Sam and I put it to the test to see how it would work!
rotflmo

I wanted a good test for this, so I picked a 308 rat rifle I had not had in my hands in 6 years, like I said not much call for that sort of thing here. The scope had 6 years of dust on the lens, you could not even see out of it, so Sam had to give that a cleaning. We also was able to use Sam's 300 Winchester for the second round of tests with the bullet.

We loaded of course solid end first and tested both rifles with the solids!

Then turned right around to test the "Double Bang For the Buck" theory!

And here we go!

Same 4 bullets in each, 308 and 300.

A note about the solid end. Penetration was extreme for a 130 gr rat caliber. In each cartridge, 40-42 inches dead straight, then some started turning a bit at the end of penetration, a couple of them found sideways at the end, some found dead straight ahead.

On the NonCon HP end a phenomena occurred that does not happen with the straight NonCon HP and that was more velocity gave less overall penetration? Regardless of that it was more than enough for any rat type rifle, and more than any conventional rat bullet can come to. Below I thought it was of note to show you the massive trauma inflicted upon the 2 inch witness cards. A tremendous amount of trauma inflicted by the 300 Winchester load.

So there you go boys! You see the results, the tests were successful on every count, the solid worked great as a solid, the NonCon worked great as a NonCon, I gave you an economical feasible solution for doubling your bang for the dollar, I can no longer see any downsides to this bullet! And for those of you that want a long range rat caliber bullet, as you notice the NonCon end is shorter than the Solid end, there is a reason for that, Sam and I finally figured Dan is pretty sharp on this, the NonCon end is shorter so you can add a high BC tip to it, fit in the magazine and rock and roll! The Solid portion would also serve as a Boat Tail, even increasing that BC. Of course, used as a solid, you have the famous "Hollow Base" design we discovered as well! Good lord, what a bullet!

HEH HEH HEH.....

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael, flip the page to 198 !!!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
so, what will they do in a 30-06? ..

If you go back a few page(s), you will find both 308 Win and 300 Win Mag test.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
my night rig is a 270... and i've never been a fan of the caliber, it certainly works... but i've got a 30-06 barrel, sitting in my office, ready to go on it....

heh

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The 270 will be 110 grains. Should be speedy and devastating in a 270 Win. Should be good for 400+ yards.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What do you think about a Noncon handgun bullet?
Thinking the 44 caliber for 44 magnum and 444
Would need to be a flat base or hollow base, minimal banding, undercut, larger hole for lower sheer velocity.
Maybe the light 22 Non Con could be used in the 5.7 FN. Sadly the 5.7 FN showed how deadly it is being used at the Fort Hood shooting. The Noncon could make that tiny round a heck of a lot more deadly. A handgun with 20 round mags shooting 40 grain 22 cal non cons at 2,000 FPS. That would be quite impressive

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just in from Zim. My friend Jim got another bull elephant and its going to go 70 lbs maybe. Another one down to a #13 solid.

Jim said PH loves the #13 but said you better be careful in a group of elephants, you might kill 2 or 3 with one shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Volume discount bullet Big Grin

Cheers, John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

The penetration on test media and the reports on animals are fantastic. I was presented with a situation this past weekend and didn't take the shot. I would like to ask what you and the hunters that have been using these bullets think the outcome might have been.

Rifle: 375H&H
Bullet: 275gr BBW#13 NonCon at approx 2800fps
Distance: 30-75 feet

I passed on two shots at gorgeous Bobcats because there was a slight bit of brush between me and them. This brush was mostly the leaves of mesquite trees. I doubt there were any twigs more than .080". I have seen some fairly stout bullets get deflected by not much brush.

Anybody think I could have made a clean kill?

Has anyone done testing of BBW#13 bullets against brush between you and intended target to see deflection?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member