THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alasken-Oz,

As I said before great report. Sounds like you had fun except for the customs crap. Non cons are incredible bullets.

Sam

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Alaskan Oz

First Class Reporting! beer

I was particularly interested in those 255 9.3 NonCons, and they sound like they do a number on the pigs! I am sure they will on many other things as well! I have a load of those things myself! But yet to give them field experience, thanks for doing that!

quote:
Miles and I had CONFIDENCE every time we pulled the trigger and launched a Non Con

That is what it is about!

Great job, no, EXCELLENT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

Now, like everyone else, MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEH HEH.....

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
if worse comes to worse and your riles are confiscated I have a box full of CZ 550's in .375 all loaded with Woodlieghs that you can borrow

I'd just as soon be in Hell!

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So... this is what can you expect from a 275/.375 CEB Non Con at only '2,500 fps'

and to think, I am pushing them over 2800fps.

I might have a new opportunity to splatter a pig..................

'Squatch

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just in, Raptor swooped down and took a deer. Quick report and more to follow. I shot a deer this morning at 256 yards with a 308 Winchester and a 130 grain Raptor loaded right at 3000 fps. Deer was quartering to me and I turned my scope turret to what I would with my match loads. Shot it in the neck shoulder area. BANG FLOP!!!!!!!!!! Not even a wiggle.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Good shooting!
The raptor got to sink its talons into another kill.
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Just in, Raptor swooped down and took a deer. Quick report and more to follow. I shot a deer this morning at 256 yards with a 308 Winchester and a 130 grain Raptor loaded right at 3000 fps. Deer was quartering to me and I turned my scope turret to what I would with my match loads. Shot it in the neck shoulder area. BANG FLOP!!!!!!!!!! Not even a wiggle.

Sam

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
quote:
if worse comes to worse and your riles are confiscated I have a box full of CZ 550's in .375 all loaded with Woodlieghs that you can borrow

I'd just as soon be in Hell!

animal

Now thats funny right there! Don't care who you are; thats funny!

One of a kind Michael. . . . one of a kind!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
308 Raptor damage. Shot at 256 yards striaght on. Bullet lodged in hide just in front of ham.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the bullet base went mighty straight after cutting up a bunch of bone. Found where one petal went into shoulder on left side. Could not find any petals. Having been shot at 256 yards with a 308 I'm very impressed with this bullet. For those worried about meat damage the shoulders, hams and loins were perfect. If you put the bullet in the right place you don't mess up meat. Where this bullet goes it makes a big mess.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That's pretty good for a 308 and 250 yards. Good shot. What was the total penetration length? Bone crunching, straight deep penetration and bang flop. Great performance I'd say.

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The total penetration was from the front of the deer to the front of the ham. The base was in the hide and fell on the ground when I pulled the skin down. Went through gut mast. 30 inches maybe.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Special note... 30" of penetration on game with bone breaking and this is from a .2 SD bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvc3qCRBKVg

This is the shot I took with the Raptor. You can barely see the deer in the green patch way down the powerline. The Camera is a Contour Roam mounted on my scope. Oh and you can hear the thwop of the bullet at the end.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That's awesome that you hear it hit! Shows how far that shot was.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Question
What does the bullet weigh after it lost the petals? 100 grains?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll weigh it when I get home.

Boom Stick, The base weighed 93 grains.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam, great video.

I love the hat-cam. Would love to know more about it.

When you get the chance can you pm me some details; ssahuntinfo@optusnet.com.au

Thanks in advance,
Paul.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The performance to weight defies convention. The bullets are comparable in price to premium bullets and top quality but the savings on weight and exceeding on performance is a great "value".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

The camera is mounted to my scope. It is a Contour Roam. It will be fantastic on close up hunting. Got to make a mount to fit on the sling swivel of my doubles.

Boom Stick we are non conventional now.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam, I checked out the Contour Cam web site, neat !

I wonder if Mike would be happy to have one mounted on his rifle.
Just thinking that maybe a whole bunch of C.E.B/B&M rifle/ bullet testing on buff would be neat to have on video ???

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Michael might be too rough on it but the way he shoots buffalo it would be fun to see.

I wish this camera had a zoom but like I said its going to be great for close battle. I can't seem to find a deer close here lately. More to come I hope. Lots of bullets to test.

Sam

one of us
posted Hide Post
Impressive thwop and front end damage on that deer from a Raptor. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Micheal, I got to see some CEB #13s today, both solids and non-cons in .375" Both are great looking bullets

Andy brought them to a DWJ shoot here today. From what I could tell, they did a FINE job of dispathing DWJs. No bullets were recovered. All DWJ that were hit died on the spot, no tracking was needed. lol

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The world is once again free from the terrors of Dangerous Water Jugs, Watermelons, and Exploding Coconuts.

The NonCons worked flawlessly. At least 3 others fired my 375 and all hit what they aimed at. I also clobberred a couple with my 600OK.

Jeffe brought his Chrony and I would like to share some data. The following was obtained with a Winchester Model 70 in 375H&H.

BBW#13 300gr Solid 75gr AA2460=2745fps.
Need to back off 1 gr. A bit hard to open bolt and extract. This is a book max load. Barnes manual shows 2692fps.

BBW#13 275gr NonCons, two shots with each load except max:
75gr AA2460=2794&2796fps

76gr 2864&2876fps

77gr 2885&2889

Skipped 78gr

79gr 2945 MAXMAX! This load blew the primer! Found it on the follower! Very difficult to open bolt and extract case.

Future loads with this powder will be limited to 77gr for the 275 NonCon and 74gr for the Solid.

The Barnes manual shows data for 270gr Flatpt Solid as 73gr AA2460=2705 and 80gr=2885MAX!

With the CEB I was able to achieve max book velocity with 3gr less powder.

Next I want to try Viht N540. Book shows 76gr=2766 and MAX being 83.5Cgr=2965 for a 270gr Flatnose Solid. The 300gr Flatnose Solid with this powder yields book figures of 73gr=2600 with max load 80gr=2803.

Sasquatch

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Sasquatch-- we want you with us. Smiler
A blown primer and frozen bolt might want more than 2 grains of margin. Maybe 76 grain? The last 15-20 fps may not be worth it. flame It's your call. you may be dropping down from 70-80k PSI.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct.

No Animal is going to know the difference!

Apparently these things work their wonders down at 2500fps.

I still want to try another powder too.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I have visions of Wile E. Coyote with a black singed face. Those DWGs would be just as dead at 2,600.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
Micheal, I got to see some CEB #13s today, both solids and non-cons in .375" Both are great looking bullets

Andy brought them to a DWJ shoot here today. From what I could tell, they did a FINE job of dispathing DWJs. No bullets were recovered. All DWJ that were hit died on the spot, no tracking was needed. lol

Keith

Keith

Damn, they even dispatch DWJ's with some authority it seems! Bang, splash, flop! BSF! I like the no tracking thing, that's too much work for me.

Sasquatch, glad you got over to Keith and he got a look at the bullets. And you are smoking those 270 NonCons it appears! Gees! Like you already agree with Tanz and Alaskan, 2500 is plenty, and 2700 is smoking, NonCons work either way, don't take chances. I would for sure be in the 75-76 gr area I think. Not any difference from 76 to 77, so 76 is basically topped out.

I spoke with Sam early Saturday morning, just after the murdering of the Dangerous Deer at 250+ yards. I still can't see the deer in that cam, even with my glasses?? So anyway, have to be closer I think for me to see it! I know damned well I could not see it out in the wild that far, much less on a camera. But good anyway I suppose. Anyone see it??? Absolutely incredible performance out of that bullet, they even impress me and exceed what I thought they might be capable of. It appears that this goes across the board in calibers.

My boys got all 3600 lbs of newsprint unloaded yesterday, and stacked neatly ready for use and test work coming up. This should last us a few months I think and get a lot of work done before having to make another big run for medium. I had a whole crowd of youngsters here yesterday, 5 other than my two! Pretty good bunch of boys, never shot any sort of big bore at all. I was busy before they arrived with Andrews 500 MDM, and that gunkote black 500 MDM I decided to keep. Sighting in, fire forming some of the Horneber brass and such as that. I had already shot roughly 50-60 rounds through the two guns myself, so I decided to turn the boys loose with my stainless 500 MDM and let them have a go. I was a good boy, I gave some instructions before allowing them to jump on it. I had them at a proper Dangerous Game distance of 10 yards, Yes, I know, a little long by some standards, but I figured on average 10 yards while long, was maybe a good place to start them at. 2 out of the 5 really enjoyed and wanted to shoot again. So I put them each with three rounds down, and told them to go to work as fast as they could and keep the shots on. They did incredibly well, with my boy Matthew and another one keeping 3 rounds touching and pretty fast, the other kid very good, all inside 2 inches and fast. Good to see youngsters do good with the big guns and enjoy it.

Wow, ESP Raptors, BBW#13 NonCons, BBW#13 Solids, just incredible.

Ya'll have a good day, I think I am going to be rather lazy today!!!!!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
Greetings again, Michael & friends. I've been lurking so I've kept pretty current on things. Hope all has been good with you!
Well, I'm still just an inexperienced, know-nothing mofo, but that didn't stop Obama from being president and it doesn't stop me from having ideas. Difference between me & O is that I don't claim to be something I'm not and he does a whole lot more damage than I do. Anyway, that 130 grain .30/30 flat point sounds to me like it might be differently constructed from the other flat-points you've tested. Am I right? Wrong? I can only guess that meplat was as usual about 67% of caliber.

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Other Than the tip and band placement the construction is pretty much the same.

quote:
Originally posted by someoldguy:
Greetings again, Michael & friends. I've been lurking so I've kept pretty current on things. Hope all has been good with you!
Well, I'm still just an inexperienced, know-nothing mofo, but that didn't stop Obama from being president and it doesn't stop me from having ideas. Difference between me & O is that I don't claim to be something I'm not and he does a whole lot more damage than I do. Anyway, that 130 grain .30/30 flat point sounds to me like it might be differently constructed from the other flat-points you've tested. Am I right? Wrong? I can only guess that meplat was as usual about 67% of caliber.

One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Other Than the tip and band placement the construction is pretty much the same.

Ah, so it's hollow based as a flat point and a Non Con when it's turned around! Amazing what I can learn when I actually read something! Big Grin

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
My son and I had an opportunity to hunt three days in the Selous and it is always an awesome experience.
I will give a report broken into three posts describing rifles, hunt, and terminals, with pictures. Hopefully, there will be a relevant point or two in all the posts.

The first item was to sort out the rifles. My son had to bring in two new rifles this year after a breakin last year.
(pole sana, those were two nice shooting rifles.)
We were able to get two used, CZ 416 Rigbys, in the US. The wood on both was better than average and both were claimed to have only been shot a few times at targets. (From the ‘almost new’ quality of both I would agree.)
While in the USA he loaded up and tested some rounds to arrive at around 2800 fps (probably around 2810-2820 fps when accounting for the drag between muzzle and 20 ft chronograph). These were transported to Tanzania and required a long process of paperwork. When they were finally in his hands we only had two days before going out to a hunt.

(Yes, the wood in number two is pretty. Number one isn’t bad, either, for field grade.)

The first night in possession, I probably ran the bolt a few hundred times in each, with a little “K2 bore polish” in order slick up the feeding a tad. It did produce a noticeable improvement and I was happy. The shocker was when I ran some flatnose solids through the magazine. Even though these rifles where only ten numbers apart in serial number, one of them fed the 350 grain Barnes FLAT-nose smoothly, and the other—caught the lip of the bullet and jammed. That was ‘head’s up’ number 1. Hey guys, what do we do now? Rush order some of those new Barnes partial round-noses? Just-kidding.

I did learn what it would take to feed the solid, just a little push with my fingers from the extended arm, but we decided that the rifle would only be loaded with TSX and serve as the ‘second rifle’. [Now after the hunt I’ve polished the middle ridge of the follower with fine sandpaper, maybe giving it about a 1/32” curvature, and can get the first round to feed with a little slow jostling and the next two to feed fairly well. So ‘better’ but not fixed. Any ideas on what to do next?]

Naturally, both rifles needed some thorough sighting in when out in the bush, which we proceeded to do, with chronograph.

Setting Up the Chrony

It turns out that the noonday sun in the west Selous produced about 2860-2870 fps with 350 grain TSX. That’s pretty good foot-poundage for anyone who cares, about 6400 ftlb, a little more than we asked for but with no pressure signs: nice rounded primers, fired cases slipped out pretty as you please, and no abnormal casehead or length growth. Chronograph was on target because we had some 2650 fps reference rounds that clocked as normal. (No TTSX or CEB talon-tips were available when he loaded up in US so he chose a ‘tried and true’ all-purpose bullet, with flatnose solid backups. 2012 will be here soon, though! I will be putting some blacktips on CEBs.)

One rifle was printing a little under 1.25”, which was alright from a Nissan hood/bonnet. However, the rifle that I was using left me with a nagging question about why only horizontal, 2” groups were printing? It was fine for biggame hunting under 200 yards, but I felt that the rifle could do more. After being satisfied with a ‘zero’ centered 2.5” high at 100 yard, I was ready to try a final 300 yard test. I fired two shots. One printed -9.5” low, centered, a little low, and within a margin of error for 2.5”/100 shot from a carhood, however--the second either missed the vertical A-4 paper (close to US letter) or maybe touched the edge of the cardboard at -9.5”. Was the crosswind that strong? It seemed pretty slow (3-5mph).

The next day noon I had an opportunity to shoot at a reedbuck in a grass meadow across the river from the camp, from sandbags on a wooden bench at a lasered 350 yards. This would be a good, final test, no movement of reticle, ‘meat-on-the-table’. It was a clean miss. The animal was confused, ran a few yards towards the river and camp but looked away from the river and camp. Second shot was a clean miss though dust showed the shot just left of the brisket/chest. (This was confirmed later. A tracker from camp crossed the river and reported no hit. ) After lunch I pondered what could be going on? I thought that I better check the bedding and found out that the rear tang screw had worked loose during all of the sighting-in and the barrel was slightly touching one side of the forearm. I repositioned and carefully tightened everything. The next day it still shot a vertically tight, horizontal group 1.7”, so it continued its relegation to ‘back-up’ only. (It is currently being glass-bedded as I write, but no chance to testfire in DAR.) Our PH friend said that a lot of people would love to hunt with a heavier-calibre rifle that “only” got 1.7” at 100 yards. But it’s not good enough for ‘all around’ and I feel that this receiver-barrel-scope is capable of much more accuracy. Anyway, this is not what one wants for getting ready for dangerous game, but it is one of the many of life’s lessons in hunting.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
The Hunt

The first morning out my son found a nice hartebeest feeding within 200 yards of where I shot a hartebeest last year. His 165 yard shot dropped it with only one surprise. The animal ran about 100 yards and fell down with the legs flopping in the air. I went to look at the impact site to see what kind of blood and spatter might be visible. Meanwhile I heard a second shot as my son was walking towards the animal. It had raised its head and got up and started running away with that distinctive hartebeest gallup. A tracker ran towards my son with shooting sticks, my son waived him away and shot the fleeing animal in the rump/anus, dumping the animal immediately. That bullet did not exit as it was a lengthwise shot and later providing a recovered bullet. (see next post)

The first shot had taken out the lung just behind the heart but exited behind the second lung. There had been a little more angle in the broadside than anticipated.

Son pointing to entry hole on hartebeest.

That afternoon I was able to stalk up on a herd of 20+ buffalo. They were slowly feeding left to right about 75 yards away with a nice male hidden by brush/cows and a need to wait. The tracker set up some shooting sticks about midway between two trees ten yards apart. Personally, I would have rather used one of the trees as a rest and camo, but trackers love to put up those tripods. After some time three cows started to feed up the channel that led to my tripod, with the male still hidden. At about 60 yards I started asking myself why I was standing in the open, playing ‘surveyor’. The cows were non-challant and comfy up to about 45 yards when they didn’t like the look of that surveyor. They bolted and the whole herd ran off.
We saw the herd once more, along with some elephants, and a herd of sable, but darkness descended.

The next morning we got royally stuck in a 5 foot deep trench. One wheel was hanging in the breeze and a person could climb down under the whole car just like some garage mechanics.

Deep. Oh yeah, the winch broke, too.

Nevertheless, all things work together for good. Heading back for camp late in the morning, we got an ‘easy’ stalk on buffalo. We had seen a piece of a herd and tracked them only about 500 yards from the car. Mostly cows and calves with one young herd bull. Our friend asked if I would like it instead of a dagga-boy. With most of the day spent and only one more day left for hunting, I said, ‘let’s do it’. We waited until the bull made a broadside presentation, 110 yards. The herd had already become restless and was moving so as the bull steped into that broadside, I shot. He spun around and ran with the herd. We ran off on a diagonal to their course and cut a nice blood trail. It was bright red with some pink lung indications. Good sign. We followed through trees, some sections of reasonably tall grass and after a couple of hundred more yards wondered why we hadn’t found it or heard it die. There was nothing to do except continue a careful follow-up. Most of you know the routine. Tracker on the blood trail and trying to sense where the buffalo would lay up. PH behind him as ‘responsible’. I was on his heels. About 400 yards from the impact as the crow flies (yes, I GPS’d it) we found the bull laid out under a tree behind a little dirt mound/hill. A second shot from behind the sternum up through the heart and into the top neck provided the insurance.

We found the first bullet beautifully mushroomed on the far skin. The shot was classic as you can see in the photo. Entry was just behind the heart and ‘exit’ was about 90 degree broadside. (The ‘exit’ hole is where the knife cut out the bullet.) The shot was positioned nicely as a classic lung shot. Yet the animal ran almost 500 yards. How do they do that? Yes, I’ve seen that before, but I am always amazed.

Tanzan and Lady

(PS: I don't know how to make the text wrap properly, maybe the pictures are too many pixels.)

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Finally, the third post in this series on terminals. YES. My annual contribution.

The buffalo bullet was a TSX 350 grain .416” and its impact speed was probably about 2590 fps. The petals expanded to .85” in both directions. It’s just about picture perfect for a traditional terminal. Retained weight was 349.6 grains, clean. 100%. I was surpised to recover the bullet on a broadside lung shot but I’m always grateful for little souvenirs. The finishing shot, too, was recovered. Its impact velocity was probably about 2810 fps. Notice the difference between them in the pictures. All the petals blew off and a slightly mushroomed flatnose was the result. The resulting weight was only 232 grains.

The finishing bullet rests on the map just about where the buff was taken.

We got lucky with bullet recovery on the hartebeest, too. The first shot was a pass through, but the followup shot entered just left of the anus, struck bone, and penetrated the length of the hartebeest to come to rest beside the right shoulder blade. Its impact speed was probably around 2650 fps but it, too, sheared its petals.The hartebeest dropped instantly at a nice offhand galloping-away shot by son. In this case though, the shearing produced a boxey, square flat-nose.

For comparison, here is a line up of four bullets, L-R,

Left: last year’s follow-up on buffalo, probably about 2100 fps impact velocity. Note partial folding of petals.
Left+1: This year’s first shot on buffalo, probably about 2590 fps with full expansion of petals.
Left+2: This year’s follow-up hartebeest, probably about 2650 fps, blowing the petals with a ‘box’ shear.
Right: This year’s follow-up on buffalo, probably about 2810 fps, blowing the petals and mushrooming the flatnose!

Here are the bullets positioned on a map of Tanzania with Selous blowup on the right. Top left bullet is last year’s followup, top right hartebeest followup, bottom two this year’s buffalo.

For those interested in a view of Selous hunting blocks, the following picture has a top view of the bullets

Well, that’s it for this year. Maybe next year we’ll have more time available for a REAL hunt. Still, it was wonderful walking the bush. We saw elephant, lion, sable twice, hartebeest several times, red duikers, common duikers, reedbuck, puku, female impala, zebra, eland, daytime-leopard (!), and buffalo three times, for a three day hunt. Oh yes, several warthogs but nothing shootable.

Lessons learned:
1. Preparing a rifle for safari can be difficult. One of our rifles still has a feeding problem with Flatnosed solids (the only kind I carry) and its bedding remains to be test-fired.
2. All-copper hollow points still work, but one wonders if the 500 yard death-run by Mr. Mbogo wouldn’t have been shortened by a CEB? We’ll find out next year.
3. Accuracy always matters and one never knows when a long shot will be presented.
4. Shooting 416’s at 6300+ footpoundage is delightful. Honest.
5. It’s nice to have a solid rifle in one’s hands in the forest.

PS: My son was impressed enough on the buffalo run that he is going in half-sies on the 500 AccRel project. Maybe we’ll have it fully tested and in-country next year. We’re already looking forward.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Great report. Thanks for sharing.
A trip to bring smiles for years and Bravo for making it a family affair.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Tanz

Great report and we are glad to hear you had a good time! Nothing like being in the bush eh?

Looks like at high velocity impacts the barnes wants to be a noncon. Or it tries anyway.

quote:
Lessons learned:
1. Preparing a rifle for safari can be difficult. One of our rifles still has a feeding problem with Flatnosed solids (the only kind I carry) and its bedding remains to be test-fired.
2. All-copper hollow points still work, but one wonders if the 500 yard death-run by Mr. Mbogo wouldn’t have been shortened by a CEB? We’ll find out next year.
3. Accuracy always matters and one never knows when a long shot will be presented.
4. Shooting 416’s at 6300+ footpoundage is delightful. Honest.
5. It’s nice to have a solid rifle in one’s hands in the forest.

PS: My son was impressed enough on the buffalo run that he is going in half-sies on the 500 AccRel project. Maybe we’ll have it fully tested and in-country next year. We’re already looking forward.

Lessons learned are always good. Maybe I too learned some lessons on my last hunt, or re-learned, after becoming somewhat lax!

Concerning your #1. Yes, very important exercise! If it's made by man, and has lot's of parts, then it can break or not do what you want it to do. So we make a habit of shooting the hell out of ours before leaving. Working the action hard, doing everything we can to break them on the range and not in the field. However, even then, things can happen in the field, at the very worst moment. I must relay a couple of these! Many years ago was on a Cougar hunt, my first one with the Robb boys in Utah. I was using a S&W 45 Colt Mt Revolver, and a barnes X at the time. I had shot a lot before leaving, but on a whim I decided to have a really slick trigger job done before leaving. A few days before leaving I thought to myself, crap, I better do some shooting to make sure I can bust a primer with this new trigger job! I shoot mostly double action, so I went out and put 100 rounds through the gun, zero issues! Good to go! Then out in Utah while hunting had a lax day and I shot the 6 rounds in the revolver at various rocks and distances, again, X6 zero issues! The day came when the cat was snarling in a tree barely 6-7 feet straight up above me! I was dead under him, when I got a very distinct "Click" on double action? OK, quickly "Click--Click" twice more? Shit, finally it dawned on me after 3 clicks and no bang to reach up, snatch that hammer back to single action and got a very satisfying BANG. Bang flop, cat on the dirt flopping. Checked the gun, light hits on the primers, X3. Afterwards I checked the spring screw, and it had turned 1/2 a turn during my 106 rounds of test firing, causing the lighter hammer fall, and of course I was trying to shoot straight up too, which may have had some bearing. Murphy in the field!

On this very last trip, I had shot and shot my Winchester M70 458 B&M, at least 300-400 rounds or more before leaving. Snatching the bolt hard as I can, feed and function was 100% perfect, not even a bobble, a bump, nothing. Slick as can be! Shot great, zero issues. First cow buffalo in Zimbabwe with the 458 B&M, 30 or so yards with a 420 BBW#13 NonCon, frontal chest, bang, JAM JAM--Holy COW, rifle at a dead stop! What the hell! Finally managed to get one of the 450 BBW#13 Solids ready, but did not need it, cow was down in just a few yards and out! But I had the worst of jams in the rifle and had great concerns. I felt I knew what the issue was. Back in camp I checked the magazine spring, sure enough it had jumped over the little hump in the floor plate, causes the follower to get a nose downward angle. So I pulled the spring out of the floor plate, bent it down, shoved it back into proper position behind the little hump about a 1/4 inch. Feed and function perfect, and magazine spring very tight in the floor plate to keep it from moving forward during recoil! Easy fix. Things happen in the field that you can't possibly prepare enough for. I sometimes think I have prepared too much at times, actually causing the problem! HEH.... But, that thought will never keep me from doing everything I can to be 100% prepared. So I will continue to shoot the hell out of the rifles before leaving.

#2--You know, some animals just never realize they are actually dead, regardless of bullet used. Sometimes they just don't give up!

#4--Bigger is better--Which leads you to having a 500 AR done! HEH...... Which I just happen to have some BBW#13 NonCons in that 51 caliber! LOL.........

Good job, thanks for the detail and the report. Wow, we are getting some very excellent reports the last week or two, and I know of some very excellent reports yet to come on some elephants! I wish those guys would get them for us soon!!!!!!!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
That was an EXCELLENT report tu2

The best part was that you did it all with your son.

Congratulations

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
416 Tanz, Great report and looks like you guys had fun. Nice buffalo and good shot. Bullets performed like they should.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
That was an EXCELLENT report tu2

The best part was that you did it all with your son.

Congratulations

Thanks Doc, you might say that my son did it all with me. He invites me in for these, sort of reversing what we did almost thirty years ago. I just provide him an excuse to take time off. He only gets out when we visit.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Tanzan:

Fantastic report. Great hunt with a classic caliber.

I wanted to ask you a question about your load data. I have the newest Barnes Manual and it only shows one .416 Rigby load just barely over 2600 fps. with a 350 grain TSX. Your loads seem to be running over 2800 fps! Do you think that maybe the petal shearing you are seeing is because of the extra velocity? I have not shot anything with my Rigby but I have tested the 350 TSX at the range and I am not getting any petal sheer if they are launched at around 2600 fps. Just curious.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote