THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Is the Ruger 375 in trouble ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: jeffeosso

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Is the Ruger 375 in trouble ? Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just one thing to consider (carefully):

I know why several of those 375R were returned to Cabela's. Accuracy and feeding issues.

First, let us take a trip to the dictionary and a semantics lesson for St Paddy's Day. The ad does not say, "trade-ins". It says "returns".

I have a Jaguar convertible. If I bought it new and brought it back because I decided I wanted a coupe, that is a trade-in. If I brought it back because some cowboy in a Cummins Turbo-Diesel passed me on the Interstate and I couldn't catch him, I'd take it back and have it sorted out, or get my money back. I would have returned it. RETURNED IT!

These rifles have been returned because the performance or appearance was unsatisfactory.
Is it cartridge design, or a manufacturing defect in design or manufacture? Who knows, who cares.

The fact remains that Cabela's has a ton of "slightly used" rifles they are trying to move. That's not an opinion, that's a FACT.
Something is wrong with them. Specific brand and cartridge.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Please.

I am not seeing the word "return" in this link for the store in Gonzales:
Cabelas Gonzales link
It says ANIB and they have a few (not a ton - semantics you know). Look at the price. That is low retail price. Not wholesale. Not fire sale. Not get it out of my store now sale. Just a good deal.

Low and behold, they have a lot of different guns at that store with the same description, including some Weatherby Orions...same description: ANIB -a few available. Maybe it's somebody's new old stock they bought up? Or maybe Orion 12 gauges are having "cartridge and maker specific accuracy and feeding" issues?

My eye.

In fact, if you search "ANIB", they have all kinds of brands for sale at many Cabelas' locations. Holy crap! The market is crashing!

But it looks like both Buda, TX and Gonzales, La are the only places you will find these "ANIB". Buda's decription calls them "factory refurbished". They have boxes and hang tags. Returns? Doubtful. If it was a cartridge/accuracy issue, why only black alaskans and not stainless alaskans or africans? Why only in the deep south? Why only a few?

Tell me again how you "know" it is an "accuracy and feeding" issue specific to this "maker and cartridge"? Because I think you are taking a swag at it, my friend.

Nevermind. It'll just be more bleating from the goats. The herd awaits you with warm milk my friend. Go and suckle at will.

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Just one thing to consider (carefully):

I know why several of those 375R were returned to Cabela's. Accuracy and feeding issues.

First, let us take a trip to the dictionary and a semantics lesson for St Paddy's Day. The ad does not say, "trade-ins". It says "returns".

I have a Jaguar convertible. If I bought it new and brought it back because I decided I wanted a coupe, that is a trade-in. If I brought it back because some cowboy in a Cummins Turbo-Diesel passed me on the Interstate and I couldn't catch him, I'd take it back and have it sorted out, or get my money back. I would have returned it. RETURNED IT!

These rifles have been returned because the performance or appearance was unsatisfactory.
Is it cartridge design, or a manufacturing defect in design or manufacture? Who knows, who cares.

The fact remains that Cabela's has a ton of "slightly used" rifles they are trying to move. That's not an opinion, that's a FACT.
Something is wrong with them. Specific brand and cartridge.

Rich

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Just so we "know", I took the time to call Cabelas and get my "semantics" straight (no need to reimburse me for the call Rich):

Cabelas bought a single lot of Ruger demonstrators that came from a show. That's why they have several Ruger pistols and 10-22's also in small lots, also ANIB. They have been fired, but only a very few times.
They split the lot between 3 stores and had about 10 Alaskans total in the lot. Not a ton. Not customer returns. Not problem rifles.

10 demonstrators that went back to the factory and were rechecked before being shipped out again as "ANIB" at a mildly reduced price. If you want one that was only fired at the factory and not at a show, Bud's has them for 30 dollars more. Of course, that includes shipping.

Children, no matter their age, should always be supervised around fireams and the internet.

Thanks for playing.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was part of Rugers marketing strategy to have the 375 HH controversy. Maybe Rich is working for Ruger Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Maybe it was part of Rugers marketing strategy to have the 375 HH controversy. Maybe Rich is working for Ruger Big Grin

He had to pull out all the stops and go with the reverse psychology ploy to beat Obama for Gun Salesman of the Year-2010.

I hear the prize is a Ruger Alaskan and 100 pieces of brass. Big Grin

Second prize is a custom Carcano in .375 Nitro Flanged 2.5" with a Tasco 16x scope and 5 loaded rounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cabelas bought single lot of Ruger demonstrators that came from a show. That's why they have several Ruger pistols and 10-22's also in small lots, also ANIB. They have been fired, but only a very few times.

I tried to call and got a machine three times, gave up. I guess you used a different number. We have to appreciate your effort there. This is interesting, then the men in Louisiana are no more recoil sensitive than Texas. Thats good news No1. Who ever posted that theory, should be relieved.

Good news No2, I would assume these few ANIB (test fired)guns are a better risk than the NEW ones at $30 more. Not for me, but for someone else.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of Caddyshack HH played by Ted Knight Ruger played by Roger Dangerfield.

375 Rodney Dangerfield

Just as good but..."No respect I tell ya. No respect"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dgxzItaQzw

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:

I tried to call and got a machine three times, gave up. I guess you used a different number. We have to appreciate your effort there. This is interesting, then the men in Louisiana are no more recoil sensitive than Texas. Thats good news No1. Who ever posted that theory, should be relieved.

Good news No2, I would assume these few ANIB (test fired)guns are a better risk than the NEW ones at $30 more. Not for me, but for someone else.

You appreciate my effort? What effort? I picked up the phone called the number on their site. It was no effort at all, especially if I was in the market for a rifle.

I followed up with an email. Again, no "effort".
The Gonzales store responded that they thought these were sales demonstrators, that the lot came through a major distributor before getting to them and they couldn't tell the difference between these and the rest of their Rugers.

And as far as I know, fourbore, every gun Ruger makes gets test fired before shipping so there is effectively no difference between these and any other Alaskan. Your innuendo is thinly veiled and reveals a lot about how you think.

Again, anyone who considers simply purchasing a (little) big bore "a risk" and using modern telecommunications as "effort" should probably find something else to do besides pretending to be a big game hunter. For the rest of us, "risk" and "effort" is reserved for the field and our chosen endeavors to sponsor same. The rest of this crap is just logistics and wind.

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
BTW, if anyone is interested in a group buy for these ANIB black/black RH 375 Alaskans, let me know. I asked for a price for the whole lot and was quoted for same with shipping. No effort at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
no need to reimburse me for the call Rich

I though you were looking for a pat on the back and big thank you, so I though I would humor you along.

quote:
, if anyone is interested in a group buy for these ANIB black/black RH 375 Alaskans, let me know. I asked for a price for the whole lot and was quoted for same with shipping. No effort at all.

Good luck on that group buy ...

quote:
And as far as I know, fourbore, every gun Ruger makes gets test fired before shipping so there is effectively no difference between these and any other Alaskan. Your innuendo is thinly veiled and reveals a lot about how you think.

How I think? A member of this forum has feeding and extraction problems with 2 Rugers in 375. I think something is wrong. You read that right? And the answer, by some, was to criticize this guy. He traded his 2 Rugers and moved on.

quote:
something else to do besides pretending to be a big game hunter

For your information, I am not a big game hunter. I made that clear the day I join this forum. Nor do I pound my chest and make any pretense. I like what I like and you just have to live with the that. I am not afraid to say what I think. And, Yes, I am also not a magazine writer. I am not a politicican. I dont have anything for sale either. Not here to get favors from anyone. I may ask for or offer advise. And yes, opinions - lot of opinions. Everybody has one, you sure do.

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:

For your information, I am not a big game hunter.

coffee Color me shocked.
568 posts in 13 months from a guy who named himself after a quarter pound projectile but is a non-BG hunter.

Opinions? Yes, like arseholes, we all have them. (Maybe that's your 4 bore? Big Grin) And like arseholes, if you start waving yours around and spewing useless crap over and over again, some folks may get tired of it.

Do I know it all? Nope. And I try hard to remember where my useful knowledge ends and the time to shut up begins. Speaking of which, I believe as the originator of this thread, you retain the ability to delete the whole thing. Something to consider.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
believe as the originator of this thread, you retain the ability to delete the whole thing

Never going to happen. The 375Ruger is a totally unnecessary dilution of an already tiny market as is the 416Ruger times two.

There seem to be some problems with Rugers execution of this new product. The stronger the denial, with more resorts to name calling, the less credable that cheer leading becomes.

Why some defenders are so emotional, I guess is the same reason some detractors get emotional. As for opinons, I know you have one. Big Grin

One good thing I can say about the 375Ruger is that it is not rebated. I guess schuler missed an oportunity here or I just dont care enough to research it out.

PS, Do I win a prize it this hits 10 pages?

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:PS, Do I win a prize it this hits 10 pages?

In a word, no.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thanks Chet

so, i just went to cabellas, plugged in 375 ruger, and cme back with 8 results, of their entire gun library.. 3 don't count, as they are sold/hh/#1/ or double listings of the same item

5 items---
ONE store has a few gunwriter guns .. ONE store..

Cabella's reports "sales demonstrators" .. of which ruger is known for producing .. i myself have had a couple blackhawks/vaqueros had been sent to the media first .. then sold as used, cuz, legally cousin, they are used

and thats "what's going on" with the ruger being in trouble...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i then plugged in
270 - 97 hits
22 - 238 hits
458 - 17 hits
12 ga 1149 hits
30-06 169 hits
505 gibbs -- one hit, marked down 33%!!!
45 acp 121 hits
357 73 hits

ruger - 161 total hits
winchester 1000 hits
remington 269 hits
cz - 50 hits
savage 52 hits
weatherby 198 hit

WOW.. there must be something horrible going on with the 12 ga, 22, and 30-06, espcially if they are made by winchester or remington .. cuz according to cabellas gun library, those are the HUGE "returned" guns ...
dancing

oh my, the sky is falling ... there MUST be something wrong with the 22, the 12 ga, the 30-06 and what's up with winchester having the most "returns" to cabellas...

that seems like and idiotic conclusion from unrelated data, TOO, doesn't it?

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
..I have a Jaguar convertible. If I bought it new and brought it back because I decided I wanted a coupe, that is a trade-in. If I brought it back because some cowboy in a Cummins Turbo-Diesel passed me on the Interstate and I couldn't catch him, I'd take it back and have it sorted out, or get my money back. I would have returned it. RETURNED IT!
Rich

Can't return a car, Rich .. you won't get your money back because the car didn't perform to YOUR unwritten specifications .. the example doesn't hold water

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just a thought here, no real factual information, but I can't help but wonder how many of those "Returned" Ruger's, were "Returned", because the people that bought them found out really quick after a few rounds off the bench, that they really did not like getting the shit knocked out of them every time the squeezed the trigger.

I just wonder how many of them folks looked for and found any excuse available to get loose from those guns?

I don't hunt and shoot a lot, especially at paper since it don't eat worth a damn, and I do have a terrible case of flinchitis, especially when shooting at papaer.

That does not keep me from using the rifles I use to hunt with, it just makes sighting-in sessions vary in duration, especially with regards as to how many times a particular rifle is fired.

Is the 375 Ruger in trouble, yes, I believe it is, along with the Ultra-Mags/Short Mags/Super Short Mags, etc., I can't see that any of them offer any thing really tangible over existing cartridges, except as a NEW TOY!

The average hunter/shooter will never be able to tell the difference between the performance of one of the old stand-bys and its new replacement, on game if the same amount of care and precision is used in placing a shot from either properly.

The animals being shot damn sure ain't gonna be able to tell.

I think all of the new cartidges that have came out over the past two decades or so will have and maintain a small loyal following, but I don't see them ever replacing the older established rounds.

JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys keep completely missing the point of the .375 Ruger. Now, read this very slowly so you get it.
The Ruger was designed to get H&H velocities, therefor, purpose, in a short 20" barrel, to create a shorter, handier rifle for tromping around in thick brush in search of dangerous game. It's not meant to replace an already classic cartridge in the H&H.
As far as recoil goes, those that bought one, I'm sure knew what they were getting.
I shot mine over 200 shots in the last two weeks alone. No trauma! No flinch! And mine weighs just 7-3/4 lbs.
Handiest .375 I've ever owned.
If you want to see a butt load of rifles for sale, check out all the 'Blasers' on Gunbroker.
Thought they were supposed to be good. . . ?
Also thinking about swapping my older Sako L61 .300 WM with a new Sako 85 Light weight short action in .300WSM. Same ballistics in a much handier, and lighter package.
In the steep mountains I hunt, the lighter weight helps this old man hunt longer!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, read this very slowly so you get it.
The Ruger was designed to get H&H velocities, therefor, purpose, in a short 20" barrel,

Now, read this very slowly so you get it.

The 375 H&H can give adequate, HH purpose velocities, in a light handy rifle with a short 20 inch (Alaskan) or 22-23 inch (African)barrel. For instance, fire the new Hornady super-whatever 375HH load in carbine bbl should equall the old HH rifle.

The problem, is the industry lumps the 375HH into same class as 458's with 24 or 25 inch barrels in 9 or 10 pound rifles. We dont need a new cartridge designs, we need better gun designs.

Every time a gun builder decides to offer a carbine in 375Ruger, that is one less oportunity we have to see that builder offer the EXACT SAME size gun configuration in 375HH (maybe longer action 1/4 pound more wt).

It is the exact same problem with the 416's today. There is only a few choices for each of the 6 or 8 variations of 40 cal magnum. You want winchester, it has to be 416Rem. Ruger RSM has to to rigby. Alaskan has to be 416Ruger. CZ is an exception. Weatherby offers 416Wby. So forth and so on. You pick the gun and then you are stuck with the 416 dejour. No standard. Now the 375 is heading the same direction, a nightmare scenario. Ammo shortages and less competition per ctg means higher prices.

Read this slowly too: any gun builder worth 2 shits could offer a bolt rifle in 375HH more or LESS 8 pounds. Browning did it 50 years ago, with a 24 inch bbl and wood stock!

posted Hide Post
Alright, you guys are getting pissy, so this topic is closed.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001