THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Is the Ruger 375 in trouble ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: jeffeosso

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Is the Ruger 375 in trouble ? Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mike,
its certainly not a 50 beowolf or 45 blase,r yeah? Unrebated, unbelted, slight body taper, and in a 3/8 bore ... the only thing outlandish about it is that ruger and hornday, both US companies, decided to make a unique case and sell it to the public.

But, you can always tell that someone its going to listen or engage when then slander the topic at hand .. disparaging comments about the topic mean "my mind is made up, i am just stating my opinion and i ain't open to learning anything new"

I LOVE the cheap comments .. the ruger m77 appears to be priced perfectly inline with the remington m700 and, when commonly available, the m70 "normal" guns ... and, of course, right there in the hunt with the weatherby prices, for "normal" guns ...

perhaps a bit higher than savage or howa, a little lower than brownings ..

and, here's a LAUGH, the price overlap range of the cz mediums, new, is about, well, right there in that price range of savage to browning..

Now, let's go back to "cheap" .. last time i checked, the RSM costs more than a cz550, unless custom shop ...

still not seeing the "cheap" part ... even the initial post, $600 bucks AINT CHEAP ..

one poster reminds us that the rmeingotn 798 can be had for less money ... though one doesn't see the markX action being thrown about as "cheap" .. though the remington version certainly isn't up to the whitworth fit and finish.

if you make what the client base will buy, at a price that makes the company money, you have done several good things!

oh boy. .. let's here about the pending demise of the wsm/rum lines again ... (crickets)

oh, well, that was such a huge swelling... how about all those other makers that offer, on the shelf, a lefty in 375 or 416 ??
none? oh, yeah, cz is SUSPPOSED to have them .. but there isn't any available today, is there?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well this probably isn't smart but here we go. The one thing the Ruger 375 does is it allows you to build a 375 on a standard lenght action and right now at the Gunsmithing school where I am an instructor we have 5 being built and not a single H&H. Now don't get me wrong I like the H&H but the 375 will fit in a VZ24 with a lot less work. Just an observation for your consideration.

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
Chet,

If; I did not like Ruger the company and the guns, I would not question the quality (alaskan return rate)or the products (caliber choice). I simply would not bother.

So I ask you straight out, why no 338win in an Alaskan? And why no 40 or 45 in an African model? I am 90% ready to buy an alaskan in 458, but I dont expect that. No 338 Alaskan - WTF!

In 25 words or less. I am a potential buyer. Seriously.

"Potential buyer", huh?
Seriously, you are demanding a 25 word essay from a stranger because you can't make up your own mind? WTF indeed! Am I being commissioned on my sale?

Why no Alaskan in Win Mags? Could it be because the stainless/plastic RCM in 338 RCM is already available? Want a Hogue stock? Buy one.

423/458? Do you understand the 375 parent case limitations when it comes to .423 and .458 projos? Use your search function. It's free. Lots to read. Or did you expect Ruger to chamber all the old big game cartridges in every finish and stock combination? Please. Have we not discussed the commercial and economic imperative that Ruger has to use the Hawkeye receiver and Hornady brass?

25 words or less, huh? Here goes: "What you see is what you get. If you don't see what you want, call Ruger and ask for it."

If you follow my advice, be prepared for them to respond with a minimum order requirement for that configuration. Speaking of which, if you have need of a LH wood RCM in 6.5 Swede, check the lefties forum. We need a couple more orders. Big Grin

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009
one of us
posted Hide Post
.423 Ruger is fine.
.458 ruger is less than 20 thou per side at the shoulder, but still not as bad as some that have worked but fallen by the wayside in the past.
I won't go there.

Rugercats:

I am doing a .458 B&M, because it will equal or exceed a .458 WinMag in a shorter and lighter action than even a standard Mauser, or Ruger Hawkeye.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
f you have need of a LH wood RCM in 6.5 Swede, check the lefties forum. We need a couple more orders. Big Grin

Would that be a nice standard offering instead of the 260. Or the 7x57 instead of the 7mm08. This is how great old classics get pushed aside to make way for the new and identical.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Rugers the best of all guns, but if I'm
going among grizzlys, browns, in the north,
and buff and whatever in Africa, why use MM
cartridges, no matter whose name is on them.
We got the Lott for a minimum, and on up.
And if like in my case, I won't get to grizzly
or buff territory, but shoot for fun, busting rocks,
water barrels, etc, why use a MM cartridge either. Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MichaelJ,

you need to work at a better school... jumping

Your own description betrays the real answer, cheaper and easier. If the school wants to challenge the students, have them convert a standard M98 to a 416 Rigby like the one Harry Selby carried after he broke his DR on day one of his hunt with Ruark.

no offense meant,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I work at a great school Maybe you heard of Jerry Fisher, Curt Crum, D'Arcy Echols,Wayne Novak, to name a few they all attended hear and a few of them where my classmates.
And yes I know you are just stirring the pot.

Michael J

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
like the one Harry Selby carried after he broke his DR on day one of his hunt with Ruark

His 470 was damaged in 1949, not when he was with Ruark. He chose the 416 Rigby because it was what was available in Nairobi.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
But, you can always tell that someone its going to listen or engage when then slander the topic at hand .. disparaging comments about the topic mean "my mind is made up, i am just stating my opinion and i ain't open to learning anything new"

I LOVE the cheap comments..

Well Jeff, what part of Is the Ruger 375 in trouble? don't you think I understand? The OP is asking for opinions isn't he? I gave mine. You, on the other hand, just can't stand someone like me who has a contrary opinion. I'll wager it starts with my spelling of Rooger? stir

And actually, I thought the gristle part was more to the point than cheap, cheap, cheap. Comparing Rooger to CZ is like comparing Wallyworld to Harbor Freight...the lowest quality denominator for each.

I'll give you insight on how I came to dislike Rooger. Recently Rooger brought out their LCP 380ACP pistol. It's practically a direct copy of Kel-tec CNC's P3-AT which has been selling like hotcakes for years. Rooger probably got the green eye and is using their marketing muscle to eat into Kel-tec's market. You might applaud: I give them the Bronx cheer!

I bought, and subsequently returned 2 of those Craftsman box end ratchet wrenches before Christmas my local store keeps in a locked case. Proudly stamped on them...MADE IN CHINA...but I didn't see it as it was covered with an adhesive sticker. And that's precisely the reason I gave to the clerk girl why I was returning them. Craftsman tools being made in CHINA just lost Sears all of my business.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I honestly don't know why people make such a fuss over the Ruger 375. I bought one last year to take to Africa and I couldn't be more pleased. The gun looks nice and more importantly feels great. The 375 H&Hs that I looked at (RSM, Mod 70 and CZ) felt like clubs in comparison. The Ruger was lighter and more lively feeling. It was also less than half the price of the others.

My gun functioned perfectly and shoots MOA. I took a kudu, gemsbok and blue wildebeest with it. It was also a pleasure to carry all day long.

The only issue in my mind is the availability of ammunition in Africa. If SAA lost my bags then I would have been out of luck and had to use the camp gun. However, here in America I was able to score ammo from a local shop for $40 a box which allowed me to practice quite a bit before I left.

I didn't worry about bettering the performance of the H&H but rather view the cartridges as being equal. Animals can't tell the difference between the two. However, I could tell the difference when it came to walking around all day with the gun and being able to shoot effectively with it.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Three of my guides now carry them and I am expecting to have a new custom 375 Ruger, built by a noted gunbuilder, on it's way that I plan on carrying this year. I would say it is very much alive and well here in Alaska. A better question might be "is the 375 H&H in trouble in Alaska?"

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with rxgremlin. Ive love the feel of the Ruger African model. That gun just fits me and the performance has not let me down. If I could get a H&H in a package that felt that trim I would probably feel better about the ammo availability oversees issue. I dont think the 375 Ruger will ever replace the H&H, but its not intended to.

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:

I'll give you insight on how I came to dislike Rooger. Recently Rooger Smith brought out their LCP Bodyguard 380ACP pistol. It's practically a direct copy of Kel-tec CNC's P3-AT Ruger's LCP which has been selling like hotcakes for yearsrecently. RoogerSmith probably got the green eye and is using their marketing muscle to eat into Kel-tec's mRuger's market. You might applaud: I give them the Bronx cheer!

So, Ruger is bad because their Mauser bolt guns are too cheap but their polymer 380's are too expensive? Check.

You got a fairly shallow opinion of capitalism and the free market, I take it.

Heck, I thought I had a bone to pick with Ruger when Bill supported the AWB. But some of you guys sound like you might be on a restraining order or something.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've the SAKO 75 In 375 H&H. I am pleased with my 375. I know it can kill an elephant. Can't ask for more than that.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jro45:
I've the SAKO 75 In 375 H&H. I am pleased with my 375. I know it can kill an elephant. Can't ask for more than that.

I´ve the Ruger Hawkeye in 375 Ruger. I am also pleased with my 375 and I know mine can kill an elephant as well.
Neighter I can ask for more Wink

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michaelj and I are square. He reminded me a lot of these young people are financially challenged, and getting by.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Isn't it great that life is so good that we get to argue about such trivial things Smiler
I'd rather have a factory gun and ammo 375-06 variant matching the 375 flanged performance getting 300 @ 2400 than the 375 HH and Ruger.

OK I'll duck now. sofa

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
We are more than okay I don't have such thin skin that I can't take a little ribbing. I happen to like the old classics but I also see room for new cartridges on occasion. But please spare me all the magnums under 30 cal. It's kinda like cars I love the old classic muscle cars but I sure wouldn't turn down a new 350 Z carSmiler

Michael J

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MichaelJ,

Got a buddy who is working on a project for me that graduated from there a few years back.

I like the idea of having a few DG worthy guns in a price range many hunters can afford. If you have the means for an RSM, Kimber or custom, cheers, enjoy what you can afford. I can't afford a 2000$+ gun bought solely for the purpose of likely just a few hunts in my life time.
The Ruger is nice and trim
The CZ is affordable but apparently needs $$$ spent at AHR lol plus its a BIG gun for what it is (in 375)
The Mark-whit-daly-798-eaa is cheapest but DOES need smoothing over.

If I was in the market, a Ruger would be my choice, cause it fits my arms and my wallet. Now....personally id either get the Alaskan and put it on the African stock. Or, id get the African and cut the barrel 1.5"

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well Jeff, what part of Is the Ruger 375 in trouble? don't you think I understand?
i think you understood the question just fine ,,,
quote:
The OP is asking for opinions isn't he? I gave mine.
Yes, amounst other things, you gave him your opinion of RUGER -- but not of the 375 ruger, which it appears you have zero experience
quote:
You, on the other hand,
Gave him my studied opinion on the 375 ruger .. you are correct, there is a clear distinction
quote:
just can't stand someone like me who has a contrary opinion.
ALMOST right .. i can't stand a "contrary" person .. the guy that its never free enough, good enough, fast enough, or his does it all better, regardless of what the facts say.
quote:
I'll wager it starts with my spelling of Rooger? stir
Not even close to "started" with .. Dave, you have a history of being contrary .. and just to be contrary, as you generally have had ZERO expereince with both sides of the issue. This is your legacy.
quote:
And actually, I thought the gristle part was more to the point than cheap, cheap, cheap.
cheap? aren't you about to complain about them being expensive? the hallmark of a contrarian
quote:
Comparing Rooger to CZ is like comparing Wallyworld to Harbor Freight
oh REALLY ..aren't you about to RANT about made in china vs made in the US .. when you complaint is "not made in the US" .. say, WHERE are rugers made? and CZ's? are you saying the ruger is better because its made in the US but you can't back them?
quote:
...the lowest quality denominator for each.
Dave, fess up .. you haven't actually OWNED a ruger in 375, or an RSM, or a CZ550 magnum in 375 hh to compare with, have you? No, you haven't, at all .. most contrarians aren't dissuaded by their lack of experience .. they feel it gives them a FRESH prespective.
quote:
I'll give you insight on how I came to dislike Rooger. Recently Rooger brought out their LCP 380ACP pistol. It's practically a direct copy of Kel-tec CNC's P3-AT which has been selling like hotcakes for years. Rooger probably got the green eye and is using their marketing muscle to eat into Kel-tec's market. You might applaud: I give them the Bronx cheer!
So, both made in america, serving a market place that is universally price buyers, and using the market CREATED by the browning pocket pistol, and fairly compeating? I guess "fair trade" and "fair competition" don't mean much to you. If the ruger is so inferior, then the keltek should win, hands down, right? I bet you haven't owned EITHER of these pistols, and certainly not a ruger to compare it to the keltec. Dave, I am overwhelmed by the vastness of you "fresh perspective"
quote:
I bought, and subsequently returned 2 of those Craftsman box end ratchet wrenches before Christmas
what does the timing have to do with anything, other than establish that you are also (me too) using the "before christmas sales" ?
quote:
my local store keeps in a locked case. Proudly stamped on them...MADE IN CHINA.
and that's bad, right? How about Made in the USA? do you hate that too?
quote:
..but I didn't see it as it was covered with an adhesive sticker. And that's precisely the reason I gave to the clerk girl why I was returning them.
that the adhesive sticker covered the country of origin?
quote:
Craftsman tools being made in CHINA just lost Sears all of my business.

SO, who you gunna buy? A made in the USA Ruger? A USA owned, operated, and made company? You going to buy a keltec CRF boltgun? wait, they don't make one .. How about a CZ, made in the USA? Nope.. A remington MAuser? Nope, made not far from CZ.. how about a good old winchester? Other than "Winchester m70 tm" is a trademark licenses to FN herstal, a Belgian company ... Oh, wait, how about a DAKOTA (no, wait.. are they making guns available TODAY?) (MRC? no ph's yet, yeah?)

Dave, basically, you have stated you are contrary, won't buy anything not made in the USA cuz its crap, that you won't buy an expensive gun, or a cheap one ..

So, the ar crowd is dying to know .. (well, someone MIGHT be bored enough to care) .. Which 375 Ruger or HH do you OWN AND SHOOT?

(now watch, as he's been hoisted upon his own petard and will start crying "oh, is this any way for a moderator to act" .. Notice: He didn't call out "moderator" he called out Jeff, and addressed me as the person, not the role ... if he cries about being measured and coming up short, well, I didn't actualy DO the shortening, did i?)

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check and Check-Mate ... I love these idiotic threads!! Must still be some untapped productivity left in the US economy.

Hey Jeff - I mean Mr. Moderator - could these sorts of threads be contained in a new "Poo-flingin' for No Apparent Reason" forum. Is it ok if I revive my "Ban the 45-70 forever" and "45-70 Double Rifle - The Ultimate DGR" or maybe that old CRAPFAD boltgun thread?

rotflmo

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jay,
these threads, ESPECIALLY those "won" by the "no" guys, do nothing but give the anti's fuel .. some times I wonder if the guys promoting REDUCING the number of valid choices in guns don't actually work for HCI

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I think there should be a pissing post forum for those who love to troll and flame.

Think of it as the political crater for guns.

All topics like 45-70 for DG, 375 Ruger is better than 375 HH, pushfeed DG guns, Long range hunting ect.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Easy way to setle this, find out from RCBS how many set of reloading dies were sold for the 375 Ruger

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

posted Hide Post
quote:
What's the overriding factor in those who praise the Rooger 375? Price! They bought it cause it was cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap. The salisbury steak of BG rifles. Yummm, if you can get past the gristle.

I mean, isn't that the overriding thing Rooger is noted for? Finding a way to cheapen their product. Think the boat paddle stock. Using cast parts, and\or welded up stamped steel, instead of machined steel. Touting non-reflective when in reality a deep, high gloss bluing job adds cost.

Rooger, the Craftsman hammer of the gun world...the most utilitarian tool that can get the job done. Nothing more.

And I do believe what Rich says about Rooger being po'd about not having their name on enough headstamps making them wannabes in the big boy marketplace. So if you throw enough outlandish designs and marketing hyperbole against the wall, some of it is bound to stick. But, funnily enough, so much turns out to be egg on their face. In my opinion, that is.

Sir - Please explain the factual basis for your strong opinions.

1. Have you shot a .375 Ruger? If so, how many rounds? What distances? What ammunition was used? Were there any failures to feed, extract, or fire? What firing positions were used? Did you chrono the rounds fired? What results did you achieve on the square range?

2. Have you hunted with a .375 Ruger? If so, what species? What distances? What conditions? What bullet placement? What results?

3. Do you own a .375 Ruger? If so, what manufacturer? What model? How long have you owned it (or them)?

4. Do you own Sears Craftsmen tools? If so, how is that relevant to this discussion?

5. You mention excessive rates of return for the .375 Ruger. How many .375 Rugers have been returned to the factory? For what reasons? How does the .375 Ruger rate of return compare to that of the .375 H&H manufactured by Winchester, Remington, and others?

Your answers will help me, and likely others, assess the veracity of your opinions. ELN

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
Easy way to setle this, find out from RCBS how many set of reloading dies were sold for the 375 Ruger

really? how about the hornady sales?
as compared to same period sales of 375 hh?

NEITHER company has a clue as to how many sets sold to reloaders vs sold to inventory

with rcbs dies costing 33% more than hornaday dies ... well, you get the point ....

we could call ruger and ask how many 375 rugers sold last year vs 375HH, also ..

we could even call winchester and ask for their sales numbers of each (zero)

wonder how many 375 rugers sold to US sales outlets ve how many 375HH czs did the same ... THAT number is interesting

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
May not be perfect info,but a lot more perfect that the info thats been posted so far

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

<Mike McGuire>
posted
On Australia's largest gun site I would say for new 375s the 375 Ruger is well ahead. Based on the postings I would say it is taking sales from CZ 375s and also the 338. Its impact on 375 H&H in Wby Mark V, Sako, Sauer and custom rifles is zero.

In my opinion if the rifle selection remains basically as it is today the 375 Ruger will end up competing with the 338 for the most popular over 30 calibre.

I don't think the 375 Ruger will sell when chambered in the same rifle as the 375 H&H. So for example, if M70 added the 375 Ruger to Safari Express it would not sell any and the same for for the light Rem 700s, Wby Mark V, Sako and so on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Isn't it great that life is so good that we get to argue about such trivial things Smiler
I'd rather have a factory gun and ammo 375-06 variant matching the 375 flanged performance getting 300 @ 2400 than the 375 HH and Ruger.

OK I'll duck now. sofa

Same here on the .375-06, but my 9.3X62 will have to do.. Smiler
I also think and am glad that we have the choices that we do..
The only reason that I can think of for these .357 H&H vs Ruger .375 debates is that some people are insecure in the choices they make so they have to run down those who don't own they same rifle/cart. combo that they do..
As far as I am concerned the glass is not half empty or half full, the glass is full period !. beer

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
That's great news North Fork! I don't have a 375 H&H anymore, I rebarreled it to 500 Jeffery, but I'm going to buy one for my oldest son when he leaves the Rangers in two years to go to college. Your 350g softpoints and solids should be perfect in either a 375 H&H at 2400 fps or a 375 Weatherby at 2550 fps.

I'm waiting for your 570g and 600g .510 caliber bullets to come out. Until then I'm loading 570g Swift A=Frames, they should be fine on elk.

Smiler

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not handled a .375 Ruger Hawkeye yet but I have read about the cartridge and I have got to say that it makes sense.

I have a .CZ 550 .375 H&H and as much as I love the rifle I have just never managed to get comfortable with it. I shoot it exceptionally well at the range but find it cumbersome in the field...and I am 6 foot 1 and 230 pounds so I am not a small guy.

I have considered trading for a .375 H&H built on a standard length Mauser M98 action or a 9.3x62. The .375 Ruger makes even more sense but I am concerned about availability and cost of ammunition and cases here in South Africa.

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I have learned with mine:
It's lighter then any H&H I've owned, so it's no good!
It handles better then any H&H I've had with it's shorter barrel from the factory without spending $ to have it shortened, so it's no good.
It has a least, if not more velocity then a standard H&H, so it's no good.
It doesn't have the unneeded case belt, so it's no good.
It cost a fraction of most H&Hs, so it's no good.
If I take a dump down a steep canyon and scratch the plastic painted stock I put on it, I really don't care, cuz I can repaint it, or just leave it the hell alone to remember the hunt by, and not care, so it's no good.
I like it's shorter action, so it's no good.
I like the case shape that keeps it from needing much trimming, so it's no good.
I like it's weather proofness, so it's no good.

Nope, it'll never make it!

coffee

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Just called winchester/browning .. they are "excited" about the 375 ruger, and "can NOT (emphasis on their end) confirm" that they will be offering any guns in the caliber ..

What does that mean? well, they said NO, but implied it was going to happen ...

Oh, yeah, an no new safari rifles have been shipped to distribution -- they don't expect any until 3rd quarter

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which 375 Ruger or HH do you OWN AND SHOOT?

As I've stated on many occasions, I do not now, never have, nor probably ever will own a Rooger product of any kind. Because I have always found another brand that was better; whether rifle, shotgun, pistol or revolver. I've tried to like them. I really did. But something has always dissuaded me from buying. Whether it was just plain ugly styling, 4" at 100 yard groups that the factory says is within tolerance, or the user caution litany roll- stamped on the barrel or action.

You died-in-the-wool Rooger folks, don't get your panties in a bunch thinking I only boycott Rooger products; I don't own any Savage guns either. I couldn't care less if you guys pee yourselves a little when you handle your Roogers. I happen to gag a little just saying the name. And that's the way it is. Different strokes for different folks. So, to get back on topic, yes I think Rooger's 375 was in trouble the moment their design team created it. It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. "Call me a relic, call me what you will; say I'm old-fashioned, say I'm over the hill." You won't change my mind. I've just become pig-headed that way.

I do own a Sauer 202 Supreme Lux and a Blaser R93 Prestige chambered for Holland's .375 Belted Rimless Nitro-Express cartridge. Both bought before Rooger marketed their .375 offering.

I can't see any reason to rid myself of one of these to acquire a Rooger, CZ, Rem 798 or other brand. BTW, both were bought second hand...I like the switch barrel aspect of both. And neither will ever be mistaken for a tomato stake or fence post.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
WHEW, so no actual experience with the 375 ruger and/or riger rifles? okay.. would hate to cloud up anyone's fresh perspective

quote:
quote:
Which 375 Ruger or HH do you OWN AND SHOOT?

As I've stated on many occasions, I do not now, never have, nor probably ever will own a Rooger product of any kind. Because I have always found another brand that was better; whether rifle, shotgun, pistol or revolver. I've tried to like them. I really did. But something has always dissuaded me from buying. Whether it was just plain ugly styling, 4" at 100 yard groups that the factory says is within tolerance, or the user caution litany roll- stamped on the barrel or action.

You died-in-the-wool Rooger folks, don't get your panties in a bunch thinking I only boycott Rooger products; I don't own any Savage guns either. I couldn't care less if you guys pee yourselves a little when you handle your Roogers. I happen to gag a little just saying the name. And that's the way it is. Different strokes for different folks. So, to get back on topic, yes I think Rooger's 375 was in trouble the moment their design team created it. It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. "Call me a relic, call me what you will; say I'm old-fashioned, say I'm over the hill." You won't change my mind. I've just become pig-headed that way.

I do own a Sauer 202 Supreme Lux and a Blaser R93 Prestige chambered for Holland's .375 Belted Rimless Nitro-Express cartridge. Both bought before Rooger marketed their .375 offering.

I can't see any reason to rid myself of one of these to acquire a Rooger, CZ, Rem 798 or other brand. BTW, both were bought second hand...I like the switch barrel aspect of both. And neither will ever be mistaken for a tomato stake or fence post.

476AR,

<Mike McGuire>
posted
Actually Ruger themselves have defined the market for the two 375s.

$1080 for the 375 Ruger

$2400 for the 375 H&H.

I wonder if Ruger will put the 375 Ruger in their magnum rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WHEW, so no actual experience with the 375 ruger and/or riger rifles? okay.. would hate to cloud up anyone's fresh perspective

Oh c'mon Jeff...clouding things is in your nature when it comes to Roogers. You can't help it. Like those Jehovah's Witnesses who knock on my door and think they can convert me even though I tell them I'm Roman Catholic. They, like you, just can't take no for an answer. I admit I'm prejudiced against Rooger. I always have. Get over it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by onefunzr2:
I can't see any reason to rid myself of one of these to acquire a Rooger, CZ, Rem 798 or other brand. QUOTE]

Well I can.. To get a proper DG rifle with CRF Big Grin
In fact I will never own a Blaser - not even if I got one for free - I just dont like them. Ugly and "overengineered". No give me a Mauser any day....

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
quote:
I can't see any reason to rid myself of one of these to acquire a Rooger, CZ, Rem 798 or other brand.

Well I can.. To get a proper DG rifle with CRF Big Grin
In fact I will never own a Blaser - not even if I got one for free - I just dont like them. Ugly and "overengineered". No give me a Mauser any day....
tu2 on that M98 Mauser!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007