THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Is the Ruger 375 in trouble ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: jeffeosso

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Is the Ruger 375 in trouble ? Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
IS that a:
Yes I own a Ruger in 375R
or a
NO, I don't own a Ruger in 375R
?

He must own one, Rich. Why else would he throw himself under the bus defending it!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
He does not need a 375 Ruger... He has a 376 Steyr! That will kill anything a Ruger or HH or WBY or 378 will!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

i don't see the comparison with the 338 .. that's always been kinda niche ..

Can't agree with you there. 375 Wbys are either rechambered H&H, Wby or gunsmith built from an action and being able to use H&H brass or ammo is a big feature. 375 RUM is for those who want 300 magnum ballistics with a 375 bullet but for who the 378 Wby was to costly in both guns and brass/ammo
Big Grin

Real close, but not quite...

Sako built the 375 Wby as factory on FN Mauser Actions for a while...and I have one. Wink

These were a limited production, and some with excellently done basketweave on well-figured walnut.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004
<Mike McGuire>
posted
Wow!! that's a real one off

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

don't be so coy, or play hard to get...

Tell them if you own a 375R or not.

I own and shoot and hunt with a CZ in 375 H&H.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sorry Rich,
Didn't understand what you where asking or to who ..
quote:
IS that a:
or a
yes.. i currently own 375 ruger and 376 steyr .. and have owned, and will own again - 375HH, 375 winchester, i haven't shot anything bigger than a 7x64 since august 16th, when i wrecked the bike and tore about my shoulder .. i also have a "new" 458 lott sitting with the 375 ruger that aint beein shot EITHER .. .. which is why i don't have a heaping PILE of load data ... if i did, buddy, i'd be sending it to you!

i also am working on 338/375 ruger wild cat as its the same capacity as the 340 webby, which is why i haven't been agreeing with Mike that the 375 ruger will be taking sales away from the 338 win .. i want to take it to 338 win vels and low pressure .. might be on a 1909 of all the things...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002
<Mike McGuire>
posted
Jeffe

How do you reckon sales in America would be for 375 H&H/375 Ruger combined as compared to 30-378

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 30-378?
Mike, i have never SEEN one at any range, and i have 2 friends that have had them ... i think i know of ~5 in the houston area .. which means that's alot more, they just don't get shot .. like most 510 calibers, too.. they don't get to the range ..

based off the rather limited sample, the guys with the 30-378 want "600-800 yard laser beams" ... no market cross-over from people that hunt with them ... from guys that have to have it all, sure .. but i don't know that market or many people in it.

<my teeth still rattle from shooting one... shesh>

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I don't know anyone with a 30-378, never seen one at the range and don't know who would want one for BC hunting. I know a few guys with 300RUMS, but there isn't much in the hunting field that you can do with a 30-378 that can't be done with a .300 Winchester or Weatherby,...

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one when they first launched. Mounted Swaro 6-24 x 56. Easy to shoot and accurate as expected. After three rounds it was done for the day cause too hot to see through the glass. Outdoors in cold weather sure - not at a hot desert range.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatehouse:
I don't know anyone with a 30-378, never seen one at the range and don't know who would want one for BC hunting. I know a few guys with 300RUMS, but there isn't much in the hunting field that you can do with a 30-378 that can't be done with a .300 Winchester or Weatherby,...

Same here...I've never seen a single one at the range, and don't know anyone personally that owns a 30-378 (at least that I am aware of).

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did some test shooting with a 6 lb .30-378 a few years back. Now there is one worthless POS!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatehouse:

Same here...I've never seen a single one at the range, and don't know anyone personally that owns a 30-378 (at least that I am aware of).

The only area that a 300 RUM or 30/378 will shine is as a long range rig shooting 240 SMK"S in the 3000 FPS area with a BC of .711

As a general purpose normal hunting round they offer little to no advantage IMHO

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DWright:
Did some test shooting with a 6 lb .30-378 a few years back. Now there is one worthless POS!

6 pounds is way too light for me in that chambering

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
Originally posted by DWright:

6 pounds is way too light for me in that chambering

Ya, it was on the light side. The main problem was it's super light barrel with a 'fish hanger' brake. Even with ear plugs and muffs on, the concusion from that damn break was brutal and had me blowing snot bubbles!
It was some expensive custom light weight for a client that wanted it sighted in before he took it hunting in Africa. He was afraid of shooting it off a bench. If he did shoot it while hunting, I'm betting he only did it once!
If I remember right he paid 6k for the POS.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
So is it in trouble or not?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

let's just say if you buy one make sure you also buy a couple hundred pieces of brass.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Scott,

let's just say if you buy one make sure you also buy a couple hundred pieces of brass.

Rich

which is good advice for even buying a 223 or a 22lr ..

So, no .. other than internet chat rooms, like the wsm and rum lines, this round will be taking game for at least decades ...

until IBM starts making hunting rifles ...

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
They've probably already covered their development and marketing costs, so if Rooger never sells another one they won't go out of business.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the current state of the economy I would generalize that fewer people are taking expensive vacations and hunting trips. You can rationalize that an individual would typically buy this rifle / cartridge combo for large / dangerous game which is a pricey proposition. I would expect all 338 and up gun sales to be hit especially hard. There is just no need for them if fewer folks can afford the trips that require their need. There are also fewer people willing to spend their hard earned dollars on another gun just to mess with.
I think the business will rebound. Just when?

EZ
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
They've probably already covered their development and marketing costs, so if Rooger never sells another one they won't go out of business.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
So is it in trouble or not?

About as much trouble as the 300 Win Mag was in 1965.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I see the 375 Ruger case as a modern version of the 68 case or 6.5x68 or 8x68 or even Rich ISS's 257 Banshee. granted the 68 case is a tad longer but a tad skinnier too.

The 338 version of the Ruger would be like the 8x68 but in an "Improved" form.

I would say the 8x68 is in trouble and not the 375 Ruger.

Rich... will you make an updated 257 Banshee on the Ruger case?

6.5 Ruger anyone? Rebarrel the 264 Win Mag

A 338 Ruger getting 250's @ 2900 or 225's @ 3,000 or 338 Win Mag performance at lower pressure is pretty cool.

quote:
Sorry Rich,
Didn't understand what you where asking or to who ..
quote:
IS that a:
or a
yes.. i currently own 375 ruger and 376 steyr .. and have owned, and will own again - 375HH, 375 winchester, i haven't shot anything bigger than a 7x64 since august 16th, when i wrecked the bike and tore about my shoulder .. i also have a "new" 458 lott sitting with the 375 ruger that aint beein shot EITHER .. .. which is why i don't have a heaping PILE of load data ... if i did, buddy, i'd be sending it to you!

i also am working on 338/375 ruger wild cat as its the same capacity as the 340 webby, which is why i haven't been agreeing with Mike that the 375 ruger will be taking sales away from the 338 win .. i want to take it to 338 win vels and low pressure .. might be on a 1909 of all the things...

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005
<Mike McGuire>
posted
They should do the whole family..270, 7mm, 300, 338.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
With 160 to 300 grain bullets in 338 that covers the weight range of nominal bullet weights from 7mm to 375. A pair of Rugers in 338 and 416 can be quite the dynamic duo but the 375 will do both ok.

A 338 Ruger with 160 Barnes x bullets @ 3,300 fps could be a varmint gun or with 250's @ 2900 an elk gun.

How often do you hunt DG in Africa?

Seems the 338 Ruger would be a flexible cart for non DG game.

Here are published loads for the 160 Barnes ttsx getting 3,324 fps with the 340 WBY and 250's getting over 2,900 with 250's

http://www.barnesbullets.com/i...atherbyMagnumWeb.pdf

http://74.125.155.132/search?q...=us&client=firefox-a

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 338 Ruger with 160 Barnes x bullets @ 3,300 fps could be a varmint gun or with 250's @ 2900 an elk gun.

Are one could just kill both varmints and Elk with the 250 grainers

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
If you do not mind the extra 10 lbs of recoil from a prone position.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
8 pages on wheter or not the 375 Ruger is selling well or not with no sales numbers presented by either side

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is an interesting posting on Cabelas Gonzales, LA.

They have a limited quantity of as-new Ruger alaskans. (ie. USED) (ie. MORE THAN ONE)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas...categoryId=SEARCH_gl

Ok, TELL ME AGAIN - HOW THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

yes, 8 pages and still waiting.... Dont give a crap about how many are sold, or who loves the concept, its the return rate that is suspect.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
8 pages on wheter or not the 375 Ruger is selling well or not with no sales numbers presented by either side

fine -- why don't YOU call ruger and ask? what would you like to compare this to?

Take a looka t ruger .. never been bought by another comapny, went public, and their stock has beaten the market, especially during 2009 .. if YOU read their 2009 Q report, you will see that they are pragmatic and descerning on their views of their sales, their future sales, and put a nice bow on the obamascare and how it impacts their sales.

"oh oh oh the sky is falling" .. oh piddle, put on your pull ups and get over it .. most, and i repeat MOST big bore rifles are sold second had, with the remainder of the FIRST box of shells ... I've had a couple with 2 shots from the first box gone, "for sale, cheap" .. brno 602, cz, winchester, ruger rsm,.. it don't matter ...

have seen this in 375hh, 416 rem, 416 rigby, 458 win and 458 lott ... in fact, i got my first 416 rem(win model 70 crf, btw) that had had THREE shots fired ..

nothing wrong with the GUN ... things wrong with the shooter's preception and then no one taught them how to shoot a big gun.

especially a LIGHT weight big gun .... people "want" them, and then find out that the recoil is a bit more than they had planned ...

here's a friggin clue ... gunstores don't sell or buy KNOWN bad guns .. there is this thing called a LAWSUIT and sue happy lawyers that prevent that from happening .. oh, the gun may not shoot tight groups .. but there's no KNOWN defects .. and pissing and moaning that you THINK there might be is actually appraching lible ...

like i made a humorous post on .. i see far mroe 270s, 22lr, and 12ga in the used racks than anything else ... guess those are "in trouble" too, yeah.. by this silly reasoning, it MUST be ...

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

fine -- why don't YOU call ruger and ask?

Doesn't interest me either way. You seem to be interested though, maybee you could call

I was meerly making an observation that nothing is beeing proven and only opinion is being posted

- Winston Churchill

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
JWP
what would you care to compare statics to?
how many new 375 rugers were sold in 2009 vs how many new winchesters in 375HH ?
at least 10 to NONE

How many remington 798s? the 798 is so discounted that the remaining inventory is at CDNN ... one presumes remington will not be continuing that particular importation

How many companies added the 375HH vs how many added the 375 ruger in 2009, excluding ruger?
none added the 375HH
at least 2 added the 375 ruger

How often was the 375HH stocked out of brass and ammo in 2009 vs the 375 ruger?

Oh, how about THIS one ..
this is actually a better question, but not EXACTLY on the 375 vs 375

How many major US companies chamber the 416 ruger vs vs 400 HH (fair comparison, as the 400 HH is basically just a necked 375) ..
2 to NONE (not even cz offers the 400 HH)

hmm
odd ...

So, the only SERIOUS and relevent question could be

How many 375 rugers were made and sold to distribution in the US vs how many CZ 550 magnums were made and sold to distribution in the US -- during 2009

Of course we could also poll the reamer makers and ask what the sales rate of the 375 ruger was vs the 375 hh for 2009

or we could call and ask RCBS+Hornady
How many sets of HH vs ruger dies did you sell last year/?

which, of course, all of the questions favor the ruger, not because i set them, but because its NEW ...

ask in 5 years .

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
so, you aren't interested, but you want to task me to call them, as you aren't interested?

which means you aren't interested enough to call, but you might would kinda like to know?

or is that you don't shive a git, and just want to have something to stir the pot?

I am certain, if the ruger bashers even remotely thought that the HH sales beat the ruger sales last year, in the US, that they would be posting those statistics .. the silence on that matter is deafening

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
From this post

quote:
quote:
quote:

fine -- why don't YOU call ruger and ask?

Doesn't interest me either way. You seem to be interested though, maybee you could call

I was meerly making an observation that nothing is beeing proven and only opinion is being posted

You concluded this

quote:
so, you aren't interested, but you want to task me to call them, as you aren't interested?

which means you aren't interested enough to call, but you might would kinda like to know?

or is that you don't shive a git, and just want to have something to stir the pot?

I am certain, if the ruger bashers even remotely thought that the HH sales beat the ruger sales last year, in the US, that they would be posting those statistics .. the silence on that matter is deafening

Jumping to a lot of conclusion I see

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
As for why all the Ruger375 returns: Yes, I though it might be the cartridge fault. Recoil, velocity, accuracy, ammo, something? This preconceived, ie prejudged, opinion was due to my disdain for the 375 Ruger ctg. And, I still dont want one.

But; by keeping the wax out of my ears, I am now leaning toward the idea Ruger has a QC problem. Not a 1 in 10 problem like CZ(?), but; perhaps 1 in 50 problem? Just a guess. Everybody screws up, look at that Toyota 95mph out of control on the Kalifornia highway.

At least the 375Ruger is NOT rebated. Not a little or a lot. Can we at least agree that is a good thing? Or would that step on somebody else sacred toes.

Your disdain for the 375 Ruger ctg. eh?
I posted earlier that you had a agenda when you started this thread and that it is easy enough to figure out the "why" .375 Rugers were showing up on the used rack.. Jeffeosso just handed you the answer on a silver plater.. Lots of need for a .375 anything in the lower 48 states eh?.. Maybe the Ore. and Wash. wet coast or black timber situations for elk in others parts of the country but that's about it.. Oh yeah lots'a need for a .375 in Louisiana isn't there..
Maybe, just maybe the guys that bought them in Louisiana eye's where bigger than their stomach..

Now would you care to explain why you have such disdain for the .375 Ruger cart.?
I bet we don't hear a peep out of you on that question..

Quality control:
I did a search on the largest and very active firearms/hunting forum here in Canada on user problems with the .375 & .416 Ruger and got one hit on the .375 that had a safety that would stick in the on position which was easily fixed.. The .416 was a different story however as one fellow and his buddy bought these rifles and they didn't feed worth a shit.. They were sent back to Ruger and Ruger replaced them but the replacement didn't feed properly either and were sent back to Ruger.. They are now awaiting the return of the second or replacement .416 Ruger..
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Owners words in a PM to me:
The end story is Ruger finally admitted there was a problem with my rifle and feeding issues. I was told that engineering/service?? examined and changed parts and magazine boxes, polished rails feed ramps and lord knows what, and that final and extensive testing NOW has my rifle feeding and ejecting factory ammo flawlessly!!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

But I repeat there was only one report of a problem with the .375 Ruger and that was the safety sticking.. As I said in another post on this thread the .375 Ruger is very popular up here, but some are showing up on the forum classified's for the same reason they are down in the states.. To much gun (read recoil) for what is needed to pop white tail and muley's which is the vast majority of what is hunted in most of Canada..

I don't own a .375 Ruger (have 2 H&H's which I don't use).. So I don't need a .375 Ruger, but lusting after a .416 Ruger which I don't need either.. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
I'll preface my remarks with the admission that despised Ruger in the past due to a) poor accuracy in their rifles, b) Bill Ruger's support of the "Assault Weapon" and magazine capacity restrictions in the '80s and '90s, and c) the Mini-14.

1) There are a LOT of gun stores that sell Rugers, as Ruger sells their guns on consignment (at least they used to). Like head lice and STDs, Rugers are ubiquitous.

2) There are a lot of shooters who want to try the latest 'wondercartridge', then find it not to their liking for one reason or another.

3) The ammunition and components for a .375 (anything) are more expensive than those for a .270 or .30-06.

4) Shooters will sell off guns they use/like least in lean economic times.

Add those four factors together, and you have a reasonable explanation for the seemingly large number of Ruger .375s in the used gun racks.

Shooters are a fickle lot.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001
<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:

most, and i repeat MOST big bore rifles are sold second had, with the remainder of the FIRST box of shells ...

Lot's of truth there. We have a large gun sale place in Australia that simply lists the guns/photo in ascending calibre order.

The number of 375s, 378s, 416s, 458 and 460 for sale is way out of proportion. In Australia the 378 is regarded as the most resold of all rifles. Plenty of 378s where by the time it hits the 4th or 5th owner it still has not fired a 100 shots Big Grin

But after 55 years Wby keeps 'em coming out and if gun laws allow I think the 375 Ruger will still be there in 55 years. There is a big wide world outside forums.

In a nutshell if someone is not concerned about tradition or pretending they have a connection wth Holland and Holland etc. the 375 Ruger is currently the best package for any big banger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Add those four factors together, and you have a reasonable explanation for the seemingly large number of Ruger .375s in the used gun racks.
George

You forgot one other thing, George. It's still plenty cold in most of the states. Once the weather heats up and the tomato vines get to growing, those Cabelas Roogers will sell as jim-dandy tomato stakes.

Poor Jeffe will probably have a coronary over that remark.

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
There will always be a certain class of hunter and shooter that can't stand it when other guys use a different tool than they did and got as good or better results with it.

Right behind them will be grown boys with milk on their chin that can't collate enough information to replace the warmth of the herd, which they need to purchase a firearm and feel good about it.

Well, best wishes to both of you. I'll await the demise of my chosen cartridge in the field. I hope to make a few more shots before it turns back into a pumpkin. Big Grin

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009
<Mike McGuire>
posted
One of the things I have always liked about Weatherbys, especially the 378 based calibres, is they just plain irritate so many people. I might need to buy a 375 Ruger Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have counted a total of 5 different .375 Rugers at my gun range the last 3 visits. thats not a bad percentage.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007