Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shame on Wendell Reich
 Login/Join

posted
My husband and I booked a hunt through Wendell Reich in July of 2006. We did a lot of research before booking this hunt. One of our main concerns was getting our trophies back. Wendell assured us that Dudley Rogers from Tshabazi Safari had been in business for 20 years. He stated the average for shipment on trophies from Zimbabwe was 18 months but Dudley averaged around 12 months. We spoke to Dudley Rogers in January of 2007 at the SCI Convention and was told that our trophies would be shipped by April of 2007. Almost 28 months later we still have not received our trophies. This was due to the fact that there was no acquittal number until June of 2008. This was Dudley's neglect. The acquittal number is what is needed for the banks to sign off the trophies before they can leave the country. I was told again by Dudley Rogers in a phone conversation in May of 2008 that they had the acquittal number and that our trophies would be shipped within four weeks. Still no trophies.

We contacted the Hunting Report in March of 2008 to have this conflict published and we were told to give Wendell and Dudley more time and were assured that our trophies would be shipped within a few months.

In the last e-mail we received Thursday, October 23, 2008 from Wendell Reich he stated, "I spoke with Dudley today and told him Barbara Crown from the Hunting Report was going forward with printing the conflict. He said, "That is fine, but Adams need to consider that if anyone in Parks gets word of this, and gets this report, they may, out of spite, intentionally delay or prevent the trophies from shipping." Wendell further stated, and I quote, "I hate to see you intentionally do something that could possibly cause additional delay or prevent the trophies from shipping."

How convenient to blame the Parks at this point when the paperwork to ship was not even taken care of until May of this year. How am I going to prevent the trophies from being shipped? Our compliant is not with the Parks. They are just an easy scapegoat for not taking care of business over a year ago.

Wendell should be ashamed of himself as a booking agent for even putting this in print. We have spent a considerable amount of time and money to get our trophies home which is part of our paid hunt. This is the third time that we have been threatened by Wendell for telling the truth. Wendell has given us no help, except to tell us to be quiet and wait.

If we don't ever get our trophies back we will know that Wendell and Dudley contacted Freight Consultants and told them not to ship our ruined trophies. If a phone call is that easy than why can't a phone call be made to have our trophies shipped? It was Dudley's neglect for not taking care of his business which has caused this problem. Wendell nor Dudley did not have any problems taking our money for the hunt, but now, once again they both want to blame the government instead of getting our trophies back like the booking agent that he claimed to be. If Wendell or Dudley spent as much time and effort working on getting our trophies back as they have trying to cover their butts and blame the government, our trophies would have already been home.

The only thing we did wrong was trust our booking agent. Our trust was violated, now we are getting threatened for asking for what we paid for.

How can Wendell or Dudley even look themselves in the mirror when they are denying us the help to get my first African Animal back or my husband's first Elephant? When we booked this hunt we were assured that we would get our trophies back. We feel that we have been extremely patient and polite, but the actions of Wendell and Dudley are over the top. We have come to the realization that after all of this that Wendell and Dudley will ensure that our ruined trophies will never come.

It is pretty low that a booking agent and outfitter results to threats and scare tactics against clients. I see the hunting industry in a whole new light, where booking agents and outfitters are all about, "Free Hunts and Commissions!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't seem to me that Wendell was threatening you. Considering it is Zim, what was said about Parks holding it up out of spite if they got wind of a bad report could be the case. What he told you sounded like good advice to me.

Are you sure you really want to title your first post on AR "Shame on Wendell Reich"?

I've never booked a hunt through Wendell but I have never heard a negative thing about him and have only heard positives about how he handles problems as they arise. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a sad and bad thing that has happened to you. I used Wendell for my first hunt a couple of years ago because of his reputation and the way he had handled problems that had occurred on other hunts which were reported on this forum. Wendell values his standing in the hunting industry and would do nothing to intentionally to harm it. I hope this bad situation works out for you but Wendell Reich is not a bad person.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHat can Wendell do here in the US?? If you want to play the blame game, place the blame where it should be placed. Zim. is in the tank, Lots of hunters on AR that hunted Zim have had delays getting their trophies. Is it the booking agent's fault?? Maybe the hunting company part of the problem I don't know but Wendell has always been a person of his word dealing with me.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so sorry to hear of your loss of trophys----that really sucks!

My question for Zim posters and hunters of recent years is; are others having trouble getting their trophys too?? Is this an isolated case or a real problem for other hunters and booking agents? I believe Reich has good reputation --so is this a Zim problem or what?

I am interested in going back to Zim soon, so would really like to know what is going on with trophy shipments out of Zim Confused

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quickshot:
so sorry to hear of your loss of trophys----that really sucks!

My question for Zim posters and hunters of recent years is; are others having trouble getting their trophys too?? Is this an isolated case or a real problem for other hunters and booking agents? I believe Reich has good reputation --so is this a Zim problem or what?

I am interested in going back to Zim soon, so would really like to know what is going on with trophy shipments out of Zim Confused

I think if you do a search you will find that there are problems with getting trophies out of Zim that have nothing to do with booking agents. I believe Ganyana has posted on this more than once. I have a set of elephant tusks that are waiting on papers. There was a tie up over CITES paperwork with our Fish and Wildlife if I rememeber correctly as well.

I don't recall ever hearing a bad report on Wendell before, but I don't have a dog in this fight as I have never used him before. Just hasn't been needed and for no other reason.

While we want to learn from things that get posted on AR, I do find it somewhat in bad taste to come on the first post on AR with these statements. I am not sure it's benefical to anyone except the poster to vent their frustrations with the process, which I happen to consider needlessly involved. However, African political appointees operate in a world of their own. In due time, in due time! The watch and calendar are unimportant except for when it's time to call it a day or take a vacation from the office!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Linda,

I hope that made you feel better. However, those of us who know Wendell know that he is honest in his dealings. I'm sure he feels bad for you, but in case you didn't get the bulletin, Zimbabwe bureaucrats don't care how you feel.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know either of the parties involved here but it's nice to see blame the victim.

IT'S BEEN TWO FREAKING YEARS! Get it, any current problems are not relevant.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some days it just doesn't pay to chew through the restraints.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have no dog in this fight, However, I made a comment about "shameless advertising" on this forum and was told it is not only ok but encouraged. I see no reason why a first post cant be negative. If people wish to advertise here they must live with the results of a free enterprise system. This forum does not belong solely to those who have 50 or 500 posts.If so tell us newbees to piss off!!

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sad to see this post I know Dudley and Wendell. They are both good and honest people. neither one would ever do anything to intentionally delay the shipment of trophies. To do so is not in their best interest.

Zimbabwe is a real mess right now. Every one there is scrambling to just have food potable water and shelter. Electricity to run computers and phone communication , land line or cell is almost none existent in Bulawayo.

I have hope that your trophies will get sent sooner or later. I know that it is frustrating as hell to know that they are in shipping and you can't just get some one to put them in the crate and send them.
e

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
It's Zim, not Wendell or Tshabazi. I waited over two years before hearing from the folks in Zim about trophies that had only to be dipped and packed. I am still waiting to hear from the shipper in Namibia from a hunt 12 months ago. Maybe the author of this thread thinks complaining here will speed things up. I feel sure Wendell has already done everything in his power to help, and am glad to be able to put in a good word for him. The above complaint would make me say "piss on 'em", but Wendell is probably a better person than me.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the point is...Linda and her husband have a right to speak what they feel is the truth...and certainly should have had their paid for trophies by now. While we know there is corruption in the game and parks commission...that also lends a hand to the outfitter paying off the appropriate officials to get his clients property released. Folks...I don't care where you are...money talks and business gets done. You can bet that if you were standing in her shoes...you would be pissed too. There is a lot at stake here...for all parties involved.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also do not have a dog in this fight but I would take the word of an AR member that I have heard positive things about before I would take the word of someone in the Zim government or a first time post.

Also, in Hunting, as in life, things don't always go like we plan for them.
Everything in everyday life is subject to bumps in the road. It amazes me the expectations that some have for those in the hunting business.
You can pay for the top of the line best car money can buy and still have engine problems. You can go to the best resort in the world and get rained on. Your cell reception might not be as good as advertised etc etc etc.
Life happens. Hunting is no different.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
For those with a subscription to The Hunting Report, you can read all the letters and emails between the three of us. (The Adam's, Dudley and me).

For those without a subscription, here it is in a nutshell.

The initial problem was that Dudley lost some of the export paperwork. Getting paperwork re-issued is more difficult than getting the initial papers. This caused a huge delay.

This delay pushed the export of the trophies back to this spring/early summer. This is about the time the USF&W wanted Zimbabwe to re-design their CITES export permits, stopping all exports.

Zim did re-design their permits and then discovered there was no place for Elephant tusk weight to be entered. I believe Ganyana may have posted a lot about the trophy shipping problems from Zim. The Hunting Report also posted reports on the huge trophy backlog.

The trophies are in the crate sitting at the shipping company and have been there since sometime in 2007.

Yes, there have been plenty of delays and plenty of reasons for the Adams to be frustrated. I am frustrated, Dudley is frustrated as well.

Yes, had Dudley not lost the papers, this would not be an issue now.

Had this happened in any other country but Zimbabwe, this would not be an issue and the Adams would have their trophies on their wall.

It is extremely unfortunate what has happened. I have apologized to the Adams numerous times.

Nobody has ever blamed the Adams, nobody has ever threatened them. The email that I sent to the Adam's, that she quotes in her third paragraph as a "threat", was sent to her and cc'd to Barbara Crown, owner of The Hunting Report.

It is a very unfortunate situation. One that I hope is resolved soon. Unfortunately, I have no control over the situation. I keep in touch with Dudley, and see that he is doing his best.

I hope this is resolved and they get their trophies soon.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

Responding to this quickly and with detail surely shows your honesty and willingness to help as much as possible. Good luck to all of the parties involved in resolving this to their satisfaction.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The biggest shame in all of this...

Here's THE place on the internet to possibly get good information on Africa hunting.From not internet posers,but people with "been there, done that" experience.I know it's helped me....

28 months is to long,an unfortunate paper work misplace;combined with additional goverment problems this year;led to a perfect storm.

Sadder yet is that the original poster won't benefit from all the wisdom of others that have been in the same position.Cause she got her pound of flesh in her mind,and never to return....

Want some wisdom?

I have a taxidermist who has been doing African mounts since when you had to build your own forms.

He mounted a full size elephant last winter...

I had the privledge to watch the process...

The cape was salted....30 YEARS ago,and in storage all that time...

Makes me wonder if the Adams' read the Hunting Report?They have had several articles on shipping problems from Zim,in this same time frame....

Good luck to all involved....

Dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Linda,
In a not so perfect world, it is unreasonable to expect miracles..I am sure you will get your trophies if you exhibit a little patience..The 3rd world does not operate on a USA time counter, those folks just live from day to day and let things happen in their own good time..

IMO it would have been wise to take Wendells advise and not start pushing your weight around in Zimbabwe and makeing folks over there mad, it sure won't help your case..Let Wendell handle it. He had no control over this situation, surely you can see that.

I have known Wendell for a good many years and I know him to be honest and fourthright and that he will expedite your problem as best he can. He btw is my competitor so I have no dog in this fight either, but I recognize good advise when I hear it..

As booking agents we all know that you cannot please everyone 100% of the time in this business, nor in any other business when you deal with the public..but we all do our best.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Ray, that was standup - and right on.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well Boys, thanks for ripping on me because I am a woman, I can tell that this is a man's forum and was hesitant to post.

However, I have worked inside of a prison for 19 years and around criminals that a murders and rapist and guess what they are nice people to.

Why don't you try walking in my shoes and what if it had been your wife's first African animal? Would you feel the same way?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Linda,

I've been posting on this board for about seven years. I have seen posters come and go. I very seldom get involved in pissing matches and doubt you could find over two or three negative posts of mine during that time. I've been the subject of unwarranted derision, descrimination and harrassment during my 56 years. I have a mother, wife and daughter that I love very much and numerous female friends. I am very sensitive to any slur directed to any of them in regards to their gender. I can also read and read between the lines.

To a large degree this is a mans forum simply because its about guns, hunting, killing and outdoor sports. Many women are not enamoured of this. However, there are a number of well respected female posters that are here also.

I have read all the posts on this thread and see no evidence of anyone "ripping you because your were a woman"

It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and one act to destroy it. I do not know Wendell Reich, but I have read his posts for close to seven years. He has credibility on this board, established by a seven year track record.
You come on this board without having established any bona fides and basically accuse a man of being a theif, liar and scoundrel. I think you are the one who should be ashamed.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Linda,

I've been posting on this board for about seven years. I have seen posters come and go. I very seldom get involved in pissing matches and doubt you could find over two or three negative posts of mine during that time. I've been the subject of unwarranted derision, descrimination and harrassment during my 56 years. I have a mother, wife and daughter that I love very much and numerous female friends. I am very sensitive to any slur directed to any of them in regards to their gender. I can also read and read between the lines.

To a large degree this is a mans forum simply because its about guns, hunting, killing and outdoor sports. Many women are not enamoured of this. However, there are a number of well respected female posters that are here also.

I have read all the posts on this thread and see no evidence of anyone "ripping you because your were a woman"

It takes a lifetime to build a reputaion and one act to destroy it. I do not know Wendell Reich, but I have read his posts for close to seven years. He has credibility on this board, established by a seven year track record.
You come on this board without having established any bona fides and basically accuse a man of being a theif, liar and scoundrel. I think you are the one who should be ashamed
GWB
thumb

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
GWB:

Well, well well. I kind of figured that I would get attacked by Wendell's fans. However, I am not ashamed of what I said as I have spoken the truth.

Just because your opinion is different than mine does not make either one of us wrong.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, without question, it is Dudley's fault due to his losing some of the papers that this situation exists.....what extra efforts, if any, has Dudley made to compensate for his initial mistake? Have the Adams been offered any recompense for the delay in shipment and their angst, because if they haven't, they should be.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Linda,
What I wrote was not an attack. I made the observation that I saw no instance of anyone ripping you about your gender. Point out to me the poster that did so.
I also stated that I do not know Wendell. I have never had a one on one conversation with him much less booked a hunt from him. I have read his posts and due to 45 years of hunting, tracking, reloading, and being in the outoors among hunters, I know from my own experience that what he writes it true and accurate. I have yet to take exception to any of his posts in these regards.
I can read his posts, agree or disagree without being a fan.
GWB
ps: Now if you want me to stoop to personal attacks, I can do that.

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have read all the posts on this thread and see no evidence of anyone "ripping you because your were a woman

I certainly did not see it Confused

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread is a bunch of shit. Someone comes on here and starts trashing the reputation a well-respected member over something over which he has no control and when some of us take exception we are sexist. Give me a break.

I've never met Wendell face to face but I have been around here long enough and read enough of his posts and do know enough people who use him as an agent to know that to just come on here, out of the blue, to question his character and attack him is bullshit.

Cheers,
Andy

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Linda, we have a few ladies as active forum participants. If you spent a little time here you'd find they get treated with the utmost respect and even adoration.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linda Adams:
Well Boys, thanks for ripping on me because I am a woman, I can tell that this is a man's forum and was hesitant to post.

However, I have worked inside of a prison for 19 years and around criminals that a murders and rapist and guess what they are nice people to.

Why don't you try walking in my shoes and what if it had been your wife's first African animal? Would you feel the same way?

My daughter also works in a prison and so I can see some of the same mindset in you that she displays. Whenever there is a conflict she is quick to pull out the "you pick on me because I'm a woman" card.

The only person that has brought your sex into this post is you. The one person who mentions anything even close to that said "Linda and her husband" and that was a person taking your side.

It's not your sex that anyone else has a problem with, it's your attitude and manners.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Linda
I can see that you are frustrated with getting your trophies back. I understand becasue I have been in those shoes before. It does take time and sometimes things just are out of our control. I beleive that Wendell has admitted that there was some faulty paper work on Dudley's part and I am sure tha Wendell is doing everything he can to help you get this resolved. Keep in mind that this is Zim that you are dealing with. I do not know Dudley at all, however, i consider myself a good friend of Wendell's. We first met in Africa on a hunt 8 years ago when he had 3 clients on a hunt with us. I have known him to be very knowledgeable about the areas he books and I have spoken to many of his cleints in the past at various shows and conventions. Not 1 has said anything negative to me.I am not saying that we are not excused from mistakes being made, however, I would not hestitate to put my reputation on the line for Wendell. My taxidermist for over 20 years made a mistake on one of my mounnts this year. It was the 26 animal he has done for me. And he is still my taxidermists and always will be. Now I know you are a little pissed about your trophies, especially being your first and I can say that I am truly sorry for you. I dont think any of us wish that upon a hunter or huntress. We all deeply care about hunting and our rights to do so and I hope you would continue to use the AR for knowledge and to update your hunting stories. But unfortunately, these things do happen as with every business as you know.

If there is one piece of advice I could give is too let Wendell help you. The same as you would with your PH in the field when he tells you to shot or not. They are the experts in these matters and know how to get things corrected.

Just my .02 but I do hope you get your animals soon becasue I know alot of people are still waiting on trophies from Zim.

Good Luck!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met Wendell through a referral while looking for a seven day Tanzania buff hunt. I booked with him, got a fair price, was treated like a gentleman, and had a hunt of a lifetime. I just booked another hunt with him a few months ago for Tanzania.

He has always kept his word, treated me with respect, been willing to answer questions, some of which had nothing to do with my bookings, and is an all around good guy.

He has a good reputation among his clients. I am not a fan. I am one of his clients. Besides, I'm too old to be much of a fan anymore, except of the Selous.

Over the years, I spent a cumulative four or five years or therabouts working in various African countries. The very first thing you learn is they do things their way and could care less about your way.

According to what I have read, there was a paperwork foulup. In the States, that might take a few days to clear up. But: You're dealing with Africans in a country where your problems are miniscule compared to what that country is suffering. I don't know how much you know about Zimbabwe, but it is a wreck. Good people are trying to make a go of things in the face of great adversity, rampant starvation, and political upheaval, with the infrastructure having all but completely crumbled.

As other posters have said, you will not be discriminated against because your're a female. On the contrary, we have so few that hunt and hang out here that you normally would be welcome. But I would imagine that when invited to a party, you do not immediately throw your drink in the host's face.

I hope you get your trophies. Many others are in the same boat. It's nothing personal. It's Africa. Get used to it.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quickshot:

My question for Zim posters and hunters of recent years is; are others having trouble getting their trophys too?? believe Reich has good reputation --so is this a Zim problem or what?

I recall some posts of difficulty getting trophies out of Zim a while back--------the problem still going on or what? Booking agents, are you still recommending Zim or should I consider going elsewhere ----due to the trophy shipping problems?
I have no bone in this fight nor interested in getting in th middle of an arguement. I don't know Wendell or ever met him. Only know he has a good rep. and is well respected on AR.
just want to know what is the collective advice on Zim and if the trophy problem continues or not??
thanks,

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first saw this post I thought 'uh oh'. I'd met Wendell at SCI Dallas and was sitting at his table during dinner one evening. Found him to be a very nice and unassuming guy.
What I've learned from this thread is my thoughts on Wendell were spot on. Just reading the posts on the guys/gals who have had prior dealings with him show him to be a person with a very good history and obviously respected.

Linda, while I can empathize with you about your trophies, it's fairly common knowledge that Zim is a screwed up country. Furthermore you lost all credibility once you threw your breasts out there as the reason for lack of concern.

With that said, I'd be real surprised if Wendell isn't still trying to do everything he can to get you your trophies.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did I miss something here? Did WR let you know that it might take a couple of years to get the trophies that you and your husband paid for? Upfront?

I got ten dollars (US) that says if the outfitter got the last 1/3rd of the money when the trophies cleared US Customs, that the trophies would not have taken 30 days to clear.

I have learned two things here:

1. stay out of Zim for the time being.

2. ask your outfitter to wait for his money until he finishes up what he is paid for.
that of course, will happen when pigs fly.

You guys sure pile on this lady, from the list of posters there is not one that would not be screaming like a stuck pig if the trophies were his and his wife's.

I had a sudden brainstorm; let's substitute Hein Rifles for WR and y'all let me know if that makes a difference.
Not relevant you say? That's true, Hein hasn't had anybody's money for more than 24 months yet.

Shame on all of you. If those trophies were mine, there would be one outfitter advised to not announce when and where he would be returning to the US unless he were personally escorting said trophies to my house. You guys would have something to talk about.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am quite familiar with this situation as Bill an Linda Adams called me earlier this year looking for help in understanding what was going on, and in resolving this matter.

While it's true that the agent has limited leverage in this type of situation, one should consider all the facts before shooting the messenger.

The delays since May of this year (2008) may have something to do with the bureaucracy in Zim and the recent CITES paperwork problems there, but the original delays were caused by the outfitter (the hunt was in July 2006 and the trophies (dipped and packed, not mounted) should have left Zim by mid 2007 if Dudley had lived up to Wendell's original commitment on turnaround, avoiding the CITES mess (which surfaced in 2008) altogether. If I recall the conversations, the outfitter not only lost the TR2 but also the ivory cards. Then it seems the bank wouldn't issue an acquittal number because the outfitter couldn't account for the foreign exchange in the required manner.This was eventually issued in May 2008 and the trophies should have left Zim immediately thereafter, as they were crated and in the shipper's warehouse ready to go. However, they did not and again the Adams were left in the dark as to what was going on. The CITES permit was in fact issued in Sept of this year, but there was yet another problem. Excerpt from an email from Freight Consultants dated Sept 17: "The cites permit has been issued and the trophies have been inspected for cites verification. However, there was a variance. The warthog skull was found inside the box but was not shown on the packing list and thus was not included on the cites permit." Not only does this point to yet another paperwork error, but Warthogs are not governed by CITES so this is clearly another run-around.

Throughout this affair, the Adams were kept in the dark and when they tried to get the matter resolved, they were treated like relatives who have overstayed their welcome. They became quite frustrated because the outfitter would not take their phone calls and could not offer them a good reason for the delays. He would put his daughter on the line to fend them off. Meanwhile, the agent was feeding them pabulum instead of taking the time to explain in detail what was going on and what could and could not be done. It was I who had to explain to them what an acquittal number was. I also had to explain about the CITES paperwork problems in Zim earlier this year, that extended the delays, as well as clarify the Warthog matter. If Wendell was "doing everything possible", then these questions would not be asked of me. And so far, neither Wendell nor the outfitter have offered the Adams any consideration at all for their troubles.

When they went to Don Causey earlier this year, it seems the good old boy network kicked in because Don resisted their request to publish a negative report. To his credit, he actually tried to get the responsible parties to get this resolved by writing a letter, and shortly thereafter the acquittal number was issued.

Linda's point regarding prison inmates has been misinterpreted. She is not saying rapists and murderers are actually nice people. She is responding to the overt and covert groupies who are saying that Wendell is a nice guy and therefore he can't be guilty as charged...in her opinion, someone who is apparently nice is not necessarily innocent.

Her reaction to being pissed on was unfortunate, but understandable. Being totally surprised at the stoning she has received on this thread, given what they have been through, she can only assume that it's a sexist thing when in fact the problem is that the full story has not been told, compounded by the fact that some have not bothered to digest what she did post, and then finally, being new to this forum, she did not anticipate the groupie factor.

For the record, Linda and Bill Adams have never booked anything through me, nor do I expect any booking from them. And despite what Wendell and his supporters will no doubt say in response to this post, I don't have any grand strategy to profit by their misfortune...I just post the truth as I see it. I hate to see someone who has been wronged, kicked when they are down, while the perpetrators get a round of applause.

So now you guys can all piss on me as well. I fully expect the normal "blacklisting" and "hell freezes over" comments and can probably predict the posters. To quote from Gone with the Wind, "I don't give a damn".

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ Gould,

Dear Sir,

Thought I might check back on this thread and read your post.
I tried to do a search on the previous 4 posts that Ms. Adams had left. I came up with nothing. As I said during my first post on this thread, I usually do not get involved in these types of discussions because they generally do nothing but create hard feelings, do not resolve the problem and degenerate into name calling.
Having said that let me address your post.

I for one did not attack and have not attacked nor impuned Ms. Adams. I did not chime in with my $.02 until after her second post. I simply pointed out that time that Mr. Reich had an excellent reputation on this board over a number of years, that no one had impuned Ms. Adams because of her gender, and that from my point of view she should be the one to be ashamed.

From a strictly logical and rational point of view, she is the one that came on this forum with no previous record, bona fides or reputation and when the opinon of the persons who post on this board did not suit her, she cried foul and fell back on the canard of her gender. Go back and read the posts and point out to me which poster made a personal attack on this lady.
I have no bone to pick with her or you for that matter. I am sorry that she has not been able to get her trophies and evidently there is much water under the bridge that I cannot know about or understand. However, it would appear the both she and you are quick to take umbridge.
I would say that from my point of view she is welcome on this board. There are many fine people here, and a wealth of knowledge and entertainment as you must know, since you have logged over a thousand posts during the last five years. No flaming here, best of luck to the both of you.
GWB
PS: a couple of platitudes that have stood me in good stead.
1. You catch more flies with a drop of honey than with a gallon of vinegar.
2. The bible tells us "that a soft answer turneth away wrath".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, we have trophies in Zim in some form or another dating back 2 years or more and I suppose that we will see them eventually. I don't know who is to blame, if anyone is: its just the system. Hell, we have been waiting on our government, the Government of the Virgin Islands, to issue a Notice to Proceed for a contract we were issued over 3 years ago, and we are supposed to be a 1st world country. Don't get wrapped around the axle over this, because in my estimation the experience of the trip is my true trophy.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Did I miss something here? Did WR let you know that it might take a couple of years to get the trophies that you and your husband paid for? Upfront?

I got ten dollars (US) that says if the outfitter got the last 1/3rd of the money when the trophies cleared US Customs, that the trophies would not have taken 30 days to clear.

I have learned two things here:

1. stay out of Zim for the time being.

2. ask your outfitter to wait for his money until he finishes up what he is paid for.
that of course, will happen when pigs fly.

You guys sure pile on this lady, from the list of posters there is not one that would not be screaming like a stuck pig if the trophies were his and his wife's.

I had a sudden brainstorm; let's substitute Hein Rifles for WR and y'all let me know if that makes a difference.
Not relevant you say? That's true, Hein hasn't had anybody's money for more than 24 months yet.

Shame on all of you. If those trophies were mine, there would be one outfitter advised to not announce when and where he would be returning to the US unless he were personally escorting said trophies to my house. You guys would have something to talk about.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

That pretty well sums up my view of it. It is the PHs fault, he should have rectified it. It damn sure isn't the poster's fault and people are jumping on her simply because they like Wendell Reich. Shameful.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gato,
At the risk of being redundant;

Who jumped on the lady. A number of the posters expressed sympathy.

I am no more a friend or fan of Wendell Reich than I am of you. I have never had a one on one with either of you. Add to that I would put much more weight or credibilty to your posts than that of someone that had one or two posts on the board. I have read your posts for several years, and although I may not agree at all times,I do not recall an instance where I found you not to be credible or disagreed to the point that I would reply.
My main point that neither Ms. Adams, Mr Gould or yourself have addressed is Ms. Adams assertion "Well Boys, thanks for ripping on me because I am a woman" was specious.
I can understand that she is upset and believes that Mr Reich is at fault. However to expect to come on a board such as this as a new member and make the case as she did against Mr. Reich, and then when opinions do not please her blame the members for being good old boys, that shouldn't bring shame on the posters that did not agree with her. I would have to respectfully disagree with you and Mr. Gould,
GWB

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
If this all sounds a little familiar, all the way down to Russ' involvement, it is because Russ posted about this earlier this year. If you want to read through it, WLA is Linda's husband. I see no need to re-hash all that was said there.

See the original post here "We Suck"

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote