New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shame on Wendell Reich
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've spoken with Mr. Reich by phone and he seems like an OK guy. This forum has helped me avoid folks like Mr. Rogers when planning an African adventure. It's OK to drop the ball occasionally but Mr. Rogers seems to have caused more of this problem than the Zim bureaucrats which is quite a feat in itself! It's time for him to make things happen. JMO. Adrian

Posts: 413 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...75?r=3101085#3101085

It can be done and has been done. If RSA and Zim had their act together so that one could get export permits and vet certs before a clients departure, clearing yourself out of checked baggage should be no problem in the US. Yes, the reality is that both of these countries probably won't get their act together to such a degree...but that's a separate issue.

Still, "bitching" after 28 months on this thread IS NOT BITCHING and certainly does not exhibit a lack of patience, it's a legitimate beef even in the developing world where, yes, things move a bit slower. If the agent isn't around to go to bat for a client during this type of scenario after this amount of time, I have absolutely no idea what they might be good for. Such apathy is bad for the client, bad for business in the long run and, ultimately, bad for wildlife.
if you think you can end a hunt and fly out of any African country 2-3 days later with all the proper paperwork to take trophies as checked baggage, then have US Customs USDA, etc. accept them at the other end- well GOOD LUCK. Africa moves at it's own pace and it is glacial.and no booking agent is going to speed it up. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can-AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13177 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
jdollar
I did exactly that on my first trip to Namibia. Skulls, horns and capes in one large checked bag. Only had to pay excess bagage. No problems what so ever.

Posts: 42 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by williford:
jdollar
I did exactly that on my first trip to Namibia. Skulls, horns and capes in one large checked bag. Only had to pay excess bagage. No problems what so ever.

Did you have the vet export permits etc?

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tendrams:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...75?r=3101085#3101085

It can be done and has been done. If RSA and Zim had their act together so that one could get export permits and vet certs before a clients departure, clearing yourself out of checked baggage should be no problem in the US. Yes, the reality is that both of these countries probably won't get their act together to such a degree...but that's a separate issue.

!

there is a lot more to this I think its the US and UK that is shit scared to have diseases like foot & mouth and so on that is why trophies must stay in certain areas for a month before they can be taken to the taxidermist we cant even move the meat its not everywhere but a lot of area's

so dont be surprised if there is a outbreak of F&M and they come and knock on your door for damadges

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by williford:

And what year was this?

posted Hide Post
It was in 2006. Yes our PH got vet certificates. We spent one day in town doing this and shopping.

Posts: 42 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In conclusion shame on you Wendell Reich for making my dream of hunting an elephant and buffalo a reality by helping set up my hunt in Namibia with Vaughn Fulton for August 2009. I am so let down that I have all my airline reservations arranged and cleaning my guns continually. Some type of reactive disorder. Think I will get over it all eventually.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I was away when this thread was posted, and have only now read it.

This is a bad situation and I do feel for the hunter here. No way should this have happened.

But to blame Wendell? That is wrong, just flat out wrong.

I know Wendell. All anyone with any human judgment has to do is spend five minutes with Wendell to know that he is a straight shooter.

I would advise the originator of this thread to re-think this whole thing. The outfitter made a bad mistake here, and the government he must deal with is as dysfunctional as they come. But he does seem to be trying to put things right and get this awful situation resolved.

I hope that his efforts succeed. And knowing Wendell, I also know that, despite the malice and ill-feeling that engendered this thread, he will also keep working to straighten this out.

Africa is not the third world. It's the fourth world. And Zimbabwe is the fifth world. The sixth world, which is just a block down the road from Zimbabwe, is the Twilight Zone.

Don't go there if you can't hit the curveball, because that's what they'll throw you, more often than not.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't go there if you can't hit the curveball, because that's what they'll throw you, more often than not.

I think somebody has finally managed to sum Zimbabwe up in a single sentence.

Bravo!

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9582 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
When things go wrong in Africa, as they certainly will, just take a deep breath and repeat "OIA, OIA"* until you feel the stress leaving your body.

Waiting 28 months for trophies is NOT acceptable. Lost paperwork caused by the HO is NOT acceptable. Blaming an American booking agent is NOT acceptable. Choosing safari in Zimbabwe during the ongoing crisis is NOT a wise decision (regardless of what Don Causey tells you in The Hunting Report).

During my safaris and those of my clients, I have seen or heard directly of an amazing number of problems, including a major Zim taxidermist who tried to steal my Ele hide (1998), an HO who failed to get our rifle permits for Mozambique and then wanted to fly us directly into his camp, bypassing Customs & Immigration (1999), armed locals showing up at our camp in Zambia with a forged copy of a Buff permit and demanding that we shoot one for them (1999), etc, etc, etc.

And the African hits just keep on coming!

I hope you get your trophies but I doubt they will be in good condition at this point.

BTW, some of the posters in this thread very obviously have absolutely no idea of how things work in Africa. Ignore them; I do.

*OIA = Only In Africa

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last few 3 posts are right on the money.

I feel bad them not getting their trophies. However, they are blaming the wrong person.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope this works out! BUT...

Here's my way of looking at the trophy "odyssey" that we all encounter on some level each time we go over and bag a bunch of stuff.

If my trophies make it back great, if they don't, so what! There's nothing I can do about it and although this may sound a bit too "Zen" like, consider the forces at work here; An honorable and proven booking agent, a collapsed government system, an overly buercratic gov't (USA) and a very disgruntled client...The chances of delays / a not so positive outcome are obviously pretty high. Thus I wouldn't get too worked up about things.

I travel worldwide and get into some pretty stick situations. My frame of mind is always the same. I know what I'm getting into and deal with the matters at hand, make it out alive, cherish the memories and don't get blown-away if my souvenirs don't make it back. In the off chance I get off'd, so what again - I asked for it, knew the odds going in (Pay attention to that remark) and therefore am at peace with the outcome, whatever it is.

Reich, et al are doing their best to resolve matters - bet on it. They are in business to stay in business, not to overtly piss-off clients.

Mrs. Adams: I'll bet your trophies do make it back and will look great on your walls! If they don't, I'll bet you have a ton of great pictures and even more fond memories of the hunts. (my first Buffalo was lost, a record book animal) I got over it PDQ, thus maintaing my somewhat limited sanity.

I have a ton of animals either in process, and, or en-route back to the US - Can't keep up with it and don't care to - The best part of any trophy is being able to sit back,light a cigar, take a sip of single malt and tell my kids and their buddies about the hunt - the best trophy is between your ears!

Good luck to all!

JW out

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said, Jeff.

Good advice and observation...

Posts: 10208 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well.......have they received their trophies yet?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by driftwood:
In conclusion shame on you Wendell Reich for making my dream of hunting an elephant and buffalo a reality by helping set up my hunt in Namibia with Vaughn Fulton for August 2009. I am so let down that I have all my airline reservations arranged and cleaning my guns continually. Some type of reactive disorder. Think I will get over it all eventually.

I have a similiar problem with Wendell. I'm spending too much time on the phone and wasting money at the range shooting my .375 getting ready for Tanzania in July. Wink

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The poster is doing everything in her power to recover trophies that she obviously feels as though she is at risk of not getting.

Nothing wrong with her turning heaven and earth over or whatever she feels necessary to get them.

She is obviously not satisfied with the service she is getting on this and is escalating.

Kudos to her for doing what she thinks is right. If she doesn't look out for her own interest can you really count on anyone else to?

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I know this is old stuff...I have been gone for two months, a month in Africa...AND I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I AM READING!!

If these were your trophies and this was your first Africa hunt...you would be FRIED and SCREEMING as well as these folks now are after 24 MONTHS!! This is ridiculous, what are you turning into, a bunch of complacent, take it as it comes, accepting, do nothings??!! If you treat actions like this without making it public, or simply accepting what is dished out...this only PROMOTES THIS TYPE BEHAVIOR AND IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE AND WORSE!! And to blame the Govt., wow, that's a stretch...the Zim Govt. needs all the greenbacks it can get and has pretty well done their job...this is THE OUTFITTER>>>AND CONSEQUENTLY THE BOOKING AGENTS PROBLEM!!...NOTHING LESS...AND THEY SHOLD FIX IT!! QUICKLY!!

This is clearly the OUTFITTERS problem and clearly a mistake, his focus (once found) should have been 110%, ie NUMBER 1 PRIORITY to get it resolved and trophies shipped...then to compound it with a warthog on CITIES..COME ON guys, NO SLACK HERE!!

I will also bet that Mr. Reich has continued to book this guy....by now, I hope he has cut this guy off...along with everyone else, via The Hunting Report publicity, until the problem is resolved...IE NO MORE BOOKINGS!!

With respect to The Hunting Report, it surprises me that they don't want to publish a negative report...that hasn't been thier problem in the past...THIS OUTFITTER SHOLD HAVE BEEN PUT ON THE DISPUTES LIST...stating trophy shipments problems...and stayed there until these people receive thier trophies!!

Is Mr. Reich squeeky clean??...I don't know him, but I heard a very disgruntled report from a hunter that bought a donated hunt at an SCI function and later a dispute arose, he was getting ready to take this up the chain... this favored person(donor/booking agent) suggested/threatened if he took this up the chain to SCI or The Hunting Report...the hunter might not return from the hunt!!

WOW, what is the African Hunters COMMUNITY coming to??

I suggest that these people immediately contact ZATSO and IPHA and give them thier story...these folks will get something rolling...if they don't have MR. Rogers attention by now??!! If they are members of SCI, take it there as well at the Ethics Committee level...this will get attention...

BY NOW, THESE PEOPLE NEED SOME FORM OF COMPENSATION FROM THE OUTFITTER AND FROM THE AGENT!!...WHAT, I'll bet they wouldn't book another hunt with Tsabazi?? Probably financial now...they paid their fees to the outfitter, they didn't get what they paid for, they have been out for 24 months...maybe the outfitter and agent should pay these people's Dip/Pack/Doc and AirFreight???

I also suggest that they put up another posting on this forum, properly titled...simple problem statement, and a monthly update as to progress on the trophy shipment...actually I challenge either Mr. Rogers or Reich do it before the injured party has to...and The Hunting Report pick it up as well...let's get attention where attention is due!!

COME ON, GUYS...support your fellow hunters where they deserve it...DON'T PROMOTE BAD PERFORMANCE BY THE HUNTING PROFESSIONALS OR AGENTS...to do so is killing your own treasured sport. Then you or I will be the NEXT VICTIM...THIS CANNOT BE TOLERATED!!

Oh, by the way, I don't agree with playing the women card...I will go along with what has been said about that!!

That's how I see it!!

Posts: 2574 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is Mr. Reich squeeky clean??...I don't know him, but I heard a very disgruntled report from a hunter that bought a donated hunt at an SCI function and later a dispute arose, he was getting ready to take this up the chain... this favored person(donor/booking agent) suggested/threatened if he took this up the chain to SCI or The Hunting Report...the hunter might not return from the hunt!!

You obviously have me confused with someone else. I have never donated a hunt to SCI. I have donated hunts to DSC, but there have never been any problems with any of these hunts.

You need to get your facts straight before making accusations like this. Do us all a favor and post the details of this donated auction so we can clear this up.

That kind of accusation is completely unacceptable. I await your reply to clear this up.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Wendell isn't out to ruin anyones hunts or lives.

He went above and beyond when I hunted with him.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We are still waiting for our shipment of trophies!! This puts it at 29 months and counting.

We have not received any word from our booking agent Wendell Reich nor the outfitter Dudley Rogers.

It seems they are going to make good on their threats of us not receiving our trophies because of this post and the Hunting Report.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Linda,

Unfortunately, there has been nothing to report. When you cut off cumunication with me a year ago, I told you that I would not bother you unless I had some news.

I have no news, good or bad.

Dudley and I would like nothing better than to see them ship. If there was anything in my power that I could do, it would have been done a year ago.

I am sorry this is happening to you. I hope it is resolved soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Linda,

Don't give up hope. My shipment from my hunt through Wendell at Safaris De Mocambique from June 2005 (over 3.5 years ago) are due to arrive in Atlanta tomorrow (1-5-09). Wendell warned me ahead of time that getting trophies out of Mozambuiqe was slow and he kept his promise. My saga was complicated by the sale of the Safari Company and the meltdown in Zimbabwe, but I kept up a stream of emails with success.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Finally!

dancing

I pick up my full Giraffe hide tomorrow morning that was shot August 04 and tanned September 08, that's more than 4 years later. It sat, salted in Africa for 4 years.

posted Hide Post
Wendell:

You know why we stopped e-mailing you. It was because of the tone of your e-mails and your threats of be quite, wait or you may never see your trophies.

Also, must I remind you of all the hours spent on the numerous e-mails and phone calls that I made on our trophy shipment. You did not even realize that there was a problem until I informed you of it in October of 2007. Your reply was just wait.

If you say that there is no news good or bad, than what have you or Dudley been doing the past few months to try and get the trophies cleared for shipment?

Linda

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to ask you Linda if when Wendall "threatened" as you say that you needed to shut up or you would never see your trophies, was he talking about shut up to him, or perhaps to other people that you were contacting.
The reason that I ask is that while you have a legitimate gripe about your trophies, you come across as a particularly bitter, angry and hateful person.
If you approached this problem in the same tone or worse to the wrong people then as Wendall has said ,yes it probably could hurt your chances of ever seeing your trophies.
In which case he would be completely correct in advising you to be quiet about it and let him handle it.
If however he said that in response to your comments to him then that is a different story.
So which is it? Wendall care to comment?
This seems like a particularly bitter point in Linda's mind and a valid one in my opinion if you were not simply cautioning her against spewing this same brand of anger at the wrong people.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that the sniping at Linda Adams is disgusting. Nobody should have to put up with what she has put up with.

It's not adequate to tell your customers "look at some others who had to" or "that's Africa" or "be patient." How can you tell a customer, "Look, you're getting poor service because I give everybody else poor service."

I have just posted a thread about how my agent and outfitter (Atcheson's and Russ Broom Safaris respectively) got my trophies to me in 2 1/2 months. From Zim!

I don't know Wendell Reich, and it may just be coincidence, but do you think I'd ever book with him, given this comparison?

I don't understand why Wendell cannot call (I'll even give you the phone number if you send me a PM) Dudley Rodgers, who admits making the mistake, and get him to hike his butt over to Harare to the proper government agency and get this done.

The least you could do would be to tell Linda Adams what you are doing to solve the problem, and not simply stonewall by saying, "be patient, that's Africa." Because it isn't!

And/or...do not ever book any clients with Dudley Rodgers again.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Indy

You could not have put it any better. I agree with you 100 percent. I was in the process of writing a reply when yours popped up. Linda is the one who has been wronged

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In '06, I booked a 7-day buff hunt through Wendell with Malagarasi Safaris out of Dar to the Selous. I had a non-certified taxidermist in Florida who had to ship directly to the tanner. Since money was tight, I asked Licky Abdallah, Malagarasi's owner, to try to piggyback my trophies onto another shipment to the same tanner. About a year later, since nothing was happening, I retained a certified taxidermist to handle the trophies. An email to Licky and the trophies hit Miami in a week.

I got what I was promised with Wendell and have booked a Maasailand hunt through him for July this year, a full bag 21 day trip. I have no reason to believe that I will encounter any problems, other than the usual possibilities of lost luggage, lost guns, aircraft delays, flight cancellations, potential for theft or hijacking, malaria, dengue fever, a hyena walking into my tent and biting my face off, poachers, mambas, cobras, pit vipers, and exposure to a variety of diseases unknown by most western physicians and other occurrences that can and do regularly happen in Africa. I'm not worried. Been there; done that.

Unlike most hunters here, I worked in various African countries for a period of almost ten years, in and out, two weeks to a month in country at a time.

On occasion, we had some very hostile people actively trying to kill us. Members of our group sufferd very serious injuries and were nearly killed in a land mine incident in the Sudan. A cockpit with a crew of five strapped into their seats preparing for takeoff was riddled with bullets by an angry Somali with an AK. The airplane was totaled. Miraculously, no one suffered other than a minor injury, although the windshelds were blown out. Thankfully, there are no mines and likely only a few AK-packing Somalis in Tanzania.

I am quite familiar with the way things are done, and not done, on that miserable, wondrous continent.

I can fully understand Linda's unhappiness with the situation. But I will say "That's Africa." Things go wrong. People make mistakes. Governments collapse. Chaos ensues.

Will my group get our trophies out of Tanzania promptly? We won't know until that time comes. I hope so, but given the vagaries of bureaucracy in Tanzania, we'll see. It's a long way from the Tarangire area to Dar. Accidents happen.

Wendell just posted that it took him four years to get a stinkbull hide delivered to Texas. In Africa, anything can happen and often does.

I'm very interested to see how this situation turns out. But I'm not cancelling our hunt because of it.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What jetdrvr said.

I did the same and had similar experiences. The last thing an agent wants for something to go wrong. The shock in this deal will be when the trophies show up and she sees what she has to pay for the shipping - again, no fault of Wendell's.

Posts: 10208 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
If anyone wants a quick recap of the events, scroll through this thread and read only my posts and Linda's posts. Skip all the rest if you like (even though they are overwhelmingly in my favor).

It won't take long and you will get a good feel for the situation.

Not that this thread needs any more comments from me, as I have been clear all along. But, since this was brought back up, and some do not have the time to read all my replies, here it is in a nutshell.

Do not mistake other AR members posts or opinions for mine.

I have not and will not criticize Linda and Bill. They are going through a terrible ordeal. They are frustrated, and angry and think that everyone is lying to them.

I did not criticize Linda for her post.

She wanted this brought up on an "internet trial", so she posted her side. I answered. There are two sides to every story.

I strongly disagree with Linda's assumption that we (Dudley and I) are out to destroy their trophies. That is ridiculous. The easiest way to make this right, is for them to get their trophies.

The trophies have been at the shippers for over a year, crated and ready to go. It is a government paperwork issue. It is not a lack of getting the trophies delivered to the shipper.

We have addressed the issue of possible damage to the capes. I have offered capes of my own that are already tanned, free of charge, Dudley has offered to replace, at his cost any other damaged capes.

Dudley has offered a free Elephant hunt if they do not ship.

All this is in writing here on AR and it is part of the report with The Hunting Report

While I disagree with some of her assumptions I did not criticize her for bringing it up. AR is a forum of hunters and a great place to research outfitters. It would not be the same if we censored all negative posts.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
So Wendell has waited 4 years for a Giraffe trophy and one of his clients has waited 3.5 years for Mozambique trophies. And this is supposed to demonstrate what exactly? Waiting that long for trophies from any African country is unacceptable, and neither of them provides extenuating circumstances which might explain a delay of such length; likely because there can be no reasonable explanation short of the outbreak of war wherever they are located. The implication that this is the norm or at least not out of the ordinary is simply pure BS.

Neither I, nor any of my clients, have ever waited more than 18-24 months for receipt of trophy shipments from any country in Africa. No one should be submitted to such behavior.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always try to understand both sides of an issue. I can certainly understand why she isn't happy. I have had delays before that I couldn't do a damn thing about. I wasn't happy. I can surely understand her being pissed off about that.

If I was her, I would be upset with Simon. It is clearly his mistake. He admits up to it.

What I can't understand is why this is Wendell's fault in her eyes. Should she have contacted Wendell for help? Absolutely. What would she have Wendell do in the case? It isn't Wendell's fault.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Why would I not be angry? I am angry and frustrated after all of this time. As I was told since April of 2007 many times over that our shipment was going to be shipped in 4 to 6 weeks.

Yes, our shipment has been at the shipper since the begining of 2007, however, the trophies could not shipped as there was no aquital number which means that the government did not receive the funds that were needed to sign off the trophies. It took until June of 2008 to get an aquital number.

I contacted Dudley Rogers by telephone as soon as we received the aquital number and asked when it would be shipped? I stressed my concerns to Dudley about the hides being ruined and asked if I could send them to a Taxidermy in Zim to have them tanned. Dudley told me that would not be possible as they would be shipped within 4 weeks.

In October of 2008 the CITIES permit was issued, I was told by Freight Consultants that the trophies still could not be shipped as the Inventory list did not match the contents of the box. Missing on the list was the Wart hog skull, I asked Freight Consultants to dispose of the skull, they told me they could not as the CITES permit had to be re issued. This is only a fraction of the mistakes that were made with our shipment.

Once again Wendell, you bring up that mysterious elephant hunt that was never offered to us in writing from Dudley. Secondly, Barbara Crown, from the Hunting Report called me on the telephone and stated that you had said, if Bill and I published this conflict in the Hunting Report the "Free Elephant Hunt" was off the table.

This was never about a free elephant hunt or giving us capes this was about a business and moral obligation that we as clients expected from our booking agent and outfitter. We paid for a hunt which included OUR trophies which we have never received.

Prior to booking the hunt My husband and I both was assured by Wendell that we would get our trophies back as this was a huge concern of ours. He continued to assure us that Dudley had been in business a long time and this was not a problem.

As I see it, no one is willing to go the extra mile to fix the problem.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Lion hunter,

Linda had expressed concern about the condition of the capes given the length of time it has taken.

My example of waiting 4 years to have a Giraffe skin tanned was to show that skins can survive that long in a salted state and still be fine. It was meant to ease her mind.

The delay on my Giraffe was because I didn't care if I got it or not and I didn't do anything with it for a few years. I offered it to a ph in Namibia and then decided I would tan it in South Africa. I sent it to South Africa and they sat on it for a year before tanning it.

If I wanted the skin, I would have had it years ago. It was ready to ship 6 months after the hunt. I just didn't care ... I kind of still don't care. Not even sure where I will put it.

Big Bore Core holds the record for the longest delay in shipping for any of my clients. (Thanks for posting that Core! thumb I am going to have Fulton give you a weggie at the show). I won't bore you with the issues surrounding that debacle, but suffice to say it was also a government paperwork issue in two separate countries. One of them being Zimbabwe.

Once again, these are things that are completely out of my control. Yet, I take the heat for it because I take responsibility for it. I have never told someone, "Sorry, that is not my responsibility, your on your own." I always try to assist in whatever way I can. In this case, my hands are tied other than communicating with the hunter, (Who won't take my calls for the last year) and the Safari operator, who keeps us updated on the situation.

Lion Hunter, I do agree with you that the delay is unacceptable. Yes, 29 month, 3.5 years both way too long ... that is unacceptable. In fact anything over 18 months should cause you to wonder what the problem is. 24 months is also completely unacceptable. By your own admission, that has happened to you though. Are you to blame for those delays?

quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Neither I, nor any of my clients, have ever waited more than 18-24 months for receipt of trophy shipments from any country in Africa.

By the way, an annonomous booking agent taking pot shots at me is in very poor taste. Being an agent yourself I would suspect that you might have some understanding about the how the documentation system works?

Maybe I assume too much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

Surely you can understand why Linda Adams doesn't want someone else's capes and why she does not want to go on an elephant hunt with the same person, assuming such a hunt was offered.

Why don't you just call up Dudley Rodgers and tell him to go up to Harare, fill out the paperwork, and ask the nice officials what has to be done to ship her stuff? And then do it.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

If you go back and read my prior posts in this thread you'll see I stated clearly that this mess is not your fault and blaming a U.S. agent for what happens in Africa is not appropriate.

The 24 months was a guess and applied to my personal trophies. It was likely closer to the 18 months than the 24, but I honestly don't remember. You didn't originally clarify your 4 year Giraffe.

BTW, I don't feel I took "pot shots" at you. I think you are becoming overly sensitive about this issue, but maybe you should be. It isn't pretty. I choose to post anonymously here so that I can discuss some of the problems I see in the business. I am not actively seeking bookings on this site.

Some of the problems I've personally had with African trophies:
1. Bug infestation, missed by USF&W/Customs
2. Stolen Elephant hide by taxidermist
3. Trophies crated & left outdoors in rain=mold
4. Trophies chewed on by rats

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a change, now we are talking like real hunters that DO CARE ABOUT THEIR TROPHIES!!, THANK YOU!! I was beginning to think we were losing it as a group!!
My latest trophy shipment from way-hell-and-gone-out Mozambique took 15 months...and I was getting real frusterated...that said it was MY ACTIONS causing the delays because of the HORRENDOUS charges for dip/pack/Doc in country, intiial quote $1345 for FOUR animals, and further 150% fees being added to the airfreight bill by the Forwarder in Johannesburg!!... Working ON MY OWN, with little asistance from the PH/Outfitter, I negotiated the fees down by 50% and then I released my trophies trophies for shipment...YES, ALL IN 15 MONTHS FROM THE HUNT!! Note, I did have to abandon one duplicate trophy and have docs redone because it was going to require a second box and double the air freight!! I made all my own decisions and was in control of the negotiations all myself...Y'ALL can do the same...and I have come to believe, after a long Corporate career, ...if you want it done right...do it yourself!!
This issue of what I call "hangers-on" in the safari industry is getting way out hand and is becoming a pet peeve of mine....used to be that PH/Outfitters handled all of their own trophies right to the airfreight office...few still do...it seems that everyone is just to busy to handle all of thier own details...and now hire it out ...at HUGE expense to hunters being charged HORRENDOUS fees to "process" their shipments...OH WELL, this is a subject for another forum...and Discussion in The Hunting Report and Safari Magazine...
I had an interesting, indirect, issue at the hands of Simon Rogers in 1996...I saw Simon used in one message in this string, Are we talking about the same guy, ie in Simon-Dudley?? If so, I might share this incident with this forum as it might shed light on the behavior/attitude of this outfitter...long, long ago...HUH, quite interesting!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2574 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
She wanted this brought up on an "internet trial", so she posted her side. I answered. There are two sides to every story.

I don't see Linda bringing this up as an "interent trial" as much as just warning others and being frustrated about not geting the help she deserves. This all started with lost paperwork that should not have been lost and I get the feeling since the hunt was paid for she hasn't gotten the attention she deserves. However I don't doubt Wendell is working his you know what off trying to make things right. But how can anyone not understand how frustrated Linda is with this situation? What I think some of you forget is for many of us, a hunt in Africa is truly "a once in a lifetime event". To not get our trophies is truly heart breaking and as hunters we should be understanding of that.

Posts: 135 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 02 November 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Right ON!!
WR never responded as to whether he has continued to book for this dude??!!
Can anyone tell me, is Dudley Roger the same guy as Simon...ie a nick name...Dudley??

470EDDY