Find
Notify
Tools

Shame on Wendell Reich
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wenell, puts things in perspective.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gosh and here I was upset with Wendell cause I thought he was giving away elephant hunts and I didn't get offered one Roll Eyes. Seriously I used Wendell for a trip to Tanz last year in Oct. and I haven't gotten my trophies back yet either but I certainly can't blame him for the delay in shipment. It is Africa after all. I think so little of him that I booked a hunt in Zambia for my wife and I next June and feel that he has gone above and beyond what should be expected of a booking agent. I hope things will work out for the Adams but I just don't see the blame falling on Wendell. That being said, I'm still ticked about the elephant hunt Wink

Joec

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted this on the other thread also:

I've been on the forum for several years now and I just have to say that the sexist statement is the farthest thing from the truth around here.

I also disagree with your handling of the whole matter, but you have every right to say whatever you choose. Just don't get all twisted off when others respond. This is a forum on the internet - like it or not - your choice.

Wendell (I've never met him) says that Dudley Rogers admits to his errors so I really think you should do some research on this topic on the forum and see what else is going on in the situation.

Adding:

Most of the time I keep my opinions to myself, but I have to say that while it does not happen often, I have been treated negatively because of my gender (NEVER on this forum!) and so I can recognize the treatment. This ain't it. However, by making it about gender, you make it more difficult on women who don't have a chip on their shoulder about it.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"If this all sounds a little familiar, all the way down to Russ' involvement, it is because Russ posted about this earlier this year. If you want to read through it, WLA is Linda's husband. I see no need to re-hash all that was said there."

Yeah, I remember that.

I had trophies wait in RSA for 18 months, and trophies wait in Tanz. for a year. Everything eventually came through.

I did not comment on the posters accusation of sexism. I just urged patience. I certainly did not attack her. Just passed on a few words of advice based on personal experience.

She's welcome here, as far as this small voice is concerned. Having a daughter, I am particularly sensitive to remarks denigrating our female contingent, and I have seen none here.

All I can report on is how Wendell Reich has treated me, and the aftermath of the hunt he booked for me. I'm not taking sides, just trying to urge patience. If we were all perfect, there would be no missed shots, no wounded animals, all rifles would shoot MOA or better, and everything would be pastoral. We are human, however, a species inherently prone to making mistakes. Sometimes, these can be quickly corrected. And sometimes not.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If this all sounds a little familiar, all the way down to Russ' involvement, it is because Russ posted about this earlier this year. If you want to read through it, WLA is Linda's husband. I see no need to re-hash all that was said there.

Yes, that original post was made after the Adams first contacted me looking for the help they clearly weren't getting from their outfitter and agent. If you care to read it, you will see that the post was a general commentary on the sad state of affairs in the business, citing several examples of poor service without naming names, rather than a "post about this" specifically. Wendell volunteered the identity of the outfitter and agent in the one example on that post. I wasn't plannning to.

Shortly after that original post on AR, the Adams contacted the Hunt Report to alert others to their bad experience. The report was never published. Don Causey put the kibosh on the report, instead urging Wendell and Dudley to take care of the problem. Only now, 7 months after the first post, and 28 months after the hunt, has Don Causey and Co. agreed to publish the story in the Hunt Report. This event triggered the email from Wendell to the Adams, in which he tried again to "persuade" them to pull the report by telling them that publication could further delay their shipment, if the Zim bureaucrats get wind of it. That's either grasping at straws or a threat.

The reason Linda has now posted the story again is that she interpreted Wendell's letter as a threat. It may not have been intended as such, but if you read the email knowing the full story, I can see why the Adams interpreted it as such. Frankly, it ridiculous to think that the Zim Parks bureacrats read this forum or the Hunt Report for that matter, and even more ridiculous to think that they care what is published in either forum. The Adams are holding the outfitter and the agent responsible, NOT Zim Parks or the Reserve Bank. So there is zero chance the bureaucrats are going to delay the shipment out of spite.. Wendell knows that. So why does he make this statement? I have to say, it reads like a threat to me.

The veiled threat is why this thread is titled "Shame on Wendell" instead of "Shame on Dudley" (who owns most of the screw-up here). The Adams feel that they have been threatened by Wendell.

Now I am sure that 99% of Wendell's clients are happy. That's not really the point. The point is how he handles matters when things get messed up. Everyone has their money....the outfitter, the agent, the taxidermist, and the shipper. But the Adams don't have their trophies, and are worried sick that they will never get them, or that if they do get them, they will be ruined.

Sorry to have to spell this out for you guys, but some folks around here need to work on their comprehension skills.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . and some folks, particularly those whose business is dependent on developing, growing and maintaining a clientele, need to focus on keeping their own house in order and not lurking around waiting to comment on competitors and then hollowly sugggesting that they are just trying to helpful and seek and have nothing to gain. Just my $0.02.

Mike

Posts: 21667 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry to have to spell this out for you guys, but some folks around here need to work on their comprehension skills.

Russ,

I don't think many here need your help to comprehend what is going on and what you are doing. You are trying to trash another agent and make yourself look like the white knight coming to the rescue. In doing so you have given the Adams what I and, according to the posts on this and every other one of these threads you have orchestrated, many others consider horrible advice.

I believe the advice and tactics you are recommending to the Adams will make it much more difficult for them to get their trophies. Not because of Wendell or Dudley, but because of the beaurocrats in Africa. You know good and damned well if someone tries to FORCE them to do anything they will get real dumb real fast.

I honestly feel for the Adams; I would be furious if I was in their shoes, and the fact that they have now (unwittingly?) become your latest marketing ploy makes me sick.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linda Adams:
Well Boys, thanks for ripping on me because I am a woman, I can tell that this is a man's forum and was hesitant to post.

However, I have worked inside of a prison for 19 years and around criminals that a murders and rapist and guess what they are nice people to.

Why don't you try walking in my shoes and what if it had been your wife's first African animal? Would you feel the same way?

Mrs. Adams,
I also work inside a prison. I've worked inside several of them actually. I really do work with sex offenders, murderers, gang bangers etc.
Comparing the people on this forum to sex offenders and murderers is beneath you. If you can afford and African hunt I seriously doubt that you are a corrections officer.
As far as I can tell, Mr. Reich, whom I do not know nor have I ever had dealings with, is trying to fix this problem as quickly and painlessly as he can.
However, Zim is not subject to the timeline of American big game hunters. Any government agency, anywhere, is prone to taking it's sweet time with anything they choose. Just do down to your local DMV and demand that your licence be renewed faster.
Madam, you are making your life harder by trying to push your 19 years of prison attitude on the government of Zim, Mr. Reich, and this forum.
Oh and in case you are wondering. Texas Department of Criminal Justice, Field Boss. Ferguson & Hamiltion units. Disaster and response team on Stiles, McConnell, Gist, LeBlanc and the Connaly units.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Once, Wendell and I didn't see eye to eye about a thread on this forum. Later, we met at Dallas Safari Club in Dallas.

We talked and I discovered that I was wrong about my apprehensions. Futhermore, I can say, without reservation, Wendell is a complete gentleman in every way.

I'd not hesitate to take any recommendation he makes.

Others may have problems with the fellow, but I think he's the kind of guy you could call at 3:00 a.m. and before you finished telling him what the problem was, he'd be "hatting up and heading out" to fix it.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know Wendell and think he is a stand up guy from my and my friends, males and females, past deaings with him. It looks like the original loosing of the paperwork started this mess. That could have been easily fixed with time had parks not now get their hands tied by the central bank. The point is all trophies coming from Zim are being delayed for al kinds of reasons most of them BS. You have to realize that much of this is out of not only the booking agents abut also the outfitter as well. It is not in these peoples interest to not help facilitate said shipments when possible. Your interests and theirs are tied together. I hate to bust the illusion but their is no great conspiracy. What happened has more to do with the internal dealings in Zim with parks and banks. Wendell is correct in that if you offend them it could cause even ore problems. While I am at it, what does your being a female have to do with any of this? The responses you are getting are genuine opinions notbased on wether you belong to some old boys club or not. Around here it is equal snd everyone gets a fair say. The fact that they dont like what you are saying is a totall different issue. My advice for what it is worth is to stay on top of it, stay informed and apply what pressure can be applied to the appropriate places. That dosnt mean that bad mouthing and antagonizing people is going to get the results you want. A little more patience and maybe a little benefit of the doubt would go a long way to solving your problem. People everywhere, afrcia especially, dont take well to threats. I would suggest an apology or two where they are due then try to move ahead from there. Any of us here who can help excert some pressure to speed things would more than likely be happy to if asked. Everyone is having a hell of a time getting their stuff out of Zim at the moment

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I have an email from Dudley that he asked me to post.

-----
Hey everyone,including Mr and Mrs Adams,

It was me,Dudley Rogers of Tshabezi Safaris who goofed here, NOT Wendell, and I have apollogised on several occasions to Mr and Mrs Adams for this unfortunate delay, and even offered them a free elephant hunt if we could not ship the trophies,but this has not been the case, and the trophies are at the final point of getting away from here.

We have NOT kept any one in the dark about what was going on and the Adams know that the trophies have been at the shippers since March 07, and have been conversing with the shippers, Wendell and myself, and we have been keeping them as well informed about progress as is possible in Zim.

We have NOT threatened any one,and I believe we have always been as helpful as we possibly could and we have not been rude or arrogant in any way.There is little to nothing Wendell can do to get the documentation done and the trophies moving, and we have certainly not been sitting on our "butts" on this one.

I goofed when I/we lost the Cities docs, ivory cards and reciepts in rather a strange set of circumstances, and then the hollocaust of trying to get it all back together started and we had the fast copy of the TR2 which we went to Parks with and they told us, ok , just do a cross reference to another and get the bank to stamp...done...to Reserve bank,,,,,wait,,,no deal, they tell us to redo everything...the whole process starts again. Ivory cards...Parks,please give us new ivory cards,,,,ok,leave it with us,,,tks......months..cannot do untill you get an affidavt from the police that you lost the cards..we lost the cards, not the ivory!!.....Affidavit please,,,,,Police..never done this before,,,wait,,,,2 months later...etc etc etc.., April 2008, the cities forms had to be changed and no one had dealt with it..I leave the rest to you immagination.

One of our taxidermist companies gave parks a computer to handle shipments, it has been stolen!!

Under normal circumstances I would deserve the criticism,but this has not been normal, and I take responsibility for losing the doc's,but at no stage have we procrastinated on what has had to be done,and we have NO controll over how long banks,parks,police etc take over their beurocratic red tape.

The other thing is that Wendell has nothing to be ashamed of as I just said to him that due to the fact that the paperwork was so close to being completed it would be unfortunate if some negative letter would cause a hiccup in the final process While we are holding our breath for this box to go, and to even suggest that we would stop the trophies is ludicrous.

I would have to give them a free hunt as promised.

Once again Im sorry for this, and I hope and pray I never lose any documents again.
Great hunting for 2009

Cheers
Dudley

Oh by the way,I have helped a couple of people get their trophies who had no doc's done by their hunter.
-------

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also work inside a prison. I've worked inside several of them actually. I really do work with sex offenders, murderers, gang bangers etc.
Comparing the people on this forum to sex offenders and murderers is beneath you

WRONG. It is not beneath her, it goes to the very core of who she is.

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Im glad Dudley was able to get things handled for the Adams and it looks like they will get there trophies sometime soon.

I understand the misfortune is frustrating to the Adams. I can sympathize with that.

I also beleive that in know way that Wendell tried to dismiss his responsibility from his client. It seems to me he tried to do everything in his power to get things fixed.

I hope the Adams will once again enjoy the wild of africa again!

Good Hunting!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
and even offered them a free elephant hunt if we could not ship the trophies

I'd rather have the free elephant hunt. Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 27 October 2008 21:43 Hide Post

quote:
and even offered them a free elephant hunt if we could not ship the trophies

I'd rather have the free elephant hunt. Big Grin

George

That sounds like fair compensation to me.....

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ,

You're taking sides in an apparent attempt in a disagreement between a booking agent, outfitter and their personal clients to feather your own nest.

I may not book my next safari with Wendell, but you may rest assured I won't book it with you.

jetdrvr

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KUDUBULL:
Im glad Dudley was able to get things handled for the Adams and it looks like they will get there trophies sometime soon.

I understand the misfortune is frustrating to the Adams. I can sympathize with that.

I also beleive that in know way that Wendell tried to dismiss his responsibility from his client. It seems to me he tried to do everything in his power to get things fixed.

I hope the Adams will once again enjoy the wild of africa again!

Good Hunting!

X2 thumb good post

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To reiterate my previous sentiments on the issue:

quote:
While I cannot say that I have any sympathy for Russ in engaging in yet another futile effort to turn half truths and innuendo into fact , I do have a great deal of empathy for his dog. Russ has screwed the pooch so many times that the poor animal must have a chronic case of irritable bowel syndrome.

Is there a veterinarian in the house?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
Russ,

You're taking sides in an apparent attempt in a disagreement between a booking agent, outfitter and their personal clients to feather your own nest.

I may not book my next safari with Wendell, but you may rest assured I won't book it with you.

jetdrvr

Russ,
Read carefully, remember what your kindergarten teacher told you - MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.
I agree with Jetdrv and others that you appear to be doing this in an effort to discredit Wendell for no reason other than spite and jealousy. Grow up...

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be hunting with Dudley in June. I hope he loses my stuff. Two hunts for the price of one is OK with me.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We have never been offered a free elephant hunt in writing nor on the telephone and I have spoke to Dudley several times. He failed to mention this. This is the first time that we have actually seen this in writing from Dudley.

This is not about a free elephant hunt,this is about getting our trophies back that we paid for.

However, this still does not explain why the acquital number was never issued until May of 2008. Yes, the trophies have been sitting at the shippers since 2007, but could not leave the country without the aquittal number, nor could a CITIES permit be issued.

How many others have hunted in 2006 and have gone through all this? I just want our trophies back before they are ruined.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delays happen. We waited a year and everything was done correctly. If Wendell says he will get it sorted, it will happen.

Also, be prepared for some serious sticker shock when you get the air bill and the clearing bill and the other odd charges on your shipment.

If the hides were properly "greened", they should be ok. The horns should be ok as well if the correct insecticides were used.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put my name on the list. July 2006, no trophies, most of them ruined. My 13 yr. old son's first kudu, both his civits, etc, etc. My safari operator didn't help but the outfitter agreed to let us replace any animal that was ruined(even though it wasn't his fault) so we went back this year and shot a bunch of stuff again. Hope I get our stuff before I die!
The Zim operators need to take the bull by the horns and set up their own forwarding agency(under the Zim govt. so to speak or whats left of it) and get the ball rolling. The political turmoil pales to the problem of getting trophies out of the country on time. In other words, I don't mind the minor problems I've encountered in Zim but I sure as hell am irritated that I have no trophies that I've paid for. That's my quarters worth.....

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Let me clarify a few things. The e-mail that Wendell posted on here from Dudley I nor my husband has never ever seen. It seems that my husband and I only see censored e-mails.

Wendell nor Dudley have ever kept us informed on what is going on with our trophies. The information that I received was always asking Freight Consultants,the shipping company.

Our trophies are still not any closer to being home with us as they were a year ago. According to an e-mail from Freight Consultants on September 17, 2008, the CITES permit was issued and there was yet another problem as the Wart Hog skull was not listed. Therefore, I stated throw the skull out, I was told that they could not.

I was told in May of 2008 in a phone conversation by Dudley that our trophies would be shipped within 4 weeks.

Like I said I do not expect nothing but ruined hides or if I see them at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know there is a lot of water under the bridge that I do not and cannot know about, but on a lighter note how about posting pix of some of the animals you took on your hunt and maybe a story or two. I would love to hunt plains game in Africa and hope to do so in the next several years. I'm sure there are a number of members here that would love to hear the story of your hunt and see photos.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is proof there is no pleasing some people
Can I have the free hunt you were promised? horse

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lady,
I don't know Wendall, so I'm not "taking up for him" (although his responses seem entirely reasonable to me). And, it's not "sexist" but if I had to come home to you -- given your attitude -- well, I wouldn't. It's Africa. Get used to it. I had a little trouble getting used to the laid back -- maybe it will happen, when it happens -- attitude my first trip too. And my wife's of Irish descent so I've been dealing with that attitude for nearly 30 years. Now, that's part of the charm. Enjoy it.

Posts: 10310 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeff h

You can't have it, I spoke for it first. Wendell can only have so many free elephant hunts and I want it. dancing I am not making lite of the Adam's misfortunes but everything seems to be on the table, even according to them. It would seem a good time to get closure on this thread and hope for an outcome that will satisfy everyone involved. horse BTW if Dudley has an extra elephant hunt, even though I don't know him from Adam, I will volunteer to go and take a chance on the trophys being here whenever.

joec

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Jesus Christ lady! Wendell has posted here that you have been offered a free elephant hunt if you don't get you elephant shipped, Dudley has written a letter which has been posted here that if you don't get you elephant shipment, you will get a free elephant hunt. Guess what? YOU'VE BEEN OFFERED A FREE ELEPHANT HUNT if you don't get your shipment!!

In Dudley's letter above, he has taken responsibility for what has happened so I am not exactly sure why you felt the need to title a thread singling out Wendell. On the other hand, given your allegations of sexism towards all the members who question your allegations or put in a good word for Wendell and your bizarre comparison to rapists and murderers, I can't say it is all that surprising in hindsight.

This whole incident is unfortunate for you and I would sincerely hate to be in your shoes. Shit happens, especially in Africa and I can only imagine that Zim compounds those odds (but surely you knew that before you decided to go to Zim?). After reading the sum total of your posts, however, I can't help but think that karma is somehow at work. No doubt there will never be an acceptable resolution to this unfortunate incident so long as the chip on your shoulder keeps getting in the way.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linda Adams:
Let me clarify a few things. The e-mail that Wendell posted on here from Dudley I nor my husband has never ever seen. It seems that my husband and I only see censored e-mails.

Linda, Dudley sent me that email this morning in response to the thread here. He wanted to reply, and asked me to post it.

You get all the info that I get. There are no censored emails or info kept from you.

As for the free Elephant hunt, Dudley told me to tell them that "They can have a free Elephant hunt if their trophies do not ship." That offer was in an email from me to Linda in October 2007. (October 17, 2007) This is also documented on the Hunting Report. there are dates with it. This is nothing new.

He and I have also promised to replace any capes that are damaged. The horns and tusks will be fine, if there is any damage to the capes, they will be replaced. This offer was made in May or sometime around then. ( this is also part of the information posted on The Hunting Report.) The offer was made as soon as Bill and Linda expressed concerned for the condition of the capes.

We will make it right. We have never acted or indicated otherwise. All the offers are in writing and dated in the Hunting Report.

I offered them a tanned Warthog cape, and I stand by my offer. (all I have is one Warthog cape that is tanned, or I would offer more). Dudley will pay for the rest if any are damaged. I will help facilitate replacing them if they need to be replaced.

Everyone is doing all they can. I hope this is resolved soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not going to attack Linda; she has a right to be pissed.

But let me tell a little story about Wendell's character...it is one reason I booked with him to hunt with Luke Samaris in 09.

I hunted with Wendell in 2005 in Kigosi. On the 5th day of the hunt I took a shot at a nice sable. I was prone with a bipod from about 200 yards (used a rangefiner). No grass in way; heard the bullet plop into the critter -so did Wendell, who was in the truck about 1000 yards away. The sable ran off and the PH called for Wendell to bring the truck up. Well, going around a corner he hit a palm tree. Our tracker was thrown against the rollbar and was in obvious pain. The truck was pretty dinged up. The tracker was in quite a bit of agony; we thought he might have severe internal injuries. Wendell got on the sat phone and called his wife (who is a physician) in Dallas. She walked us through the first aid. We suspected he had a busted or cracked rib.

Wendell offered to pay for a flight in to medevac the guy out. He even volunteered to pay for the truck damages. How many booking agents would have done that?

Character isn't manifested by money, by booking a billion hunts, or by shooting a lot of big animals. It isn't even demonstrated by paying for a client's lost trophies. It shows when you do the right thing for a guy who will never in a million years bring you one bit of business. A lot of guys would have shrugged their shoulders and said, "Hell, he is going to die of AIDS in a year anyway." Wendell treated that guy like his brother.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wendell, are you sly enough to pay this lady to badmouth you on this forum in order to increase business. I am tempted to contact you and book a hunt with you just because of this thread.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the thread of May of this year, the reference to the free hunt was specifically addressed in detail:

quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Russ,

Well, here we go again.

The agent that Russ posted about for the Zimbabwe hunt is me.

I booked him with Tshabezi Safaris, Dudley Rogers.

I will not identify my hunter, he may chime in if he wishes to identify himself. That is his business, and his decision.

He has filed a negative hunt report about the situation with Don Causey. You can read about it there in a month or so.

Russ, I am sure you will be very disappointed to hear the rest of the story, because it does not follow your title of "we suck" but since you tease the members of AR with "hot juicy gossip" about an agent who posts here, and the name will soon leak out (By PM possibly???) and travel like a plague around AR, (Which is what you wanted) I believe the entire story needs to be told before this gets out of hand.

The hunter booked an Elephant hunt through me with Tshabezi Safaris. He shot two Elephant, (one exportable, one non-exportable) and assorted plainsgame (Warthog, Bushbuck, Baboon, Zebra).

He told me and Dudley that he had a great hunt. (He even wrote this in the letter to Don Causey).

Tshabezi Safaris lost one of the forms that is necessary to export the trophies. This is where the trouble began. Getting permits re-issued in Zim takes a long time. He has run into one issue after another.

As for the accusation that I have done nothing??? I have phone bills, emails to the client, emails to Tshabezi, emails to the shipping agent to prove otherwise. As soon as I knew there was a problem, I was involved. To this date I am still involved. I just returned from Argentina yesterday. I was sending emails while I was in Argentina about this problem.

It might interest everyone to know that Dudley has offered (In writing) that if the client does not receive his trophies, he will give him another free Elephant hunt.

In addition to this, you can see in the reply letters to Don Causey that I have offered to give him a tanned Warthog cape to replace his if they are ruined (I would have offered more, but that is all I have).

Dudley has also offered to replace every single cape that is ruined at his cost.

It might interst everyone that the offer for a free hunt was made well before he filed a complaint with Don Causey.

To be perfectly transparent, the offer for the free capes was made after he filed a report and expressed a concern about the condition of the capes. I suspect that the offer would have been made anyway if necessary.

I have done all I am capable of doing. The client has stopped returning emails to me, so, unless I have good news for him, or a substantial update, I do not bother him. I have tried to ease his mind and tell him that they will ship, but it will be a while. This has been met with silence.

I have no desire to badmouth the client because, for quite a while now, I have considered this client and his wife as friends of mine. They are genuinely very nice people, and I can not think of a bad thing to say about them. However, they have lost faith that the trophies will ship. They believe everyone is lying to them.

I would be frustrated as well. I can not blame him. I would want my tusks too.

Now, I will gladly post:
1. The letters from the client to Don Causey (only if he wishes).
2. The reply letter from Dudley to Don Causey and the client
3. And my reply letter to the client and to Don Causey.

I have absolutely nothing to hide on this. A huge mistake was made in Zimbabwe and it is taking a long time to sort it out. Nobody abandoned him, and the proof is in the letters and emails.

It was an honest mistake and Dudley has bent over backwards to fix it. Going as far as offering a free Elephant hunt to the client if they don't ship.

Russ, this is your third attemted attack on me and Tshabezi. Until the first post, I didn't even know who you were. I have never said anything bad about you, I had no reason to, and all I have done is defend bad information about a company that I represent when you claimed that he was going to loose his area.

Now, tell me again ... who sucks?

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/500106968/p/1

In addition, in that same thread, Mr. Adams ("WLA") did state that he verbally received
the offer of a free elephant hunt, although he denies receiving that offer in writing:

quote:
As far as a free elephant hunt in writing, that did not take place. We were told by Wendell per a phone conversation that Dudley was willing to give us a free elephant hunt if our trophies did not arive. It was never put in (writing) to us from anyone.

Although WLA claimed he did not receive the offer in writing, the written offer itself was specifically referenced both in this thread and in the Hunting Report.

As far as the "threat" from Wendall, the story appears to have changed since May. In the May thread, WLA noted that his perception of a "threat" was planted by Don Causey, not Wendall:

quote:
I have not responded to anything here as we were told by Don Causey not to "complicate matters" by contacting Wendell in any way. He also stated that "I think that you are at risk of never getting these trophies". So by posting this here there is a possbility of not ever receiving them due to retribution from the parties involved.

The reason I point out these inconsistencies is that reputations are on trial here. And the credibility of those involved is critical in the forum of public opinion. When one post inconsistent accounts of events, that impacts the credibility of those making the inconsistent statements.

On Wendall's side, all parties fully admit to a major screw up. Yes, shit happens, and sometimes a big pile of it gets heaped on all at once. And let's not forget, we are dealing with Africa. And not just Africa - Zimbabwe - a Country experiencing more than its "normal" share of chaos excerbated by an inflation rate of 1 trillion percent, a bureaucracy in tatters, and shortages of everything from food to common sense.

Would I be pissed if I were in the Adams' situation? Sure. But being pissed off is not going to get a bureaucrat in Zim to move any faster. And in the event the trophies are not forthcoming, the Adams' have been assured that they will be replaced. In the event the tusks don't make it, they get a new elephant hunt. That is a damn good offer, and is perhaps the best offer one could receive in this situation.

When I see conmflicting accounts of the same story from Mr. and Mrs. Adams, I begin to doubt their credibility. Given the offer made to make things right, I also begin to question what other motives are at play here. And when I see one of Wendall's competitors jump in once again to revel in other people's misfortune, I am inclined to dismiss the entire complaint as one being fueled by one ohtfitter against their competition.

Mrs. Adams, no one here spoke to you with any disrespect. To even insinuate that only adds to the questionable motives apparently at play here.

For purposes of complete disclosure, I have never hunted with Wendall or been on any hunt in which he has been involved in any way. We are not related, I have never been to his house, and my only contact with Wendall in the past has been on AR. I am not planning any trips to Africa in the foreseeable future. I certainly have nothing to gain here by any comments I make, one way or the other.

The only reason I am responding here is based on my view that the issues being raised here are not being fairly presented or represented. That is my personal view based on the observations I have outlined above. I can certainly understand your frustration, but I take exception when I see that frustration boil over into something more along the lines of retailiation.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russ,
Read carefully, remember what your kindergarten teacher told you - MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.
I agree with Jetdrv and others that you appear to be doing this in an effort to discredit Wendell for no reason other than spite and jealousy. Grow up...

The Adams called me about this matter early this year and I have spent a lot of time answering their questions on the telephone and by email. I did not initiate this involvement, I merely responded to a call from some good folks who were crying out for help. I think they found my contact info on my website, via AR. Not sure why they picked me, perhaps they figured out that I actually knew a thing or two about Zim. They were extremely frustrated regarding their trophies, they weren't getting answers, and they were at their wits' end. I tried to help them out as best I could, by explaining how the export process works from Zim, what an acquittal number was etc. etc. They have kept me updated as this farce has unfolded, up to the last "oops" regarding a warthog that was omitted from the new paperwork. I have to say, this too sounds fishy as warthogs are not governed by CITES.

Thus I have every right to contribute to this thread, as I know more about the saga, am more involved in it, and have spent more time on it than any of the other folks who have posted their helpful (not too many of those), derisive (lots of those), or downright bizarre comments here. By Vinny's definition, none of them are "minding their own business" either. Tell me Vinny, how is it OK to stick your nose in as long as you are piling on, but not OK if you are supporting the original poster?

In my posts, I tried to explain some of the points that some of the other posters were not getting. Such as the murderer/rapist comment (at least one guy is still not getting that), and why Wendell is the star of this post and not Dudley. Even after my explanation, some folks still don't comprehend the original point Linda was trying to make. Let me make it again: Wendell wrote the Adams an email stating that if they went public on the Hunt Report, this could very well delay their shipment further. That's a veiled threat and that sucks. Sorry, but I call them as I see them.

Frankly, what good is the Hunt Report, if the bad experiences are censored?

I posted here only because I could not stand to see Linda getting unfairly trashed by the AR "mob", knowing full well that a bunch of small-minded folks (and I KNEW the smallest of them all, Manion, who has never been to Africa and knows nothing about Zimbabwe, the Adams or the matter at hand, would add his 1c worth), would impugn my motives and put me on their little "lists". I predicted as much.

Thus to state that I am posting here to promote myself is ludicrous...particularly since the people who make this accusation are the same people putting me on their "list". I posted knowing full well that a bunch of people would react by telling me they wouldn't book a hunt with me. To them, I say, "you're welcome". I don't like dealing with small-minded people. Get it?

I am glad to see that this publicity has finally brought the gentlemen concerned to offer some real restitution, and I feel good that I played a small part in getting them to that point. While a vague offer was apparently made in the past, it is now a concrete commitment made in public.

And a special word for you, Vinny, you should take some of your own advice.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Not sure why they picked me, perhaps they figured out that I actually knew a thing or two about Zim...
up to the last "oops" regarding a warthog that was omitted from the new paperwork. I have to say, this too sounds fishy as warthogs are not governed by CITES.

Warthog are governed by CITES in Zim Russ, so are Impala, Baboon, Elephant and Duiker. All animals in Zim are CITES animals.

I figure a guy who "actually knew a thing or two about Zim" might know that.

As for the rest of your post ... Give me a break. Roll Eyes

If I actually thought you were here to help, I would cut you some slack. That doesn't seem to be the case.

You are throwing gas on the fire. Nurturing the theory that Dudley and I are in cahoots to delay or destroy the Adams trophies. Insinuations of threats, accusations of lies and deceit. Give me a break!

If you want to help, stop proposing ridiculous conspiracy theories.

posted Hide Post
Mr. Manion:

I can only speak the truth and you may think that my creditability does not have merit, however, why would I come on this forum to not tell the truth?

The problem with our shipment is one screw up after another which we have never denied this. But when you get continious e-mails promising that your trophies would be shipped 4to 6 weeks, a normal person would expect their trophies. Still 28 months later that would be 2years 4 months no trophies.

Yes, I perceived Wendell's e-mail to me as a threat. Which stated, Keep your mouth shut, don't have this printed in the Hunting Report or you will not get your trophies.

The other threat was through Don Causey who stated that we need to keep our mouths shut and give them more time or we would be serious jeapardy of not ever seeing our trophies.

Today I received an e-mail from Dudley Rogers. In today's e-mail was the first that we had heard from him about the "Free Elephant Hunt". He had never offered this Elephant Hunt to us in writing or verbally over the phone. It was said in jest by Wendell over the phone to me, never to my husband. Which he also stated, don't worry you will get your trophies.

If you had been to Africa before like we have you would know that getting trophies back for outfitters are part of the routine hunt.

Mr. Mainion,

You obviously have made up your mind of who is creditable and who is not so it appears that you are saying that I am not and just trying to stir the pot.

If you give me your private e-mail address I will send you all the factual details and e-mails that I have concerning this nightmare of trying to get our trophies back.

Linda Adams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive just received a buff trophy that i shot in june 2006 from zambia.It was pritty crappy waiting over two years for my trophies.The worst thing is they also sent my trophy two me in two crates.The cape in the one the horns in another and they want me to pay for both.I think when you have saved for a long time to forfill a dream and you cant wait to get your trophies back and you have to wait such a long time you are going to get upset.

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmara:
Ive just received a buff trophy that i shot in june 2006 from zambia.It was pritty crappy waiting over two years for my trophies.The worst thing is they also sent my trophy two me in two crates.The cape in the one the horns in another and they want me to pay for both.I think when you have saved for a long time to forfill a dream and you cant wait to get your trophies back and you have to wait such a long time you are going to get upset.

Was that the buff with the funny eyes and ears.... rotflmo enjoy Dubai, speak when you get back

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Adams:

Thank you for your reply. My observations were based on what was posted in May of this year and what had been discussed on this thread.

As I stated, I certainly understand your frustration, and I hope that you see your trophies soon.

Russ, Russ, Russ...you are so.... emotional! Your motives are very clear, so there is no real need to impugn them. You do revel in ridicule, and believe in your own small mind that you are superior to the mere mortals who post here. You even managed to badger me with a message where you ranted about having a degree from MIT. My, My! A guy with an MIT degree ending up selling sporting goods. You were obviously at the top of your class!

Of course, you are indeed the authority when it comes to customer service. As I recall, you sold a rifle case to some member here, and decided after the sale to use it to ship a rifle to another one of your customers, before it was delivered to the purchaser. And when the case was damaged, you blamed the buyer!

Like I said before, I pity your poor dog.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MY APOLOGIES TO WENDELL REICH!!!

I have been PM'ing with Wendell, and have had the equivalent of a Masters Degree om Africa and how things work there. I had the naive notion that when you left the country all of your trophies would be following you shortly. I now know that in Zim, if you have them within a year you are lucky. With that in mind, I would book with Wendell if I went to Zim in the future.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote