THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles
Page 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 69

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I put one of the Bushnells on Orgs rifle, Marlin 50 B&M AK... It did great on it, and I gave it a pretty good wringing out on that. It worked pretty good, so I put one on the Marlin I have here, and its been fine so far... I don't change the reticles much, as I like that circle Dot reticle.

I got in touch with Brent about the stocks, and made a little change, I am leaving the black rubberized panels Black, and not camo. On both, the Snow and the Brown. Mainly because the camo makes them slicker, so they are going to be two tone stocks with the black panels remaining black... Actually, I think its going to look pretty spiffy! Can't wait to get them back, really like that stuff....

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coyote,
Dustin paints the stocks, or whatever a person is dippping. Then dips the film on. So the film is bascislly transparent and the painted color blees thru. So he did tape of the insets and then paint, then dip.

quote:
Originally posted by coyote wacker:
The brown in sets on green camo is not a easy to do with the dipping process. I have never seen it done before.
Did they remove the panels to do it ?

Michael,
If you change Cross Hairs dots does it change point of impact.

I had a Sight Mark brand multi Cross Hairs red dot sight given to me to try out, what a POS. If it was sighted in with one cross hair and you changed it to a different one. It would move up to 8" at 50 yards. There was not a good positive lock when changing cross hairs.

I'am giving a Bushnell Trophy 1x 28mm Multi-Reticle model #730135 a work out on my Benelli M-4 with slugs and buckshot, shooting tactical 3 gun competition. With 500 + rounds in a 7.5 lb. 12 ga. I will see if can make 1000 rounds.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Michael-

Good to know the Bushnell held-up. You know I'm a big fan of the circle-dot reticle - fastest I've ever used, either for sport hunting or CQB - so it won't be turned on mine either.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
coyote wacker-

I've just mounted the same Bushnell in QRWs on my .458B&M in prep for my upcoming Ele hunt in June. Primary rifle will be a DR in 500NE with a Burris FastFireIII red dot. The 458B&M with the Bushnell red-dot will serve as backup for Ele, shooting BBW#13 450gr solids should one of our DRs go down, and will be the primary PG rifle with a Leupold 1.5-5x shooting 250gr tipped NonCons.

I plan to zero the Bushnell beginning next week, so am interested in your experience under recoil.

BTW, Michael had one of these Bushnell Trophy multi-reticle re-dots on a lever gun, but I'm not sure if he ever really wrung it out on a large bore.

Mike,
I put 55 rounds of 9 pellet OO buck and 525 gr. Lyman slugs yesterday through my Benelli M-4. At 50 yards it still shot a 3" group, off hand. It has not changed in over 550 rounds.

I would guess the recoil is close to my 50 B&M SS.

Posts: 427 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I made a change today on my lever gun..... I loved the little small bushnell dot, but the thing is, I am not seeing the actual dot good enough to be consistent. Glasses or no glasses I am seeing more of a long line, and not a dot, and having a difficult time being as consistent as I would like to be, from day to day.

So, little dot came off.... Bigger Ultra Dot, that was on the 475 you see photos of, is now on the lever gun. Using the Circle and Dot on that one, same as the Bushnell Trophy, I am more able to define the center dot, with glasses or no glasses. The dot in the center is actually ROUND, and I can see it. Now, over the next few days I will be "Trying to SEE" if I can be consistent with that.

Yes, it is in no way traditional to a lever gun, but I am not that traditional anyway, I will always, let me repeat.... ALWAYS do what is required for the mission at hand, tradition be damned!

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, it is in no way traditional to a lever gun, but I am not that traditional anyway, I will always, let me repeat.... ALWAYS do what is required for the mission at hand, tradition be damned!

Michael

Which is exactly why I put a red-dot on my 500NE DR! Heh-Heh!

coyote wacker - Good info on recoil adaptability. Thanks, and I agree very similar recoil.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a really tough time with the red dots, they are always blury to me. I've had my eyes checked and they are aperantly fine. I'm going to try the Trigicon RMR green triangle, and use the tip of the triangle for point of aim. It has 75 moa of adjustment so it should work.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double BC:
I have a really tough time with the red dots, they are always blury to me. I've had my eyes checked and they are aperantly fine.

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been busy shooting this lever gun about every day working with the Ultra Dot.... And one of my Leupold Scout Scopes..... Guess which one I am able to shoot the best?

As mentioned the little single DOT, turns into a Line for me after about a second of looking, the longer it stays in front of my eye, then it starts to glare more left and right. At 50 yds, one group would be about 1 to 1.5 inches left, next group would be right.... All because of what I was seeing at that moment. Now, this happens not just with that little Bushnell Dot, but my more expensive Aimpoints too, so its not quality... Its my eyes..... So I removed the little Bushnell from the Lever gun, replaced it with the bigger UltraDot, and Circle Dot.... Center dot is about 8 MOA, much bigger and it stays a round dot, so I am able to shoot it better, as my eyes see that more consistently.

While I am in no way a "Precision" shooter, not even close, but I get these bugs in my ass that nag at me. No, I am not able to shoot any red dot as well as I can a scope, which make sense, there is no magnification in the dots, dots are big, cover more target at 50 yds, and much harder to see and be 100% consistent. MORE Than good enough to hunt buffalo with however. My "Logical" mind tells me that so what, if I sometimes shoot 3 in a hole, or sometimes 3 in an inch or so, if I put the dot on a buffalo shoulder at 50 yards the bullet is going to hit where I want.. But because I cannot consistently shoot smaller groups with the dot, this puts a bug in my ass that I have a hard time shaking.... I have now put on the Leupold Scout Scope, and the rifle is shooting damn good, consistent, 3 in a hole, and I am very satisfied with the results of the shooting, rifle, load, bullets chosen, and everything else.

SO... What the hell is the problem now? Well, Scout Scopes mounted forward have HORRIBLE field of view at close range, 10 yds and in... HORRIBLE.... 25 and out, its ok. I like a LOT of field of view, and Scout Scopes don't have that... So now, I have that bug in my ass!

The other day Sam and I were messing around with this dot thing. At least 5+ years ago, I got a bunch of things in a trade with another fellow. I just happened to look through some of this junk, and found this Bushnell red dot thing... I had never even looked at it, and forgot I had it. Both Sam and I love the reticle in this thing... Two Horizontal lines, one vertical line below, and small 2 moa dot in the center. Very clear, very precise, and I thought I could really shoot this pretty easy. Man, it is ugly, and it is even more ugly on the rifle... In fact, it was SO UGLY on my rifle, I actually contemplated if I could use it, and I did shoot a buffalo with it, that I was going to take it off my rifle for the photos! I remember a thread on that not so long ago, and would have never even thought of such a thing, but there is no way I would take a photo of my rifle with this thing on it........

Well, I put it on my rifle, and it looked HORRIBLE.... UGLY... But wow, that reticle was great.... I started sighting in at 25, and it went well. Shot 3 rounds at 25, moved to 50 yds. Shot 6 at 50 yds, and seemed the 2 shot groups were moving lower, and to the right????? Hmmmmmmm????? I moved back to 25 yards to confirm... And yes it did. I moved to center the shot, and it went a foot off to the right????? OK, that made no sense, moved again, and it went to CENTER..... The next shot went a foot to the left, and took out one side of my shades on the chronograph.....

Well, needless to say, that was the last shot, as the thing would not hold zero, or POI from shot to shot. Seems that after about 6-8 rounds it started going nuts. Now, I am not sure if that would be the case with new ones of this make or not, I have no idea how this one was treated or anything about it, it could have been broken before I used it for all I know.... But this one would not work on my rifle, so it is out of the running, just as well, its too damned ugly to have on my gun anyway... But damn nice reticle....

Today, this is what my rifle looks like with the Leupold Scout Scope on it...... This coming week I will remove it and start shooting the UltraDot and hopefully gain some confidence with it.

This is what I want and expect.............

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Michael - PM inbound to you.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
The problem we have with a distorted dot is called "Astigmatism". I found this on the UltraDot sight in one of their documents, and I believe this is the cause of the distorted dot for me anyway......

quote:
"Poor dot quality usually indicates an astigmatism problem. Even with 20/20 vision, you may still have astigmatism. Glasses will also cause problems with the dots clarity and shape. Try different powered glasses to determine if this is what is causing imaging problems. A simple test to see if the problem is with the sight or your vision is to rotate the sight while looking through it. If the distortion doesn’t move with the rotation, than the error is not caused by the lens itself. Incorrect brightness settings will also cause the dot to flare. Always start with the lowest brightness setting first and then turn up until you reach the desired level of brightness and a clear shape. If it starts to distort, turn the knob back down. Please bear in mind, multiple dots, poor dot clarity or irregular shaped dots are rarely caused by the sight itself. The majority of issues of this nature are caused by: Poor user vision, glasses, readers, bifocals, trifocals or incorrect brightness settings. The dot is formed by an LED shining through an aperture onto a mirror; the mirror passes everything but the red light. There are no wearing parts that would change the dot. If your sights red dot looked good when you first bought it, than it should be the same even after years of service. The changing variable is user vision. This is not unique to Ultradot. All optics manufacturers are faced with this same problem and nearly all of them will make similar statements about user vision".

It seems.... That the smaller the dot... 2-3-4 MOA the more problem I have with distortion, larger dot it seems to not be as bad.

Like I said, I see a distorted dot within a second or two regardless of the model, Aimpoint, Bushnell, whatever.... The CircleDot on the Ultra or Bushnell Trophy seems to be the best for me, the center dot does not distort, but it is also large, 8 MOA I think.....

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
As some know, I really like the Single Shots, especially 1885s. While I have an 1885 in 416, 458, and 50 B&M, I had not bothered to do one in 50 B&M Alaskan, which is a natural for the singles shots, being a rimmed case. I had a couple of 45/70s laying around, a 1885, and a Ruger #1. This 1885 was one of the 2002 NRA guns, I did not need another 45/70, so it is now a 50 B&M Alaskan........... 22 inch barrel, yes, I know, little long for me, but the length of the forend dictated that proper aesthetics 22 inches would look the best. Only a tiny bit of testing so far, 405 Solid to sight the rifle in, same load in M71 18 inches at 2110-2120 does 2175 or so in the longer 22 inch barrel, roughly 12-15 fps per inch of barrel. Not much, but 22 was not done to gain fps anyway, and about what was expected.

Hoping to have the #1 this week, with its forend I went with a 20 inch barrel for aesthetics.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Oh man, I just got my new double rig back from Henry Yesterday, and had to show you guys..... I have had several rigs built over the years, even one from Galco, and nothing compares to this........

Of course the holsters are Elephant, and lacing is cape buffalo. When Henry (on his own) came up with the lacing for the B&M rifle Slings, I fell in love with that design, and have incorporated it into a lot of different work I have from Henry......

You guys that have your own leather to work with, Henry is an artist, if you can imagine it, Henry can make it real. It is the best leather work I have ever laid eyes on............

For my Concealed Carry I have always used the "Askins Avenger" style rig. In the early days from Bianchi for full size 1911s. For a few years now I have been using a Galco for the shorter guns, and for years I have been carrying various Kimber Ultras. I sent Henry my Galco Avenger. He copied it exactly for my personal use, right and left hand versions. Added his own special touches as you can see. Holsters, belt and mag pouches are just incredible workmanship.....

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
WOW...Very awesome rig...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one sharp rig !

Its way to nice to hide for concealed carry. In Michigan we can open carry.

Are those mastodon ivory grips ?

Posts: 427 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's one sharp rig !

Its way to nice to hide for concealed carry. In Michigan we can open carry.

Are those mastodon ivory grips ?

Thanks Jim... Coyote... Yep, Mammoth Ivory.......

I think SC is going to pass Open Carry as well...

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok guys-

I should be getting my 416 B&M back in a couple of weeks--

I really want to work with the new CEB 225 gr NON-CON--

I cant find any H-4198--if you know where I can purchase a pound or 2 please let me know-

thanks

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
ok guys-

I should be getting my 416 B&M back in a couple of weeks--

I really want to work with the new CEB 225 gr NON-CON--

I cant find any H-4198--if you know where I can purchase a pound or 2 please let me know-

thanks

Cross

I also tested RL 10X and RL 7 too with the 225, near same results... I like H-4198 for these however best of all.........

I will look around for some powder for you...

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael, just got a e-mail from cutting edge they told me they got the new raptors in so I will pick some up, they told me they have two one comes with tip in it the other you can place tip in it? which one is better or are they the same, I think he said one was 230 grain and the other 235 grain. I know you can clean this up for me. also just had a black bear come on my back deck, my dog was sleeping in my truck and I heard her barking I though just another deer well I come around corner the and there is the bear, they can get real testy this time of year as they wake up hungry and pissed off,Kev

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Kev

Yes, as I understand. This new bullet will be more of a boat tail bullet, not a #13 solid as base. Tip installed already. I don't think there will be any issues with it being stable... But a few weeks ago Dan and I were talking about this same bullet at 220-225 grs. For myself and normal hunting ranges I personally would rather it be a straight flat base bullet.

The 230 Raptor was original #13 both ends, noncon/solid. 230 was on borderline stability, some yes, some not. The ESP Raptor is a funny little BITCH... With both ends being #13 nose profiles it actually adds to instability, needs a fast twist, and has to be light for caliber...... These bullets don't follow normal stability rules of thumb! Performance... Well, once stable, they are wicked just like all NonCons, and out perform their weight by extremes.

Personally I like a straight flat base NonCon the very best.. Zero issues with stability, tip added, plenty of BC for normal hunting situations. If one needs more BC, go to one of the other types of bullets for that.

Kev... Did you see the bear video that Ross10 put up? Bear with a .510 350 NoNCon...

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Off topic - sorry

Sure hope all of our Texas buddies had safe passage of the thunderstorms and tornados yesterday!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael no I have seen video, I see he has loaded the bullet very fast as you know out of a 50 Alaskan it would only be around 2100 fps . So I am not sure it would do the same damage? Kev

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kev5000:
Michael no I have seen video, I see he has loaded the bullet very fast as you know out of a 50 Alaskan it would only be around 2100 fps . So I am not sure it would do the same damage? Kev

Correct..... More velocity, more everything with these... But I can promise you, if I was in bear country with a 50 Alaskan, that 350 NonCon is what I would be loaded with. At 2100 fps it will out perform all the other bullets available for 510 Alaskan........ It would be my choice hands down, no questions about it......

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael got another e-mail about the new raptors the extended raptor 235 grain in 375 . What do you think I could load the FPS too, I am thinking around 2900 FPS, does that sound right to you ? If so that would make the 375 a long range killing machine.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kev5000:
Michael got another e-mail about the new raptors the extended raptor 235 grain in 375 . What do you think I could load the FPS too, I am thinking around 2900 FPS, does that sound right to you ? If so that would make the 375 a long range killing machine.

Kev

2900 fps should not be an issue... I have that computer shut down now, but will look at what I was doing with the ESP in your rifle tomorrow....

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be great 2900 fps would make it along range hunting rifle and have hitting power also. Which brings me to another question for you, please do some testing with the new raptors vs. ttsx or tsx, would love to see how the 230 compares to the 270 tsx in penetration and wound channel as that is a good bullet for hunting plain and maybe DG. And you have lab technicians , I do not . One thing about your technicians they all look the same almost like they are one person ?

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing about your technicians they all look the same almost like they are one person ?

Damned CLONES...........
hilbily

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
The last couple of days Wes at Accurate Innovations sent some photos of some stocks they were doing for some of the B&M guys... Thought I would share these with you as well.......

This first one is a stick of Myrtle they had on hand, and is going to work on a 458 B&M...........

That is a fine stick of wood..........................

These are going to my buddy in Australia... I THINK????

One is Myrtle, not sure what the other is... More good sticks.........

Michael

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Nice natural cammo lol. That Myrtle will blend in well with dried grass.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27606 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with boom stick. Colorado's eastern plains are about that color with the drought we're experiencing. By the way Mike, if you have a varminter that color, I'll take you out after prairie dogs.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Max

Too bad, all my rat guns are synthetic, I can't justify spending much money on rat guns, although I do enjoy shooting prairie rats a lot. Have not had time the last few years to make a rat shooting trip however....

Those are two mighty fine sticks of myrtle. My first myrtle was on the first 500 MDM... It was done prior to Accurate Innovations move to North Carolina. It turned a dirty brown on it, I think the boys in South Dakota did not prep it correctly. Wes has it now, and has refinished it for me, I am very excited to see it return. Since, I have taken that rifle, cut the barrel down to 19 inches, put a black matte gunkote finish on it. My myrtle stick is very nice, but its not in the same class as these two sticks.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW......... that myrtle is a neat piece of wood. I can only imagine the 3D of the grain in person.
The third picture down near the action the grain on it looks like a knife I have with musk ox horn handle.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
More Stocks........................

I just received some new Camo Stocks from Virginia Hydro Designs..... I will include website for these
folks should you guys want to take a look at the last post, I have a few to show off.....

The first ones were very "Slick"... Absolutely workable, easy, but I hated loosing the "Texture" of the rubber inserts on the Winchester Ultimate Stocks..... Virginia Hydro had a solution for that, and the new stocks are very good, and have maintained most of that texture... So I am very pleased with them....

Now I will let you guess who's rifle this is............?????????????

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
This is a Win M70 458 B&M with 19 inch barrel, matte black gunkote finish..... Actually one I have on the B&M site to sell, along with a laminated stock.

My gunkote finish 475 B&M is at SSK right now, and my 458 B&M gunkote 18 inch gun is in a very nice Accurate Innovations stock, and going to Africa in 3 weeks or so... SO I put one of the Tan Desert Camos on this gun, and it really looks better than the photos suggest...... The Tan and matte black go very nice I think........

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
My FAVORITE ALASKAN RIFLE....... Stainless 18 inch 458 B&M... I replaced the Snow Camo that was on it, and this is a new one that still maintains some texture. I also had the Nikon 1x4 and rings done in Snow Camo... This rifle is set up now for Alaska. I sighted in today, and shooting the 250 #13 NoNCon HP with tip, at 2900 fps, 3/4 inch high dead center at 50 yds..... Pretty much dead on or close enough out to 200 yards and that is further than I am going to shoot anything anyway....... Can't even see that far, so don't need to be shooting that far! 3 rds in the same hole at 50.....

I really love this rifle..........

For B&M guys I had 16 or so of these stocks done, 1/2 in Desert Tan and the other 1/2 in Snow.... If you want one, I have them. I am sending up 5 more stocks next week, all for the Super Shorts, 3 of them spoken for and going to Australia to Daryl, and two are mine, all getting Desert Tan. If you want to get Virginia Hydro to do some work for you, visit them on this website and get the info there;
I am very happy with them, and I am sure you will be too. By the way, you can get anything you want, does not have to be tan or snow, or even pink.... I think these folks can do about anything......

http://www.virginiahydrodesigns.com/index.html

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
More Stocks........................

I just received some new Camo Stocks from Virginia Hydro Designs..... I will include website for these
folks should you guys want to take a look at the last post, I have a few to show off.....

The first ones were very "Slick"... Absolutely workable, easy, but I hated loosing the "Texture" of the rubber inserts on the Winchester Ultimate Stocks..... Virginia Hydro had a solution for that, and the new stocks are very good, and have maintained most of that texture... So I am very pleased with them....

Now I will let you guess who's rifle this is............?????????????

Mercedes perhaps... Wink

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Cappy..... 100% Spot On... In fact, I have to show here this morning....

Sam.... I have the 500 MDM form dies that you made for me all sorted out. I have been making
some 500 MDM yesterday afternoon and this morning and I think I have it now where I can load
presentable ammo with them alone.... I know you made two sets of those?? In my mess of late
I am missing one, has to be there?

Brent.... Some load data update. Busy on the range and Pressure trace this morning with the
335 #13 HP seat deep, use tip... RL 7 Powder.... Update.. We had only been using H-4198 with this
bullet, running around 2850-2875 steady, at 60000 PSI....

Since I was messing with the new formed brass then decided to try some RL 7 with this bullet, since
some of us might be short on H-4198.. Namely Brent. Found out, I kinda like the RL 7 better than the
H-4198 with this bullet. Started at a low of 94/RL 7 for 2700 fps and 50000 PSI. Going to 100/RL 7 which is right now my favorite spot for this bullet/powder combo, give a very nice 2862 fps and 57244 PSI. This is equal to the 96/H-4198 for 2850+ at 60000 PSI... Going to 102/RL 7 gave some mixed results and not much gain 2880 fps-60084 PSI..... 103/RL 7 2910 fps 60672 PSI a pretty tight load at 103/RL 7. Going to 104/RL 7 was not nice..... 2950 fps 64226 PSI and the rifle started talking back to me, getting a little sticky...... Tells me the PT is dead on the money here... Combine what the PT says, and how the rifle speaks to you! Spot on the money..........

I like 100-103 RL 7 with the 335 #13 HP... Giving 2860-2910 fps and well under Max Pressures 57244 PSI to 60672 PSI....

You see, Lab work continues... Just as always.......... Sometimes, just not much to report.....

This week I have worked with 458 B&M, 500 MDM, 45 Colt in a Win M94, and a few other things of no note.

Later

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 9.3 B&M arrived from SSK Ind. yesterday as what can be expected from them perfect fit and finish. I'am sure it will be just is accurate as my 50 B&M Super Short.

Sat down today and cut 100 Remington 300 RUM cases sized them to a little resistances when closing the bolt. I'am glad that I have several pounds of IMR 4320 from when I had a 350 Rem.Mag. and Reloader 15 from when I had one of those dreaded 375 H&H's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Yep you have two sets of 500 MDM form dies somewhere. One set was in an RCBS green die box. You were going to send one set to someone, maybe you sent them out already.
Glad you got them working.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 9.3 B&M arrived from SSK Ind. yesterday as what can be expected from them perfect fit and finish. I'am sure it will be just is accurate as my 50 B&M Super Short.

Sat down today and cut 100 Remington 300 RUM cases sized them to a little resistances when closing the bolt. I'am glad that I have several pounds of IMR 4320 from when I had a 350 Rem.Mag. and Reloader 15 from when I had one of those dreaded 375 H&H's.

Coyote

Excellent.... Photos???

I have been shooting the IMR 4320, full length sizing NEW BRASS... and have not had any issues. IMR 4320 and RL 15.... The only two powders needed in that case/caliber. Nice little mediums.

Sam

Found the forming dies! I had bagged, tagged, and hung them up so I would not forget where they were! HEH HEH......

I have to do some more now, but it looks really good so far. Also, was afraid I might have some issues with separation with them, but not the case. I have 5 that I have fired now 7-8 times, no problems. If they don't show problems after 3 firings, there is not going to be a problem. What I have set up now is great... Many thanks... You Da man........

M

one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael, what is the story on the sight base mounted to the front ring on Mercedes' rifle?

That is exactly what I have been looking for to mount a Trijicon RDS on my 500 B&M.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote