THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416, 458, 470, and 500 AR - the line of AR rounds - dialup warning
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416, 458, 470, and 500 AR - the line of AR rounds - dialup warning Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the above. Very cool and excellent work! clap

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
Soon my 500 AR will be finished. Just awaiting some custom bottom metal for the Ruger Hawkeye, so I`ll be able to have 3+1 capacity Smiler
Will have an Accurate Innovations laminate stock
Border barrel , 21" with 1-10" twist, QPQ treated
No scope - just a peep sight.. Should be under 8 Ibs
Any update on the custom bottom metal?

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim - no not yet Confused
Hope it will arrive very soon. As soon as I have news, I will let you know. And post some photos as well..

Ulrik

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ulrik... It's most definately a pita when things take to long!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clintsfolly:
Went to a Michagan area meet-shoot today. every one that wanted to shoot my 458AccRel got to. all of them shot it would turn and say it don't kick just push you. i haven;t counted but i think we shoot 40rd out of it. Thanks Jeffe for a great rd and all your help. Clint

Clint, Jeff, anybody feel free to chime in here.

I need a new project. I have a 500 Jeffery so I know what the recoil of that cartridge is. I also have a .470 NE and a 450 Dakota and a .500/416...well, you get the idea. All of these guns are heavy, 10 lbs plus and still produce significant recoil. I was thinking about picking up a stainless Ruger and building a 470 AR which I think is Jeff's favorite but I am really concerned about the recoil in such a light gun. Talk to me!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
You can make the 470 AR in the same platform as the 500 Accrel. I have shot both and love them. The 470 does kick less but I thought the 500 was quite shootable at a sub 9 lb. gun. I think you will want both but maybe start with the 470 since you already have a 500 Jeffery. I think you will find a 8.5 LB 470 accrel will kick less than your 470 NE due to stock design and less powder needed.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Dave,
thanks for thinking of me..

i've compared the 470 AccRel HEAD TO HEAD with the 470 NE .. all loads in the accrel had les FELT recoil than the NE.. and weighed #s lighter.

the recoil aint hard, as compared to some others.. and in a light gun, you'll need to be more concerned with eye relief than recoil .. its not magic.. they still kick...

however, i've had people tell me i was joking on vels after they fired the guns... and i invite them to move over and shoot over the chrono .. and then jaws drop...

the 458 is the most practical of the 40s.. the 470 is the coolest.. NO ONE has a guidegun in .475 (that didn't see mr turnbull first) .. and the 500 is just cool!

here's my thoughts...
get your stainless ruger... send it over to mcgowen and have them put the LIGHTEST 23" tube they will on it, with the CZ rear sight and "knuckle" for a recoil lug ... target crown, and do the feeding.. i might ask them to matte blast it... but it would get spray paint when it got home to me, so that part doesn't matter as much.

get a rifle basix trigger.. and a good stock .. the cz profile barrels are thinner at the main taper junciton than rugers... you might could get them to dup that part of the profile....

solder on a NECG barrel band and front sight.. paint it up.. and done...

notice i didn't mention caliber? ... i can make whatever available to them ... they have the 500 right now.

sounds like you are on the cusp of the 470 or 500 ... and already have a 500 bolt gun ... imagine getting jeffe ballastics with 40 gr less powder!

so, do the 470 .. call hornady and order a set of dies... call midway and order some 375 rum cases, 470 AccRel cases, and a PILE of 400gr speer "gold dot" now deep curl 400 grn bullets... these are PLATED .035 thick... TOUGH...

thanks again
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShortandFat:
Hey Jeffe

He's my two

Download the reference and use it

1st
458 AccRel,
Ruger Hawkeye action and Factory Walnut stock Limbsaver & SAKO crossbolts
Barrel - 5.5 profile 24 inch
Scope 2.5 - 8 x 36 VX III

2nd
500 AccRel
M77 Ruger Mark 2,
Boyds JRS Laminate stock Limbsaver kickpad & SAKO crossbolts
Barrel - Pacnor Varmiter Sendero profile 25 inch
Scope - Leupold 2.5 Compact also NECG Rear Peep and front sight)

Best regards
Joe aka Short and Fat
Australia
Nice looking rifles chambered for some good cartridges.The only thing missing are good open sights.I like the barrel profile on the bottom one better but prefer the stock on the top one.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Jeff:

PM sent.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Dave,
replied .. i've warned EVERYONE building an AccRel to go lighter than they wanted.. and 23" is more than enough barrel ... some listen.. all understood after the first 50 rounds...

i may need to get the boyds classic (was JRS) for my 500
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A rebored 416 Ruger Alaskan to 500 Accrel would be sweet IMHO
Add a Duanne floor plate for three down.
People might think Jeffe's last name is Accrel Wink

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
A rebored 416 Ruger Alaskan to 500 Accrel would be sweet IMHO
People might think Jeffe's last name is Accrel Wink

boomstick,

did you really mean rebored instead of rebarrelled? What are the pros and cons, and what are the savings?
I've been told that reboring requires 'cut' rifling and may add barrel stress.
Also, if one started with a 20" barrel, I would imagine that a finished rebore would need some of the muzzle cut off, so one would end up with less than 20".

I'm still trying to plan out how to add one rifle to my one-rifle hunting.

Tanzan

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is there a "Rigby" type floorplate being made for Rugers now?

Posts: 522 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, so no one makes extended floor plates for Rugers. Lets get some made, PM me if you are interested!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
With a good floor-plate for Rigby based carts available for the Standard size Ruger I think that would be a good selling point for more 500 Accrels. Not to mention getting more rounds down for other carts like the 375 Ruger ect. Keep us posted. What did you have in mind design and materials wise?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What did you have in mind design and materials wise?

Other then keeping the original stocks, truthfully I have no idea. All input is appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I would post a thread in the gunsmithing forum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
<grin!!>

I have to chuckle at you hard core big bore fellas. I had my .458 AR built with a 22" Douglas silhouette profile barrel. Used a cheap Fajen's synthetic stock on the thing ... so it isn't pretty at all.

With a 1.8-5.5x Zeiss Conquest sitting on custom double square bridge-like mounts the rifle came in at just under 10 pounds. May be a little heavy for the hardcore fellas ... but it's just about right for me!

A 500 gr Woodleigh at over 2300 fps is still pretty exciting Big Grin

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
So I loaded up some M17 606gr tracer bullets backwards and headed out to my private range on sunday. With 85gr of WC844 they (4 shots) averaged 2001 fps. Funny thing was they weren't stable even in my 10 twist at 100 yards. Even worse, somehow one of the tracers ingnited and almost burned the ranch down. So I DO NOT recommend shooting these. I thought this would be a cheap alternative to convential 50 cal bullets but it almost ended up costing me a lot more. I'll stick to cast bullets for the time being.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rifle turned out nice, Peyton!

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a thread in the gunsmithing forum about this. A prototype 3 down pocket / coffin plate is being made now for the Ruger MKII in .470AR. Once pictures are available I will post them there. I have had an offer for .470AR dummy rounds and expect they should be inbound to me soon. Is there anyone who could provide 3 .500AR dummy rounds, and anyone who could provide 3 either .375 or .416 Ruger (as they have the same parent case blank) dummy rounds to check depth? Please PM me and I will give you may address. It would be nice to check the required depth for all cartridges. I would be more then happy to repay shipping and will return them to you once I have finished with them.

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Jeffe

When you get the chance, check in the CUSTOM BUILT RIFLES Forum, re "Making a Ruger Stock in a duplicator".

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/9121019951

One of our Aussies mates has built a custom stock for his left handed 458 AccRel. Very talented man. He's lives in Darwin, North Austrlaia and shoots Buffalo and large pigs

I gave him instruction to turn it into a 3+1 configuration and he has a youtube clip of it feeding the 3 rounds.

So gentlemen if done correctly you dont need a coffin box to fit 3 down for the 458 and 470 AccRel

I'm sure he will have some good stories and pictures for us in the future. You might want to cut and paste some of his photos into this thread.

regards
Joe aka S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
3+1 configuration and youtube clip of it feeding the 3 rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksx4rYoQe0g

regards
Joe aka S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thanks joe!

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

regards
Joe aka S&F

Joe,
Why did he have to stroke the bolt twice to get the first one to move?
Short stroked the first one, or misfeed?
The next two rounds came out nicely.
Is the box a windowed standard Ruger box,
or is the box wider or deeper/new made?
Standard floorplate and stock, or is there some dropbelly to it?
I cannot tell from that view of the stock,
but my eyes were Eeker by the double stroke to feed the first round.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:

regards
Joe aka S&F

Joe,
Why did he have to stroke the bolt twice to get the first one to move?
Short stroked the first one, or misfeed?
The next two rounds came out nicely.
Is the box a windowed standard Ruger box,
or is the box wider or deeper/new made?
Standard floorplate and stock, or is there some dropbelly to it?
I cannot tell from that view of the stock,
but my eyes were Eeker by the double stroke to feed the first round.

RIP, you know I thought the same thing when I watched it. But if you count the number of times he pushes the bolt forward its only 3, counting the number of times he goes backward is what makes it confusing

I'd say he's split the magazine box open at the back and left it open it doesn't need to be joined, then filed the middle piece at the back of the box down either side so it sits wider in the action inletting and he made the stock inletting only a fraction wider as well., machined down the two rails on the floor plate.

All up it fits easy.

posted Hide Post
G'day all - I've been lurking occasionally here and now I have something to post about...I have a Mk X action destined to become a 458AR - thanks to Con,S+F and paz for importing the reamer/guages to Australia. Also thanks to Jeffeosso for all your efforts in making the AR series a practical option

Posts: 6 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 21 May 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thank you, sir! enjoy it. it can be loaded from capgun to elephant slayer!

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptaylor:
So I loaded up some M17 606gr tracer bullets backwards and headed out to my private range on sunday. With 85gr of WC844 they (4 shots) averaged 2001 fps. Funny thing was they weren't stable even in my 10 twist at 100 yards. Even worse, somehow one of the tracers ingnited and almost burned the ranch down. So I DO NOT recommend shooting these. I thought this would be a cheap alternative to convential 50 cal bullets but it almost ended up costing me a lot more. I'll stick to cast bullets for the time being.

Thanks for the warning, I was thinking of loading some of those 606g surplus APITs in my 500 Jeffery just for the hell of it.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got my action packaged up, the smith has my A+B barrel waiting, there's a couple of loose ends I need to sort out -
magazine box/bottom metal, it came to me as a Palma rifle in .308 with no mag box. Can anybody recommend a replacement, or could the original be used (the box has been cut off)

Open sights - I'd like to hear recommendations, I'm thinking a ghost ring sight. I learnt to shoot as a kid with open sights but haven't used them in 20 years ! I'll get a low powered scope, but want the option of being able to remove the scope and hunt with open sights.

2nd recoil lug - a must have ? Stock is a Richards laminate, got crossbolts to install.

Feeding issues - the Aussie guys have all used Rugers and a Winchester, no problems. How about the M98 builds, have you had to get any work done to get them feeding nicely ? 3 rounds down ?
Cheers
Sam

Posts: 6 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 21 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hellmansam:
I've got my action packaged up, the smith has my A+B barrel waiting, there's a couple of loose ends I need to sort out -
magazine box/bottom metal, it came to me as a Palma rifle in .308 with no mag box. Can anybody recommend a replacement, or could the original be used (the box has been cut off)

Open sights - I'd like to hear recommendations, I'm thinking a ghost ring sight. I learnt to shoot as a kid with open sights but haven't used them in 20 years ! I'll get a low powered scope, but want the option of being able to remove the scope and hunt with open sights.

2nd recoil lug - a must have ? Stock is a Richards laminate, got crossbolts to install.

Feeding issues - the Aussie guys have all used Rugers and a Winchester, no problems. How about the M98 builds, have you had to get any work done to get them feeding nicely ? 3 rounds down ?
Cheers
Sam

Sam, I'm waiting on a 500AccRel myself. As for scope, I just received a Nikon 1.65-5x36 slughunter scope and am very impressed. The eyerelief is a true 5" throughout the magnification. My Nikon Monarch 2-8's have held up well with 416 Rigbys, so I am expecting that this Nikon shotgun scope will be about perfect for a 500AccR.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
G'day all - I've been lurking occasionally here and now I have something to post about...I have a Mk X action destined to become a 458AR - thanks to Con, S+F and paz for importing the reamer/gauges to Australia. Also thanks to Jeffeosso for all your efforts in making the AR series a practical option

quote:
I've got my action packaged up, the smith has my A+B barrel waiting, there's a couple of loose ends I need to sort out - magazine box/bottom metal, it came to me as a Palma rifle in .308 with no mag box. Can anybody recommend a replacement, or could the original be used (the box has been cut off)

2nd recoil lug - a must have? Stock is a Richards laminate, got crossbolts to install.

Feeding issues - the Aussie guys have all used Rugers and a Winchester, no problems. How about the M98 builds, have you had to get any work done to get them feeding nicely? 3 rounds down?
Cheers
Sam
Sam,

You’ve made a good choice with the 458 AccRel cartridge and Mark X actions are typically good actions for use with magnum cartridges.

Bottom Metal:
Your gunsmith should be able to alter a standard (metal) Mark X bottom metal to function properly with the 458 AR cartridge…though I’m not sure if one factory cut for the 358 Norma Magnum or the 458 WinMag would be the easiest to modify – either one will need to be widened at the rear (cartridge base) and at the shoulder area for 3-down to properly stack. An alternative would be to order a box from
Duane Wiebe in the USA:
http://www.customgunandrifle.c...icle&id=23&Itemid=19
though for you it might be easier to get something out of Germany – such as from Recknagel:
http://www.recknagel.de/Joomla/

Ghost Ring Sights:
Permanent ghost ring sight – one that doesn’t attach/detach – is going to be a custom item. Here is an example that you may be able to purchase:
http://www.klstottlemyer.com/k...lemyer.com/News.html
then you’ll only need Talley rings to be on your way.

Feeding Issues:
Your gunsmith will need to work the rails to assure the cartridges feed properly from both rails and then tweek the ramp to assure nothing hangs when chambering a round. I would assure your gunsmith is fully M98 Mauser knowledgeable or I’d find a smith that is to perform this work as improperly done can ruin the receiver – though it might be salvageable for use with a larger diameter cartridge case.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
A couple guys have built 458s on 98s, including me (2 of em).. markx/daly with a legacy arms bottom metal.. not much work on the box, the ramp took a little whittling...

a ruger box, fut to fit your mauser, might work.. tack weld it to the bottom metal, if you like???

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the 458AccRel set for deer season. going to use a new load a 325gr cast GC boolit with 75gr of AA2230 lite with Fed mag primer. Hope this load is enough to put down Michigan whitetails! Will report. back Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Is there any load data, or case/chamber dimension drawings available for the sub-375 calibers? Do I send my M70 to you, or take it to my local GS for the build? salute

WHEN IN DOUBT, EMPTY THE MAGAZINE

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Curtis,
I didn't make the reamers for the sub .416 .. as the 375 ruger is close enough

which one would you like to build? I'll loan/rent you the reamer to you gunsmith..

i like McGowen, Pac-nor, and ITD for the work
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
I would like a 500 AR, but I think that this cartridge is not catalogued in Spain so it is not legal in my country. Ah¡ and I haven´t got enough money to buy other rifle Frowner .

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I found that I was Right!! The 458AccRel is just fine as a MI deer round.A big body 6pt buck 35yds in one side out the other 20yrs death charge fall over dead! Will post pic after i figure out how. Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ovny:
I would like a 500 AR, but I think that this cartridge is not catalogued in Spain so it is not legal in my country.

Oscar.

The 500 AccR is surely close to an optimum blend of bigbore diameter with high energy and reasonably flat trajectory. Basically it equals or betters the recommended loadings for 505Gibbs and 500 Jeffrey, using higher pressures and smaller capacity, of course.

It is strange to hear that a wildcat is illegal. Some countries do the opposite: if the cartridge is military, then it is illegal, otherwise it is OK.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ovny:
I would like a 500 AR, but I think that this cartridge is not catalogued in Spain so it is not legal in my country. Ah¡ and I haven´t got enough money to buy other rifle Frowner .

Oscar.
Oscar,
Does Spain require all cartridges to be CIP approved? Or does Spain maintain a separate approved listing of cartridges?

Jim coffee
John Wayne