THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416, 458, 470, and 500 AR - the line of AR rounds - dialup warning
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416, 458, 470, and 500 AR - the line of AR rounds - dialup warning Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see the 500AR under way.
Jeffe, I do recall a phone conversation a couple of years ago, when among other things you tried to convince me that a standard length Rigby case necked to .510 or even .475 would be a feeding nightmare. I think I was calling it the 12- and 13- mm Mouser or some such.
How much feeding trouble do you think a similar round in 3.10" OAL would be? I am still haunted by thoughts of a little 57mm case and a short-bbl "mini African" M70 SA.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
BB,
In a mauser, it would still be tough.. I used an enfield, and will plan on rugers, as they are WIDER .. remember, the the read end width required to stagger feed properly...its early coffee but i think it is 1.08 or close to it.. this is why i did a single stack on the 550 express...

i can load some 500 ARs to a 3.1 oal, which would give a good idea as to results.. i think probably -200fps than the 500 AR would be reasonable, or 2100 with a 600gr ..

Now, if you wanted to to a single stck, a la weatherby, you could do it, without too much trouble..

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not opposed to a single stack if it makes that much difference. I wasn't aware that Rugers were significantly wider than a Mauser or M70. Hmmm.
I'd love to see some 3.1" data if you get around to it. Even if I end up with the 470 version, I figure I could add 50fps for a given weight and call it a fair guesstimation.
Ruger's short action, is that set up for standard legnth, intermediate or short length? If it's a 3.1" action, might be the easy way to go. Thinking they did a Swede on the short action, no?

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana-be:
Ruger's short action, is that set up for standard legnth, intermediate or short length? If it's a 3.1" action, might be the easy way to go.

Bwana-be,
Ruger's short-action is a 2.9" and a bit length action. I had my Ruger 350RemMag (built on Ruger's WSM action) opened to 2.95" to accomodate Woodleigh's 310gr. S&F and my 458AR's and S&F's 500AR are all going to be fitted to Ruger standard length "magnum actions", we'll be pulling apart a 300WinMag, 338WinMag and 7mmRemMag to build our rifles.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
Just got home from the ranch. Did some chrono work.

My rifle with 22" pipe managed a 4 shot average of 2271 fps (Hi 2296 Lo 2249 Sd 20.71) with 85gr H335 and a 500gr hornady fmj, COAL = 3.35". A little slower than I thought but its an $80 short barrel so not that disapointed. No pressure signs.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
BB,
I shold get my 500 back in about 10 days to 2 weeks, and I'll short stack some then!

Peyton
Hmmm, I am getting 80FPS (than your high) in a 1" longer barrel... Sounds like we need to shoot over each other's chrony!

I don't believe you can push 2300 with a lott, in a 22" barrel, though.. its hard enough to get there with a 24" barrel

Great work Guys !
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptaylor:
No pressure signs.

Shove more fuel in then! lol Just out of interest, if you get a chance, throw a fired case back in your chamber and see whether its tight to chamber. If not ... keep filling her up!!
Our 458" barrels are now ready to go, just waiting on the barrel maker to say whether he'd like to chamber/fit them ... fun times ahead ... might need to build a standing rest in the back paddock Big Grin
Cheers...
Con

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Talked to our die man... He has been crammin for shot show.. and we won't get dies for 2 weeks, sorry

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffe,
But on a positive note ... S&F and I are packing actions. Looks like we're finally building!!!
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just got home from the ranch. Did some chrono work.

My rifle with 22" pipe managed a 4 shot average of 2271 fps (Hi 2296 Lo 2249 Sd 20.71) with 85gr H335 and a 500gr hornady fmj, COAL = 3.35". A little slower than I thought but its an $80 short barrel so not that disapointed. No pressure signs.
..................................Sounds like a real good load ....................Just too many nice rifles that need building .......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Con,
man, you guys are close.. go blast some sambar.. jeffe needs a knife handle!!

GB,
I was getting 2300+ with a 21" tube, though it is probably a worn smooth Parker barrel .. big fireball!!

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Jeff

Just wanted to let you know, I have spoken to Australian Firearms Registry today at length about registering the calibre 458AR and the 500AR

They seem to have a bit of a problem with "AR", they tend to think "Military or Assult Rifle"

So at this stage it Looks like in Australia they will be called the

458 and 500 "AccRel" or full name "Accurate Reloading"
regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
S&F,
You can have the 500GAGF, I'll have the 458HTFU ... we'll claim royalties off jeffe clap

Will they lower case it? Ignorance in action!
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Con that's why they haven't issued me a permit yet to import the 500 AR barrel out of the US from PACNOR.....I ordered it back on the 15th December

We have big problems here in Australia with anything .510, seems the BMG is in the back of everybodies mind and it is generally not accepted if you apply for a 50 cal BMG, Cheytac or Lapua in some states in Australia

They said they couldn't approve my .510 cal permit until they knew exactly what the calibre was, I had to send them Jeff's designs and assure them it was for a big game rifle and not a sniper rifle...so they could approve the calibre and design .

I'm told the 500 AR is now approved

But the name is not a definate yet, for those of you who want the AR in Australia it may be called the "AccRel" or full name "Accurate Reloading" but maybe not "AR"

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShortandFat:
We have big problems here in Australia with anything .510, seems the BMG is in the back of everybodies mind ...
regards
S&F

I told you you should have done a 550Express ... I'd have been into one of them!!
Cheers...
Con

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Wow Guys.. thanks for keeping up the good fight.

Call it the 500 AccRel and 450 AccRel ... the Bunter costs the same for AR or AccRel , so it's not worries for me. .

WhooHooo, the 500 AccRel is approved in OZ!!! .. next you lot need to get Taipan to make dirt cheap 510 bullets.

I had toyed with calling them SLAM .. Standard Length Action Magnums .. as I had heard some confusion conversations "you can't put a realy 50 on an AR" type... .. but the rounds are built in regards to Accurate Reloading!

Jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Wow Guys.. thanks for keeping up the good fight.

Call it the 500 AccRel and 450 AccRel ... the Bunter costs the same for AR or AccRel , so it's not worries for me. .

WhooHooo, the 500 AccRel is approved in OZ!!! .. next you lot need to get Taipan to make dirt cheap 510 bullets.

I had toyed with calling them SLAM .. Standard Length Action Magnums .. as I had heard some confusion conversations "you can't put a realy 50 on an AR" type... .. but the rounds are built in regards to Accurate Reloading!

Jeffe

No worries Jeffe on the 500AR, I was always going to keep up the fight. I've invested too much already to be knocked back.

My 500 AR is already booked out for an Aussie Buffalo hunt this year, probably not by me, but a friend that owns a few nitro doubles and an "original" 505 Gibbs, he will tell me what he thinks

Plenty of photos and a story there for sure,

Jeffe I just brought 100 570grain .510 projectiles from Bertrum on the weekend for .80 cents each, thats about .72 us cents, nothing special, just copper cup and round nose lead with a crimp groove

He told me he makes them in 440, 535 and 570, just great for forming cases and shooting rabbits

He says he has shot buffalo with the 570g's and they did OK, but I think I'll stick to woodlieghs when it "really counts"

regards
S&F

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just called the die man..
they should be shipping friday ...

I asked him to go ahead and send the chamber reamer and gages to pacnor! Expect them there mid next week, Joe
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
Plastic-Fantastic, this might be the ugliest stock every made but I got it cheap and I figure its tough as nails. I'll find out after this weekend if it will hold up. I'm going to try and light my cigar off my barrel.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ptaylor,
How'd my spare stock get over your way? Have you bedded it or anything? I was joking a few weeks ago with S&F that those 3 silver screws (2 up front and one through the grip) look like crossbolts to me lol. Fill the front with some epoxied lead and the hollow in the comb, and bed it good ... I'll be giving it a try as well!
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
just called the die man..
they should be shipping friday ...

I asked him to go ahead and send the chamber reamer and gages to pacnor! Expect them there mid next week, Joe
jeffe

Jeffe he can "go slow" I am still waiting for my approval to get the PACNOR barrel imported into Australia for the 500 AR, I've only just had the calibre registered and approved, after nearly 2 months, now It should only be a matter of days before I get an import approval and certificate, otherwise I'm In big trouble.

I think the problem came about because I was getting it chambered by PACNOR in the US and they didn't have record of it in Australia.

regards
S&F

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Peyton,
You need to cut the front of that barrel channel a bit ... should be closer to 1/2 of the barrel in the stock (won't work with that taper, totally, though)

ugly and mean, thats what it looks like.. sorta like the first bullcalf I ever had to wrestle!

Joe,
<crossing fingers> Best of luck with that mate!
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just got off the phone .. got "by friday" again...

<sigh>

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

I finally got my Importation of a Firearm part certificate today to bring a PACNOR Barrel chambered in the 500 AR to Australia.

It took a little over 2 months, the hicc Up I had was that I explained that the Barrel was going to be chambered in the USA

Firearm Registry in Australia didn't have record of the 500 AR so couldn't approve the permit

Any how as I mentioned above they were not too happy allowing me to get a 50 cal BMG type chambering, but after I faxed them Jeffe case specs, they realised it was a huntin round and approved the calibre

The next hicc up was with the description "AR" (Accurate Reloading) and the fellow I spoke to explained that AR might be "Too Military" or not "friendly" enough for a description so they have registered the AR seriers of Rifles as ACCREL

Actually if you say it quick it sounds OK ..."ackrell"

With all that out of the way I have been granted a permit to import a PACNOR .510 barrel, chambered in 500ACCREL no longer than 700mm (28 inches)

So here's a copy of my permit, all the personal stuff I have edited, but if you check out what I have circled you will see the desription as the 500ACCREL.

Any more Aussies out there that take on Jeffe's AR cartriges will need to call them the ACCREL in Australia

regards
S&F

One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
S&F,
I guess you didn't mention the fact that you can shoot API pull downs out of it then? Big Grin

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
500 ack-rell!!!

Awesome .. and the 458 is the 458accrel in oz too!!

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
S&F,
I guess you didn't mention the fact that you can shoot API pull downs out of it then? Big Grin

Mate ... you never volunteer information unless specifically asked animal The AccRel tag annoys me a bit personally ... but that's what needed to be done to birth the AR series in Oz.
I reckon in 6-8 weeks we'll be pounding shoulders with the 458AccRel's !! Just in time for the cooler weather too clap
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
How different would the 470 AR be from the 470 Capstick? I'm seriously considering have my 375 H&H rebarrel to the Capstick next winter. A 500g .475 caliber bullet at 2400 fps, with factory ammo and headstamped brass available.

Regards,
Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
They shoudl be close to ballistic twins ... I have a 470Capstick in a Rem700 which may lose its barrel if the 458AR is a success. I think the Rem700's are better suited to smaller, faster cartridges, so I'm contemplating rechambering its barrel and having it rethreaded for a Ruger action.
Cheers...
Con

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Chuck
the 470 AR will chunk a 500gr in a 23" barrel to 2350 before *I* say enough on pressure.. however, a 25" barrel will go over 2400. the case is slightly larger in volume than a capstick, and is a 3.35" oal round .. the 375 length action is very well suited for the capstick, and if you already have that long of an action, you are equally well suited with the capstick..

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeffeosso,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
500 AR dies
Good news!!
The dies are back from heat treater, and have been cleaned up. Hoping for them to ship out saturday... or monday.

Better news
The next batch is 65% ready, if you missed out on the first order

and for S&F - Best News
Reamers and gages are on the way to Pacnor! They actually should have arrived today!

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Pac-Nor has the 500 AR Accrel chamber dies and headspace gages!!
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The 500 Accrel dies are shipping to me TODAY!! I hope to have them by Saturday

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
HOLY M-ACCREL!!!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
URGENT

Hold everything

OK Which one of you ordered the PACNOR 20 inch 500AR barrel

Why

Because it's just been delivered to me in Australia,

Frank it's probably yours

I wanted the 28 inch Sendero Barrel, pre chambered

I'm happy to pay freight back to USA if they will let it back in

Help

regards
S&F

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
S&F, tell Pacnor to get it right. Probably not worth the hassel to send it back. Then you can have two, a handy 500 AccRel for the ute, and your long barrel version.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
After spending the whole day in tears about finally getting my barrel in the 500AR (ACCREL) delivered to me in Australia as a short 20 inch barrel when I wanted a 28 inch (i sent Penny at PACNOR an email, they must have confused me with somebody else), there was Joy at the end of the day

The Gunsmith TS ENGINEERING has finished my 458 ACCREL rebarrel on the Hawkeye action

Here's a quick pic of the barrel and the second recoil lug. PT if you think that second recoil lug looks familiar it's because I sent the gunsmith a photo of your action and barrel and said I wanted the second lug exactly like yours

Now I just have to inlet the second lug and steel bed it this weekend

Maybe shooting full loads next week

regards
S&F

one of us
posted Hide Post
S&F,
Sensational ... I only hope TSE got my #6 contour right!! I'll be over later this morning with a Dremel tool and bits for you clap
Cheers...
Con

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
458ACCREL looks GREAT!

#dumptrump

476AR,