THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416, 458, 470, and 500 AR - the line of AR rounds - dialup warning
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416, 458, 470, and 500 AR - the line of AR rounds - dialup warning Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Frank,
Glad to hear ya! When you get the dies, it's once pass to form the body, POP the fireforming load, and trimm.

If you like, pull the trigger on em all!!! The 458 will perfectly clean up a 458 winmag chamber, and if the markx is feeding ...well, with it being a markx, and the back is a little narrow, it MIGHT need a few minutes of work to make it work,... and might not.

I gimme a call tomorrow, and we'll chat on it!!

Jimmy,
your arm healing up for all that ridiclous amount of brass forming work? Sure you are up to 15 mins for 100 piece of brass?

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39565 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jimmy,
your arm healing up for all that ridiclous amount of brass forming work? Sure you are up to 15 mins for 100 piece of brass?

I think I can manage...I might need a Dr's note from Dr. Jeffe when my gun is ready though...they will be wondering where I went at work.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good concept on the Rum brass matching up.
I sort of have my heart set on my double rifle for anything that might need the .458.
Frank

Jeffe, I will be working late for a while but will call to talk it out.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Boomy,
email mississipian! btw, texas is more or less boot shaped, not square
jeffe

i did...

his has had some work and is as much as a new one...i hope he gets his price...seems worth it.

looking forward to the joys of fireforming Wink

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27606 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470 Mbogo:
Hi Jeff,
After looking at Paul's photos of the Ultra Mag case holding the .475 bullet the headspaceing shoulder looks almost non exsistent. I tried taking the 470 Mbogo up to .510 and ran into the same situation but not quite as fine. I thought it was unreliable at that point. What do you think of it. You may have to blow the case out some what to increase the shoulder dimension allowing you a larger headspace dimension. I haven't really looked at the case taper yet but keep it to .005 per inch for trliable extraction. The 416 sounds the most interesting to me. See you in a month.
Take good care,
Dave

Dave,
Here we are, at this time of year again.. though, dang it, you won't be here!

Funny how much changes in a year, with Rich doing a working (more or less) 500 mbogo and the 470 AR a nice working rifle.. and neither have headspace or shoulder set back issues... If you recall, I had the same concepts of it not working, but was assured by some folks it would be fine... So, in all honesty, the 470AR is the slickist feeding rifle I own... There has been zero headspace issues with ammo, and certainly none have setback the shoulder.

Wish you would were here to try it.!!

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not...at least not to date Jeffe. BTW, the shop has an Obendorf Mauser action (less trigger) available...any thoughts? I think about $200 or thereabouts. Also has a couple others if you are interested...? Lastly, the guy with the M30 and 1917 stuff is uspposed to be by today. Will let you know if there is anything you might want.

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 416, 458, 470, and 500 AR are now up on www.ammoguide.com

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=604
http://ammoguide.com/?catid=605
http://ammoguide.com/?catid=606
http://ammoguide.com/?catid=607

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
woo hoo! (homer voice)
could you magazine feed any bmg bullets from a converted 416 rigby or wby???

Posts: 27606 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Hmm, after two 458 lotts, I'm thinking I really need a 416 AR. I still have a couple of projects between now and then, but this thread has rekindled my need for something big, but not too big. I'm thinking 325 tsx @ 2700 should be about right for NA use.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I haven't tried any of those.. but 350s at 2575 are a breeze... and 400s at 2400+ aren't hard to do...

besides, you need to make all three... your name is on them too!! BOOM

jeffe

476AR,

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I have thought about a 470, as I've got several .475" molds. That said, I just don't get as much shooting in as I used to, and am gearing my guns towards stuff I can pick up and shoot while ignoring the recoil. The 458 Lott's taught me what I can handle when I'm shooting fairly frequently, as well as what I should avoid if I don't shoot frequently.

After having our dog wake us up early Sunday morning on our camping trip to alert us to a large black bear feeding on berries near camp, I can see the use of a light weight powerful iron sighted stopper. A 458 just has too much recoil in the weight I'd want, the 416 allows a fairly thin barrel, and with the lighter bullets is pretty controllable.

Hmm, maybe I just need a, gasp, 45-70 guide gun Red Face

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
...Hmm, maybe I just need a, gasp, 45-70 guide gun Red Face

LOL.. boomie, are you on paul's id?

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
paul...i could sell you mine wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, I thought rip invented all of these cartridges...?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Man, I thought rip invented all of these cartridges...?

Rich
DRSS
sofa

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh jeez! Boomer you quoted it! I accidently read his crap. You circumvented my ignore function.

The blowhard cannot quit fabricating about his hurt feelings over his fabrications. It is self perpetuating self-pity. He is wallowing in self-pity. What a self-centered boob.

The fact is he did an expedient, weak effort in using a .510 Wells without a belt, with a very weak shoulder, after jeffeoso and I announced plans to do the 500 Rigby, long and short as they are.

Jeffeoso's and my cartridge drawings predate, his expedient weakness, and unveiling of the "weak" beltless .510 Wells.

And many other wildcatters predate us all here. Gil Van Horn rings a bell, eh?

The Idaho Zephyr is a weak wind. The gentle, warm breeze from the west. Hot air.

If you promise not to quote him anymore, the air will be fresher.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

Swap your guide gun for a Ruger MkII 7Rem mag. Then build your 470AR.

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey RIP!

You guys might consider drawing up some new cartridges which aren't based on any existing brass or cartridge and have them made with your own headstamp. Then you wouldn't have to suffer fools here on the AR forum. All mine are Copyrighted and Patented so there are PENALTIES for interlopers.

Just a hypothetirhetoricaliberistic thought!

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
quote:

Yep. Progress would be fun to watch. Smiler I am sure the "Band of 45/70ers" allow alumni membership, especially while pursuing such a worthwhile diversion.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
Hey RIP!

You guys might consider drawing up some new catridges which aren't based on any existing brass or cartridge and have them made with your own headstamp. Then you wouldn't have to suffer fools here on the AR forum. All mine are Copyrighted and Patented so there are PENALTIES for interlopers.

Just a hypothetirhetoricaliberistic thought!

Thanks, Macifej, but I am just a poor little working stiff without the time or money for endeavors such as yours. This stuff is just for fun, by me.

.40-07 (.395 Tatanka) and .50-08 (500 Mbogo): At least one of them is distinctly original. I will have properly headstamped brass someday, even if I am the only one in the world in possession of it. That is cool too.

You have the "Seventy-Ought-Ten" sewn up.

If I ever venture into your territory it will be a "Sixty-Nought-Nine." thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By electronic decree, I hereby deed thee full title and all rights to the name "70-010" and it's cartridge as designed by Moi! for whatever purpose (comedic or otherwise) you deem useful (NOT very!)other than the killing of bears for a period not to exceed 1000 years, at which time all rights and exclusive use of said moniker and design shall revert to any living heirs of the aliens whom survived the crash at Roswell New Mexico in 1947 and now reside in France.

X__________________________________________

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

It's mine, all mine?
WinkHOO HAH!
dancing

And how will the Idaho Zephyr blow about this?
What imagined slight will this create?
Better give him one too Brother Bear Head.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If I stumbled into a Ruger 7mag I'd have to build myself a 416. That said, the guide gun as the appeal of something that works as is, I'd just need a good 400 gr WFN mold for it and I'd be set.

Simplicity has it's appeal.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd just need a good 400 gr WFN mold for it and I'd be set.

I've been using Jae-bok Young's 550gr Crater's in mine, at about 1550fps. Big Grin I think its the cat's bum as a camp rifle.

Jae-bok Young's website

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
quote:

The first rifle I bought was on lay-a-way. 50 bucks a month for 11 months. Just a suggestion boom. I'm pulling for ya'!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
quote:
I'd just need a good 400 gr WFN mold for it and I'd be set.

I've been using Jae-bok Young's 550gr Crater's in mine, at about 1550fps. Big Grin I think its the cat's bum as a camp rifle.

Jae-bok Young's website

Cheers,
Canuck

Chris,

My thoughts on cast bullets in a rifle is peek performance is with muzzle velocity of 1800-2000 fps, assuming you can get consistant exits with bullets of that weight. With a 45-70 Marlin that would be 450-400 gr bullets. From what I've heard the 45-70 will penetrate fine with bullets of that weight on soft skinned game, including the great bears. So, I can't see the advantage of the heavy pile drivers, and perhaps they give up a bit of wound channel.

Can't believe I'm finally coming around to a cowboy gun, but they definately have their place.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ah.. THIS is the thread I meant to reply on...

i just (back)ordered 40 pieces of hornady 416 rigby brass from midway... to make more 500 AR rounds from

might need to drag this to a bubba shoot!

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just an update on the "rest" of the family

to date
4x416 AR
7x458 AR
2x470 AR
1X500 AR (crash test dummy!!)

and i get more questions and folks wanting to know about them every day!

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I guess being 470 AR # 2 aint bad... Wink

One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, I think I asked this once before, but can't remember. Who is doing the chambering/work for converting a rifle to a 470 AR. I have a ruger and a mauser action looking for a home.

Posts: 163 | Location: Missouri by way of Mississippi | Registered: 19 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
lfaler
PM sent

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
just an update on the "rest" of the family

to date
4x416 AR
7x458 AR
2x470 AR
1X500 AR (crash test dummy!!)

and i get more questions and folks wanting to know about them every day!

jeffe,
The AR series is a bloody good idea that's why people enquire. Add to that the fact that Winchester 458WinMag brass is just about made of "unobtainium" locally and the 458AR starts to look very nice indeed!!
I'm awaiting a reply from Manson on a reamer/headspace guages quote ... then we'll try getting the ball rolling on bringing the 458AR Down Under. Wink
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
come on con...go with the uber snooty exclusive 470...you got good woodleigh bullets there...

one of us
posted Hide Post
boomy,
Personally it's my prefered option as I can rechamber/rethread the Capstick barrel and shift it from a Rem700 to a Ruger MkII. Otherwise sourcing a 0.475" barrel is tough, and some suppliers of bits and pieces are reportedly not sending stuff to Australia due to some changes on your side of the pond. But we'll be exploring the option to import PacNor prechambered but unthreaded barrels as an alternative to buying the reamer. Also ... the "bigbore" handgun bans over here have severely limited projectile availability ... and the 470AR aint any good if you cant shoot pistol projectiles!! It would literally be a one bullet rifle. The 458AR atleast has the option of 300gr to 550gr ... all readily available plus there would be atleast two built so we can split reamer costs. Now if I can shift some other stuff out of the safe ... well that may all change Big Grin ... and No3 is my lucky number clap
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
either one will be great...

Do we need to ship you bullets???

Cant have our fellow Ausies without plinkers now can we.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
either one will be great...

Do we need to ship you bullets???

Cant have our fellow Ausies without plinkers now can we.

Boomy,
Sending goodies like that in the mail will get us both in trouble. Local importer of Speer projectiles will bring them in if ordered ... but wont give a price!! The 458AR will do ... for now! Just waiting on Manson Big Grin
Cheers...
Con

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Con,
I'll call dave tomorrow to make sure he knows I am good with you getting these!!

i THINK i did the final shaping of the 500AR, it's blued, and i bought a sme on thievebay tonight...

the one i had had been "recontured"... oh well, it wouldn't work..

anyway... Con will have his and his mate's 458 AR makin's soon, and the 500 AR is just about ready for load dev

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
About the name;

There is a 6mmAR cartridge used in highpower match rifles that is based on the 6.5 Grendel case.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

consider Laser-Cast's 430gr TC gas checked bullet for all things 458 caliber.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Frank.
LOL, i don't think anyone would be confused.. the 6mAr (mmar? was that really a well though out name?) would drop clean down the neck of a 470, and down the barrel of the 500...

heh, now, a semi that shot them would be kinda fun, but not legal anywhere in africa to hunt with

476AR,