New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Thanks for the help with THE MISSION, and saving the page 30 starter post for me. rotflmo
So we will keep an eye on the 400 Whelen thread (28 pages currently) and put on a kick if they try to catch us.
Walk a while ...
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
RIP it just dawned on me that you have actually proven in 30 pages that all those years ago everyone who had doubts about the 458 were right all along. Wow who would have thunk ! Big Grin

The case capacity is to small so you have to McGiver it by loading long and load with light bullets faint

not bad: "to McGiver it".
That is what I lot of people do, before getting or designing a new caliber.

For example, 40-60 years ago people seemed to play more with 'freeboring'. A person could upgrade a caliber by adding freebore. Recently, Ray Atkinson in several threads seems to like a 338WinMag loaded and throated close to a 340Weatherby. The idea of a long leade rather than a parallel sided freebore might have some merit in preserving accuracy as the freebore/leade lengthens. I don't know if this was explored as much as free-boring back in the day, before my time.

We can do some interesting thought experiments down at the 30-cal level.

Think of a lightweight rifle like a Tikka. They do the 308 in their standard-length action. A person could take a Tikka in 308Win and fit it with a 30-06 magazine, adjust the bolt stop, run a throat reamer into the bore, and voila: a 308 long-COL. Great for heavier, longer bullets. It would make the 308 into a real elk gun, etc. etc.

If history were reversed and the 308 preceded the 30-06 I wouldn't be surprised if people would do something like the above. As it is, the 308 gets pretty close to the 30-06 with lighter bullets, 130-150gn, loaded to max pressures, while the factory 30-06 rounds tend to be underloaded and are SAAMI defined to lower pressure, IIRC. If the 308 preceded the 30-06, it would need to wait for a Lott-2nd to come along and design a 30-06. Of course, Winchester and Wetherby could improve on both with a magnum case, not so different from the way in which the 450Rigby and 460 Weatherby improve on both the 458Lott and 458Win by going to a bigger case-head.

So we have a pretty nice parallel in case-size and bolt-face from
308Win >> 30-06 >> 300 WinMag
parallel to
458WinM >> 458Lott >> 450Rigby (throats adjusted as desired or appropriate).

All of this takes us back to the lesson that was learned after the free-boring movement/fad of yesterday-year. Find the rifle platform that a hunter wants or can afford, and choose a caliber that does what one wants. If a person wants more power, get a bigger cartridge. If a person wants a handy rifle (just like the 308s) then a 458WinMag makes a lot of sense, they come in smaller platforms than the Lotts and Rigbys. If someone is happy with a larger platform, then the Lott and more-so the Rigby are still the caliber of choice. They do it in their sleep.

So what have I done?
I thought about a little 416Ruger. It's a sweet little platform, whether 23" African or 20" Alaskan, and a decent African caliber, the ballistic equivalent of the factory 416Rigby and 416Remmie. A 416Ruger would be lighter than carrying around a big CZ 416 Rigby or 450 Rigby. But we already hunt with a "super 416 long-COL", a hand loaded 416Rigby, 350TTSX at 2820fps. And I'm still young enough to have considered up-sizing rather than down-sizing. So imagine the 'aha' moment when I heard about putting a 50-caliber at Jeffrey-energies into a little Ruger rifle. Wow. Small-platform relative to big bores, wider bore, and as much thump as I wanted to handle. And I'm doing something quite similar to what RIP seems to want in a 458: shooting lighter monolithic bullets and turning the rifle into an awesome one-gun forest-walker.

Here is what I loaded up for Africa:
(loads are safe in a 22" barrel, Ruger Hawkeye, 500AccRel Nyati [.255" parallel freebore])

50 rounds 360gn tipper-CEB (350 lever-raptor, tipped) with 95 grains[Compressed] H4198 for 2805fps and 0.4" accuracy;
40 rounds 450gn GSC-HV with 100 grains H322 for 2605fps*;
10 rounds 400gn CEB-FN solid with 92 grains H4198 for 2690fps.

(*PS: following up from two years ago when I cracked my stock, the 450gn GSC does 2665fps with 103 grains H322 safely and accurately for 7100ft# energy, but why push it?)

So for the moment, I'm not in the market for a small-platform 458. Let's see how this 500 carries itself while I'm young. This thread has made the 458 into a future contender, but I would be going 'small-platform' and that makes the 416 Ruger, and even the 375 Ruger, to be outstanding options, especially without needing to MacGiver things.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with the 458 the way it is.
Probably 5 years ago we found the match with Accurate 2230 powder that offered results that many looked to achieve since the cartridge was developed. 500 gr bullet at ~ 2150 FPS with no compression with a lead jacketed bullet. No you cannot seat a 500 grain mono bullet or even a 500 grain spire in the case wit 72 gr of Accurate 2230 and have it fit in a standard magazine.
The cartridge is best suited with a 450 gr.
Swift ahead of 74 Gr of 2230 or a 500 gr woodleigh, Hornady DGS, or even perhaps the new Hornady bonded DGX if it pans out.
Unless hunting something that required a solid, I think the 450 swift @ close to 2300 FPS ahead of 74 gr. of 2230 is a great combination. It is an accurate combination as well.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Nothing is wrong with the 458 WM as is. That was the point of RIP's entire writings and demonstrations. He proved the point and proved beyond the point. Now one can easily have data to lay down before the naysayers if they are of a mind to use their mind. Or you and I can just go on happy and secure with our 458 WM in hand content to being better informed.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Sir Alf, Much admired by this writer so I write this delicately.
Context: This discussion is about the 458 today and tomorrow. In that Context, there is nothing wrong with the 458 WM.
In history, there is something wrong with about every cartridge of any type. Even the Great and deadly 375 H&H has it's closet with bones. It's not very big admittedly and there is only a small femur in there that looks like a Winchester bullet or two but... Smiler

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
quote:
RIP it just dawned on me that you have actually proven in 30 pages that all those years ago everyone who had doubts about the 458 were right all along. Wow who would have thunk ! Big Grin

The case capacity is to small so you have to McGiver it by loading long and load with light bullets faint

not bad: "to McGiver it".
That is what I lot of people do, before getting or designing a new caliber.

Hear here! tu2

For example, 40-60 years ago people seemed to play more with 'freeboring'. A person could upgrade a caliber by adding freebore. Recently, Ray Atkinson in several threads seems to like a 338WinMag loaded and throated close to a 340Weatherby. The idea of a long leade rather than a parallel sided freebore might have some merit in preserving accuracy as the freebore/leade lengthens. I don't know if this was explored as much as free-boring back in the day, before my time.

Don't know either, but I assume the experiments with throats like on the .458 Win.Mag. were rare.
It seems that if you gave the .458 Lott a throat like on the .458 Win.Mag.(SAAMI Minimum) but truncated the bottom of that cone by only about 0.2",
you would have a tighter start of the leade, and the leade would allow a THROAT JUMP of only 0.4725" to start of .458"-diameter rifling.
Probably about the same effect as using a .450"-long parallel-sided free-bore (of 0.0008" diameter, less than 0.001")
followed by a 1.5-degree leade.
That sort of free-bore would "Weatherby-ize" the .458 Lott.
That sort of free-bore can be super accurate, pressure-relieving, and velocity-increasing, if enough powder is added.
Just like with a .458 Win.Mag.
If one can get get a .458 Win.Mag. with a throat that is close to the SAAMI-minimum in length (rare it seems),
one would have a great rifle:
Super accurate, pressure-relieving, and velocity-increasing, if enough powder is added, and you load it just a little Longcol.
3.6" box would be excellent.
It would not get red in the face like a .458 Lott does.
tu2

We can do some interesting thought experiments down at the 30-cal level.

Think of a lightweight rifle like a Tikka. They do the 308 in their standard-length action. A person could take a Tikka in 308Win and fit it with a 30-06 magazine, adjust the bolt stop, run a throat reamer into the bore, and voila: a 308 long-COL. Great for heavier, longer bullets. It would make the 308 into a real elk gun, etc. etc.

I actually thought about doing something similar once.
My first ever bolt-action rifle was a Ruger M77 30-06. Very accurate despite the fact that the base of the chamber is oval!
Fired brass is a little bulged on one side.
I was going to have it set back and rechambered to .308 WCF and re-throated as needed
to allow use of 200-250-gr. bullets loaded long to fill the 30-06 box.
Sentimental value prevented this "improvement."
It still shoots great. I just use new, unfired brass in it, like factory ammo only for that baby.

One I did do: My 400 Whelen-Petrov-B (3.6", Longcol) arrived similarly to your scheme, from a a 3.4" 270 WCF Winchester M70 Classic donor rifle.
Pop out the spacer in the back of the magazine: Voila! 3.4" box becomes 3.6" box.
Shorten the ejector to function properly with the longer case. Voila! Ejects at the end of the longer slide of the bolt.
I only added 0.122" to the PSFB-throat of the Petrov/G&H version (.188" became .300" of PSFB), and reduced the wasteful neck taper from .004" to .001".
That made the shoulder .003" stronger.

If history were reversed and the 308 preceded the 30-06 I wouldn't be surprised if people would do something like the above. As it is, the 308 gets pretty close to the 30-06 with lighter bullets, 130-150gn, loaded to max pressures, while the factory 30-06 rounds tend to be underloaded and are SAAMI defined to lower pressure, IIRC. If the 308 preceded the 30-06, it would need to wait for a Lott-2nd to come along and design a 30-06. Of course, Winchester and Wetherby could improve on both with a magnum case, not so different from the way in which the 450Rigby and 460 Weatherby improve on both the 458Lott and 458Win by going to a bigger case-head.

So we have a pretty nice parallel in case-size and bolt-face from
308Win >> 30-06 >> 300 WinMag
parallel to
458WinM >> 458Lott >> 450Rigby (throats adjusted as desired or appropriate).

All of this takes us back to the lesson that was learned after the free-boring movement/fad of yesterday-year. Find the rifle platform that a hunter wants or can afford, and choose a caliber that does what one wants. If a person wants more power, get a bigger cartridge.

Or, if you have a .458 Win.Mag., well ... horse

If a person wants a handy rifle (just like the 308s) then a 458WinMag makes a lot of sense, they come in smaller platforms than the Lotts and Rigbys. If someone is happy with a larger platform, then the .458 Win.Mag. Longcol 3.8", Lott and more-so the Rigby are still the caliber of choice. They do it in their sleep, just like a .458 Win.Mag. Longcol .

So what have I done?
I thought about a little 416Ruger. It's a sweet little platform, whether 23" African or 20" Alaskan, and a decent African caliber, the ballistic equivalent of the factory 416Rigby and 416Remmie. A 416Ruger would be lighter than carrying around a big CZ 416 Rigby or 450 Rigby. But we already hunt with a "super 416 long-COL", a hand loaded 416Rigby, 350TTSX at 2820fps. And I'm still young enough to have considered up-sizing rather than down-sizing. So imagine the 'aha' moment when I heard about putting a 50-caliber at Jeffrey-energies into a little Ruger rifle. Wow. Small-platform relative to big bores, wider bore, and as much thump as I wanted to handle. And I'm doing something quite similar to what RIP seems to want in a 458: shooting lighter monolithic bullets and turning the rifle into an awesome one-gun forest-walker.

Yup, +6000 ft-lbs with 500-grainers from .458 Win.Mag.
Those can be single loaded for insurance shots after the varmint loads do the job.
Or just use that .412 BC of the 500-grain TSX on everything, near and far.
Just calibrate that Scope properly.
tu2

Here is what I loaded up for Africa:
(loads are safe in a 22" barrel, Ruger Hawkeye, 500AccRel Nyati [.255" parallel freebore])

50 rounds 360gn tipper-CEB (350 lever-raptor, tipped) with 95 grains[Compressed] H4198 for 2805fps and 0.4" accuracy;
40 rounds 450gn GSC-HV with 100 grains H322 for 2605fps*;
10 rounds 400gn CEB-FN solid with 92 grains H4198 for 2690fps.

(*PS: following up from two years ago when I cracked my stock, the 450gn GSC does 2665fps with 103 grains H322 safely and accurately for 7100ft# energy, but why push it?)

So for the moment, I'm not in the market for a small-platform 458. Let's see how this 500 carries itself while I'm young.

I must be aging prematurely. Wink

This thread has made the 458 into a future contender, but I would be going 'small-platform' and that makes the 416 Ruger, and even the 375 Ruger, to be outstanding options, especially without needing to MacGiver things.

Not even for a .458/400-gr HV at 2500 fps?

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:

Yup, not a thing wrong with it,
but it can do so much more!

Probably 5 years ago we found the match with Accurate 2230 powder that offered results that many looked to achieve since the cartridge was developed. 500 gr bullet at ~ 2150 FPS with no compression with a lead jacketed bullet. No you cannot seat a 500 grain mono bullet or even a 500 grain spire in the case wit 72 gr of Accurate 2230 and have it fit in a standard magazine.
Swift ahead of 74 Gr of 2230 or a 500 gr woodleigh, Hornady DGS, or even perhaps the new Hornady bonded DGX if it pans out.
Unless hunting something that required a solid, I think the 450 swift @ close to 2300 FPS ahead of 74 gr. of 2230 is a great combination. It is an accurate combination as well.

EZ

I like the .458/450-grain North Fork better than the Swift 450-grainer. It is groovy man!
Also has a bonded nose core and a solid copper base cylinder.

Drive it faster than 2300 fps impact and the expanded front folds back to smaller diameter
and it will penetrate deeper with that solid cylinder of copper backing it.
No funny base-bulges or pressure spikes out of the blue, as is so common with Swift A-Frames.
The grooves reduce bearing surface and start pressure. Also provide perfect Longcol loading with crimping.
I load it to 3.600" COL, and then it will do over 2400 fps, in the .458 Win.Mag.
At that COL, you can eject unfired ammo from the chamber.
That works great in my Whitworth MarkX, Winchester M70, and WinCzechster, all with 3.4" box length.

Pair that with the CEB .458/450-grain Brass Safari Solid at 3.360" COL,
fill your 3.4" box with that, at an easy + 2300 fps, and you have one bullet weight for everything.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
Sir Alf, Much admired by this writer so I write this delicately.
Context: This discussion is about the 458 today and tomorrow. In that Context, there is nothing wrong with the 458 WM.
In history, there is something wrong with about every cartridge of any type. Even the Great and deadly 375 H&H has it's closet with bones. It's not very big admittedly and there is only a small femur in there that looks like a Winchester bullet or two but... Smiler

Well said, and worth repeating. tu2

At Alf's "with fresh ammunition": Finn Aagaard thinks a rarely discussed factor was ammo put out by Winchester for their .458 Win.Mag.
with bullets so loose in the case that they would spin with the touch of a finger, bad crimps.
Loose crimps let moisture in, deteriorated the powder.
Loose crimps resulted in poor ignition, even if the powder was good and "fresh," etc.
Other theories of poor quality control in the mass production boom days for that ammo: They abound.

Mike LaGrange's little book BALLISTICS IN PERSPECTIVE of 1983 was admirable, a reliable reference for what it covered.
His .458 Win.Mag. load of preference, "totally reliable," was 2130 fps with 500-grainer as loaded by A-Square with Hornady bullets.
Before the days of the 465-grain Triad?

"My personal choice, not considering weapon action or reliability, which are important factors in dangerous game hunting, is the .458 Winchester Magnum ...

"Most profesional hunters in Zimbabwe are happy with the .458 Winchester ...

Current Winchester advertised ballistics:
2010 fps with 500-grain Nosler Partition and Solid.
Roll Eyes
Oh well, that will make a bloody big hole through just about anything, even at 2000 fps, according to Saint Finn.

Ron "Mahohboh" Thomson, conservationist-hunter, culled how many thousands of elephants with his beloved FN M98 .458 Win.Mag.?
tu2

It occurs to me that if my WinCzechster only averages 2095 fps with the Hornady factory ammo at 55 degrees F,
then at 78 degrees F it might be doing 2140 fps,
as advertised on the Superformance package.

If so, then at 100 degrees F it might be doing 2184 fps.
OK or not OK?
I think it is OK.
But Longcol handloads are better, of course.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
If someone is happy with a larger platform, then the .458 Win.Mag. Longcol 3.8", Lott and more-so the Rigby are still the caliber of choice. They do it in their sleep, just like a .458 Win.Mag. Longcol

RIP, I'm with you on the 458 win being able to be loaded long to match the Lott. But neither of those skinny bullets can match the 450 Rigby and 460 Weatherby loaded to max safe pressures. Most hunters are not even game to take on these powerhouses at their peak. Weatherby thinks that they can reach 8000 ft#. That strikes me as pushing too far, but 7500 ft# is prudent. Please don't try those levels at home with a 458 WinMag. It's fun to have you on the forum.

You will note that I've backed away from 7100 ft# in the 500AccRelNyati and have settled for a modest 450 gn CEB at 2600 fps for 6750ft#. That should take a hartebeesti from about any angle. But the big barrel, scope, and 8oz reducer/balancer in the stock take the 22" barrel and small-platform well past 10# and pushing 11#. It's a nice gun to shoot.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sadly "Ballistics in Perspective", however well intentioned will not withstand even the smallest measure of peer review or scientific scrutiny.

Its only redeeming value is that it has anecdotal evidence from a very accomplished and experienced game control officer. ie level 5 evidence.

The rest sadly is worthless. What is more the references cited in his bibliography all are from lay publications written by ordinary folk.

The only apparent "expert" citations comes from a series of articles written by one Fifi Hundt in Magnum Magazine in the early 80's.

What is interesting is that Game Laws were based on some of these recommendations and I have always wondered what would happen if the veracity of the law itself were challenge in a Court by experts in the field.

The most glaring "mistake" if you may is to correlate projectile physical attributes of kinetic energy and caliber to a probability of killing a animal..... the concepts are worlds apart and drawing correlations can be shot down by anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of science..... anyway was just musing !

The facts are however that there is an awful lot of anecdotal evidence from a large number of highly experienced and respected Control officers and PH's from Mike Lagrange and Richard Harland to John Kingsley Heath, Harry Selby and Finn Aargard to simply discount the 458 as ineffective.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
If moderate pressure is your shaft rotator....458 Accrel? Some kind of 458-404 variant?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the NF solid shank softs in my 416 Rem. and 470 nitro. There performed flawlessly.
Wonderful projectiles.
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:

Yup, not a thing wrong with it,
but it can do so much more!

EZ

I like the .458/450-grain North Fork better than the Swift 450-grainer. It is groovy man!
Also has a bonded nose core and a solid copper base cylinder.

Drive it faster than 2300 fps impact and the expanded front folds back to smaller diameter
and it will penetrate deeper with that solid cylinder of copper backing it.
No funny base-bulges or pressure spikes out of the blue, as is so common with Swift A-Frames.
The grooves reduce bearing surface and start pressure. Also provide perfect Longcol loading with crimping.
I load it to 3.600" COL, and then it will do over 2400 fps, in the .458 Win.Mag.
At that COL, you can eject unfired ammo from the chamber.
That works great in my Whitworth MarkX, Winchester M70, and WinCzechster, all with 3.4" box length.

Pair that with the CEB .458/450-grain Brass Safari Solid at 3.360" COL,
fill your 3.4" box with that, at an easy + 2300 fps, and you have one bullet weight for everything.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
quote:
The facts are however that there is an awful lot of anecdotal evidence from a large number of highly experienced and respected Control officers and PH's from Mike Lagrange and Richard Harland to John Kingsley Heath, Harry Selby and Finn Aargard to simply discount the 458 as ineffective.

and me
and guys from alaska
and you if you will just go out and shoot the thing so as to accumulate a little stick time with it

just might discover it is beyond damned effective just about the right quantity

to pack
pay for
and put up with

might discover with in a box or 2 of bullets it's about all you want in the recoil department

what I mean by that is about all most of us can shoot effectively

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sir Alf for once again pointing us in the right direction. Agreed. The bullet is the proper context to discuss the 458 WM. Not the length of the case or how it was loaded when it was released to the shooting public. Put that terminally unstable solid in your Lott and you have the same problem. RIP has demonstrated very well that the standard 458wm is a terrific launching platform for about any 458 bullet a person wants to deliver. The myths have been neutered quite effectively.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hear here! Alf's last post preserved so he doesn't delete it.

450-grain FN solid is shorter than a 500-grain FN solid: Inherently more stable.
Add velocity to lighter bullet to offset most of the momentum lost if using lighter bullet at same velocity.

However, too much velocity can expand the nose of even brass or copper monometal FN,
and tissue resistance goes up exponentially with velocity.

> 2800 fps expands even brass FN noses on impact in my IronWaterBoardBuffalo tests.

> 2700 fps expands copper FN nose more obviously in same test.

2400 fps is a good velocity compromise, "common knowledge" of the lore of yore for the big bore.
2400 fps optimizes the bullet-momentum versus bullet-deformation/tissue-resistance "balance."

Best solid-bullet magazine box stuffer for any .458 Win.Mag.:
CEB 450-grain Safari Solid at +2300 fps.
Nothing better is possible for braining elephants.

quote:
Again the issue of context comes up:

The 458's reputation or lack thereof was not founded on its ability to knock down "soft skinned " DG like lion or bear or even buffalo but rests solely on its perceived lack of ability on Elephant.

If Phil has trust in his 458 win to keep his clients safe from Bears who are we to judge him and to be honest I would never dream of doing so because he has the experience and I not !

Other than Jack Lott's account of failure on a single event on Buffalo ( and that would require some investigation as to was to whether it was really the 458 Win that failed or simply the shooters inability to hit the animal in the right spot )

Its intended and traditional role was and basically still is as a short range DG stopper !

The interesting point is that there are few if any accusations of failure or lack of performance on large soft game when it comes to the 510 gr soft no matter what the velocity !

This in itself warrants attention because what this means is that when a Soft nosed bullet fired from a 458 win deforms and flattens out it becomes stable then in this form it is very very effective on soft skinned game , most satisfyingly so !

There are no indictments that it is not a good choice in the hands of a trained PH or trails ranger as a back up gun when guiding DG hunts for everything else other than Elephant.

The operative word was elephant !

One could argue we are pontificating about a concept that will soon be something we read about on history books only as elephant hunting or shooting is becoming a rarity . And those who are shooting them are actually shooting relatively small specimens. Even in the now historical concept of culling the traditional DG rifles was ousted by the use of military weapons of far lesser caliber ! Their effectiveness in that realm far supersedes that of a bolt action large bore.

Whether it was in fact the lack of velocity or more importantly the then unknown and unexplored issues pertaining to the behaviour of RN solid bullets in dense targets those who used them at the time did not understand why the 458 showed such erratic behaviours. And if they did they never mentioned it or alluded to it in their writings on the issue !

The fact that there is a simple remedy to greatly enhance function of a 45 caliber Solid by simply blunting the nose to a FN attests to this fact.

We now know that a FN monometal Solid fired from far lesser platforms than a 458 Win and at kinetic energies far below the mandated minimus required by law in the case of Zimbabwe ( Rhodesia) is very very effective ! It is also testimony to what is wrong with LaGranges book and why the theory behind anecdotal evidence put forth by many many experienced hunters we so love to site is also wrong

It goes to prove why I make the statement that even the law would not withstand challenge.

It was Einstein that proclaimed that repeating a error a thousand times over to prove validity does not suddenly make it valid it is in fact the definition of insanity Big Grin

Historically there have been many many books written about DG rifles and their use , there have been even more articles published on the subject and in all except perhaps for work done by John Buhmiller no one seemed to have grasp of what constituted in-target bullet stability.

Every time a picture of a banana shaped RN FMJ with some measure of
" toothpasting" was depicted the words " must have hit bone" got added

Whilst not even in the realm of some of the great names mentioned the name Art Alpin comes up because in a sense he single handedly, and overlooked by many changed our thinking of the shape of the DG bullet and how it affected performance.

Up to this point the old English Doubles and the 458 Win that followed were utilizing ogived RN FMJ's with varying ogival shape and no one actually realized that this was the key to in target performance. If they did it was never mentioned.

Art Alpin introduced commercially a hemispherical solid, basically a round ball cut in half sitting at the end of a short rod. Other than shortening the rod until you have a ball you basically have the most stable configuration a conventional bullet can go other than blunting the nose to a flat surface !

And it brings us then to the issue of anecdotal evidence. It is one thing claiming trust in something that works in your hands and inducing others to do the same.... however propagating science albeit pseudoscience and doing it a thousand times over does not make it valid it is the definition of insanity

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pressure data published by the two companies above is an excellent resource for the standard SAAMI .458 Win.Mag Shortcol.
I am turning another page to place that data at the top of page 31 for easy reference location.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Edition 6.0 of the Western Powders Data:

.458 Winchester Magnum "Shortcol"
24" Barrel of 1:14" twist
Winchester brass 2.490"-2.500"
F215 primer
500-grain Hornady RN
COL = 3.305"
AA-2230 72.0 grains NOT COMPRESSED!!!
MV = 2159 fps
Pressure = 53,808 PSI, not CUP!!!!!!!

Well! Why did they quit there?
More powder!
More velocity!
2200 fps is easy!

one of us
posted Hide Post
2017 annual manual by Hodgdon:

The antiquated CUP listings are still used here.
53,000 CUP is the MAP.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not forget, Longcol Loading a .458 Win.Mag. lowers pressure, and improves accuracy,
or allows increased velocity at usual pressure, with improved accuracy, and eliminates powder compression.
Or you can continue using compressed loads in Longcol Loading. tu2
I just got rid of a sloppy-throated .458 Lott from CZ-USA, traded it in on a .475 Linebaugh Ruger No.1.
0.875" Throat Jump on a .458 Lott with a 3.8" box is stupid.
You can't fix stupid.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a funny thing:

Old SAAMI MAP for .458 Win.Mag.: 53,000 CUP
Year 2015 SAAMI MAP for .458 Win.Mag.: 60,000 PSI
Year 2015 SAAMI MAP for the .458 Lott: 62,500 PSI

Year 2002 CIP MAP for .458 Win.Mag.: 4300 bar = 62,350 PSI
Year 2002 CIP MAP for the .458 Lott: 4300 bar = 62,350 PSI
(And the CIP throat specs for both were the same in 2002, "irregardless" of cartridge brass length.
That is the source of .458-Lott-stupid at CZ-USA.)

I am putting that in my pipe and smoking it.
That is what I am smoking, no need to ask, y'all.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the throat specs were the same regardless of the length, what is the effect if it is NOT regardless of the case length?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
If the throat specs were the same regardless of the length, what is the effect if it is NOT regardless of the case length?

Ray B,

If the joking use of "irregardless" confused you
(meaning "regardless" ... "irregardless" is a nonstandard adverb, a double negative, never acceptable except when the intent is clearly humorous):

The CIP-2002 .458 Lott throat sitting on top of the chamber that accepts 2.800" brass
is the same throat that sits on top of the CIP-2002 .458 Win.Mag. chamber that accepts 2.500" brass.

Stupid is the effect.
Can't fix stupid.
That is why I had to get rid of my CZ-USA .458 Lott.

By chamber specs the Throat Jump should be 0.6725" on both
the .458 Lott using 2.800" brass
and
the .458 Win.Mag. using 2.500" brass.

Somehow, with manufacturing slop by CZ, that 0.6725" Throat Jump comes out to 0.8750" by the time the rifles are finished off at the factory.

No, CZ-USA does not hammer forge their chambers, I am told by a mechanical engineer-Gunsmith I know.
He worked R&D for Remington for a time.
He said Remington tried hammer forging their chambers.
It did not work too well and the process was abandoned after a very brief R&D trial.
rotflmo
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Sooooo what the 410 is to the Whelen, the 458 is to the 458 Win Mag.
What is the bolt action 400 Whelen version of the 500? I.E. 500 NE performance?
500 Accrel? 495 A2?
And 475? Mini Capstick? 475-458 Win with a long throat?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
500 NE performance?
500 Accrel?

tu2

Yes, the 500 AccRel (Nyati throat and 7000ft#) actually exceeds 500NE performance (5850ft#) in a standard-length bolt action, although it can be loaded down to those levels.

The 500AccRel (Nyati) is more comparable to the 500 Jeffery, factory loaded to 6850ft#.
And that is truly saying something.
Imagine--500 Jeffery ballistics in a simple Ruger Hawkeye platform. clap

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
So what is the upside and downside of a 500 ARNyati?

The upside is pretty clear:
500 Jeffery ballistics
2800fps capable with CEB tipped leverRaptor
standard rifle platform (e.g. Ruger Hawkeye)
easier carrying weight than 'magnum mausers'
.510" diameter

The downside:
overkill (really? and that's a downside?)
can't carry 5+1 rounds (that's needed?)
requires personal hand loading for all ammo, a wildcat (a serious consideration, requiring prep time in building)

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
By golly!
More from Alf that supports the effectiveness of the .458 Win.Mag.
Will wonders never cease?
tu2
My local Range Master is a handgun competitor and sweats over the "Power Factor" of his 9mm loads.
He wants it not too fast nor heavy of bullet,
and not too slow nor light of bullet.
He wants it just enough to meet the minimum required Power Factor for the specific event,
and no more!
Else he might be slowed down in speed or impaired in accuracy of emptying his magazines
by the horrible recoil and muzzle blast of that 9mm pistol.

Calculate your load's Power Factor here:

"Power Factor
Calculate Power Factor from muzzle velocity, bullet diameter and bullet weight.
Divisions for TSA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA and SASS are displayed.
SASS has a maximum velocity that is taken into account.
Explanation of terms ..."

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmpf-5.1.cgi

Yup,
the .458 Win.Mag. is the Goldilocks of big-bore DGRs,
as long as you do not load it to its full potential.
Throttle it back.
Load it just right.
Special purpose loads may be Longcol loaded.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is the biggest you can go where recoil is not so large that recovery from recoil becomes a distraction or even a liability.

It certainly applies to the world of handgun competition and also the modern sport of simulated DG hunting. .... and is definitely applicable to the world of real DG hunting.

Years ago SA hunters had a shooting day at the Zonderwater Correctional Facility shooting range and there was a competition to simulate DG hunting. This was before it was actually formulated as a official sport. The biggest baddest calibers never won !

The problem with contests is that they are dealing with multiple shots, but in DG hunting we are training ourselves for the one shot. And we don't want that 90% incapacitation of many, we want 100% on one. Smaller calibers kill large animals cleanly and I don't mind shooting a buffalo with a 338, but I choose something bigger.

Things happen in hunting.
A person can misread the exact angle of a animal's profile. Shadows can play tricks. Sun in a scope can cause glare. Mud on a body can camouflage the shape, etc.
A twig near an animal can cause a little deflection.
An animal can take a step at the moment that the trigger breaks.
A person can wobble more than anticipated after moving into position.
A shooting stick strap may snap.
A drop of sweat gets into a shooting eye.
A friend says something distracting.
A bullet may deflect somewhat on a large bone.

A hunter must treat the rifle like a tool, like shooting a 270. And then the largest, accurate rifle that the hunter can treat like a 270 is best. I shot the 500 a few weeks ago before packing it up for Africa. As expected, the good load produced an anticipated good group, .4", one ragged hole at 100 yards. That is what I would like for a first shot on a buffalo, even if it means an extra half-second of recoil recovery. Make the first shot count. It starts the game. It may be the only shot. It needs to end things.

So I don't go with the accepted minimum from collected experience (e.g., a 375), unless it is what I have. My wife has a Ruger Alaskan 375 but she is relatively new to hunting and doesn't know if she wants to shoot a buffalo. When and if, she will have a tool and will error on the side of caution.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Throttle it back.
Load it just right.

Yes.
That is why my .510" 450gn GSC is doing 2600fps and not 2654fps or 2665fps.
throttled back, comfy.

And I dropped a grain from the 360gn tippedCEB .510", giving up 25fps but enjoying the same sub-MOA accuracy.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
quote:
A hunter must treat the rifle like a tool, like shooting a 270. And then the largest, accurate rifle that the hunter can treat like a 270 is best

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup,
the .458 Win.Mag. is the Goldilocks of big-bore DGRs,
Throttle it back.
Load it just right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
quote:
And then the largest, accurate rifle that the hunter can treat like a 270 is best

For me that is the 375 H&H but with loads like 65 grains of 3031 with 300 grainers and 68 grains with 270 grainers and also 3 grains more with 4064. They are at 2650 and 2450 f/s. those 3031 loads are about as close as you will get in both velocities and powder weight to the original cordite loads.

I could not count the number of kangaroos and pigs I have shot with the 375 and heaps of them in the spotlight as well. Full powered loads with Re 15 and very compressed loads of 4350 just seem to go over a threshold in recoil ... when lots of shooting is done and day after day.

For many years I have believed it is a 375 H&H and not a 395 H&H because of recoil. Remember when introduced the volume of shooting in Africa would have been much much larger than today.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
A hunter must treat the rifle like a tool, like shooting a 270. And then the largest, accurate rifle that the hunter can treat like a 270 is best

I could add that a hunter only needs to treat a DG tool "like a 270" for a half-dozen shots on a particular day. There is no need to be comfortable with 20 or 30 shots of a particular load at one bench-session.
But there is definitely a need to treat the first half-dozen shots "like a 270".

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
quote:
a hunter only needs to treat a DG tool "like a 270" for a half-dozen shots on a particular da

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
a hunter only needs to treat a DG tool "like a 270" for a half-dozen shots on a particular da

I can see your point. However, the way I rated the 375 a couple of posts above also covers shooting from improvised rests. In other words a 375 loaded to about original ballistics and similar powder charge weights is my limit whereby I can shoot the rifle with making any allowance for recoil.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:
quote:
a hunter only needs to treat a DG tool "like a 270" for a half-dozen shots on a particular day

I can see your point. However, the way I rated the 375 a couple of posts above also covers shooting from improvised rests. In other words a 375 loaded to about original ballistics and similar powder charge weights is my limit whereby I can shoot the rifle with making any allowance for recoil.

Yes. Most of my hunting is from improvised rests.
My last buffalo was shot at 110 yards kneeling against a tree. The 6200ft# load in the 416Rigby meant that I was holding the forearm with my Tilley hat, protecting my hand, so that the tree didn't scrape the skin off of my fingers. The last animal was an impala a couple of years ago (TZ has closed local hunting for two years), again the 6200ft# Rigby. Seeing does crossing an opening I dropped to the seat of my pants and had that opening covered from my knees when the daddy-familias stepped across the opening.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP has left the 458 Win to languish in the backwaters Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
The price is recoil impulse and specifically that part that deals with the aftermath of recoil. ie the ability to bring the rifle to bare for the next shot.

In the world of fast accurate shooting there is enough evidence to state that the biggest baddest caliber is not going to win the competition.

It is the biggest you can go where recoil is not so large that recovery from recoil becomes a distraction or even a liability.

It certainly applies to the world of handgun competition and also the modern sport of simulated DG hunting. .... and is definitely applicable to the world of real DG hunting.

Years ago SA hunters had a shooting day at the Zonderwater Correctional Facility shooting range and there was a competition to simulate DG hunting. This was before it was actually formulated as a official sport. The biggest baddest calibers never won !

Calibers with recoil so big that shooters loose control of the firearm, even if it is momentarily or the rise of the gun is so large that effort has to be expended to bring the gun to bare for the next shot basically disqualifies certain caliber choices for consideration as effective DG rifles.

When large scale elephant culling was an issue ( it is now a thing of the past ) it was proven to a point where large bores fell from consideration as weapons of choice simply because of recoil and its effects. A shooter faced with the prospect of having to deal with a herd of 20 or more animals having to shoot them under two minutes within a radius of 25 meters and having a 90 % one shot kill / incapacitation rate cannot do it with a large bore bolt gun or double period !

By own admission culling team members conceded early on in the process that recoil effect on vision and recovery is to great and that it becomes a liability. Firing a 600 double or a 500 Jeffery, 20 shots or more in quick succession is brutal ! I don't care who you are !

I specifically asked for a no-braked gun. I simply don't need it with my .458WM "jungle carbine" despite its light weight.

But...having said that, we can agree that the new designs tame the recoil to the point a bastard cartridge can be turned down to a pussycat with no other ill-effect than noise as long as bystanders are idiot enough to stand sideways.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
RIP has left the 458 Win to languish in the backwaters Big Grin

Nope, just waiting for the GSC .458/400-grain HV.
tu2
Rip ...