Wish list, to make the muzzle brake worthwhile on the new Africans:

1. Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in .458 WIN
Add:
second visible crossbolt,
a hidden crossbolt to back up a barrel recoil lug,
pillar bedding,
and a steel rod from grip cap to rear pillar

2. That's all.

Will take a 9.3x62mm African (AVAILABLE and has no muzzle brake)
as a training rifle until the Ruger African .458 WIN arrives.

Two of the best hunting cartridges ever, and purposed for the common man from the get-go:
9.3x62mm Mauser of 1905 by Otto Bock.
11.7x64mm Winchester Belted, probably conceived in 1954, prototypes tested in 1955, first "African" model factory rifles sold in 1956.

And then came the Ruger "Africans" circa 2006-2007.
About a half century between each milepost.
tu2
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wow, RIP, that is a fine looking wish item. That would be a great entry-level DG rifle. Rugers are tough, control-feed, easy carry. Usually quite accurate with proper bedding, good for the eye of buffalo.

And yes, you definitely want 4-inches all-thread between tang and grip cap. I was able to shoot my 338WM Hawkeye yesterday and appreciated the nice small grip area for comfort. That smallness is amply protected by 1/4" allthread, easy to install by us non-smithys with a drill down from the tang area and some epoxy.

Meanwhile, some of us non-custom rifle-folk have to make do with a 416 Ruger + muzzle brake. Available now. Definitely liveable. Little less shove, little smaller hole. Huntable with proper caution and we all use proper caution anyway. tu2

Meanwhile my eighth decade has started to tick and one wonders what a ninth decade would want, should the Lord be gracious. 500>458>416>375>//>9.3>338>308?

We have things better than anytime in history, 'cepting for easy access to good hunting fields. Roll Eyes

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan,
Good move on reinforcing your walnut grip. tu2
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
We have things better than anytime in history, 'cepting for easy access to good hunting fields. Roll Eyes

Yep, it cuts both ways, that progress does.
Sad that we don't already have a Ruger "African" .458 WIN factory rifle.
A chicken in every pot, a .458 WIN in every home, is how it will be when utopia arrives.
But we can always hope, or build our own.
tu2

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good move on reinforcing your walnut grip.

Here is how simple the grip reinforcement ends up:

The drilled hole from the tang is filled with the 1/4" allthread and epoxy up to the whole. This is done as a separate operation from preparing to bed the stock, etc.

Here is the same 338 with the cross-piece all- thread in the recoil reinforcement area before epoxy and after epoxy:

Some may call this "skim-bedding," where just a target area is bedded and care is taken to leave wood in place to set the appropriate height of action.

the result of the above is an accurate rifle with a very strong stock.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new version of the Ruger African Hawkeye has 2 crossbolts. I been told the angled action screw into the small recoil lug makes pillar bedding almost impossible.

But those folks have never met the man who used the 458 WM to beat up on the Lott.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff 416Tanzan.

LHeym500: Buy a donkey for those flowers.

Ruger pillars are no challenge. The earliest Hogue stocks on the Rugers had no bedding block, but they had metal pillars, including the angled one at front.

Put an old Hogue stock out of its misery and organ-harvest the pillars.
Transplant them or keep them as a model for the gunsmith, or learn to make them yourself.
Great project for a budding gunsmith to teach himself how to use a file.
tu2

One of Us
Picture of badboymelvin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badboymelvin:
quote:
Originally posted by badboymelvin:
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Also from the .458 Lott section of Barnes "Number 4":

No matter the rifle chambering, was the need for a more precisely placed first shot indicated by this tale ?

Six 450-gr TSX bullets, 3 recovered, 3 exited, 6 shots total !

The .458"/ 450-grain TSX-FB is superb.
Exit on broadside, stay in on more lengthwise shots in bison ?
Or were they all broadsides and toss a coin as to whether it will exit ?
From the wording of Stan Skinner, the latter seems more indicated.

Would the 400-gr TSX at higher velocity do the same ?

Finn Aagaard said the old .458"/ 400-gr X-bullet at about 2300 fps was as good or better for penetration and wound channel as any 500-gr soft of bi-metal construction.
tu2
NON ILLEGITIMI CARBORUNDUM

I remember reading a really good article that Stan Skinner wrote about the .458WM.

It was a positive article and I had it and for the life of me I cant find it...

He wrote it before the Lott became really popular and I'm wondering if he's still as glowing towards the .458 now that he thinks the .458 LOTT is perfect for DG...?

Has anyone read the article I'm talking about? Does anyone have it?

Cheers,

Russ

EDIT I did a bit of Googling and while I couldn't find the article its from Guns & Ammo magazine, January 2005 and it's in the Reloading section

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...

Posts: 160 | Location: Melbourne, Australia  | Registered: 19 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know anything about John Kronfeld? Is he still alive?

When I had my first .458 Win Mag in a Ruger 77 (22" barrel with the tang safety), he'd written a great piece on the .458 Win in a Guns & Ammo annual. I was having a problem getting the accuracy I needed for a bear hunt using the 350gr Speer, so wrote to him asking for advise. In a personal letter, he was very helpful in explaining the long leade of the .458 and the need to seat that bullet as long as possible and give it a taper-crimp. I really appreciated his help in a kind manner.

The accuracy improved enough (about 1.5" at 100) to get a bear at 70 yards with a reduced load (2345 fps).

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Nice old model Ruger in the classifieds. Would be a dandy for someone wanting to fall in love with the 458 WM!!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great stuff 416Tanzan.

LHeym500: Buy a donkey for those flowers.

Ruger pillars are no challenge. The earliest Hogue stocks on the Rugers had no bedding block, but they had metal pillars, including the angled one at front.

Put an old Hogue stock out of its misery and organ-harvest the pillars.
Transplant them or keep them as a model for the gunsmith, or learn to make them yourself.
Great project for a budding gunsmith to teach himself how to use a file.
tu2

Brownells have a pillar kit to suit the Ruger. It includes an angled front pillar cut to fit against the recoil lug.

https://www.brownells.com/guns...pillars-prod357.aspx

I’ve often thought how neat the Ruger Alaskan would be if it were available in 458 with some minor mods and a 22” barrel.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Missionaries:

I'll keep an eye peeled for Skinner & Kronfeld articles if I go digging through the stacks.
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury01:

Buy a donkey for that headsup. Beautiful 1986 Model Ruger M77 "African."

All steel bottom metal on the .458 WIN at a time when other M77 rifles had aluminum,
you could order the steel trigger guard and floor plate when you busted an aluminum one:

one of us
posted Hide Post
JFE:

Buy a donkey for that headsup too:
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
Brownells have a pillar kit to suit the Ruger. It includes an angled front pillar cut to fit against the recoil lug.

https://www.brownells.com/guns...pillars-prod357.aspx

I’ve often thought how neat the Ruger Alaskan would be if it were available in 458 with some minor mods and a 22” barrel.

I am going to need to get some of those.
Making them yourself from stainless steel is still an option, of course, as getting the 60* angle is not critical if you are using epoxy bedding over the ends of them.
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alice CZ now has a playmate named Lilly Ruger, both are 9.3x62mm factory rifles:

7#5oz with iron sights, no ammo.
8#5oz with matte black Leupold 2-7x33mm in a low set of matte grey Ruger rings, L6 factory trigger on rifle is matte grey also.
Twist is 1:10" for 24" barrel on Lily.
An old scope and an old set of rings fitted to a new rifle.
Ruger M77 Hawkeye African magazine box is shorter in length than that of the CZ 550 Medium FS.
Handles 3.40" instead of 3.45" COL.
Still, it would be nice as a .458 WIN.
Dave Scovill showed the M77 MkII could easily be opened up to the rear for 3.6" COL, should be same for Hawkeye.
Beat any SAAMI .458 Lott on the top end loads,
maybe not with birdshot loads.
A bit heavier barrel would be needed for the .458 WIN or even a .458/.416 Ruger.
Every stock reinforcing trick in the book would be needed for the walnut.
Great stock design for sure.
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post

This is what a .458"/ 400-gr TSX would look like in the best of all possible worlds, and Bubba is wondering why Barnes has gone astray
in offering their version to Buffalo Bore for proprietary use only !

Buffalo Bore says 2250 fps for their ammo for SAAMI .458 Win.Mag. whether in 22" barrel or 18" barrel !

Bubba says 2500 to 2600 fps for the BBMT T6 400-grainer in either 23" barrel with .458" groove or 25" barrel of .459" groove
(5552 to 6004 ft-lbs),
for handloaders of the .458 WIN+P.
No sweat.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Your version of the 400 is just grand I would say. Between you and Bob, something needs to catch one this fall.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury01,

Buy a donkey for the flowers.
It will be my primary hunting bullet, .458"/ 400-grainer at 2500 to 2600 fps in a 24" barrel, more or less depending on rifle.

If that bullet were made of lead it would be well over 500 grains.
I am getting ready to try some cast lead 400-ish grainers, hardcast, gas-checked, and powder-coat painted.
Hope to see how fast they will go with accuracy:
H4895
tu2

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
RIP
Get your Bastard file out!
undercut at the base of the hollow point so you get 4 petals and a solid penetrator base like a a CEB Raptor.
Cinco Shock-o
4 petals plus base.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick,

The TSX is already skived for four petals.
I will be doing no more than enlarging the hole a bit in the first bit of the HP for the T6 400-grainer.

one of us
posted Hide Post

It is worth revisiting the Buffalo Bore load with the custom run of TSX 400-grainer from Barnes.
Proprietor gets 2250 fps with his load in his 18"-barreled custom rifle, 2247 fps in his 22"-barreled M70.
Eeker
He attributes that mainly to the custom Marquart barrel's rifling magic, built 30 years ago.
He mentions other factors but does not say he has short throat on the custom rifle.
Maybe that is why he came out with such a slow-poke load with the 400-grain TSX
to satisfy SAAMI specs for commercial ammo that might be shot in oddball rifles,
and also not blow a gasket in his custom job.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure he is holding back, he lists trajectory tables for MV from 2600 fps to 1900 fps, says pick the one that matches your rifle closest.

Here is the one for the T6 400-grainer in Bobbarrella and Alderella, both with 25" Shilen barrels:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the one for Marcella with tight and light 23" McGowen barrel,
so my shoulder does not get sore:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Daisy with 24" Ruger barrel, and Chimera with 24-7/8" CZ barrel, ought to be about midway between those two tables above, about 2550 fps MV.

Daisy, Marcella, Bobbarrella, Alderella, and Chimera
are all .458 WIN+P shooters.

Any SAAMI-restricted .458 Winchester Magnum with a 24" barrel ought to easily exceed this:

Back in the dark ages, 2400 fps with a 400-grainer was the holy grail of the .458 Win.Mag. faithful.
Not anymore.

That G1 BC of 0.324 ought to be about right for the BBMT T6 400-grainer.
Will have to check the drop at long range from a known MV and see if it makes sense,
like Bob does for the TSX bullets.
tu2

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
With an undercut at the base of the hole on the outside, the 4 petals will shear off the base for a super penetrating base.

quote:
boom stick,

The TSX is already skived for four petals.
I will be doing no more than enlarging the hole a bit in the first bit of the HP for the T6 400-grainer.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
With an undercut at the base of the hole on the outside, the 4 petals will shear off the base for a super penetrating base.

You are suggesting a nose ring on the T6 400-grainer?
faint
I hate nose rings. My daughter is a nurse with BSN and MSN and is working at teaching nursing students.
When she was 15 y.o. she started sneaking out the window of her bedroom at night to go smoke pot with maggot-infested-dope-smoking HS classmates.
I called the police one time and she had to answer to them. I think she quit her she-nannigans after that.
GOD BLESS THE POLICE !
Boys coming to the house were turned away at the door if they smelled of tobacco or pot. I have a good sniffer.
If they smelled clean, they got to come in and watch me pretend to clean my shotgun at the living room coffee table.
Long term cannabis can lower your IQ and make you more prone to psychosis.
That is a scientific fact. I know this because I am able to interpret science properly, never having smoked pot more than one time, and finding it quite dysphoric.
Half the world has a brain chemistry that will not tolerate cannabis or opioids. The other half is pathetic and apathetic.
But I digress ... as you were ... nose rings:

That daughter of mine came to visit once with a piercing of her left nostril.
I immediately told her it was stupid to work as a nurse in a hospital with a nose piercing, prone to MRSA or flesh-eating strep infection, etc.,
to rot her nose off.
To her credit, the next time I saw her the piercing had healed closed with no complications.
Apparently she had stopped smoking pot in time to preserve most of her IQ.
The nose is smack dab in the middle of the "Deadly Triangle" between upper lip and eyebrows. Infection may track right into the brain.
As a resident physician I once took care of a brain abscess for 6 months of hospitalization and neurosurgies until discharging "it" to a nursing home. But I digress again ... as you were ... nose rings:

Thank you for supporting THE MISSION, boom stick, we welcome your free speech, even if we detest the idea for many reasons.
No nose rings on my bullets, please.

For Mike McGuire: We have now expanded the scope of this thread to include nose rings and cannabis.
Neither of those mix well with shooting a .458 WIN.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP;

I wish I could make my points as poignant and hilarious at the same time!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Buy a donkey for those flowers.
I forgot to mention that whenever I met my daughter's new "boyfriend" at the living room coffee table,
I always had the Family Bible open on the coffee table to study as if it were an instruction manual for shotgun cleaning.

For those looking for a new color for cast bullets,

https://www.eastwood.com/hotco...ford-light-blue.html

Their Ford Light Blue powder coat paint is supposed to be better than Harbor Freight Red for ease of getting excellent results.
It is affordable too, only $11.99 per pound,
which should do thousands of bullets per pound.
Gotta pay shipping too, but it would be a great powder to start off with, even if you are a "chevy man," as one of the customers wrote.

Another of the 5-star reviews there:
By: AZMark
Phoenix, AZ

Easy on, NOT easy off. Even on rifle bullets!
I use powder coating for a different reason than most people but I can honestly say Eastwood has the best quality - hands down - among all other suppliers that I've used. I have been powder coating projectiles (bullets) for a variety of calibers for years and have tried products from at least a half dozen of the top sellers online and none come close to Eastwood. Application is easier, the powder clings much better, is less affected by humidity and temperature, and it bakes so much smoother. The finish is so durable it never wrinkles, flakes, chips or varies at all. Every detail is covered yet shows through perfectly. I retrieve spent bullets from a variety of materials (wood, concrete, earth, etc.) and it's amazing how well this stuff clings, even after a journey through a hot barrel at 1,300 feet per second Smiler If this doesn't convince you I'm not sure what will. I also powder coat tools, motorcycle parts, camping utilities, etc. on a regular basis and again Eastwood is by far my preferred supplier. But the proof is in the bullets, I challenge folks to find a better torture test Smiler

✔ Yes, I recommend this product.

(End of review.)

If you order 50 lbs of it the price is down to $8/lb, ha ha.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

www.bigbores.ca

I truly enjoyed the latest installment of your blog, "Bear Bullets -- P2"
and am now reassured that the 9.3x62mm makes a handy rifle for walk about in bear country.
So would a .458 WIN with 400-grainer. Cool

Hi-Tek bullet coating by J&M in Australia is used by this outfit:

http://www.cheycastbullets.com...st-Bullets_c_61.html

I cannot tell if it is any better than the usual powder-coat paints,
same advantages for both ...

"Hi-Tek Supercoat bullets are safe to shoot indoors and your dies will remain clean during the reloading process. Coated bullets produce higher velocities. The coating gives off no toxic out gassing or particulate matter when fired. The coating is absolutely nonabrasive and contains no PTFE or MOLY. There is no wax lube to gum up your loading dies and it minimizes your exposure to lead. The end result is cleaner air, cleaner hands, cleaner reloading equipment and cleaner guns."

... but doing the Hi-Tek yourself at home involves acetone as a solvent for a liquid application, just a little bit more messy in the process.

They do sell some cast bullets they call "hard-cast" claiming 92/6/2 alloy ...

"We use a 92% Lead/6% Antimony/2% Tin bullet alloy for casting all bullets. We buy our bullet alloy directly from a local foundry that has the knowledge, equipment and experience to manufacture bullet alloy to exacting specifications."

... about like my 92/5/2/1 alloy, but I can heat-treat to a little greater hardness with mine.
The only interesting .458 bullet sold by them with Hi-Tek coating is a 405-grain FN,
but available only in .458" diameter.
Would be nice in a SAAMI-minimum .456"-grooved .45-70, I reckon.

Too bad it is not offered as a .461" diameter for the .458 Win.Mag. which is most often found with a .459"-grooved barrel.

Anyway, I might need a pointier 400-grainer for 400-yard shooting across a moose pasture such as pictured in Bob's blog:

one of us
posted Hide Post
North Fork Technologies of Sweden has begun production.

https://www.northforkbullets.com/

USA and Canada Reseller: https://www.northforkbullets.c...esellers/USA/Canada/

Reloading International is taking pre-orders by email to notify maker of suggestions for production scheduling.
Got a wish list for a North Fork bullet and desired quantity of same?
I put in a request for 200 of the .458-caliber 400-grain semi-spitzer soft points (SS or SSP):

Reloading International (email@reloadinginternational.com)

http://www.reloadinginternational.com/

Contact Us
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or require assistance with placing an order.
The quickest response will be with email. However, you can contact us by mail or phone and we will respond as soon as possible.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Email: Info@reloadinginternational.com
Mailing address: Miken Inc. Reloading International 5006 NW B Avenue, Suite B Pendleton, OR 97801 USA
Telephone: Phone 541-636-0966
Fax 541-636-0966

Australia Reseller:
https://www.northforkbullets.com/Resellers/Australia/

http://meplat.com.au/index.php

The photo below shows a selection of lead core projectiles recovered from Australian water buffalo and demonstrates the uniform expansion that you can expect from the North Fork bonded lead core projectile lines.

... etc.
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick might like this one:

Percussion Point
The percussion point projectiles are designed for rapid expansion on the big cats as well as other large thin skinned game.

How They Work

Percussion Points are specifically designed for use on thin skinned dangerous game, such as the big cats. They are designed to mushroom rapidly, to quickly impart massive shock. A highly desireable quality when facing dangerous game. The tapered jacket ensures that the projectle mushrooms in a controlled manner, regardless of impact velocity.

Design Features

Construction – The bonded lead core remains with the jacket upon expansion, retaining maximum projectile weight and a uniform expansion shape, for straight line penetration. The solid copper base ensure that expansion cannot continue beyond the lead core front section, ensuring deep penetration at higher velocities.

Meplat – The exposed lead tip and etching just back from the meplat promotes rapid expansion on thin skinned game for maximum trauma. The also provides the projectile with both visual and tactile cues to ensure positive identification and distinction from other projectile types.

Bonded Core - The copper walls containing the lead core are taper cut to ensure that they 'peel' open gradually in a controlled manner. This way, even at high impact velocities the projectile will mushroom consistently and not come apart. North Fork call this 'Designed Impact Geometries'. The bottom of the lead core has a reversed ogive shape to ensure that the copper jacket has greatest strength at maximum expansion, and prevents the front section from separating.

Driving Bands – North Fork's 'Smart Band Technology' TM utilises multiple thin driving bands. These not only conform to the bore to ensure a positive gas seal with virtually no barrel fouling, but also reduce chamber pressures by effectively halving the bearing surface, to greatly reduce friction.

Range of Weights – Percussion Points come in a range of dangerous game calibres from .375 to .458 and come in different weights within each available calibre.

Note: Because these projectiles have solid bases, they are longer than pure lead core projectiles of the same weight. As such, they may require a faster twist than the same weight lead core projectile. Please check the Technical Data Sheet to ensure that the projectiles you are interested in are compatible with your rifle's barrel twist rate.
http://meplat.com.au/index.php...les/precussion-point

tu2

One of Us
Picture of badboymelvin
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,

Well, yesterday was my 44th birthday, so I thought I'd celebrate with a busy but fun day with the .458! Cool

Got up early and drove to several different gun shops getting powder, projectiles and new loading dies, then like a kid in a candy store spent an enjoyable hour or so loading up a few rounds to try out.

I was working up a new load for the big 550gn Woodleigh weldcore RNSP and was trying ADI Benchmark 2 powder (known just as BENCHMARK elsewhere in the world) from the recommendation of Geoff McDonald himself from Woodleigh.

I've never tried BM2 powder but it ended up being an AWESOME powder for the 550's.

In case anyone is interested in the load I used, it was a Winchester case, CCI 250 Mag primer and 73gn of BM2.
Please, work up from 70gn if you want to duplicate this load...

Using a drop tube I was surprised how much room was left in the case to seat the projectiles. They seated to the cannelure no problems - and with no crazy compression.

These handholds were loaded to suit the standard length Zastava action / magazine, so weren't loaded long. The length of the loaded round was 3.340"

Then I drove to my usual spot from to try a couple of these new reloads through the chronograph.

Well, the .458 came to the party and after 3 shots through the chronograph - there was only 7fps variation between them.
Velocity with the 550gn Woodleigh RNSP projectiles was 2080fps for a muzzle energy of 5285ft/lbs tu2

I reckon that should get the attention of whatever it hits just a little...!

The empties flicked out of the chamber without a hint of stickiness or resistance and the fired primers looked great. On top of that it was a beautiful sunny day without a hint of breeze.

What a FANTASTIC day! You just gotta love when a plan comes together dancing

Cheers,

Russ

Big bullets!

All loaded up and ready to lay the smack-down on something![/QUOTE]

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...

Posts: 160 | Location: Melbourne, Australia  | Registered: 19 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BadBoyMelvin,

That's what I'm talkin' about, YOU BAD ! clap
Buy a buy a buy a buy a buy a donkey for the excellent support of THE MISSION.

Happy birthday to a young whipper snapper. BOOM

The WOODLEIGH BULLETS LOADING MANUAL starts at 69.0 grains of Benchmark (Bench Mark 2) for 2015 fps with that bullet,
goes to 71.0 grains maximum for 2110 fps MV.
They show both loads compressed.
I reckon they did not use a drop tube like you did.
They do not specify a barrel length, could be 22" to 26".
They do not specify a brass type nor primer used.
I reckon they stopped due to powder compression of about 105%, not due to pressure problems.
105% compression with an extruded/stick powder is no problem at all.

Of course, you know, that bullet is plenty long enough to load to 3.600" COL with an extra cannelure added for secure crimp and plenty of seating depth.
Load that up to .458 Lott MAP and it will beat the SAAMI .458 Lott for MV for sure,
with no drop tube needed.

I do love the drop tube for H4895 (AR2206H) and 400-grainers.

This is funny:
Woodleigh manual loads the .458 Lott with the 550-gr RN SN using max loads with no compression.
They had to quit because of pressure, not compression !
Max loads:
H4895 (AR2206H) 77.0 grains >>> 2100 fps
Varget (AR2208) 79.0 grains >>> 2100 fps
Alliant RL-15 81.0 grains >>> 2115 fps rotflmo

The .458 Lott-3.6" beat the .458 WIN-3.340" by 5 fps.
animal

A CZ 550 Medium magazine box functions with COL up to 3.450". Just sayin'.
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post

Some 400-ish-grain bullets
1: BBM T6 .458"/ 400.0 grainer (exactly 400.0 grains +/- 0.0 grains)
2: Woodleigh .458"/ 400 grainer (10 weighed, averaged 400.3 grains +/- 0.6 grains, excellent factory bullet. 3 of the 10 weighed exactly 400.0 gr)
3: Accurate Molds .461"/ 401 grainer in 50:50 Alloy (+/- 1 grain)
4: Accurate Molds .461"/ 411 grainer in Linotype (+/- 1 grain).

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just had a thought that Woodleigh might be using CIP pressure standards instead of SAAMI ... I do not know.

CIP MAP (PTmax) for the .458 Winchester Magnum is 4300 bar or about 62,350 psi
CIP MAP for .458 Lott is same.

SAAMI MAP for the .458 Winchester Magnum is 60,000 psi (formerly 53,000 CUP)
SAAMI MAP for the .458 Lott is 62,500 psi.

CIP was the first to homologate the .458 Lott, circa 2000, and when they first did that, the throat was same as the .458 WIN, tacked onto the end of the 2.8" case.
Very unlike the .458 Lott wildcat that Jack Lott rustled up, circa 1971.
Jack blended 2.8" brass into the existing throat of a SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum chamber.
No lengthening of the existing throat.
His reamer had a non-cutting belt stop, and his throat blended into the .458 Winchester Magnum throat with no cutting of that throat either.

When SAAMI homologated the .458 Lott circa 2002, they gave it a short throat, and CIP subsequently revised their homologation of the .458 Lott
to match the chamber dimensions of SAAMI precisely.
Not so precisely on the MAP.

Since 1956 there has always been one and only one standardized .458 Winchester Magnum chamber, whether SAAMI or CIP.

The chamber specifications for the .458 WIN+P are identical to the original SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum.
The .458 WIN+P differs from the SAAMI standard .458 Winchester Magnum only in allowing the same higher MAP as the .458 Lott (62,500 psi),
and whatever COL is practical, both longer and shorter than SAAMI.

COL specifications by SAAMI for .458 Winchester Magnum:
Minimum 3.280"
Maximum 3.340"

Arbitrarily established COL specifications for the .458 WIN+P:
Minimum 2.490" (possible with birdshot loads)
Maximum 3.800" (possible with some bullets and some rifles)

Homologation of the .458 WIN+P is by the august membership of an organization of handloaders known as Riflecrank Internationale Permanente aka R.I.P.
Founding members are Bob Mitchell of Canada and Ron Berry of USA.
That makes it international.
Representatives worldwide are welcome.
Membership drive is permanente
and open to all riflecranks.
What are the membership benefits accrued by signing on with a reply acknowledging your membership request here ?
You get "BEST REGARDS" from R.I.P.,
for THE MISSION.
So far we have homologated one cartridge at R.I.P.: .458 WIN+P
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
My contribution to the .458 WIN+P is a configuration that I refer to as the ".458 Torpedo". This is a Lehigh 528 grain Match Solid loaded to a COAL of 4.25 inches. I am just now modeling start loads in Quickload, and will soon be taking some to the range along with a PressureTrace II to make sure pressures are sane. I'll update the thread when I have results.

Recoil is expected to be brisk. Okay, enough to rattle one's teeth.

Can we update the .458 WIN+P to a new COAL of 4.25 inches, or make this a new specifcation for single-shot rifles only?

Note that this is a strange projectile for the caliber, being an all-brass bore-rider semi-VLD design that is ultra long, yet the full diameter bearing surface is roughly in the same place at 4.25 COAL as normal .458 projectiles are at normal seating depths.

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
QL simulation of the .458 "Torpedo" load

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoa !
That is cool but the picture is hosted at a "malicious web page."
My 'puter is blocking me from copying that beauteous image.

Anywho, I can get the bullet image at Lehigh Defense, buy a donkey, Maz,
excellent support of THE MISSION.

Lehigh says that bullet is only 2.200" long and requires 1:15" or faster twist, like on a SAAMI .458 WIN with 1:14" twist.
BC = 0.871

Wildcatting to .458 WIN+P should be very interesting with that bullet.
Exceedingly interesting if you can get some pressure and velocity readings.

I see the QL simulation too.
Is that not a rather high start pressure for a brass bullet with grooves/drive bands ?
Is that the proper weighting factor for a straight case ?
QuickLOAD makes no allowance for throat,
it is bumfuzzled by a long throat.
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
One good turn leads to another Lehigh bullet:

A Veral Smith WFN shaped out of copper: .458"/ 380-gr
1.130" long
BC = 0.259
Twist 1:30" or faster
Meant for use in a .45-70 at 1800-1900 fps,
it could be used in the .458 WIN+P at 2500-2600 fps.
That might leave a mark at close range.
Maz's bullet will leave a mark at long range.
tu2