Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
There is no such thing as BEST CARTRIDGE.

Best cartridge for what??

Best as in more useful than any other cartridge if one is limited to one rifle/cartridge.
But if that is not clear, then please excuse my poor choice of word. I fixed it above.
"MOST PRACTICAL" should be substituted for "best."
Undeniable truth.
Most practical rifle and cartridge as in most useful in this universe: .458 WIN
There is no way to beat the .458 WIN.
Just call it what it is, THE GREATEST:

tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
But I like hunting at 2600-2800 fps.

Your descriptions lead me back to . . .
< drum roll > clap

the 416 Ruger

Your specification leads me back to the .458 WIN.
.458/350-grain TSX at 2750 fps, 3.435" COL,
or 2650 fps at 3.335" COL.
I would use the light and fast bullets on top of a magazine full of 480-grainers at 2300 fps, softs or solids (DGX or DGS), at 3.340" COL,
if limited to shortCOL.
tu2
Rip ...

That's comparing apples and quince. I wouldn't hunt buffalo with a 350gn in .458". But monometal in .416 would give me a good feeling.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would gladly take on cape buffalo with a .458/350-grain TSX but would prefer a heavier bullet,
like 400-gr, 450-gr, 480-gr monometals,
or even 500-gr Woodleigh, Swift, or Hornady 500-grainers.
There are so many options with the .458-caliber bullets available,
it would be silly to be stuck on the 350-grain weight just because it is one of the few available weights for use in a .416 Ruger.
Silly to be stuck in the 2600-2800 fps window when slower works so well with the heavier .458 bullets,
and one should not be shooting cape buffalo at long range.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would never hunt with a cartridge supported by a draft dodging wimp! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67021 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Saeed,

There you go again, debating the issues just like Joe Biden.

Trump was a Democrat when he did all that bad stuff.
He is a changed man now.
And besides, he doesn't give a hoot about the .458 WIN.
It is Melania who thinks the .458 WIN be best.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Saeed;

You're shovelling "dirty politics", I don't think you want to go there because if the Democrats (USA) and Liberals (Canada) have their way, sometime in the not too distant future, none of us will be contributing anything to AR because we'll have nothing to write about!

I'm sure you get the drift... Cool

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
quote:
quote:

Saeed;

You're shovelling "dirty politics", I don't think you want to go there because if the Democrats (USA) and Liberals (Canada) have their way, sometime in the not too distant future, none of us will be contributing anything to AR because we'll have nothing to write about!

I'm sure you get the drift... Cool

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

You posted his picture where it is totally irrelevant!

He is no friends of hunters.

So let us keep his wimpy face only in the Political Forum.

Posts: 67021 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed could have used some handloads for his seagull shooting with the .458 WIN.
Many excellent seagull loads will suit the SAAMI restricted cartridge just fine.
I have not tried the 250-grainer yet but expect it to get to 3000 fps quite easily,at 3.340" COL and sub 60,000 psi.
Here is a monometal of gilding metal that won't vaporize at 3000 fps,
even if the polymer tip does:

I shoot this bullet at 2560fps in my smokeless 50 caliber muzzleloader...it performs exceptionally well on whitetails.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Ronnie would say,

Well, there you go again!

Your statement of the versatility of the .458 WM is predicated on nonstandard cartridges, and the willingness of the hand loader to do things that are not in any recognized reloading manual... (I am not claiming it’s unsafe).

If a nonstandard cartridge is ok, and a modified mag box is ok, then rethroating a different case is OK.

If you are allowed to do these things, then it doesn’t matter what the starting point is- it isn’t what you started with when you get to the practical use.

The .458 as loaded by the factory is a good DG round.

The recoil isn’t too bad, but is notable. There are other standard options that have less, including DG legal rounds.

The bullet is of good diameter and mass, but If you want bigger diameter or heavier slugs, there are other appropriate options.

If you want higher velocities, there are options that don’t require wildcatting.

In order to make the .458 as “versatile” as claimed, it’s no longer a .458 WM - as is shown by RIP’s consistent nomenclature variations.

Again, no flies on the .458 WM, but it’s not the be all-end all of DG rifles, or rifles in general. It has its strengths and weaknesses like all other chamberings. And the others can be fiddled with just like the .458 to move up or down the scale as well.

Still, if I want a 500 grain .458 bullet at 2100 I think I’d be getting a nice old .450 NE. I like the nostalgia of the old doubles, and with modern bullets, it’s just as effective as the WM or the Lott on game at the distances I would shoot that type of bullet at.

I’m not quite a Luddite, as I would put a RMR type sight on it, though.

Posts: 10656 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
This makes me wonder about the throat of the 450 NE.
What can the 458 WM that the 450 NE can’t do with an extended pinky?
Is the 458 WM the Randy Quaid to the 450 NE Denis Quaid?
Is the 458 WM just a wanna be 450 NE?
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
There is a genuine wisdom to the bullet/velocity combination that they both share.
PS
Is the 458 WM better than the 404 Jeffery?
Is a 458-404 wildcat variants better than the 458 WM?
Are any of the 458-416 Rigby carts/wildcats better than the 458 WM? (450 Rigby, 458 BS or 458 Lapua)

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
As Ronnie would say,

Well, there you go again!

Your statement of the versatility of the .458 WM is predicated on nonstandard cartridges, and the willingness of the hand loader to do things that are not in any recognized reloading manual... (I am not claiming it’s unsafe).

If a nonstandard cartridge is ok, and a modified mag box is ok, then rethroating a different case is OK.

If you are allowed to do these things, then it doesn’t matter what the starting point is- it isn’t what you started with when you get to the practical use.

The .458 as loaded by the factory is a good DG round.

The recoil isn’t too bad, but is notable. There are other standard options that have less, including DG legal rounds.

The bullet is of good diameter and mass, but If you want bigger diameter or heavier slugs, there are other appropriate options.

If you want higher velocities, there are options that don’t require wildcatting.

In order to make the .458 as “versatile” as claimed, it’s no longer a .458 WM - as is shown by RIP’s consistent nomenclature variations.

Again, no flies on the .458 WM, but it’s not the be all-end all of DG rifles, or rifles in general. It has its strengths and weaknesses like all other chamberings. And the others can be fiddled with just like the .458 to move up or down the scale as well.

Still, if I want a 500 grain .458 bullet at 2100 I think I’d be getting a nice old .450 NE. I like the nostalgia of the old doubles, and with modern bullets, it’s just as effective as the WM or the Lott on game at the distances I would shoot that type of bullet at.

I’m not quite a Luddite, as I would put a RMR type sight on it, though.

Actually the only thing that might be considered as non standard on the "RIP 458" is the 3.6" magazine length.

In addition I think it is reasonable to say the audience on AR Big Bores would reloaders and a high percentage would be keen reloaders.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Once the SAAMI max OAL is exceeded, it becomes a wildcat of sorts. A “Wild Berry” if you will.

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

What can the 458 WM that the 450 NE can’t do with an extended pinky?

For starters, be chambered in a countless number of repeater bolt action rifles.

I can tell you from extensive personal experience that a 460 Wby will deliver top accuracy with loads for the 500 grain bullet from 2000 f/s to 2300 f/s and do it powders like 4064 and from very low pressure to moderate pressure. A 460 will go over 2400 without rouble and with 4064.So pressures at the 2300 f/s level are still very low. That 2000 to 2300 range as you know takes in lower 458 to 458 Lott/450 Ackley ballistics.

HOWEVER, a 460 is not an easy conversion for most rifles and last time I looked 460 brass was a little more expensive than 458 Win brass.

All of the above pretty much true for the 450 Nitro as well.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once the SAAMI max OAL is exceeded, it becomes a wildcat of sorts. A “Wild Berry” if you will.

Not really because the rifle can still be used with factory ammo. The chamber specifications have not been changed.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Just being pedantic Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just being pedantic Wink

Well being pedantic helps get Ron's "mission thread" to 458 pages Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:

Not really because the rifle can still be used with factory ammo. The chamber specifications have not been changed.

So can any AI cartridge chamber rifle. Ditto the .375 WBY. Many of them are SAAMI speced now.

Like I said before, it isn’t unsafe- but that case with that long loaded round won’t function normally in a completely factory rifle from the magazine. Top that off with that you can’t find this information in any powder company’s current web site or published loading manual, you are in no man’s land.

RIP can pull it off safely, as can many here, but would you recommend it to some relative neophyte out in South Africa without benefit of high speed internet and very limited components?

Posts: 10656 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, this is great !
THE MISSION has made real progress !
No longer do they claim the .458 WIN is inferior !
They claim that some other cartridges can be monkeyed with to make them competitive with THE GREATEST, the .458 WIN,
which needs no monkeying with at all, but does benefit greatly by simply having a little extra magazine room.

Mike did a great job of fielding the foul balls.
Buy a buy a donkey, Mike.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The "Exactly Rifle" got out of rehab today:

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
RIP
Would you rather a double in 450 NE or 458 WM?

quote:
Well, this is great !
THE MISSION has made real progress !
No longer do they claim the .458 WIN is inferior !
They claim that some other cartridges can be monkeyed with to make them competitive with THE GREATEST, the .458 WIN,
which needs no monkeying with at all, but does benefit greatly by simply having a little extra magazine room.

Mike did a great job of fielding the foul balls.
Buy a buy a donkey, Mike.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is screaming for a fiber optic front and a peep sight

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIP
Would you rather a double in 450 NE or 458 WM?

One of each please.
A SXS in .450 NE 3.25",
and an O/U in .458 WIN.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is screaming for a fiber optic front and a peep sight

I swore off the fiber-optic front sights after melting one with some stray solvent.
I think this stock will smack me in the face with iron sights.
Scope only on this one,
plus a backup scope.
Always looking for an edge.
I want to start over with 480-grainers at 1300 fps and work my way up again with this rifle.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Red dot sight?
If you are worried about getting beat up, hit the floor and do push ups! Keep that one a sexy stalking rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Red dot sight?
If you are worried about getting beat up, hit the floor and do push ups! Keep that one a sexy stalking rifle.

Hate red dots too, except on handguns for close range.
Pop had me droppin' and givin' him 50 for minor infractions when I was a toddler (spilled milk, etc.),
and I was shooting a 460 Weatherby when you were a toddler, boomie.
I have enough residual musculoskeletal development plus flab that I do not need to worry about the old pectoral pocket,
just the cheekbone with a stock not good for iron sights.
Scope !
Traditional .450 NE ballistics will make a nice stalking load.
I do need to move the forend swivel stud out to the tip so as not to get an owie on my left index finger.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I see a custom leather butt stock ammo holder/cheek pad in your future. Maybe stick this on your stock?
https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scho...ativeASIN=B01MCZFO4P

one of us
posted Hide Post
HA HA !
I was just humoring the gunsmith who talked me out of putting iron sights on the rifle, he said it would slap me in the face with this stock and iron sights.
Probably right.
Wise move and keeps the rifle light.
It will be OVER 7.5 pounds with any kind of additions to the bare/dry/empty rifle.
I really have no worries. It will be 8.5 to 9 pounds when scoped and loaded,
and will have a leather slip-on pad to increase the LOP.
Field-ready, loaded, scoped weight like a standard-weight, iron-sighted .458 WIN rifle.
Very tolerable.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

So can any AI cartridge chamber rifle. Ditto the .375 WBY. Many of them are SAAMI speced now.

Like I said before, it isn’t unsafe- but that case with that long loaded round won’t function normally in a completely factory rifle from the magazine. Top that off with that you can’t find this information in any powder company’s current web site or published loading manual, you are in no man’s land.

RIP can pull it off safely, as can many here, but would you recommend it to some relative neophyte out in South Africa without benefit of high speed internet and very limited components?

The 458 loaded to 3.6" would work from some factory 458s. Unless they have changed the Rem 700 has the 3.6" (actually I think they are 3.65") on all of them and Sako used to be the same.

I can't see anything unsafe in any of the loads in a standard 458, including those with standard length magazine as chamber is the same.

Also what Ron is talking about bears no relationship to firing 375 H&H in 375 Wby/AI etc. He is using standard 458 Winchester chamber and firing his loads and his 458s are no different to a 458 factory rifle off the shelf, except of course those with standard length magazine but that is not a "firing issue" but a loading the magazine issue.

Simply can't see a problem anywhere. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very nice looking rifle. Easy carry.

The only downside on all of this 458Win talk is that the case capacity is on the small-side for a .458" bore, as all of your special options testify, between the lines. It's a shame that the Ruger case was not available in 1956 for a slightly more versatile light-carry rifle.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The only downside on all of this 458Win talk is that the case capacity is on the small-side for a .458" bore, as all of your special options testify, between the lines. It's a shame that the Ruger case was not available in 1956 for a slightly more versatile light-carry rifle.

How would the case capacity of 458 Ruger compare to a 458 Win with 3.6" magazine as Ron is loading.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The 458 loaded to 3.6" would work from some factory 458s. Unless they have changed the Rem 700 has the 3.6" (actually I think they are 3.65") on all of them and Sako used to be the same.

I can't see anything unsafe in any of the loads in a standard 458, including those with standard length magazine as chamber is the same.

Also what Ron is talking about bears no relationship to firing 375 H&H in 375 Wby/AI etc. He is using standard 458 Winchester chamber and firing his loads and his 458s are no different to a 458 factory rifle off the shelf, except of course those with standard length magazine but that is not a "firing issue" but a loading the magazine issue.

Simply can't see a problem anywhere. Big Grin

Simple, they won't feed from the magazine in a Min M70, the namesake rifle. Not unsafe, but the purpose of standards is to ensure it works universally.

If you single load them, yes its safe as long as some nitwit did't short chamber it.

But personally, no way I would hunt DG with a single shot, and if you are carrying 2 types of ammo, sure as god made little green apples, you would try and stuff the wrong thing in at the wrong time.

As I said multiple times, the .458 is a good solid choice in its factory guise... but its hardly the ultimate or the do all; and if your argument about how much better it is than the Lott revolves around using it in a nonstandard way, then you have to use the Lott in a nonstandard way. Increase the throat dimensions and add a rigby length mag box and gee, that Lott can do more than the Win mag if you play the same games with it.

If I ever get a .458 Win Mag (unlikely given what-all I already have, but never say never...) I will use it in its standard guise and not be afraid on any animal that walks the earth... even if I already have rifles that are faster, rifles that throw a bigger bullet, rifles that do both, etc.

As some say here... dead is dead, and a .458 WM isn't going to kill an elephant any deader than a .375 H&H.

If you want one, great!

If you want something else, great!

More fuel to the fire to get this donkey to 458 pages.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

How would the case capacity of 458 Ruger compare to a 458 Win with 3.6" magazine as Ron is loading.

They compare nicely. The 458 Ruger would have about 10-12 grains more capacity whenever loaded to equal depths. The Ruger is a standard-length case, so any time that the WinMag is loaded to extra long seatings, the Ruger can also be loaded to extra long seatings. In an apples to apples comparison the Ruger is the better case and a better design.

In general, as diameters increase, the optimal case capacity needs to increase, too .
The '06 case capacity may be optimal for .264 to .318. For small bore the 308 case is ideal, from .224" to .257". [the 308 works in .264 to .318 bores with lighter bullets, but the '06 case is more versatile at the small-medium bores.] Then, the Ruger case becomes optimal where "magnum" capacity comes into its own, .338" to .458". Where extreme velocity is desired, then the RUM/404 and ultimately the Rigby/460 case capacities come into view, say from .458" and greater.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I said multiple times, the .458 is a good solid choice in its factory guise... but its hardly the ultimate or the do all; and if your argument about how much better it is than the Lott revolves around using it in a nonstandard way, then you have to use the Lott in a nonstandard way. Increase the throat dimensions and add a rigby length mag box and gee, that Lott can do more than the Win mag if you play the same games with it...

Forgive my ignorance, CR, but isn't RIP's argument that the 458WM can be fed long-COL loads without lengthening the throat?

Posts: 4976 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:
As I said multiple times, the .458 is a good solid choice in its factory guise... but its hardly the ultimate or the do all; and if your argument about how much better it is than the Lott revolves around using it in a nonstandard way, then you have to use the Lott in a nonstandard way. Increase the throat dimensions and add a rigby length mag box and gee, that Lott can do more than the Win mag if you play the same games with it...

Forgive my ignorance, CR, but isn't RIP's argument that the 458WM can be fed long-COL loads without lengthening the throat?

Exactly. Ron is all about standard 458 Winchester chamber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike,

Thanks for fielding the fly balls now and then. You do have a good grasp of this, and I do understand how forgettable the .458/.416 Ruger stuff was,
about a hundred pages ago.
If both are allowed maximum brass length, capacities are as follows, to nearest grain of water, gross:

.458 Winchester Magnum, 2.500": 95 grains

.458/.416 Ruger, 2.580": 105 grains

If you allow both to increase from 3.340" to 3.600" COL,
the net case capacity of both will increase by 10.83 grains.

The effective case capacity of the .458 WIN LongCOL 3.6" is almost one grain of water greater than the .458/.416 Ruger at 3.340" COL.

So, of course, the .458/.416 Ruger LongCOL 3.6" is 10 grains bigger in capacity than the .458 WIN LongCOL 3.6".
Which means the .458/.416 Ruger LongCOL 3.6" might have about a 60 fps velocity advantage over the WIN LongCOL, based on a fair-to-middlin' 2400 fps load with the .458 WIN LongCOL 3.6".

I just do not see the .458/.416 Ruger as a worthwhile endeavor if you can have a SAAMI-chambered .458 WIN with a 3.6" magazine length,
which can beat a SAAMI .458 Lott.
horse
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:

When you have a 3.8" box and a bullet long enough to load to 3.780" in the .458 WIN, you have just about reached the end of your rope.
That same bullet cannot be loaded that long in the SAAMI .458 Lott throat, so yes, you do have to lengthen the throat on the Lott ...
make it like the wildcat that Jack Lott built by rechambering .458 WIN rifles with no barrel setback ...
and then you can load it to the same 3.780" length or squeeze it on out another 0.020" in length,
for a BIG IMPROVEMENT !
rotflmo

Paul,

CR is just griping about not being able to magazine load a 3.6" cartridge in a 3.4"-long magazine box. homer

I thank him, and you for supporting THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We are on page 168, discussing a cartridge designed by someone who should have known better.

Like many other cartridges, it works, it does what is supposed to do, but there are so many cartridges better at everything this one does around.

Some of you lot are almost as bad as two drunk blondes at a party fighting over a rich 80 year old man, who is blind, deaf, mute, and wearing an expensive suit! rotflmo