THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
That is a pretty interesting bullet guys. Great work Sam!! I can hardly wait to see how it works out. This would truly be a "system" bullet with the Talon Tips.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:

How does this look to you Boomy?
Sam that is awesome...add the Talon Tips and it would truly be a system bullet!

Edit added: If this goes commercial I recommend that the narrow bands that Dan uses on his FBH bullets be used... And set the top band at each end at the upper location used for the lever action bullets. That way there are plenty of bullet seating depth options for the various cartridges.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
You could have a tipped in the chamber, a hollow point and a solid in the magazine all with the same load and same bullet.
What should this be called? BBW #13 hollow/flat switch point?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Edit added: If this goes commercial I recommend that the narrow bands that Dan uses on his FBH bullets be used... And set the top band at each end at the upper location used for the lever action bullets. That way there are plenty of bullet seating depth options for the various cartridges.

I like your points here about the bands. As long as it chambers well. If Michael is up for the testing we can play with the band design but the performance should be about the same. Great input tu2

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I like your points here about the bands. As long as it chambers well. If Michael is up for the testing we can play with the band design but the performance should be about the same. Great input tu2

Oh don't worry about Michael and testing--It is of course what we do here! Or attempt to do anyway. No man, you can count on me always!!

Boomy, very good idea by the way! Every once and awhile............. HEH..... Backed up by the Ripper as well!

Ya see what can happen when like minds are put together! Amazing is it not? Just an excellent group of chaps I say!

M

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you Michael and Srose we the peanut gallery have an excellent R&D team here!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It looks like the 4 band should work well. Crimp on the top canalure on either tip and have three bands for neck tension. There should be enough bullet lead in any chamber for that to work. I see the 5 skinny band design Idea being excellent as well. Maybe angled top bands like the shark fin band design.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The nose is a little shorter and crimping in the first groove would work fine. I call it the REVERSA BULLET. BBW#13RV

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Lol good one. Whatever the name this switcharoo, two headed hammer, Siamese bullet duo-tipped, double trouble, switch hitter, Gemini, hermaphrodite bullet, I hope works well. How many would be needed for initial testing?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
You could have a tipped in the chamber, a hollow point and a solid in the magazine all with the same load and same bullet.
What should this be called? BBW #13 hollow/flat switch point?

Boom Stick,

Isn't a tipped bullet a hollow point bullet with a tip? The tip extendes the range but the bullet turns into a hollow point upon impact.

If so, a tipped in the chamber with solids in the magazine would seem to me to be the DG set up?

IBT

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Poor PAPI, he is trying his best to lead the ignorant to the light! From Darkness he is doing his best to "Light" their way. But they resist with all their might the light, and remain in darkness!

quote:
From PAPI;
Just an additional " FYI ".. Somebody over on the " Marlin Forum " mentioned " CEB " from a previous posting " I " submitted

So, I follow-up with some additional info on " Marlin Forum " (CEB Website Update" Lever Gun DG Bullets) !!

Low and behold today.. Marlin Forum:
" Sorry PAPI, you are banned from using this forum "

I thought this worthy of mention is all! PAPI must committed "blasphemy" animal

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not realy tooo concerned.. No I'll feelings on my part.... BUT!

They could have sent me an " E-mail " explaining " WHY "..?

I didn't get into debates or pissing contests, with anyone.. I've simply stated a few " FACTS " (quotes) based on the " Testing Information ", with photos.

Everything was " Cool " , up until I posted todays info of the " CEB Website Update ",.. not much more mentioned ?

I just checked " Graybeards ", & I'm still allowed access, as of today.
The only difference, (Graybeard / Marlin).... I didn't post an " Update on CEB Website Info ", on Graybeard's Forum.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/i...topic,123415.30.html

Oh well, I was learning more here @ Accurate Reloading dancing

PAPI

For the record:
I was warned ( e-mail sent from Graybeard )in the past, not to mention/post (links) anything related to " Accurate Reloading " @ Graybeards Forum.

Marlin Owners, ( no warnings received ) might have the same issue's, as Graybeards ... ?

I'm not tooooo bothered ... I'm still posting here Cool

PAPI
NRA : Life Member
fishing

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:
Okay guys,
I was " Banned From Marlin Owner Website " after my last post (« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:34:00 AM »), which is still up !!

Mean 45-70 solid & hollow point bullets:
http://www.marlinowners.com/fo...p/topic,93658.0.html

I'm still a bit confused.. What I did to get Banned from further posting on their site ... ?

PAPI
NRA: Life Member
fishing

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Papi
You shure are spreading the word.
I wonder how the sales of these bullets are going

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAPI:
quote:
I'm not realy tooo concerned.. No I'll feelings on my part.... BUT!

They could have sent me an " E-mail " explaining " WHY "..?

I didn't get into debates or pissing contests, with anyone.. I've simply stated a few " FACTS " (quotes) based on the " Testing Information ", with photos.

Everything was " Cool " , up until I posted todays info of the " CEB Website Update ",.. not much more mentioned ?

I just checked " Graybeards ", & I'm still allowed access, as of today.
The only difference, (Graybeard / Marlin).... I didn't post an " Update on CEB Website Info ", on Graybeard's Forum.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/i...topic,123415.30.html

Oh well, I was learning more here @ Accurate Reloading dancing

PAPI

For the record:
I was warned ( e-mail sent from Graybeard )in the past, not to mention/post (links) anything related to " Accurate Reloading " @ Graybeards Forum.

Marlin Owners, ( no warnings received ) might have the same issue's, as Graybeards ... ?

I'm not tooooo bothered ... I'm still posting here Cool

PAPI
NRA : Life Member
fishing

Several sites of different sorts refuse to permit their members to post references to other sites.
The logic behind that is difficult to understand.
This is the information age! Dictators don't last long! stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand they not wanting to post reference to other sites.. I try to obey everyone's " Rules & Guidelines "(Codes of Conduct) : No foul words / Respect others / No naked pictures of my ex-wife / Nothing evil, etc .... Cool

However,... they could of at least sent me a " warning " not to do so .. whatever the offense may have been ... ?

Graybeard did contact me, and I honored their request; i.e : " Accurate Reloading is a " Banned site " please cease any further post / references / or links ! "

And they " Deleted " all of my posts containing any references / links related to " Accurate Reloading " !

Okay,... I've vented & I'm ready to move on , time to get ready for " WORK " !

PAPI
fishing

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Well PAPI, you are doing the best you can at spreading the word. Best anyone can ask! Unless invited for a special purpose, I just do not have the time to visit other sites. It's all I can do to keep up with what I do anyway! So keep up the good work! "Bring Light to the Darkness" LOL.......

I love buffalo!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael

Beautiful buff in that pic

tu2

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael, you're about one post short of page 185 !!!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
On the picture:

does one shoot through the grass or go for a between the eyes?

maybe depends on being there. If close enough to see the quality of grass, a between the eyes is probably good.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Michael

Beautiful buff in that pic

tu2

SSR

I thought so too, but to me, they all look good enough, at least to shoot! HEH...... Problem is, I already shot my two bulls when we saw this one, or I would have shot him too! But they tell me I must save some buffalo for you guys as well, being the fine, upstanding chap I am, I relented to not shoot. But I wanted to bad, if for no other reason than he was standing there too long! I tell you, it took self control!

Biebs

Will it ever end?

Tanz

I might have to bust through that grass, I don't think it looks too bad. I can't actually recall. But also depends on where you are standing as well, how far in front the grass is. If I were standing to the left more I would have more concerns, standing a bit to the right, it's hammer time! LOL..... Standing straight up in front, I might go for the top of that grass that is laying horizontal across to the right, and be sure to follow up quick!

M

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
M:

Tanz

I might have to bust through that grass, I don't think it looks too bad. I can't actually recall. But also depends on where you are standing as well, how far in front the grass is. If I were standing to the left more I would have more concerns, standing a bit to the right, it's hammer time! LOL..... Standing straight up in front, I might go for the top of that grass that is laying horizontal across to the right, and be sure to follow up quick!

M

Just as long as a grey twig is not sticking up where the grass has a horizontal lay. Two years ago when sighting in my 416 I had a perfect 'sideways' keyhole spin off a few inches from what I hadn't seen. That was a very sobering memory and I try to learn and bring those things to the split-moment decision that makes hunting a growing, learning experience. I've shot through more than my share of grass in the past on non-dangerous game and we grow cautious as we grow wise.

But yes, the grass does look just like grass and the horizontal lay between the nose and bottom of its left horn would be a natural sighting spot.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of andrew500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
quote:
M:

Tanz

M

Just as long as a grey twig is not sticking up where the grass has a horizontal lay. Two years ago when sighting in my 416 I had a perfect 'sideways' keyhole spin off a few inches from what I hadn't seen. That was a very sobering memory and I try to learn and bring those things to the split-moment decision that makes hunting a growing, learning experience. I've shot through more than my share of grass in the past on non-dangerous game and we grow cautious as we grow wise.

But yes, the grass does look just like grass and the horizontal lay between the nose and bottom of its left horn would be a natural sighting spot.

Dont worry about the grass guys,Shoot!!!

Posts: 38 | Location: Zimbabwe Gache Gache. South Africa limpopo | Registered: 28 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must be shooting round noses if they are worried about grass!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andrew500:
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
quote:
M:

Tanz

M

Dont worry about the grass guys,Shoot!!!

rotflmo

HEH HEH---That's my Boy! Shoot'em all, we can sort them out!

animal

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

I know you like NorthForks too and I recently whacked an Albino Scimitar-Horned Oryx with a 250gr NFSS in my 375H&H. Maybe I should have shot it in the ass, then I might have recovered the bullet! Picture and hunt report in American Big Game Hunting forum. I have a bunch of BBW#13 .375 loaded waiting for a range date. I used the densest powder suitable so I could "hop-it-up" a little. I'll let ya'll know how 80gr of AA2460 works out. I am also waiting for a chronograph to arrive.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Must be shooting round noses if they are worried about grass!

NEVER WILL I "POLLUTE" ONE OF MY BELOVED WINCHESTERS WITH SUCH AN ABOMINATION!!!!!!!!

Andy

Excellent. Yes, I am a big North Fork fan as well. Come man, show us a photo of the Oryx!

How did it react taking the shot? What happened afterwards? Report!

Hey I want you guys to go over the B&M site for a bit, look over this new page I put up for Andrew500 the last couple of days! Let me know what you think?

http://www.b-mriflesandcartrid...com/Hunt-Africa.html

Michael

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Michael,
A very well put-together work. Should enhance the site.
Now, a serious question. Do you expect us to believe the very attractive lady in those pictures is your wife?!?!?

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Michael,
A very well put-together work. Should enhance the site.
Now, a serious question. Do you expect us to believe the very attractive lady in those pictures is your wife?!?!?

Max

I thought you met Momma at the dinner last year? She was there? Anyway, yep that is for sure my better half no doubt, never misses a hunting trip either!!!!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Biebs, you were right, turned another page!

Ok, since I don't want this missed and want some feed back from you chaps, please take a look at the page I did for Andrew500 on the B&M Site, let me know what you think. Turning the page I am afraid most will miss it.

Thanks

http://www.b-mriflesandcartrid...com/Hunt-Africa.html

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael, weather report say's you may need to batten down the hatches!

Hang in there!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Nice holes in that Buff's noggin Smiler

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
quote:
We will be looking at a 223 BBW#13 NonCon! And with some tips as well. Not big bore, but maybe we should not tell the bullet that, you know, "Caliber Complex", so please don't mention anything about it being small, or tiny, comments like that. It thinks it's big! So...........

Michael, .223 is a legal Deer caliber here in TN but I'd like to see what they would do on Wolves. I'm looking hard at doing a Wolf hunt in Oct/Nov. Would be interested in trying then in my model 700VS. Keep me posted please. Cheers, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Michael
Stay safe in that hurricane
Maybe see how those tipped bullets buck hurricane winds Smiler

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys! Yep, it's a little "breezy" here, nice rain, good napping weather! Oh, that's exactly what I have been doing as well. I have a tendency to sleep during these little blows. But not to worry, nothing more than a bit breezy with some rain so far. Looks like no more than 50 mph winds tonight, just enough to sleep good. Most off shore and headed North.

David, I will see what I can whip up for you on those wolves!

M

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Michael the website page for Andrew looks very good.

I just thought, I know you’re wet if you go outside but are you nicely chilled yet at the lab and range?

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done DocM

Regards

S

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Full report in American Big Game Hunting forum.

Don't let the fence fool you. This was by no stretch of the imagination a canned hunt. That is a 5ft fence and these critters go under them not over them.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Thanks Eskay! Jim, No air con yet on the range or Lab#2. Figured everything out, start installation Monday Morning! Air Con, next week! Get more use next year looks like, not as hot as it has been, low 90s now!

Speaking of weather, storm has moved on past us here, just getting the backside now, little wind and rain, not much of that. 12 noon today, it will be done in my part of the world. Still dark here, can't really see, but don't think there is much more than a few limbs off the trees here. Nothing much to worry with. I think our neighbors up in NC are getting ready to catch some however! Good luck up there!

Andy well done! Nice looking critter! Hey, next time try to get the marks off the neck where the collar was! rotflmo HEH HEH.....

No man, just kidding! I tell all my guys, have them tied up so we can quickly get the hunting part over with so we can fall in on the beer! HEH HEH HEH........

Hey, you ain't no small boy there I see! Not even sure why you have a rifle, just grab hold of them and choke'em down!

Very good, thanks for bringing it down. Will check your report out upstairs.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Storm passing us now and I'm on the backside. Had about 4 inches of rain which I needed and not too much wind damage. Nice hurricane! Could have been a lot worse.