THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    $70,000 Scam involving Blair Worldwide Hunting.
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 38

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$70,000 Scam involving Blair Worldwide Hunting.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
BWW was not a party to the litigation. He has not been effected by the litigation directly.

I doubt they have made much progress in collecting the judgments. The judgments totaled well over $200,000.

The judgments are as follows:

Henriksen $70,000 plus costs and interest
Manning $49,000 plus costs and interest
Osuchowski $61,026 plus costs and interest
Peterson $48,000 plus costs and interest

Over what period of time did these losses occur and was blair the agent for all involved? I would think he'd be the first person to find out if a hunter wasn't satisfied(translate: robbed) yet he kept using heathington as a front to steal client's money?

I'd bet scum #1 doesn't have a pot to piss in in terms of recovering funds......but if scum #2 remains in business he must have some assets, no?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would guess you are right about Heathington. Let me stress the word guess. BWW is not a party to these. All judgments were against Heathington and/or Sheet LTD. There are no judgments against BWW.

BWW booked at least 2 of the trips. Some do not mention who the trips were booked through.

All of the lawsuits were filed in 2010.

I have not been able to check but I think I am missing the documents on one of the lawsuits.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, seems Blair registered his enterprise in AZ under Blair Worldwide Enterprises. It does show up on the AZ Sec of State website:

http://starpas.azcc.gov/script...649&type=CORPORATION

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Norton what web site would you go to to get the info on these judgements? There are two more in the works that are addition to your post $110,000 and $7500. These hunters are still waiting to file. This all happened in 2010 and 2011.

posted Hide Post
I have also been told that Ted Turners boy was also ripped off by Heathington for half of a sheep hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wild blue yonder:
Hey Norton what web site would you go to to get the info on these judgements? There are two more in the works that are addition to your post $110,000 and $7500. These hunters are still waiting to file. This all happened in 2010 and 2011.

You might direct that question to Larry Shores as he did the footwork to get that particular info. Others above in the thread have gathered a great deal of info as well.....I've just been responding to what they've provided.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BLAIR WORLDWIDE:
This posting is in response to the allegations which have been lodged incorrectly against Blair Worldwide Hunting on this forum and others.

Dr. Brent Henriksen and his brother, Mr. Tyler Henriksen purchased a desert bighorn sheep hunt on December 11, 2008, as a Christmas present for their father, Lonnie Henriksen. The Henriksen sons had been searching the internet for sheep hunts and a friend of their fathers referred them to Blair WorldWide. Lonnie had booked hunts with Blair WorldWide Hunting in the past. The contract provided that Lonnie Henriksen had a choice of outfitters from which to choose. It was determined by Lonnie Henriksen that he would hunt desert bighorn sheep, coues deer and bring his wife as a non-hunter with Sheep LTD, owned by Larry Heathington, who at the time, had an excellent reputation as a sheep hunter and guide and had guided many of the Governor’s tags for sheep.

As the booking agent, Blair WorldWide Hunting, pursuant to the requirements of the contract, sent the vast majority of the money Larry Heathington, who was the contracted hunter with Sheep LTD. Blair WorldWide, as a booking agent, is in a similar position to a travel agent that books travel on an airline or a cruise ship. When a ticket is purchased, the majority of the money goes to the airline or the cruise line and the booking agent retains a commission fee. It is the responsibility of the airline or the cruise ship to provide the services.

In this instance, it was the responsibility, and remains the responsibility of Larry Heathington, to provide the sheep hunts which were the subject of the contract. At the time the contract was entered into, the Henriksen’s were advised by Blair WorldWide, through the contract and via a trip insurance brochure, to buy trip insurance in the event that there was a problem with the hunt. The Henriksen’s chose not to do so. The fact that the majority of the Henriksens’ money was forwarded to Larry Heathington has been established conclusively by providing the Henriksen’s, and their attorney with copies of the cancelled checks from Blair WorldWide to Larry Heathington.

After the hunt was booked, Lonnie Henriksen and Larry Heathington spoke at length, several times before the contracted start of the hunt. After the original hunt date of January 2010 did not occur, conversations between Mr. Henriksen and Mr. Heathington continued well into March 2010 in regards to the new dates and location of the desert big horn sheep hunt. For reasons which were not entirely clear to Blair WorldWide at the time, or to anyone for that matter, Larry Heathington has reneged on his promise to conduct, not only the Henriksen hunt, but other clients hunts as well. It was later disclosed by Mr. Heathington and Sheep LTD that he did not conduct the hunts contracted for due to health issues (See Sheep LTD’s website). The bottom line is that the dispute is properly between the Henriksen’s and Mr. Heathington, the outfitter.

Blair WorldWide did take extra steps in attempting to help the Henriksen’s recovery their money even though Blair WorldWide, as a booking agent, has no obligation both contractually or ethically to do so. Blair WorldWide contacted Mr. Heathington on several occasions and strongly urged him to return the monies for the clients who did not receive their contracted hunts. When
those attempts failed, Blair WorldWide consistently assisted the Henriksen’s attorney in attempting to recover the money paid to Mr. Heathington through a civil lawsuit. In short, Blair WorldWide has done everything required of it, both legally and ethically, to assist not only the Henriksen’s, but also other clients, who contracted with Sheep LTD.
Blair WorldWide sincerely wishes that, not only Mr. Heathington and Sheep LTD, but all outfitters would provide the services that they contract for. However, in the real world, such is not always the case. Blair WorldWide has taken significant care to ensure that outfitters with whom clients are contracted provide good and legitimate services. Despite such care, every once in a while, an outfitter for a variety of reasons fails to perform. This is why trip insurance is recommended for all hunting and fishing trips booked. It is always clearly stated in all of Blair WorldWide contracts that the services contracted for are the sole and exclusive responsibility of the outfitter. Blair WorldWide sincerely hopes that the Henriksen’s recover their money from the person who possesses it -- That is Larry Heathington.

Any allegations that Blair WorldWide, in any fashion, deprived the Henriksen’s or any other party of their money improperly, illegally, or unethically, is simply untrue. The Henriksen’s have retained counsel to attempt to recover their money from Mr. Heathington and Sheep LTD. The
Henriksen’s have not, and cannot, legally claim that Blair WorldWide has withheld any of the funds owed to them by Mr. Heathington.

In sum, despite the unwarranted allegations to the contrary, Blair WorldWide acted at all times in an honest, professional, and ethical manner and any allegations to the contrary are not true

http://www.blairworldwide.com/.../SHEEPLTDWEBPAGE.htm

The only person you have convinced after all of this is yourself, you lying POS!

bsflag

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, seems Blair registered his enterprise in AZ under Blair Worldwide Enterprises. It does show up on the AZ Sec of State website:

AZ, that listing seems to have disappeared from that website.

quote:
The page you requested was not found on this server. Please use the "General Instructions" or "STARPAS Main Menu" buttons below and begin your search from there.

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is some sad story. It seems to defeat the purpose of going thru a Booking Agent, if they are not going to protect the hunter financially and instead become pert of the problem.

There is no substitute for doing your own research. As we see here, in the end, you are the one who will be responsible for what goes wrong financially.

Disgusting....

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by someoldguy:
quote:

quote:
The page you requested was not found on this server. Please use the "General Instructions" or "STARPAS Main Menu" buttons below and begin your search from there.

You are correct; it was there when I posted it. I just did another search on Blair Worldwide Enterprises and it said no match found.

The obvious conclusion is that Blair is watching this thread minute by minute.

My neighbor called yesterday; seems his attorney was over and wanted to see my trophy room. While he was over, I gave him a brief summary of this. Now, the guy specializes in trust law, but he said it would seem some fraud laws have been broken.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw it myself. It was definitely there .

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this one:

Listed on the AZ Corp Commission as Blair World Enterprises.

Looks like he has been late filing his annual report several times; ahh, LLCs are so much easier, Jeff.

One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by someoldguy:
quote:

quote:

You are correct; it was there when I posted it. I just did another search on Blair Worldwide Enterprises and it said no match found.

The obvious conclusion is that Blair is watching this thread minute by minute.

My neighbor called yesterday; seems his attorney was over and wanted to see my trophy room. While he was over, I gave him a brief summary of this. Now, the guy specializes in trust law, but he said it would seem some fraud laws have been broken.

I believed you the first time, AZ. I just thought it was puzzling why someone may have removed it. Strange case all the way around.

Glenn

posted Hide Post
It is time to see if the FBI would be interested in these cases. There is documentation, filed judgements, etc. Heck, when a contractor takes a deposit for a job and takes off. The news paper,attorney general and a judge is envolved. The end result, pay it back or go to jail. Usually, a payment arrangement is made.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
This posting is in response to the allegations which have been lodged incorrectly against Blair Worldwide Hunting on this forum and others.

Dr. Brent Henriksen and his brother, Mr. Tyler Henriksen purchased a desert bighorn sheep hunt on December 11, 2008, as a Christmas present for their father, Lonnie Henriksen. The Henriksen sons had been searching the internet for sheep hunts and a friend of their fathers referred them to Blair WorldWide. Lonnie had booked hunts with Blair WorldWide Hunting in the past. The contract provided that Lonnie Henriksen had a choice of outfitters from which to choose. It was determined by Lonnie Henriksen that he would hunt desert bighorn sheep, coues deer and bring his wife as a non-hunter with Sheep LTD, owned by Larry Heathington, who at the time, had an excellent reputation as a sheep hunter and guide and had guided many of the Governor’s tags for sheep.

As the booking agent, Blair WorldWide Hunting, pursuant to the requirements of the contract, sent the vast majority of the money Larry Heathington, who was the contracted hunter with Sheep LTD. Blair WorldWide, as a booking agent, is in a similar position to a travel agent that books travel on an airline or a cruise ship. When a ticket is purchased, the majority of the money goes to the airline or the cruise line and the booking agent retains a commission fee. It is the responsibility of the airline or the cruise ship to provide the services.

In this instance, it was the responsibility, and remains the responsibility of Larry Heathington, to provide the sheep hunts which were the subject of the contract. At the time the contract was entered into, the Henriksen’s were advised by Blair WorldWide, through the contract and via a trip insurance brochure, to buy trip insurance in the event that there was a problem with the hunt. The Henriksen’s chose not to do so. The fact that the majority of the Henriksens’ money was forwarded to Larry Heathington has been established conclusively by providing the Henriksen’s, and their attorney with copies of the cancelled checks from Blair WorldWide to Larry Heathington.

After the hunt was booked, Lonnie Henriksen and Larry Heathington spoke at length, several times before the contracted start of the hunt. After the original hunt date of January 2010 did not occur, conversations between Mr. Henriksen and Mr. Heathington continued well into March 2010 in regards to the new dates and location of the desert big horn sheep hunt. For reasons which were not entirely clear to Blair WorldWide at the time, or to anyone for that matter, Larry Heathington has reneged on his promise to conduct, not only the Henriksen hunt, but other clients hunts as well. It was later disclosed by Mr. Heathington and Sheep LTD that he did not conduct the hunts contracted for due to health issues (See Sheep LTD’s website). The bottom line is that the dispute is properly between the Henriksen’s and Mr. Heathington, the outfitter.

Blair WorldWide did take extra steps in attempting to help the Henriksen’s recovery their money even though Blair WorldWide, as a booking agent, has no obligation both contractually or ethically to do so. Blair WorldWide contacted Mr. Heathington on several occasions and strongly urged him to return the monies for the clients who did not receive their contracted hunts. When
those attempts failed, Blair WorldWide consistently assisted the Henriksen’s attorney in attempting to recover the money paid to Mr. Heathington through a civil lawsuit. In short, Blair WorldWide has done everything required of it, both legally and ethically, to assist not only the Henriksen’s, but also other clients, who contracted with Sheep LTD.
Blair WorldWide sincerely wishes that, not only Mr. Heathington and Sheep LTD, but all outfitters would provide the services that they contract for. However, in the real world, such is not always the case. Blair WorldWide has taken significant care to ensure that outfitters with whom clients are contracted provide good and legitimate services. Despite such care, every once in a while, an outfitter for a variety of reasons fails to perform. This is why trip insurance is recommended for all hunting and fishing trips booked. It is always clearly stated in all of Blair WorldWide contracts that the services contracted for are the sole and exclusive responsibility of the outfitter. Blair WorldWide sincerely hopes that the Henriksen’s recover their money from the person who possesses it -- That is Larry Heathington.

Any allegations that Blair WorldWide, in any fashion, deprived the Henriksen’s or any other party of their money improperly, illegally, or unethically, is simply untrue. The Henriksen’s have retained counsel to attempt to recover their money from Mr. Heathington and Sheep LTD. The
Henriksen’s have not, and cannot, legally claim that Blair WorldWide has withheld any of the funds owed to them by Mr. Heathington.

In sum, despite the unwarranted allegations to the contrary, Blair WorldWide acted at all times in an honest, professional, and ethical manner and any allegations to the contrary are not true

http://www.blairworldwide.com/.../SHEEPLTDWEBPAGE.htm

Your were paid for a hunt, the hunt never took place and not through any fault of the client. YOU HAVE EARNED NO MONEY and are not entitiled to the commission

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:

Blair WorldWide sincerely hopes that the Henriksen’s recover their money from the person who possesses it -- That is Larry Heathington.

You know, the more I read this the madder I get.

MR. BLAIR, YOU POSSESS SOME OF THE HENRIKSEN'S MONEY!!!

By you own admission, you hope they get their money back. All you had to do was refund your "commission" and the surcharge you tacked on would have been nice. From Mr. Sellers research, that's about another $20,000.

But no, you chose this BS route. How's that working for ya?

I heard your business is not doing so well right now.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys the friend of mine who is an FBI agent just e-mailed me and gave me this advice.He said make law enforcement know about what is happening. First make a police report to the local authorities. The more people that do this the better. We have 4 guys that have judgements. Lets start with them. All you guys file a grand larceny report against Heathington and Blair. Do it at the sheriff or state police station. Next, VERY IMPORTANT! file another with the FBI go to this web site ic3.com and fill out the info and send it on.Do not be bashful, be specific and factual. I was told if there is more than $50,000 stolen the FBI will be interested. They may take it on themselves or pass it on to another agency. The great thing is the FBI will monitor the outcome to see what is being done. This is the "BROKEN ARROW" call. We may not get a dime. But we will burn Heatington, Blair, their families, and anyone connected. They will all have to testify to what they know. Where did the money go?I left out other peoples names on purpose. LOL I have a list. Well I have been just waiting.Reading these post. Thank you guys for all the help. Thanks for the imput. Do your homehome.Now start reporting to the local authorities in Arizona. I am not sure what jurisdiction,ask your attorneys they are in Flagstaff you paid them. They would know. The FBI is nationwide, they will send it to their office in Phoenix to investigate. Do not get discouraged I have more. All in good time. Stay with me guys I need everyone who has a ligitimate claim to file. You do not have to have a judgement. They are interested in the total amount scamed. The more the better, bigger headlines. You know what I mean. The birthday present tell them that. But please the facts only the facts. That is great headlines after the facts. Once this gets out everyone will know family, friends children etc Are you all with me? Are we going to nuke the bastards? Are we going to let them get away with this? Now go and fill out those police reports, Fill out the ic3.com report. Lets get the ball rolling.I have done the homework Enough of the lawsuit bull shit. I will be waiting for your reports gentlemen.Do not let me down. This is real. Will check back on progress. Regards and Happy Hunting.

posted Hide Post
Blair and BWW is very foolish with his statement. For that commission, you would jeapordize your whole operation. The gentlemen paid you $70,000 you took your fee and sent the rest on. I get that.Keeping the money is just Bad PR. I do not even know these guys. Have you read the other posts? Hey you make the call. It is your busines. How much in lawyers fees are you going to pay to protect your company. It cosy me $5000 to get a judgement on Heathington. Thats on top of the cost of a sheep hunt . Read my previous post. That will start you thinking. Heathington may be the cause but you are involved.Did you get his current Insurance and liability insurance, how about a performance bond? Bet you forgot! WoW! Thinking yet? Hey, I am on a roll. Just think, I am not even a lawyer. I got 5 that work for me. I am not even done yet. I got to get everyone to file a police report. Wait after that. Oh, when you return the nice guys money, and that nice womans pleas to get their money back.Sad, I read there complaint.That is the legal story on how they got robbed. Do not forget, have them sign a release from litigation form.If you did this earlier, you would not be involved. You would even look alot better to all the people that are reading this. Think outside the box. Hey, If you send these gentlemen the money maybe they will send me a finders fee. Just thinking.Let me know. These freaking lawyers cost me plenty. Too bad they are not criminal lawyers.It makes fun time during lunch when they break my balls about getting ripped off. However, they are full of ideas.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
BWW was not a party to the litigation. He has not been effected by the litigation directly.

I doubt they have made much progress in collecting the judgments. The judgments totaled well over $200,000.

Does anybody know if the other people listed here are aware of this thread?

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
All judgments were against Heathington and/or Sheet LTD.

Larry, if this was a typo, it was amazingly accurate. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typo. Lol!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a pretty amazing story on many levels.

First and foremost is seems to be the exception that proves the rule; there are two sides to every story. I keep waiting for the other side to come up but have given up hope.

What an unbelievably poor business decision by Jeff Blair. In a service industry ultimately all you have to sell is your name and reputation. The fact that he so foolishly risked it here, for what can't be a large sum to him, makes me wonder if he isn't on the way out anyway. Retirement, perhaps?

I am curious about the alleged "tack on" fee that keeps being discussed. I noticed that Blair didn't address that in his posts. In his shoes, assuming innocence, I would have addressed that front and center. If you operate a business and your typical and customary fee as established by prior practice and industry standard is a percentage of the sale it is fraudulent to tack on extra charges. Certainly it is unethical. If the US Mail was involved to send or receive checks or other forms of monies then mail fraud is involved and that gets the Feds involved. Seems kind of odd that it wasn’t addressed because that is the one area where contractually they could have some exposure.

PS I booked one hunt with them but soured on them when they attempted to sell me an email subscription of discounted hunts they had available.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
I am curious about the alleged "tack on" fee that keeps being discussed. I noticed that Blair didn't address that in his posts. In his shoes, assuming innocence, I would have addressed that front and center. If you operate a business and your typical and customary fee as established by prior practice and industry standard is a percentage of the sale it is fraudulent to tack on extra charges. Certainly it is unethical. If the US Mail was involved to send or receive checks or other forms of monies then mail fraud is involved and that gets the Feds involved. Seems kind of odd that it wasn’t addressed because that is the one area where contractually they could have some exposure.

My guess, and its only a guess, is that Blair will somehow try to manupilate the "tack on" fee to somehow be a victim. He'll try to claim that the hunt was $70,000 and the "tack on" fee is BS. I would guess that this is why it wasnt addressed. Pure speculation on my part but I could see somebody like him doing that.

If you break down the cost of everything I just cant get $70,000 for this hunt. There was mention of an added coues deer hunt and a non-hunting guest. I would NEVER charge for a non-hunting guest due to the high price of the hunt but lets just say they charged an extra $250/day, for a 10 day hunt, thats only $2500. Any outfitter down there would throw in a Coues for just an added trophy fee. Hell, a fully guided hunt is $4500 for a coues in a lot of places so lets just give those scumbags Heathington and Blair the benefit of the doubt and tack on the additional $4500. Thats $7000 in "add-ons" on top of the sheep hunt. Fair market value of a sheep hunt is what Heathington obviously charged these guys...

quote:

Lets throw out the judgement for Osuchowski because nobody is going to have an odd number like that for the cost of a hunt, he obviously tallied everything up to come to that number so its not a true indicator of the exact face value of the actual hunt.

This leaves us with two hunts, one for $48,000 and one for $49,000 that Heathington was charging for these sheep hunts. Again, Lets give Blair the benefit of the doubt and make it an even $50,000 for the hunt and the grossly inflated number of $7000 for the coues deer and non-hunting guest. Thats $57,000 and thats literally adding thousands to what an honest person would charge.

In my opinion he saw a couple of young guys wanting to do something amazing for their father and he absolutely screwed them for every cent he could. The more I look at I feel like Blair probably upcharged more than $10K but again, this is my opinion.

Dont forget that Heathington claimed that he only made $500 on the whole deal. These sons a bitches should have been magicians because they've made a pile of money just disappear

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you actually get to a trial, or other settlments, whether Blair tacked on might become an issue if it not listed in his contract and agreed to by the buyers. In essence the contract details have to be known and agreed to by the parties. But you will need more than that to get to there.

What I find the most troubling is in considering the Blair business issue as reported is that these were REPEAT customers. Big ticket repeat customers. Is this how you treat them? And deal with them? I think the BWW information I saw said something to the effect of relax and we will take care of all the details. Well maybe not quite. If it is true that the Blair response was anything like "bring it on", then I hope that the injured parties do that to the fullest to all parties deemed to not provide the required services. The issue might should then become did he know, should he have known, and what steps did he take to protect his contract hunters paid interest as it relates to the other party. Not just his own fee.

His lawyers carefully constructed response posted here talks around a lot of what might be considered at issue points. While it sounds good, and I believe is truthful in that he did make some efforts, it still proposes a pass the buck we are not involved view. That is difficult to accept even with the conditions of the trip insurance.

I truly hope that this works out a lot better for all the parties than what is been reported here so far.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drummond:

Osuchkowski paid $55,000 for his hunt. He booked directly with Heathington. BWW was not involved in this case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Drummond:

Osuchkowski paid $55,000 for his hunt. He booked directly with Heathington. BWW was not involved in this case.

Thanks Larry,

$55k + $7k = $62,000 at the most and thats giving that POS Blair the benefit of the doubt and really inflating the"add-ons" IMO. No responsible booking agent would allow a customer, especially a repeat customer, to take a financial beating like this on a hunt.

Says a lot about Blair, I wonder what his next move is going to be.

posted Hide Post
In response to the question on coues deer--there were no fees charged upfront. It was agreed with Heathington that there would be a $3000 trophy fee after collected.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by northface:
In response to the question on coues deer--there were no fees charged upfront. It was agreed with Heathington that there would be a $3000 trophy fee after collected.

Did he tell you all what he was charging for a non-hunting guest?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
$70,000 USD?

Really....

Really?

Not a typo?

$70K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The number is correct. Granted, they probably paid too much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what the contract says, for someone to take a commission on a service that was reneged on is unethical.

Blair's letter says they have no ethical obligation to help recover the money. Wasn't Blair that hooked the hunter up with the unethical Outfitter in the first place.

Could the hunter have done any worse on his own without any help from Blair at all ?

If the Booking Agent is not going to help protect their hunter, why would anyone ever use a Booking Agent then. Unbeleivable.

BTT for the Outfitter and Booking Agent who give our industry a black eye.

Cold Zero

posted Hide Post
Let me tell you my experience with Blair World Wide Hunting.
This has been a few years ago. I booked a hunt in Africa with them and sent a deposit. The country that I booked the hunt in closed thier borders to hunting a few months later. I called Blair's and told them, they didn't even know about it. They asked me if I wanted to apply it to another hunt a year or so down the road. They felt that they country would open up again.
That's when I smelled the rat. I asked for my money back. It has been my experience when things start to go bad time is not on your side. Blair's declined to give me any money back, and when I asked for the PH's name and number I never did get it. I still don't know if any money made it to Africa.
Blair's were given a thumbs up by SCI, a man by the first name of Grey is who I taked to if I remember right. I also called other references and researched them on the web, and they seemed ok.
I filed a complanit with SCI and didn't hear back from they for several months. When I called them they said that thier complanit department was in the process of moving and my case got lost in the shuffle. Several weeks later they called me and said they found no wrong doing on BWW's part. A while after that SCI called and wanted me to renew my membership. Can you believe it?

The bottom line is this. Blair kept all my money and I got squat. SCI was not at all helpful. I did do research before I sent the deposit. And guess what trip insurance does not cover every item.

This sounds a lot like the original post becuase I feel this is a pattern with BWW. I am sure there are a lot of other people out there who will say the same thing. The only thing I can be thankful for is the amount I lost is a lot less than some others have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has been a very interesting thread. Some times I'm glad I'm not "well to do".

Posts: 277 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blair's were given a thumbs up by SCI, a man by the first name of Grey is who I taked to if I remember right. I also called other references and researched them on the web, and they seemed ok. I filed a complanit with SCI and didn't hear back from they for several months. When I called them they said that thier complanit department was in the process of moving and my case got lost in the shuffle. Several weeks later they called me and said they found no wrong doing on BWW's part. A while after that SCI called and wanted me to renew my membership. Can you believe it?

SCI's "complaint department" has always been its Ethics Committee, which consists of volunteers (usually attorneys) appointed by the club's presidents. "Gray" had to be Gray Thornton, who was SCI's membership director for several years before leaving to become executive director of the Dallas Safari Club.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Gato - Sorry, I have no idea about the $500.00 question, but will not comment further so as to keep the thread on track as suggested by some here. Roll Eyes

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
I know him, what is it you think he would be interested in? He fries a lot of really "BIG" fish, don't know if this would be in that catagory?

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Too bad no one knows Stossel, he seems like he might be interested.

Well, probably you're right, it's only a few hundred thousand dollars, certainly less than a million. It just seems to me he sometimes steps outside of the box and might have been interested in how people can be screwed out of so much money and the legal system seems to ignore it. After all, he's never done an episode on SCI either as far as I can tell. Tell me is it true that it takes $500 to file an ethics charge with SCI now?

Larry,

Gato is 100% correct, one of the major reasons I left SCI is the "Ethics Process"

Steve

Not to get completely off subject, but what does anyone expect from an organization that recognizes and awards pen shot game.

As to the purpose of this thread, I find it comforting that there are people who have contributed to this thread that seek the truth and ethical treatment of others. The peer process is always the most fair process.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I wonder,did everybody get taken,or just those who could afford it?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Being able to afford a expensive hunt does not justify stealing.

Posts: 1285 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
I agree totally. These guys aren't exactly Robin Hood and his Merry Men.

Glenn

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
quote:

Being able to afford a expensive hunt does not justify stealing.
no,certainly not.But it would show intent.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone that can hunt in Africa or Europe is "wealthy" by any standard. A $70K hunt is not "huge" in terms of guided exotic hunts when you consider that this was for 2 people.

Stealing is stealing and whether or not the victim was "wealthy" is not the issue.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote