THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    $70,000 Scam involving Blair Worldwide Hunting.
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 38

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$70,000 Scam involving Blair Worldwide Hunting.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I'd have to say, Mr. Blair, your are not doing the right thing. I'm VERY small time as far as a booking agent and I don't condone the path you take.

I've been there, had an African outfitter run off with a large deposit. I was more than embarrassed. In fact I was mortified as I had worked with the PH for five years. The Fugger turned out to have a Heroin issue. Yep, pretty bad when you think you know someone...

Needless, I returned all of the money to my client (who is a long time AR member) out of my own slim pocket. Even though he was happy (and never booked another hunt from me) I could sleep at night.

People with true medical issues don't do what your outfitter did. Those with drug or alcohol problems DO. I think you know that. One must do what is right.

Just the difference between me and you, I guess...

Ann, I think you just moved up to the big time. Jeff Blair is now small time.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From Blair Worldwide Hunting's website:

quote:
Our agency will assist you with all aspects of your trip. From applying for your permits, assisting with travel routes - right down to what to pack. We want you as a client for a lifetime and no detail is left to chance.

There are no gambles when you book with Blair WorldWide Hunting. Our Outfitters are the best in the business and go the extra distance for all of our hunters.

Yep, as long as nothing goes wrong.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
From Blair Worldwide Hunting's website:

quote:
Our agency will assist you with all aspects of your trip. From applying for your permits, assisting with travel routes - right down to what to pack. We want you as a client for a lifetime and no detail is left to chance.

There are no gambles when you book with Blair WorldWide Hunting. Our Outfitters are the best in the business and go the extra distance for all of our hunters.

Yep, as long as nothing goes wrong.

It just hit me like a hammer in the forehead:

There are NO gambles when you book with Jeff Blair - as long as you ARE Jeff Blair.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone else, except for one thing.. You can´t say it´s Blair fault these two men bought a sheep tag for 70K when you can have em for 35K somewhere else. (You can buy a ele hunt in the Save Conservancy for 15K and a few clicks to the east they can cost well over 100K... what I understand is that Blair and Heathington had a very good record with big sheeps etc before these shameless events and thats why they could have a higher price.

Anyway do the right thing Blair pay the man all the money you got and maybe maybe people will forget about this in a couple of years, or this thread and many more will never leave the first page.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
- It is no use saying, 'We are doing our best.' You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.

Sir Winston Churchill

I collect quotations and that is a superb use of one that applies to Jeff Blair. Well done.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BLAIR WORLDWIDE:
This posting is in response to the allegations which have been lodged incorrectly against Blair Worldwide Hunting on this forum and others.

Dr. Brent Henriksen and his brother, Mr. Tyler Henriksen purchased a desert bighorn sheep hunt on December 11, 2008, as a Christmas present for their father, Lonnie Henriksen. The Henriksen sons had been searching the internet for sheep hunts and a friend of their fathers referred them to Blair WorldWide. Lonnie had booked hunts with Blair WorldWide Hunting in the past. The contract provided that Lonnie Henriksen had a choice of outfitters from which to choose. It was determined by Lonnie Henriksen that he would hunt desert bighorn sheep, coues deer and bring his wife as a non-hunter with Sheep LTD, owned by Larry Heathington, who at the time, had an excellent reputation as a sheep hunter and guide and had guided many of the Governor’s tags for sheep.

As the booking agent, Blair WorldWide Hunting, pursuant to the requirements of the contract, sent the vast majority of the money Larry Heathington, who was the contracted hunter with Sheep LTD. Blair WorldWide, as a booking agent, is in a similar position to a travel agent that books travel on an airline or a cruise ship. When a ticket is purchased, the majority of the money goes to the airline or the cruise line and the booking agent retains a commission fee. It is the responsibility of the airline or the cruise ship to provide the services.

In this instance, it was the responsibility, and remains the responsibility of Larry Heathington, to provide the sheep hunts which were the subject of the contract. At the time the contract was entered into, the Henriksen’s were advised by Blair WorldWide, through the contract and via a trip insurance brochure, to buy trip insurance in the event that there was a problem with the hunt. The Henriksen’s chose not to do so. The fact that the majority of the Henriksens’ money was forwarded to Larry Heathington has been established conclusively by providing the Henriksen’s, and their attorney with copies of the cancelled checks from Blair WorldWide to Larry Heathington.

After the hunt was booked, Lonnie Henriksen and Larry Heathington spoke at length, several times before the contracted start of the hunt. After the original hunt date of January 2010 did not occur, conversations between Mr. Henriksen and Mr. Heathington continued well into March 2010 in regards to the new dates and location of the desert big horn sheep hunt. For reasons which were not entirely clear to Blair WorldWide at the time, or to anyone for that matter, Larry Heathington has reneged on his promise to conduct, not only the Henriksen hunt, but other clients hunts as well. It was later disclosed by Mr. Heathington and Sheep LTD that he did not conduct the hunts contracted for due to health issues (See Sheep LTD’s website). The bottom line is that the dispute is properly between the Henriksen’s and Mr. Heathington, the outfitter.

Blair WorldWide did take extra steps in attempting to help the Henriksen’s recovery their money even though Blair WorldWide, as a booking agent, has no obligation both contractually or ethically to do so. Blair WorldWide contacted Mr. Heathington on several occasions and strongly urged him to return the monies for the clients who did not receive their contracted hunts. When
those attempts failed, Blair WorldWide consistently assisted the Henriksen’s attorney in attempting to recover the money paid to Mr. Heathington through a civil lawsuit. In short, Blair WorldWide has done everything required of it, both legally and ethically, to assist not only the Henriksen’s, but also other clients, who contracted with Sheep LTD.
Blair WorldWide sincerely wishes that, not only Mr. Heathington and Sheep LTD, but all outfitters would provide the services that they contract for. However, in the real world, such is not always the case. Blair WorldWide has taken significant care to ensure that outfitters with whom clients are contracted provide good and legitimate services. Despite such care, every once in a while, an outfitter for a variety of reasons fails to perform. This is why trip insurance is recommended for all hunting and fishing trips booked. It is always clearly stated in all of Blair WorldWide contracts that the services contracted for are the sole and exclusive responsibility of the outfitter. Blair WorldWide sincerely hopes that the Henriksen’s recover their money from the person who possesses it -- That is Larry Heathington.

Any allegations that Blair WorldWide, in any fashion, deprived the Henriksen’s or any other party of their money improperly, illegally, or unethically, is simply untrue. The Henriksen’s have retained counsel to attempt to recover their money from Mr. Heathington and Sheep LTD. The
Henriksen’s have not, and cannot, legally claim that Blair WorldWide has withheld any of the funds owed to them by Mr. Heathington.

In sum, despite the unwarranted allegations to the contrary, Blair WorldWide acted at all times in an honest, professional, and ethical manner and any allegations to the contrary are not true

http://www.blairworldwide.com/.../SHEEPLTDWEBPAGE.htm

Looking at the verbage and syntax, $100 says this was written and submitted by Skip (or current counsel), not Blair. Didn't even have the balls to come here and defend himself in person but sent a messenger boy.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hats off to Ann and all, which I hope is most, of the booking agents who do the right thing. I was brought up in the East Texas and North Louisiana oil patch when a man's word and doing the right thing was the only thing that counted. I can't remember the number of times my Daddy told me, as he was fixing a mistake or some screw up that cost him a lot of hard earned money back when money was harder to come by, "Son, we do what we say we'll do if it takes hair, hide, and all."

This is another example from a post on 24hr: (PS: I have absolutely nothing to do with Atcheson or his agency, don't even know them)

quote:
The only agent I've used is Atcheson, so I don't know how others compare. Keith has always given me the name and number of the outfitter to call and ask questions and make sure every thing is how I want it before any money or paper work is done.

I have used him four times. Three were great hunts that were as advertised. The other hunt was a Scottish stag hunt that was canceled because the outfitter went out of business. Keith called me the day he found out and sent a check that week refunding 100% of my money.

Mr. Blair, there's legal (which I have my doubts as to whether you're legal or not) and there's right. You may be legal, but you damn sure are not right.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
tiggertate:

I thought the same thing. It has lawyer written all over it. I also note that now on his web site Blair WW has an admonition to buy cancellation insurance. I don't recall it being there before, but it might have been.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
tiggertate:

I thought the same thing. It has lawyer written all over it. I also note that now on his web site Blair WW has an admonition to buy cancellation insurance. I don't recall it being there before, but it might have been.

I agree! It was this sentence that gave it away for me...

"pursuant to the requirements of the contract"

I was talking with a fellow AR member and told him that I thought an attorney wrote it

Again, Jeff, I will email this to everybody I know, I will ask them to email it to everybody they know. This is gonna go "viral"!

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Blair:

From what I can tell, Blair Worldwide is a non-recourse, high volume, low service sales outfit and nothing more. Now the dozens of cold calls I've received over the years make perfect sense. I suspect your group would sell me a hunt for free range, little green men on Mars if I had the money and was ready to pay in full.

All this talk of BWW being honest, ethical, and professional makes me want to vomit. You added $10,000 to the cost of a hunt you sold to your loyal, past, proven and established customers (not clients) and you want to brag about your ethics, honesty, and professionalism. Please. You saw a mark and you went for it. At least admit it.

What is clear here is that BWW is about money, period. Money in = good. Money out = bad. Seems to me that you made a minimum of $10,000 on this deal and may have gotten as much as $19,000 if you received a 15% commission. Your reputation, professionalism, honesty, and ethics went on sale and the price was less than twenty grand. Shame, but you'll be out of business soon enough thanks to the power of the internet.

I, for one, will not miss the annoying calls.

Enjoy retirement.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just went out for my usual 4 mile run and thought about this...

A few years ago one of my customers went closed one of their mills. We had just loaded our software on their server but hadn't billed them. Buy all rights, I could have. But I didn't think it was the "ethical" thing to do.

Well, as it turns out, that the guy that ran the mill that closed is now at a different mill for that customer. I bet he had no idea we never billed. But if I had billed and dug my feet in, that company might not be my customer today.

I also recall a hunt I did with Cabelas some years ago. Russell Selle screwed up a bunch of things, like not telling me there was a charter flight. I was mad as hell. I had business in Zurich on the way back and called Greg Severinson from there. He refunded the charter bill and a bunch of other things that got screwed up.

I was wondering if that blurb was written by a lawyer. If it was, he is a dumb lawyer for thinking that message is going to help. If Blair posted it against the advice of his lawyer, I guess he is pretty stupid to pay a lawyer and then not listen to him/her.

Sounds to me that at this point, Jeff Blair can't win.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he should probably have paid more and gotten the famous Doug Chester, Esq. dancing

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
I am glad that this is now coming up on Google, hopefully this will help someone in the future from not booking with this scum bag. Nice work!!!

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow Jeff, only a lawyer could have your ethics. I can't wait for your next cold call.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see this slightly differently.

When the hunt was booked, the client had every opportunity to say no to the price. They didn't. Additionally, this hunt included a deer and an observer. Could this account for the $10,000 difference? Quite possibly.

Heathington was apparently a reputable well respected outfitter when the hunt was booked. At this point, i see nothing wrong with what Blair did. However, does it make a lot of sense to send that much money to an outfitter that far ahead of time? Not to me. Regardless, I see BWW as having done nothing wrong up to this point.

Now, let's recall Blair's own words from the website."There are no gambles when you book with Blair WorldWide Hunting." "No gambles" means none, zero where I went to school. Of course, I am from the south. Smiler

Before the last payment was made, Heathington had problems. Big problems. Even I knew that and i am not a booking agent. Blair knew or should known before he got the last payment. I won't blame him for getting the check. However, I sure as hell blame him for not alerting the client and blame him even more for remitting the money to someone who clearly had major league issues.

BWW can't be blamed if Heathington became a flake any more than they could be blamed if he was killed in a car wreck. However, BWW has not performed as advertised. Remember, "no gambles?" Ask these gentlemen if they think they took any risk.

Now part of the attorney written post here blames this, in part, on the clients failure to buy trip insurance, which I might add that BWW would have earned yet another commission. So we go from "no gambles" to you should have bought trip insurance. Which one is it? It can't be both.

The fact that this has even gotten to this point speaks volumes about BWW. I know guys who have refunded their commission when they really had no fault. BWW clearly has some fault here.

There is no chance in hell that I would ever book anything when these jack asses. Believe me, I book a lot of trips. I will make damn sure that everyone I know knows about this should they ever discuss booking a trip with BWW.

This does bring up another point. I hear a lot of bitching and moaning about booking agents holding the money. This is a prime example of why they hold money sometimes. It is frequently beneficial for them to hold the money. It has saved my hunts on at least one occasion.

Posts: 11961 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blair World Wide - As a fellow agent, I more so than most here can appreciate that there is always two sides to these types of stories. And however you see your liability in this issue, versus what others might see, certainly may vary. But, there's no excuse, no moral ground to stand on, and certainly no business ethics, that should tell you that keeping your commissions is acceptable, period! I don't give a damn what your contract says, do what's right!

As an agent who has other associates working for me selling hunts. I have each of them sign an employment contract which states that, if for any reason the client is entitled to, or we deem it necessary to, return their money (commissions), the associate is required to return their portion of comms earned, as is GHR.

Seriously??? I mean you're kidding right? You feel no moral or ethical obligation to return at least the comms earned, and the additional add-on fees, if that too is a fact?? Even if you need to pay it back over time, its the "moral" and "ethical" thing to do. I think its a shame many good agents around the world have taken one step back today, simply because we share the same job title as you! Obviously you do not intend to do what's right, and I'm ashamed to have you mentioned as a fellow hunt consultant. My job just got a little tougher!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Blair World Wide - As a fellow agent, I more so than most here can appreciate that there is always two sides to these types of stories. And however you see your liability in this issue, versus what others might see, certainly may vary. But, there's no excuse, no moral ground to stand on, and certainly no business ethics, that should tell you that keeping your commissions is acceptable, period! I don't give a damn what your contract says, do what's right!

As an agent who has other associates working for me selling hunts. I have each of them sign an employment contract which states that, if for any reason the client is entitled to, or we deem it necessary to, return their money (commissions), the associate is required to return their portion of comms earned, as is GHR.

Seriously??? I mean you're kidding right? You feel no moral or ethical obligation to return at least the comms earned, and the additional add-on fees, if that too is a fact?? Even if you need to pay it back over time, its the "moral" and "ethical" thing to do. I think its a shame many good agents around the world have taken one step back today, simply because we share the same job title as you! Obviously you do not intend to do what's right, and I'm ashamed to have you mentioned as a fellow hunt consultant. My job just got a little tougher!!

Aaron, Anne, and other agents like you, I applaud you!

Thank you for putting your client's interests before your own. Ethics mean something to you.

I had heard from a fine operator in SE Zim that blair had almost put him out business last year. Something about not paying the operator on the ground. Must be Blair's business is struggling. I cannot imagine why.....

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
It's really this simple:

If Blair is an agent (or claims to be an agent), then he is a fiduciary that, by law, places his client's interests above his own. As an agent, he is obligated to return to the client the benefit that he obtained in the transaction.

Think of what other commission based agents and other fiduciaries do:

Does a real estate agent get a commission when the sale falls through? No.
Does a sport agent get a commission when the team does not sign his client? No.
Does an injury lawyer on a contingent fee contract get a fee when he loses the case? No.
Do accountants and lawyers get to keep unearned retainers or client money in trust accounts? No.

This is really simple. Blair's customers may be holding the bag for the part of the hunt money that went to Heathington, but the portion that Blair - a supposed agent (a fiduciary) kept - is Blair's responsibility to repay, period.

Blair, can you really tell us with a straight face that Heathington owes your customers $70,000? Surely not. He owes them whatever amount of $70,000 you paid him and you owe your customers whatever portion of $70,000 that you kept. Nothing else even comes close to making sense.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds to me that at this point, Jeff Blair can't win.

Actually I can not speak for all people on this forum but I am a very forgiving person. If Blair were to refund %100 of the $70,000 dollars he took from this family and then come on here and admit his past character deficiencies, and beg our forgiveness, I would forget about this whole mess. Until that day comes Blair will remain what we think he is.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
It's really this simple:

If Blair is an agent (or claims to be an agent), then he is a fiduciary that, by law, places his client's interests above his own. As an agent, he is obligated to return to the client the benefit that he obtained in the transaction.

I would think so too, but I'm no attorney! Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Larry is on point here. An agent should not blindly hand over the entire payment for a trip to the outfitter far in advance of the hunt.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
I think Larry is on point here. An agent should not blindly hand over the entire payment for a trip to the outfitter far in advance of the hunt.

Who says he did? Blair? I don't believe a word of what that guy says. Blair could be sitting on his commission, the extra 10 grand and up to a 50% balance of the hunt for all we know.

Something doesn't add up here, we would all find a way to come up with the money to pay these guys back, I understand that $20,000 is a lot of money but it's not worth the price that Blair will pay with the bad press

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been informed through tertiary sources (which, of course, are not always accurate) that Blair has already lost several dozen bookings over the web wide exposure of his cupidity.....couldn't happen to a more deserving individual.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blair's actions are beyond stupid. This is going to cost him a hell of a lot more than the commission before it is over.

Personally, it is hard for me to understand this type of thinking. My fiance refers to this as "wiring." Blair is just wired this way. He concentrates so much on the immediate cost that he can't see the long term.

Posts: 11961 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I see that Blair's website has an advertisement for Superior Ammunition and a photo of Craig Boddington. Both have great reputations. If anyone here has a personal relationship with either, they should probably clue them in. I would think they would no longer want to be associated with Blair Worldwide Hunting.

When I checked their website I did so to see who their outfitters were so I could warn those I know. He doesn't list any by name.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
He is a idiot, in the booking world booking agents only have one true asset, that is their client not cash in hand, without them we don't book another hunt unless we keep them satisfied and assisting us promote good outfitters. I would love to fast forward one year from now and see if he is going bankrupt yet.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
I see that Blair's website has an advertisement for Superior Ammunition and a photo of Craig Boddington. Both have great reputations. If anyone here has a personal relationship with either, they should probably clue them in. I would think they would no longer what to be associated with Blair Worldwide Hunting.

When I checked their website I did so to see who their outfitters were so I could warn those I know. He doesn't list any by name.

I wonder if Craig even knows his pic is there. The industry needs to come down hard on Blair. I know that I will mention him by name if the chance comes up in the few stories I write. I am somewhat disappointed John Barsness on 24HCF didn't castigate Blair. He only warned us to get travel insurance. One guy there bought it for a hunt Blair sold him, he couldn't go, and it didn't do any good. Not sure of the other details. I am sure if an insurance company thought there was fraud they wouldn't honor the claim.

In any event, anyone in the industry who doesn't come down hard on Blair is telling me the good ol' boys club is alive and well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The contract provided that Lonnie Henriksen had a choice of outfitters from which to choose. It was determined by Lonnie Henriksen that he would hunt desert bighorn sheep, coues deer and bring his wife as a non-hunter with Sheep LTD, owned by Larry Heathington, who at the time, had an excellent reputation

I'd like to know what choices of other outfitters were given. Seems like for $70k they would have had LOTS! And Heathington's past history should have warned off a lot of booking agents.
I wonder if BWW is going to have to prove they knew nothing of Heathington's past history. Had Heathington ever reneged on past customers for BWW? Was that ever disclosed in their conversations??

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
It's really this simple:

Think of what other commission based agents and other fiduciaries do:

Does a real estate agent get a commission when the sale falls through? No.
Does a sport agent get a commission when the team does not sign his client? No.
Does an injury lawyer on a contingent fee contract get a fee when he loses the case? No.
Do accountants and lawyers get to keep unearned retainers or client money in trust accounts? No.

This is really simple. Blair's customers may be holding the bag for the part of the hunt money that went to Heathington, but the portion that Blair - a supposed agent (a fiduciary) kept - is Blair's responsibility to repay, period.

Blair, can you really tell us with a straight face that Heathington owes your customers $70,000? Surely not. He owes them whatever amount of $70,000 you paid him and you owe your customers whatever portion of $70,000 that you kept. Nothing else even comes close to making sense.

Excellent point.

Well, Mr. Blair?

posted Hide Post
At no time have we ever asked for more than the commission and the $10,000 up-front charge to be refunded. If Blair would have handled this in a professional and ethical manner we would be doing everything we could to recommend him as a booking agent. Unfortunately, he introduced me to Blair's "Real World of Hunting". There has not been a single statement said by me or my sons that has not been 100% accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by northface:
There has not been a single statement said by me or my sons that has not been 100% accurate.

After reading the piss poor, utterly pathetic statement that was put out by Jeff Blair or whoever is representing him I have ZERO doubt that you guys are telling the truth!

Chalk me up for another $300 donation if you guys decide to retain an attorney and go after him

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by northface:
There has not been a single statement said by me or my sons that has not been 100% accurate.

Northface,

I went back and reread the "AZ Outfitter Missing in NM" post. See http://forums.accuratereloadin...3411043/m/8691002711

Seems to me Larry's MIA happened before your Christmas present was bought. If so, it would seem reasonable to believe Mr. Blair knew or should have known the outfitter was unreliable. In fact, Larry had a proven track record defaulting on clients. An argument can be made Blair knowingly sold you a defective product. And then he has the balls to point the finger at you.

I admire your restraint up to this point. But it looks like reasoning with Blair does no good. Perhaps a summons would help him come around? Not to mention the additional publicity that will generate.

Again, good luck

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack D Bold:
Northface,

I went back and reread the "AZ Outfitter Missing in NM" post. See http://forums.accuratereloadin...3411043/m/8691002711

Seems to me Larry's MIA happened before your Christmas present was bought. I admire your restraint up to this point. But it looks like reasoning with Blair does no good. Perhaps a summons would help him come around? Not to mention the additional publicity that will generate.

Again, good luck

In effort to keep the facts on track...

The incident in the "AZ Outfitter Missing in NM" thread I started with the message from Don Martin happened in Sept. 2009.

In the post by "Blair" here, he claims "Dr. Brent Henriksen and his brother, Mr. Tyler Henriksen purchased a desert bighorn sheep hunt on December 11, 2008..." which would have been 8-9 months PRIOR to the other thread.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received another soliciation phone call on my answering machine last night from Blair. I sure wish I would have been home to speak with him.

I'm in a totally different industry but I would never let my clients down like this. I've given credits to my customers many times when I made a mistake and quite a few times when I didn't. It's part of being in business and it's just the right thing to do. Integrity in business is everything!!

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever the legal responsibilities are, at the very least Blair should return the fees he made on this hunt.

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whatever the legal responsibilities are, at the very least Blair should return the fees he made on this hunt.

At Least!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OW:

I think they are referring to the second payment which was after Heathington flaked.

Personally, given the fact that you know some people who know this jerk, I was hoping you would have some information on him.

posted Hide Post
Well I am not a messanger boy and since my name is getting bandied about by people that have few or no facts "I will simply set the Record straight" My Name is Larry Heathington and I have guided both Desert Sheep and Rocky Mountains for over 30 years. This whole thing started way before the incident in 2009 as I have know Jeff and Audra Blair for almost the entire time I guided them. They are Arizonan's as am I and they were there watching the requested due Diligence as it was created. I guided for more than Sheep obviously but specialized in Deserts to the tune of well over 100 plus a good many Rocky Mountains as well having taken Boone and Crockett Rams in both catagories. Including the number 2 and 4 Deserts ever taken in Arizona. I also guided 10 past Presidents of SCI ( Keller, Pocuis, Cheremie) to other exotic species from Coues Deer to Tule Elk.
I will do this in a more or less cronological order so it can be followed more closely. In September of 2009 I was headed to New Mexico to guide 3 not two hunters on the State Landowner permits for Antelope. I pulled off at a non rest stop exit to go to the bathroom and subsequently was knocked unconcious by an assailant that came out of the bushes while I was being distracted by his partner. They stole some stuff out of my Pickup truck ( tent, stove etc) kicked the hell out of me and then left. I thought Thank God at the time but given recent developments I am not so sure. All of this is well documented in a Police report that was filed in Williams,Arizona as are the photograph's of my injuries which were significant (Major bruising ,Lacerated Cheek, Concussion etc) After I woke up I got in my Pickup and drove down the road a piece pulled over and passed out again and then the next day made it to a Hotel where I slept which is not good idea with a concussion but I was extremely disoriented , tired and did not call anyone immediately. But began notifying people from clients to my own children (who I would never scare for no reason)immediately as my head cleared. The Police have no reason to dispute those findings so I don't have any Idea why anyone else would. Both clients were given return hunts and the subject was closed accept for the ongoing Police investigation. Two of those clients belonged to Blair World Wide and the other one was from a private referall.

Once I got back on home ground I again slept soundly with prescribed medications and started building my strength between visits from my friends and family, until the following week when I had an Early Elk Hunter near my house. We hunted for a day or two and then took about a 350 Bull late one evening . During that time with the Elk client two landowners from Mexico arrived and collected their deposits on both Deer and Sheep hunts for December 2009 and January 2010. They were both open about the visit in front of the Elk client and why shouldn't they be they had nothing to hide. It is common knowledge that the Mexican Landowners want paid up front for their permits at least 30 days prior to the hunt, it is the norm not the exception. I then went about completing the rest of my Arizona fall schedule but I was having more than a little difficulty physically with some of the hunts, I assumed based on the concussion. My equlibrium was off, I tired easier than I had and just didn't feel very well overall. I even went to the Kane County Hospital in Kanab, Utah and was administerd an IV while I was on a Kaibab Deer hunt and struggling. (Medical Documentation is available)

The deposits having been paid along with the second payments I made arragements to spend Christmas with my Kids in Casa Grande, Arizona and then cross into Mexico in early January. I didn't feel worth a damn over that Christmas break but I had it to do so I crossed the border at Nogales in my Ford pickup on January 3rd headed to both the Sheep and Mule Deer Hunts. About 20 miles north of Santa Anna, Sonoro, Mexico I felt nauseauos and pulled off to the side of the Road where I began puking Bile and Blood. It scared the Hell out of me and I turned around and headed back to my primary Physician in Casa Grande,approximately 200 miles back north, I threw up all the way north and was very weak when I arrived, they immediately sent me to the Hospital at Banner Health Care in Chandler where I spent the next 10 or 11 days in serious condition having tests run daily to determine a cause.( Medical Records Available)..All during that time either my staff or I talked to the Clients and Mexican Land Owners keeping them informed as to what was going on and tried to get them all rescheduled. I had no idea at that time what was wrong with me nor did the doctor's. It is the assumtion of some of the doctors that my genetic's have a roll in this condition as I had a sister who died of a Liver condition at 38, and it was compounded by the 2009 beating plus the combination of diseases I had during my lifetime. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Scarlett Fever, Tylenol use and other contributing factors.

Prior to my release the Doctor that was incharge of my case set me down and told me that I had "End Stage Liver Disease" and that it was in fact terminal and I could live anywhere from six months to two years., I find myself there now at the end of the first year having been taken to the Hospital (3) three times with very serious blood levels or bleeds and I did not think that I would ever see the light of day again on each visit. I am living in the Kingman area staying in a house that my sister has leased for me and I am in an inhouse Hospice program that began in May of 2010 (Records Available).

False Statements that I have read in all of this dialoge: I do not work for Blair World Wide Hunting I worked for the Mexican Landowners who paid me a straight $5000.00 per client finders fee to find the clients, get their paperwork( Gun Permits ,Photo's for the Cities, Accompaning each client to Mexico as their non hunting companion and evaluating Sheep for the Guide Teams). the Mexican's get the difference. I got my normal finders fee. All monies from Blair were paid to me and were then given to the Mexican's thru Bank Drafts, Transferrs, or they were picked up by the Landowners. Blair retains his commission and other fee's from the initial. deposit. I have worked for other booking agants in the past and that procedure is fairly common within their industry.

I have been served with three lawsuits two of which were dismissed for lack of activity in the past 60 days. That includes Brent Henriksen's which was dismissed this week by a Coconino County Superior Court Judge . (Dismissal's available) Since that litigation is pending my attorney told me not to talk to any of the parties involved pending a Court Judgement..I have not talked to anyone about these matters in the past several month's at his request.. Prior to that I was cordial and informative to the clients when I talked to them as was my staff. For quite along time now I have been on 15 Miligrams of Morphine twice a day and am often incoherent therefore I allow my friends, relatives or staff talk to the clients WHEN I AM MEDICATED OR AM INCOHERENT.

I didn't load the hunts if they were ever loaded I simply supplied an ammount to complete their requests when it was brought to my attention, non Hunting companions, Film Crews etc!!

I have never taken a dime from the Blair clients all of that money was handled out of Blairs office and the Mexican Landowners pay me either $5000.00 a Sheep Hunter or $500.00 a Deer Hunter. I completed those duties as best I could short of the hunt taking place as I was in the hospital, Gun Permits were bought, Tags were gotten from the Government of Sonora etc!! As for my personally booked clients all of the money was given to the Mexican Landowners and they pay me the fee, sometime reluctantly but they pay it.

I also recommended that Trip Insurance be purchased in my normal correspondence although none was to my knowlege. As you will note the excerpt that is on Sheep Ltds introductory Stating that I aws retiring was written FEBRUARY 1ST when I was under the assumtion thatr my guide days were done. I have had addition tests from Varied specialists that are of the same opinion as the one I first recieved I have " End Stage Liver Disease " which is terminal. Thus short of this letter to clear the air I have no attention of addressing this matter again as it is in the hands of my Attorney as per his request.

Larry Heathington

quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:
Originally posted by BLAIR WORLDWIDE:
This posting is in response to the allegations which have been lodged incorrectly against Blair Worldwide Hunting on this forum and others.

Dr. Brent Henriksen and his brother, Mr. Tyler Henriksen purchased a desert bighorn sheep hunt on December 11, 2008, as a Christmas present for their father, Lonnie Henriksen. The Henriksen sons had been searching the internet for sheep hunts and a friend of their fathers referred them to Blair WorldWide. Lonnie had booked hunts with Blair WorldWide Hunting in the past. The contract provided that Lonnie Henriksen had a choice of outfitters from which to choose. It was determined by Lonnie Henriksen that he would hunt desert bighorn sheep, coues deer and bring his wife as a non-hunter with Sheep LTD, owned by Larry Heathington, who at the time, had an excellent reputation as a sheep hunter and guide and had guided many of the Governor’s tags for sheep.

As the booking agent, Blair WorldWide Hunting, pursuant to the requirements of the contract, sent the vast majority of the money Larry Heathington, who was the contracted hunter with Sheep LTD. Blair WorldWide, as a booking agent, is in a similar position to a travel agent that books travel on an airline or a cruise ship. When a ticket is purchased, the majority of the money goes to the airline or the cruise line and the booking agent retains a commission fee. It is the responsibility of the airline or the cruise ship to provide the services.

In this instance, it was the responsibility, and remains the responsibility of Larry Heathington, to provide the sheep hunts which were the subject of the contract. At the time the contract was entered into, the Henriksen’s were advised by Blair WorldWide, through the contract and via a trip insurance brochure, to buy trip insurance in the event that there was a problem with the hunt. The Henriksen’s chose not to do so. The fact that the majority of the Henriksens’ money was forwarded to Larry Heathington has been established conclusively by providing the Henriksen’s, and their attorney with copies of the cancelled checks from Blair WorldWide to Larry Heathington.

After the hunt was booked, Lonnie Henriksen and Larry Heathington spoke at length, several times before the contracted start of the hunt. After the original hunt date of January 2010 did not occur, conversations between Mr. Henriksen and Mr. Heathington continued well into March 2010 in regards to the new dates and location of the desert big horn sheep hunt. For reasons which were not entirely clear to Blair WorldWide at the time, or to anyone for that matter, Larry Heathington has reneged on his promise to conduct, not only the Henriksen hunt, but other clients hunts as well. It was later disclosed by Mr. Heathington and Sheep LTD that he did not conduct the hunts contracted for due to health issues (See Sheep LTD’s website). The bottom line is that the dispute is properly between the Henriksen’s and Mr. Heathington, the outfitter.

Blair WorldWide did take extra steps in attempting to help the Henriksen’s recovery their money even though Blair WorldWide, as a booking agent, has no obligation both contractually or ethically to do so. Blair WorldWide contacted Mr. Heathington on several occasions and strongly urged him to return the monies for the clients who did not receive their contracted hunts. When
those attempts failed, Blair WorldWide consistently assisted the Henriksen’s attorney in attempting to recover the money paid to Mr. Heathington through a civil lawsuit. In short, Blair WorldWide has done everything required of it, both legally and ethically, to assist not only the Henriksen’s, but also other clients, who contracted with Sheep LTD.
Blair WorldWide sincerely wishes that, not only Mr. Heathington and Sheep LTD, but all outfitters would provide the services that they contract for. However, in the real world, such is not always the case. Blair WorldWide has taken significant care to ensure that outfitters with whom clients are contracted provide good and legitimate services. Despite such care, every once in a while, an outfitter for a variety of reasons fails to perform. This is why trip insurance is recommended for all hunting and fishing trips booked. It is always clearly stated in all of Blair WorldWide contracts that the services contracted for are the sole and exclusive responsibility of the outfitter. Blair WorldWide sincerely hopes that the Henriksen’s recover their money from the person who possesses it -- That is Larry Heathington.

Any allegations that Blair WorldWide, in any fashion, deprived the Henriksen’s or any other party of their money improperly, illegally, or unethically, is simply untrue. The Henriksen’s have retained counsel to attempt to recover their money from Mr. Heathington and Sheep LTD. The
Henriksen’s have not, and cannot, legally claim that Blair WorldWide has withheld any of the funds owed to them by Mr. Heathington.

In sum, despite the unwarranted allegations to the contrary, Blair WorldWide acted at all times in an honest, professional, and ethical manner and any allegations to the contrary are not true

http://www.blairworldwide.com/.../SHEEPLTDWEBPAGE.htm

Looking at the verbage and syntax, $100 says this was written and submitted by Skip (or current counsel), not Blair. Didn't even have the balls to come here and defend himself in person but sent a messenger boy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you tell Blair about all these problems so that he could help line up another guide? Judging by your story, you spoke with Lonnie Henrikson, right?

It sounds from your post that you weren't even the guide - you essentially got a "bird dog" fee. So ostensibly the land owner was supplying the guide, right?

If all of this is true, then it should have been relatively easy to get Lonnie Henrikson connected with the land owner.

It is also strange that Blair never mentioned the money went to some unnamed (you are certainly welcome to post these mysterious land owners) landowner and is thus impossible to recover. Funny that was never mentioned. You would think Blair would have said that, especially if he brought a lawsuit against you.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I've followed this saga from afar , and it surprises me that no newsaper has so far printed the headline , albeit minor , " Hunting Outfitters Body Found With Bullet Hole In Head ".

Maybe its still coming , who can tell....?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote