THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    TIPS! The Subject Keeps Coming Up Frequently, Please Help.
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TIPS! The Subject Keeps Coming Up Frequently, Please Help.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would dearly love to see in my contract that tips are not required as the staff has been paid a substantially above average salary.

I would still leave a tip to let them know I was happy, if I was, but it would be a gesture thing instead of approaching 10% daily rate... Having to bring thousands of dollars in cash just for tipping is for the birds.

Posts: 10630 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I would dearly love to see in my contract that tips are not required as the staff has been paid a substantially above average salary.

I would still leave a tip to let them know I was happy, if I was, but it would be a gesture thing instead of approaching 10% daily rate... Having to bring thousands of dollars in cash just for tipping is for the birds.

It is not going to happen.

Just as I wish restaurants will have an inclusive price, without telling you there is going to be an additional 15-20% "service"charge added to your total bill.

I have been sent a number of "recommended" tips fro several members here, who have got them on their safaries.

Frankly, some recommendations are rediculous

Some outfitters are asking $100-150 per day for their PHs!!
$30 per tracker per day?
Camp manager $50 per day?

I only picked the above, but quite a few on the list that make no sense at all.

I looked at some of the figures, and it will add a lot more than 10% of the daily rate when hunting plains game.

My impression is that clients have no problems paying a tip.

But, they do object to the fact that it has become something else, and expected from everyone, and some outfits like to dictate how much to be paid.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66988 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never seen Daily rate includes tips

You won't as they are an integral part of the package, absorbed between daily rate and trophy fees; its a bit of a scam really and some clients end up voluntarily paying a tip anyway at the end of their hunt.

P.S. These package deals are normally tailored to cater for the European (non tipping markets) and those 2 islands in the middle of nowhere.

Posts: 1906 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
As I umderstand it, tips won't be added to the daily rate because if they do they are subject to taxes and any other government regulation of money. As they are, tips are "under the table."
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

Where there's a will .... there's a way. Wink

Have you ever given thought on how booking deposits get handled or when booking go through gents, etc.?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allow me to try and shed some light on the debate on hand:
First and foremost tipping in the hunting industry in particular is not entirely related to the wild accusations that these are a direct result of an outfitter meting out poor wages to his crew – this is not true when one considers they (crew) are being fully catered for in camp at the expense of the outfitter and their wages are actually money in the pocket and quite possibly, tax-free.
Confusion continuously reigns when classifying the PH and Outfitter as being one and the same; this is not the case as the outfitter is the owner of the business and the PH is basically an employee but in some cases, the owner/outfitter doubles as a PH.
One should not however discount the existence of the rogue and dishonest outfitter who does indeed skim his people but these individuals are in the minority and the rest should not be made to pay for their sins.
As far as TZ is concerned, we have an established 6 month long hunting season which in reality, due to post and pre-weather factors, is actually 4 to 5 months of real hunting time depending on the location of the hunting concessions. It should also be borne in mind that there is no truth in taking for granted that the entire season is fully booked with multiple or back-to-back safaris as one might envisage. Safaris can only be booked and sold according to quota availability – period.
It has to be evidenced that most of the workforce, PH included, could be considered as freelance or temporary employees, in that the majority of the African hunting destinations, with South Africa and Namibia being probable exclusions, hunting is a seasonal occupation and as such, their livelihood is only guaranteed by the number of days actually worked in these hunting camps.
As an example, the average wages for a PH working in Tanzania and depending on the outfitter’s financial standing, can vary from $180 to $400 per day, the latter corresponding to the cup containing the Holy Grail (one undisclosed outfitter) and is only paid for the contracted hunting days and not on a monthly basis as would be the case for the camp staff who would be pulling $85 to $150 per month in line with and above the government imposed minimum wage scale.
The majority of reputably known PHs operating in Tanzania are from beyond our borders and are also therefore subject to local licensing and work-status regulations which come at a price, mostly at their own expense.
The average total hunting time for a PH working in TZ on a well booked season would rarely exceed 80 days and anything in excess would be the icing on the cake but which would nevertheless unlikely make him a millionaire during his hunting career.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

Mr Butler,

That is bullshit for an outfitter to tell you what to tip and in my camp I do not even broach the subject until asked.

Much that I like your suggestion I have found that my staff are extremely grateful for the additional bonus and are proud to receive a handshake and a few dollars for a job well done.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
Allow me to try and shed some light on the debate on hand:
First and foremost tipping in the hunting industry in particular is not entirely related to the wild accusations that these are a direct result of an outfitter meting out poor wages to his crew – this is not true when one considers they (crew) are being fully catered for in camp at the expense of the outfitter and their wages are actually money in the pocket and quite possibly, tax-free.
Confusion continuously reigns when classifying the PH and Outfitter as being one and the same; this is not the case as the outfitter is the owner of the business and the PH is basically an employee but in some cases, the owner/outfitter doubles as a PH.
One should not however discount the existence of the rogue and dishonest outfitter who does indeed skim his people but these individuals are in the minority and the rest should not be made to pay for their sins.
As far as TZ is concerned, we have an established 6 month long hunting season which in reality, due to post and pre-weather factors, is actually 4 to 5 months of real hunting time depending on the location of the hunting concessions. It should also be borne in mind that there is no truth in taking for granted that the entire season is fully booked with multiple or back-to-back safaris as one might envisage. Safaris can only be booked and sold according to quota availability – period.
It has to be evidenced that most of the workforce, PH included, could be considered as freelance or temporary employees, in that the majority of the African hunting destinations, with South Africa and Namibia being probable exclusions, hunting is a seasonal occupation and as such, their livelihood is only guaranteed by the number of days actually worked in these hunting camps.
As an example, the average wages for a PH working in Tanzania and depending on the outfitter’s financial standing, can vary from $180 to $400 per day, the latter corresponding to the cup containing the Holy Grail (one undisclosed outfitter) and is only paid for the contracted hunting days and not on a monthly basis as would be the case for the camp staff who would be pulling $85 to $150 per month in line with and above the government imposed minimum wage scale.
The majority of reputably known PHs operating in Tanzania are from beyond our borders and are also therefore subject to local licensing and work-status regulations which come at a price, mostly at their own expense.
The average total hunting time for a PH working in TZ on a well booked season would rarely exceed 80 days and anything in excess would be the icing on the cake but which would nevertheless unlikely make him a millionaire during his hunting career.

Hunting/guiding business is not full time job ( reason I quit it when I got married), therefore when season is over, You simply find another job
Anyway, if man can make living for entire year hunting/guiding, that's awesome
I do see tipping culture at times as getting out of hand and in the end it is us hunters, simply exacerbating it by not saying enough is enough
I think, tipping is great to show gratitude until it's expected and demanded by underlying attitudes

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Mike

I have not actually hunted BG in Africa but my limited experience in other places ranges from subtle hints to broad hints. Pressure to spend more on hunts.

The summary is that I did not feel that the guide was concerned about MY financial limitations or how the tips issue affect MY hunt. He was more interested in selling more of HIS stuff and also giving BIG hints about tips.

I have also hunted with a few guides who have been very good - small operator with a genuine work ethic and very reasonable rates.

quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

Most people try to get as much as they can and try harder for more.

Some will try and take everything you have and not be bothered that you are just an average guy like them but with a BIG passion for hunting Africa paying international rates.

Please elaborate on this . . . how exactly do they "try to get as much as they can" and "try to take everything you have"? Have you been physically threatened? Held hostage? Perhaps it is just a bit of hyperbole.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Mark

My reactions are very typical of most Kiwis and probably most Aussies as we do not have a tipping culture.

This is nothing against hunting guides per se.

I have the same attitude towards hospitality staff sometimes when traveling.

quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
quote:
I cannot trust most people to tell me honestly what the fair tip is. Yes i know that there are exceptions.

Some will try and take everything you have and not be bothered that you are just an average guy like them but with a BIG passion for hunting Africa paying international rates.

Naki,

I'd be very interested also in how you came to these conclusions. Also I feel your extreme angst that you described over whether your tip would be perceived as adequate is unwarranted.

Mark

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Except you're not in Australia or New Zealand...you're in Africa where tipping after a safari is customary. Where you are is what matters, not where you're from.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Really? Then how come we keep reading of PHs expecting more from US clients and Europeans do not tip much if at all?

I remember Buzz posting some years ago about one of his regular European clients being a non-tipper though he came back regularly to hunt with him!

Comments like yours tempt me to point out that the world has over 7 billion people & not just 330 million! Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
Except you're not in Australia or New Zealand...you're in Africa where tipping after a safari is customary. Where you are is what matters, not where you're from.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym - I would like to see you convince a German or Austrian or a Frenchman or a Spaniard or a Russian of that. Not sure they would buy into the whole "it's where you're at that matters" explanation...

But hey, it's worth a shot; you never know.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Comments like yours tempt me to point out that the world has over 7 billion people & not just 330 million!

Comments like yours tempt me to point out that you're using where you are from as an excuse to be cheap.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
quote:
Comments like yours tempt me to point out that the world has over 7 billion people & not just 330 million!

Comments like yours tempt me to point out that you're using where you are from as an excuse to be cheap.

. . . and they talk about "ugly Americans" who do not attempt to culturally integrate themselves when traveling internationally. Roll Eyes

Mike

Posts: 21222 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Comments like yours tempt me to point out that you're using where you are from as an excuse to be cheap."

That's pretty bold.
Do you know anyone from NZ on a personal level?Do you understand their culture? How they live and were raised?
Never really liked name calling as a way of discussing a topic.

One of the best hunting experiences I have had was our trip to NZ. The outfitter told us upfront that there was no tipping expected.
We knew exactly what was expected of us and he knew exactly what we expected from him.

I think most people would agree that the tipping situation on safaris has gotten out of hand. If you go on a 10 day buffalo hunt you are expected to have $2-$3000 in cash for tips?
That is my definition of ridiculous.
There is better value in other hunting and fishing trips for me.
To each his own.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by COYOTE HUNTER:
"Comments like yours tempt me to point out that you're using where you are from as an excuse to be cheap."

That's pretty bold.
Do you know anyone from NZ on a personal level?Do you understand their culture? How they live and were raised?

One of the best hunting experiences I have had was our trip to NZ. The outfitter told us upfront that there was no tipping expected.
We knew exactly what was expected of us and he knew exactly what we expected from him.

I think most people would agree that the tipping situation on safaris has gotten out of hand. If you go on a 10 day buffalo hunt you are expected to have $2-$3000 in cash for tips?
To each his own.

I've been here long enough to know Nakis Modus Operandi... Wink

quote:
kinda goes to my point..No? You did what was expected in the country you were in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by COYOTE HUNTER:

That's pretty bold.

To each his own.

They don't have to be from NZ to value their hard earned money.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one is saying that you should tip a 100 people and make the whole village rich....but not tipping at all in an industry where it is customary and needed is BS. A tip that reflects the service you experienced and is within your means is all that is expected.

anything less, then you're a tool... moon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
kinda goes to my point..No? You did what was expected in the country you were in.

Well, at least you are putting it out there as honestly as possible. Tipping is expected nowadays on safari. I agree with you.

I hope you don't think I'm being critical of anyone who chooses to partake in the experience. As I said, to each is own. Some find it incredibly satisfying.

In my opinion the whole process is now tough to swallow. High tips, dip/pack, /shipping fees (extortion) . . . for me there are just too many other experiences I find a better use of my discretionary funds.
It's all about where you find the personal highest value.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope you don't think I'm being critical of anyone who chooses to partake in the experience. As I said, to each is own. Some find it incredibly satisfying.

I just express my opinion...sometimes that wins me some friends...often times it loses me some. This forum is for learning/sharing our experiences and having fun.

its all good... tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Baldry,

I'm afraid I gave the wrong impression. I was not told how much to tip, although I was told what average was when I asked.

My issue is when the average tip gets into several thousand USD, it's not comfortable to carry that much cash.

What I would like to see is in writing a statement that:

We pay our staff way above average, and any gratuity should be a small token of gratitude. Anything over 1% of your daily rates is excessive.

Thank you

The management.

To my mind the uncertainty of what is appropriate is the bigger issue, Cal's comment on having the money thrown on the ground and stating "more" shows that there is a disconnect at times.

Posts: 10630 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mark

My reactions are very typical of most Kiwis and probably most Aussies as we do not have a tipping culture.

quote:
quote:
I cannot trust most people to tell me honestly what the fair tip is. Yes i know that there are exceptions.

Naki,

I'd be very interested also in how you came to these conclusions. Also I feel your extreme angst that you described over whether your tip would be perceived as adequate is unwarranted.

Mark

Naki,

We're right back where we were on like page 5 or 6 of this. I have to come to the same conclusion; If the ENTIRE cost of a safari you are looking at, to include air, daily rates, TF's tips, dipping & packing, shipping and any taxidermy exceeds your budget, find something that does fit your budget.

I think the conclusion here is that tipping is expected and a component that must be mentally included in your budget.

Also, you state "Most Kiwis," If I recall correctly, you aren't a Kiwi?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is good to give a big tip when you feel you got a good hunt for the money you paid.It is not a good feeling when you are expected to tip big when you feel that you over paid for your hunt.When there is no game in the area and you are given canned food to eat then you might feel that you are a fool to tip.When do we feel that we got a good price for our hunt? Probably never or rarely but we want to show that we are good sports even if we got ripped off.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
It is good to give a big tip when you feel you got a good hunt for the money you paid.It is not a good feeling when you are expected to tip big when you feel that you over paid for your hunt.When there is no game in the area and you are given canned food to eat then you might feel that you are a fool to tip.When do we feel that we got a good price for our hunt? Probably never or rarely but we want to show that we are good sports even if we got ripped off.

The practice of tipping most likely originally began as a form of graft to make sure you got a service or at least got a service ahead of someone else i.e. preferential treatment. At least one poster on this thread has alluded to the latter being some of the reason why he tips.

But to tip to show you are a good sport i.e. buy popularity barf

I have vented my spleen on this subject before and funnily enough the majority on this forum seem to wish that tipping was banished even though they begrudgingly practice it. Damn glad it is not a practice where I live except for a few who think they are precious enough to dig their snouts in the trough.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We would not be having this thread if it was just about how much to tip a PH. The issue is that its about about tipping 5-15 people a certain amount for every day of your safari.

We see how hard our PH works, or doesn't, to make our experience a great one. He's with us for pretty much every waking hour. Makes it easy to be generous when someone is making extra effort, trying to help you get that great animal, trying to help you when something breaks, etc. Just like a waiter in a restaurant, we can see and feel the impact of their approach and extra effort.

When we are told its 20 bucks a day for an asst to the skinner or one of the cooks, that is not a tip we are giving based on the extra effort we have seen someone put into our stay, that is just an addition to the daily rate.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Tipping in the end does breeds contempt, for simple reason as let's say you got ten hunts with same money paid for ten different guys but now you got ten different tips and that to me breeds dissatisfaction and contempt
I have no idea how you marry that
I tip so I can be called hypocrite but that doesn't mean I necessarily like it ( more or less the big amounts, that are expected in Africa especially )
Stuff I accomplished as single guide in comparison to ten people in African camp and I'm not exaggerating, I did mental calculations and the overhead in Safari camps in Africa is simply beyond my comprehension

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did mental calculations and the overhead in Safari camps in Africa is simply beyond my comprehension

You are right, and it does take an extraordinary amount of work to make life in camp hospitable and comfortable.

But, that should have been taken care of in the price, not as an add on from tips.

It is a terrible business model if that is the case.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66988 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shake Shack Founder - Tipping is 'one of the biggest hoaxes pulled on an entire culture'.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/...-hoax-142228863.html

Yep

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Shake Shack Founder - Tipping is 'one of the biggest hoaxes pulled on an entire culture'.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/...-hoax-142228863.html

Yep

Its become a feature of american life.

Only place I know where tipping is not present is where there is significant international tourism - South Beach Miami.

The very high end places will over time go to no tipping just cause it is uncomfortable to some.

http://ny.eater.com/2016/2/1/1...nyc-price-no-tipping

I know one eclectic chief who have no tipping in Houston and charges a service fee. Food is great service sucks.

I have a serious issue with restaurants who add a service charge and them leave a spot on their credit card statement for a tip - some people don't realize a service charge was added.

Overall it has become a cost to hunt africa - budget for it at the recommended rates and if it exceeds your budget find something else to spend the dollars on.

Tacked on fees like rifle rental at $100 a day, road transport at $1000 where the ph loads your truck with supplies for camp, dip and pack at $1500 a crate, excessive shipping charges and a dozens of misc charges need to be built in to safari costs.

Interesting in fishing - transport/charter to camp and use of quality gear is always built into the cost of trip.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I completely agree; it is interesting to say the least that pretty much a whole continent has learned to milk this hoax for as much as possible. I'm including many of the outfitters in this also. I've never had business dealings with people that sink to the low level of way too many African hunting outfitters and staff. I know there are very ethical outfitters, but there number is way too low.

Posts: 231 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Steve

I am a Kiwi. I have lived here for 25 years.

Others here treat me like a Kiwi and expect me to respond like one. I have raised my Kids as Kiwis.

I am not going to respond to your insinuations.

You certainly are showing your old traits that were were obvious under your old name!

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Mark

quote:
quote:

Naki,

Mark

Naki,

We're right back where we were on like page 5 or 6 of this. I have to come to the same conclusion; If the ENTIRE cost of a safari you are looking at, to include air, daily rates, TF's tips, dipping & packing, shipping and any taxidermy exceeds your budget, find something that does fit your budget.

I think the conclusion here is that tipping is expected and a component that must be mentally included in your budget.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve

Others here treat me like a Kiwi and expect me to respond like one. I have raised my Kids as Kiwis.

I am not going to respond to your insinuations.

You certainly are showing your old traits that were were obvious under your old name!

quote:
quote:
Mark

quote:
quote:

Naki,

Mark

Naki,

I ask you if you're a Kiwi or nor and you take a shot at me "acting in my old ways". Here's a blast from my past.

Kiss my ass you poseur. wave

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
archer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Having lived in any country for 25 years or more does not signify that a person is a citizen, thus holding that country's nationality.

Citizenship laws vary from one country to another; some require a minimum permanent residence of 1 year, others more than a year and based on these required periods of residence, will only qualify that person to the privilege of applying for citizenship but not necessarily entitle him/her the right to be granted the same.

This process is called naturalization.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
So you are an expert on my nationality status are you?

OK - I have lived in NZ for 25 years and have been a citizen for 22 years!

I also have a B1 VISA that allows me to live and work in US for another 12 years if I want to.

Back to the topic on Tips, I bet Donald Trump cares so much for the common worker that he will introduce $25 minimum wage, make tips illegal and bring back jobs to the US!

quote:
quote:

Having lived in any country for 25 years or more does not signify that a person is a citizen, thus holding that country's nationality.

Citizenship laws vary from one country to another; some require a minimum permanent residence of 1 year, others more than a year and based on these required periods of residence, will only qualify that person to the privilege of applying for citizenship but not necessarily entitle him/her the right to be granted the same.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Steve

You are a dumb and illiterate liar.

You cannot even read your own post. Check bold red below.

You did not ask. You just assumed. And you were wrong but will not admit it. That is your old arrogant lying self.

I hope you kissed Michelle Obama's ass and learned a bit of humility and class!

quote:

[/QUOTE]

I ask you if you're a Kiwi or nor and you take a shot at me "acting in my old ways". Here's a blast from my past.

Kiss my ass you poseur. wave[/QUOTE]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So you are an expert on my nationality status are you?

OK - I have lived in NZ for 25 years and have been a citizen for 22 years!

I also have a B1 VISA that allows me to live and work in US for another 12 years if I want to.

Back to the topic on Tips, I bet Donald Trump cares so much for the common worker that he will introduce $25 minimum wage, make tips illegal and bring back jobs to the US!

quote:
quote:

Ummmm wrong forum Skippy. We have a Romper Room - It's called the Political Forum. Perform your childish rants there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naki, Steve, I really don't care for the tone that is in this thread...probably more pertinent to the political forum.

But...

In regards to Naki

You are originally from India, and spent your formative years there.

India has a tipping culture.

The camp employees are not very well compensated relative to your status (or mine, for that matter) and as a service consumer there, you are in both a position of being in a receiving tipping culture and being born in a tipping culture...you didn't lose your cultural heritage when you became a New Zelander, and if you spent any time in the US as a work visa holder, you didn't abrogate tipping here, either.

Claiming your new cultural norm as an excuse to not behave in the established norm is a personal reflection. It would be neither gentlemanly nor Christian to refuse to tip in Africa on a hunting trip, if you felt the service was adequate. Single handily claiming New Zeland status to get out of it is disengenuous. If your children did it, it still is not really appropriate, as one should obey the norms in the place where one is visiting, but could be explained as they didn't know better. You do.

The argument whether it is appropriate to tip, and the level of tipping is a different argument altogether, and I would agree that New Zeland has a better cultural norm than we do in the US as far as tipping goes. That being said, it does in no way excuse your claim here that "I am a Kiwi, so I don't need to tip." I suspect your parents would not approve of that statement as far as back in India or in Africa, for that matter.

Tipping is a cultural and social norm, not a condition of nationality.

Steve, your response was not very gentlemanly here... and I know you are better than that.