THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    TIPS! The Subject Keeps Coming Up Frequently, Please Help.
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TIPS! The Subject Keeps Coming Up Frequently, Please Help.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Thing is, asking PH about tips is kinda counter productive in some ways
Just use your own judgment and don't worry about anyone else
I look at it this way, you want repeat business? ...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Double Boy, I do !00 day for the PH and match the amount for staff. Where it gets interesting is the different numbers of staff in different camps.

I think the problem lies in the fact that there is no answer and many of us want to leave an amount that is considered a nice thank you, but never really know what that amount is. I budget for tips when I'm planning a safari and comparing different options, just find it annoying that you can seldom get a clear answer on the right amount (which I understand, no PH wants to set the amount as the very wealthy will likely drop a bundle on them lacking guidance - don't blame them for not wanting to cap their tips with a reccomended amount).

More than one PH has told me what they pay camp staff and if a PH gets 30% of his income from tips, camp staff its probably a much higher percentage.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
I have always wanted to tip for good service. When I first started I didn't know what was fair or reasonable. I have a handle on that now after 11 safaris and am comfortable that my tips are reasonable. I consider myself a good and reasonable tipper but not excessive. I have never tried to compete with the wealthy, they can afford to be more generous than me.
I have left several safaris owing money to the operator, which I would wire when I got home, but have always held back from $1K to $2K for tips which I enjoy giving out in person and individually. I consider tipping to be part of the cost of any hunt or fishing trip and always plan for it.
I just got back from a vacation with the family to Australia and Bali, Indonesia which are both non-tipping cultures. I tipped anyway, because I like to. That is just me.

Tipping outside of a hunting camp in Australia is considered to be insulting.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect virtually none of you have worked for tips. I have. I worked my way through college and professional school tending bar.

I tend to over tip. My issue.

BUT when the average daily pay in Zim is 2.80 US leaving a little extra cash can be life altering for these people where the unemployment rate is 85%. It also helps the industry stay alive a little longer. It is dangling by a rotting thread as it is.

Compare it to your 6000 US Roan trophy fee.

Just my thoughts. I like to help people.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

That's a great comment. If you've worked for tips it changes your outlook for sure. I caddied at a 4 Star resort hotel when I was a kid. The people that stayed there often were very wealthy folks from New York that were literally spending the whole summer. At day's end if I had done two 18 hole rounds it would have been a good day if I received 1 or 2 dollars in tips. Man! Those people were cheap.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
I suspect virtually none of you have worked for tips. I have. I worked my way through college and professional school tending bar.

I tend to over tip. My issue.

BUT when the average daily pay in Zim is 2.80 US leaving a little extra cash can be life altering for these people where the unemployment rate is 85%. It also helps the industry stay alive a little longer. It is dangling by a rotting thread as it is.

Compare it to your 6000 US Roan trophy fee.

Just my thoughts. I like to help people.

Jeff

+1

I have never had to work in a tipping or service industry and given my poor skills at acting nice to people that is good.

The tip to the Gardner in camp is material to him and his family. Tip the staff well - your dollars have much bigger impact there. Similar to the way Bill Gates and Warren Buffett are giving their money away.

But I have a serious issue with the bs excuse outfitters give for why hunt prices increase 10 percent a year - its labor costs - that is just a outright lie.

Your zim buffalo costs $6k in trophy fees cause you are directly on parks payroll or indirectly giving money to a zanu-pf politician. There is no running around that.

Think of your tip as giving uncle bob the middle finger - at least I do.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tipping outside of a hunting camp in Australia is considered to be insulting.

Once you have left it on the table and walked away does it get thrown in the bin or will they swallow their pride?

On the other hand, the following might be of interest:

"Tipping in Australia can be a confusing business. Do you tip at cafes or only restaurants? If so, how much? Is 10 per cent the magic number, or does that make you a “tight arse”?

Tipping protocol in Australia works on a loose set of principles, and diners are often baffled about how much to leave and when it's appropriate. Ask any hospitality worker and they'll say, “always, and at least 10 per cent”.

But has Australia reached a point where tipping is now seen as compulsory?

“It's just a discretionary thing if people feel that they've had good service.” “It's the easiest way for diners here to say thanks.”

Food for thought. coffee

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I lived there for three years and ate out regularly. I never tipped.

There is even a tip spot on the bill at starbucks when I pick up a tea there about once a month. I have never tipped, and I wont. I don't tip fast food, buffets or coffee.

There are American companies like Chilis and Macaroni Grill. I rarely eat there but when I do I round up there too.

When I was single I tipped a lot, especially if they were good looking. Now I rarely ever tip more than 5% in America, never in buffets, fast food or coffee places.

For a hunt, I tip what I can afford. We are hunting in Scotland in September. I plan to tip what I can afford, easy as that.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Some levity, but maybe he was trying to get Tiger's waitress:

http://buzz.blog.ajc.com/2017/...hlberg-waffle-house/

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For a hunt, I tip what I can afford. We are hunting in Scotland in September. I plan to tip what I can afford, easy as that.

That's what its all about but some people are too narrow-minded to think along those lines.

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW,

The folks that I tipped in Australia and Bali seemed to be genuinely thankful. There is no such thing as a living wage for wait staff.
I will continue the practice wherever I go.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Some good comments lately
Nothing wrong with tipping as long as is not expected as a must
Staff tipping is I'd say more important for sure
As a young man, I worked as a guide, tipping was more or less beer money even if we didn't make much
Late 80' $ 500-600 a month plus R and B, client killed elk and or deer, you'd get $ 20-50 tip and at times nothing.
In Africa, I found that cartons of cigarettes and leatherman tool next to tips for staff was much better than trinkets, plus I always left all clothes and boots except what I wore home as well

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

A little story about tipping as told to me by Garry Kelly. Garry some years ago booked a client who is now very well known on AR and in the safari hunting world on his first DG safari. They shot buffalo, elephant and an array of PG. Garry's tracker of many years was a Zulu and a very proud one at that. At safari's end Mr. Well known handed this tracker one set of his very worn clothes with a $10 bill on top. The tracker said "no thank you" and walked away. I always loved that story.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, good story.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Folks,

A little story about tipping as told to me by Garry Kelly. Garry some years ago booked a client who is now very well known on AR and in the safari hunting world on his first DG safari. They shot buffalo, elephant and an array of PG. Garry's tracker of many years was a Zulu and a very proud one at that. At safari's end Mr. Well known handed this tracker one set of his very worn clothes with a $10 bill on top. The tracker said "no thank you" and walked away. I always loved that story.

Mark

I bet the tracker would have not walked away if it was $500 that was offered! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Folks,

Mark

I bet the tracker would have not walked away if it was $500 that was offered! clap

Hah!

Proving, once again, that the only thing worse than a pain in the ass, is a cheap pain in the ass!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
And ten bucks is better than nothing
Tracker has big chip on his shoulder to act that way
It might sound funny but it's not, it's sad
That usually tells me " It's an asshole " and pompous ass to boot

“ Hávamál”

Administrator
posted Hide Post
What that story tells is, they EXPECT a tip, and alarmed oneat that.

All this talk of "give what you like" is not true at all in this instance.

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

If the hunter has the right to insult the tracker with a tip that is comical, seems that the tracker is perfectly free to insult the hunter with a polite refusal of the tip to send a message as well. I will agree with you that the incident is sad . . . but it was the hunter that made it so.

A waiter in a very nice restaurant works hard all evening to make a dinner a special event for an individual and his guests. When the bill comes the customer leaves the waiter a $1.00 tip and a stick of Wrigley's Doublemint gum. The waiter says "no thank you". The customer earned the no thank you and the customer is the asshole, not the waiter.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

If the hunter has the right to insult the tracker with a tip that is comical, seems that the tracker is perfectly free to insult the hunter with a polite refusal of the tip to send a message as well. I will agree with you that the incident is sad . . . but it was the hunter that made it so.

A waiter in a very nice restaurant works hard all evening to make a dinner a special event for an individual and his guests. When the bill comes the customer leaves the waiter a $1.00 tip and a stick of Wrigley's Doublemint gum. The waiter says "no thank you". The customer earned the no thank you and the customer is the asshole, not the waiter.

....................Absolutely! old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

Why is it considered an insult if he paid him a small tip?

The client has already paid the salary of that tracker.

Are we being told non stop that tips are not compulsory?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the ones who tell others to tip big go on eBay and sell their old underwear.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I wouldn't be surprised if the ones who tell others to tip big go on eBay and sell their old underwear.

You in the market? I got an old batch for a good price....

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Tips:

I think I've got this thing figured out as to my attitude toward tipping. I need to draw a comparison to make my point.

A few years go a friend did some work on my house. As a friend, he did not charge me anything nor did he expect to be paid. It was what friends do. He likes to hunt and wanted to save and buy a bolt action rifle in .300 Remington Ultra Mag.

A few months later we went to a gun show and he saw the rifle he wanted. I asked him if he was sure and then said to the vendor, "Fill in the paperwork with his name and I will pay for it." The look of appreciation and surprise on his face was priceless. I will never forget that moment.

Over a year later he again did some work for me. And, again, he wanted a firearm--a semi auto pistol for a .45 Win. Mag. This time it was different. He took me to a place for the highest priced pistol he could find, wanted dies and brass, and was angered when I offered to order him one and he moaned that I should include an additional $20 for postage. I bought him the pistol, but it was not the same experience for me.

And that is my point about tipping.

I'm a fair tipper, I would guess. Not a rich guy so don't over tip, but I tip an OK amount. No matter, though, when a tip is expected it takes the fun out of giving. On most of my overseas hunts, and my one lame hunt in Idaho, the issue of tipping is brought up prior to the hunt. It is a not-so-suttle hint so as not to forget to tip. Sometimes the hint is mentioned in passing. Other times it is known as a solid fact not only to tip, but in a few cases, how much is expected! I read of an elk guide, Utah maybe, where the information states that at the end of the hunt a 15-30% gratuity is "expected." Two Zim PHs have told me how much they expect whilst driving to the camp from the airport. A guide Down Under told me to tip very well so his workers would return next year for the good money.

When housekeepers in Zim, when I'm on vacation, get $5-10 for doing my laundry they are very appreciative as it is unexpected. I tipped a waiter $8 for good service at a plaza place in Harare a few days ago and I thought he was going to cry. Unexpected tips and their reaction are the best!

For me, it's not about the tip amount it is the reminders and expectations that is a bit uncomfortable.

In five days my hunt in Zim will end and all staff will get tips. And all expect them. They will all thank me and shake my hand. In today's hunting world, tips are expected. And that's that.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
If anyone lately said it, Cal said it just right
Rest of us grasp the straws...

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Excellent post Mr. Pappas. tu2 tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Tips:

I think I've got this thing figured out as to my attitude toward tipping. I need to draw a comparison to make my point.

A few years go a friend did some work on my house. As a friend, he did not charge me anything nor did he expect to be paid. It was what friends do. He likes to hunt and wanted to save and buy a bolt action rifle in .300 Remington Ultra Mag.

A few months later we went to a gun show and he saw the rifle he wanted. I asked him if he was sure and then said to the vendor, "Fill in the paperwork with his name and I will pay for it." The look of appreciation and surprise on his face was priceless. I will never forget that moment.

Over a year later he again did some work for me. And, again, he wanted a firearm--a semi auto pistol for a .45 Win. Mag. This time it was different. He took me to a place for the highest priced pistol he could find, wanted dies and brass, and was angered when I offered to order him one and he moaned that I should include an additional $20 for postage. I bought him the pistol, but it was not the same experience for me.

I'm a fair tipper, I would guess. Not a rich guy so don't over tip, but I tip an OK amount. No matter, though, when a tip is expected it takes the fun out of giving. On most of my overseas hunts, and my one lame hunt in Idaho, the issue of tipping is brought up prior to the hunt. It is a not-so-suttle hint so as not to forget to tip. Sometimes the hint is mentioned in passing. Other times it is known as a solid fact not only to tip, but in a few cases, how much is expected! I read of an elk guide, Utah maybe, where the information states that at the end of the hunt a 15-30% gratuity is "expected." Two Zim PHs have told me how much they expect whilst driving to the camp from the airport. A guide Down Under told me to tip very well so his workers would return next year for the good money.

When housekeepers in Zim, when I'm on vacation, get $5-10 for doing my laundry they are very appreciative as it is unexpected. I tipped a waiter $8 for good service at a plaza place in Harare a few days ago and I thought he was going to cry. Unexpected tips and their reaction are the best!

For me, it's not about the tip amount it is the reminders and expectations that is a bit uncomfortable.

In five days my hunt in Zim will end and all staff will get tips. And all expect them. They will all thank me and shake my hand. In today's hunting world, tips are expected. And that's that.
Cal

This is exactly what I mean I understand each time an offered hunt includes "tips are not included in the offer".

They make absolutely certain that you understand it has to be taken into consideration.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I use the verbiage "Gratuity at hunter's discretion". To me that let's the uninformed know that a tip is customary but the amount or lack of is completely up to the hunter. I don't see how that is offensive.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys,

I use the verbiage "Gratuity at hunter's discretion". To me that let's the uninformed know that a tip is customary but the amount or lack of is completely up to the hunter. I don't see how that is offensive.

Mark

It's not..some people have too many feelings. It's customary to tip..so tip what you can afford.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys,

Mark

Are we supposed to be offended about restaurants that print on the bill, gratuity not included . . . or that have the temerity to include a line for a gratuity to be added. Of course not. Just another thing for those that are too cheap to tip or too embarrassed to own up to not wanting to tip to complain about.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems strange to me that some seem to suffer from some type of tipping anxiety Confused

I find it an enjoyable part of the experience...it gives me a chance to show my appreciation for their hard work. I guess I've never given much thought about if the guy just before me cramped my style by leaving a bigger one.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Tips:

Cal

On your house? I thought all of you Alaskans lived in igloos...

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just some rambling here, not about Africa, but about tipping.

Having been a part time guide/camp help since 1995, tips are one of the most or is the most variable concepts in the hunting world.

Yes there s a difference between Guided Hunts in North America and African Safaris, the biggest being the amount of staff required.

To me the bottom line on tips has always been that they are a Show Of Appreciation for the job/effort put forth to make the hunt successful and enjoyable.

During the past 22 years I have been tipped anything from 0 to $400.00.

To me, Yes, big tips are wonderful, but in the end I am going to do the EXACT same job, put out the EXACT same amount of effort, and when the hunt is over and the clients leave, whether there is No tip, a 12 pack of Beer, or some cash, regardless the amount, my satisfaction comes from knowing that I did the best job I could and the concept of getting a tip never entered into the equation.

Honestly, I have talked some younger guys out of trying to become guides, because all they could talk about is how much $$$$ they could make from tips.

I told them flat out that if the only reason they were going to guide was for the anticipated "Tips", they needed to stay with their day jobs.

African hunting is different, much more organization/much more support staff, but it still should be up to the individual clients discretion as too how much and who they choose to tip. JAO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To me, Yes, big tips are wonderful, but in the end I am going to do the EXACT same job, put out the EXACT same amount of effort, and when the hunt is over and the clients leave, whether there is No tip, a 12 pack of Beer, or some cash, regardless the amount, my satisfaction comes from knowing that I did the best job I could and the concept of getting a tip never entered into the equation.

If all guides had this attitude, we would probably not be having this discussion.

We have created a bunch of "unknowns" in reality.

The Tracker returning the tip is a perfect example. Yes, I do think the tip was callous.
However, if the guy gave him $100 would he have stil been considered "cheap"?
Heck, the guy could have been guiding Naki stir

And yes, I do hate the expected 20% gratuity for a large group of guests, at a restaurant. If I receive bad service, I do not think they deserve it (it rarely ever happens here).

I guess I should of been offfended when my employer gave me a turkey for my bonus/tip ha ha.

I guess I'll just keep guessing, and tip based on my experience. I sure hope I do not offend anyone Roll Eyes

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Randall and Jason
It is that simple
In Africa, every hunter is assumed " RICH " and so assumingly should be tipping bunch no matter what
They have no idea what lots people where they come from do for living, what they have to put up with to save money for African hunt and the sacrifices they make
That $10 Bozo the clown can go to hell as far as I'm concerned
He is I assume getting paid above average as is in that part of the world right?

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Please, not the tepid excuse again about being a person of such modest means that they cannot afford to tip or can barely afford to tip when they are dropping thousands on a safari, airfare, taxidermy, etc. That excuse is just intellectually vapid.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
It's not about tips overall, at least what I hear from others
It's more about certain expectations and anything below that expectation is simply no good
We all come from all directions and different financial backgrounds
Anyway, probably over 90% of hunters tip at least decent amount, just not necessarily the expected amount and that's where the issue lies

“ Hávamál”

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I keep hearing about the "Expected" amount of the tip or language to that affect. SO what is that amount? I tip what seems reasonable to me. I have no idea what the housekeeping guy expects and frankly I don't give that any thought at all.

The old line "Much to do about nothing" comes to mind.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys,

I keep hearing about the "Expected" amount of the tip or language to that affect. SO what is that amount? I tip what seems reasonable to me. I have no idea what the housekeeping guy expects and frankly I don't give that any thought at all.

The old line "Much to do about nothing" comes to mind.

Mark

If someone comes to you as a first time African hunter is planning a dg buff hunt in Zimbabwe.

He prices out every thing - say $20k with you as booking/sales agent.

Then he ask how much should Cash he should take and how much he should declare and what should he tip.

You don't tell him whatever you find reasonable - you give him an approximate $ figure. That $ figure is expected amount.

Tipping is just part of the cost to going on safari.

I don't see tipping as a big issue after you have been over a few times - both you as hunter/client and your ph have an expectation/understanding of the activity.

I find it strange when a ph who is with an experienced African hunter/consumer has to inform the client of tipping as what happpen to Cal.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Actually not. It goes like this. First I tell them tips are not compulsory and/or they can leave whatever they want. If they want to know what I think is reasonable and most people do I'll give them a figure. I don't take into consideration what a particular safari operation thinks is reasonable/expected whatever you want to call it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com