THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My Searcy 500NE range report-Shootaway saves the day!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Searcy 500NE range report-Shootaway saves the day!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
It's nice to know that Shootaway would never own a trash pre-war English Double and start whittling on it with a dremel.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, your comments are predictable as usual. First, you claim you can file the sight down and fix the "problem"...I don't think that is the problem. If you aren't a gun smithing genius, why are you doing this? Tell me it doesn't take a genius to solve your problems...I need a laugh.

Second, you claim you aren't a gun smithing genius but a shooting genius. Don't you think you should display some of that shooting genius in your "Predictable Accuracy" thread so we can have a point of reference for this claim? You say it, but I think you aren't what you claim to be.

Last, all of us here on the board shoot and have experience. Probably not the same experiences as you. You'd be surprised at who has put animals in the record books and how many hunters live in Alaska. These people are hunters, shooters and good people...not blow hards like you. For example, most folks on the board wouldn't be rattled like you were when someone insinuated that was you in the dress traipsing around in the woods. They would laugh it off.

I think you tipped your hand when you over-reacted.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see results from a session of shooting the same ammunition.
Also, shootaway try wipe-out copper solvent.
It's amazing

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, are you not using the loads that Butch regulated the rifle with?

Tell me it ain't so.

Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck32:
Shootaway Selfie

That is surestrike the beefcake.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes,I am using the loads the rifle was regulated with.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered some 380 loctite for the rear sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I ordered some 380 loctite for the rear sight screw.

Just scope the rifle - all rifles should be scoped. Everyone just shoots better with a scoped rifle.

So much easier to sight in and you don't have to file down anything.

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
I ordered some 380 loctite for the rear sight screw.

Just scope the rifle - all rifles should be scoped. Everyone just shoots better with a scoped rifle.

So much easier to sight in and you don't have to file down anything.

Dont tell people how to live their life.You are a lady or what? Does your wife beat you up? rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Shootaway:
May I ask how you "rate" this double of yours:

the best there ever is and was
excellent
fine
average
below average
garbage
piece of shit

You have seen my rifles, and I'd appreciate you rating them, also. Give me your reasoning, too. This way I may be able to pick up a few hints how to properly look for a double for my next purchase.
Thanks, mate.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just checked the front sight bead I filed down and it turns out that that did nothing because the screw will only lift it up to its original height.
That explains me getting the same POI.I need a new front sight bead.

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need a new front sight bead.

No... What you need is medical help for "Dork'ism"

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try demel tool. grind the top of both barrels to raise the poi

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Shootaway:
May I ask how you "rate" this double of yours:

the best there ever is and was
excellent
fine
average
below average
garbage
piece of shit

You have seen my rifles, and I'd appreciate you rating them, also. Give me your reasoning, too. This way I may be able to pick up a few hints how to properly look for a double for my next purchase.
Thanks, mate.
Cal

The best there ever was.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Moore:
I have to say that the distance between the barrels seems to be getting closer. Remember to measure that distance from center of hole to center of hole. That is your "taint" measurement.

I would say you have concentrated too much on your taint and your elevation is still suffering severely. Since you know everything...you already know that.

Did you realize that if you are filing on the base of the removable front sight that it is still pushed up by the detent ball and spring? Your filing won't make a difference. Now you absolutely know everything that you know. I think you are a Newfie!

Matt

Glad to see you figured out all on your own that filing the front sight was getting you nowhere.

Now about that Dremel! jumping

Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I have to say that the distance between the barrels seems to be getting closer. Remember to measure that distance from center of hole to center of hole. That is your "taint" measurement.

I would say you have concentrated too much on your taint and your elevation is still suffering severely. Since you know everything...you already know that.

Did you realize that if you are filing on the base of the removable front sight that it is still pushed up by the detent ball and spring? Your filing won't make a difference. Now you absolutely know everything that you know. I think you are a Newfie!

Matt

Glad to see you figured out all on your own that filing the front sight was getting you nowhere.

Now about that Dremel! jumping

Matt

I had figured that a long time ago but forgot.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best there ever was.

I realize that this may strain your brain, BUT,

If that's the best there ever was,, And it shot great when it left Butch's shop... What's so different?

A. The temperature?

B. The elevation?

C. The loads?

D. The loose nut behind the triggers?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D?

No guess on that one.

Matt

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Ken, can you explain the "time between shots" and how affects regulation?

In person next week at Dallas, I risk my fragile ego here with George telling me (and it seems everyone else who has offered a suggestion) that I do not know fuck all about double guns. You did know I was sensitive, right Wink
I thought he might take it better from Butch.

WILCO. See you then!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just spoke to Butch about the sight bead and he said he will get them out tomorrow and asked me to call him in the morning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best make real sure you have that rear sight in the proper place using Loctite 380. Only way to loosen it is with direct heat. I don't think you would like the result of that.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue Loctite is more than adequate.

Matt

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Butch may be in for a very long ride. What can he possibly tell him that he doesn't already know? shocker

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn I missed all this entertainment . Thank goodness for a delayed flight.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Hey Larry - You really haven't missed much... Only what happens when the gene pool is left unattended...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JDA-CO

The gene pool is shallow on both ends here and needs a chlorine treatment in the worst way.

Mike said he saw a Baby Ruth candy bar in the pool a la "Caddyshack."

Butch will be dealing with Baby Ruth tomorrow.

Matt

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Matt - You know Butch is reading these threads thinking: "What the hell have I done!".

I feel bad for Butch, in this case. It took shootaway less than 48 hours to pull out the heavy equipment.

Like I stated earlier: By the time this is all said and done, that DR will look like a cuban taxicab... AND, we'll all still be wrong.

The sadistic part of me is enjoying watching shootaway create his own special little cluster-f-ck...

All good in Colorado... I'm a long ways away from where he is...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think we should give shootaway the "2013 AR Entertainer of the Year" award! dancing

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honey Boo Boo....George? I thought they were one and the same?

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 209jones:
Best make real sure you have that rear sight in the proper place using Loctite 380. Only way to loosen it is with direct heat. I don't think you would like the result of that.

I think he should solder it....

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Honey Boo Boo....George? I thought they were one and the same?

Dutch

Mike, you are mistaken. You have Honey Doo Doo confused with Honey Boo Boo.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well this is a first, I have never known or heard of anyone fileing a bead down. If you file down a front sight it must be a partridge such as the NECG gold faced partridge otherwise you end up with a half moon Ivory sight picture or most likely a skinny stem...

To perform such an act is akin to sodomy, and one should be gilflurted and stringhaultered for such. But to each his own so donttroll

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Searcys come with a round silver bead. He said he filed it from the bottom, which is a bad idea too as it will make the dovetail loose. Fortunately, they are also held in with a little setscrew.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say, with all of the headaches Smack is giving me over shipping my damn barrel, etc, that this thread has helped me retain my sanity and sense of humor.

There was a saying when I was a young man: "no matter how down in the dumps and stupid you feel, try to cheer up. Somewhere down the line in this world, there is a bigger doofus/idiot than you."

I always wondered what about that last guy in the line. How does he exist knowing he is the ultimate "F--ktard*". Now I know.

Rich

*The words F--king and Retard combine to create a new word coined by the younger generation. It represents that guy at the end of the line.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to agree on "Most entertaining thread of 2013". Sure beats Saeed and Shakari going round and round and round and round and round, bashing SCI on the African fourm. Is there some kind of trophy or award for this honor?

Larry Sellers
SCI (International) Life Member
Soon to be DSC Member

quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
I think we should give shootaway the "2013 AR Entertainer of the Year" award! dancing

465H&H

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Photos shown of this rifle show it was shipped with a high-vis white bead,

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Searcys come with a round silver bead. He said he filed it from the bottom, which is a bad idea too as it will make the dovetail loose. Fortunately, they are also held in with a little setscrew.

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Have to agree on "Most entertaining thread of 2013". Sure beats Saeed and Shakari going round and round and round and round and round, bashing SCI on the African fourm. Is there some kind of trophy or award for this honor?

Larry Sellers
SCI (International) Life Member
Soon to be DSC Member

quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:

465H&H

I will settle for cash.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I called Butch and we both agreed that the lower POI is probably caused by the extreme difference in temperature between California and Quebec.Got a lower sight bead on the way!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
I called Butch and we both agreed that the lower POI is probably caused by the extreme difference in temperature between California and Quebec.Got a lower sight bead on the way!

faint

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote