THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My Searcy 500NE range report-Shootaway saves the day!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Searcy 500NE range report-Shootaway saves the day!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adamsdjr:
Why not take .075 off and save a trip to the range? Butch will get you a new front sight, so no worries Cool

I cant take that much off.If I did my calculation right it should be about right(chart on 1st page of NECG website-100yds taken)I think NECG has these and I ordered two smaller sizes.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adamsdjr:
Why not take .075 off and save a trip to the range? Butch will get you a new front sight, so no worries Cool

I cant take that much off.I was using the 100yd chart on the NECG website for reference.
I ordered a couple of shorter sights from NECG-I believe they are the same.
If it doesnt work it is no problem at least it will shoot higher and I will have fun shooting the 500NE again!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
George-
Please, just no future mention of Dremel tools. Seriously, you might want to give Butch a call and ask him about
1) which trigger to pull first
2) time between shots
3) how temp will effect ammo
4) shooting style, including rests & how to grip the forearm
5) what will duplicate the load he regulated with, including bullet, powder, primer

Ken - That makes WAY too much sense.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
All this free entertainment makes me feel guilty.
I should pay someone. Who should I pay? Saeed?
Shootaway... You need your own you tube channel reviewing guns. You already have a good following Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
You may be on to something . . . not gun reviews . . . but a reality television show . . . a reality television show about a middle aged man from Queerbec with an increasingly disturbing fascination for guns who believes that he is the vicar of Oliver Winchester and the oracle of all knowledge about shooting . . . hey if Honey Boo Boo can do it why not George.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't go givin him ideas now, Jines. You don't want to be associated with that ,do you?
"Dorf on shooting" Original idea by Mike Jines.
You a baaaaaaaad boy!!!!!

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ken, can you explain the "time between shots" and how affects regulation?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
All this free entertainment makes me feel guilty.

rotflmo

Posts: 356 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
You may be on to something . . . not gun reviews . . . but a reality television show . . . a reality television show about a middle aged man from Queerbec with an increasingly disturbing fascination for guns who believes that he is the vicar of Oliver Winchester and the oracle of all knowledge about shooting . . . hey if Honey Boo Boo can do it why not George.

This is funny

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Funny doesn't quite describe this goofballs antics... Just wait until he finds a spot in the bores or a scratch on the wood... He'll be unloading the dremel and steel wool...

By the time it's all said and done that double will look like a cuban taxicab...

And at the very end, We'll all still be wrong.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is yesterdays target.These were the first two rounds I ever fired from the rifle.
[URL= ]50yds[/URL]
The first of the two targets I shot today after I filed the front sight insert-it turns out that I did not file it evenly with one end being higher so it did not lower the sight.
The group started to shift to the left yesterday and it showed up on todays target.
[URL= ]A[/URL]
I suspect the rear sight screw for the shift-I remember I had to glue the rear sight with acraglass on my Lott and CZ to stop the POI from shifting.
The next target is the second target I shot today right after I adjusted the rear sight.
The rear sight needs to be glue or soldered,IMO.
The rear sight base is not flush with the bottom so any windage adjustment could slightly effect elevation.
[URL= ]B[/URL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:

In person next week at Dallas, I risk my fragile ego here with George telling me (and it seems everyone else who has offered a suggestion) that I do not know fuck all about double guns. You did know I was sensitive, right Wink
I thought he might take it better from Butch.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Well Sootaway - Studying your targets, I see that your handiwork only resulted in an inch of change. I'd go ahead and weld the thing and maybe use some glue, as well. After all, using glue on a DR is standard practice, as is welding.

Another option is to bend the barrels slightly upward. This is easily accomplished: If you place the end of the barrels in a vice - wrapped in an old t-shirt (so as not to damage them), then pull on them as hard as you can. A man of your constitution, both physical and mental, should have the leverage required to bend them. I'd call this the best of all available solutions.

Given the levity of the issues you are having, I think you have lined up the appropriate tools: a torch, vice, file and Monkey Glue should solve all of your problems.

Please report back on your progress.

JDA

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
If this dufus would bother to withdraw his head from the dark orifice and look at Butch's target and the sketch he drew of the proper sight picture then compare to his...

But NO he knows more than anyone that has ever lived on earth about anything known to mankind.

Whistling

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say that the distance between the barrels seems to be getting closer. Remember to measure that distance from center of hole to center of hole. That is your "taint" measurement.

I would say you have concentrated too much on your taint and your elevation is still suffering severely. Since you know everything...you already know that.

Did you realize that if you are filing on the base of the removable front sight that it is still pushed up by the detent ball and spring? Your filing won't make a difference. Now you absolutely know everything that you know. I think you are a Newfie!

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Matt, he's always scratching and sniffing his taint.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In two weeks it won't even be on the paper anymore. Damned shame what's gonna happen to Butch's handiwork; he could have regulated that one by looking down the bores...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10552 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
vertical stacking CHANGES on a double are due to improper hold.

the problem is the nut on the buttpad, george . STOP screwing about with the rifle and call butch

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
vertical stacking CHANGES on a double are due to improper hold.

the problem is the nut on the buttpad, george . STOP screwing about with the rifle and call butch

(Horrors shocker ) That simply cannot be Jeffe!

He already knows more than Butch or anyone about DR's and he's done that in less that a week!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
This is entertainment & agony wrapped in one. Better than watching Mr. Bean on TV. http://www.youtube.com/user/MrBean

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11248 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to get them in the center-whatever it takes-you know that there is NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I am going to get them in the center-whatever it takes-

Try getting very close next time.. rotflmo

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

In person next week at Dallas, I risk my fragile ego here with George telling me (and it seems everyone else who has offered a suggestion) that I do not know fuck all about double guns. You did know I was sensitive, right Wink

Ken what a customer you missed. Shootaway with a VC - he would be gunsmithing his way to paradise. Man is a firearms genius.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:

Ken what a customer you missed. Shootaway with a VC - he would be gunsmithing his way to paradise. Man is a firearms genius.

Mike

correction,I am a shooting genius not a firearms genius

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I am sure if Purdey or H&H sent him a rifle he would find it defective as well.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

My apologies - you are also very entertaining.

Maybe you should try a red dot sight on the double. Heard they help in fast shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I am sure if Purdey or H&H sent him a rifle he would find it defective as well.

You mean Chanel?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Maybe you should try a red dot sight on the double. Heard they help in fast shooting.

Dot color is becoming less important the longer I shoot.As long as there is something there it will do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Dot color is becoming less important the longer I shoot.As long as there is something there it will do.

maybe a sling will help you shoot better

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:

That isn't what the cow said!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, have you ever worked professionally in stand up comedy??

One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Shootaway Selfie

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
you first

quote:
Hey listen,you guys dont know anything about shooting rifles so fuck off.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing to delete.If swearing bothers you just ignore.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Canuck32,

Please remove the photo of the unfortunate fellow
stricken with gender confusion. He certainly does
not deserve to be compared to shootaway.
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with D R Hunter the picture should be removed!
Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well your logic on shooting and adjusting this rifle certainly help explain your targets from your "Predictable accuracy" post......

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
The only thing I feel guilty about is that Butch maybe seeing what Shootaway is doing to his masterpiece.

Butch: Please help him! Chime in here and help the helpless...