THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Head Shots on Deer - For it or Against it.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Head Shots on Deer - For it or Against it.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, even with our best intentions of shot placement, I've watched a perfect broadside feeding deer at less then 100 yards take a bullet in the gut b/c the shooter/hunter flinched. Result was dead deer but I was the one that had to gut it. The hunter was young but had quite a few deer under his belt.

Looking back, at some specific examples, I'd prefer a 8 yard head shot over an 80 yard gut shot, despite the unpopularity of the head shot. Just way to many variables in hunting. I guess I've just tried to strive for doing what is best while hunting, not what is popular or accepted, so long as it was legal. And, at the time, I never considered that head shots would be controversial.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montdoug:
We gotta stop this guys before this thread hits 9 pages. :

horseTOO LATE! horseroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
We gotta stop this guys before this thread hits 9 pages. :

horse TOO LATE! horse roger

Now that there's funny, I don't care who ya are that there's funny. animal

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HeyMontDoug, Do you think your fellow Stunt Head Shooting buddy inherited his vocabulary from:
1. His Mother.
2. His Father.
3. Both.

I feel sure he is a direct reflection of his parentage and they are so proud of their influence on his language. Roll Eyes
-----

"Paul H" must be off Hunting somewhere.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe he learned it from his aunt and uncle? Maybe his aunt was a BAM DI before getting a DD for bad language and that's where the amazing vocabulary came from? Or possibly his aunt and uncle "are" his mom and dad..huh Wink? All the class he's showed before he got ignored I'd suspect his family tree looks a lot like a bamboo shoot hillbilly. Dad met mom at a family reunion, love at first site and all that. Offspring runs around the back yard on his knuckles, swims in the septic tank, you know how it goes.
Having ignored the last few pages of his drivel except that quoted by others I must admit has made this thread a lot more palatable. With all due respect though I do believe you fellas are paying this tard way to much attention. Like I said it's like trying to discuss physics with a gerbil. He's so stupid he hasn't figured out that with the exception of quarry and firearm choice he and I are on the same side of the argument and believe me it hurts terribly to say that Big Grin.
I'm off to greener pastures my friend as I said before "winning a battle of wits with a completely unarmed opponent is no feat of skill". Challenge him to a spelling bee, that ought to really mess him up Confused.
Truly Hot Core, the guys pathetic.
I must admit I am a bit surprised that even if the language hasn't fired up the moderators yet the talk of shooting people and death wishes hasn't caused a stir. Oh well, not my site.
Hasta.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
HeyMontDoug, Do you think your fellow Stunt Head Shooting buddy inherited his vocabulary from:
1. His Mother.
2. His Father.
3. Both.

Respectfully, Folks - all of you! My young hunting buddy has just escaped with his life –(while out fishing, of all places Confused) - after spending 7 hours hanging onto a fuel tank in the cold sea, in the dark. We had just been out on an unsuccessful hunt and were planning our next (more successful) trip. Those thoughts kept him motivated to survive! He made it to shore at 04:00 this morning (with his fishing rod!???... ) and was able to direct the rescuers to his mate who was still in the water. He's alive but not able to make the hunting trip - yet!

Somehow this head shot/stunt man/or whatever, thing has lost its significance in the face of life and death. (And we are talking hunting buddies).

May we stop this now? Please? You are all honourable folks and I would be happy to hunt with any of you! (In fact - it would be great if it were possible. But I am on another continent. No wait - make that an island! bewildered)

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
303Guy
I'm so pleased at the outcome of your pals situation. Not only that but this topic has grown childish all out of proportion to any possible positive out come. Especially my part in it and for that I apologize.
Consider this my last post on this thread and thank you for putting this all back into perspective.
Have a great new year and wish your buddy well for me.
Sincerely. Doug

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
303Guy....Have a great new year and wish your buddy well for me.
Sincerely. Doug

Thank you MontDoug and all the best for the future. Safe Shooting to you too! Smiler

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 303Guy, Sure glad to hear your buddy made it.

The older we get, the more our buddies make the transition to which ever way they are headed. Sure don't need to hurry things along any faster with bad luck.

Lost my best Hunting buddy to Cancer a few years ago and think of him quite often. I never see a Deer that I don't remember how we would immediately begin to wonder aloud about where it had been and where it was headed.

But I do not see this site or any threads as having anything to do with my old buddy. I come here to learn from other folks and share my experience with them. And occasionally to let a Fool make a complete Fool of himself.
-----

Hey MontDoug, Sounds like you hit real close to the (in)breeding lineage. thumb

No, Death Threats do not get folks banned from this site - not in the Rules. I've seen a few posted by people who would go crying to their Mamas as soon as you got within a mile of them. I know I'm considerably more worried about having a hangnail. Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
1. His Mother.
2. His Father.
3. Both.

Respectfully, Folks - all of you! My young hunting buddy has just escaped with his life –(while out fishing, of all places Confused) - after spending 7 hours hanging onto a fuel tank in the cold sea, in the dark. We had just been out on an unsuccessful hunt and were planning our next (more successful) trip. Those thoughts kept him motivated to survive! He made it to shore at 04:00 this morning (with his fishing rod!???... ) and was able to direct the rescuers to his mate who was still in the water. He's alive but not able to make the hunting trip - yet!

Somehow this head shot/stunt man/or whatever, thing has lost its significance in the face of life and death. (And we are talking hunting buddies).

May we stop this now? Please? You are all honourable folks and I would be happy to hunt with any of you! (In fact - it would be great if it were possible. But I am on another continent. No wait - make that an island! bewildered)

Thank god he made it out - sure hope & pray he will be Ok. Something like this will surely jerk you back to the here & now! My father used to sit me down and make me read "The Day the Duck Hunters Died" everytime I did something stupid or pulled a boneheaded trick. Sort of a reality check?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Folks.
quote:
Something like this will surely jerk you back to the here & now!

Sure did!
This fellow is far too young to 'speed things up'! I ribbed him a bit about his 'swim'. He says he saw a few sharks swim buy. Eeker

quote:
I come here to learn from other folks and share my experience with them.

Yup! Me too. From my buddy I learned not to go fishing in a dodgy boat! Big Grin

Regards
303Guy

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my old MARINE CORPS buddies has lived in Florida all his civilian life. He and his wife love to go off-shore fishing and invited me all the time. I'd check the weather, he would check the weather and off I'd go. 60% of the time, I'd get there and a Squall would form out of nowhere, then occasionally become a Hurricane.

Saw some very interesting things down there below Miami. We were South of Homestead and a squall line developed just as we pulled in to launch the boat. We waited a bit and went in to eat. Into the Cay came a long Matte Black Cigarette Boat that belonged to the Drug Enforcement folks. So I walked over in the rain to look at it and I could tell they were a bit anxious about anyone getting too close.

As I was walking back toward my buddies Boat, the rain had been going for 20min or so. Then I noticed a small stream of water directly under the boat. Strange spot for water to be coming off the boat. When I looked under the boat, my buddy had "Rigged" a patch over a small hole and the patch was about to fall off. I was certainly not happy about that situation, especially when we planned to be out where you could barely see land. But it didn't concern him at all. nilly

We headed back up the state and I pulled in a nice paved 2-lane road headed toward part of Homestead AFB. Just wanted to check the Boat Tarp and get some soda pops. No place to pull off, so we kept going and finally spot a Guard House. I figured we could turn around there and stop long enough to get the drinks.

For some reason, the Sentries looked at the Bronco coming toward them with fogged-up windows, loaded with people, towing a Tarp covered Boat in a frog strangling rain and decided we "might" be terrorists. All kinds of Air Force Sentries standing out in the rain with their M16s - in their Class A Uniforms. Not enough time to slip on their rain gear once they realized we weren't a Jeep.

So, I eased the window down a bit and told them what we were trying to do. I looked in the outside mirrors and saw two Jeeps behind us and the guys were climbing out of them too.

Eventually they understood we were not terrorists and helped us get turned around. Even gave them some soda pops.

On the way out of there my old buddy said, "Don't you just know they are REALLY upset with us getting them all wet?!?!?!"

I thought about it and decided, "Their rifles probably needed a good cleaning anyhow!", and back on the road we go. beer