THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Head Shots on Deer - For it or Against it.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Head Shots on Deer - For it or Against it.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
The stunt man lives on I see.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:

And got an eighth page thanks to you!

Cheers matey!

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom`:
....but I think the Boks still would have beat them in the final. Big Grin .....

I am an ex-pat - so that would have been preferable! Smiler But I like my new country - a lot!
quote:
If you are against it maybe I could start a charity, "Kevlar head covers for ruminants and such." We could do infomercials late at night like Sally Struthers and the poor African children. "Save this poor animal from tom` with a .223! It's the least you can do! For only a dollar a day you could put part of a kevlar helmet on the head of something tasty tom` wants to shoot with an undersized cartridge. That's less than I bet you spend at Starbucks. Just do it, for the good of the saving the food animals!"

I'm still chuckling about the copper telephone wires thing!!!! Big Grin Big Grin

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:

I am an ex-pat - so that would have been preferable! Smiler But I like my new country - a lot!

Bet NZ doesn't give you "free" 5.56 to practice and hunt with if you know the right people like SA. Big Grin

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
..."Save this poor animal from tom` with a .223! ...
Once the folks all realize the blowhard doesn't have a clue where the Bullets could actually be flying, they would see through him like anyone following this thread.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
..."Save this poor animal from tom` with a .223! ...
Once the folks all realize the blowhard doesn't have a clue where the Bullets could actually be flying, they would see through him like anyone following this thread.

Or keep laughing at you like a lot of them have, including some of the forum mods. Keep digging, you're nearing China with every post.

diggin

Question for the self-anoited master ballistician here: If I don't know where my bullets fly why do they keep hitting what and where I want them to hit? Am I a godlike being with supernatural luck? Or are you just an opinionated blowhard who likes to call others blowhards?

I wasn't the one that posted that you were "perhaps so narrow minded that it'd be amazing if you had two inches between your ears" on a different but related thread. But I agree with them.

I bet if you ever went to Africa and noted that most everything that's culled on the game farms and reserves there is culled with .223-.303/.30-06/.308 you'd have a fookin stroke but it's still done and you can go over there and talk to the game officers and tell them that maybe they are doing it wrong and they will also laugh at you. Friend that guides on a ranch with large exotics here in central Texas never carries more than a .25-06. Maybe you can tell him he's wrong too but the funny thing is, he actually makes a living doing these things and you are a random person on the internet that likes to insult people, which doesn't help your credibility.

I believe a "blowhard" might be somebody that INTENTIONALLY STARTED A THREAD TO TRY TO PICK FIGHTS. Where does that leave a person that goes by "HOT CORE" ? Seems it leaves him getting rather pissy when some people agreed with me and disagreed with him.

Po' HOT CORE
Frowner

At what point will you cry and take your ball and go home? I'm still finding this entertaining so you can keep slow pitching softballs if it gets your rocks off and I'll keep swinging the bat and hitting them over the fence.

UPDATE for the dimwitted:
New AMERICAN RIFLEMAN was in the mailbox today, just took a gander, has a nice article on "half mile .22s" and makes mention of using them for deer hunting at great ranges.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Tom

Keep after the bastards. I don't miss much by having them on ignore and admired your drive to show them for what they are.

Go get'm

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Cheers matey!

Well "Head head shot man", maybe they will give you your own topic. But just remember .. you did not start this thread.....so it is not your 8 pages.
It is more like 8 sheets off the roll so to speak.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cheers matey!

Well "Head head shot man", maybe they will give you your own topic. But just remember .. you did not start this thread.....so it is not your 8 pages.

Lemme do a quick check as to who I should listen to:

Craig Boddington
Doctari Robertson
Ray Chapman
Leonard Bull
Pieter Steenburg
Christian Nieubauer
Ross Seyfreid
Thell Reed
or "ireload2, montdoug, and hot core" who think they are important via the interwebs.

The last line there was a joke just like y'all are.

I didn't start the thread but I ended your little moral superiority circle jerk fest long ago, you just haven't caught on yet. Maybe that other fellow was right about the 2 inches between your ears, if that. Mom should have told the doctor to be more careful with the forceps when he was helping birth you.

I couldn't have gotten half the laughs and PM accolades as I have without y'all's efforts so I must give y'all significant credit in this thread for it's longevity. Gave me a good story for stand up open-mic nights, too, though I still haven't sorted out exactly how I shall make fun of you...it takes a while to get the timing and wording properly sorted. If you give me your real names maybe I'll give you liner note credits if I bother to put out a CD. Or, you can keep blathering on about your superiority until nobody listens to anything you say at all. Your call.

If you can think of 32 more idiotic/bigoted things to say and post them as individual posts we could get a page 9. Just something for you to think about, not encouraging or discouraging.

When I headshoot a whitetail with a .17 Rem this year I'll dedicate it to y'all. It's legal, being a centerfire and living here in Texas and I bet the whitetail doe will make it all the way from where she was standing to sprawled on the ground in 2 seconds or less.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cheers matey!

Lemme do a quick check as to who I should listen to:

Craig Boddington
Doctari Robertson
Ray Chapman
Leonard Bull
Pieter Steenburg
Christian Nieubauer
Ross Seyfreid
Thell Reed
or "ireload2, montdoug, and hot core" who think they are important via the interwebs.

The last line there was a joke just like y'all are.

I didn't start the thread but I ended your little moral superiority circle jerk fest long ago, you just haven't caught on yet. Maybe that other fellow was right about the 2 inches between your ears, if that. Mom should have told the doctor to be more careful with the forceps when he was helping birth you.

I couldn't have gotten half the laughs and PM accolades as I have without y'all's efforts so I must give y'all significant credit in this thread for it's longevity. Gave me a good story for stand up open-mic nights, too, though I still haven't sorted out exactly how I shall make fun of you...it takes a while to get the timing and wording properly sorted. If you give me your real names maybe I'll give you liner note credits if I bother to put out a CD. Or, you can keep blathering on about your superiority until nobody listens to anything you say at all. Your call.

If you can think of 32 more idiotic/bigoted things to say and post them as individual posts we could get a page 9. Just something for you to think about, not encouraging or discouraging.

When I headshoot a whitetail with a .17 Rem this year I'll dedicate it to y'all. It's legal, being a centerfire and living here in Texas and I bet the whitetail doe will make it all the way from where she was standing to sprawled on the ground in 2 seconds or less.

A few more weeks of this and you will earn a room of your own in Wichita Falls....have fun...
The only guy you listen to is the little voice inside that you keep losing arguments to.
The "head man" legend lives on... at least in your size .17 head

>>>I bet the whitetail doe will make it all the way from where she was standing to sprawled on the ground in 2 seconds or less.<<<

Ask yourlist of shooters above if they would duplicate your feat? I am sure they will listen to you too.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
tom' wrote:
quote:
When I headshoot a whitetail with a .17 Rem this year

This quote speaks volumes about your hunting intellect -- or rather your tremendous lack thereof.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9340 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
horse

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

A few more weeks of this and you will earn a room of your own in Wichita Falls....have fun...
The only guy you listen to is the little voice inside that you keep losing arguments to.
The "head man" legend lives on... at least in your size .17 head

>>>I bet the whitetail doe will make it all the way from where she was standing to sprawled on the ground in 2 seconds or less.<<<

Ask yourlist of shooters above if they would duplicate your feat? I am sure they will listen to you too.

If I or you had their phone numbers and were friends with them, and you were to guess who YOU were, I bet you know who you are. You're like a stupider version of Kim du Moffie. Maybe you could start your own blog, "The Other Side of When I Reload My Pants II" ? Hell, maybe you ARE kim the twat. Ya never know. I put my face and name on things and you're still some faceless nameless twat on the internet.

One of the shooters on that list WAS ON THE HUNT and lent me his rifle to make the feat happen. One of the others said "nice shot, nice mare."

You eat enough crow yet? I'm not force feeding it to you but if you want more crow I'll round some more up. Perhaps you would prefer some .223 rounds in an enema bag in molten lead form?

You can keep looking stupid as long as you want and I'm not going to let you slide.

Didn't your daddy ever tell you that if you act like a know it all moralistic asshole people would treat you like an asshole? S'pose you're too stupid to learn but you sure are fun to make fun of.

One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
Chuckle......you're having wayyyy too much fun with this Tom. The reload my pants bit just makes me grin....you got a good sense of humor....

Dave

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12FVSS260:
Chuckle......you're having wayyyy too much fun with this, Tom......
He is wicked! Wink

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
E Arthur Brown Company and UPS brought me a 15" bull barrel in .223AI for my Contender that has been wearing the light contour 12" barrel in the same chambering. Guess what I plan to do with it! Deer better have helmets.

I'll admit it. Way too much fun but, god dammit, somebody has to have some sense of humor around here. I like to think that, at least when I drop down to their insult level, I make some people chuckle. Not just come across as a sanctimonious prat.

I'm gonna go "mount my new barrel" and get it scopified and collimated. Christmas came early in a big brown truck. Was s'posed to be backordered until February.

Cheers,
tom

P.S.: I get people on 4 continents and a pretty South Pacific island laughing at some silly people and I'm the bad guy here? Nope.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I truthfully hit within 6" of where I wanted to as to POA. My money, my ethics, my hunt. ....
Somehow I managed to miss this in all his desire to Kill people and whine to his momma.

It seems the Freedom Freeloader(too big of a coward and way too spineless to enter the military) believes being within 6" of a 2" Target at 3xxyds is plenty accurate enough to "attempt" a Stunt Head Shot. That defines the ethics of the moron better than I can and he did it to himself. And he is blowhard enough to think ANYONE can't see through his ignorance.

Anyone wonder "Why?" all his so called frineds haven't jumped into the thread to defend his "honor"? bsflag

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stardate: 12/22/2007
(note for the Moron Contingent, Axis and Fallow tend to be BIG compared to whiteytails especially when they are competing for the same food sources which is why the Parks People want rid of them)

In today's news for moron anti-headshooters:

"The National Park Service approved a plan last year to get rid of about 1,100 fallow and axis deer using a combination of contraception and high-powered rifles. A Connecticut company, White Buffalo Inc., was hired to do the shooting. About 400 deer were killed in the late summer and fall, park officials said."

http://www.whitebuffaloinc.org/faq.htm

Read their web page:

"Once deer distribution is assessed, access to private properties is obtained and then safe shooting areas are selected. A baiting program is established to pattern the deer and bring them to these areas. Shooting lanes are then cleared to ensure that there are no obstructions in the trajectory of the bullet. Patterns of human activity (i.e. dog walking, school bus routes, joggers) are recorded to determine the timing of removal at set locations which results in maximal safety and discretion. For each site, we select one of eleven specialized weapon systems each designed for select site characteristics. This decision is dependent on maximal shooting range, acceptable noise, proximity to homes and deer abundance. Deer are euthanized with a single shot to the head to ensure a humane kill and that deer do not exit the authorized property."

Those park service and wildlife people are NUTTY!, eh?

Want some mustard with your head shot crow or perhaps a salsa, Hot Head et al? Taters on the side? Light or dark meat? White whine? You seem to like your whines. Just trying to be a good host here...

400 is a pretty good score for people that likely don't even "know where their bullets are going..."

Hot Core, are you available for my next hunt so I can bring you along as a ballistic prediction computer if I promise not to use a .223 on head shots? Sometimes I get really confused about this whole ballistics, wind, and aiming thing and I'm sure you could help me...or else I could have met you in person and laughed at you directly in your face, depending on how things were to work out in your predicting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For each site, we select one of eleven specialized weapon systems each designed for select site characteristics. This decision is dependent on maximal shooting range, acceptable noise, proximity to homes and deer abundance. Deer are euthanized with a single shot to the head to ensure a humane kill and that deer do not exit the authorized property."

Not mentioned is the
1. Caliber
2. Range
What is mentioned is it is not a zebra.

The cullers are not stunt shooters.
They are professionals shooting baited animals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like to think that, at least when I drop down to their insult level, I make some people chuckle. Not just come across as a sanctimonious prat.

Cheers,
tom

P.S.: I get people on 4 continents and a pretty South Pacific island laughing at some silly people and I'm the bad guy here? Nope.

Yep...
You are just rookie here that does not know when you have foul hooked yourself.
Ole Hot Core threw just threw out some stink bait and you ran in an took a chomp at it and missed, but as you went by you got a treble hook in the gut....
And now everyone is laughing because you really take yourself serious.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I sincerely hope you good folks are not being serious here! Big Grin

Merry Christmas to All and Good Hunting for the New Year! Smiler

Regards
303Guy

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The "good folks" have seriously caught the blowhard in his moronic tale. He even admited the best his rifle can do is 6" at the distance he claimed to make the Stunt Head Shot - and yet - he still dosen't understand.

Now he has a story about Cullers and has no clue about the distances involved or equipment they would be using. The nice thing about it though, the more he posts the more people are able to see through him.

quote:
Right back to you.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I reckon if these "folks" are/were serious they are brain damaged and if they aren't, well, they did a nice troll but lost. They need to learn to ask people if they want to circle jerk before starting one against the wills of others.

Happy hunting to you too.

Tom

Make sure to chip in on the deer helmet fund so Sally Struthers and Co. don't get mad at you and call you unethical.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to distances, gear, and culling...you started this thread implying anybody that head shot deer was an asshole and kept after it, from how you come across you'd say it was unethical at under a yard or at a thousand yards. That's because you are a moronic bigot. Keep digging.

diggin

Originally posted by Hot Core and then repeatedly for WEEKS:

Within 6 inches is all I needed and when you pay for my hunts and travel, you, if arranged ahead of time, can have a say, otherwise, I'm gonna pound you into the sand for being a cocksucking arrogant ignorant bigoted asshole and I'd do it in person too.

Go tell Hathcock's kids that he never made the shots he made. Go down to your local police range and say "you must have faked that." Otherwise SHUT THE FUCKING FUCK UP YOU STUPID BIGOTED TWAT.

Happy Christmas and Merry New Year, you stupid ignorant bigoted fuckhead.

I mean that truly from my heart.

May someday a ND find you in the head, hopefully in a small caliber that you think won't kill you. .17 Rem would be nice if it were to happen.

Did your mom have any children that lived?

pissers

I'm going back to Africa in March. You are welcome to pay for my trip and yours and come along and critique my style, I'll even allow that if you are going to pay, or else we are back to SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU STUPID BIGOT.

Proof is in the pudding and the pudding is on my walls. Know how many animals I have had to shoot twice in my life? One. A wildebeest. Want to know how many animals I ever wounded and lost. None.

Eat a box of dick for Christmas. Do it the day after and call it Boxing Day.

You WERE NOT THERE. You DID NOT MAKE THE JUDGEMENT CALL. YOU ARE MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACKING SOMEBODY ELSE'S SUCCESSFUL HUNT...AND BEING AN ASSHOLE WHILE YOU DO IT.

How do you aim to make this positive for you and your reputation with others unless you want to be known as a continual dickhead?

What are you trying to achieve here?

Have you put in for a pension based on whether or not you have a severe mental disability? If so, you are looking at a pretty easy ride to your monthly check.

If you are a vet, my dad runs a VA psych hospital, he might be able to get you a room at the inn, as it were. Bit late to catch the fall colors but Michigan still has it's pretty parts. They might let you out to go look at the goldfish pond on Sundays after church services if you behave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to distances, gear, and culling...you started this thread implying anybody that head shot deer was an asshole and kept after it, from how you come across you'd say it was unethical at under a yard or at a thousand yards. That's because you are a moronic bigot. Keep digging.

diggin

Within 6 inches is all I needed and when you pay for my hunts and travel, you, if arranged ahead of time, can have a say, otherwise, I'm gonna pound you into the sand for being a cocksucking arrogant ignorant bigoted asshole and I'd do it in person too.

Go tell Hathcock's kids that he never made the shots he made. Go down to your local police range and say "you must have faked that." Otherwise SHUT THE FUCKING FUCK UP YOU STUPID BIGOTED TWAT.

May someday a ND find you in the head, hopefully in a small caliber that you think won't kill you. .17 Rem would be nice if it were to happen.

pissers

I'm going back to Africa in March. You are welcome to pay for my trip and yours and come along and critique my style, I'll even allow that if you are going to pay, or else we are back to SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU STUPID BIGOT.

Proof is in the pudding and the pudding is on my walls. Know how many animals I have had to shoot twice in my life? One. A wildebeest. Want to know how many animals I ever wounded and lost. None.

You WERE NOT THERE. You DID NOT MAKE THE JUDGEMENT CALL. YOU ARE MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACKING SOMEBODY ELSE'S SUCCESSFUL HUNT...AND BEING AN ASSHOLE WHILE YOU DO IT.

How do you aim to make this positive for you and your reputation with others unless you want to be known as a continual dickhead?

Have you put in for a pension based on whether or not you have a severe mental disability? If so, you are looking at a pretty easy ride to your monthly check.

If you are a vet, my dad runs a VA psych hospital, he might be able to get you a room at the inn, as it were. Bit late to catch the fall colors but Michigan still has it's pretty parts. They might let you out to go look at the goldfish pond on Sundays after church services if you behave.
I'll just capture this so it can't be erased.

Now, whoever tossed Varmint Guy off the Board should have plenty there to do the same with this fool.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core
You have a captured a classic there.

One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
was an asshole and kept after it

You got that one right and just to anwser you

Yup inbred badly and struck head after having a stroke so you were right. Do not hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back for getting it all right wow you are the champ.

Happy Holidays Buddy

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

diggin

pissers

Merry Christmas Stunt Man

If you look at my first post it merely related that the serial head shooters that I have spoken to used .223 and .22-250 because they were adverse to recoil. It was an accurate statement.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
First, I want to post something then I'll go back and read all 8 pages.

As a rule, I do not make it a habit to attempt head shots. However, I've made a few head shots at very close range and I put the bullet square in the forehead on 2.

I've killed 3 deer, all Does, with head shots simply because everything was conducive to do so.

1 and 2: both were feeding on acorns about 7-9 yards from the base of my tree and both were facing my tree. Heads to the ground, (2 different hunts but same stand). Having a scoped 270, the target was plenty big. In both instances I was hunting a narrow ridgeline that had a steep drop off on either side, so I figured that with a head shot, there would be no chance of retrieving them off the edge.

I put the crosshair at the posterior aspect of the skull right between the ears knowing the bullet would be ~ 1 inch lower than that at this close range. In both instances the kills were bang flops as the bullets entered the posterior/superior aspect of the brain and centered right into the brain stem. I was much younger and had only been hunting for a year or so when I made the decision to shoot these deer this way.

In 1995 I was in north MO hunting on a very cold day. There was about 8" of snow on the ground. I watched 6 or 7 Does bed down right below me. I was standing at the edge of a cut corn field and they were below me about 30 yards. I just finished taking a leak and zipped up, getting ready to head to my truck. They were in some thick spruce/hardwood mix and never saw me which was quite surprising.

I watched them stand around for about 5 minutes before the first Doe, the biggest, laid down. I had managed to belly up behind a large cut oak stump. From my angle, the big doe's rump was to me and she was bedded, with her head looking to my left and slightly away. I watched them all for about 10 minutes. With every single doe, the only shots I had were either in the head or up the butt or no shot at all.

I wanted the largest Doe. I had about a 25 yard shot. I put the scope on "5" and rested the rifle on the stump. The rest was solid. I looked at her face and she was relaxed with her eyes half open as if she was thinking of a nap. My view was a quartering away shot at the back of her head, with her nose mostly facing away. I put the crosshair about an inch to the left of the back of her occiput so the shot would be in the center mass of her brain. Boom, bullet hit right where I was aiming.

I'm confident that there are hunters who would strongly object to the fashion in which these 3 deer were killed. I don't advise head shots unless they seem like a "no brainer".....oh, actually, I mean a definite "brainer." In my case, they all worked out and I believe that they would all be easily repeatable. However, I have had the opportunity, hundreds of times since then, but have not taken any more headshots. But, that does not mean I won't ever again.

While the following photo is representative about how large the target was when I made the 2 shot early in my career, the pose is different. Still, with a 1 pound trigger and a scope centered on this deer's forehead, I think this would be an easy enough shot just as easy as a nice quartering away thoracic shot. Either one would do wouldn't it?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montdoug:

The old meat cutter stated that when you deliver a C.N.S. hit (brain or spine) to an animal everything stops instantly, "everything!". The outcome of that is that all the blood trapped in the extremities stays there and effects the flavor of the meat (for better or worse). In this case with a mulie in his opinion and mine if he's right, for worse. He went on that when shot in the lungs as we all know the critter usually makes a big hop followed by a mad dash of about 25 or 30 yards and piles up. During that time in his opinion the heart is still pumping and while all the blood is drawn through the lungs they got a hole in em so it don't get pumped back out into the extremities where it came from, draining the extremities of blood. Hence better meat.

Ok, here's my take on the butcher's comments. If all the blood stops pumping at the instant the bullet disrupts all brain activity, the amount of blood in the extremities will be LESS compared to a deer hit in the lungs that manages to make a "mad dash." This is basic physiology. A brain shot with a resultant instant kill would leave the animal's blood flow from a normal pump to an instant stop.

However, if a deer it hit and then suddenly takes off, blood is pumping like crazy to the extemity skeletal muscles, the ones you EAT, hence when they finally do pile up, those muscles will have much more blood in them than a relaxed head shot deer.

In short, from a physiologic standpoint, I respectfully disagree 100% with the butcher's opinion since it bears no physiological sense.

I'm also willing to bet that if I killed 4 deer, either whitetail, or mulie, 2 bucks, and 2 does, one mixed pair with head shots and resultant instant kills, the other 2 with archery where they both managed to run 100 yards, that I could cook up 4 back strap steaks, one from each, and no one could identify which was which. I'm willing to bet this because I've done multiple meals with various kills and in 20+ years, no one has been right yet.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Listen, I understand the controversy about head shots. I've seen deer snap their heads to look around so even if we had a steady dead nuts rest on their head, they can move quick. I also understand Hot Core's comments on "understanding deer movement."

That is why I shot the 2 feeding deer AFTER they looked around and put their heads back down. As soon s they stuck there snouts into the leaves, I pulled the trigger.

At 8 yards, what would be so difficult on this shot?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc you may well be right. His explanation made sense to me so between that and seeing a jaw blown off I decided for the most part to lung shoot em. Having said that you'll note I shot my cow and finished my buddies friends bull this year both with neck shots.
Bottom line is I prefer lung shots but if the situation is perfect and I'm 100percent comfortable with it I'll take a neck shot. The other factor is I've hunted enough to be a 100 percent comfortable passing up on a lot of shots too and frequently do.
Would I attempt a 300 yard shot on a big game animal with a varmint rifle? "Absolutely not" under "ANY" circumstances EVER!!! I'd like to check outta this deal still being able to consider myself a "sportsman". To me there is a big difference between that and just killing things, any clown with a gun can do that as displayed by this thread.
Merry Christmas all you guys. My thanks to the site providers for the hang out and most especially the ignore button Big Grin .

Tom, "SEEK HELP"!!! "PROFESSIONAL HELP". LOT'S OF IT!!! Check in, wear the pajamas, all of it. It's your only chance.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, What kind of Deer is the Black one?

Merry Christmas to all you folks!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Doc, What kind of Deer is the Black one?

Merry Christmas to all you folks!

Tufted Deer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting Doc, thanks for posting that. Fascinating to me all the worlds animals. Some so similar yet so different.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doc. I had no idea they even existed. Kind of thought it might have been a young Goat, but the "hair" looked too straight and the nose a bit different.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Either one would do wouldn't it?

At 25 yards it is an easy shot but I suspect you are using a rifle adequate for the range too.

But 300 yards at a zebra with a .223? Not me.
Besides why shoot a "horse" in the head? We have a horse head shortage on this thread.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides why shoot a "horse" in the head? We have a horse head shortage on this thread.

I wasn't even gonna go there Big Grin, but...this is no way a judgment of anyone that has an interest in hunting Zebras (unless it's head shots with varmint rifles). Personally however, shooting stripey horses don't blow my hair back. What can I say, this is Montana and we use horses to get to where we're going hunting then to haul out dead animals with em when we're done.
Totally a personal take and if a guy likes hunting them good on ya but I think with all the animals I like hunting at the various sites in Africa even if they gave me a free tag (which they don't) I'll pass thanks. Same-same with Baboons, Hippos and Crocs. I'm a plains game kinda guy, with real rifles Wink. I reiterate, not a judgment of others hunting interests.
We gotta stop this guys before this thread hits 9 pages. The topic was valid and obviously brought up some heated opinions but I fear it took a left turn from sanity a while back. See ya all on other threads.
Hot Core you a BAD MAN!!! killpc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same guy that let me make the Zebra shot has guided and PH'd Sam Fadala multiple times. Judging by his part of my bookshelf, he's an ignorant asshole too.

Continue your circle jerk or else pay for my hunts. New .223 AI Contender Barrel does sub MOA so the deer will need helmets again. Remember to chip in on the "kevlar for deer" fund. And for the people that can't do math, Being able to plan on getting within a 6" circle at a particular range isn't the same as being able to hit within 6" of point of aim.

Go pat yourselves on the back and blow each other for all I care. Maybe you could earn some money that way off each other to pay for one of my hunts so you can come along and be a critic?

Just remember, after the day's hunting, back at camp, you can't blow me like you like to blow each other. Not my cup of tea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:

At 8 yards, what would be so difficult on this shot?

Your conscience after you realized you just did something that made pantsloader, fake montana man, and the hot head sad because you aren't supposed to be able to do that without inadvertently wounding an animal and causing much trauma to their community of three.

This is s'posed to be a place of sharing knowledge but some back seat drivers and Monday morning quarterbacks want to turn it into a circle jerk and I'll beat their heads in before I let that happen.

Besides, it's fun to laugh at retards.