THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles
Page 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 69

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom stick

It is MS Excel Ballistic Calculator for long range shooters."(XLS) Ballistics Table-Jackson Rifles" (for free) The third down on the Google page.

A great basic tool for calculating bullet path, vindage, MOA and even a particular bullet Ballistic Coefficient for given situation.

Pyzda

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy, I am going to let you guys sort out .410 B&Ms. Then let me know! HEH.....

I have a bit of B&M/MDM news this morning. Yesterday I was playing with one of the 500 MDMs and the 450 BBW#13 Solid--To 2530 fps. In reality, when I go to the field with this, I will probably drop down to 2450 fps or so and run with that. I ordered a batch of these, but I also ordered a run of Matching #13 NonCons to go with it. I am going to change up my buffalo/hippo/elephant loads in both 50 B&M and 500 MDM to these bullets. And, throw in a mix with the 450 North Fork NEW FPS and CPS.

As we 500 MDM guys know, 375 RUM brass is not currently available. I have a 1000 pieces on backorder, was supposed to already be in by now, but alas it is not. Expected date now is 2/2013.
So, I had some already primed 338 RUM brass on the bench yesterday, while I was loading some 500 MDM. Light bulb came on!!!! Hey, lets see if we can blow some of this out to 500 MDM? Yes, I know it will be shorter than 2.8 specs, but lets just see if we can. I loaded 3 cornmeal rounds, and blew them out, trimmed them and loaded them up. While they were some shorter than the 375s, they gave the same results on at least one load I tried against the 375 brass. So in a pinch, you can make a slightly shorter 500 MDM out of 338 RUM brass without much issue. Just FYI......

As mentioned on terminals, I really like this 250 #13 NonCon in the 458 B&M and Super SHort. Just got off the phone with Dan, and we have a 220-225 gr 416 in the works, to do the same sort of mission, which is anything short of buffalo in my opinion right now. Sounds nuts, but it is true.

Just talk, off to the range now.
Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go ahead and put me down for a few of the new 416's to test

I do love that 416.

Hehehehe

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Boomy, I am going to let you guys sort out .410 B&Ms. Then let me know! HEH.....

I have a bit of B&M/MDM news this morning. Yesterday I was playing with one of the 500 MDMs and the 450 BBW#13 Solid--To 2530 fps. In reality, when I go to the field with this, I will probably drop down to 2450 fps or so and run with that. I ordered a batch of these, but I also ordered a run of Matching #13 NonCons to go with it. I am going to change up my buffalo/hippo/elephant loads in both 50 B&M and 500 MDM to these bullets. And, throw in a mix with the 450 North Fork NEW FPS and CPS.

As we 500 MDM guys know, 375 RUM brass is not currently available. I have a 1000 pieces on backorder, was supposed to already be in by now, but alas it is not. Expected date now is 2/2013.
So, I had some already primed 338 RUM brass on the bench yesterday, while I was loading some 500 MDM. Light bulb came on!!!! Hey, lets see if we can blow some of this out to 500 MDM? Yes, I know it will be shorter than 2.8 specs, but lets just see if we can. I loaded 3 cornmeal rounds, and blew them out, trimmed them and loaded them up. While they were some shorter than the 375s, they gave the same results on at least one load I tried against the 375 brass. So in a pinch, you can make a slightly shorter 500 MDM out of 338 RUM brass without much issue. Just FYI......

As mentioned on terminals, I really like this 250 #13 NonCon in the 458 B&M and Super SHort. Just got off the phone with Dan, and we have a 220-225 gr 416 in the works, to do the same sort of mission, which is anything short of buffalo in my opinion right now. Sounds nuts, but it is true.

Just talk, off to the range now.
Michael

Thanks for the testing of the new 450 gr in the 500. Moving along at 2500 fps, pretty good. Any word on the 500 mdm brass form Jameson i believe it was?

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Boomy,

I killed some time last night dummying a prototype 410 B&M SS in QuickDESIGN then over to QL for 'what if' work... It is doable but I would recommend against the .410/.411 caliber and advocate a .416 caliber SS if you were to do one. There's a better variety of light weight C&C and monometal rifle bullets in the 300gr range in .416 than in .410/.411...plus a much better variety of barrel/twist-rate availability...

Michael,

If the .338 RUM brass worked ok, you might try the longer .300 RUM brass - if the necks don't split in fire forming then the resultant brass should be much closer to the .500 MDM brass length...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the .338 RUM brass worked ok, you might try the longer .300 RUM brass - if the necks don't split in fire forming then the resultant brass should be much closer to the .500 MDM brass length...

Necks Split on the 300s. I have yet to find a way to get from .308 to .500. I was surprised that 338 went so easy. Zero issues going from 338 to .500.

As for 410-416 Super Short a 300 #13 brass is 1.26 inches long, would have to have .730 seated inside the case, which is only 1.65 inches long, to work in the magazine. That's a lot of case capacity. It would take some special designed bullets to make them work. I don't think worth the effort.

We can take that 250 #13 with Talon Tip, BC of .268, 2700 fps in a 458 Super Short, 1" high at 50, and 0 at 200, and only 10 inches low at 300 which would be right above shear point. Crap, how much further do you want to shoot anything? That comes close to equaling the old 338 Winchester with 250 gr pills at 2650 fps. More than enough. I can't see anything that far away anyway!

M

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I was thinking a 410 SS would have a hypothetical steady diet of short 200 grain lead core pistol bullets, 410 shotgun slugs and hornady lead core 300 grain 405 bullets and not a lot of premium bullets unless big game hunting.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom stick

Did you manage to download the Pejsa Ballistics?

Me and computers do not mix.

Pyzda

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"As we 500 MDM guys know, 375 RUM brass is not currently available."

Mike, what's the story behind the shortage ?

Is it only short term ?

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Truccolo:
"As we 500 MDM guys know, 375 RUM brass is not currently available."

Mike, what's the story behind the shortage ?

Is it only short term ?

Yes, short term, until they make a run of that stuff. Its common, they make a big run, let it run completely out before scheduling a huge run of it again. A year ago you could not find 338 RUM, same story. Winchester does the same thing.

M

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
So Michael…are you going to have Sam cut you some .500/.338 fireforming bullets?
quote:
Originally posted by michael458: Extracted from the TBP thread...
I started fire forming brass only about 15 years ago. So not all that long. Most of what I was doing then was with corn meal. I would take 375HH brass, 15 or so grs of Bullseye, toilet tissue on top of that, pack the case full to the top with corn meal, then tap it off with a piece of toilet tissue to hold everything in place. Shoot it outside in the rifle, and damn near perfect 458 Lott brass would come out of the rifle, ready to load.

Then I had a bunch of 416 Remington brass, learned that is was even better than the 375 HH. So I did 416 Remington into 458 Lott brass from then on. Then I had those 470 Capsticks, same story, took 416 Remington, blew it out to 470 Capstick. Worked great, but it is labor intensive.

I still use the corn meal today to blow out 375 RUM to 500 MDM. I gave several classes on that over the last few weeks, to Paul, Daryl and Andrew, just in case they ever need to do any. It's cheap and very easy to do. Just labor is all.

Sam was involved I am pretty sure in one of my "Classes" to one of the guys, and he was urging me to just get Dan to make some fire form "Bullets" for me. I have heard of this sort of thing, but never used it. In other words, if you have a 375 RUM for instance, you want to take to .500 caliber, then you have to have a bullet with a .375 shank, and then for the bore that bullet must be .500 caliber. Load, shoot the bullet, instant brass. Even more simple than the corn meal, and not quite as messy too. In addition, you could actually use this bullet to hunt antelope or deer or something such, while making brass at the same time. Multi Use!

Sam probably knows I am a little slow on getting some things done, depending on the work load here, so a few days ago I get a little package in the mail? Hmmmm? He had already taken several .500 caliber 460 BBW#13 NonCons, turned the shanks down to .375 caliber, leaving 3 driving bands at the top in .500 caliber, Fire Form Bullets! Little bit ugly too! HEH..............

Man, I had to try them you know, my curious nature got the best of me, and Sam knows this is so, that's why he sent them! He knew I might not bother to do any with Dan, but he knew I could not resist it if I had them in hand!

It took a couple of bullets to figure out how much H-322 it was going to take to accomplish the mission, 88 grs did a good job without stressing the brass.

How do you like the looks of that cartridge? The loaded one? UGLY! LOL............

OK, well how about bullet performance?

Surprised me, because of the velocity, massive massive trauma inflicted from 2-8 inches, blades sheared normal, blades found from 5-8 inches, normal. Drove dead straight to 20 inches. The retained weight was 273 grs.

For those of you that would like to have fire form bullets, just figure out what you are after and it can be done. I think I will get Dan to make up a few hundred of these for me!

Michael
The .500/.375 bullets seemed to have worked very well…

Oh…yes you are correct regarding a .416 SS – must have been a brain fart on my part.

Boomy,
The 300gr Hornadys – FN or spire point - would work just fine as would the pistol bullets as the SS’s gross case volume is less than the 405 Winchester case. Large game or DG would definitely require custom cut CEB or NF bullets to do the job; just limit the bullet length to 1.100” maximum and it should put the .410/.411 SS into the same penetration category as the other SS cartridges.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We can take that 250 #13 with Talon Tip, BC of .268, 2700 fps in a 458 Super Short, 1" high at 50, and 0 at 200, and only 10 inches low at 300 which would be right above shear point. Crap, how much further do you want to shoot anything? That comes close to equaling the old 338 Winchester with 250 gr pills at 2650 fps. More than enough. I can't see anything that far away anyway!

M

Damn sure no flies on that--I seem to be the leading proponent of the 458 SS

Well, thats because its GREAT

dancing

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
So Michael…are you going to have Sam cut you some .500/.338 fireforming bullets?

HEH..... Nahhh, Not unless I run out of CornMeal! I found my CornMeal Loads blew the cases for the first time out just as good as the .500/.375s did. Cornmeal blown, and trimmed, are good enough to load and take hunting. Cheaper too.

quote:
Damn sure no flies on that--I seem to be the leading proponent of the 458 SS

Well, thats because its GREAT

Cross

I like the little 458 SS too. When I first starting doing the load data on it, it was so good, I packed up every 45/70 I had, that had no history, no ties to anything, and either got rid of them, or converted them to something else, 50 B&M Alaskans. I never had a use for 45/70 from that point forward. In fact, two singles shots, Ruger #1 and Win 1885 both 45/70 are and have been at SSK for conversion to 50 BM AK. The 458 Super Short is the same size as a Guide Gun, and far superior in every way, no need for a 45/70 any longer.

I am hot on that 250 #13 NonCon too! I hope someone out there gets to try it out soon on something. In fact, if anyone wants some to try, let me know, I have some left from the first order, and another order in for 250 more. Someone needs to shoot a pig or two, something? If I was still shooting 45/70 this would be my mainstay bullet for that work.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

I would love to try a few on pigs. Throw a few in and we can try them after DSC-hopefully get you some neat PM shots

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Michael,

I would love to try a few on pigs. Throw a few in and we can try them after DSC-hopefully get you some neat PM shots

I have some shirts and leather gear to send you, last shipment to you will be next Wednesday I suppose. I have already got a few of those 250s and Tips added to the stuff coming. I think you will be impressed.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took Michael458's son Mathew hunting today for whitetail. He was using a 458 Super Short that Michael had all set up for him. Had some kind of NON CON TIPPY THINGY of some weight in it. You'll have to get Michael to tell what it was. Well Mathew shot the nice buck quartering away and hit it in the guts right in front of the rear leg, bullet exited the front shoulder. Deer ran 40 yards how I don't know. You meat eaters better not shoot deer with the thing. Exit in the hide was .458 or close to that. Under the hide it was a pure mess with about a 4 inch hole. One petal exited the entry side about 8 inches forward of entry hole. No they can't do that. Mr. WEE WEE. Too much mess to go digging around in. About all else I can say is there was one happy McCourry today and the 458 SS is too much gun for whitetails.

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Sam,

"...the 458 SS is too much gun for whitetails."
You are clearly the bwana of understatement! Who'd a thunk it! dancing

See you in a short week.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Took Michael458's son Mathew hunting today for whitetail. He was using a 458 Super Short that Michael had all set up for him. Had some kind of NON CON TIPPY THINGY of some weight in it. You'll have to get Michael to tell what it was. Well Mathew shot the nice buck quartering away and hit it in the guts right in front of the rear leg, bullet exited the front shoulder. Deer ran 40 yards how I don't know. You meat eaters better not shoot deer with the thing. Exit in the hide was .458 or close to that. Under the hide it was a pure mess with about a 4 inch hole. One petal exited the entry side about 8 inches forward of entry hole. No they can't do that. Mr. WEE WEE. Too much mess to go digging around in. About all else I can say is there was one happy McCourry today and the 458 SS is too much gun for whitetails.

Sam

Matt was excited leaving out yesterday. He dropped by, I sent him with the 458 Super Short and 15 rounds of 250 gr BBW#13 NonCon with tips, being pushed by 55/LilGun, 210 Federal, for 2712 fps in that 16 inch tube!

TOO MUCH GUN? NEVER, you can never have TOO MUCH! You might come up short if you go to the small bores, but never ever TOO MUCH! LOL................ Maybe if you guys can get one in the FRONT HALF of the deer, it won't be such a mess? Why don't you try that!

I really LIKE this 250 #13 in 458, and believe it is THE bullet for everything short of buffalo. If I was running 45/70 or there abouts, this is the only bullet I would look at for it. I was running this at 2300 in one of my Marlins, and that is smoking. Of course, no tip, so velocity drops a lot with it.

In an 18 inch 458 B&M I was at 2850 with it, tip included. Excellent bullet for 458 Win and 458 Lott for light duty work anyway. Lot's of penetration there, at velocity I was getting 16-18 inches of penetration with it at 50 yds. This deer, what 24 inches, exited? Something like that or close.

I had contact with Sam earlier this morning, they are out trying to do another one this morning.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TOO MUCH GUN NEVER! I was kidding about too much gun. I agree with Michael kill them deader if you can. Better to blow off the front end than lose the whole thing.

We didn't see any more deer to shoot this morning.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can say that the new AI stock for the SS's is VERY nice. Damn it--now I want one-- shocker

Michael that grey laminate sure looks sharp with the black and stainless two-tone that I did my 458 SS in. You will love it on yours.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
I can say that the new AI stock for the SS's is VERY nice. Damn it--now I want one-- shocker

Michael that grey laminate sure looks sharp with the black and stainless two-tone that I did my 458 SS in. You will love it on yours.

Cross

Yes, I had forgot about the black and Stainless gun, I bet that stock does look sharp on that. I told you I am having a 50 Super Short built exactly like your 458 right? Black/Stainless. That stock needs to be checkered, but was not enough time to do it before the show. I am bringing a black gunkote 50 B&M with the checkered gray laminate too.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Well boys, next time you hear from me will be from the "Greatest Show on The Planet" DSC!!!!!!!

We have to leave here early morning and will arrive in Dallas before noon tomorrow.

I hope sincerely to see many of you there, do come by the booth, we will be sitting around, drinking beer, and Apple/Blueberry Pie, and Telling Lies! Lot's of fun, Dan with CEB is right next to us, and Paul from Australia right behind us, so its gonna be a hoot. I will have Andrew from South Africa with us as well. So do drop in and visit with us and I look very much forward to seeing all of you there.

Come on by Now, Booth C570 I believe!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope sincerely to see many of you there, do come by the booth, we will be sitting around, drinking beer, and Apple/Blueberry Pie, and Telling Lies! Lot's of fun, Dan with CEB is right next to us, and Paul from Australia right behind us, so its gonna be a hoot. I will have Andrew from South Africa with us as well. So do drop in and visit with us and I look very much forward to seeing all

Michael, packing up tonite for our early thurs flight, momma working til late wed night. I just wanted to let you know i managed to pack up a bottle of very special wine. We will drop it off to Paul's booth thursday afternoon. sofa

Se ya mid afternoon thurs, going to try to drop off bags at hotel before coming to show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had lots of fun with the B&M crowd and the AR guys that stopped buy. AR dinner very nice and it is great to put a face with a handle(name). Met a lot of great people.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed visiting with Michael and Sam. Unfortunately I missed the Apple Pie and had to settle for the Blueberry. It sort of reminded me of that old George Jones song, White Lightning: "I took one sip and right away I knew, Cause my eyes bugged out and my face turned blue, Lightnin' started flashing thunder started crashing, ooh white lightnin'."

When I get ready to renounce my position that any rifle with barrels under 32" is too short, Michael will be the first person I call!

Mike

Posts: 21198 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For certain the booth set up was nice, with Dan right beside. I don't think Michael ever stopped talking bullets or rifles the entire time, except during pouring sessions. I can see wee need more supplies for that next year! Everytime I walked by somebody was fondling short big bores. The shirts, slings, and slides were a nice offering. Well done, glad i was able to make it down and meet a bunch of other B&M folks.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I just this minute arrived back home!

WOW WOW WOW----What a GREAT TIME we had! I can't believe it is over so quickly! My entire crowd had a wonderful time, all the kids, and Momma too!

rotflmo
quote:
When I get ready to renounce my position that any rifle with barrels under 32" is too short, Michael will be the first person I call!

Hell Mike, don't wait that long, I might be dead by then! animal

You must make a plan to call before that, and don't worry about the 32 inches, you don't even have to renounce!

MikeJ, it was a great pleasure to spend time with you, you don't have to be a B&M Shorty to come visit, I expect to see more of you next year! I will save some apple for you! I know that Brent and I will be making a good plan for next year on that front! LOL............

It is a good thing I can still type, because I have completely lost my voice from talking so much the last few days! I am not kidding--No Voice!

By Saturday afternoon all the Apple and all the Blueberry was GONE?????? Sunday, had a good time, but it was a little "dry"............

Sam, Brent, Mike Lionhunter, Carl, Mike Lindsey, Hooker, Cross, Retriever, Ledvm, North Fork, Todd, Mike 777777 whatever, and right now I am about to pass out so my mind is not working proper, I have not even begun to mention all the guys that we visited with........ I enjoyed every minute of every visit.

Back to real work in the morning, if some of you have some emails and PMs in to me, give me a chance, I will catch up quickly as I can. I will get with you guys asap. Right now, going to roost, long day tomorrow!

Enjoyed
Michael

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Absolutely a grand time! The B&M booth was always busy with AR folks and I met more of you there than at the AR dinner! Had some great conversations and putting the names to faces was a treat.

To my good friend Michael, thanks for everything Buddy. You are a great host and if we didn't live so damn far apart I imagine we would waste away a good deal of time together. Might have to get you to come to SCI Reno just so we can spend more time partying. Carl and I just ignore the SCI players and enjoy ourselves by spending time with good friends in the hunting and shooting world, eating good food and playing hard.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Mike Lionhunter

Oh man, did we have a blast or what? I can't believe how busy I was, I never got a chance at all to see anything at the show, the only things I saw and the only aisles I got to see, where between the B&M booth and the Toilet, Smoke Area, and of course--the bar! That's it, Sunday morning before opening, I managed to run over and see Tony at the Heym Booth for a short visit, and my buddy Richard Cooke at his booth. Each day on the way back and to, we would also go over and visit with Karl and Walter! But, hell I did not go to see other things at the show anyway, went to visit with my AR and B&M buddies. And we did that for sure!

Best one yet, Thursday morning first thing, I put Mercedes in charge of "B&M Shooting Apparel", VP in Charge. Now, remember, SHE set up the Square on her IPad and her IPhone to be able to take credit card charges. Mid way through Thursday she came to me and let me know up front this, and I quote "Dad, you can have the Credit Card Money, you can have the Checks, But The Cash Is MINE!" End of story, and it was so! rotflmo

So she took credit card charges, herself, she is 9 years old, and checks and of course the CASH! LOL..................

She had a great time, boys had a great time and Momma had a great time! Can't ask for better than that.

Yes Mike, if you were closer, I imagine there would not be a week that would go by we were not on the range doing something or just sitting around the "Lab" doing some heavy BS---HEH........ Enjoyed so much having you around!

Lots of great things. I was so worn out by Saturday evening I could not make it to the AR get together at the Comfort, just wasted!

Next few weeks I have my hands full, after REAL WORK, got to get a 500 MDM ready for a fellow, he wants the rifle set up with a Trijicon RMR Flex, some sort of scope, 250 rounds of BBW#13 Solids, and I think I am going with the new 450s, and 70 rounds of 450 North Fork CPS. He will be shooting 10 elephant and 10 buffalo in March with it! So I have lot's to do, as I must get all this done and ready by Mid February! Along with getting some other things going that I promised to help out with from the show!

Thanks to all who came by and visited with me, I really enjoy that sort of thing!

Michael

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
To all who did not get to the show, Mike, his wife, his daughter, and his two sons were absolutely wonderful to all who came by (even to this crotchety old gent). Oh, and I thought the apple pie was better than the blueberry.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just walked through the door back home after another fantastic D.S.C show.

Thanks to all who stopped by to meet and greet and to say hello and thanks a bunch to our awesome "neighbours" the B&M rifle crew, L.D.K outfitters and C.E.B projectiles.
It is our honour to be your neighbours and freinds.

Disregarding the commercial prespective, the caliber of people present at the Dallas show and the experience resulting from that make it an absolute must do on our annual callender.
My only regret is that it is only four days and done with FAR too quickly.

Paul.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Paul

Good to hear you guys made it home safe! Unfortunately many of us here came down with the flu/cold sorta thing on our return, and we have spent most of the week fighting that, and still fighting it!

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sound like every one had a great time at "Greatest Show on The Planet".I sure would have liked to be there.

I'am having one hell of a time typing with one hand. On Dec.22 I was filling the deer feeders at hunting camp before going down state to the lake house for the holidays, slipped and fell carrying a 100lb. bag of corn on my shoulder. Seven separated ribs the right side of my rib cage and arm pounding with pain right arm and hand numb from pinched nerve, hip knocked out of alignment. The good thing is no broken bones.I was going to the chiropractor every other day to get me aligned. My elbow still hurts like hell. Last night was the first time sense the 22 I have slept more than 6 hours.

The wife said I need to hire a handy man to do the heavy work before I really hurt my self. I told her it's a great idea and "I will able to spend more time with you". Her reply "at least hire one until you feel better".

Chiropractor told the wife to lock the gun room and hide the key for at least a month no shooting at all.

Michael hope everybody get's better soon.

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Coyote

We did have a great time, and maybe next year you must make a plan to come visit as well!

I thought the Flu was bad, but it sounds like to me you are in much worse shape than a few days of
flu!!!!!!! Holy Cow man, I agree with the wife, get some help! Sounds like pretty rough business you got there, sorry for all that, can't be much fun!

We are on the mend here, I am not going to overdo things, but I am going to the range today and start blowing out some 500 brass, and do some shooting.

Between being so busy once I returned from DSC, and then getting flu, I failed to mention one of our big accomplishments at DSC with Larry of Superior Ammunition. Our pal Lionhunter did this for me on another thread, so I am just going to copy it here as well.

quote:
LionHunter
one of us

Posted 15 January 2013 06:55 Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
how much for one of those 500 mdm rifles? It looks like an interesting round. How much for a box of 20?

At DSC Carl and I were able to facilitate a meeting between Superior Ammunition, CEB and B&M. All the players were the principals; Larry, Dan and Michael. The purpose was to develop a source for commercial ammunition loaded with the CEB bullets for all the B&M caliber rifles. I believe there was agreement and consensus and the result will be that Superior Ammunition will begin custom loading of the CEB BBW#13 solids and NonCons, to the specs developed by Michael, in all the B&M calibers sometime in the not too distant future; not tomorrow but sometime later this year.

This is a major leap forward for both CEB and the B&M rifles. I am proud to have been a part of bringing these good folks together and making commercial CEB/B&M ammunition a reality.

Superior Ammunition:
www.superiorammo.com

Cutting Edge Bullets:
www.cuttingedgebullets.com

B&M Rifles and Cartridges:
www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com

And since someone always wants to know, I have no fiduciary interest whatsoever in these proceedings. I am, however, friends with all of them.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 2417 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 18 November 2008

Mike and Carl, thanks for getting me with Larry and helping get this put together. This is a major step forward for the B&M cartridges. This will allow those that do not hand load to get into a B&M rifle. FYI--I talked with Brian yesterday and he is going to do chamber gauges for Larry in all the B&M cartridges. This way, Larry can check every single round, easy, by just seeing that it goes in the chamber gauge without issue. If it does, then it will chamber in any B&M rifle as well. This is easier for Larry on his end. I will also work with Larry very close in the beginning on each of the cartridges, and Carl is hands on with Larry right there so he will also be able to assist in the beginning. Quality is one of the reasons that we are going with Superior on this.

I will not be keeping loaded ammo here from Superior--Oh, I will want one box of each for show, but other than that folks that do not hand load for the B&Ms will contact Larry at Superior direct for their ammo needs. We are very very pleased with this step.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I truely expect this joint project with Superior Ammunition, who I have trusted to load my hunting ammunition for more than 10 years, to be a quantum leap forward for the B&M rifles and cartridges and the CEB bullets, products which I use and that I believe are current state of the art for big game hunting.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Does this mean that Captech International/Jamison International will likely be generating Superior Ammunition/B&M headstamp brass in the near future?

If so, and the price point is reasonable, I figure that even handloaders will be giving Superior Ammunition quite a bit of business shortly thereafter...

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
I truely expect this joint project with Superior Ammunition, who I have trusted to load my hunting ammunition for more than 10 years, to be a quantum leap forward for the B&M rifles and cartridges and the CEB bullets, products which I use and that I believe are current state of the art for big game hunting.

Mike

I concur, a very important step to get the rifles/cartridges in the hands of more hunters, instead of just us Shooters, loaders and hunters! Many hunters do not hand load, in fact, most strictly hunters I have met in the field do not handload.

quote:
Does this mean that Captech International/Jamison International will likely be generating Superior Ammunition/B&M headstamp brass in the near future?

Very likely Jim. However in the beginning I will be controlling much of the brass issues to keep Larry from having so much invested, as he needs brass, it will be allocated from here, which includes just basic RUM brass as well. Especially in the beginning until the Loaded Ammo portion grows to the point that Larry takes it over completely. Which is my goal.

I will be working close with Larry in the beginning phase of each cartridge. Right now, I am thinking 500 MDM, 50 B&M Alaskan, 475 B&M, and 458 B&M to begin with. I will be in an advisory role to begin with, and eventually once Larry is up to speed phase myself out of that role.

Not quite as simple as one would think really.

As for brass--Well, as soon as I can get a breath here, I will be talking to Captech direct and hopefully get all that sorted out. In my conversations with them last fall they told me they did not see anything as being a problem, just give them a chance to get on their feet and running, which is what I am doing. I will be checking with them in a few weeks on this.

Another thing that is interesting is that I have been contacted about allowing the rifles to be imported to South Africa, on a commercial basis. Seems some of the folks over there have caught on to them and want to get more of them to work there. I am looking at these folks and talking with them now. We will see how that goes, may not be nothing, who knows?

Still working on the 500 MDM for this fellow going on the elephant hunt. I have to have all my work done and rifle out of here by Feb 1 or 2. For the life of me, can't figure why I am sitting here now? Oh, yes, that is right, I am taking a break from trimming 500 MDM brass! Whew.............

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having ammo available is a monumental.

My congratulations

Michael..Will B&M be at the 2014 Shot Show?

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Congratulations on moving your babies to the next step in their evolution. I can easily imagine there are quite a few hunters and PHs that look fondly at dropping a 3rd of their rifle toting weight while in many cases gaining additional close range thump with the little rifle... Very awesome my friend...

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Coyote

No, won't be at any other shows---I only do DSC. Really don't have time for the others, nor the inclination. I still have to work for a living! HEH.... At least sometimes!

Thanks Jim, as Always. I never quit here working on improving things for the rifles and cartridges.

Speaking of "Improvements", today was one of those good days, especially for the 50 B&M. I have been working with a 450 gr BBW#13 Solid, but in the first order I never got a matching NonCon to go with it, figured I would just work with the current 450 #13 NonCon. Well, as mentioned somewhere before, the 450 Solid and 450 NonCon are NOT THE SAME BULLET--thus a little more difficult to get to same POI. Can be done, but not as easy depending on the likes and dislikes of an individual rifle I reckon.

I like that 450 Solid in the 50 B&M, nose projection is standard, .700, so longer than other .500s. Lighter, and can run it faster in the little 18 inch hammers. Running 2275 average in several different rifles. Well under max pressures. I ordered 1000 of them, received them this week, and its a good thing as this is the solid I am loading in the 500 MDM, will tell you that shortly.

In this last order of 1000, I also ordered a matching #13 NonCon HP, it came in at 410 grs--Perfect. I could not wait too much longer, even though I am dead in the middle of this 500 MDM work, I had to see what I could do. I can run the 410 up to 2380 fps, dead same POI at 50 with the 450 Solid--as it is supposed to be. I believe that this combination of the 450 BBW#13 Solid matched with this 410 BBW#13 NonCon is the "Perfect" solution for Elephant, buffalo, and hippo in the 50 B&M. It has increased velocity, I believe increased hammering effect with the faster NonCon on buffalo, and still remains in the tiny little package--The Perfect Big Bore hunting tool for the heavies, in all ways taken into account ALL FACTORS, Platform, cartridge, bullet! I am preparing for Terminal Test work within two days on this, probably tomorrow at some point!

500 MDM--As all know I am working on a major project for the newest B&M guy, with a 500 MDM. This chap has 10 elephant and 10 buffalo on quota for March in Zimbabwe. I have 350 rounds of ammo to get to him, in less than two weeks left. It is coming together. My man weighs a total of 125 lbs soaking wet. He requested the 500 #13 Solid at 2200-2250 fps. This is 200 fps less than top end for the 500 MDM. He figures he can handle the rifle better, and I concur. I have taken that one step further for him, and I am going to load the new 450 BBW#13 Solid at 2200-2250 fps. Results will be the same, and a tiny bit less recoil, maybe.

SOme also know of the issues I have had with brass for this project, and RIP and Jeffe came through with FLYING COLORS for me on some 375RUM for the project, thanks again both of you! There is not a piece of 375RUM in the United States right now for sale, the supply has completely dried up, and my supply here has ran completely out. Had it not been for RIP and Jeffe, I would have been up the shit creek for real.

Got to thinking about this, 2200-2250 fps, very low pressure for 500 MDM. I also did some work with RL 15 during load data and pressure tests, and RL 15 is not the top end powder for 500 MDM, you can't get enough of it in the case to get pressures up high enough to run at max. But, at 2250 fps, it was a PERFECT SOLUTION for filling the case, somewhat compressed (which is what I like) and get his 2200-2250 fps with the 450 #13 Solid. I had about 2 lbs of RL 15 here, tests showed that 100 grs give me 2253 fps dead perfect in 375RUM brass, pressure would be running far less than 45000 PSI, probably close to 40000 PSI based on tests a year ago with this same keg of powder. Slightly compressed, I could not ask for better.

Cogs were turning, lights blinking, and I started thinking about this low pressure Horneber brass I had sitting here, 1000 pieces of it that can't hold more than 45000 PSI without locking the bolt on the 500 MDM. Being Stamped 500 MDM, I have been crying the blues over it since it arrived well over a year or longer ago! Wondered how that brass would work with 100 grs of RL 15? Low Pressure? Hmmmmm...... So I went to work, and low and behold the brass works PERFECTLY with this load, runs the same velocity, not sticky, zero issues, no problems at all! YIPPIE--I will use some of this brass for this mission!

Yesterday there was one test left, and that was HEAT!!!! Would pressures go up if the ammo was HOT, and things got ugly for my guy during one of these 10 elephants?????? I loaded up 5 rounds, sit them in the hot sun yesterday, and they got to 110 degrees according to the thermometer I put in the bag with them. Shot them, and there was NO ISSUES, Zero Problems, worked like a charm. Velocity went up about 40 fps, so pressures did go up some, but not enough that it caused any problems! Excellent!

Now, next problem, 2 lbs or so of RL 15 was not even close to what I needed, so I had ordered some, finally found 5 lbs at Cabelas of all places, there was not a Pound at Midway, Mid South, Poweder Country, Graff, or another 3-4 I looked at, in fact, there is not much powder available right now anywhere of any kind! Nor Primers, nor brass, nor anything else!!!! Lucky, this 5 1 lb containers came in yesterday afternoon! Just enough to load 350 rounds! But, what if this RL 15 is not the same as my RL 15 I already had?? Have to test! I did, and sure enough, I had to go to 102.5 grs of the new RL 15 to equal the old RL 15 at 100 grs! You always have to check these lots of powder, ALWAYS!!!!!!

So, I had to repeat all the tests with the new RL 15, including the 110 degree test, and all is working great with the Horneber brass. Low Pressures. A benefit of little concern these days with our modern powders, but non the less something to be said about low pressure loads, I guess, maybe! Well, sounds good anyway, hi pressure loads at 60000-65000 in Winchesters do not concern me in the least. Have used them for years now, 115 degrees, no problems. But, I am going to be glad to find some use for this head stamped 500 MDM Horneber brass. While I am not loading the entire lot with this brass, it will be enough to make up any differences I had in 375RUM.

The work continues, I still have some brass to size, trim and even blow out. Rifle is due back today from getting some additional engraving done--500MDM/375RUM--To cover those bases. Installing a Trijicon RMR Flex Red Dot, sighting in, testing POI at 50 and and and...............................

Later

Michael