Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Now I need someone to explain how climate change is political (and should be consigned to the Political forum) but Clint Eastwood's thoughts on Presidential candidates are not.

I will give you 5 reasons.

1) Clint Eastwood endorsing Bloomberg is a fact. It does not involve paragraphs of discussion, links etc. and etc.

2) With the man made climate change you are on your own supporting that view on Big Bores so a waste of time.

3) If you take it the Political Forum there are plenty of blokes there who will be basically in agreement with you and of course a heap of blokes who don't support the bullshit. In the Political forum the debate is an open slather no holds barred deal. I reckon Saeed would not allow such debate on the Big Bores forum.

You might also learn something and from those who support the climate change bullshit to strengthen your own argument.

4) The people keen on things political and discussing the stuff do it on the Political forum because since it is the Political forum any AR member on the PF is by definition interested in political stuff and discussing politics. Members on the Big Bores forum will have an interest in politics (and discussing the matter) that ranges from zero through to people like myself.

5) If you believe in man made climate change take it to the arena where you will have to defend your views from what can be an aggressive attack to say the least. However, if you are not prepared to take your views to the Political forum then your support or views on man made climate change are not very strong.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Wow! 600 lbs! Hogs are gods gift to hunters. Yes, you can use a 223 but life is more fun with a 423 BOOM I love the squeal of pigs and neo liberals, but I repeat myself Big Grin Who said guns and hunting are not political? horse

quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Hi Boomstick and may I say "quick reply" and thank you.

I too use hogs for fun big bore targets both for sport and some for meat. The largest that I have killed was 600 pounds and my .308 with 165 grain Super performance made quick work of it. You already know that anything from a .223 on up will kill wiid boar, so if you want to do it with a 400 Wheelen go for it. If you run them with chase dogs, a big bore pistol will do the job.
The last hog that I took was shot with my .45-70 DR at less than 4 feet! Here it is:

Have fun and post pix.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I need someone to explain how climate change is political (and should be consigned to the Political forum) but Clint Eastwood's thoughts on Presidential candidates are not.

Several of us, including RIP, have used Clint's Dirty Harry role throughout the thread, mainly because he did use an open sighted M70 African in 458 (the preferred configuration of a big bore) to conduct counter sniping of Serpico. This was just a little commentary jab by RIP indicating disappointment with our hero, possibly due to too much recoil exposure now presenting at age 89. Similar to RIP's commentary on Ross's poopooing of the 458WM.

Look here man. As I stated earlier, I'm the guy that first mentioned CC. I didn't mention it with the intention of changing the direction of the thread away from the 458WM. I simply stated that I really enjoy seeing a "commonly" accepted narrative, like the 458 Lott being superior to the 458WM, or MMCC vs the reality of nature, taken apart by logic and reason.

It wasn't my intent to troll, but when a fish bites, I tend to start reeling; hence my continued commentary when you took the bait. This boat trip is about enjoying being out on the water, not catching fish, so when I realized my reeling was getting in the way of others enjoying the outing, I cut you loose and rejoined the party.

Everyone gets a knot jerked in their tails once in awhile here on AR. It happened to me when Jines conned me into shooting his Blaser at the range one day a fews years back. It happened to you here. Just roll with it and press on. No big deal. For me, I'm going to just enjoy watching RIP continue taking the narrative apart while sitting on my porch enjoying a warm February day!!!

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:
quote:

I will give you 5 reasons.

1) Clint Eastwood endorsing Bloomberg is a fact. It does not involve paragraphs of discussion, links etc. and etc.

That Clint's views may be fact does not save them from being political, Mike, and RIP's comments added the discussion aspect you seem to think is necessary to make them so.

2) With the man made climate change you are on your own supporting that view on Big Bores so a waste of time.

I may indeed be on my own discussing climate on the big-bores forum but from my reading of the political forum it's pretty much a one-way street there, too.

3) If you take it the Political Forum there are plenty of blokes there who will be basically in agreement with you and of course a heap of blokes who don't support the bullshit. In the Political forum the debate is an open slather no holds barred deal. I reckon Saeed would not allow such debate on the Big Bores forum.

You might also learn something and from those who support the climate change bullshit to strengthen your own argument.

4) The people keen on things political and discussing the stuff do it on the Political forum because since it is the Political forum any AR member on the PF is by definition interested in political stuff and discussing politics. Members on the Big Bores forum will have an interest in politics (and discussing the matter) that ranges from zero through to people like myself.

Where above zero are you in matters politic?

5) If you believe in man made climate change take it to the arena where you will have to defend your views from what can be an aggressive attack to say the least. However, if you are not prepared to take your views to the Political forum then your support or views on man made climate change are not very strong.

I don't feel the need to join another forum of nutters, thanks, but am not afraid to parry rubbish when it's thrown in my face. You speak as though the science on this stuff is just some conspiracy theory thrown up on the Internet last week but it has had long acceptance from most of the world's governments. The UN has recognised it as a most-likely danger to the planet since 1992 and 191 countries still endorse the 1997 Kyoto Protocol, so your labelling it 'bullshit' is really dribbling a bib full.

TODD, yes, I recall the earlier references to Dirty Harry but don't see them as license to trot out stuff about Eastwood's presidential druthers and pretend they've got nothing to do with politics.

Regarding your trolling, I was actually surprised you lay doggo for so long and left things to those I'm sure you regard as your intellectual inferiors. I have my suspicions why you did but won't stir the possum by bringing them up now.

Cheers

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

I had the 400 and 500 grain Barnes when the first came out and of course no grooves in those days. The 400 grain did a touch over 2850 f/s and that Mark V had the Pendelton Dekicker so actual barrel length was about 23". The 400 grainers shot real well and the 500 grainers were hopeless. 4 " groups and just big wide open groups. Maybe the 1 in 16 twist of the Mark V was the culprit.

Back in those days I had the sort of gear to do what you have been doing with bullets but unfortunately lateral thinking is not one of my strong points Big Grin

You might have done this but I missed it on the thread but how would a deep hollow point go and with splits in the jacket as either a cross or a 3 way split. Could be a real smasher at 458 velocities. Maybe a 3 way split where each one weighed about 65 grains and they broke free on impct so you have three 65 grain projectile flying off followed by a big wadcutter.

If you had the 458 and of course with 3.6" length, the 500 grain Barnes and the gear to alter the bullet you could use just the 458 and 500 grain Barnes for all shooting.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JFE:
"The CZ550 is really too long for the 458WM."

Never ever had such an experience with my CZ550 in .458 Win Mag. I just seated all bullets (from the 350 TSX to the 600 Barnes Original) as long as practical.

The 350 TSX became my hunting bullet for bear and moose. I crimped them into the bottom cannelure (groove), loaded it with Reloader 7 for moose at 2700 fps (later changed to H4198), took it hunting for a week in Northern Ontario but didn't catch up with the moose I wanted. Later, using H4198 at 2750 fps/5876 ft-lbs, I shot a black bear. They shot into MOA or better when I was up for it. After shooting the bear at 98 yards, I ejected the empty and quickly loaded a second without a hitch -- and frankly never gave it a second thought! One and done.

I could easily get 2200 fps from the 500 Hornady RN Interloc at SAAMI 3.34" with at least four powders, and 2283 fps from H4895 seated at 3.565". Today, my Ruger No.1 is a little faster at +2300 fps from the 500 Hornady or Speer; and nearly 2600 fps from the 400gr Barnes X-Bullet seated "long". Powders for those are H4895 and H4198. And, of course, H335 is a favorite plus 2230 and 2460.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sambarman338, Paul,

You are going to be put on ignore if you persist.
THE MISSION does not need material of that sort.
I encourage all .458 WIN MISSIONARIES to ignore any further climate change whining by sambarman338.
I encourage Paul to expend his surplus energies in finding Greta Thunderburger and her mates so as to correspond with them to his heart's content.
I suggest he use FACEBOOK for his further emissions of that sort.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JFE:
"The CZ550 is really too long for the 458WM."

Never ever had such an experience with my CZ550 in .458 Win Mag. I just seated all bullets (from the 350 TSX to the 600 Barnes Original) as long as practical.

The 350 TSX became my hunting bullet for bear and moose. I crimped them into the bottom cannelure (groove), loaded it with Reloader 7 for moose at 2700 fps (later changed to H4198), took it hunting for a week in Northern Ontario but didn't catch up with the moose I wanted. Later, using H4198 at 2750 fps/5876 ft-lbs, I shot a black bear. They shot into MOA or better when I was up for it. After shooting the bear at 98 yards, I ejected the empty and quickly loaded a second without a hitch -- and frankly never gave it a second thought! One and done.

I could easily get 2200 fps from the 500 Hornady RN Interloc at SAAMI 3.34" with at least four powders, and 2283 fps from H4895 seated at 3.565". Today, my Ruger No.1 is a little faster at +2300 fps from the 500 Hornady or Speer; and nearly 2600 fps from the 400gr Barnes X-Bullet seated "long". Powders for those are H4895 and H4198. And, of course, H335 is a favorite plus 2230 and 2460.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Bob,

I hear you and I guess it all depends on each individual's views on bullet seating, crimping etc.

With a cartridge like the 458WM that does have quite a bit of recoil, I like to use a decent seating depth, good neck tension and a decent crimp. It may be a case of belt and braces but I like to try to make sure things aren't going to fail.

Having a short seating depth and relying on a heavy crimp is not something I would really like to do, but that's personal preference.

Having said that I think a 3.6" mag length would be fine but as the CZ's is 3.8" long I think it is excessive, well for me and the way i like to seat my bullets, it is.

Also worth mentioning is that a small player in Oz is making copper bullets and has two offerings in 458, a 410gr and a 450gr pill. At present he is supplying the local market and has no immediate plans for export. His prices are competitive with imported Barnes pills here, but that would make them quite expensive to export to other markets.

I am sure if there was sufficient interest in resurrecting the 400gr Barnes TSX, perhaps a group buy to get Barnes to make a special run might be worth investigating.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Thanks for getting back to the .458 WIN and 460 WBY:
quote:
... The 400 grain did a touch over 2850 f/s and that Mark V had the Pendelton Dekicker so actual barrel length was about 23". The 400 grainers shot real well and the 500 grainers were hopeless. 4 " groups and just big wide open groups. Maybe the 1 in 16 twist of the Mark V was the culprit.

That is surprising, 1:16 should be plenty of twist for a 500-grain Barnes of any type regarding accuracy.
Might have been some issue internal to that batch of 500-grainers, the olde Barnes Original?

Regarding other suggestions for Bubba Bullet Metamorphosis,
KISS principle applies, as I am interested only in converting the too-long 500-gr TSX most simply:

1) Shorten the 500-grain TSX to 480-gr/1.470" by cutting off the forepart of the bullet and concentrically lightening inside the hollow point,
with a hollow point chamfer-enlarged to 0.200" diameter, and meplat chamfered down to 0.310", no depth increase of hollow point,
which is factory skived to split into 4 petals.
I want this to be a tough bullet that might work like a cup point if it does not open reliably into 4 petals.
A simple water-bucket bullet catch will be the start of testing.
The same length (BOL) Woodleigh HYDRO is a good performer for comparison.

2) Shorten the 500-grain TSX to 400-gr/1.400" by cutting off the hindpart of the bullet and minimally chamfering of flat base and existing hollow point.
This will allow a longer COL than the GSC 400-gr HV (-3.4" COL, +2500 fps MV), so is quite promising if accuracy is good for the BBM T6 400-grainer.

Nothing trickier is needed, and we get 400-gr and 480-gr TSiX bullets to fill the gaps in the TSX line: 250, 300, 350, 400, 450, 480, 500.
.458"/ 480-grainer at 2150 to 2200 fps MV created the standard that has never been improved upon.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I forgot to mention that I did call Hornady and talked to Preston.
I begged for a monometal .458"/ 400-grain bullet like the MonoFlex or GMX.
The MonoFlex could be used in tubular magazines.
The GMX would be more aerodynamic.
I am not too proud to beg.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
Having a short seating depth and relying on a heavy crimp is not something I would really like to do, but that's personal preference.

Mine are all crimped the same no matter the seating depth.
And I mean crimped on a good cannelure, and every round goes through a Lee Factory Crimp die with minimal effort, hardly a "heavy crimp" to be feared.
I think that seating a bullet deeper without a crimp contributes little to "bullet pull" resistance/force in the .458 WIN.

Also worth mentioning is that a small player in Oz is making copper bullets and has two offerings in 458, a 410gr and a 450gr pill. At present he is supplying the local market and has no immediate plans for export. His prices are competitive with imported Barnes pills here, but that would make them quite expensive to export to other markets.

I am sure if there was sufficient interest in resurrecting the 400gr Barnes TSX, perhaps a group buy to get Barnes to make a special run might be worth investigating.

It would be very interesting to see those bullets. Is there an image anywhere or any advertising ?

It would also be very interesting to see if Barnes would consider doing a run of TSX .458"/400-grainers, never offered before. I remember just the old slick-sided X-Bullet, and XFB-Single-Cannelured 400-grainers.
I wonder if they have the tooling to hammer a 400-gr TSX out of copper wire ?
Lathe-turned like the GSC (if still in business) or CEB (more likely) would be a better go-to for a monometal copper bullet with bands and cannelures,
to maximize performance.
They might want to copy the BBM T6 .458"/ 400-gr HP, but make it heir own by adding a little bit of boat tail,
just keep the BOL down to about 1.500" or less. hilbily

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

With those early 500 grain Barnes X bullets (for new people they did not have the grooves or driving bands) I tried the three powders that shot ragged hole stuff with 500 grain Hornady and 500 grain Swift A Frame. They were 4064, 4350 and Win 760.

The reason I thought of 1 in 16 twist as maybe a problem was the groups were big and open. No 2 touching and a flyer etc.

From memory the M70 458s were 1 in 14. I seem to remember a Euro rifle, was it Steyr??, that had 1 in 18 twist in the 458.

With the 400 grain and 350 grain in 458 bore I think the 350 grain seems to have settled right into place. Maybe kick started because of 350 grain Speer and Hornady. On a Weatherby forum that is run from Denmark (heaps of Americans there) the 350 X is real common in the 460.

I can see where the 350 grain would be the thing in the 458 Winchester as it will sail over 2500 f/s. A nice number Smiler

I think if more shooters had a chance to use the 458 with a variety of loads/bullets it would be far more popular.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
So it was the old slick-sided 500-gr X-Bullet that was not good for accuracy. Might be 1:16 is no good but 1:14" OK, as you say.
Twist rate reference at CEB, not all-inclusive:

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/factory-twist-rates

450 Marlin – 1 x 20" . . . . . . . . . .Marlin 1895M

45 ACP - 1 in 16" . . . . . . . . . . . .Marlin 45

45 Long Colt - 1 in 16" . . . . . . . .Thompson/Center Carbine

45 Long Colt - 1 in 38" . . . . . . . . Winchester 94

45 Winchester Mag. - 1 in 16" . .Thompson/Center Carbine

45-70 - 1 in 14" . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Thompson/Center Carbine

45-70 - 1 in 20" . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Ruger 1, 3; Marlin 1895S; Browning B-7, 1885; Thompson/Center Rifle

45-70 - 1 in 22" . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Navy Arms

450 Dakota - 1 in 14" . . . . . . . . .Dakota Arms

458 Winchester Magnum - 1 in 14" . .Remington 700; Winchester 70; Ruger 1; Savage

458 Winchester Magnum - 1 in 15" . .Mannlicher-Schoenauer

458 Winchester Mag. - 1 in 16 1/2" . .Browning; Savage 116SE

458 Winchester Magnum - 1 in 18" . .Sako

460 Weatherby Magnum - 1 in 16" . .Weatherby Mark V

Bob might take issue with you limiting the 350-grain TSX to 2500 fps in the .458 WIN-UNCHAINED.
Me too.
However, 2500 fps is a good limit for a simple cup & core 350-grainer like the Hornady in SAAMI ammo.
That is 4858 ft-lbs at the muzzle, and quite gentlemanly.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:

Bob might take issue with you limiting the 350-grain TSX to 2500 fps in the .458 WIN-UNCHAINED.
Me too.

Ron,

I said "as it will sail over 2500 f/s Smiler

The early 400 Barnes X shot spot on in the 460.

A bloke in Australia used the early 350 X in the 416 Wby and it blew the shit out of red roos and pigs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
OH. My mistake. Right, you meant easily +2500 fps with the 350-grainer.
My apologies.

I feel a book review coming on, regarding excerpts on how the .450 "Straight Rigby" or "Rigby Special" took the world by storm from 1897 to 1899.
It was so remarkable that H&H had to come out with a .500/450 3-1/4" Cordite loading in 1900, same 480-gr bullet weight, same velocity,
before the "Nitro Express" lingo was dreamed up,
then the .465 "India" in 1906 by H&H (480-grainer again)
after the .45-caliber ban of 1905 for India and Sudan.
Even Rigby had to start making the .470 Nitro Express in 1907 after Joseph Lang released that to the gun trade: 500-grainer at 2150 fps for the .470 NE, 5130 ft-lbs at the muzzle.

Rigby's first ever "Nitro Express" was that .450 Straight of 1897 first proof survival of a double rifle, with .458"/ 480-grainer at 2200 fps.
That is 5155.2 ft-lbs at the muzzle.
That is the true original that changed the world.
The .458 WIN, even with a SAAMI loading does that without breaking a sweat.
And with better bullets nowadays than they had back then, like the Woodleigh HYDRO and the BBM HYDRA 480-grainer. hilbily
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:

It would be very interesting to see those bullets. Is there an image anywhere or any advertising ?

Rip ...

RIP - if you are on facebook, he posts under the name 'Atomic 29', being the atomic number of copper.

He has pics of the bullets he's producing on facebook. The 410 gr 458 looks like quite a useful pill for a lot of uses, except possibly large thick skinned game.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not a bad link.

https://www.facebook.com/atomi...4077333437&padding=0

There were I a few blokes on Australian Hunting Net used them. I can't look any more as I git banned a while ago Big Grin

I have never posted on Facebook but I joined because a lot of videos blokes were putting up on Australian Hunting Net were on Facebook instead of YouTube.

Use Google Chrome for it, not Internet Explorer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

If you are not on Facebook it is just an email and password like joining a forum.

For a while you will get notifications of "potential" friends. Basically it will bring up anyone who has registered on Facebook, even if not active, that has had some connection with you. Could for example be someone that has your mobile number and also someone else connected to them etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike and JFE,

I refuse to join fakebook, but many suckers are available to allow their devices to be used to send a picture to me:

Zoomed in on the two most beautiful:

Mighty nice.
5 cannelures on the 450-grainer, 4 cannelures on the 410-grainer.
First blush, the bullets look identical down to the 4th cannelure, though hollow point depths might differ,
just like with the Barnes 450-gr and 500-gr TSX.
Though the ATOMIC 29 bullets have a more precise look to them, narrower cannelures,
CNC turned from half-inch copper rods instead of hammer forged from a big roll of solid copper wire.
The ATOMIC 29 .458 bullets ought to be great with the .458 WIN-V-3.6",
crimped on the 3rd or 4th cannelure, I'd guess.
Crimped on the first cannelure for SAAMI loads.

Lots of hunters posing with dead animals, processed meat, hanging carcasses and recovered bullets on that fakebook page.
Interesting video of the bullets being made too.
I was surprised it was so hunter-friendly, it being fakebook and all.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bob,

I forgot to mention that I did call Hornady and talked to Preston.
I begged for a monometal .458"/ 400-grain bullet like the MonoFlex or GMX.
The MonoFlex could be used in tubular magazines.
The GMX would be more aerodynamic.
I am not too proud to beg.
tu2
Rip ...

Thanks RIP; I also gave them a call and was told that as more shooters/hunters call that would create a better impression on those responsible for such decisions. So perhaps some others here could do the same.

I too have an interest in 480s getting over 2350 fps from the Hornady. I also have a bunch of 470gr semi-hardcasts which I'll be working with when the weather warms up and the snow disappears.

Saw my good hunting buddy, Ken (retired CO), at a memorial service yesterday and made tentative plans for some action in the spring. Have to change my "wheels" as the current is a lease due to expire at end of April. Hope to get something more appropriate for toting a "big" bear.

Best regards,

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Stay strong!
FB is evil!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took "Big Ugly" hog hunting this weekend. No pigs were harmed. Sighting it in last week I found it shoots just over 1" groups at 100 yards. That's with a 1x4 scope at a dark indoor range with factory ammo, so I'm happy.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
The pigs better beware!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Bad weather here, I am sitting it out, waiting to try those 475-, 485- and 487-gr cast bullets as the preliminaries for 480-gr monometal and jacketed.
400-gr T6-HP and 480-gr T6-HYDRA and 480-gr Woodleigh HYDRO are up next.
If it is not raining, snowing, or sleeting, the wind has been enough to blow over the chronograph lately.
I'll report here when possible, hope you'll do the same.

After some waterbucket or waterboarding of above bullets, most likely candidate for testing would be pigs for me too, in Tennesseee instead of Texas.

Buy a donkey for any reports of .458 bullets on pigs, y'all.

Here are some pretty pictures of the Australian ATOMIC 29 bullets, one recovered from a pig, and two from scrub bulls:

I expect the .458"/ 400-gr T6-HP at 2500 fps will look a lot like the above, with similar shots.

The .458"/ 480-gr T6-HYDRA and Woodleigh HYDRO might be tough to recover from orbit after passing through game as trifling as pigs,
even with a Portuguese Heart Shot on Hogzilla.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick's call for info on the .400 G&H goaded me to look into PRACTICAL DOPE ON THE BIG BORES by F. C. Ness, copyright 1948.
You'd think the .400 G&H would be mentioned along with all the other pre-1930 stuff it covers.
No luck. The .400 G&H must be as rare as unicorn meat, which I prefer medium-well done, not rare.

The .400 Newton prototype may have been done as early as 1916 with .411" groove and .404" bore,
then another one like that in 1922 by Fred Adolph,
and maybe four more of that caliber in the Newton factory tool room.
In 1924 Charles Newton was making plans for a .408"-groove/.400"-bore version,
but it may have never happened.
The .400 Newton brass was never made, they used necked-up .35 Newton brass.

Ness says this on page 275 of his book:

".400 Newton

In commenting on the .400 Newton,
David A. Swaney says that the Buffalo Newton Co. made four such rifles by using the .405 Winchester barrel set in a collar in the Newton receiver.
They were long throated to permit a seating depth of only 1/8 inch with the 300-grain spitzer bullet. (my emphasis added)
The load was 69 grains of No. 10 powder and a 300-grain spitzer bullet was given 3042 f.s.m.v. That would be 6,165 ft. lbs."
animal

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP;

We're on the tail end of a blizzard that came up from TEXAS!! So far it's dumped 1-foot of snow with strong winds. It's going to take the rest of today to clear out the front of the house and driveway. Before all that most of the winter's blast had gone, melted, rained off, etc. But I told my wife a couple of days ago that we should still expect a couple of major snow storms before it's done. One more to go!

My work is preordained for the day. Hoping to get shooting again by early April. In the meantime some work to do in prep of loads.

Best regards,

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

So the rain and sleet that just went through Kentucky is now in Ontario and turned to snow.
Do you call that "Sou-wester" instead of a "Nor-easter" ?
Don't hurt yourself bulldozing the snow.
Looking forward to April. beer
March should be good here.
Spring is coming !

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trajectory stamped on the floor plate, is hard to read even in magnified view of the small picture,
50, 100, 140/?150, 200, 250 yards ... ?

Somebody thought the .458 Win.Mag. was pretty useful.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
RIP, Heres what’s on that bad ass G&H 458

50 100 150 200 250
1” 0 (3”) (10”) (20”)

Spacing doesn’t maintain when posted, but you can figure it out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
RIP, Heres what’s on that bad ass G&H 458

50 100 150 200 250
1” 0 (3”) (10”) (20”)

Spacing doesn’t maintain when posted, but you can figure it out.

I'll buy that, pretty flat shooting for a 500-grainer zeroed at 100 yards. tu2

This is the floor plate stamping for Bubba's most aerodynamic T6 bullet,
the BBM T6-HP 400-grainer zeroed for 200-yards, assuming BC = 0.330 and MV only 2500 fps:

0 yards .... -1.75"
50 yd ...... +1.19"
100 yd ..... +2.59"
150 yd ..... +2.26"
200 yd ..... 0.00"
250 yd ..... -4.42"
300 yd ..... -11.27"

Above is for scope in medium rings, 1.75" sight height.
For barrel sights with 1.00" sight height floor plate would be stamped:

0 yards .... -1.00"
50 yd ...... +1.76"
100 yd ..... +2.96"
150 yd ..... +2.45"
200 yd ..... 0.00"
250 yd ..... -4.61"
300 yd ..... -11.65"

Iron sights are not much difference if you have the eyes of a YOUNG fighter pilot.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another great pair of Hustlers:

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excerpts for book review follow.
Book:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big book, front cover, upper left corner on scanner:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Part of back cover:

Read legend above for ID on cover photographs.
"Friends of the Four Five Eight" often held conventions in India before the ban they were using .450 NE rifles, singles and doubles and the rare Certus.
After the ban they were hot for the .458 Winchester Magnum bolt action,
and their ranks grew exponentially.
This is historical "faction."
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:

tu2
Rip ...

That is interesting on the B58
The very first hunter I guided when I got to Alaska was Sid Kubesch, who set a world record flying the B58
He also was sheep hunting with a 1920's vintage G&H 7x57.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
That is interesting on the B58
The very first hunter I guided when I got to Alaska was Sid Kubesch, who set a world record flying the B58
He also was sheep hunting with a 1920's vintage G&H 7x57.

Phil,
Thanks for supporting THE MISSION.
B-58 pilots set a bunch of speed for distance with "specified load of the contest" records.
The +Mach-2 B-58 was a "Hustler" that could carry the load, like the .458 WIN.
Will have to Google Sid Kubesch.

https://www.kokomotribune.com/...e1-3ad760e89e76.html

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Major Sidney J Kubesch

I think he said his father-in-law had given him the G&H rifle and it was neat seeing him use it on a wet Alaskan sheep hunt.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's great Phil, moving this thread right along,
thanks.
Yep, he was a world famous celebrity in the JFK days.
Here is a pdf file of the story of Major Sidney J. Kubesch, USAF beating the sun around the globe,
even if he did take a shortcut over the Arctic,
and that was a first for a supersonic bomber too:

https://www.airforcemag.com/PD...1964/0264greased.pdf

GO AIR FORCE !

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Continuing the RIGBY BOOK review: