Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Hmmm. Well, considering the competing issues of velocity needed for big cats and recoil, perhaps lion hunters might be better using a 416 Rigby or 375 H&H mag.

Nah. Use a .458-caliber 300-grain or 350-grain TSX at 2700 to 2800 fps MV for either bullet weight, from a SAAMI .458 WIN.
2800 fps is fast enough for any DG hunting.
Higher velocity than that at impact: Even brass solids bulge.
Either of those bullets at 2700 to 2800 fps will "smart" and get the attention of a big cat when it drops dead.

BTW, the .458/300-grain TSX at 2800 fps will recoil less than Saeed's .375/404J rifles due to the lesser weight of faster-burning powders used.
Just not a long range bullet in the .458 WIN.
And of course you do not want to shoot lion and leopard at long range.
The .458 WIN is a fantastic lion rifle.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
quote:
Thereafter, any disrepute for the .458 WIN came from a cabal of maledictors conspiring to promote their own agendas.

RIP,
With your permission, I will use this line adapted for .45-70 and .45-90 when I next explain that it is bullets and ballistics, not product name or action type that slay big beasts.

It seems that some poorly informed folk will never learn.

Please do! And, never forget:
Illegitimi non carborundum!
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcelliott:
RIP, at the risk of only repeating what you have already pointed out, but for my own thought process, and for the sake of THE MISSION, when we look at Win Mag vs Lott vs. Watts Mag case length vs COL, we have:

.458 Win Mag SAAMI: case length 2.5", COL 3.34" for a nose length of 0.84"

.458 Win Mag LongCOL: case length 2.5", COL 3.6 for a nose length of 1.1"

.458 Lott SAAMI: case length 2.8", COL 3.6" for a nose length of 0.80"

.450 Watts Mag: case length 2.854", COL 3.7" for a nose length of 0.846"

Since Lott was using magazine lengths of 3.6", to maintain the nose length of the Win Mag, he should have trimmed his "new" cartridge case to 2.76". To maintain the nose length of the Watts Mag, he should have trimmed his "new" cartridge case to 2.754". (Obviously, as RIP has pointed out ad nauseum, since the Win Mag can be loaded LongCol to fill a 3.6" magazine, there is no advantage to the Lott here, even with a WinMag throat.)

Even if using the entire CZ magazine length of 3.85" with Lott brass loads, to maintain a nose length of 1.1" like the Win Mag LongCOL, the case should be trimmed to 2.75". So even in the CZ, full length Lott brass is not needed.

In both cases (pun intended!), whether 3.6" or 3.85" inch magazines, full-length Lott brass isn't needed or even advantageous for 480+ grain bullets. The argument still applies even when making a WinWatt chamber from a Win Mag.

What have I learned from this exercise? Even though the .458 Lott cartridge wasn't needed at all, since we already had the Watts Mag, Lott at least should have trimmed that case shorter than 2.8" (probably 2.75-2.76", if not all the way to 2.7") before adding his name to it.

Most EXCELLENT ! Worth repeating ! (Note ALF-style exclamation points.)

.458 Win Mag SAAMI: case length 2.500", COL 3.340" for a nose length of 0.840": Use in +3.4" box length, Standard M98, or longer.

.458 Win Mag LongCOL: case length 2.500", COL 3.600" for a nose length of 1.100": Use in +3.6" box length, Winchester M70 Classic, or longer.

.458 Lott SAAMI: case length 2.800", COL 3.600" for a nose length of 0.800": FORGET ABOUT IT.

.450 Watts Mag: case length 2.850", COL 3.700" for a nose length of 0.850": Use in +3.7" box length, opened-up Whitworth Mk X, or longer.

.458 W-W Super: case length 2.800", COL 3.800" for a nose length of 1.000": Use in +3.8" box length, True Magnum actions.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:

.458 Lott SAAMI: case length 2.800", COL 3.600" for a nose length of 0.800": FORGET ABOUT IT.

Rip ...

Hahahahahahaha!

Posts: 118 | Location: SC | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
shame

The 458 Win like it or not, was primarily (and likely will always be) a cartridge associated with DG hunting ! That was it’s intent and it’s purpose.

At the same time I wonder if Winchester foresaw much wider use by blokes who just like big bangers. Perhaps experience from the 375 H&H.

Many years ago I had an account with the sole importer of Hornady bullets into Australia. When a new shipment arrived what stood out was the number of 375 and 458 bullets, including the 300 grain 375s and 500 grain 458s. Let me tell you if only 1% of those bullets were used on Sambar deer or Buffalo, there would be none of them left Big Grin

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Hmmm. Well, considering the competing issues of velocity needed for big cats and recoil, perhaps lion hunters might be better using a 416 Rigby or 375 H&H mag.

Nah. Use a .458-caliber 300-grain or 350-grain TSX at 2700 to 2800 fps MV for either bullet weight, from a SAAMI .458 WIN.
2800 fps is fast enough for any DG hunting.
Higher velocity than that at impact: Even brass solids bulge.
Either of those bullets at 2700 to 2800 fps will "smart" and get the attention of a big cat when it drops dead.

BTW, the .458/300-grain TSX at 2800 fps will recoil less than Saeed's .375/404J rifles due to the lesser weight of faster-burning powders used.
Just not a long range bullet in the .458 WIN.
And of course you do not want to shoot lion and leopard at long range.
The .458 WIN is a fantastic lion rifle.
tu2
Rip ...

Good thought. For recoil mitigation, that velocity could be dropped a bit and still exceed that said to be needed for lions. Then you have the big one for even bigger critters, assuming there's time to change ammo.

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
RIP, love you ceiling display; reminds me of my ceiling when I was a kid with all the War 1 planes in dogfight scenarios. Your Fokker D7 in the background + what looks like from what little I can see of the one on the left as a 180 Spad w/ the N wing separators. Oh, back to the 458. I had a teenage dream for one years ago + finally bought a couple in my "adulthood?" but I must say that for me personally, I really prefer the 375 H+H. But thats just me. One can't have a real opinion unless he tries them all.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
... it hit me with "the cold sudden fury of a divine messenger" (as Jimbo said) that if we have to do all that to prevent bending scopes or getting the reticle out of centre, what is the point of constantly centred reticles for any serious purpose?

We can only pray that a divine messenger will bring the cold sudden fury of truth to ALF.

I have always preferred steel scopes or German dural ones with thick tubes and stout rails

First monoplane fighter of WWI was made of duralumin in 1918
(aluminum/aluminium with about 4% copper and lesser amounts of manganese and magnesium, it hardens with age): Junker D1 pictured above.

and wonder how strong one-inch aluminum ones can really be. But when the concept is unpacked, a 'constantly centred' scope with the reticle clicked away from the centre is just the optical equivalent of a bent scope, anyway. Even the old Pecar Champion, whose makers eschewed floating the erector set, is guilty of this optical distortion if not mounted straight.

That is some cold sudden fury of truth right there.
The flat top of a CZ 550 Magnum with a flat rail screwed and glued to it
seems friendlier now.
Still gotta do the reticle centering jitterbug to see how honest the CZ flat top is.
tu2
Rip ...

Thanks RIP, you might recall that I worked out the 30mm scope barrel is not necessarily anything to do with giving more adjustment for long range. This came from noticing Zeiss and B. Nickel at least were using the fat, dural tubes in their variables long before going to image-movement. And, since adjustment in those scopes was meant to be limited to keep the reticle centralised, I believe the extra width was mainly to strengthen the tube. The fixed-power alloy scopes were 1-2mm thicker than the 26mm steel ones and most/all had dovetail rails moulded as part of the dural scope body, which gave additional rigidity as well as provision for mount-anchoring.

I don't know whether Bill Hambly-Clark's concern with bent scopes is to do with optical distortion or being strain-free to enhance shot consistency but his insistence that we start with reticles dead centre suggests it may be the former.

I hope your CZ does line up well. Maybe I've been spoiled by experience with Sako and Anschutz receivers and barrels that lined up very well. Had the old American rifles of the 1950s been more like that and Kollmorgen and Weaver might have found something better to do with their creative urges Smiler

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far so good with .458 WIN Bobbarrella CZ-Shilen
and the Double-Seyfried-Schtick 2-Piece Picatinny.

Gotta pick up the ".458 Winchester The Flanged" Ruger-Pedersoli tomorrow,
er uh, later today.
Aka .45-100 Sharps Winchester Throat.
She is done, and has a 20-MOA tilt to her 1-piece Picatinny mounted on the barrel.

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great article here:

"30-30 Misconceptions Through The Years"

The most popular hunting rifle and cartridge combination in history is widely known — and inaccurately understood.

The John Browning-designed Winchester Model 94 lever-action in 30-30 Winchester was the first commercial sporting rifle/cartridge that used smokeless gunpowder. This was a huge advancement in firearms technology, but the M94 was not initially chambered in 30-30 ...

https://winchester.com/Blog/20...ns-through-the-years

Maybe we shall find an article entitled:

".458 Winchester Magnum Misconceptions Through The Years"

A Thutty-Thutty bolt action would be great training wheels for a Four-Five-Eight.
But of course, what we really need is a lever-action .458 WIN for that cartridge team.
Yes, I know about the Browning BLR.
It still resides on my wish list.
So does the NEMO OMEN in .458 WIN.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
NormanConquest,

Thank you, but not my ceiling display.
I do appreciate your fine tastes in model airplanes.
When I was a kid, I had B-58 Hustlers and F-104 Starfighters hanging from my ceiling.

Hustler first flew in 1956, same year the .458 WIN took off,
another Mach-2 Bomber:

Here is a "Pre-'64" F-104, reminds me of a .458 WIN LongCOL cartridge: Prototypes first flew in 1956 also.
What a coincidence !

Thanks again, for supporting THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Give him hell, Mike !
Worth repeating:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
shame
The 458 Win like it or not, was primarily (and likely will always be) a cartridge associated with DG hunting ! That was it’s intent and it’s purpose.

At the same time I wonder if Winchester foresaw much wider use by blokes who just like big bangers. Perhaps experience from the 375 H&H.

Many years ago I had an account with the sole importer of Hornady bullets into Australia. When a new shipment arrived what stood out was the number of 375 and 458 bullets, including the 300 grain 375s and 500 grain 458s. Let me tell you if only 1% of those bullets were used on Sambar deer or Buffalo, there would be none of them left Big Grin

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

I once this thread could be an AR central reference thread. We have scopes, scope mounts, cast bullets, paper patch bullets nd a heap of other stuff and now aircraft. Fucking everyone is catered for Big Grin

Another few pages time we are sure to get to necking up 264 or 7mm Rem to the 458 Win and that will produce a heap of information on case forming.

Now that we have aircraft I guess ships will get a run.

Very informative as well as entertaining thread. Ron, your talents and especially efforts on posting pictures and those old gun book articles are truly appreciated.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Buy a buy a donkey ! So they say in Afrikaans.

FedEX delivered.
Bob is back in the saddle, with plenty of loads to pick from, for his .458 WIN:

He did mention a 300-gr TSX at 2750 fps for filling the wolf tag.
Sounds like an excellent "lion load" too.
Or bear load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty rifle, and she likes to smell the coffee:

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am finally in possession of another Ruger No.1 chambered for .45-100 SWT 2.6" aka .458 WIN Flanged.
I will get pics of her next,
for THE MISSION.

For comparison, Bob's .458 WIN Ruger No.1-S Tropical must weigh about 9 pounds with the 24" "tropical" barrel, about 0.810" muzzle diameter.
My "new" one has a 28.5" octagon barrel that has no taper, about 1.110" across the flats from breech to muzzle, 1:18" twist.
It used to be a Pedersoli .45-70 barrel that was formerly 30" long, on a "Buffalo" Rolling Block.
No more.
The bare Ruger No.1, now a .45-100 SWT rifle, weighs 11.5 pounds, without scope.
That includes a front sight and a Picatinny base on the barrel, with an NECG peep sight,
and a custom blob of epoxy on the forearm to serve as a base for mounting a long bipod,
for shooting from a sitting position,
when making a stand.
It is going to be primarily a cast bullet rifle.
An M70 with short and skinny barrel of the usual 1:14" twist is also planned,
for .458 WIN LongCOL 3.6"
for THE MISSION.
Could I be foolish enough to convert Bobbarrella to .458 W-W Super?
I cried like a baby once, after having foolishly converted a .458 WIN to .458 Lott Like Jack Built ... not really all that horrible.
Such a silly thing to do !
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is some pretty wood, Alf, but I really do prefer the standard lines of the Ruger No.1-S Tropical like Bob has.
Thanks for supporting THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Both nice rifles. I just wish I had friends like ALF's. My gunsmith mate has done some neat stuff for me but I doubt he's got walnut like that hanging around.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Alf.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is some pretty wood, Alf, but I really do prefer the standard lines of the Ruger No.1-S Tropical like Bob has.
Thanks for supporting THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

So do I.

Also as to Mike's comment about letting ships into the conversation, everyone knows ships and planes go together, so why not!

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Another RIP quote
"Nah. Use a .458-caliber 300-grain or 350-grain TSX at 2700 to 2800 fps MV for either bullet weight, from a SAAMI .458 WIN.
2800 fps is fast enough for any DG hunting."

Aha, something else that I can use for those who look down their noses at using lever action rifles for DG! Wink
My .458 MiniMag (45-90/.458 2.4) has taken a leopard with a .458 300 grain Nosler PP at 2200 fps MV; DRT without a twitch. Cat was eating a farmer's goat while lying on soft sand and the sand allowed the expanded bullet to stay inside the the cats hide and be recovered; beautiful expansion.
We had loaded the 300 grainers to 2600 fps, but at that velocity they over expanded on the hanging dead sheep used for testing targets.

So, I knew the 1886 was a proven ele, buff, and leopard gun and now it has the specs to be a lion gun.

Looking forward to comparing the average specs of a gun for hippo (already know that .454 Casull is all that needed to take a rhino).

Please, no comments from snowflakes about a steel crescent butt plate hurting the shooter. That only shows that you do not know how to mount such a rifle.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty rifle, and she likes to smell the coffee:

Thanks for posting RIP. And thanks to RIP for making this all possible -- and in a short time!

I'll be loading up those 300 TSXs shortly at around 2750 fps. I'm hopeful of getting to the range next week for sight-in and verification of MV.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Another RIP quote
"Nah. Use a .458-caliber 300-grain or 350-grain TSX at 2700 to 2800 fps MV for either bullet weight, from a SAAMI .458 WIN.
2800 fps is fast enough for any DG hunting."

Aha, something else that I can use for those who look down their noses at using lever action rifles for DG! Wink
My .458 MiniMag (45-90/.458 2.4) has taken a leopard with a .458 300 grain Nosler PP at 2200 fps MV; DRT without a twitch. Cat was eating a farmer's goat while lying on soft sand and the sand allowed the expanded bullet to stay inside the the cats hide and be recovered; beautiful expansion.
We had loaded the 300 grainers to 2600 fps, but at that velocity they over expanded on the hanging dead sheep used for testing targets.

So, I knew the 1886 was a proven ele, buff, and leopard gun and now it has the specs to be a lion gun.

Looking forward to comparing the average specs of a gun for hippo (already know that .454 Casull is all that needed to take a rhino).

Please, no comments from snowflakes about a steel crescent butt plate hurting the shooter. That only shows that you do not know how to mount such a rifle.

I've got the rifle CR, but it's still in .45-70. I don't suppose a .45-90 reamer could be arranged to screw onto a long range-rod (with muzzle protector) and run from the front end, to save removing the barrel?

Anyway, I'm being dragged to the coast for a week, so don't be surprised if I don't contribute for the next few days.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Sambarman,
Yes, the 1886 45-70 can be converted to 45-90 with a little mod to the load mechanism and a chamber extension.
Send me a PM upon your return and I will put you in touch with folks that know the details.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is great !
Like introducing your dog to a friend's dog.
You keep them on short leashes while they bristle and sniff each other's butts.
Soon they are playing together nicely.

Bob's dog: A pure-bred from Ruger.

Now Bob's dog sniffs this, a mixed-breed with hybrid vigor, nice doggie but not AKC:

https://photos.imageevent.com/...65-388F3C456918.jpeg
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Next my new pet dog (Ruger AKC) gets and gives the butt sniffing introduction:

Dog analogy off.

Bob's buttstock came from a factory .416 Rigby, STRONG, now on his .458 WIN.
The artificial lighting does not do it justice.

Alf's is a custom re-do of a .458 WIN.

Mine came from a 9.3x74R, now on a .458 WIN Flanged. It looks like a sissy next to Bob's.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The action and buttstock were from same donor 9.3x74R.
The forearm is from the same .416 Rigby as Bob's buttstock.
The 9.3x74R forearm was too slender to handle the straight octagon barrel used here:

one of us
posted Hide Post
That barrel is from a Pedersoli "Buffalo" Remington Rolling Block, .45-70 Gov.
The tall Lyman front sight was replaced with a shorter one (Lyman 17AHB 0.404" high).
Has a bunch of inserts, aperture, post, bead on post, etc.
The sight height of front sight is hoped to be workable with this NECG rear peep for starters:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking down the barrel at the front sight:

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

Unlike the outside, the inside of that forearm is a beauty !
GUNSMITH Rusty McGee did a great job of salvaging these parts.
Inside the forearm is a full-contact, brown epoxy bedding throughout, except for the hollows needed for the hanger and springs and ejector.
That is a form-fitting "half-octagon" recess.
There is rigid support for the bipod.
Feels good to carry the iron-sighted rifle about with one hand gripping the "palmswell" on the forearm.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
A different scope, an oldie-goldie scope on an oldie-goldie-style rifle.
That's it ! The rifle's name is official:
Goldie Pedersoli-Ruger.
Another one of those high falutin' hyphenated names.

The Leupold QRW 1-inch, medium-height rings are same height from top of Picatinny to start of scope tube (0.25")
as the Burris Xtreme Tactical 30mm, low-height rings shown next.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will break her in gently with 480-ish- and 540-ish-grain bullet weights.
Given the choke bore, maybe my old .459"-diameter bullets will work:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since this 10:1 bullet casts at .4595" diameter,
it might cast at .4610" diameter in 92:5:2:1 alloy,
and in that harder alloy, it might come out at exactly 480 grains with a gas check and double coat of paint ! Smiler

Whatever works best, I can size these bullets to either .459" or .461" by such methods.
Ditto the plain-base versions of similar two weights.

I have 98 of these old 10:1 bullets to play with:

I could double-paint these 10:1 bullets and size them with the Lee .460" sizer.
They might stay 0.460" that way, or maybe even "spring back" to 0.461"
which is what I think happens to the 92:5:2:1 alloy,
or the Lee .460" sizer is actually a .461" sizer ?
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
... Also as to Mike's comment about letting ships into the conversation, everyone knows ships and planes go together, so why not!

Excellent idea, to be taken under advisement for THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton

Jolly good show!
You need to try the flat-nosed version of the Barnes 300-grain TSX and see how fast you can go with that one.

Pray tell ! What bullet type, weight, and MV from the .454 Casull works well on rhino ?

I have one of those BACO/MIROKU WIN 1886 "Short Rifles" with 20" barrel, but .45-70 Gov.
So, come to think of it, I need to try those Lever-action 300-gr TSX too.

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all;

New and improved pic on my header, I think... Big Grin

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

How do you keep your carpet so clean?

http://www.bigbores.ca
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got the rifle CR, but it's still in .45-70. I don't suppose a .45-90 reamer could be arranged to screw onto a long range-rod (with muzzle protector) and run from the front end, to save removing the barrel?

Anyway, I'm being dragged to the coast for a week, so don't be surprised if I don't contribute for the next few days.

Paul,

I went to a wedding yesterday. My excuse for not posting for a day.
It was one of those "Dance Little Jean, Today Your Mom is Marrying Your Dad" sorts of affairs.
Glorious !
Go get some R&R, for THE MISSION, just be ready to fly and fight or row that boat when you get back. tu2

Bob's .45-70 Long Throat comes to mind, if not a full-blown .45-90 for your M-1886.
And I need to go slug a BACO/MIROKU M1885 High Wall 125th Anniversary .45-70 Govt.
Surely re-chambering that to .458 WIN Flanged will not detract from value.
tu2
Rip ...