THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Maybe 99grains AA3100 hoping for 2500fps +/-
in a 416 Rigby.
Would you guess the BC at about .200?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice 600 OK test Michael.
Did just the same as the 577 - penetrated deeeep at slooow velocity..

Wish I could send you my 577 Tyrannosaur rifle loaded with some 750 grs BBW#13 solids at 2600 fps. Just to let you try to recover a bullet in a third test box Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow,
I would have never expected the blades to exit the Zebra's neck.
A great bullet but not a Magic one, you still have to be able to shoot accurately.

These are not small targets or long range, is your Buddy flinching or just to excited?

Celebrating your recovery and my birthday today. Your drinking Grey Goose.
Dont worry I'm drinking yours Wink

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phatman:
Wow,
I would have never expected the blades to exit the Zebra's neck.
A great bullet but not a Magic one, you still have to be able to shoot accurately.

These are not small targets or long range, is your Buddy flinching or just to excited?

Celebrating your recovery and my birthday today. Your drinking Grey Goose.
Dont worry I'm drinking yours Wink

Cheers, John

John

Happy Birthday! Drink up everyone! HEH HEH.....

It would not matter if my buddy had an ELEPHANT in front of him at 10 yds he would stand a very good chance of a complete miss--By Snatching the hell out of it!!!!!

I finally, after years, got him to where he could shoot from the bench, to sight in, test, and things like that. But I will never get him to shoot from the field, I guess nervous, excited, snatching hell out of the trigger, whatever. You see, I can bust him on the range, but can't teach him to shoot from the field. He is such a "manly Man" too, he would never use a "Rest", always standing, can't teach him sticks either. So if I am with him, I just shoot the second he shoots, then all is good to go, unless of course I miss too?? LOL.......

Buffalo

No Thanks, I like my Ultra Bores at 2150-2200 fps just fine! But, you are correct, #13s love velocity better than any bullet I have ever tested. Every increase in velocity gives you a gain in penetration. Other nose profiles, the North Fork example also likes velocity and does give increases with more velocity, however not as much as the #13 profile, same with the Barnes, and I suspect some others as well. But, #13 really gains a lot with more velocity--to what upper end? I don't know? But, it is also a great bullet at Low Velocity--and is far more than adequate at these lower velocities as well! So my question is this--if you get more than enough penetration with the solid at 2150--2250 fps, why worry too much at 2500 +? Myself, I am downloading the 500 MDM with the little tiny 500 gr BBW#13 from 2600 to a mere 2380-2400 fps! But, I am trying to match POI with the 460 NonCon at 2540 or so. Right now, about an inch lower with the solid at 50. I can live with that.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
Maybe 99grains AA3100 hoping for 2500fps +/-
in a 416 Rigby.
Would you guess the BC at about .200?

Tanz

Going from a few downrange velocities I have from terminals the program tells me that the BC is .256. ?????

M

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Myself, I am downloading the 500 MDM with the little tiny 500 gr BBW#13 from 2600 to a mere 2380-2400 fps! But, I am trying to match POI with the 460 NonCon at 2540 or so. Right now, about an inch lower with the solid at 50. I can live with that.

Michael
You could use that worthless 460gr BBW #13 HB FN solid as your solid backup to your 460gr BBW #13 NonCon HP …should be pretty close to same POI at 50yds and further…pure supposition on my part though.

Happy Birtyday John!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could use that worthless 460gr BBW #13 HB FN solid as your solid backup to your 460gr BBW #13 NonCon HP …

Jim

I had intended to look at that issue. Problem is, I am not satisfied with the accuracy of that bullet at 50 yds? It might be the load, hollow base, powder, rifle, 500 MDM, just not sure and don't have the time to investigate it now. But accuracy is poor in my opinion right now.

Right now I have the following that I am taking to test--460 BBW#13 HP, 500 BBW#13 Solid, 425 BBW#13 HP Deep Cavity Lion bullet, 450 North Fork CPS and 450 North Fork FPS. All these shooting withing POI and with suitable accuracy in the 500 MDM.

In the 458 B&M--420 BBW#13 HP, 450 BBW#13, 370 BBW#13 HP, 400 BBW#13, 400 North Fork. This rifle does not shoot the 450 North Fork so well, I wanted to take some of those. Oh, and add to that the 480 BBW#13 Solid too.

Michael

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by someoldguy:
quote:
the best dangerous game rifle would be built like a pump shotgun.

A pump-action DGR! I like the idea!

alas, DG is in africa, and you can NOT take a pump rifle there, as I understand it.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The low velocity performance of these BBW #13 .620" bullets is just stellar. The bottom load reaches the top load of a magnum shotgun performance so this begs the question of how well a brass solid or hollow point of a scaled up design in .729" bullet of about 900 grains would do. The BBW #13 could turn the magnum 12 gauge into a serious player if it can get 50" of penetration and no need of expansion.

quote:
Yes, I wanted also to get some data on the BBW#13 .620s at low velocity. Some were much lower velocity than I had targeted.

Here I was actually targeting 1600 fps or so, I had 1487 fps and the results were excellent.

The matching 825 NonCon at extreme low velocity, still shears!!!!!!!

Bumping velocity up with the 900 BBW#13 to 1700 fps at the muzzle was extreme again!

At any velocity you want to work with these bullets you are in dandy shape, make it light on yourself!

This is VERY VERY excellent news for ALL 600 Nitro guys! Pick the velocity that works best in your rifle and go with it! You have enough bullet to accomplish your mission whatever velocity you choose!

This will conclude all work right now with the BBW#13s. We have extreme low velocity tests and higher velocity, working velocity of 2150 to 2200 fps--plenty believe me! So now I will continue on to test the other bullets Doc sent to me, all with the same powder charges as the 2150-2200 fps loads with the BBW#13s. We can see how they stack up, both velocity and terminals with the exact same load. That's next!!!!! Coming to you soon as I can!

Quickly to summarize things:

825 BBW#13 NonCon--1441 fps--19 inches Shears
825 BBW#13 NonCon--1914 fps--23 Inches
825 BBW#13 NonCon--2201 fps--43 Inches

900 BBW#13 Solid--1487 fps--52 Inches
900 BBW#13 Solid--1702 fps--61 Inches
900 BBW#13 Solid--1839 fps--64 Inches
900 BBW#13 Solid--1895 fps--64 Inches
900 BBW#13 Solid--2010 fps--68 Inches
900 BBW#13 Solid--2161 fps--76 Inches

All of these more than enough to accomplish any mission embarked upon!

Michael

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27610 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These bullets are made by Gods!!!!

52 inches at less than 1500 fps. I'm beginning to wonder what it can do in a Muzzle Loader.

Why did it take a hundered years to do this, amazing.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:

52 inches at less than 1500 fps. I'm beginning to wonder what it can do in a Muzzle Loader.

Cheers, John

Because you have Cement Block Heads out there with big bore rifles that won't consider anything but a Round Nose FMJ! Because that is what they read in a book somewhere!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I got some good news from North Fork Today!!!!

.500 caliber, 450 gr Bonded Premium bullets are being run on Wednesday this week! In my hands by first of next week. This means I will have them before departure!

This is actually the bullet designed for the 50 B&M Alaskan lever gun, will work in the short marlin action. However, it should do great in the 50 B&M and even the 500 MDM as well. We will see, and in time for field work.

I am and have been working on the 600 OK--the other bullets Doc sent. I had enough of that today for sure! BOOM

Michael

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
This makes the 540 grain 45-70 hammerheads look puny Wink

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27610 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
You could use that worthless 460gr BBW #13 HB FN solid as your solid backup to your 460gr BBW #13 NonCon HP …

Jim

I had intended to look at that issue. Problem is, I am not satisfied with the accuracy of that bullet at 50 yds? It might be the load, hollow base, powder, rifle, 500 MDM, just not sure and don't have the time to investigate it now. But accuracy is poor in my opinion right now.

Michael
Michael,

That's definately not good to hear. But, you are well set for your hunt with the loadings that you're taking!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Cheers, John

Because you have Cement Block Heads out there with big bore rifles that won't consider anything but a Round Nose FMJ! Because that is what they read in a book somewhere!

Michael

Michael,

I resemble that remark. dancing

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:

Michael

Michael,

I resemble that remark. dancing

465H&H

animal

I figured if you were lurking around that might "Draw" you out! rotflmo

Look here, Where you been buddy? Have not heard of you in some time now! All is well I hope?

HEH HEH,,,,,,, Still laughing

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just goes to show that even with a great bullet poor shooting still doesn't work well. However with 6 blades flying off a bullet in all directions and a solid pushing through straight may make a poor shot a fatal one.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Michael- Top loads with the .600ok and 900gr bullets can be had basically with a case load of IMR 4350.Use a 24 inch drop tube and max OAL. With the 900gr bullets you had better hold on. The fastest guns have three groove rifling and 26 inch barrels. My Craola tip 750s should scream out of the tube with that powder charge. In my crude testing the penetration was very impressive.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have what I got? Sounds like to me, if the shots were placed properly then the bullet did an excellent job of trauma transfer and terminal performance. Not placed properly, they are still not miracle bullets yet! Still have to chase them down, shoot them some more- HEH HEH.

Bullet placement and performance!!!

Perhaps somewhat oddly, I don't want a miracle bullet. By that I mean a bullet that will drop the game where ever the bullet hits. This is about the hunt and the hunter. About fair chase, not about meat hunting for survival. If the latter is the case, then use nerve poison delivered by bullet or stampede the animal into a trap.

For me bullet performance is all about the bullet creating the intended results if it is placed properly.

A question is, how much should the bullet be expected to make up for poor placement? I really don't know. To take a phrase from racing, the bullet should be on the side of the hunter. If the bullet is placed in the famous triangle, which enables the lungs to be pierced and the heart/veins/arteries to be damaged in some way, then that effect should occur and the animal harvested. If the bullet is placed to enter the brain cavity or the spinal nerve any place from the base of the brain to the shoulders, the animal should be harvested. Beyond that, I don't know how much more we should expect from the bullet.

I do like the noncoms. The pedals and the nose shapes does increase the likelyhood that fatal damage will occure, even if the shoot is off slightly. However, a gut shot is a gut shot, even with a noncom. Using a noncom for a thorax shot will increase the likelyhood of fatal damage. Noncoms also increase the bleeding from a wound. Still, I want placement as I don't want the animal to escape and die a lingering death.

What about nitro filled bullets? They explode inside the target. Should an exploding bullet be called a miracle bullet? Or a bullet which release nerve poison? Should that be called a miracle bullet?

Where I stand right now is that the CEB, NF and S&M noncoms are as close to a miracle bullet as is available. Any other advancement in the miracle direction, I want to see before I consider it acceptable to me. My goal being bullet performance combined with proper placement. I don't expect the bullet to make up for bad placement regardless if the bad placement is caused by the hunter's lack of skill/judgement or the animal moving. beer

One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
alas, DG is in africa, and you can NOT take a pump rifle there, as I understand it.

Probably not, Jeff, but I can dream. Big Grin

Pretty clear in case of the 900 grain CEB .600 solids being tested that penetration is proportional to momentum! Imagine that...

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So my question is this--if you get more than enough penetration with the solid at 2150--2250 fps, why worry too much at 2500 +? Michael

You are right Michael, of course..
Was just trying to be funny..

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by someoldguy:

Pretty clear in case of the 900 grain CEB .600 solids being tested that penetration is proportional to momentum! Imagine that...

ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL.

But if they're not, then those some of things play a greater role. 65 to 70 % range for the nose, or the rounding of the edges are two examples. If you have two bullets of equal momentum and those things are not equal, then penetration is not proportional to momentum. horse

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Just goes to show that even with a great bullet poor shooting still doesn't work well. However with 6 blades flying off a bullet in all directions and a solid pushing through straight may make a poor shot a fatal one.

Sam

Sam and IBT

Agreed. Nothing can really replace proper placement. Poor shooting is still poor shooting, no doubt. There are advantages with poor shots, with 6 blades leaving for the far corners, solid driving and ripping tissue. But still no replacement for good bullet placement.

Rob

Thank you for the info, insight, and the 600 OK, a hammer of a cartridge, no doubt about it. For those willing to make the sacrifices it is a manageable field operations tool as well. But it does take some commitment I believe. Like everything we do in shooting there are compromises that have to be made.

There is one thing however, there is no compromise in performance with the 600 OverKill with good bullets! As we have seen with the BBW#13s for sure.

I finished my tests yesterday afternoon with the 600 OverKill. No, I did not raise the velocities to full potential of the cartridge. There were several reasons for this. I contend personally that 2150 to 2200 fps is an excellent velocity to run these big 700-900 gr hammers of Thor! Beyond that is not really needed for anything elephant, hippo, buffalo, and even old T'Rex! All the test work was done without the muzzle brake. Doing the test work indoors I have LOT"S of expensive lighting, that I would just as soon not blow out with muzzle blast of the beast! So honestly while I might could have handled some more velocity from the bench without a brake, I just as soon not. And most certainly not very many of them.

All the heavier but not full potential loads were 170 gr of WW 760, Federal 215 Primers of course. I did not try and match velocity and have all bullets running at 2150 fps, they fell in where they were and that is that.

Normally I am always happy to take requests and do whatever, but this time this test is completed. HEH.... I have to get moving on some other projects, and, and, and, ! LOL....

I am going to have a separate post for each bullet test done with one exception that I will talk about below this photo.

Here was yesterdays Lineup

The one bullet I am going to discuss here before moving on is the GSC bullet. This bullet came in at 750 grs, but .615 caliber, not .620???? Not sure why. I loaded it and attempted to test anyway. One shot hit top of the box, completely sideways. I had suspected instability, so I had laid several heavy catalogs and books on top of the box to keep them in, maybe. The bullet hitting high and sideways ripped the entire top catalogs off the box, sent them flying and shredded all over the back of the range. Two lights were blown out, I can't say why, the bullet did not hit the lights, no sign of holes, fragments, nothing, just blown bulbs and broken glass everywhere. After cleanup I never found any sign of where the bullet had hit anything, not in the catalogs, no holes in the back, top or sides, that I could see easily! Where did it go? I will probably find it at some point, but right now I don't have a clue. I declined to shoot the second one on that basis. The velocity was low, being .615 I suppose lot's of gas slipped by, at only 1996 fps.

Next;

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Let's look at our solids in the lineup first, end up with the soft.

I am not sure who or what this big 900 gr Copper bullet is. I am sure some of you know, and can comment. Now please, whoever made this don't be upset as I am going to give my opinion on improvements that could be made on all of them, regardless.

This bullet has a very good meplat, 65% best I can measure by stamping and measuring, which I do not claim to be exact, but best we have been able to come up with.

Good nose profile, good meplat. A radius meplat would improve performance I think. And I think I would have added some bands to the bottom end to reduce bearing surface.

It performed very good, passing completely through the first box into box #2. A bit off course right at the end.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Next the "Crayola" bullet as Rob calls it. I assume Rob is making these. I am not going to candy coat anything, I did not expect this bullet to do well because of the smallish meplat, 56% as I measured. In private, I stated as much. But honestly, I was wrong, this little 720 gr bullet and it's smallish meplat performed FAR better than I expected it to do! As you can see one to 61 inches dead straight, then veering at the end of penetration. The other to 65 only 2 inches off course. 2 inches off course in 65 inches, passing through the 1 st box is not much. It only just did so and as best I could tell was also dead straight to 60 or slightly better. The one shot that exited the top was not that far off course at the end, it was a slightly high shot into the box to begin with. I found where it bounced off the back of the range, was found in the floor, back at the FRONT of the first box. I think maybe it wanted another go at that box? HEH HEH.

I think this was very good performance for a bullet with this meplat size!

Couple of things, sharp radius and sharp base. Maybe a radius on the meplat, and bevel on the base would help loading the bullet, and help penetration as well. Overall however, I can't complain about the performance at all.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Now for the S&H Solid, with Sharc fins, and big 72% meplat. I had little doubt as to how this big meplat solid would perform, but figured for sure that penetration would be limited because of the large meplat. Wrong again! Just when you think you can make a guess on something....... Oh Well!

This thing hammered through the first box into the second, dead straight the entire way. Agent J has done a superb job with this bullet. Nice radius, bevel base, easy to work with, and great performance, not much else to say about that, the results speak......

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's look at our solids in the lineup first, end up with the soft.

I am not sure who or what this big 900 gr Copper bullet is. I am sure some of you know, and can comment. Now please, whoever made this don't be upset as I am going to give my opinion on improvements that could be made on all of them, regardless.

This bullet has a very good meplat, 65% best I can measure by stamping and measuring, which I do not claim to be exact, but best we have been able to come up with.

Good nose profile, good meplat. A radius meplat would improve performance I think. And I think I would have added some bands to the bottom end to reduce bearing surface.

It performed very good, passing completely through the first box into box #2. A bit off course right at the end.

Michael

This is another of Robgunbuilder's creations - his copper bore rider. I have but a few of these and figured they would be fun to test.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next the "Crayola" bullet as Rob calls it. I assume Rob is making these. I am not going to candy coat anything, I did not expect this bullet to do well because of the smallish meplat, 56% as I measured. In private, I stated as much. But honestly, I was wrong, this little 720 gr bullet and it's smallish meplat performed FAR better than I expected it to do! As you can see one to 61 inches dead straight, then veering at the end of penetration. The other to 65 only 2 inches off course. 2 inches off course in 65 inches, passing through the 1 st box is not much. It only just did so and as best I could tell was also dead straight to 60 or slightly better. The one shot that exited the top was not that far off course at the end, it was a slightly high shot into the box to begin with. I found where it bounced off the back of the range, was found in the floor, back at the FRONT of the first box. I think maybe it wanted another go at that box? HEH HEH.

I think this was very good performance for a bullet with this meplat size!

Couple of things, sharp radius and sharp base. Maybe a radius on the meplat, and bevel on the base would help loading the bullet, and help penetration as well. Overall however, I can't complain about the performance at all.

Michael

Hey Michael,
I know you and I discussed this bullet and your expectations but I am not surprised at all with your results based upon my experiences with it. It had great "multi-tree" penetration in my tests.

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
This brings us to the 900 gr Kodiak Bonded bullet. I was not very pleased with this, and to be honest I did suspect this sort of performance. I have tested and worked with other Kodiaks in the past, and got much the same performance. One of these totally broke up and went to pieces and the other gave nearly perfect performance. This is the same as what I tested other Kodiaks, some great, some break. Now, which one is the next one going to be????

Not a chance I am willing to work with. One just can never predict if this bullet will work or not? As far as I am concerned they have a quality control issue, and this is a failure, or at least a 50% failure.

Now you say "How is this different from a NonCon?" It is not predictable performance. While this core did penetrate deep, there is nothing to say the next one will? It's lead, it looses shape! No doubt about it, most animals hit with this are going to hurt bad. But being not predictable who knows what might happen on the next one?

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by srose:

Sam

Sam and IBT

Agreed. Nothing can really replace proper placement. Poor shooting is still poor shooting, no doubt. There are advantages with poor shots, with 6 blades leaving for the far corners, solid driving and ripping tissue. But still no replacement for good bullet placement.

Rob

Thank you for the info, insight, and the 600 OK, a hammer of a cartridge, no doubt about it. For those willing to make the sacrifices it is a manageable field operations tool as well. But it does take some commitment I believe. Like everything we do in shooting there are compromises that have to be made.

There is one thing however, there is no compromise in performance with the 600 OverKill with good bullets! As we have seen with the BBW#13s for sure.

I finished my tests yesterday afternoon with the 600 OverKill. No, I did not raise the velocities to full potential of the cartridge. There were several reasons for this. I contend personally that 2150 to 2200 fps is an excellent velocity to run these big 700-900 gr hammers of Thor! Beyond that is not really needed for anything elephant, hippo, buffalo, and even old T'Rex! All the test work was done without the muzzle brake. Doing the test work indoors I have LOT"S of expensive lighting, that I would just as soon not blow out with muzzle blast of the beast! So honestly while I might could have handled some more velocity from the bench without a brake, I just as soon not. And most certainly not very many of them.

All the heavier but not full potential loads were 170 gr of WW 760, Federal 215 Primers of course. I did not try and match velocity and have all bullets running at 2150 fps, they fell in where they were and that is that.

Normally I am always happy to take requests and do whatever, but this time this test is completed. HEH.... I have to get moving on some other projects, and, and, and, ! LOL....

I am going to have a separate post for each bullet test done with one exception that I will talk about below this photo.

Here was yesterdays Lineup

The one bullet I am going to discuss here before moving on is the GSC bullet. This bullet came in at 750 grs, but .615 caliber, not .620???? Not sure why. I loaded it and attempted to test anyway. One shot hit top of the box, completely sideways. I had suspected instability, so I had laid several heavy catalogs and books on top of the box to keep them in, maybe. The bullet hitting high and sideways ripped the entire top catalogs off the box, sent them flying and shredded all over the back of the range. Two lights were blown out, I can't say why, the bullet did not hit the lights, no sign of holes, fragments, nothing, just blown bulbs and broken glass everywhere. After cleanup I never found any sign of where the bullet had hit anything, not in the catalogs, no holes in the back, top or sides, that I could see easily! Where did it go? I will probably find it at some point, but right now I don't have a clue. I declined to shoot the second one on that basis. The velocity was low, being .615 I suppose lot's of gas slipped by, at only 1996 fps.

Next;

I don't remeber if I ever used the GSC in my 600OK but it was extremely accurate in my first V-C 600NE though there was no neck tension if I expanded and belled the Horneber cases. Perhaps the 600NE dies "tighten" the neck more than the 600OK dies or perhaps the brass is thicker at the neck and provided better tension. Of course I ahve no way of knowing what these did after passing through the target into the tree.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Doc

No doubt, honestly the 600 performed overall better than I expected. That 700-900 grs makes a big hammer.

I do want to mention that this rifle performed flawlessly throughout the test work, with all the bullets tested. Even the big 72% meplat S&H, the rifle gobbled them up without even a bump, I ALMOST thought it was a Winchester there for awhile, at least until I picked up the entire 13 lbs of it! LOL.......

On every test I would feed two rounds down and make the rifle work some. The only flaw I found at all can be fixed with a bastard file. Right at the top of the receiver, back of the mag, feeding the big cartridges down into the magazine, there is a SHARP edge that my right thumb took a cutting on if I was not careful, after a few cuts, I got more careful, currently sporting around with 4 cuts on the pad of my right thumb because of it. BASTARD--File! HEH....

Rifle handled well, shot well, not a horrendous animal to tame. Very nice stock, nice checkering, and overall just a fine piece of work. Feed/Function was smooth and flawless.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now for the S&H Solid, with Sharc fins, and big 72% meplat. I had little doubt as to how this big meplat solid would perform, but figured for sure that penetration would be limited because of the large meplat. Wrong again! Just when you think you can make a guess on something....... Oh Well!

This thing hammered through the first box into the second, dead straight the entire way. Agent J has done a superb job with this bullet. Nice radius, bevel base, easy to work with, and great performance, not much else to say about that, the results speak......

And they feed slick as can be in my 600OK! very accurate and complete "tree pass-through" with these as well in my experience. Of course that sort of info (tree pass-through) is completely useless and meaningless but it is fun and impressive nonetheless for us children of all ages! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hey, remember the tree that fell on your rifle the other day? Keep shooting trees with these things, and trees will eventually fall on you--moral of the story!

I don't want to hear you crying about a tree falling on you!!!! Kids, I Swear!

rotflmo

One thing all of you must keep in mind about shooting trees, solid wood, or densely packed boards. All bullets will do well in this medium. Pretty much all will penetrate straight, included the dreaded old out of date round nose solids of various types. The wood is not aqueous, and is dense enough to not allow the bullet to veer. Just FYI is all.

M

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, remember the tree that fell on your rifle the other day? Keep shooting trees with these things, and trees will eventually fall on you--moral of the story!

I don't want to hear you crying about a tree falling on you!!!! Kids, I Swear!

rotflmo

One thing all of you must keep in mind about shooting trees, solid wood, or densely packed boards. All bullets will do well in this medium. Pretty much all will penetrate straight, included the dreaded old out of date round nose solids of various types. The wood is not aqueous, and is dense enough to not allow the bullet to veer. Just FYI is all.

M

The first log cabin my cousin Frankie and I built, we cut all of the trees with axes (boundless energy, sparse brains as teens). The second was with handsaws, axes and near the end, chain saws.

I like the "shoot 'em til they fall" method that I now use best. BOOM

One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL.

But if they're not, then those some of things play a greater role. 65 to 70 % range for the nose, or the rounding of the edges are two examples. If you have two bullets of equal momentum and those things are not equal, then penetration is not proportional to momentum. horse

I was commenting on the particular case where the bullets were of the same weight and construction but the velocities differed. I find it amusing and entertaining when theories are validated by such things, but I do try not to beat on horse's corpses in the process.

Glenn

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I must tell you of a stupid thing I did, many many years ago!

When I first moved to my current location, there was nothing around me for miles. So I pretty much had free rein to do as I pleased. Back in the day of those big 12 ft diameter TV dishes, do you guys remember those things? Well, I had one of those back in the old days. One of my buddies dropped by, and I had been doing some "Limb" trimming, with a 12 ga Auto Shotgun, with slugs! Worked great, boom, boom boom, limb falls down, clear signal for the sat dish! Got the picture?

Well, my buddy had a big ford F350 Duel Wheel truck at that time. So he parked it close to the tree I was getting ready to "Trim". So we go ahead, trim that limb, about 4 inches in diameter, 3 hits or so, and it's coming down. No big deal---UNTIL we heard this whistling sound? Louder, closer, louder, until finally it hit dead in the center of the hood of his truck!!!! What the Hell?
rotflmo

One of those slugs came whistling back home! Just so happens we both were leaning, facing each other, him on one side of the hood, me on the other, the slug hammers a big dent right dead smack in the center of the hood, makes a big dent, but does not break through! Want to talk about two drop jawed, big eyed, surprised numb nuts--that was us! Needless to say, that sorta ended my days of "Limb Trimming" with shotgun slugs! I do want to mention that I do know that what goes up must come down, yes, I am aware of that, but damn I did not expect it to come back and damn near hit me in the head? What are the chances of that?

animal

Gees, some of the stupid things we do--or is this just me?

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I REALLY dont want to see a "stupid things I've done" thread.

animal animal

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gees, some of the stupid things we do--or is this just me?

No, I'm sure it's not just you, Michael. I could write an encyclopedia on the stupid things I've done! Big Grin

Just consider that another lesson in terminal ballistics! tu2

Glenn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
I REALLY dont want to see a "stupid things I've done" thread.

animal animal

SSR

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I must tell you of a stupid thing I did, many many years ago!

Like starting a 159-page thread???? :-)

Posts: 20162 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote